Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Synergy III - The Ending

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Synergy III - The Ending

Synergy III - The Ending

by pz

Summary: Sam gets to go on a date after a long spell of abstinence. Jack gives her a hand. Episode 3 in the Synergy Series.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/30/03

SYNERGY III - The Ending

Sequel to SYNERGY, and SYNERGY II - The Joining.

Sam frowned as she rifled through her wardrobe. It annoyed her that she felt like a sixteen year old. How could someone with a doctorate in astrophysics and who lived most of the time in a mountain stuffed full of America's finest men be so inexperienced when it came to the simple things in life, like dating. She did sometimes wonder how she'd managed to pass six years of her life surrounded by testosterone and managed to come out of it without any `notches on the bedhead'! Oh, sure! There had been a couple of aliens! Not that they'd gone any further than a quick kiss or in the case of Orlin, a little mental interaction! She forcibly stopped her introspection when she felt a warm presence in her mind.

`Sir! What are you doing?' she thought.

`Just gonna' say the same to you , Carter' came the reply.

`You know that we made a deal. No peeking when we're not on a mission. In fact no peeking when we're on Earth. Period!' she thought sternly.

`I know' he wheedled.

`What are you doing then?'

`Just wondering what you're doing' he said contritely.

`If you must know, I'm just going through my wardrobe' she said.

`Why?'

`I have a date tonight' she said smugly.

`A date?'

`Yes. Remember those, sir. Where you go out alone with a member of the opposite sex.'

`I remember dating, Carter. I just didn't know that you were planning a date.'

`Well, I am going out alone with a man to a restaurant for a meal. That meets the criteria' she said coyly.

`I guess' came back the thought.

She sensed distraction in his thoughts.

`As we're going somewhere fairly casual, I thought I'd dress casual' she thought quickly as she flung open her closet door.

`Casual sounds good' he said.

`What do you reckon, sir?' she asked concentrating on a soft jersey dress with long sleeves.

There was a moment's silence but she knew he was still there. She marvelled at how quickly they had adjusted to this strange joining of minds that they had inherited from that mission on P... After she'd rescued them all from that cave and Colonel O'Neill had recovered from his injuries they had sat down and discussed their situation.

`Do either of you two detect any residual after-effects of the mind joining thing' Jack asked Teal'c and Daniel.

Daniel shook his head.

`I do not believe so, O'Neill' said Teal'c solemnly.

`Well, then it looks like just Carter and me' he said placing his hands flat down on the table and staring intently at his spread fingers.

His look was unsure when he lifted his head.

`It could be militarily advantageous, sir' said Sam deliberately.

`Ya' think?' he asked hopefully.

`Of course. As your 2IC we already have a certain understanding when it comes to action in the field. This can only increase that understanding. I'll should be able to tell where you are and what you're doing. Similarly, you will be able to transmit your commands wherever we are in relation to each other. Think of all the situations in the past where it would have been useful. Distance doesn't seem to diminish the effect. When you were stuck with Maybourne on that planet. When Ba'al captured you. And of course the same applies the other way round. When I was kidnapped by Adrian Conrad, and so on and so on.'

Jack chewed his lip for a moment.

`I guess' he said slowly.

As though making up his mind, he turned to Daniel and Teal'c.

`Daniel, Teal'c if you don't mind I need to talk to Carter personally about this' he said.

Sam looked at him in amazement and watched uncomfortably as her two team members left the room. When she turned back to face her CO he was looking at her inscrutably.

`Carter, there is more to this of course'.

`There is, sir?'

`What about privacy? Personal feelings and such?' he said awkwardly.

Sam smiled at his discomfort. Jack O'Neill was the last person to talk about personal issues.

`On that last outing, sir, it seemed to me that we were learning to control how we interacted on a mental level. I think we should make an agreement not to intrude on each other's thoughts when we aren't on active duty' said Sam after a moment's thought.

Jack nodded in agreement.

`Perhaps even when we aren't off world' added Sam.

He nodded again.

`How do we stop the effects that we were feeling before. The nightmares and such?' he pondered.

`I think that we could with practise, sir. We've already learned a lot and I'm sure that I could develop some exercises to improve our proficiency.'

In the six months since that time they had settled into a mutual understanding. Neither of them intruded into the other's privacy and gradually they had learned to cut out the unplanned intrusions caused by stray thoughts and feelings. Sam felt that the mental discipline helped her in her work and she appreciated knowing that when they were off world, often in dangerous situations, that he was always there.

`It's nice!' came the interruption.

`Sir?'

`The grey dress. Nice!' his voice said in her head.

`I detect a nuance behind the `nice'' she said laughing.

`Skim though your wardrobe' he said cheekily.

Because this side of Jack O'Neill amused her, she went through her small collection of civilian clothing, one piece at a time. His comments made her laugh out loud.

`Nice!'

`Sweet!'

`Ouch. Power dressing!'

`Cool!'

`I didn't know you were an expert on women's clothing, sir' she commented.

`I'm not. I'm just a dirty old man who likes looking through his 2IC's wardrobe..... Oh Yeah! That's it....' she felt the exclamation in her head.

`Leather pants!' she said dubiously.

`Sweet!' he cried.

`Do you really think so?' she queried.

`Didn't you say casual?'

`Yes.... I suppose so.'

`Then believe an old man. Leather pants are good. Very good!'

Sam laughed at his reaction and lifted the hanger out of the wardrobe. She pulled with it a simple pale blue silk blouse and tossed them down onto the bed.

`Now if you don't mind, sir. I have to get ready for my date. And remember our agreement. No peeking.'

`Do I detect a hint of nervousness, Carter?'

`It's been a while, sir.'

`Good luck.'

`Thank you, sir.'

Sam felt momentarily saddened as his presence left her mind. She liked him being there. His presence was warm and complex. It added another dimension to her thinking somehow. She felt enfolded in a safe blanket of absolute trust and mutual admiration. She resisted the temptation to reach out and contact him, instead she reached for a towel and went for a shower.

The time passed slowly as she stood near the door. She's been ready for at least fifteen minutes and had spent most of that time fiddling with her hair and makeup. Nervously she smoothed down her soft leather pants and looked at them dubiously once more. A sharp tap on the door reminded her that it she was too late to change. He was exactly on time. Nice! She hated men who were late. Sam opened the door to face her date for the night.

`Major Carter' he said simply.

`Come in for moment whilst I get my jacket' she said nervously.

He looked nice out of uniform. Very nice in fact. Very, very nice! His tall physique suited the dark shirt and pants he was wearing. He carried his jacket neatly folded over one arm, a small bunch of flowers held casually in the other hand. He held them out for her.

`For you' he said simply.

`Thank you' she said shyly as she raised them to her nose and inhaled their glorious perfume, 'They're beautiful'.

He watched her in silence as she filled a small vase with water and arranged the simple bunch in it. Satisfied, she stood back and surveyed her work.

`Perfect' she said with a sigh.

`Glad you liked 'em' he said.

She shot him a wide grin. With a small nod, he gestured towards his car.

`Shall we go?'

`Of course. And please will you call me Sam' she said shyly as she passed him in the doorway, turning only to lock her door.

`Sam' he said experimentally.

They didn't talk much on the way to the restaurant, but Sam didn't feel uncomfortable. He was a man you could feel at ease with. What conversation they did have was casual small talk about various people on the base. She found herself laughing once or twice and she gradually relaxed. At the restaurant he was attentive, opening her door for her and holding her hand gently as she got out of the car. He released her immediately she was standing and she smiled as he grinned at her. In the restaurant, he'd booked a quiet booth towards the back of the restaurant and she appreciated the privacy. She knew that if she were spotted by other members of the SGC, she'd be tomorrow's hot topic for the gossip mongers.

She sat facing him and he handed her a menu and the wine list.

`I'm driving, so you choose' he said simply.

She nodded and picked a simple Sicilian red to go with her lasagne. He picked a pizza and then sat back against the padded backrest and looked at her, one eyebrow raised inquisitively.

`You look nice' he said.

She found herself blushing at the compliment.

`So do you' she said without thinking, and then she blushed again.

`We get too used to wearing uniform I guess' he said, 'you tend to forget what people look like in real clothes.'

`Mmm' she murmured.

He sighed and leaned forwards, his hands clasped on the table in front of him.

`I haven't done this in a long time' he admitted, staring down at his hands.

`Me neither' she said.

`We are all guilt of getting wrapped up in our jobs. We tend to forget that there is a life outside the mountain' he said.

`It's that sort of job. It does tend to rule your whole life' she said seriously.

`Some people manage to have both' he said seriously.

`Like who?' she asked.

`General Hammond. He has a family. He manages enough time to see his grandkids grow up' he said.

`That doesn't count. He had his family before he came to the mountain' she countered.

`Sergeant Davis. He's engaged to Lieutenant Carlotta you know' he said.

Her jaw dropped.

`Really! I didn't know that. But she's on SG11, isn't she?'

`Yeah. They seem happy. So it shows it is possible. There are a few marriages outside the SG teams as well' he muttered.

`I suppose so' she said awkwardly.

`Sam, let's not talk about work' he said suddenly.

She looked at him, feeling surprised at his request.

`OK' she said slowly.

`I'd like to more about you outside work. Everyone knows about the amazing Major Carter in the mountain. We all know how many times you've saved the world. I'd like to know more about Sam' he said quietly.

Sam blushed again and wondered what it was about this man that could make her respond like that.

`Tell me something about yourself that I don't already know' he pushed.

She thought for a moment and then laughed.

`I love dancing' she said.

`You do?' he said, his eyebrows straining towards his hairline.

`When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a dancer, but I was too tall by the time I reached ten' she said with a shrug.

He smiled at her.

`I'll bet you move really well' he said.

She put her hand to her cheek to hide yet another telltale blush. Fortunately their food arrived at that moment and they concentrated on demolishing it. She giggled at his small talk as he chattered away to her as she ate. The wine made her feel deliciously relaxed and by the time they'd finished deserts, she wasn't at all sure she would be able to walk a straight line if she had to. He watched her with a barely suppressed grin.

`Now, it's time to prove what you were saying earlier' he said, holding a hand out to her.

She looked at the hand and then realised that there was a small knot of people dancing in a cleared area between the tables. She blinked uncertainly. He leaned forward slightly and took her hand in his, moving out to stand beside her. He gave her a soft tug and she stood up next to him. Without speaking he pulled her gently towards the swaying couples and walking to an empty space in the centre of the group he turned to face her and held out his arm. For the first time she saw uncertainty on his face, so she quickly took a step forward and draped her arm around his neck, resting her face on his shoulder with a sigh. She felt one arm wrap around her lower back, the other round her shoulders. She arched her back instinctively, pressing herself against his warm body. She felt his breath on her cheek as he groaned almost inaudibly. The arm round her shoulder shifted, and his hand slid up her spine and finally tangled gently in her hair. She closed her eyes, enjoying the contact between them as his arms pinned her to him. They moved in time with the music and for the first time that night she opened her mind. She felt a familiar consciousness enter hers. She squirmed in her date's embrace.

`Carter! How's the date?'

`Amazing. Wonderful. Surprising!'

She felt his hesitancy.

`Really?'

`Really! Better than I ever imagined'.

`Oh!' he said.

`What are you going to do now?' he asked.

`That just depends' she said coyly.

`On what?' he asked.

`On what he wants. I know what I want to happen. I guess that you can read my mind and see that' she said.

`Don't you mind?' he asked.

`Mind what?'

`Me reading your mind?'

`No' she said simply.

There was no verbal communication as she felt the vibrant touch of his mind wrap around hers. It was the first time that she'd completely opened up to him. She knew that it was her current situation that had relaxed her normally tight defences and she felt that he trod carefully, intruding only into those areas that she wanted him to enter. His touch was firm and sure and she revelled in his presence in her thoughts.

`I understand' he finally said `I hope you get everything that you want. You deserve it, Carter.'

At that he left her and she felt strangely alone.

Sam felt her date stir as he readjusted his arms, allowing them to slide down and wrap around her lower back. She leaned back slightly so she could see his face. His eyes were inscrutable as he spoke.

`Shall we go?' he said simply.

Sam nodded and he turned away, quickly paying the bill and then grabbing her jacket from the hooks near the bar, he took her hand again and drew her out of the door. Sam's head was swimming as she allowed herself to be drawn towards his car. He stopped by the wall before they got there, sensing her compliance.

`Sam. I can drop you home. This is only our first date.'

She shook her head mutely.

`I want you to come back with me' she said steadily.

`I hope that there'll be more dates' he persisted.

She nodded.

`I hope so too' she said, running her hands up his strong chest. She could feel his muscles tense under the soft fabric of his shirt. He caught hold of her hands and looked straight into her eyes.

`You know what I want' she said simply, her eyes looking huge as she looked up at him.

He nodded and with a smooth movement he lowered his head, tilting it slightly to one side and kissing her softly. He felt her lean towards him and his hands found themselves grasping her face. She pressed harder against him, her arms wrapped tightly around him. He couldn't bring himself to break the kiss and he moaned as her mouth opened beneath his, her tongue tentatively running along his lips. With an enormous force of will, he pulled away from her and buried his face into her neck, breathing in her scent in great gulps.

`Oh God, Sam!' he said heavily.

She took his hand and pulled him towards the car.

Sam looked in amazement at the strong face laid on the pillow next to her. She ran one finger along his jaw line and leaning over she planted a soft kiss on his forehead. With a murmur he turned towards her and his hands crept up and pulled her down onto his shoulder protectively. She closed her eyes and allowed her mind to open as she wrapped her arms and legs round him, revelling in the touch of skin on skin.

As she relaxed, she felt Jack O'Neill's presence tentatively enter her head.

`Happy?' he asked her in her thoughts.

`Can't you tell, sir' she replied simply.

`I guess I can. I wouldn't have thought that you were the kind of girl to kiss on the first date' he said after a moment.

`We did a lot more than kiss, sir' she said brazenly.

`I know. I have an admission to make' he said nervously.

`Yes, sir?'

`I peeked' he thought.

`I know' she said.

`You do?' he thought.

`Oh yes. I always know when you're there' she thought.

`How do you know? I mean how do you know that you know when I'm there?' he said, a feeling of confusion attached to his thoughts.

She mentally giggled.

`Well, I knew that time' she replied.

`Oh!'

`Actually I peeked as well' she said.

`You peeked into my mind or your date's mind' he asked.

`Sir, you know that you're one and the same person' she said wickedly.

`Oh yeah. I'd forgotten that' he said, transmitting a laugh.

`I wasn't sure that you approved when General Hammond said that seeing as we were mentally joined (albeit against our wills), he couldn't see the sense in us staying physically separated' she thought tentatively.

`I wasn't sure that I did' he said honestly.

`And now?' she asked, very softly.

`Now I realise that we've been joined physically and mentally for a long time before we went to P..... The rest was purely technical' he said simply.

She felt the honesty of his admission.

`And how did you find the technicalities? Did they reach your expectations?' she asked cheekily.

He nuzzled into her neck before replying in a muffled voice.

`Expectations fully met, Major'.

She stifled a laugh and purred instead.

`I'm glad that you're satisfied with my work, Colonel'.

`Completely satisfied,' he mumbled before raising his head and gazing into her eyes.

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz