Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Return Home From A Battlefield

by Jean
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Return Home From A Battlefield

The Return Home From A Battlefield

by Jean

Summary: A welcome return.
Category: Angst
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/20/05

The Battlefield Series Part Three
The Return Home From A Battlefield
-------------------------------
The wormhole bursts into life in the gateroom. General George Hammond ('Of Texas', he mentally adds, as he can internally appreciate Master Bra'tac's extension of his appellation, even if he won't admit it out loud due to the ridiculous amount of jocular head rubbing and that would undoubtedly follow) looks nervously out of the control room towards the gate. Yes, he has been apprised of the Major's condition. Yes, he knows she is safe. But being verbally informed doesn't matter when any of his people are missing. However, this isn't just anybody. He will only, as always, allow himself to feel a small wave of relief when they come through the gate and he can see that she is alive.
Major Samantha Carter. An extraordinary person in so many ways. He was honest enough to admit to himself that she was one of the truly special ones. The kind of outstanding officer he had been fortunate enough to have serve with or for him on less than a handful of occasions during his long military career. And as time went on, an officer whose place on the premier SGC combat team had been quite rightfully questioned by those working in thinner atmosphere. He has always been determined to defend her position to the hilt. There is no question that she is a skilled and supremely talented soldier. As time goes on, though, he is finding it harder to argue against the requests from above to stop risking that unique intellect and knowledge. She is vitally important to the interests of Earth. But none of this is important now. Major Samantha Carter is not an intangible name on a sheet of paper to him, a sheet of paper just showing what she can do with the laws of physics. She is a young woman of great intelligence and experience in this peculiar field, yes, but she is also a young woman of warm charisma, with a kindness that cannot help but draw people to her. As the CO of this base, he hopes for the safe return of the intangible of these Major Samantha Carters, but this will is overridden by the emotional drive of George Hammond to see the captivating smile of Sam, the brilliant young lady he has come to see almost as one of his own daughters. He gazes at the gate. "Come on people, bring her home."
-------------------------------
She is here. She is safe. He takes just a fraction of a moment to enjoy his relief at the situation before seeing that something is just a little out of whack with the returning group.
It is rare that the return of an injured officer involves any reaction other than a grim satisfaction at the completion of a successful journey home on the part any of his personnel. Extreme levity is something he would never expect. But General Hammond is pretty sure that that is the case out there, in front of him, in the gateroom, right now. Colonel Dixon, one of his finest officers, looks about fit to burst into hysterical laughter on the ramp. Lieutenant Corrin and Nurse Barton are hardly any better. Teal'c is...well, Teal'c, but given his experience with the stoic Jaffa, the General cannot help but think that there is a huge amount of amusement writ large in the menacing warrior's left eyebrow. Doctor Frazier, on the other hand, is all business, though again he can't fail to notice that her customary sharp orders are being handed out with a slight grin.
She looks at the medical team that has been assembled for her in the gateroom. "It's a simple fracture. She needs no more than a cast, a couple of stiches on her forehead and some anti-inflammatories with support for her hand and wrist. Up on to the gurney. One...two...three...up." The move is accomplished with the innate professionalism that General Hammond finds both amazing (by ordinary standards) and yet commonplace (by the massively high standards he had come to expect from his diminutive CMO). The patient does not even wake. If he is not mistaken, she may even be snoring. Incredible.
The stargate brings home the last of his men. Colonel Jack O'Neill steps into the SGC, glances towards his 2IC, making sure she is receiving adequate medical care and sends a jaunty wave in his direction. Good God, is he nearly smiling too? And an odd near smile, to boot. It is all too strange.
"All returnees to the infirmary." Not that he is terribly concerned about their health, you understand (though naturally he is), but he really wants to find out what is so damned funny.
-------------------------------
As he joins the miniature convoy moving up towards the infirmary, it really doesn't take the General long to get his answer. And he is glad that for once he doesn't have to take his stars and hit people over the head with them to get it.
In the elevator, the still madly amused looking Dixon is the first to speak. "So, our dear l'il tyrant, she's gonna be ok?"
Doctor Frazier glares melodramatically across the gurney. "Yes, Colonel Dixon. She will be fine. And if I may remind you, I have the power of the needle over you as well." She glances over towards Jack, who, at this moment, is leaning nonchalantly in the corner. She doesn't quite manage to keep the smile out of her voice. "Although I can't see you for at least an hour."
Major Carter is still sleeping.
Dixon looks suitably chastised. O'Neill seems relatively unbothered by the good Doctor's statement, but as it was directed at him, Hammond can only guess that some names, possibly regarding various world leaders seriously lacking in democratic policy, were exchanged off planet. Now that is funny. 'So long as it doesn't affect base operations', his generally General-like side intones in his mind, before he tells it to be quiet. Now all he needs to know is the name of the tyrant. One of the benefits of being base commander is that information is only available on a need to know basis. As base commander, he needs to know everything. This is an absolute rule and he knows it, because he just created it. Isn't command great?
The elevator comes to a standstill and the doors open. As her patient is comfortable, Doctor Frazier allows the others to leave it before she and Nurse Barton push the gurney out. The General moves with them. As they pass Colonel Dixon, he cannot resist he urge to speak.
"You know what I'm getting you for Christmas, Doc? A hat." His warm smile almost splits his face as he moves his hand in an odd triangular motion over the top of his head.
Doctor Janet Frazier does not grace him with an answer, but all is suddenly clear to George Hammond.
He cannot help but sympathise. "Napoleon, Doctor?"
She sends him a smile back. "Yes, General."
Hammond grins. "Oh, I've had that too, in my time. I think you'd look adorable in a tricorn, Doctor Frazier."
She puts on an extraodinarily vapid look and utilises a surprisingly good southern accent. "Why, thank you, General." Suddenly, the look and the accent are gone as she glances back at Colonel Dixon. "One hour, Colonel." Oh, now that is a hard voice!
Dixon has the nous to look a tad worried. Colonel O'Neill, however, barely notices when she turns to him. "With us, Sir." It is only when he needs a second call that the General realises that he hasn't been that nonchalant at all. His attention has been fixed elsewhere. To be precise, on the gurney.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jean