Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Mark II Part 4

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mark II Part 4

Mark II Part 4

by pz

Summary: The story of the clones continues.
Category: Future Story, Romance, Series, Other
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/13/04

Mark II Part 4.

C2 barely had time to see the event horizon splash into existence before O2 carried her though.

END OF PART 3.............................

General George Hammond wore a strange expression as he waited for Colonel Jack O'Neill and Major Samantha Carter to join him in his office. He'd had the kind of message that no longer surprised him after seven years of running the stargate project. But even he didn't know how he was going to break his news to his senior officer and a senior member of his staff.

After a brief tap, Colonel Jack O'Neill opened the General's door with a crash. He winced and looked contrite, shrugging in apology as Sam Carter followed him into the room, a faint smile on her face.

`Sit down, Colonel, Major' said the General, wasting no time.

Jack looked at his CO with narrowed eyes before sitting down next to the General's desk.

`I've had a message from the Alpha site. It appears that we are about to receive a couple of guests' said Hammond.

`Oh yes?' said O'Neill curiously, `anyone we know'.

`In a way!' said Hammond, `One of them claims to be O'Neill and the other Carter'.

O'Neill screwed up his face.

`Another alternate universe thing?' he asked.

`Not this time' said Hammond.

`Then I don't understand, sir' said Sam with a puzzled expression.

`Clones' said Hammond, his pursed lips showing his disapproval.

`What another?' exclaimed Jack, `Thor never said that there was any more. Carter too?'

Sam just gaped at her CO in shock.

`When do we get to meet them?' asked Jack interestedly.

`In about five minutes' said Hammond, glancing at his watch, `I suggest we go down to the gate room and welcome them to the SGC'.

Sam and Jack followed him down to the stargate and waited at one side.

Casually, Jack leaned towards her and whispered in her ear, `Hey, when did they take the tissue sample from you?'

Sam looked at him speculatively, and thought for a moment.

`When I went with Thor to blow up the O'Neill, I guess' she said with a shrug.

`Ah!' sighed Jack.

Sam felt unusually anxious as the event horizon splashed into existence. Suddenly she noticed the medical team stood at the opposite side at the same instance as two figures appeared on the ramp. She heard O'Neill's voice from beside her.

`What the hell!...'.

She understood his reaction as she looked at them. The new O'Neill looked very much like a younger version of the man stood at her side. He was obviously older than the previous clone that they'd met and he was full grown. His arm was wrapped round the hunched figure at his side. As Sam watched, the young woman swayed and started to crumple up beside the younger O'Neill. Before she could run up the metal ramp, young O'Neill scooped her up in his arms and looked defiantly at them.

`Can't you see, she needs help' he shouted.

His voice triggered the medical team into action and they hurried up the slope with a gurney, laying the young woman on it and then pushing it quickly towards the infirmary. The young O'Neill ran at it's side, his hand gripping hers.

`That was unexpected!' said Jack, rubbing his hand through his hair.

Sam said nothing. She'd noticed the obviously heavily pregnant condition of the young woman.

Outside the infirmary Jack looked with interest at the younger version of himself. The young man scowled at him.

`What do they call you?' asked Jack kindly.

`O2'.

`That's different!' drawled Jack.

`It means O'Neill 2'.

`Two? How many are there?' asked Jack.

`We know of three. You've already met O3. He got to come home'.

`What happened to O1?' asked Jack interestedly, ignoring the other man`s reference to the SGC being `home`.

`He failed'.

`Failed?' said Jack with a frown.

`I think that's what I said' snapped the younger man, `So did C1 and C3.'

`You mean they didn't survive?' asked Jack dumbly.

`That is what I said. They failed'.

`And C1 & C3. That's Carter 1 and 3?' asked Jack.

The young man nodded.

`So that's C2?' asked Jack nodding towards the infirmary door.

`Maybe you are smarter than you look' snapped young O'Neill sarcastically.

`Well I'm not calling you O2' mumbled Jack, partly to himself, `maybe Jon?'

`O2's served me fine so far' said O2, `but you can call me Jon if you like! What about C2?'

`Maybe Sam?' suggested Jack.

`But what about Major Carter?' asked Jon.

`She's just Carter' said Jack simply.

The infirmary door swung open and Doctor Janet Fraser walked briskly out, peeling off a pair of latex gloves as she spoke.

`Our visitor is fine and so are the babies. I've given her something to stop the contractions. I think it's a good idea if she lasted a little longer before those babies are born' she said efficiently.

`Babies?' said Jon, sitting down suddenly on one of the plastic moulded chairs that lined the infirmary corridor.

`You mean you didn't know?' asked Janet kindly, `Well there are two I think. But in the meanwhile I need to ask you some questions'.

`Can I see her?' asked Jon anxiously.

`Just for a minute' said Doctor Fraser, `I'll wait out here for you. Major Carter is with her at the moment'.

She watched the young man straighten his shirt and run a quick hand through his hair.

`And don't tire her. She needs rest' Janet shouted after him as the infirmary doors closed behind him.

She turned towards Jack.

`He really is a lot like you, Colonel' she said with a smile.

`Am I the only one who finds this whole thing kinda spooky?' asked Jack.

`I don't think so,' said Janet, `I think Major Carter is a mild state of shock at the moment!'.

`I can understand that' said Jack.

`We need to talk about what's going to happen to these kids, and the babies' said Janet, becoming efficient again.

`From what I can gather, the babies were conceived naturally, but she insists that she's only been pregnant for three weeks. She seems to think that the babies should be born after four' said Janet with a shrug.

Jack sat down heavily.

`Four weeks!!' he exclaimed.

`I know it sounds bizarre, but we know that the Asgard employed some kind of accelerated growth with the last clone that we came in contact with. I have tested a blood sample, and there is no doubt that the young woman laid in there is effectively Major Samantha Carter. The only measurable difference is the lack of protein marker that Jolinar left in our Major Carter.'

`Wait till I get my hands on that little grey sonofabitch. He said nothing about there being any more' said Jack snappily.

`Well, Colonel, if there is one, there could be any number more. It only takes one cell to produce a clone` said Janet.

He looked at her in silence and then groaned and put his head into his hands.

`I think that the accelerated growth has been problematical for them because of the twins. Thor probably didn't plan for twins, but it will happen sometimes' said Janet.

`You mean the Asgard planned to breed these two? What for?' asked Jack, looking up at her again.

`Sexual reproduction can have distinct advantages over the Asgard method of asexual reproduction. It means mixing the genes from a gene pool into unlimited combinations. They obviously saw traits in both you and Major Carter that they thought could be useful to them. By mixing those gene pools, they are hoping to get the good bits of both of you all wrapped up in one package.'

`But they could get the bad bits?' asked Jack.

`There is that risk' said Janet.

`I suppose they'd be all mine. Carter doesn't have too many bad bits' mumbled Jack.

Janet smiled at his reaction at the same moment that the infirmary door swung open.

Jon and Carter walked out together, both of them smiling.

`How's the patient?' asked Jack, watching his 2IC's reaction carefully.

She seemed to be more relaxed than when their visitors first appeared. He'd noticed her initial reaction to the girl.

`She's much better,' said Jon before turning towards Janet Fraser, `and, thanks'.

`You're welcome' she said, `but I need to talk to you, young man'.

Jon followed her compliantly as she headed for her office.

`He's not a bad kid' said Jack, watching them.

`Neither's she. It must be pretty frightening. The things that they're going through' said Carter, `She told me that they've run away from the Asgard. They found out what Thor was planning.'

Jack frowned.

`S' funny. I didn't think the Asgard the type of folks to use people in this way' he said.

`It sounds like they're pretty desperate' said Carter, `and when you're that desperate who can say how far any of us will go?'

`He reminds me of someone' she added.

`Jon?'

`Jon!'

`It seems that he's called O2, which is a little odd, so we agreed that he can be called Jon. He seems happy with that. And she's Sam instead of C2' said Jack.

`Sam?'

`Well you're always Carter' said Jack, a little shamefaced.

Carter looked thoughtful for a moment and then she smirked.

`MacGuyver!' she said, `He looks like a young MacGuyver!'

`That means that I do' said Jack, preening himself.

`Really, sir?' said Carter, pretending to look disinterested.

`Carter!' he warned.

Sam flashed him one of her dazzling smiles before looking more serious.

`What's going to happen to them, sir?' she asked.

`That's something we're going to have to talk about with Thor' said Jack.

`What happens if they want to stay here?' she asked.

`I guess that's up to Hammond' said Jack thoughtfully, `but what happens about the accelerated growth rate? Does that mean that they`ll be older than us in a few months?'.

`I don't think so, sir. From what we saw with the last one, the acceleration seems to slow down once they leave the influence of the Asgard.'

Jack considered this explanation.

`It might be better if they go somewhere else, I mean off Earth. I wouldn't like to think that the NID got hold of them' said Carter.

`There are plenty of friendly planets out there that I wouldn't mind retiring to' said Jack.

`Yes, sir' said Carter. She suddenly felt an unexplained depression, so turned away from him.

`I have work to finish, sir' she said turning to walk in the direction of her laboratory.

Jack watched her for a second and then pushing his hands in his pockets, he followed her, whistling nonchalantly. He reached the elevator just as the doors were closing behind her, so he stopped them closing, walked in behind her and waited until they'd reclosed.

`So, Carter, how are you doing with this clone thing?' he asked casually as the elevator rose.

`It was a bit of a shock, sir' she said carefully.

`Yeah,' said Jack, 'See the colour of his hair? I'd almost forgotten'

Sam smiled.

`And the length of hers' she added as the doors opened.

To be Continued in part 5................

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz