Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

I Dream of a Time

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I Dream of a Time

I Dream of a Time

by pz

Summary: Set in the far future. Inspired by a half heard line of poetry on TV. A little scene between our favourite couple.
Category: Future Story, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/23/03

I Dream of a Time When - I Can be Lazy.

Started with a poem I half heard on TV. Set twenty odd years into the future! Now I've got that out of my head I can get back to the ten other half written stories sitting on the drawing board!!

J/S warning!

Jack watched the motes of dust as they danced lazily in the beams of light that streamed between the rough poles supporting his porch roof. It was late afternoon and he'd spent most of the day doing .... absolutely nothing! He'd read a little, but now his reading glasses lay cast aside on the porch table. A fishing rod was leant against his chair and he reached over and pulled it towards him. He carefully traced the fine nylon line as it ran from the reel, through the metal rings and back down to where the hook was slipped under the bottom loop. His busy fingers quickly untangled a small knot and he sighed contentedly.

Carrying the rod lightly in one hand he strolled down to the worn decking and with a slight groan he crouched down before sitting heavily on the bleached planking. He shuffled his legs into a comfortable position and with a soft sigh leant back against a wooden post.

He watched the ripples as the line cut through the mirror like surface of the water. He smiled ever so slightly as he heard the soft footsteps rustle in the grass and smoothly he moved the rod into one hand in preparation.

She held her breath as she tried to edge silently towards his back. She moved fluidly as she reached out one hand toward his silver hair. Before she reached him, his hand shot out and caught her around the wrist in a firm grasp. She squealed in frustration as he let out a cry of triumph.

`You still can't catch me, Carter!'

`It's only a matter of time' she muttered and he turned and grinned at her smugly.

`What, twenty years not long enough?' he sniggered.

Looking down at her wrist, still firmly in his grasp, Sam relaxed and flopped down beside him and leant against his shoulder. He released her arm, slid his hand around her shoulders and let his fingers twine themselves in the silvering strands of her hair. He liked the way her hair shone in the evening light.

`T called' she said after a moment.

`Mmm' he murmured sleepily.

`He said Ry'ac is getting married'.

`He is?' asked Jack interestedly.

`And we're invited' she added.

`We are?' he repeated.

`Sure' she said

`Cool!' he muttered.

They drifted into a companionable silence as the light slowly dimmed and the sun dipped below the tops of the surrounding mountains. Jack tightened his arm round Sam's shoulders as she shivered in the rapidly cooling air. He pressed his lips to her forehead.

`Cold?' he asked softly.

She nodded against his cheek and he quickly reeled in his line, deftly stowing his rod under one arm before standing up and offering her a hand up.

As they walked back to the cabin, Sam glanced up at the brilliant stars that were just starting to appear in the darkening sky.

`Looking for dad?' asked Jack.

`It's odd, isn't it? I'm rapidly catching him up in physical age' said Sam thoughtfully.

`I past him a while ago!' grimaced Jack.

Sam grinned up at him.

`Does that make you granddad?' she asked cheekily.

`Still young enough to catch you' he countered, making a grab for her.

Sam laughed as she allowed herself to be caught up by his long arms. She snuggled into his embrace as he nuzzled her ear. She turned her face up to his and caught his lips with her own. They stood for a while, lost in their embrace.

`Do you miss it?' she whispered.

He knew what she was asking.

`Sure! So do you' he said simply.

`I miss the doohickeys' she said, 'the washing machine doesn't offer quite the same challenges'.

Jack grinned.

`I don't miss the snakeheads' he added.

`Do you regret it?' she asked, her eyes gazing up at him.

`Never' he said forcefully, 'All the best things in my life happened after it all ended. You, and then Jenny.'

Sam grinned broadly at the mention of their daughter,

`She's so like you' she said.

`Ya think?' he said proudly.

`Oh yes' said Sam wryly.

`Ya mean she's got my brains?' he asked cheekily.

Sam shook her head and distained to answer.

`I miss her like hell now she's at college' he said.

`I know' said Sam, giving him a peck on the cheek.

Inside the wooden cabin, Jack walked over to the sofa and sat down heavily, resting his head on the cushioned back. Sam watched him and walked over to stand behind him, her hands resting on his shoulders.

`Hey Colonel sir, how about a shoulder massage?' she whispered into his ear.

`I seem to remember that's how you caught me the first time, General' he said.

`I wasn't a General then' said Sam.

`Oh no, Major wasn't it?' he said, `sweet little Miss Major Samantha Carter. My 2IC. Going totally against regs and seducing her CO.'

`I don't remember you objecting, and besides you only had a week to go before you retired!'

`I was an innocent!' he protested.

`Innocent, my foot!' she snorted.

`The ink was barely dry on my retirement letter, before you paid me that little visit to my office and offered to massage my shoulders' he simpered.

`Well, all the other officers enjoyed it, I thought that you would too, but obviously I was mistake... `

`What other officers!!' he snarled.

Sam leaned forward and nibbled his ear, making him squirm'

`There was never any others' she whispered.

`Mmmm' he murmured contentedly.

`Can you remember how you offered to drive me home, only we never made it?' she asked.

Jack smiled lazily.

`How could I ever forget? You never made it home again, did you?' he smirked `I seem to remember that you`d taken over my bathroom and my life before I even knew what hit me`.

Sam ran her hands over his shoulders and rubbed at the still firm muscles with her thumbs, until his eyes closed slowly.

`I feel so lazy just sitting here letting a beautiful woman rub my shoulders' he muttered sleepily.

Sam watched him. She traced the familiar outlines of his face with her eyes as she massaged and bending over, she lightly kissed his eyelid. He stirred and murmured softly. She moved her lips closer to his ear.

`You deserve it, sir. You deserve to feel lazy. When I was on some godforsaken planet, chasing the enemy, knee deep in mud and you were at home with Jenny, I used to dream of a time when I could be lazy. I dreamt of a time when we would sit together with nothing to do, no-one to save, nobody to fight, just be together' she whispered.

Suddenly his eyes opened, startling her and she pulled away slightly as he looked quizzically into hers.

`I dreamt of it too' he said simply, `Even before we were together'.

`Me too' she grinned and leaning down she kissed him softly.

THE END.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz