Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Family Ties

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Family Ties

Family Ties

by pz

Summary: In response to challenge 1968. Sam gets the wrong end of the stick.
Category: Challenge
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 06/29/03

Challenge 1968 - Family Ties

As usual, the story wrote itself, I just press the keys, so not my fault if I've deviated from the challenge. That's my story anyway.

General George Hammond looked warily at the visitor presently occupying the visitor's chair in his office.

`Major Carter would be invaluable on this project. Her expertise in wormhole physics is unequalled and I think that her country's needs outweigh those of the SGC' said Colonel Harry Maybourne, his face looking determined.

General Hammond sighed.

`Major Carter is an active member of an operative team, currently involved in an ongoing mission that may save this planet one day' he said, his voice raising in pitch as he spoke.

`I understand that, and I'm sure that the president understands and appreciates the work that SG1 are doing, but never the less, Major Carter remains the best chance that this project has of succeeding' said Maybourne, his jaw set in a determined clench.

`I will not order Major Carter to participate in this' said Hammond, equally determined, `but I will give you the chance to put your point of view, and then it's up to the Major'.

Maybourne thought for a moment and then nodded. Hammond picked up his phone and spoke quickly.

`Sergeant, please ask Major Carter to come to my office as soon as possible' he said shortly.

Sam was striding down the corridor when the red flashing light interrupted her train of thought.

`Unscheduled gate activation' announced the loudspeaker system.

Sam stopped immediately, turned and jogged back towards the gate room. Just as she reached the door she almost ran headlong into Jack O'Neill. She nodded simply towards him.

`Sir' she said.

`Carter' he replied, his raised eyebrow and shrug showed her that he didn't know anything about their unexpected visitor.

Before Sam had time to climb the stairs to the control room, the Sergeant jogged around the corner and called out her name

`Major Carter! General Hammond would like to see you in his office immediately' said Sergeant McManus.

Sam looked anxiously towards the gate room and then at her CO. Jack simply shrugged again, so with a sigh, Sam turned round and headed for the General's office. As she turned the corner she heard the technician's voice, `Audio transmission only!'.

Sam looked at Colonel Maybourne suspiciously as she entered the General`s office.

`Colonel' she said succinctly.

Maybourne smiled at her, which immediately caused Sam to feel ill at ease.

`Major' said General Hammond, `Colonel Maybourne has a proposition to make to you. What I have said to him is that I will leave the decision up to you. I will not order you to participate. Do you understand me, Major?'

Sam frowned and then nodded, `Yes, sir'.

`I am hoping to tempt you into leading a team that the pentagon is putting together under the command of General O'Malley' said Maybourne.

`I'm sorry, sir. I don't understand. I am currently assigned to SG1' said Sam looking at General Hammond for confirmation, a worried crease appearing between her eyebrows.

`I'm aware of your current assignment, Major Carter' said Maybourne `What I'm hoping to do today is to persuade you to accept this position, even if only on a temporary basis initially. I would like to add that I have the full backing of the President'

`I still don't see, Colonel! Colonel O'Neill is my commanding officer. Does he know of this request?' she asked Maybourne before turning and looking at the General.

`Colonel O'Neill does not know' acknowledged the General.

`Please just listen to what I'm offering, Major. You might just find it too tempting to turn down and I'm sure that Colonel O'Neill would be the last person to stand in the way of advancement for one of his officers' said Maybourne sweetly.

Sam waited silently.

`General O'Malley's team is attempting to utilise known wormhole physics to create a stargate of our own. We have a team of ten of the most brilliant minds working on this, and what I'm here to do is persuade you to take the role of leading that team' said Maybourne.

Sam gaped at him.

`The long and short of it is, Major, that if you don't want the job, I am authorised to offer it to Doctor MacKay who, although he doesn't have your experience, does have some exposure to the stargate' said Maybourne with a smirk.

Sam's astonishment turned to annoyance.

`Colonel Maybourne! Why do I get the feeling that I'm being blackmailed into accepting this job?' snapped Sam.

Maybourne shook his head.

`Not blackmail, Major Carter. I prefer the word persuade' said Maybourne.

`Well, Colonel that means that I am free to turn down your offer?' said Sam quietly but firmly.

`Perhaps so, although I'm not sure that it would enhance your career to do so' admitted Maybourne.

`Permission to go?' asked Sam, her voice barely concealing the anger that she felt.

`Granted' said Hammond.

`You'll regret this, Major' said Maybourne, standing as Sam turned to face the door.

`With all due respect, I doubt it, Colonel' snapped Sam before turning on her heel and leaving.

Sam's frustration was just starting to turn to confusion when she saw Colonel Jack O'Neill leaning against the corridor wall. He was scuffing the toe of one boot against the concrete floor, his expression distant. He looked up when he heard Sam close the door behind herself.

`Carter' he said absently.

Sam spoke quietly, `Sir, do you have a few minutes to spare? I'd like to discuss something with you'.

Jack flashed her a quick curious glance before closing down his expression.

`Sorry, Carter. I gotta speak to Hammond about something.'

Sam spoke quickly her eyes flicking away from Jack towards the peeling paint on the wall behind him, `Oh! Sorry sir'.

She moved quickly, feeling herself starting to blush as she passed him. Before she reached the steps he called out and Sam stopped, turning to face him.

`Carter! Carter! Wait up.'

`Yes sir?' she said.

`Look, I'm sorry. You can see me after I've spoken to Hammond if you need to' said Jack, shuffling his feet and nonchalantly thrusting his hands into his pockets.

Sam shook her head, just a little too vigorously, `No. No sir. It doesn't matter, really! But you should know that Colonel Maybourne is in with the General at the moment'.

Jack frowned.

`What's that little creep want now? Somehow that guy just manages to take all the fun out of everything' he muttered to himself. When Jack looked up he realised that Sam had gone and he sighed, running one hand through his short scrubby hair. Turning, he headed for the General's office.

`So you see, General. Laira has asked for our help. Their population is so small that it's barely sustainable now, and this epidemic should be easily cured by our basic antibiotics. I don't see how we can turn them down' said Jack succinctly.

Hammond nodded in agreement, `You're right, Colonel. Speak to Dr. Fraiser and see what we can arrange.'

`Thank you sir' said Jack, `Hmm, sir?'

`Yes, Colonel?'

`I believe that Colonel Maybourne paid a visit?'

General Hammond sighed and leaned back in his chair.

`He was trying to recruit Major Carter for a pet project of the President's' he said.

Jack's eyebrows shot up and he looked at the General silently, waiting for him to continue.

`What sort of project?'

`Scientific, rather than military' said Hammond cautiously.

Jack looked down at his hands as he spoke.

`What did she say?' he asked, his hunched shoulders betraying his seemingly casual enquiry.

`Major Carter turned down the Colonel's offer, and to be completely honest I'm not sure whether it was the correct decision' said Hammond thoughtfully. He watched for the Colonel's reaction.

Jack's eyes flashed as he looked back up at the General. They were even darker than usual.

`Why?' he asked quietly.

`It would probably be a good career move' said Hammond, `The project has backing at the very highest level. And I`m talking about the oval office here`.

`I see' said Jack, his eyes drifting back down, his hands clasped , `With your permission sir, I`ll make the arrangements for Laira`s people. '

The General nodded his agreement, knowing his 2IC well enough not to say any more on an issue that he suspected was very close to the Colonel`s heart.

Sam rubbed her eyes as she leaned back from the microscope. She was finding it hard to concentrate and her head was starting to ache. She had been tracking a circuit constructed at the molecular level for over two days, without a breakthrough.

`Watchya doin'?' said a voice from behind her.

She jumped irritably.

`Do you like sneaking up on people, sir?' she snapped.

`Ouch' said Jack, refusing to snap back at her.

Sam sighed and rubbed the back of her neck with one hand.

`Sorry, sir' she said contritely.

Jack sauntered around the lab, picking things up and appearing to observe them minutely.

`I hear that you turned down Maybourne's offer' he said as he tossed a small device from one hand to the other.

Sam looked at him, her eyes wide and unblinking.

`Yes' she said quietly but firmly, suspecting what her CO`s reaction was going to be.

Jack stopped, put down his toy and then walked up to her, stopping only when he was very close to her.

`You like to explain to me why, Major? From what I understand, it would be a good career move to accept' he said, his voice hard and low.

Sam pursed her lips and crossed her arms defensively in front of her. Her chin was tilted up defiantly.

`I have an existing position on an operational team. Is that not correct, Colonel?'

`As the CO of that team, you only have it if I want you there' spat Jack.

Sam's jaw dropped. She took a deep breath before speaking.

`With respect, sir. General Hammond has confirmed my position as your 2IC on SG1' she snarled.

Jack spun round and headed for the door.

`We'll see about that' he flung over one shoulder as he left, slamming the door hard behind him.

Sam slumped onto her stool, a look of devastation crossing her face. She leant her arms across the desktop in front of her and rested her face onto it's cool surface until a friendly voice roused her again.

`Sam, are you ok?' said Daniel Jackson, his hand resting on Sam's shoulder.

`Sure, Daniel. Just a little tired' said Sam looking up at him with a smile.

Daniel dragged a stool over and sat down next to Sam.

`Hey! Have you heard the news?' he said, grinning excitedly.

`News?' asked Sam.

`Remember Laira? That planet that Jack was stuck on a while back. Well it seems that they've got some kind of medical problem and General Hammond has offered to help. If you remember, it's only a small colony, and they can't afford to lose any more people. Anyway, Janet says that whatever they've got isn't a problem for us, so Laira is bringing some of her people through the gate for treatment with antibiotics.'

As Sam listened to Daniel's rapid speech, her head began to ache again, so she let it fall back onto the desk top. She didn't hear Daniel stop talking. She didn't feel him place a hand on her head, or see the concerned look on his face.

Jack O'Neill stood at the bottom of the metal slope as the stargate splash signalled that the portal was open. There was a moment's delay and then a familiar figure materialised through the shimmering pool. Her homespun clothes were simple but elegant and her mass of brown curls unmistakeable. She stopped for a moment and looked around. She saw Jack stood at the bottom of the slope and stretched out both arms towards him.

`Jack' she said simply, her face lighting up in a beautiful smile.

Jack O'Neill shyly walked up the slope and into her embrace, his arms encircling her in a matching hug.

`Laira' he murmured into her hair.

Sam watched from the control room. She was stood between Daniel Jackson and Dr Janet Fraiser. As she saw Jack and Laira embrace, Sam's world slowed until the hug seemed to last forever. She found herself minutely observing how one of his hands tangled in the petite woman's hair and how she stood on tip toe so that her face fitted into the crook of his neck. She couldn't hear the words but she could see Laira's mouth move as she spoke softly to Jack and she saw his move in response. She realised that she'd stopped breathing and forced herself to close her eyes and take a single deep breath. She turned to look at Janet as she felt her friend's hand squeeze her arm. Janet's eyes shone with sympathy, and Sam, unable to watch anymore, turned away from the window and headed for the briefing room. Daniel Jackson watched her go with a sorrowful expression on his face. He turned and glanced at Janet, whose face mirrored his own.

`This is difficult for Sam' she said simply.

`Yes. Yes it is' he replied quietly, turning to follow her from the room.

Sam's face was pale and she sat silently listening to Laira as she spoke about the disease that was afflicting her planet. Laira's voice was sweet and melodic and Sam noticed that although she addressed everyone, her eyes were fixed almost permanently on Jack as she spoke. When she'd finished, the General spoke kindly to her.

`Laira, it is our pleasure to give you as much help as we can. Dr Fraiser will be responsible for treating your people and I've made Colonel O'Neill your direct point of contact whilst you're here with us' he said.

Laira smiled at him.

`General, on behalf of my people, I wish to thank you all for the kindness that you've shown us once again' said Laira.

`You're welcome. Now, people I suggest that we don't waste any time. Colonel O'Neill will show you to VIP quarters and Doctor Fraiser will prepare the infirmary for the first arrivals.'

Laira bowed her head and then looked at Jack. He nodded at her and she walked towards him. He carefully took her elbow and steered her out of the room.

Sam's reverie was interrupted by Daniel who stood in front of her looking down at her.

`Coffee?' he suggested.

Sam smiled at him thankfully.

`Sounds great' she said.

Daniel's voice was low and as he spoke to her, he leaned across the table.

`Sam. I know that there's something wrong. Won't you let me help?' he said.

Sam gave him a tired smile.

`I was offered another job today,' she said slowly, 'A very good job'.

`And?'

`I turned it down'.

`Why?'

Sam shrugged.

`You know that my mom died when I was young?' she asked looking across the table at him.

Daniel nodded simply.

`Well, since I joined SG1, I feel as though I'm in a family again. I don't know why. I feel part of something and I don't want to lose that, but I don't know if I can go on this way' Sam's voice broke slightly as she finished speaking.

Daniel put his arm round her shoulder.

`Is it Jack?' he asked gently.

Sam looked at him with startled eyes.

`Colonel O'Neill is part of this team, like we all are' she said lamely.

`Sam. Listen to me. You and Jack are like two halves of a puzzle. You're different, but somewhere inside you're remarkably similar. You both have all that military crap. You think alike. I've seen you. You know what he's asking you to do without even talking. If you lose him, it'll be like losing half of yourself' said Daniel quietly.

Sam looked up as Jack and Laira walked into the infirmary.

`I've already lost him' she said, almost to herself.

In one quick movement, Sam stood up and headed for the exit. Daniel watched her go sadly.

`Budge up, Danny boy' said Jack cheerfully as he squeezed in beside the archaeologist.

Daniel moved over silently. Jack cast him a strained glance.

`Where's Laira?' asked Daniel pointedly when the seat opposite them remained empty.

`Doc Fraiser caught us in the queue and whisked her off for some prelim tests' said Jack.

Daniel noticed that Jack's eyes flitted around the commissary.

`Where's Carter? I thought she was with you when we came in' asked Jack nonchalantly.

`She left' said Daniel.

`In that case..' said Jack, shifting from the seat next to Daniel and sitting back down opposite him.

Daniel looked at Jack in annoyance.

`Do you know about this job that Sam's been offered?' Daniel asked sharply, feeling aggrieved for his friend.

Jack's fork stopped on it's route to his mouth and he placed it down on the edge of his plate.

`What do you know?' he asked coolly.

`She told me that she turned it down' said Daniel.

`Hmmph' muttered Jack.

`And she told me why' added Daniel.

Jack's eyes darkened as he looked at Daniel. His face was immobile and he waited for Daniel to continue.

`She told me that SG1 are like a family to her, but I don't agree! Families shouldn't hurt each other and I think Sam's hurting right now and I think that you should know it'.

`What are you hinting at, Daniel?' asked Jack, his voice almost chilly.

`I'm not hinting! I'm saying it out loud. Sam needs all of us, but most of all she needs you. Laira's arrival reminds her of a tough time. Life was hard for her when you were away for those three months. We should be supporting her. You should be supporting her!'

`Daniel. I suggest that you shut up now!' said Jack heavily.

`No! I won't. Seeing Laira has brought back a lot of bad memories for Sam' persisted Daniel.

`Laira is a fine woman and she needs our help' muttered Jack.

`Yes, she is, and so is Sam' said Daniel.

`Carter is my 2IC' said Jack.

`Being your 2IC doesn't stop her feeling how she does' persisted Daniel.

Jack looked at Daniel and for a moment, Daniel saw his eyes flash even darker than they normally were. Without speaking, Jack stood up and pushed his tray away. He opened his mouth as though to speak but then snapped it shut and walked away from the table without looking back.

Laira was sat perched on the edge of an infirmary bed whilst Doctor Janet Fraiser listened carefully to her heartbeat.

`Well it seems that you're showing no signs of coming down with this infection' she said.

Laira smiled at her.

`Thank you, doctor.' she said.

Jack sauntered into the infirmary and stood beside Janet Fraiser as she drew a small sample of blood from Laira's arm.

`How's the patient, doc?' he asked.

`Fit and well' said Janet, turning away with her small test-tube.

`That's good' said Jack as he held out his hand and helped Laira off the bed.

He turned her to face him and she looped her arm through his, hugging him close to her.

`Now we can catch up on news' he said.

Laira laughed.

`There is much to tell you. It's been a long time Jack' she said.

Jack looked shamefaced.

Laira laughed again.

`Don't worry. I forgive you, Jack' she said companionably, moving round to his side and changing arms.

`Now first piece of news is that my son is betrothed' she said gazing up at him.

Jack stopped looked at her in astonishment.

`Wow! This is news. Anyone I know?' he asked.

`Of course' laughed Laira, and they chatted animatedly as they walked down the corridor.

Sam heard Laira's laughter before she saw them coming. She was heading for the infirmary to get something for her headache, and before she could turn round and head back, Jack and Laira rounded the corner. As Sam turned away, she heard Laira's voice.

`Major Carter!'

Sam politely turned back.

Laira held out her small hand to Sam and she stared up into the taller woman's eyes.

`Major Carter. I have heard so much about you. When Jack was with us, he told us much about his team. It is a pleasure to finally meet you' she said.

`We have met before' said Sam.

`Ah, you mean when you came to take Jack away from me' said Laira smiling.

Sam gaped at her in astonishment. She noticed that Jack was just leaning casually against the corridor wall, his booted feet crossed, hands habitually thrust into his pockets. He stayed silent, his eyes indecipherable.

`Come. Let us be friends' said Laira, her curls bobbing as she tossed her head.

Sam nodded and held out her hand to the woman. Laira clasped her hand readily and smiled broadly, then turning back to Jack, she looped his arm with her own and pulled him away.

Sam shook her head as she watched them go.

`Damn you' she muttered `Damn you Jack O'Neill. For God's sake, nobody could help but like the woman.'

With that she strode purposefully back to her lab, picked up the phone and dialled a particular number.

`Could I speak to Colonel Maybourne' she said firmly when the call was eventually answered.

`Jack, sit down' said General Hammond, 'and shut the door please'.

Jack did as he was bid.

`I've had a call from Colonel Maybourne. It seems that Major Carter has reconsidered her decision and notified him that she will accept the position on offer' said Hammond.

The General watched as Jack's shoulders slumped. He waited but the Colonel fixed his eyes on the table top and said nothing.

`How do you feel about it, Jack?' he prompted.

Jack raised his eyes and stared blankly at the General.

`If it's advancement for Carter and she wants it then I don't want an unwilling 2IC on my team' he said coldly.

The General sighed.

`Look, son. If you ask her to stay on SG1 she will. Sam is a damned fine officer and I'll certainly be sorry to lose her' he said.

Jack's eyes flashed.

`That's the whole point isn't it, sir' he muttered.

`Sorry, Jack. I don't understand' said the General with a frown.

`The whole point is that Carter should do what is best for her and not what I ask her to do. She shouldn't be swayed by the sentiment of being in a team, she should do what's right for her career and herself' said Jack, his voice rising almost to a shout.

The General raised his hands and tried to speak calmly.

`Advancement is all well and good, but you know as well as I do that personal happiness counts for a lot more' said Hammond, `I`d hand back these stars in a flash if I had to choose between them and my family. You know that'.

Jack glared at him for a moment and then seemed to fold up as he slumped back onto his chair.

`Yes, sir. I do. But you're lucky. You already have all that. When you don't, things are not so clear cut' he said.

`I know, son. I just hope that Major Carter is doing the right thing for the right reason'.

`Yeah, so do I' muttered Jack.

Colonel Maybourne grinned broadly at his new recruit.

`Major Carter. What a pleasure to see you' he smirked.

Sam resisted the urge to shoot him, sitting down in the proffered chair instead and ignoring his smug smile.

`Tell me, Major. Why the change of heart? You seemed pretty determined when we met at the SGC?' he asked, still smiling.

Sam looked past him for a moment.

`I just had time to think about it' she said.

`I am glad that you did. The chances for advancement here are far greater than in an operational unit. I'm sure you'll agree that the working conditions are also a vast improvement' he said smugly.

Sam looked around his luxurious office. The wood panelling on the walls gleamed with polish and the carpet felt plush underfoot. She thought back to Colonel O'Neill's dingy, grey, concrete walled room at the SGC and felt that she had to agree with him. She nodded absently.

Maybourne clapped his hands.

`Excellent. Now allow me to show you to your lab. You'll find it stocked with all the latest equipment, Major. I'm sure that you'll be delighted, and of course there's the new team that you'll be working with. I'm sure you'll get on fine with them all. They've been hand picked as the finest in their respective fields'.

Sam followed him. She didn't see him as he looked curiously in her direction, a thoughtful expression on his face. They walked down the smart corridor until Maybourne stopped outside a security controlled door. He glanced at the small plaque on the door and then turned to watch Sam's reaction as she noticed it.

`Major Samantha Carter PhD, CO Blue Team'.

`Hmph' she said, `Blue team?'

`That's the project's designation. We used Blue to connect it to the SGC's Blue Box nom de plume' said Maybourne, smiling smugly.

`I see' said Sam, waiting pointedly for Maybourne to punch in the security code and open the door.

Even Sam had to be impressed as she walked around the superbly equipped laboratory. She ran her fingers over the latest flan panelled screen computer terminal.

`Links you directly into the base's Cray' said Maybourne, `You can also network through to the SGC's basic database via a WAN. Of course, access is limited for security reasons, and everything that you get will be heavily encrypted.'

Sam nodded.

`I understand' she said.

Maybourne continued the tour, pointing out the latest equipment to Sam.

`I hope the accommodations are satisfactory?' asked Maybourne at last when they'd finished.

`Excellent level of equipment' muttered Sam coolly, `When will I meet the rest of the team?'

`Tomorrow, Major, so I suggest that you find your way around for the rest of today and settle into your quarters. You have been allocated quarters?' said Maybourne.

Sam nodded.

`The first briefing will be 08:00 tomorrow morning in my office, so I'll see you then' said Maybourne, watching her from the corner of his eye.

Sam turned on her heel and headed off back to her quarters. Maybourne watched her with a curious expression on his face, but after a moment he shrugged and pulled down the peak of his cap. Straightening his jacket, he walked away.

Sam picked up her case and dropped it onto the bed. She unfastened the straps and buckles and let the lid fall open. With a sigh she quickly unpacked her clothes, distributing them amongst the various drawers that made up the room furniture. She carefully hung up her shirts and dress blues and finally she tipped out her toiletries bag and a small folder from the bottom of her case. After stowing her empty case away, she sat down on the hard bed and opened the folder. With a faint smile she took out a curving acrylic frame containing photographs of her dad, Cassie, her brother and his kids. She carefully placed it on the small cabinet on one side of her bed and looked at it for a minute. Reaching into the folder again, she pulled out an unframed photograph showing herself, Colonel O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel Jackson. This time she smiled broadly as she studied it closely. Daniel had taken the photograph on one of the nicer planets that they had visited. He'd put the camera on 'timer' and run round to join the other before it clicked. Just as he reached them, he slipped on some damp vegetation and fallen head first into the Colonel. The look of indignant surprise on the Colonel's face mad Sam laugh out loud. Teal'c seemed impervious to the Marx brothers act taking place next to him, and Sam's head was thrown back as she laughed. She remembered laughing so much that the Colonel had threatened her with a dunking in a nearby pool if she didn't shut up. Being completely unable to control herself, she'd caught the look in his eye and run for cover. With a shout, he'd chased after her and they'd dodged between shrubs and trees, until with a lunge, he'd grabbed her jacket and she'd sprawled right into a pile of fallen leaves, rolling as she landed. He'd overbalanced and fallen with arms flailing right on top of her, knocking the wind right out of her. That and a mouthful of leaves had resulted in her coughing and spluttering, gasping for breath. He'd turned her over quickly, a concerned look flickering across his face.

`Ok, Carter?' he asked quickly, his brown eyes catching hers, his arm reaching round her and patting her on her back.

After a few more coughs, she'd nodded breathlessly and grinned at him, enjoying the feel of his strong arm supporting her.

`Daniel! He was just so funny. When he fell into you, it ...was...just...so.....funny' she stuttered, still grinning.

Jack frowned in mock anger.

`I get no respect from my men' he snarled, the smallest of smiles curving the corners of his mouth. He jumped up and reaching down he offered Sam a hand. She took it and allowed herself to be pulled up, brushing herself down with her free hand. It was only when she'd finished that she realised that he'd not released her hand and that she was stood very close to him. Time seemed to slow as she caught the look in his eyes. For a second they'd stood completely unmoving, each feeding off the other's gaze. She'd flashed back in time to that incident when they'd been wearing those Tok'ra armbands and had ended up on either side of the Goa'uld force field. The feeling was different. She wasn't going to die this time, so he didn't have that look of total despair that had shocked her on that day. This time his look was naked and needy, but after the momentary flash, he'd closed it down and dropped her hand with a shrug, brushing down his own uniform to cover the confusion.

Sam placed the photograph carefully against the bedside lamp and leaning forward, resting her chin on her hands, elbows on knees she stared intently at it. With a quick swipe, she brushed away a tear from her eye and reaching out she gently touched the image of her ex commanding officer.

Laira tucked her hand around Jack O'Neill's arm as they stood at the bottom of the ramp.

`You know we'll never be able to thank you enough, Jack' she said with a fond smile.

`Hey, you know us. No problem!' he said with a shrug.

`I hope that you'll come and visit us,' she said 'and this time, don't leave it so long'.

Jack looked shamefaced and Laira laughed.

`Give my best wishes to your husband and tell him that I'll bring him something to drink when I come that won't leave him wishing he was dead the next morning' whispered Jack, close to her ear.

Laira giggled.

`He still tells the story of how you and he built one side of a barn one morning after drinking enough to kill an army of warriors' she said.

Jack grimaced.

`I can still feel that headache' he muttered with a mock frown.

`You must also meet my new daughter. She is the sweetest baby and I miss her so much. You will be her Uncle Jack, won't you?' said Laira.

`I'd love to' said Jack, smiling.

`Goodbye, Jack' said Laira, her eyes searching for his before she reached up and gave him a quick hug.

Jack watched her walk up the ramp and vanish into the liquid pool of the stargate. He felt rather than saw Daniel Jackson walk into the gate room and stand next to him. They both watched as the stargate shut off and the eerie silence descended on the gate room.

`Nice woman' said Daniel Jackson, almost to himself.

`Yeah, she is. They are a nice people' said Jack without looking at him.

`I bet it would be a nice place to retire to' said Daniel cautiously, watching Jack`s reaction.

Jack turned slowly and looked at him, eyebrows raised.

`Are you thinking of retiring there, Daniel?' said Jack caustically.

`Ah, no! Actually I was thinking of you, Jack'.

`I'm not thinking of retiring' snapped Jack.

`Sorry! I didn't mean anything by it! I just thought that you and Laira were, well....you know?'

`I think its time that you stopped thinking, when you don't know what you're thinking about' said Jack harshly, 'Laira is a married woman with a new family. I think that your thoughts are inappropriate as well as inaccurate'.

At that Jack turned round and left the gate room, leaving Daniel Jackson to gape after him.

Jack felt more than annoyed at Daniel as he walked quickly down the corridor, although he had to admit the relief that he'd felt when Laira had told him about her new husband and daughter. He'd felt uncomfortable when he'd heard about her proposed visit, mainly due to the guilt of not returning as he'd promised her. The SGC had maintained contact with Laira's planet in the form of the SG14 liaison team and he'd made sure that he read the regular briefings about their progress. He didn't like his own feelings of relief when he knew that Laira was not pregnant following his rescue. He hoped that he would have 'done the right thing' if she had found that she was. She had asked him for a child, and after three months of being constantly in her company, he had slept with her. The very next day he'd been rescued and his life had quickly returned back to it's former pattern. Now, however, the pattern had changed subtly again. His team was down to three, his 2IC was no longer working for him and he felt the loss. Over the years they had built up a rapport that meant that they barely had to speak out loud to work in perfect unison. Suddenly he stopped in his rapid walk down the long curving corridor and leant against the cold grey concrete wall, his eyes unfocussed. What he couldn't admit to himself, never mind to anyone else was the sense of personal loss that he was feeling with Sam's departure. He closed his eyes and he could see her beaming smile as she turned towards him following some stupid little pun. He wondered if she'd ever worked out that he told those jokes just to see her smile at him. He opened his eyes again and all he could see was the bleak greyness of the underground complex, but shaking himself, he continued his rapid walk and headed for the commissary.

Sam rubbed her eyes wearily.

`Major Carter, I think you should take a break' said Doctor James Greenvale looking kindly at her, `You've put in some crazy hours this last couple of weeks.'

`I'm ok' said Sam dully.

James Greenvale shook his head disapprovingly. He been seconded to this team from his role of experimental Astrophysicist at an ivy league university. Initially it had been against his will until he'd sat in that first briefing and listened to this young woman tell him things he thought only existed in science fiction novels. She wasn't much older than his daughter, but he'd found an immediate affinity with the way that she worked as well as the other members of the team. Her only fault was her complete and total single mindedness to the task in front of them. She seemed determined to work almost to dropping point. Greenvale had tried to talk to her about it a couple of times, but as soon he got anywhere close to personal issues, she clammed up. He suspected that she had some personal problems, but he also suspected that she was going to keep them firmly locked away. He'd decided some time ago that the best that he could do for her was to watch her in a practical way, remind her when to eat, sleep, take a break.

Sam sat back and looked at the computer screen in front of her.

`I think we're nearly there' she muttered almost to herself.

`We are! I think we should talk to Colonel Maybourne about the possibility of running some practical tests' said Greenvale.

`Yes, I agree! I'll go see him now' said Sam.

Greenvale grabbed hold of her arm gently, and Sam looked down at his hand.

`Major Carter! Tomorrow is fine. It's 22:00 hours, and I'm sure that Colonel Maybourne will have left hours ago.'

Sam just nodded and turning back to her computer terminal, she logged out of the system and switched it off. Greenvale took one look at the young woman's desolate face and immediately felt sorry for her.

`My wife, Jane said that she'd really like to meet you again. I know that you talked a little at the team building night. So why don't you come back with me tonight. I can guarantee a good meal and a comfortable room. She makes a really great chicken. What do you say?'

Sam looked at his kindly face and after a moment's hesitation she nodded. Greenvale picked up her briefcase and coat and let her towards the car park.

General George Hammond secretly studied the face of his 2IC as Colonel Jack O'Neill stood in front of him. His stance was stiff, his face constricted in a tight frown. Hammond sighed.

`Colonel, you have been through six possible replacements for Major Carter, and to be honest I am beginning to lose patience. These people are the finest that the United States forces can offer. Why is it that none of them are good enough for you?' said Hammond forcefully.

`God help us if these are the best' murmured Jack.

`Did you say something, Colonel?' snapped the General.

Jack looked at him innocently and Hammond waved toward a chair.

`Take a seat, Jack. I understand how you feel about replacing Major Carter, but from the feedback I've been getting from Colonel Maybourne, her team is making real breakthroughs.'

Jack listened intently.

`I knew that she would' he said.

`In fact they want to do a field test' said Hammond, `and they've asked for our assistance'.

`Oh?'

`It's thought advisable to test this thing off world, and I'm recommending that SG1 accompany the team' said Hammond.

`A team of scientists?' asked Jack.

Hammond nodded.

`Great!' groaned Jack.

`I'm sure that Major Carter will act as the main liaison point with the team. If you really don't want to do this, I will arrange for SG3 to take the job'.

`No problem, sir. I'm sure I can manage a few astrophysics egg heads in an alien environment that could result in the death of any or all of them in the blink of an eye' said Jack scornfully.

General Hammond ignored Jack's obvious distain.

`Good! The first briefing with the team is tomorrow at 11:00 hours. I suggest that you be there, Colonel' said Hammond, signalling to the Colonel that he could go.

Jack was the first person into the briefing room, and he strolled over to the coffee and poured himself one. When he turned around, Samantha Carter was stood in the doorway watching him.

`Carter' he said succinctly.

`Sir' she replied, a little shyly.

`The coffee's as bad as usual' said Jack with a grimace.

`Thanks for the warning' said Sam and she walked over and helped herself to a mineral water with a grin.

`How's it going with the egg heads?' asked Jack.

Sam smiled.

`It's going ok, thanks, sir' said Sam.

`I hear that I'm acting as chaperone for you all on P4C-447' said Jack, sipping his coffee.

`I don't think that I need a chaperone, Colonel' said Sam with a raised eyebrow.

`Sure you don't, but I suspect that the others do' smirked O'Neill.

General Hammond entered the room and walked immediately over to Sam with a wide smile on his face. Sam smiled back at him.

`General Hammond. It's good to see you, sir' said Sam brushing her hand against his arm.

Hammond patted her hand affectionately.

`Sam. I've been hearing good things of your work' he said.

`You have?' she said, looking surprised.

`Colonel Maybourne has been keeping me appraised of your progress. In fact it was he that suggested that SG1 accompany you on your testing' said Hammond watching for her reaction.

Sam looked him, a puzzled expression on her face.

`Why would he do that?' she said, almost to herself.

As she puzzled over Maybourne's action the rest of the team entered the room, followed by Colonel Maybourne himself. Sam headed immediately for him, but before she reached him, Hammond called the meeting to order and she took her seat next to Jack O'Neill without even thinking.

As Sam surveyed the land immediately surrounding the stargate, a feeling of melancholy descended over her. Daniel was walking close beside her.

`Just like old times' said Daniel.

`Hmm' muttered Sam.

She watched as Colonel O'Neill shepherded the other members of her team into a group. He was assigning tasks to each of them, the first being the setting of the camp.

`They seem a good gang' said Daniel looking at them.

`Yes, they are' said Sam.

`How are you doing with the family thing?' asked Daniel kindly.

`I miss you all' said Sam sadly.

`We miss you too' said Daniel.

Sam laughed ironically.

`I don't think that'll apply to the Colonel' she said.

Daniel stopped and looked at her in astonishment.

`Jack misses you more than he'd ever admit. He's been like a bear with a sore head these last few weeks. Do you know we've been through six possible replacements for you since you left, and the Colonel's given them hell' said Daniel.

`At least he should be happy' said Sam.

`Why?' puzzled Daniel.

`Laira, of course! She seems such a nice woman, and they looked happy together' said Sam.

Daniel stopped again, but this time he grabbed Sam by the arm and turned her round to face him.

`Sam, for such a smart person, you can be pretty dense sometimes' said Daniel, shaking his head, 'Listen to me'.

Sam gaped at him as she clutched at her P90.

`Firstly, you're here and we're here because Maybourne noticed that you were unhappy. He reckoned that you were missing us, so when the opportunity arose and you were ready to test off world, he insisted that the General make SG1 available. The guy's ok really. He thought that you would feel a little better if you spent some time with us. Secondly I think that you should go and talk to Jack. I know you two find that difficult, but honestly Sam, you should. Ask him about Laira.'

Sam shook her head violently.

Daniel grabbed her arm and shook it a little.

`Sam, this is important. Ask him about your replacement. Tell him how it's going with you. Just talk a little, break the ice. He needs it and so do you.'

Daniel gave her a little push in Jack's direction.

With a thoughtful expression, Sam turned and watched Jack. He was talking closely to Teal'c who was listening with his head on one side. She saw Jack give a scornful grin and then Teal'c nodded and ambled over towards the struggling scientists. Jack strolled over towards her and Daniel, his eyes hidden behind dark glasses, the peak of his cap pulled low.

`Teal'c'll baby sit your professors until they set up camp' he said to Sam, `I'll just patrol the area for a while'.

Without waiting for a reply, he turned abruptly away and strolled towards the tree line. Sam watched him go, until she felt Daniel shake her arm. She turned and looked at him and he nodded in Jack's direction. Sam looked at Jack's retreating back and then, after seeking a reassuring look from Daniel, she trotted after him.

`Sir!' she called.

Jack stopped but didn't turn round as Sam caught him up.

`Carter?' he queried.

`Mind if I accompany you on Patrol, sir?' she asked.

Jack pulled off his glasses and looked at her thoughtfully for a moment.

`Sure' he said, replacing the glasses and continuing his walk.

Sam followed behind him for a kilometre or so until the scrub on either side retreated sufficiently to allow them to walk side by side.

`Daniel tells me that you've been trying out replacements for me' she said nonchalantly.

`Yeah' he replied.

`Any success?' she asked.

`No' he said.

`Oh' she said.

They walked in silence for a while longer.

`How's the new team?' asked Jack casually.

`Great' said Sam.

`That's good' said Jack tightly.

`Actually, sir, they are a good bunch, but it's not the same, you know' she said.

`Same as what?' he asked.

`Same as SG1' she said sadly.

`You'll get use to it' said Jack succinctly.

Sam stopped walking and stared at him.

Jack tuned and looked at her curiously.

`Problem, Carter?' he asked.

`I can't believe that you just said that' said Sam, her arms crossed in front of her.

`What?' shrugged Jack.

`We worked together for more than six years, and all you can say is `you'll get used to it' ?' snapped Sam, her eyes flashing.

Jack looked a little shamefaced.

`Sorry, Carter. You know me! Open mouth, insert boot!' he said. Sam sighed and sat down heavily on a tree stump. Her eyes were bleary and she blinked to clear them, resting her head on her hand.

`Budge up' came a soft voice next to her.

Obediently she edged to the end of the large stump and Jack sat next to her. She could feel his body against her side as he wriggled to find a comfortable spot. She sighed disconsolately.

`So, Maybourne treating you ok?' he asked, rubbing at his P90 with a small smooth cloth.

`Yeah' said Sam with a sniff.

`The team?' asked Jack, still polishing assiduously.

`They are a good bunch, really they are, sir. It's just that....'

`Just what?'

`It's just that they don't really need me now. Any one of them is perfectly capable of bringing this experiment to completion. Oh, they needed me in the beginning because none of them knew anything about the stargate, but they soon caught on.' said Sam.

`What about the promotion?' asked Jack, stopping his polishing at last.

`It's not all it's made out to be' said Sam.

Jack looked at her curiously.

`That doesn't sound like the Carter that I knew! She was always ambitious' said Jack.

`Yeah, well maybe that Carter learned a few things about priorities' said Sam, `And what about you?'

Jack looked puzzled.

`Me?' he asked.

`Laira?' she asked.

`Laira?' he questioned.

`I thought that you and Laira.....' she said uncomfortably.

`You think too much. Laira has a husband and a new baby' said Jack, resuming his polishing.

Sam gaped at him.

`Oh, sir! I'm sorry'

`What for?'

`It must have been hard for you' said Sam, sympathetically.

`Laira was there when I needed her. At the time I was alone, a long way from home, and Laira was there. I'm glad for her, she deserves a good life' said Jack.

`Oh!' said Sam blushing.

They sat in silence for a while, each deep in thought.

`Would you consider coming back?' asked Jack suddenly.

A broad smile lit up Sam's face for the first time in months.

`Yes, sir' she said softly.

`Good! I'm think I'm getting too old to break in new people' said Jack.

`I need to speak to Colonel Maybourne' said Sam.

`I think that you'll find no problem there. Maybourne seems to have sussed things out. He arranged this little jaunt. He phoned Hammond. It seems that he's been worried about you. Thought that you weren't settling in' said Jack shrugging.

`He did?' said Sam astonished.

`Oh yeah' said Jack, peeling off his dark glasses at last and pushing his cap backwards. He leant back against the tree stump and looked at Sam.

Sam felt herself starting to blush as his glance burned into her.

`I missed you' said Sam, almost to herself.

`Carter?' queried Jack.

`I missed you all' correct Sam quickly.

`I missed you too' said Jack, his voice very low.

Sam looked down at her hands which were clutching at her P90.

`I took that picture with me' said Sam suddenly.

`Picture?'

`The one where Daniel tripped and knocked you over just as the camera clicked. That one when you chased me. Remember?'

`Oh yeah'

`That was fun' said Sam, grinning.

Jack grinned back.

`You wouldn't catch me again' said Sam, `You're just that little bit older every day, and I've been training'.

`Is that a bet?' asked Jack, unclipping his P90 and pulling off his cap. His jacket and glasses quickly followed.

Sam giggled and copied his lead, watching him continuously. When she saw his muscles tense she swerved sharply and started running through the trees. His hands clutched at nothing as he made a grab for her, but then he dodged after her immediately. Sam leapt over a fallen tree and sprinted for a dense bush. She heard a grunt behind her and then a crash so she stopped and turned in concern. Jack was sprawled across the tree stump groaning as he clutched at his leg. She jogged quickly back towards him and crouched down beside him.

`Sir! Are you injured?' she asked anxiously.

Before she could react, Jack grabbed at the material of her tee shirt and pulled her down beside him, rolling over and pinning her down with a cry of triumph. Sam gave a cry of surprise.

`That's not fair' she shouted.

`I could say 'All's fair in love and war' ' he said, 'but that might be a clich.'

Sam looked up at him, her eyes shining.

`Dj vu' she muttered.

`Dj vu' he responded, not moving.

`What now?' whispered Sam.

`Now we fight the Goa'uld, we keep the Earth safe and we do our duty' said Jack.

`Is that all?' she asked.

`What more is there?' said Jack.

`Nothing I guess' said Sam sadly turning her head to one side.

Jack gently turned her face back towards him.

`It's something we do best together Sam' said Jack softly.

She nodded dumbly, her face creasing slightly.

`The closer we are, the better we function as a team' he said cryptically.

`I don't understand' she said.

He brushed her hair from her forehead with one hand and she felt the breath catch in her throat. His eyes were unblinking as he looked at her and she felt pinned down by his gaze, unable to move. She felt his breath on her cheek and closed her eyes instinctively. Suddenly she felt his lips brush hers softly and she slid one arm up and looped it around his neck, her hand stroking his short hair. She held him against her, her lips glued to his, almost desperate for his touch. When she finally released him, he looked at her questioningly.

She drew a deep breath.

`We can't do this, can we sir?' she asked.

`Not at the moment' he said very softly.

`I know' she said.

`Do you mind?' he asked, his eyebrows raised questioningly.

`Yes' she said, but......'

`But?'

`But I would rather have what we have than anything else' she said.

`Trust me, Sam' he said slowly.

`Always' she said.

He looked at her and standing up he offered her his hand. She took it and he pulled her up.

`We make a great team' he said.

`Yes, we do' she said.

THE END

Feedback Please!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz