Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Paradox

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Paradox

Paradox

by pz

Summary: Sam & Jack get seperated from the others and have to find their way back.
Category: Action/Adventure, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/23/03

Paradox

General George Hammond watched as his flagship team waited for the stargate to open. Doctor Daniel Jackson and Teal'c stood to one side of the ramp. The large Jaffa stood silently still, his head slightly tilted as he listened to Daniel passionately explain something. Colonel Jack O'Neill checked his P90 and his 2IC, Major Samantha Carter stood ready beside him. As General Hammond observed them, Colonel O'Neill casually passed a comment over his shoulder to Major Carter. Her face lit up with a momentary smile as the event horizon solidified in the great circle of the stargate. With a sloppy wave of his hand, Colonel O'Neill gestured for Daniel Jackson and Teal'c to take point and he and Sam followed, side by side.

The first thing that caught my attention as we walked down the steps that led from the stargate was the heavy layer of dust that muffled every surface. As we walked down, our boots kicked up a stifling cloud of powder that swirled in the light from our torches. Colonel O'Neill coughed and swiped at the DHD with his hand, dislodging even more clouds of murk.

`Daniel, Teal'c' called Colonel O'Neill as he quickly turned to review the room. The beam from his torch swept across the unbroken stone walls that circled us. I shone my torch upwards to light the grotesquely carved ceiling, 20 feet or so above our heads.

I saw the Colonel frown as nobody replied, his stance shouting his concern. He spoke into his comms unit.

`Daniel, Teal'c. Come in!'

It was just about then that I noticed something very strange.

`Colonel!'

`What is it, Carter?'

`Look around sir. Daniel and Teal'c came through the gate before us, but the dust is undisturbed apart from our footsteps. There's also no sign of the MALP'

The Colonel systematically lit up the dust covered floor in a 360 degree sweep of his torch before shrugging and looking at me with an expectant expression.

`Suggestions, Carter?'

I looked round as though seeking inspiration, before finally mumbling the only answer that I could think of.

`Antarctica!'

I saw the Colonel wince.

`Oh, for cryin' out loud! Are you suggesting we're at the wrong gate? I thought that you'd put some doohickey on the computer to stop that happening again?'

`I did, sir. I just can't think of any other explanation right now'.

`It does look like the pictures that the MALP sent back, so it can't be the wrong gate'.

`Yes, sir'.

Fortunately the Colonel's attention was drawn at that moment to a large bundle which looked like it had tumbled from the gate and down the side of the stone steps. He strolled over to it and with the toe of his boot he rolled it over, and then with an exclamation he jumped down beside it and pulled off a large waterproof envelope attached to the side. Even though the light was dim, I could see his expressive face crease in puzzlement.

`Sir?'

`Well this is interesting!', he said slowly as he waved the envelope at me, one eyebrow raised.

COLONEL JACK O'NEILL / MAJOR SAMANTHA CARTER. was written across the front in writing that looked distinctly like Daniel`s.

By this time I had no idea what was going on, so I simply shrugged.

`I suggest you open it, sir'.

The Colonel brought the letter across to me and then tore it open, shining his light on the single sheet that was inside.

Jack,

I know this will seem pretty odd, but just read to the end and then let Sam read it.

By this time you're probably wondering what happened to Teal'c and me. Well, we haven't got there yet! We will..... but only a long time after you've left!! I realise this is confusing, but keep reading. Sam will understand.

The gate that you've arrived through appears to have an additional dimensional quality. When you look at the DHD you'll notice it looks different. Anyway, the end result is it allows travel through time as well as space. I know we've experienced this before (1969 etc) but that was due to solar flares. This one allows travels through time every time you use the gate, although the whether you go back or forwards in time seems to be random. The problem we have is how to make sure you get home without creating a paradox in time. (By the way you haven't arrived back yet!! Not as I'm writing this letter that is!)

When Teal'c and I arrived, we found evidence of your stay here. We got a note from Sam explaining what happened. I'm not exactly sure how long after you we were, but by the layers of dust on everything we estimate a number of years! We dialled home, using Sam's suggestions and managed to get back about five minutes after we'd left! It's now a week since that time and we've been sending packs of supplies through the stargate at regular intervals, hoping that one or more go back in time enough so that you can find them when you arrive.

I've probably already told you more than I should (time travel paradox etc.), so I'll sign off here.

Sam,

Be careful. Probably shouldn't have said that either!!

Take care,
Hope to see you soon,

Daniel.

`DANIEL!!' shouted the Colonel in frustration, `Couldn't he just tell us, simply, how to get outta here?'

`No, sir, with respect, he couldn't. Time travel paradox means that if he changes the past, he could change all the futures leading from that past. It could mean that the SGC was never formed, or even that we were never born'.

`He might wish that he was never born when I get my hands on him', muttered the Colonel, darkly.

`Sir, can I suggest that I investigate the DHD? By the hints left in Daniel's note I seem to have figured out enough to get them home in a reasonable time. It looks like I have to figure it out enough to leave a note for them when they arrive'

`Investigate away'.

I watched as the Colonel bent down over the pack and started unwrapping the waterproof covering, before I went for closer look at the DHD.

Daniel was right, it does look different. There is an extra ring of symbols surrounding the glyphs. A cursory examination made it obvious that they could be depressed, in what would be an additional dimension for the gate address. I still have no idea how it works. I was disturbed by a chuckle from the Colonel's direction.

`Looks like we may be here a while, Carter'

`Why's that, sir?' I asked.

`Daniel's sent enough supplies for a couple of months, plus these', he said waving two magazines.

I looked at `next weeks' copies of the Simpsons magazine and Sporting Weekly!

`I guess, Daniel's trying to keep me out of your way', he smirked.

I had to smile. Daniel knew that it wouldn't be a good thing if the Colonel got bored.

`Now, if you can just get us back before next week, I could put a few wagers on....' said the Colonel as he flicked over the Sporting Weekly's results pages.

`As Daniel said in his letter, sir. It is already a week later there and we haven't arrived back yet, so he knew that it would be safe to send the magazines'.

`It would be nice to find a doorway out of here,' said Colonel O'Neill squinting round the room, `I guess that would be my job'.

He stood, pulled his cap lower over his eyes and walked over to the nearest wall. I watched for a minute as he carefully swept his torch beam over the inscriptions that were carved into every inch of the rock. He slowly and systematically moved around the walls as I turned my attention back to the DHD in front of me.

What I hadn't told the Colonel was the disquiet that I'd felt as he'd read out Daniel's letter. There was no way of knowing how long we could be stuck here. As far as Daniel knew, it could be until we died of thirst or hunger. Because we weren't here when he and Teal'c came through actually doesn't mean very much. We could have be dead for a hundred years, or we could be in some other time or place. The responsibility of getting us back home weighed heavy on my mind. I knew that the Colonel would have a blind faith in me, I just wish I had the same confidence in myself.

I was peeling off the DHD housing when the Colonel gave a cry of success. Glancing in his direction, I saw a dark opening in the wall.

`Carter. It seems we have a way out of this closet. I'll do a quick reccy of the immediate area out there. The air smells fresh. Sweet!! Keep channel 12 open and report every 15 minutes'.

`Yes, sir'.

I watched as he dragged Daniel's pack towards the doorway and after a last look in my direction, he disappeared.

The crystal array in the DHD was distinctly different to those I'd seen before. It took me a while to recognise the similarities with a Goa'uld cargo ship hyper drive. The recognition set me thinking along a whole new direction. Perhaps the time dimension used a sub space channel in a similar way ships used when travelling at hyper speed. I made myself as comfortable as possible with all the dust, using my jacket as a shield while I lay prone on the floor, trying to identify the crystal matrix attached to the base of the DHD unit.

I left Carter fiddling about with the DHD. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself for finding a way outta that damned mausoleum and I'm itching to look around the area and set up camp.

It looks like the gate room is hidden inside some kinda cave, although it`s only a few yards to the cave entrance. God, I love that smell of damp leaves that just fills the air, even if it does mean trees!. I guess it's fall here, and late afternoon by the look of the light outside. Good time to set camp. I wonder how long it'll take Carter to get us back home. I wonder if she knows the absolute confidence I have in her. She's save my butt more times than I care to think about. Then, I guess I've saved hers a few times too.

What the hell was Daniel thinking when he sent that message. I know what Carter said about the Paradox thing, but still a few hints about potential enemy action, difficulties we might encounter, even what not to eat would have been nice. Can't see how that would affect things. Just wait till I see him next..... Wonder what he meant with his little message to Carter?

I can hear the sound of running water, so that seems a good place to start. Just down here over that rocky mound. Hey, look! A little waterfall. Sweet!! That flat grassy area behind the rocky mound looks a great place to set camp. It's protected by the rocks on one side, easy to defend, with only one easily traversable access point. Lots of dry wood and tinder too. Fresh water on the doorstep! Nice!! Time to call Carter.

`Carter. How ya' doin'?'

I listen as the comms unit crackles into life.

`This is going to take some time, Colonel. I would like to carry on.'

`Carry on, Major. I'll set camp. Make some supper. Keep in touch, Major.'

`Yes, sir. I copy'

`I suggest we call it a day by eighteen hundred'.

`But, sir.....'

`That's an order, Major'

There was a moment's hesitation before Carter answered.

`Yes, sir'.

It took longer than I thought to drag Daniel's pack out of the cave and down the slope to the grassy camp site. I slit the cords binding it tightly and it spilled open fully. He'd included plenty of rations, and some drinking water. I guess they never found the way out to the waterfall. Interestingly there was a full medical pack, complete with a manual and some handwritten additions by Doc Fraiser. She knows that Carter is fairly proficient in field medicine, so I wondered why they'd taken so much trouble. Even I can make basic repairs, including the odd stitch or two or setting a broken bone. He'd included additional ammo clips and other daily supplies including a couple of extra sleeping bags, towels and clothing and sweetest of all, a couple of tents.

`Nice one, Daniel', I muttered as I laid out the goodies and did a little stock take.

The sun's getting low, so I'd better make the fire and set up a tent. It won't take long. We can live off rations tonight. Tomorrow, I'll look around the area for some fresh food.

I quickly sorted and secured one of the tents, laying Carter's and my sleeping bags side by side. I was sure she wouldn't mind the slight change in the usual protocol of sleeping arrangements. When there's only two of you and you`re off world, you need to stay close.

Carter called in a couple of times, but I could tell by the way that her voice was distracted, that she was engrossed in figuring out the DHD.

At last everything was ready, just as the sun set completely. The fire was burning brightly and a can of water was steaming over on one side. I'd seen no indication of local life, only a couple of birds and some small, mousy animals. The water looks good for some kind of fish, but I'll investigate that tomorrow. Time to go get Carter.

My back is aching with too many hours of trying to understand this damned DHD. I feel like I have about a hundred years of dirt and grime on me with all this dust. The effort of looking closely using a fading torch as the main light source is making my eyes smart and water. God, I have to understand how this works. The Colonel is relying on me to come up with the answers and I can't let him down.

What's that sound?!!

It's the Colonel. Surely it's not time to finish yet?

`Carter?'

`Yes, sir'.

`I said eighteen hundred hours'.

`Sorry, sir'.

I feel his hands on my arms as he pulls me out from under the DHD and yanks me to my feet. I feel dizzy for a minute as the blood floods back from my head, but his firm grasp keeps me from stumbling.

`Carter?'

`Sorry, sir. Just got up too quickly', I mumble.

Without letting go of my arm, he pulls me towards the doorway and out of the room. I take a great lungful of the clean fresh air and notice that it's as dark out here as it is in the room. Without saying anything, the Colonel guides me towards the sound of rushing water, where I see the welcoming sight of the camp. The fire casts a red glow over the tent, set to one side, beneath the protection of a rocky outcrop. I sigh with satisfaction at the site of the bubbling hot water.

`You want to wash up?' he asks.

`Please, sir'.

He takes the water can and pours the hot water into a smooth bowl shaped indentation in the rock. Rooting in Daniel's pack, he tosses me a towel and some shampoo and soap.

`I'll get some more water. We have plenty on hand', he says kindly as he grabs the can and heads out of sight. I realise that he is leaving me some privacy to wash up, and I notice a clean shirt laid out next to my impromptu basin.

Stripping off quickly, I wash and scrub the grime from out of my hair and don the clean fresh shirt. Using the remains of the water and a little soap, I quickly rinse though my discarded clothing and hang it across the tent guy ropes. I hear the Colonel cough politely to indicate his return.

`Finished, sir,' I call out and he reappears round the rocks with the water.

With a grin he places the water on the fire and tosses me a ration bar.

`Daniel didn't forget much', he commented as he munched, `Although they seem to have gone a little extreme with the medical supplies'.

`Sir?' I queried, and he nodded towards the pile of equipment resting inside the flap of the tent.

Intrigued, I went over and inspected the goods, smiling at the large tube of moisturising cream that Daniel had included. He was the only man I ever knew who would think of things like that. The Colonel was right. The medical kit was formidable.

`Perhaps they know something we don't, sir'

`I hope not! I hope he's just being a little cautious', drawled the Colonel.

I joined him back by the fire, but it wasn't long before my eyes started closing. The Colonel pressed a hot drink into my hands and I gulped it down gratefully.

`I'll take watch,' he said as he pushed me towards the tent. I nodded gratefully and stumbled into my sleeping bag.

Why does she push herself so hard? Doesn't she know that she's the smartest person there is. Sometimes I wish she'd take life a little more relaxed. She looked all in tonight. I'll let her sleep. I can grab some time tomorrow.

The night passed uneventfully. I sat next to the fire and watched the patterns in the flames, then the sunrise. When Carter emerged from the tent, she looked annoyed.

`Sir! You didn't wake me for my watch', she bristled.

`Chill, Carter. You needed the sleep'.

I watched as her anger dissipated.

`Thank you, sir. I'll get back to work straight away'.

`After breakfast,' I added, tossing her a ration bar.

I watched her sigh before sitting down and munching her rations in silence. I can see the emotions passing over her face, and I know exactly what she's thinking. I've seen it before. She can't bear the thought that she isn't pulling her weight. She hates the idea that I've given her special consideration. A few years ago she would have said as much but now she's realised that we all pull together as a team and that we make no allowances for sex.

She's finished breakfast and she stands up fluidly. I toss her a new set of batteries for her torch and then watch as she heads back to the cave and the gate room. I tidy the camp and settle down to get some shut eye before searching out fresh food.

My head was throbbing slightly as I switched on the torch and re-entered the gate room. The dust lay undisturbed other than where the Colonel and I came through the gate yesterday, and the area around the DHD. I spread out my jacket out on the floor next to the DHD and resumed my position beneath the crystal panel. I did sigh before unscrewing the access panel and continuing to trace the circuitry. It didn't take long however for me to become engrossed in the job and the room seemed to fade around me.

The crackle of the comms unit interrupted me, and with slight annoyance I pressed the receive button.

`Carter?'

`Yes, sir'.

`How's it going, Carter?'

`Slowly, sir'.

`I'm going for fresh food. Keep in touch on Channel 12'

`Yes, sir'.

The morning passed quickly. I was feeling better because I was beginning to understand some of the mechanisms in the DHD. The patterns were starting to come together in my mind. The technology wasn't Goa'uld, but then again what was? They stole everything they ever knew. I don't know where this particular piece of inspiration came from, but whoever the designer was, she was pretty smart. A lot smarter than us. I was mesmerised by the lights passing through the perfect array of crystals. So mesmerised, I made a nearly fatal mistake. I reached out and touched the longest of the crystals. The force was imperceptible at first, but by the time I could feel the tingle that ran from my finger tips to my shoulder, I couldn't let go. I started to panic, and I quickly pressed my radio button with my other hand.

`Colonel!'

`Carter, what's the problem?'

`I need help, sir. Now!'

`Coming, Carter'.

The crispness of his voice indicated his concern and I knew he would come as quickly as he could.

My head was starting to swim with the waves of pain riding up my arm. The intensity was increasing exponentially until at last I heard the Colonel's footsteps as he ran into the room.

`Colonel', I managed to scream.

Through the haze of pain, I felt his strong arms wrapped round my shoulders as he pulled me away from the DHD. As the contact was broken between the crystals and my hand, an ark of light shot between them and I lost consciousness.

I wavered between being awake and a profound blackness, until the light stayed longer and I could distinguish the sounds of rushing water.

My stomach churned as I carried Carter in my arms out of that dank place. I laid her carefully on her sleeping bag and placed my hand on her neck. Her pulse flickered beneath my fingers. It felt fast and faint. She had taken off her jacket and shirt back in the room, so I could see the black wheals that ran up her arm from finger tips to the top of her arm. Remembering Daniel's parcel I went for the medical kit, wondering if he knew. I pulled out the manual and looked up electrical burns. Doc Fraiser had added a lot of notes to the chapter, so I guess they did know.

First thing I had to do was undress her.

`Sorry, Carter' I murmured as I cut off her Tee as carefully as possible. I didn't need to remove the tank top that she wore beneath, but hell, it didn't cover much and I kept my eyes focussed on her arm as much as I could. I bathed the burns and applied the special dressing just like the doc instructed. Finally I gave her an antibiotic shot and tucked her up into her sleeping bag to get some rest. It says in the notes that rest is the best healer.

All I can feel is pain. A throbbing pain running from my fingertips along the length of my arm and up my neck into my head. I don't know why I feel pain. I don't remember anything.

My head works only in flashes. Flashes of images that don't mean very much to me. A pool of water, beautiful dark brown eyes, kind hands and finally a deep sleep that muffled my thoughts with a comforting warmth.

It was dark when I woke. The smell of wood smoke permeating the tent. I tried to sit up but succeeded only in letting out a groan with the effort. The tent flap immediately opened and a strangely familiar face appeared.

`Carter! Whatchya doin'?' he said.

`School!' I muttered.

He looked puzzled and tilted his head questioningly.

`Late for school' I said stubbornly.

`Doesn't he know I have a test today? Wonder where dad is? Funny! I can't remember. I usually have his duty roster pinned to my room wall, but this doesn't look like my room'.

`Where am I' I asked the guy. Strange! Somehow I feel I can trust him even though I don't even know him.

`Carter! You're freakin' me out!' said the guy, his face screwing up in a frown.

`Where's dad, and Mark? And why are you calling me Carter?'

The guy holds up his hands expressively.

`Carter! If this is some kinda joke, stop now' he says firmly. I recognise authority in his voice. I should, I am a Military brat after all, but I don't know what he wants from me. I struggle to get up but fail miserably, falling back right into the guy's arms. He moves pretty quick for an old guy!

I'm confused now. This guy must be not much younger than dad, but he's kinda cute. Not like the boys at school, but in a manly sort of way. I'm enjoying the feeling of his arms around me as he lowers me back down gently. I still don't understand why I'm in a tent though. What happened to my bedroom? Oh, and did I mention he has the most gorgeous chocolate coloured eyes. Wow!

`Get some sleep' he orders and I'm not inclined to disobey.

I watched her close those baby blues. Even though it looks like she can't remember me she seems to trust me. Good! It'll make things easier if she doesn't regain her memory.

If she doesn't remember who and when she is, I can't see how we'll fix that DHD and get home, but then Daniel wouldn`t have got that note when he comes though. Would he? Where's that medical manual. What's the doc put in there about amnesia? Here it is. Good! There's quite a bit. Time to do some serious reading Jack.

It seems that the best way to regain memory is to take the patient back to places they've been before! Well that's out of the window, so what else? Talk about important events in the patient's life. Try to stimulate memory. Okay! I can do that. When she wakes up we have to have a little talk.

I feel better. Weak, but better. Guess I must have been ill. My arm hurts though. Come on Sammie, get up!

I grab the side of the tent until the dizziness wears off then make a beeline for the flap. I decide that crawling is the safest option. It's light outside and I can hear the splashing of water.

God, the air smells good. I crawl out and flop down onto the warm grass, letting the sunlight warm my head. I notice that I'm only wearing a short tank top and the grass tickles my belly. Mmm, kinda nice! I could just fall right back to sleep, lying here.

A pair of strong arms wrap around my stomach and pull me up. I like the feel of it.

`Carter?'

It's the same guy I think I was dreaming about, and I let him drag me to a sitting position, my back leaning heavily against his chest, his arm still securely around my middle. His breath tickles my cheek as he speaks again.

`Carter? Whatchya doin?'

Somehow his words are comfortingly familiar and I just continue to lean silently against him. I can feel him becoming agitated.

`Talk to me Carter' he mutters.

`Sure Mister' I say, making an effort to flash him one of my cute grins.

I feel him sigh and I decide I'd better respond accordingly.

`Who are you? Are you a friend of my dad's' I asked, craning my face towards him.

`You always get this close to guys you don't know?' he asks with arched eyebrows. I decide that I like the way he speaks. He has a really sexy drawl.

I look down at his tanned forearm in contact with my bare stomach and turn back to gaze into his eyes. We really are very close. In fact we couldn't be much closer, but it feels okay. That's a lie, it feels good! Wait till I tell the girls at school!

`No' I say hesitatingly.

He nodded simply.

`You remember who I am, then?' he asks.

My mind feels like it's soaked in dark treacle and although I keep getting minute flashes, I can't make sense of the images.

`No' I eventually admit in a tiny voice, feeling just a little bit afraid for the first time.

I feel him sigh and then he releases his hold on me and turns me round to face him. His face is serious.

`Do you remember who you are?' he asks.

I think for a moment.

`Sammie Carter' I say simply.

`Good' he says, `and how old are you?'

`Fourteen' I say, puzzled.

He scrubs his head with one hand, a worried frown creasing his face.

`Not so good!' he mutters.

`Why?' I ask, getting a little fed up with this whole thing.

I watch as he purses his lips, his expressions strangely familiar to me.

`I am Colonel Jack O'Neill' he says at last, `Does that mean anything to you?'

`No,' I say, `Are you a friend of my dad?'

He laughs.

`Kind of' he says.

God, she looks cute! You dirty old man. She thinks that she's fourteen and somehow she has that young, trusting look on her face. She thinks that you're a friend of her dad, for cryin' out loud. Well, you are. Yeah, but not in the way that she thinks, with her fourteen year old head on! Anyway, she isn't fourteen, she's thirty something and I have got to give that missing time back to her or we'll be stuck here for ever!

Hey! Doesn't sound so bad! Nice planet, no nasty natives, fresh water, plenty of fresh food, no rules, no regs and Carter! A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD CARTER! You scumbag! Now a thirty five year old Carter, that would be different, but then we wouldn't be here, she'd get us home! My head hurts!!!

Her eyes are drooping. That arm's pretty badly burned. I'm glad to see that the young Carter moans as little as the older one. She should get some fluids in her and I'll take a look at the injuries. Remember Jack that you're dealing with a delicate fourteen year old psyche here.

`Drink this,' I say gruffly to her, handing her a canteen, and she obeys instantly; there are some advantages to being the older `father figure'.

`I need to check your arm' I say.

`What happened to my arm?' she asks, a cute little crease forming between her eyes.

Think quick, Jack!

`A pan fire' I say and she frowns again.

`I don't remember' she says.

`It doesn't matter. Here, let me take off those dressings' I say.

She shuffles over towards me and sits cross legged in front of me, holding out her arm trustingly. As I carefully peel of the bandages I catch her watching me through her eyelashes. Her head is lowered coyly. I take a deep breath and try to ignore her proximity. Finally I finish, and look up to meet her eyes. I see a momentary flash of something pass her face and her look subtly changes and then changes back quickly and she becomes fourteen again. I decide to leave her to do whatever makes her comfortable. She edges away, her eyes still fixed on me. I can see her struggle with herself before she shrugs and turns away, curling up in a ball on the warm grass. I cover her with a thin blanket and leave her to sleep, ignoring the worried feeling that`s growing inside of me.

When I woke, it was still day. The sun was low over the treetops and I could smell wood smoke. I opened my eyes slowly and saw Colonel O'Neill crouched next to the fire, feeding it with small twigs. I watched him a moment through half closed eyes. His movements were economical and precise. I remembered everything, images flashing through my mind. He noticed my involuntary movements.

`Carter?' he said softly.

I decided to have some fun.

`Dad?' I muttered sleepily.

He sighed.

`Sammie, it's Colonel O'Neill. Remember! Your dad's friend' he said kindly.

I stifled a giggle with a cough and sat up.

`I have homework to do' I said, trying to keep that look of innocence on my face.

He looked suspiciously at me and I couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud.

`Carter?' he said, his voice raised.

`Sir!' I giggled.

He lunged at me and caught me by the good arm.

`Sammie!' I stuttered between guffaws.

`Carter, you have no respect for your senior officers' he growled.

`Sorry, sir' I said shamefaced.

His eyes twinkled warmly.

`Glad to have you back' he said.

`Good to be back' I said, leaning against him, enjoying his warmth through his shirt.

He kept perfectly still as I relaxed and started to doze again as the sun finally set. Eventually I shivered as the cool evening air surrounded us and he carefully edged away from me and taking hold of my shoulders firmly but carefully, he manoeuvred me until almost without knowing how, I was back in the tent tucked up in my sleeping bag.

I've decided to let her sleep as long as she needs. I'll take another look at the DHD and make sure that everything's still the same. I'm sure glad that Carter's back even though her younger twin was real cute. She needs to recover though and I'll have to watch her. She's sure to try doing too much before she's ready. Anyhow, like I said before, a few weeks here alone with Carter's quite a nice idea, especially now that she`s the adult version.

It didn't take long to check things over. They appeared to be exactly as we left them. Carter's charred shirt reminded me that she probably needs a replacement. I think Daniel sent some stuff in his package. Not that Carter in that sweet little tank top isn't a pleasant sight.

She's not going to be able to do anything with that arm for a while, so I guess that I'm gonna have to help. How hard can it be? Playing with a few crystals.

`Sir, are you sure?' I asked, astonished by Jack's insistence that he can help with the DHD.

I may have no option but to accept his offer. This damned arm is useless and it's going to stay that way for a while I guess. The question is how long will he last before he's bored? I guess that we'll soon find out.

`You need to let that arm rest,' he said firmly, 'and how hard can it be? Messing about with a few crystals?'

`Yes, sir' I sighed apprehensively as he stripped off his shirt and shimmied under the DHD housing.

`You need to locate the master crystal' I said, concentrating on the job in hand and ignoring the very pleasant sight of my CO's tanned, lean stomach as his tee shirt rode up.

`And that would be?' came his voice.

`The red one, sir'.

`Got it!'

`Good, now you need to follow the copper coloured patterns engraved on the surface of the crystal. If you follow them one at a time and tell me which crystals they touch in which sequence, I'll try and draw out the circuit diagram on the paper I have here.'

`Piece of cake' came the cheery answer, 'I'll take the side nearest the gate as side one and then rotate clockwise around the faces of the crystal.'

`That sounds good, sir' I said, surprised at his logical approach.

`Ok, here goes. Side one contacts in the following sequence. Large green, small blue, small white, large yellow, large white, small orange.'

I wrote as quickly as I could, sketching a schematic as he read out the sequences. The time passed quickly until finally he shimmied out from his prone position, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

`Time for a break, Carter' he muttered.

`Yes, sir' I said lamely, still trying to ignore the vision of his chest as his tee had ridden right up as he struggled out from under the DHD. He quickly pulled it down and tucked it in his pants.

`We get on alright there, Carter?' he asked nonchalantly.

`Better than alright, sir' I admitted and he grinned.

`You sound surprised!' he said.

`No, sir! Of course not, it just that....'

`It's just that what?'

`It's not usually your forte' I said diplomatically.

`Because I'm multi-talented it doesn't mean that I use all my talents all the time' he said huffily.

`No, sir' I smiled.

`Lunch I think' he said, changing the direction of the conversation.

I think she was genuinely surprised that I could do this. Ha! Sometimes these scientists think that they have a monopoly on being able to apply a little concentration, well I showed her! That schematic she's drawn looks almost interesting. I'll get her to explain it to me after we've eaten. Food! I'll return the favour later this afternoon and I'll teach her to fish at last. We could really do with some fresh food.

`Does it mean anything' I asked after looking at the complex web of lines that she's drawn.

Her forehead creased into that cute frown she has when she's concentrating.

`Not sure, sir' she said gazing intensely at the diagram. As I watch her, she absently rubs her eyes with her good hand and I realise that she's feeling tired.

`Need to check that dressing, Carter' I say gruffly and she edges over towards me.

I notice that she's gone a little pale, with two little red spots highlighting each cheek. She sits quietly as I peel off the dressing although I know that it must hurt like hell. The only indication is a slight narrowing of her eyes. I'm not happy with how it looks. The wheals look red and angry and I bite my lip in concern.

`Just getting the medic manual' I mutter as I leave her.

The more I read, the more worried I get. Janet's talking about the dangers of blood poisoning and Carter's showing all the symptoms, despite the antibiotics shot I gave her yesterday. The doc says to take her temperature, so I grab the thermometer and head back towards her. When I get back to where we were sitting, there's no sign of Carter. I feel a panicky flutter in my gut as I shout her name. There's no response and I grab the comms unit.

`Carter, come in' I shout.

I wait for a minute but there's no reply.

I summon my most commanding voice, `Carter. Respond, now'.

Still nothing!

Then I hear a splash and dropping the radio I sprint as fast as I can to the rocky outcrop jutting out over the river. It took only a moment's quick scan to absorb the whole scene. There was a towel, discarded by a rock as well as Carter's boots, neatly lined up on one side. The river's running pretty fast and I just catch sight of a dark shape being tossed along in the current.

`Carter!' I shout, as loud as I can, but the shape just bobs about at the mercy of the currents.

I sprint down river aways, pulling off my heavy shirt and boots as I run. I know that there's a bend in the river where the current kind of slows as it's compressed between two towering rock faces. As I get there, I see the dark shape that must be Carter pushed close to my side of the river. I've always been a good swimmer, all those summers at my grandpa`s cabin to thank for that, so without hesitating I execute a neat dive into a deep spot and surface within arms reach of her. She's face down in the water, and I quickly grab her and turn her over. Pulling strongly against the current I finally make it to the rocky side and panting heavily I heave her out and onto the rocks. Ignoring the pain in my ribs from the exertion, I turn her on one side and push hard on her chest to try and expel some of the water that I guess she's breathed in. Water trickles from the corner of her mouth until with a jerky cough she splutters, her body convulsing as she gasps for air. Without stopping to think, I pull her up and hug her for dear life. I feel like someone just handed me a lifeline. God knows what I'd do without her. She's the best damned 2IC I've ever had and I like to think that we're friends too. Beyond that I can't allow myself to think although I've always enjoyed that frisson of tension between us. I can feel her struggle feebly against my chest, my face buried in her wet hair.

`Sir! I need space' she stutters, pushing against me with her good hand.

I pull away from her quickly and study her face.

`What happened' I ask.

`I don't know,' she says, 'I felt a bit hot and I thought a wash down with the cold water might make me feel better.'

She coughed and spluttered a while.

`When I bent over the water, I felt dizzy and faint and I guess I must have fallen in'.

I shook her gently by the arms.

`Don't do that to me again' I shout, feeling almost angry at her.

`Sir!' she pleads.

`You felt dizzy because you have a little blood poisoning from your burns' I say.

`Oh!' she says submissively.

`Don't go anywhere or do anything without telling me first' I demand.

`Sorry, sir'.

I immediately melt as I look at her contrite face.

`Come on, let's get you back to camp and into some dry, warm clothes' I say.

The Colonel insisted on carrying me back and although I don't like being dependent on anyone, I did feel really done in. My lungs are burning with all that water I breathed in and I was glad to lay passively in his arms, feeling the warmth of his chest against my face. Thankfully I had enough energy to dress myself when I got back to camp. He made me take some additional antibiotics before he even got into dry clothes himself. I wonder if he'll ever know how grateful I am.

I slept for a while and woke up as it was starting to get dark. The Colonel was knelt next to me, shining a flashlight on my arm. He was clutching a thermometer in one hand looking uncertain.

`Sir?' I said softly.

`Open your mouth' he said, relieved.

I did as I was told and he placed the thermometer under my tongue. After a couple of minutes he tugged at it and I let him take it. He stared at it for a moment, frowning. He turned and rooted in the medic pack and brought out a couple of pills and the canteen of water.

`Take these' he grunts and I obey.

`Your temperature is up' he mutters and I just nod.

I can only just see the outline of his face in the dim light.

`Sorry, sir' I mutter.

`Don't scare me again, Carter' he says softly in the dark.

`No, sir' I say, touched by his gentle tone.

He clears his throat before speaking.

`After all, you are our best chance of getting home in one piece' he says gruffly.

I reach out in the dark until I feel the roughness of his sleeve. I take hold of the material, enjoying the feel of his warmth. Pulling gently, I drag his arm closer to me and curl up round it's comforting strength. Almost as though the dark gives us release, he shimmies over closer to me and I feel his arm slide round my shoulders, pulling me up into a semi seated position, my weight leaning against him. I sigh contentedly and let my eyes close.

God, it feels so good to hold Carter like this. She needs me and I need to feel that she's ok. When she reached out for my sleeve, I nearly pulled away, but somehow being here, in the dark makes it all right. How can anything that feels this good be wrong anyway?

She's fast asleep, I can tell by her breathing. I'm glad. She needs to sleep. She needs to let her body mend that arm.

I wonder if she'd ever know if I planted a little kiss right there on her forehead. I guess she never would.

There! That's my little secret!!

The following days merged into a kind of blur of routine. I had to stop Carter from pushing herself too hard, and I kept a close eye on her, not letting her out of my sight except when modesty demanded it! We'd spend the morning on the DHD, me telling her what was what as she drew lots of little diagrams. The afternoons we'd spend fishing on my insistence. Not only did it provide fresh food, but it stopped Carter burying herself in her work too much. As I made the evening meal, she'd play around with her diagrams arranging and rearranging them into a kind of giant jigsaw. Every now and then, she'd give a little cry of triumph and tape two diagrams together.

We never spoke about the nights, although those had settled into a routine as well. It was almost like a secret that we shared but never discussed. She still got tired early and I'd let her go to bed, giving her time to get undressed and warmly tucked in. The nights were cool but not cold and a sleeping bag was cosy and comfortable. I'd put out the fire and take a last walk around the perimeter of our little homestead before silently entering the tent. Her boots were always neatly lined up at the bottom of tent with her clothes folded tidily next to them. I'd learned to copy her and I placed my boots at the other side with my pants and shirt next to them. Careful not to disturb her I edged my way into the joined bags and she immediately turned and curled up, facing me. Ever since that night after she'd nearly drowned, she'd slept wrapped around my arm. The odd occasion when she'd been so tired that she'd fallen asleep without my arm as her comfort blanket, she'd woken up in the night screaming. She told me that she'd dreamt that she was drowning, that she was being pulled under the cold water by an irresistible current. I liked the feeling of her wrapped around me, her leg sometimes flung casually across my thighs. She pulled my arm against her like a lifeline and I could occasionally feel the soft curves of her body rubbing against my muscles. Sometimes she let out a little groan in her sleep and could only guess what she was dreaming about. Very occasionally I got chance to repeat my first little indiscretion and I'd plant a very soft kiss on her forehead or brush back her hair, letting my fingertips linger as they touched her smooth skin. In the mornings, she always woke first and she'd always dressed and gone before I surfaced. As we sat round the fire and drank our morning coffee, we never mentioned the night, although I sometimes remember catching a couple of soft little smiles when she thought I wasn't looking at her. Once when I was shaving I realised that I could see her in my mirror, and I took the opportunity to watch her without her knowing. I could see her eyes burrowing into my back as she watched me methodically scrape the foam from my chin. I almost cut myself as she ran the tip of her tongue over her lips, her eyes looking hooded and half closed. Even through the mirror I could see that her chest was rising and falling rapidly causing her to pant slightly.

As the days past, I could tell that she thought we were getting closer to an answer, although for some reason I found that slightly depressing.

It was a particularly beautiful fall day when all the pieces suddenly clicked into place. I stared at my diagrams and suddenly the shapes assumed a beauty and symmetry that meant that I understood them. I realised that I knew how the DHD worked; how the extra dimension worked. I also realised that although I could dial us back, we could never dictate what time factor applied when we dialled in. I sat down with a piece of paper and wrote the note to Daniel that I knew I must to avoid a paradox in time.

Somehow I should be feeling ecstatic. My calculations showed that we would arrive home about three weeks after we left, but I felt a little empty.

My accidents had left me in a position that I had never enjoyed in the past, i.e. dependent on someone else, but for some strange reason returning to my previous life had lost some of it's attractions. The Colonel and I worked well as a team and there's no question that I wouldn't have been able to do this without him. I wondered how he felt about all the things we'd never said. Although not technically against the regs, our nights would be construed by some as pretty damn close to the line. I wondered how much I cared about what people said. I'd needed him and he'd responded. Surely any good CO would do that for a member of his team, wouldn't they? I knew I was kidding myself. I loved the nights. I loved the feeling of his strong arms against me. I loved the dreams that the feel of him there gave me. Knowing that all that would end and that I'd be sleeping alone depressed me more than I can say, but there's no way that it could continue.

Daniel was first up the ramp as we strode though the gate. He wrapped his arms round me carefully.

`Sam, how's the arm?' he asked.

`Fine, Daniel' I smiled, swiping at my longer hair until it tucked behind my ear.

`O'Neill, Major Carter, it is good to see you back again. We were not sure when you would return' said Teal'c's deep voice behind me.

`T', buddy. You should know by now that Carter would work it out' said Jack cheerily.

Sam wondered how he could sound so happy.

`How long has it been for you?' quizzed Daniel.

`Eight weeks' she heard Jack say, 'and Danny boy, thanks for the magazines. Kept me outta Carter's hair'.

`Actually, Colonel O'Neill was responsible for most of the work in deciphering the DHD' she said archly.

Janet Fraiser's familiar figure walked up the ramp, smiling.

`Sam. I think I should take a look at that arm now' she said to me and I acquiesced quietly.

As we left the gate room, I heard Colonel O'Neill's voice.

`Guys, I need to talk with you both, and there's no time like the present' he said.

`Probably wants to catch up on the hockey scores' muttered Sam darkly as she followed Janet down the corridor towards the infirmary.

`You must be glad to be back' said Janet over her shoulder.

`Yes' said Sam, feeling unaccountably depressed.

The planet was nice as planets go. Soft rolling grassy hills, only a few scattered trees and some lovely deserted ruins for Daniel to get all excited about. It was their first mission since their extended stay on P801 and the General had picked a nice, easy archaeological dig for them to survey. They were scheduled for a three day stop, during which time they would complete a physical survey of the surrounding land and help Daniel categorise his artefacts.

`T', you set camp. Carter and I will take a walk around the local terrain' said Jack as he strolled off towards the largest closest hill.

Sam jogged to catch him up and they walked in companionable silence until they reached the base of the upward slope. Jack sat on a large rock, pulling his feet up, his hands clasped around his knees.

`Arm ok?' he asked.

`Fine sir. Just a little achye' said Sam.

`How about sleeping?' he asked shyly.

`I'll manage, sir' she answered.

`Yeah!' he said, almost wistfully.

He jumped down from the rock lightly and they continued the rest of the afternoon until the dimming light demanded their return to the camp.

`You just would not believe it' said Daniel enthusiastically, his mouth full of bread and stew.

`I'll bet' muttered the Colonel sub voce, making me smile.

`Both Abyssinian and Mongol influences in the same culture. I guess that the Goa'uld brought both sets of people here at different times' continued Daniel.

`Ya' don't say' murmured the Colonel.

Suddenly Daniel stopped and looked at me curiously. I wondered what the problem was.

`Daniel?' I asked.

`Oh, nothing' he said, faking a large yawn, `just tired I guess after such an exciting day'.

`Oh!' I said, surprised. Daniel usually drank too much coffee to go to sleep easily.

`I will take first watch' said Teal'c firmly.

Another surprise! The Colonel usually took first watch whilst we were off world. It had become a routine over the years. I guess things had changed more than I realised whilst the Colonel and I were away.

Daniel made a show of standing up and stretching. He headed for one of the tents, then stopping suddenly, he turned and pointed at the other tent.

`That's your tent, Sam' he said deliberately.

`I gathered that' I said, still puzzled by his strange behaviour. I watched as Teal'c gathered up his staff weapon and headed off on a circular trip around the camp.

`The guys are behaving a little oddly' I said to the Colonel.

`Oh!' he said, `I hadn't noticed!!'

Realising that I wasn't going to get anymore information I stood up and headed for my tent, hearing the Colonel putting out the fire behind me.

`Good night, sir' I said sadly.

`Hmmph' was all I heard as I pulled back my tent flaps. I undressed in the dark, unconsciously placing my boots and clothes where I had grown used to doing on P801. My sleeping bag felt warm and familiar as I snuggled down in it.

As soon as my eyes closed I felt the same dream start that had been haunting me since we had got back. There was a fast running river only inches from my feet and I could feel its icy depths pulling me in. This time however before I could scream with terror a strong arm reached down and I grasped it instinctively. The arm pulled me up and away from the danger, then wrapped round me comfortingly. I murmured appreciatively in my sleep as I clasped hold tight of Colonel O'Neill's arm. Sleepily I opened my eyes. It took a moment for my eyes to focus in the dark.

`Sir?' I whispered.

`Shush. Go to sleep' came back a familiar voice.

`But, sir. We can't do this' I protested.

`Yes we can. I told the guys that you had bad dreams whilst we were away. They do understand, ya know' he said stubbornly.

I felt my jaw drop in astonishment.

`You told them that we'd slept together?'

`Yes! And I made sure that they understood exactly what that meant. We haven't broken any regulations, and whilst you need me I don't see why it can't continue. If I thought that people back at base could understand, I'd do it there too' he said gruffly.

I felt overwhelmed and strangely contented. I curled around his arm, pulling it tight against my body. My face rested on his shoulder and I felt the pull of sleep. I was probably dreaming it, but just before unconsciousness claimed me completely I felt a soft kiss on my forehead and whisper of a comforting voice near my ear.

`Sleep well, Sam'.

THE END.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz