Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Sleepers

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sleepers

Sleepers

by PZ

Summary: The team go to a planet where even the water takes on an ominous aspect.
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/25/04

SLEEPER

SG1 visit a planet that controls Sam'c actions. Not very shippy, more team interaction.

Pairing : S/J Rating : 12 (some adultish scenes).

Colonel Jack O'Neill sighed contentedly as he leant against the warm sandstone wall. He glanced up at the blue cloudless sky and tweaked the peek of his cap lower over his eyes.

`Sweet!' he murmured as he shifted weight from one foot to the other.

Major Samantha Carter looked at her CO indulgently before turning to watch the passing crowds, one hand resting idly on her P90. A movement caught her eye and she nodded at Doctor Daniel Jackson as he pushed his way though the crowds.

`This society is a fantastic mixture of cultures,' he blurted, his eyes shining with enthusiasm. He spun round, his hands gesticulating wildly.

`I've seen Phoenician and North African influences mixed with some South American tribal cultures. It's a fascinating mish mash of different races in a way that we haven't seen before. The Goa'uld generally source from one racial group' he gabled, his voice becoming faster as he spoke.

`Do I understand that you might be quite keen to stay a while, Daniel?' said Jack laconically.

Sam raised an eyebrow as she watched Daniel Jackson pause dramatically, mid-sentence, `Stay a while?'.

`I think I said that' said Jack, `Didn't I say that?' he asked Sam.

`Yes, sir' she muttered.

Daniel squinted at Jack and waited for an explanation. Jack shifted from one foot to the other, rearranging his jacket before he appeared to remember that the other members of his team were waiting for further elucidation.

`Ah, yes. As I was saying, the head man has invited us to some celebration, scheduled for tonight, so looks like we'll be here for a couple of days. Hammond seems to think that we could do with a little down time, but if anyone would prefer to spend it back home, we can head for the gate right now?'

Sam and Daniel immediately shook their heads. Teal'c raised one eyebrow and tilted his head.

`I'll take that as acceptance' said Jack, grinning briefly.

`Do we need to set camp, sir?' asked Sam.

`Nope! We have quarters allocated, right over there' said Jack, smirking as the three team members gaped at a little row of stone built houses that lined the nearest side of the square.

`One each?' asked Sam tentatively.

`Sure' said Jack, `and there's even some kinda shower'.

`Oh yes!' said Sam happily as Jack gesticulated towards the nearest door with his P90.

`The party starts in 40' said Jack, glancing at his watch before closing the door behind her.

Sam looked around the small neat room and peeling off her heavy jacket, she dropped it onto the bed and stretched her arms above her head before heading towards the small shower room with a contented sigh.

***

In the perfect darkness, the sleeper stirred. His emaciated limbs twitched as the fluids pulsed into the swollen veins raised like knotted chords on his fragile arms. Motes of dust floated through the pencil thin light beams that suddenly erupted from creaking machinery as it grumbled into life. A small trail of moisture trickled from the sleeper's mouth and made a trail through the thick layer of dust that covered his face. An inarticulate groan escaped from cracked lips as blood once more circulated through the distorted body.

***

Sam tilted her head back contentedly as the warm water sluiced over her. She closed her eyes and let it run over her face and trickle down between her shoulder blades. Suddenly she opened her eyes wide and frowned, a puzzled crease appearing between her eyes. She looked down quickly and watched the water curiously as it appeared to coagulate in the curve beneath her ribs. It formed glutinous globules that shimmered and pulsated. The `thickened' water gathered together and moved with a purpose. As she watched, it moved up her body until it enveloped her breasts with a uniform layer of `mercury like' fluid. She gasped as the liquid massaged the tender skin, her arms flailing against the walls of the shower.

***

In the fractured darkness the sleeper thrashed and groaned, his naked skull smashing onto the cold, hard surface beneath him until his thin, pale blood ran across the few remaining strands of hair.

***

At last Sam managed to push open the shower door and as she stepped out from the warmth of the shower room, the `funny' water fractured into a million atoms and fell to the floor with a splash. With a shudder, she grabbed a large towel, dried herself quickly, dressed and left the small room. Outside, the square bustled with activity. Tables were being laid with food and drink and lanterns were being strung from trees and across the gaps between buildings. To Sam's eyes the whole celebration had acquired a slight air of menace. She rubbed the back of her neck with one hand and wondered whether her experience in the shower had been a dream, whether she'd fallen asleep under the relaxing deluge of warm water. A familiar voice interrupted her reverie.

`Whatchya doin', Carter?'

She flashed her CO a quick smile.

`Sir, did you notice anything funny in the shower?' she asked.

Jack O'Neill raised an eyebrow and considered the question.

`I mean with the water, Colonel. Did you notice anything strange with the way the water behaved?' she clarified, `Did you notice the water exhibiting any strange properties?'.

`Would you like to explain a little more?' said Jack with a puzzled frown.

Sam thought back to the incident in the shower.

`Not really, sir' she said.

`Well.... It seemed wet!' he said helpfully.

`Thank you, sir' she said with a little shake of her head, glad to see the familiar figures of Daniel Jackson and Teal'c heading in their direction.

`This is looking nice' said Daniel, his eyes flickering over the now completed preparations for the party, which was already starting.

`Indeed, Daniel Jackson' said Teal'c.

`The food looks great, and there appears to be some kind of local home grown moonshine and something very like beer' said Daniel enthusiastically.

`Well, I suggest that you socialise with the locals, kids' said Jack, `but remember that you are representing your planet. Hammond wants us to smooth the way for a treaty. It seems they have some mineral or other that our egg heads find absolutely fascinating'.

`You want to try the local beer, Jack?' asked Daniel keenly, his eyes flicking around the various groups of people drinking and laughing together.

Jack shook his head.

`I'll stick to water' he said wryly.

`Sam?' asked Daniel.

`Sure, why not? I'll try a beer' said Sam with a shrug.

Daniel grinned and headed for the nearest table.

***

The Sleeper's legs convulsed, pulling against the restraints that bound him to the cold, hard slab. Although his body had slept for eons, his mind was awakening to the aura of the strangers, thousands of feet above him. He pulled fretfully at the straps as the fluids pulsed through him again.

***

`Having a good time?' asked Jack, drinking from a tall glass of water.

He looked down at the glass with a puzzled expression, his tongue running nervously over his lips before he took another long drink. Sam didn't notice as his eyes became unfocussed.

`Yes, sir' said Sam happily. The beer had reduced her earlier fears to a vague memory and she reached past her CO for another one.

Suddenly, a group of dancers careered towards them between the tables. Sam watched them in horror as the dancer in the front tripped, which in turn felled the person behind. The tumbling group teetered towards her until a strong arm wrapped around her waist from behind and pulled her backwards into a dark doorway. As the group passed by, she attempted to turn to thank her protector, but the arm around her body continued to hold her tightly.

`You ok?' whispered Jack into her ear.

She relaxed when she heard the familiar voice.

`Yes, sir. Thank you' she murmured.

`Good' he said softly into her ear.

Sam heard the click of the door catch behind them and then in one smooth movement, Jack stepped backwards, pulling her through the now open door. Sam felt the door close behind them, as Jack swung her round until she faced him. In the dimly lit room she saw his dark eyes glint as he studied her face intently. With one gentle hand he traced the outline of her face and then cupping the back of her head, he slowly pulled her towards him......

***

The Sleeper writhed in unaccustomed ecstasy; his body bucking against the slab until suddenly he arched upwards and a hoarse scream escaped and he fell back, panting; his breath rattling in his chest. He bit at his cracked lips until the blood flowed and he fell into the oblivion of unconsciousness.

***

Jack's first view, as he opened his eyes, was of a dimly lit surface. He immediately realise that he was laying horizontally on a soft base. His eyes flicked around, analysing clinically everything that he could see. He realised that he was naked, but what disturbed him the most was the tousled blond head resting on his shoulder. There was also a slender arm flung casually across his chest and a long smooth leg draped across his thighs. As he stared at the blond hair, she tilted her head back and a pair of stunning blue eyes met his shyly.

`Carter!' he said, feeling stunned.

She frowned a little before flashing him an unsure grin.

`That's a little formal, considering our situation,' she said.

`Err, yes. I guess' he answered, feeling confused.

Sam wriggled even closer to him and tightened her grip on his body, sighing contentedly as she did so.

`Will this change things?' she murmured.

`No! I mean yes, I mean I don't know' gabbled Jack, looking very confused.

Sam looked up at him again, a frown creasing the little space between her eyebrows.

He looked down at her, `I mean I really don't know' he said limply.

Sam studied his strong face closely.

`You don't know how you got here, do you?' she said sharply, grabbing the cover and wrapping it round her defensively.

Jack sat up and hung his head, `No!' he said succinctly.

`Oh my God!' said Sam, blushing furiously.

She sat silent for a moment.

`It's the water' she said suddenly.

`Water?'

`The water! You drank the water! Do you remember me asking about the water?'

Jack looked puzzled.

`I think I do', he said.

`When I had a shower, the water exhibited unusual properties' said Sam, switching into full blown scientist mode.

`What sort of properties?' prompted Jack.

Sam studied him silently.

`Never mind' she said, grabbing her clothes and dressing quickly. Jack looked away to give her privacy, and only turned back when he heard the door slam.

`Damn! DAMN!' he muttered as he dressed, his mind weighing up the consequences of what had happened.

***

The sleeper slept peacefully for the first time in an eternity. His pure white chalky skin flushed the palest pink. His eyes were still beneath their sealed lids, and his breathing smooth and controlled. The machines recorded his increased but even heartbeat and the slightest twitching of muscle tissue as blood pumped through it. The machines were content. For the first time in living memory, they were obeying the prime directives of their programming.

***

`Daniel!' called Jack over the loud sound of music and laughter.

Daniel Jackson was sat at a long table, surrounded by a large group of young people. They were talking animatedly.

`Daniel! Have you seen Sam?' shouted Jack.

Daniel turned towards him, cupping his hand over one ear.

`Have you seen Carter?' repeated Jack.

Daniel shrugged and after standing and pushing his way out of the crowd he joined Jack and they walked to a little quieter location. Jack scanned the party. He spotted Teal'c sat on the edge of a stone wall, and young boy anxiously pointing things out to him. Teal'c was listening intently, nodding occasionally.

`I thought Sam was with you' said Daniel, replying to Jack's earlier question.

`Yeah, well....' said Jack cryptically.

Daniel's eyebrows raised and he pursed his lips. He waited for Jack to continue.

`I might have upset her' he said defensively.

`How?' asked Daniel.

Jack shook his head.

`I didn't mean to. It's something to do with the water. It messes with your head. I can't actually remember anything about it' said Jack.

`You mean it's drugged?' asked Daniel.

`I do not think so, Daniel Jackson' said a deep resonant voice from behind him.

`T?' prompted Jack.

`I have been talking with a young person who has been telling me of a very interesting piece of local history. I believe that this may relevant'.

`Tell all, Teal'c' said Daniel keenly.

`This planet was not colonised by the Goa'uld, but by another race, whose name is lost in the mists of time. The boy referred to these people as 'The Sleepers'. It appears that they controlled all life and the behaviours of certain non-living substances from their laboratories, buried deep beneath the planet. Water was apparently one of the controlled substances.'

`Are these guys still around?' asked Jack.

`The boy said that they died many generations ago' said Teal'c.

`Maybe not' muttered Jack.

Jack looked around again.

`Look guys! Under the influence of water, I inadvertently behaved in a way that upset Carter. We had better find her. If this sleeper is still around somewhere, we may not be safe. Maybe the locals are not affected anymore.'

`You mean that they've become immune to the sleeper's effects?' asked Daniel.

Jack shrugged.

`I don't know, but I think it would be a good idea to find Carter first, and then maybe we can work something out' said Jack, `T' you take that side of the square, I'll take this side. Daniel, you check along the back wall. We'll meet up by the well'.

`What exactly did you do to Sam?' asked Daniel.

Jack studied him silently.

`It doesn't matter' said Jack sharply.

`Really?' said Daniel astutely before he turned and headed into the crowd.

Jack scanned the crowds with sharp eyes. Although the square was full, he was sure that his 2IC wasn't present. He walked close to the smooth sandstone wall that edged the square, his eyes flicking into each doorway as he passed them. Half way along wall, he noticed a blackness that indicated an opening. Tightening his grip on his P90, he turned into the dim alleyway and walked silently away from the bustling square, his back pressed to the wall. Even in the dim light, Jack could see that the alley ended after only a short distance. The moonlight reflected off the oily surface of a stretch of water that lapped against the far wall of the buildings. The reflection was broken by the shadow of a figure, sat slumped on a small wall by the water.

Sam felt glad to be away from the happy crowds. Her mood didn't fit with the celebrations. The dim alley seemed somehow appropriate to how she felt, and the small wall by the softly rippling water soothed her jangled nerves.

Absently, she trailed one hand into the cool breeze that fluttered across the surface of the lake. She didn't see the swelling of the water directly beneath her fingers. A tendril of water reached up and curved around her wrist without actually touching her pale skin. Suddenly, the watery noose tightened and gripped her tightly around the arm. Sam let out a cry of alarm and she pulled away from the water which was dragging her down towards the surface of the lake. She heard a shout and instinctively obeyed it's tone.

`Carter! Don't move!' shouted Jack.

Sam watched the flash of a silvery blade as it sliced firstly through the air and then though the solidified water.

***

The Sleeper screamed in frustration. His unseeing eyes opened. Since the strangers had come, he had felt stronger daily. The energy of life pulsed through his veins once more.

***

Sam stumbled backwards as the tension from the water disappeared. A pair of strong arms held her steady as she shook the last of the water droplets from her sleeve.

`You ok?' asked Jack calmly as he leaned over and rescued his knife.

Sam nodded, then remembering that it was dark and he wouldn't be able to see her, she spoke dully `Yes, sir, thank you`.

`Listen, Sam. I don't know what to say about what happened between us' said Jack awkwardly.

`It doesn't matter, sir' said Sam.

`Yes it does' said Jack, tightening his grip on her arms.

Sam shook him off, braking Jack's grasp. She walked over to the other side of the alleyway and rested her throbbing forehead against the cool stone wall.

`I mean what I said before. I really don't know what to say' said Jack helplessly.

Sam turned and resting her back against the wall, she faced him silently.

`You don't remember, Colonel' she said coolly, `so philosophically, for you, nothing did happen'.

`And what about for you?' asked Jack.

`I made a mistake' she said after a minute.

`Really? That bad, huh?'

`No' she said sadly.

Jack took one step towards her.

`Sam,' he said quietly.

`Don't!' she snapped.

Jack stepped back from her again and rearranged his P90.

`Teal'c was talking to one of the local boys who told him a tale about the original settlers, some guys called the Sleepers. They apparently had the ability to control physical aspects such as water. Seems that one of them might still be alive and kicking.'

`Where do we find these `Sleepers'' asked Sam.

`I don't know, but I think we need to stop this guy in his tracks'.

`Why?' asked Sam.

`Why!! Because this 'Sleeper' is dangerous' said Jack, his voice rising in frustration.

`Is he?' asked Sam absently.

`Carter!!'.

`Let's look at the facts, Colonel. If this 'Sleeper' has all this power, he could easily have hurt us. Instead he made us behave in an inappropriate but basically harmless way' said Sam.

`Inappropriate' muttered Jack.

`Colonel, I know this is an awkward situation, but I think we need to look at the situation objectively. If we could understand how this 'Sleeper' controls the water, maybe we could learn something that we could use against the goa'uld' said Sam.

`Suggestions?' asked Jack.

`I could contact the sleeper' said Sam.

`How?' asked Jack.

Sam turned and pointed at the body of shimmering water behind her.

`Direct line, I guess' she said.

Jack shook his head.

`No way! Too dangerous'.

`With due respect, sir, as I said before, I don't believe that the Sleeper intends to harm us, or he would have done it already'.

Jack chewed his lip thoughtfully.

`Let me go get Daniel and Teal'c. Don't move until I get back, and that's an order' said Jack over his shoulder as he jogged up the alley.

Sam watched him leave before turning dreamily back to the heaving water. She walked slowly towards the lake, shedding her jacket and weaponry as she walked. Without hesitation she walked straight into the water, stopping when the water lapped at her thighs. She closed her eyes and sank slowly into the water which heaved up to meet her, caressing her skin as it slid up her body.

***

The Sleeper murmured. His muscles flexed as he sat up, his head falling forward onto his chest. He slowly stretched out one arm and then the other, his hands splaying out as he embraced an imaginary other.

***

As Sam floated down towards the bottom of the lake, she felt supported by the water and she dreamed. She felt that she saw the world though someone else's eyes. She saw images of darkness punctuated by narrow beams of blinding light. She fought to focus on the whirring machinery crouching in the corner, but all she could see clearly was her crabbed, twisted hands. The hands twisted and moved, knotted fingers clawing at her face, caressing and stroking. She made a soft moan deep in her throat as the hands transformed into the strong tanned ones of her CO as he grabbed her firmly and pulled out from the water.

`No!!' she moaned, her voice rising to a gurgle of anguish.

`Carter! Carter!' shouted Jack as he pumped the water from her lungs.

Sam coughed a couple of times and she struggled against his firm grasp.

`Sam. It's me!' said Jack, his arms clutching her wet body to his chest.

`Ahh!' she moaned inarticulately, her arms and legs thrashing feebly.

`Sam! I lied to help you. I do remember. I just thought it would be easier if I said that I didn't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Sam' gabbled Jack quickly.

Sam sniffed and sat quietly in his arms as he rocked her gently to and fro.

`I couldn't control what was happening but I do remember. I guess that the Sleeper just read it all from my mind. I don't think that he could have made me do anything that I didn't want' whispered Jack into her hair.

`What happened in the water?' he asked gently.

`I became part of him' whispered Sam.

`What do you mean?'

`I saw what he saw. There was a room. It was dark with pencil thin beams of light and there was some kind of machinery. I saw his hands. They were twisted and bent' said Sam.

`Did you see where he was?' asked Jack.

Sam thought for a moment before replying, `It was deep underground I think. It felt close, but deep down. It was warm and the air tasted stale'.

Jack placed his jacket around her wet shoulders and smoothed her dripping hair from her face. He gave her a wry grin.

`How come we always seem to get into these situations?' he asked.

Sam smiled a little.

`I don't know' she said simply.

`Jack, Sam! What happened' interrupted Daniel Jackson.

Daniel and Teal'c jogged lightly down the alleyway towards them.

`Carter decided to go swimming' said Jack, standing up and offering his hand to Sam.

`Really?' said Daniel looking from one to the other with a squint of interest.

`Seemed a nice night for a swim' said Sam with wide eyes, noticing Teal'c's eyebrow as it raised in disbelief.

`We believe that we have located the entrance to the Sleeper's abode' said Teal'c solemnly.

Jack looked interested.

`Where?' he asked.

`In the far corner of the square, there is an entrance which has been imbued with mystical properties by the locals. They believe that to pass the stone arch will result in doom and destruction' said Teal'c .

`A common mechanism for keeping unwanted interest in a place down. The ancient Egyptians frequently used the threat of a curse to protect pyramids from grave robbers' said Daniel whilst he polished his glasses.

`So what are we waiting for, kids?' asked Jack impatiently, `Carter, do you need to change?'

`No, sir. I'm drying already, and it is warm' said Sam.

Jack nodded and after a momentary glance at Sam he headed for the portal, followed by the rest of the team.

***

Jack swiped at the cobwebs with his P90 and shuddered.

`Did I ever tell you I have this insane aversion to bugs?' he asked.

`I believe that you have!' said Teal'c stoically as they walked down the continually sloping tunnel.

Daniel wiped the sweat from his forehead with a large chequered handkerchief.

`It's getting very warm in here' he complained.

`I've calculated that we've walked for at least ten klicks' said Sam and at the angle of slope, we must have descended at least one klick beneath the surface.

`Anyone have any idea how far we have to go to find this sleeper?' asked Jack, 'Daniel haven't you seen any convenient wall writing that tells us exactly where he is?'

`No' said Daniel sulkily.

`Ok, kids, lets call a water break' said Jack stopping and crouching down with his back against the tunnel wall, he pulled out a bottle of water and studied it.

`Are you sure that this water is what we brought with us and not the local stuff?' asked Jack.

`It is' said Teal'c confidently.

Jack sipped at it cautiously, waited a moment and then took a longer drink.

The four team members continued walking for another hour before reaching an apparent dead end in the form of a smooth stone wall.

`Suggestions?' prompted Jack.

Sam studied the wall closely, running her fingertips over a faint crack in the stone. She frowned slightly and placed her cheek against the wall.

`I think I feel a slight vibration' said Sam.

Jack placed his palms flat on the surface.

`Hmm! Maybe' he said.

`I believe this could be an opening device' called Teal'c.

He was standing to one side of the tunnel, his hand hovering over a raised area on the tunnel wall.

`You may as well' said Jack with a shrug, `we`ve come a long way to get here`.

Teal'c swiped his hand over the bump a couple of times and waited. A faint vibration started that could be detected even through the soles of their regulation boots and clouds of dust filtered down from the ceiling.

`Stand back' shouted Jack over the groaning sound of stone moving reluctantly against stone.

As they watched, the crack in the wall widened and then stopped, leaving a gap large enough for them to squeeze through, some more easily than others.

Jack shone his torch quickly around the room.

`There, sir' cried Sam, pointing towards an alter like slab on which lay a shadowy figure.

She walked slowly towards the dim shape, stopping at the side of the slab.

`Oh, God!' she said, one hand instinctively covering her mouth.

The figure that lay there was withered and emaciated but obviously alive as evidenced by the feeble movement of it's clawed hands. Tubes ran from the body and into the stone beneath and she could see the pulsing of fluid as it ran through transparent veins.

`Is it a man?' asked Daniel horrified.

Sam instinctively reached out her hand and placed her fingers gently on his neck.

`He is alive. I think!' she said.

`Doesn't look too good' said Jack.

`What is this?' asked Teal'c from the corner. He was stood by the machine that crouched there like a mechanical parasite.

`I think that it's keeping him alive' said Sam, studying the mass of tubes leading from the machine.

`What now?' asked Jack.

`I don't know, sir. I feel sure that he'd die if we moved him' said Sam.

Jack looked thoughtful for a moment.

`I guess we leave him to it then' said Jack, turning and heading back towards the entrance.

`You can't do that. Look at him!' protested Daniel.

`I believe that O'Neill is correct. He appears to have no affect on the locals where he is, and if we move him he will surely die' said Teal'c logically.

`But, we can't leave him here like this! Surely Janet Fraser can do something for him. It's got to be worth a try at least' shouted Daniel.

Jack sighed deeply.

`We'll present the facts when we get home and let the medics there decide' he finally decided, `Carter, you have enough information to present?'

`I think so, sir' said Sam efficiently.

As they left the Sleeper alone once more, she cast a last regretful glance in his direction.

`Goodbye' she whispered, to herself.

***

`Our initial investigation concurs with SG1's findings, General. Any attempt to move the Sleeper would inevitably lead to his death. It appears that his body has become incorporated into the machinery that maintains him. As SG1 suspected, the natives have developed a kind of antibody that makes them impervious to the affects of the Sleeper. We should be able to synthesize an equivalent that will allow us to inoculate against the Sleeper and allow our people to continue with the mineral rights negotiation safely' said Dr Janet Fraser.

She sat down and folded her hands neatly in front of her on the table.

`Good work, Sg1' said General George Hammond, nodding towards his flagship team.

Jack O'Neill pursed his lips thoughtfully.

`And the Sleeper guy?' he asked.

`Surely we're aren't going to pretend that he doesn't exist?' protested Daniel Jackson, `we must be able to help him'.

`I'm sorry, Dr Jackson. Our investigation suggests not. The best thing to do is to ensure that the machinery is working and make sure that the Sleeper is as comfortable as possible' said Janet.

`Well, that's about all, people. I suggest that you take advantage of a little down time. There's a pre-mission brief scheduled for Monday at 0800 hrs' said George Hammond as he shuffled his papers into a neat pile and headed for the door of the briefing room.

`Woo-hoo. Where to next?' said Jack O'Neill sarcastically.

`I believe that General Hammond wishes us to escort a diplomatic mission to the alpha site, O'Neill' said Teal'c solemnly.

`Diplomats! My favourite people..... Next to dogs of course! Have I told you how much I like dogs?'

Daniel Jackson groaned.

`Let me out of this mad house. I need coffee' he said as he left quickly.

`I will accompany you' said Teal'c, leaving equally quickly.

`Did I say something?' said Jack, eyes open wide in mock innocence.

Sam let out a soft guffaw, before choking back on an outright laugh.

`You do do it deliberately, don't you?' she said with a grin.

`What?' asked Jack innocently.

`You know!' said Sam, smiling.

`Ah! That! Maybe!' said Jack cryptically.

Sam smiled to herself as she shuffled her papers and picked up her tidy file.

`Carter! I think we have some unfinished business' said Jack uncomfortably.

`I don't understand, sir' said Sam, hurrying towards the door. `I think you do' said Jack, his hands rammed in his pockets and his long legs stretched out in front of him.

`Sir! What happens when we are under the influence of alien technology is usually discounted once we get home. You know that! We write it off as just another experience' said Sam, 'and besides I have some experiments to set up before I can go home and it is getting late'.

With that she turned abruptly and headed out of the door.

`Humph' grunted Jack with a scowl.

***

Sam shrugged off her jacket, stowing it neatly away into a closet. She sighed, stretched her arms upwards and then backwards before switching on a small, cream lamp. The room was suffused with a soft glow and she slumped onto the sofa gratefully. As she leaned back against the plump cushions, the door bell rang. Sam frowned and hesitated until the bell rang again. She opened the door cautiously.

`I've brought you a present' said a deep voice, accompanied by an arm thrust through the partly open door. It was clutching a large bottle of sparkling mineral water.

Sam opened the door fully and let her CO into the house. He stood by the door, looking suddenly unsure of himself. Sam recognised his awkwardness and with a quick movement she took the bottle from him and gesticulated towards the lounge.

`Take a seat, I'll get glasses' she said.

`Water?' she questioned when she returned from the kitchen.

`It seemed appropriate somehow' said Jack, taking a glass from her.

Sam sat opposite him and sipped at her water.

`It's late' she said after a minute, stifling a yawn.

Jack put his glass down onto a small table next to the sofa.

`This should not get cold' he said cryptically.

`Sir?'

`If we don't work through what happened on P9C it could end up destroying the team structure'.

`It's not difficult' said Sam stubbornly.

`Why don't you take us through it then?'

Sam stood up and walked quickly around the room as she spoke.

`We went to a planet where the water had properties that affected behaviour patterns. You were affected by the water and behaved in a way that was un typical. There's no reason why it should happen again and no reason why it should affect the team dynamic' said Sam quietly.

`And you?' prompted Jack.

`I simply made a mistake' said Sam, staring into her glass.

`Is that how you feel, really?' he asked calmly.

`I don't know' she said miserably, stopping and leaning against a shadowy wall.

Jack stood up and walked over to her, stopping in front of her. He deliberately didn't touch her as he spoke.

`Sam, I no longer know how much was me and how much was the Sleeper. But I do know that it doesn't matter. Like I said I do remember, in fact I'll never forget. Quite how it happened however is a little vague!' said Jack.

`We were in the square when a group of people toppled over and you pulled me backwards into a doorway to save me from the melee' said Sam, `Next minute we were on the other side of the doorway`.

Jack watched her intently, barely noticing as he moved closer to her.

`Was it so bad?' he whispered.

Sam shook her head, letting it fall forward, not seeing Jack's hand as it moved up towards her face. As his fingertips touched her cheek she let out a sigh and closed her eyes. He tilted her face up gently and softly brushed her cheek with his lips. In one smooth movement she was leaning against him and his arms wrapped tightly around her......

***

Jack's first view, as he opened his eyes, was of stars shining brightly through the gauzy screen across a window. He immediately realised that he was laying horizontally on a soft base. His eyes flicked around, analysing clinically everything that he could see. He realised that he was naked, but what amazed him the most was the tousled blond head resting on his shoulder. There was also a slender arm flung casually across his chest and a long smooth leg draped across his thighs. As he stared at the blond hair, she tilted her head back and a pair of stunning blue eyes met his shyly.

`Carter!' he said, feeling stunned.

`That's a little formal, sir. Considering our situation' she said softly, deliberately repeating her previous words.

`You're right. Sam!' he said changing their earlier script.

Sam grinned up at him and then turning back, she snuggled her head into the crook of his neck.

`Are you sure that water is local?' he asked.

`Yes' she said in a whisper.

`Good!' he said as he closed his eyes and felt the weight of sleep wash over him.

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to PZ