Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Old Friends

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Old Friends

Old Friends

by pz

Summary: An old story dredged out of the cobwebs of my hard drive! SG1 meet on old foe, a new foe and a new friend. The start of something bigger.
Category: Action/Adventure
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/20/03

Old Friends
SG1 Meet an old foe and a new one.

Rating : PG

Set after Meridian, but before Jonas is assigned to SG1.

This has been sitting on my PC for a very long time. It was one of my first attempts to write, so apologies for the rather cheesy bits!!!

Only Minsky belongs to me the rest are on loan!

S/J - but only a bit, really.

General Hammond handed out briefing dossiers to the four members of SG1. They were sat around the table in the debriefing room. Colonel Jack O'Neill and Major Samantha Carter sat on one side of the polished teak table, while Teal'c and Captain Minsky, the newest team member sat on the other

`These are the results obtained when we sent the MALP through to P537. As you can see, Major, there are unusually high levels of Naquadaah in the soil!' said Hammond

Sam Carter cast her scientific eye over the table of figures on the sheet in front of her, and after raising an eyebrow, let out a low whistle of appreciation at what she was reading

`Wow, it looks unusually pure as well, sir. Look at these readings. Less than 2% impurity level in the samples that we've tested. The best that we've seen previously has been around 35%. That level of impurity could result in a tenfold increase in power ratio outputs. This stuff is dynamite, literally!'.

Jack O'Neill tapped his pencil on the table with impatience as his 2IC started talking figures. `What about the locals, sir? Won't they mind us walking in all over their Naquadaah deposits?'

`As yet we've failed to locate any, Colonel. SG3 carried out a thorough reconnaissance of the area and turned up no evidence of local habitation '.

'Isn't that just a teensy bit unusual?'

`I concur, General. It would be very unusual for the Goa'uld to ignore such a rich source' said Teal'c solemnly.

`As I say, we don't know for sure,' replied Hammond, 'but I see no positive indications why we shouldn't go in, with the usual precautions of course'.

`For the Naquadaah, sir?' asked Sam.

'Yes, Major. Anyway, you have a go for 16:00 hrs. Any questions?'

The General turned to face the newest member of the team. Captain Donald Minsky was tall, blond and Nordic looking. He had wide shoulders and a square, chiselled chin. Captain Minsky had already been on a couple of routine training missions with SG1, and the team looked to be shaking down well. General Hammond had looked hard before settling on Don Minsky for as replacement for Daniel Jackson. Well, not really a replacement. He had soon realised that it would be impossible to replace the very special skills that Dr Jackson had possessed. Instead he had tried to recruit someone with another complementary skill. He was maybe a little short of active service, but the team already had plenty of that expertise. Captain Minsky did have one unusual talent. He could see patterns. He'd spent most of his time since graduation working in the codes and ciphers department where he had excelled. George Hammond had pulled a lot of strings to get Don assigned to SGC. He also had a talent for empathising. It was thought that the two skills were related. He seemed to have the ability to see the patterns in behaviour and reaction, as well as words, letters, shapes and numbers.

'You ready for this, Captain Minsky' he asked.

`Yes, sir' snapped back Minsky in response.

Jack O'Neill winced at the sharpness of Minsky's response

'You have a go SG1,' said the General.

The four team members were fully kitted out and in the SGC control room in good time. Colonel Jack O'Neill scrutinised his newest team member, checking his uniform and equipment..

`C4, Captain?'

`Here, sir'

`Grenades?'

`Yes, sir. Here and here'.

`Sidearm?'

`Here, sir'

`Knife?'

'Knife, sir?'

Jack looked smug.

`Knife, Minsky. You never know when you might need one. Close combat! Also useful for Goa'ulds with a personal energy shield. A knife will penetrate when a faster weapon will not. Carter'll explain why'.

`It's all about the way the shielding works, Minsky. Slow weapons can slide in between the oscillations of the energy wave, whereas fast objects bounce off'.

Jack listened with a faint smile on his lips as Sam explained and then raised an eyebrow at Minsky.

`See. Told you she'd know!' he said.

Jack O'Neill unstrapped a long hunting knife from his left calf and handed it over. Samantha Carter smiled to herself as she watched. Jack was always equipped like a small army, but more than once they had been glad of it.

Jack looked closely at his new team member.

`You nervous, captain?'

`Yes, sir' he said cautiously.

`Good. You should be. Now listen Minsky. When we go through the gate, Teal'c will take point. Teal'c?'

Teal'c nodded silently as he watched the technician dial the gate address.

`You follow Teal'c, then me, then Carter on our sixes'.

`Yes, sir' said Minsky.

Jack waved his hand leisurely.

`Let's go, kids, and watch your backs'

Teal'c looked carefully around as the four members of SG1 made their way down the slight slope on which the Stargate stood. There were precipitous cliff faces lowering above them on both sides. Water dripped continuously down the rock faces and all of Jack O'Neill's instincts screamed trouble.

`T', I don't like the look of this' said Jack glancing at the rocky walls surrounding them

`Nor do I, O'Neill' said Teal'c.

'If I wanted to ambush someone, this would be the place' said Jack.

`I agree,' said Teal'c'

'Well let's find somewhere to set up camp, kids,' said Jack, his eyes still flicking around the locale.

It was just starting to rain as they settled on a small clearing, some way from the gate. The cliff was sheer around two sides, the third side was clear of the piles of rocks that littered the terrain and the fourth side looked defendable.

`Ok. Make camp. I'll take first watch, then Carter, Teal'c and Minsky. And, let's be careful. My gut signals trouble'.

They all nodded in agreement and Teal'c and Samantha Carter started to unroll the small tent and waterproof bedding. Jack O'Neill sat perched on a large flat-topped rock. He was cradling his P90, his experienced eyes darting from one side of the surrounding terrain to the other. When the camp was set up, Samantha Carter strolled over and sat down next to him.

`You don't look relaxed, sir'.

`I'm not'.

`You think there's trouble brewing?'

`I can smell it. You get to be like that after years on the job'.

`You worried about Minsky?'

`No, he's a good kid'.

`Yes he is. It's still strange though. I think General Hammond was right not to try and replace Daniel with someone similar' said Sam sadly.

`There is no-one like Danny'.

`No, sir'.

They both sat quietly for a while, thinking of their missing team member. Jack O'Neill broke the silence.

`Carter, Is it really worth it to get this Naquadaah? Surely we have other sources?'

Sam shook her head, `But it's so pure, sir. This could reduce the time that we spend purifying the stuff. It will have far greater energy outputs too'

`Hmph'.

`Not convinced?'

`We'll see. And, Carter...'

`Yes, sir'.

`Keep your eyes wide open'.

`I will, sir'.

After Major Carter had left him, Jack continued to watch for movement in the bleak terrain. He muttered to himself.

`Danny boy. I don't like this. I don't like it one little bit'.

As grey clouds rolled overhead, thunder rumbled in the rocky crevasse. A couple of rocks skidded down the cliffs, then a few more. The wind was getting up and it made Jack O'Neill nervous. He settled his P90 into a better position, but didn't react when he heard a slight sound behind him. Suddenly he rolled quickly to one side, drawing a large heavily bladed knife from behind his back. As he rolled, he grabbed the figure behind him and pinned it down with the knife. A grunt came from the blond head of Minsky.

`Christ Minsky. I could have killed you,' shouted Jack.

`Sorry, sir,' muttered Minsky, his voice muffled by Jack's hand.

`What do you want? You're not on watch yet. And next time, don't sneak up on me,' snapped Jack.

`It's the rock falls, sir'

`What about them?' asked Jack, puzzled.

`I don't think they're random, sir'.

`You don't?'

`No. Listen Colonel. Hear that. I think there are three separate sources. There, there and there', and he pointed.

Jack looked around, `You sure, Minsky?'

`Pretty sure, sir'.

`I hope you're wrong, but get Carter and Teal'c. We'll move out of here. And keep it quiet'.

Don Minsky silently went over to Sam and Teal'c and shook them firmly. The Jaffa's eyes opened instantly. Minsky put his finger to his lips and Teal'c nodded. Sam Carter hadn't been asleep and she stood up stealthily, picking up her weapons with one smooth action. They followed Minsky back to Colonel O'Neill. He quickly signalled for them to move off to the right and they followed. As they circled a small outcrop of rock, a blast from a Jaffa staff weapon struck where they had been stood. All four team members hit the floor. Colonel O'Neill signalled Teal'c and Minsky to cover the right side, whilst he and Carter circled around to the left. As they edged behind a small mound, Jack and Sam came face to face with a group of four Jaffa.

`Damn. Cover me, Carter,' said Jack quickly.

As Sam opened fire with her P90, Jack pulled the pin on a grenade and rolled it into the group of Jaffa. The grenade exploded and two of the Jaffa fell to the ground. The remaining two stumbled to one side and fired indiscriminately with their staff weapons. Covering fire came from the right and O'Neill quickly spotted Teal'c and Minsky. The Jaffa wheeled around and Carter fired at point blank range. The last Jaffa, realising he was alone dived for cover but Jack O'Neill dived after him and pinned him down with his knife.

`Got you,' he muttered.

Teal'c and Minsky trotted over and knelt next to Jack. He gesticulated at the markings on the Jaffa's forehead.

`What do you reckon, Teal'c. Anyone we know?'

`I'm not sure O'Neill. The symbol is not familiar. Let me talk to him'.

Jack stood up and let Teal'c take his place.

`Who do you serve, Jaffa?'

`I serve my God?'

`No Goa'uld is a God. They are only parasites that inhabit the bodies of men'.

`You will not say that when he crushes you under his foot,' said the Jaffa with true venom in his voice.

Jack looked Teal'c up and down and whispered to Sam.

`Must have damned big feet' he muttered.

Sam looked askance at him.

`I will only ask once more. Who is your master?' continued Teal'c.

`I serve Isis,' said the Jaffa distainfully..

`Isis?' queried Teal'c.

`That is what I said'.

`You lie. Isis is dead,' spat Teal'c.

`No more. He has risen again'.

Teal'c tied the Jaffa's arms together and then fastened him firmly to a tree stump. After checking that the Jaffa was secure, Teal'c joined the other members of his team. He had a puzzled look on his face.

`What's this mean, Teal'c? Who is Isis?' asked Jack.

`Isis is the partner of Osiris. She was killed millennia ago after she betrayed Osiris to Ra. But it seems she did not die and has risen again?'

`Nice girl, huh?'

`No. I do not believe so, O'Neill'.

`Well what's she doing now?'

`I do not know O'Neill'.

`I guess that they're here for the same reason as us?'

`I concur. Such a Naquadaah source would indeed strengthen Isis's hand.'

`Well kids, that's enough for me. I think it's time to get out of here,' said Jack decisively.

`What about him?' asked Teal'c, pointing at the Jaffa.

`Just leave him. Go, go, go!' said Jack.

Jack pointed his P90 back towards the Stargate.

`Carter, get dialling!' shouted Jack.

`On my way, sir,' replied Sam.

`Teal'c, get Minsky and get over there' ordered Jack 'I'll pick up the stuff.'

Teal'c ducked behind the rocky outcrop and grabbed Minsky.

`Captain Minsky. Colonel O'Neill has ordered us out.'

`Coming,' replied Minsky.

Jack ducked around and grabbed all the kit. He could hear the gate chevrons dialling and he counted automatically.

`One, two'

He grabbed the last bedroll and ran for the gate.

`Three, four, five'

He heard Sam shout.

`Dialling abandoned. Incoming wormhole'.

With a muttered `Damn', Jack dropped all the gear in a pile behind a rock and Shouted, `Get undercover. Now!'

He just reached them as the wormhole solidified.

`Carter, catch' shouted Jack, and he threw her P90 towards her.

She caught it deftly and ducked down behind the dialling device. Just as Teal'c and Minsky had dragged away the two Jaffa bodies away from in front of the gate, two staff weapons solidified in the event horizon. They were quickly followed by two brawny Jaffa. Behind them strode a cloaked figure, and then two more Jaffa. The party looked impressive. As they passed the dialling plinth, Sam Carter silently edged around the other side. Colonel O'Neill signalled to the other two and they circled around behind the company.

Suddenly one of the Jaffa shouted. The Jaffa tied to the tree had been discovered. The cloaked figure strode over to the Jaffa and questioned him closely. When he was finished, he signalled to his four Jaffa and they spread out. He turned to the Jaffa sat on the floor and struck him hard across the face. His face was contorted as he spoke with a snarling voice.

`You shame me. Snivelling slave. How can four Tau'ri, one a women take the Jaffa of Isis' sneared the Goa`uld.

`We were surprised, my lord. It will not happen again' snivelled the Jaffa.

`No. It will not'.

Isis raised his hand towards the Jaffa. A golden disk glowed in his palm and the Jaffa writhed on the ground until he was still.

Isis shouted, `Find the Tau'ri. Find them!'.

The Jaffa began to systematically comb the area, occasionally firing a staff weapon into clumps of dry stunted bushes. Jack O'Neill watched carefully. He spotted his other two team members and signalled them to stay still and just watch. One of the Jaffa circled back towards the Stargate. Samantha Carter was still crouched behind the dais, her back flat against the stone. Jack could see that if the Jaffa continued in the same direction, Sam would be discovered. He watched a few seconds longer then let off a volley of shots in their direction. Sam leapt out from her hiding place behind the dais and ran towards the cover of a large pile of fallen rocks. A second Jaffa fired in her direction and the edge of the shot caught Major Carter on the shoulder. She tripped, fell to the floor and rolled towards the rocky outcrop. Teal'c leapt out from behind a bush, firing towards the Jaffa, taking first one and then another. Minsky followed and covered Teal'c's back with shots towards the remaining two Jaffa who were running towards them. Jack spotted Isis stood alone and he ran straight towards him. He raised his P90 and hissed at the Goa'uld.

`Tell them to stand down'

`How dare you speak to me?' sneered Isis with glowing eyes.

`Tell them or I'll kill you' snarled Jack.

`You kill me!'

`I think I said that' and he pointed the P90 into Isis's face. The Goa'uld let out a roar of anger and he raised his hand towards Jack. Minsky ran towards them, firing as he ran. Jack dropped then turned and fired towards Isis. The shots ricoched off an invisible field that shimmered around the Goa'uld. He smiled coldly as he stood unharmed.

`You think you can harm me? I will crush you like the insect that you are'.

Jack remembered that the Goa'uld force shield worked by reflecting the energy back from any projectile hitting it. Slow objects could penetrate the field. Jack drew his large hunting knife and moving elastically he grabbed Isis and pressed the knife to his neck.

`Call them off, I said' he hissed.

The Gou'ld snarled and struggled, but Jack O'Neill held him in a tight grip. He whispered coldly into the Gou'ld's ear.

`Call them off, now!'

Isis shouted, `Jaffa. Kree!'

`Good boy. Now tell them to put down their weapons'.

Isis looked at Jack with contempt.

`Kill them!' shouted Isis.

Jack pressed the knife home, dropped the body and ran.

The Jaffa immediately ran towards the body of the dying Goa'uld, picked it up and ran back to the gate. They dialled, letting off sporadic shots as they waited for the gate to open. When it did, they disappeared, carrying the body of Isis with them. Jack grabbed Minsky by the arm and pointed back to the dialling dais.

`Get dialling, Minsky. You know how?'

`Yes, sir', said Minsky and he ran.

Jack looked over his shoulder and ran towards the rocky outcrop where Carter had fallen. Teal'c was there before him, but he was stood looking puzzled.

`O'Neill, Major Carter has gone'.

`Gone! What do you mean? Gone where?' shouted Jack.

`I do not know' shouted Teal`c.

Jack O'Neill quickly scanned the immediate area, a concerned expression clouding his eyes.

`She can't be far.'

`I agree, O'Neill. She was caught full on the shoulder by the staff weapon' said Teal`c.

Teal'c crouched down and examined the ground around the rocks. He rubbed the soil between his fingers.

`Look here O'Neill'.

`Where?' asked Jack.

`Here and here. There's blood' said Teal'c

Jack bent down and examined the soil that Teal'c was pointing to. His concern changed to a worried frown.

`We need to find her quick'.

Teal'c pointed to long scuff marks and the rock strewn ground.

`Look. These marks, here and here. I believe that we have had visitors'.

At that moment the Stargate completed it's dialling sequence and Jack O'Neill opened communications with the SGC.

`General Hammond, we're not coming though right now'.

`Problems, Colonel?' asked General Hammond.

`Yes sir. We've had a visit from some old friends' said Jack.

`Who?' asked Hammond.

`Goa'uld. Big, ugly guy and a bunch of Jaffa'.

`Everyone ok?'

`No, sir. Carter was hit by a staff weapon in the shoulder, but more than that, we've lost her!'

`Explain yourself, Colonel!' demanded Hammond.

`It's like I said, General. There was a skirmish, Carter was hit, and after we had finished, she'd gone'

`Well damn well find her, Colonel'.

`Of course, sir' said Jack.

`And, Colonel, report back in twelve hours at the latest. Do you need a backup team?'

`No, sir'.

The connection was broken and Don Minsky jogged over to where Jack and Teal'c were standing.

`What's happened, Colonel?' asked Minsky.

`I don't know, Minsky. We have to find Carter. She needs treatment on that shoulder. Teal'c, ideas buddy?'

`This way, O'Neill. Look at the marks'said Teal`c, and pointed at slide marks in the dusty surface.

The three men followed the trail for several hundred yards until they came to a depression in the ground. At the base of the cliff wall, there was a narrow gash in the rock. The hollow was obviously formed from the base of an ancient waterfall and the trace of the river could still be seen coming down the cliff face.

`I believe that we have found our destination, O'Neill. Look at the tracks' said Teal`c.

`Hmm. I'll go in first, Minsky, second and Teal'c ....follow up behind. And watch your backs'

Colonel O'Neill drew a handgun and keeping his back to the rock face he slid into the crevasse followed by the other two. They entered a dark, dank tunnel, that tapered to a narrow roof. Jack O'Neill pulled off his dark glasses and tugged on the peak of his cap. The darkness made him nervous. The passageway curved off to the left and they edged along silently. As they rounded the curve, the corridor opened out into a large rock walled hall. Baskets hung around the walls at regular intervals, and they glowed with a warm, yellow light. In the centre of the hall a large fire blazed in a stone built, smoky fire place. The smoke drifted up and out of a small round chimney in the apex of the ceiling. Next to the fire was a finely carved stone settle. A rich, red rug was draped across the settle and on the rug lay Samantha Carter. Her jacket had been removed and a large, mossy poultice applied to her shoulder. The firelight reflected on Major Carter's pale face. Her eyes were closed and she breathed shallowly. Jack O'Neill surveyed the room.

`Minsky, Teal'c cover me' whispered Jack, and he edged across the room towards Sam. He gently shook her arm.

`Carter, Carter!' he whispered.

Sam's eyes fluttered but didn't open.

`Come on Carter. Wake up?' he whispered, waving his cap over her pale face.

A small, slight figure seemed to materialize out of the dark walls of the cavern. He was dressed in stone coloured clothing and his hair was thin and straggling. He had small features but unusually large, black eyes.

`She needs to sleep. Then she will be well'.

Jack spun round and pointed his gun at the stranger.

`And you are?'

The stranger replied, `We are the Hanish, and you are the Tau'ri, even him', pointing at Teal'c. `We know of you, or we would not have interfered. Although we are no friend of the Goa'uld we find it expedient to remain hidden.'

`What have you done to Major Carter' asked Jack poking at the poultice on her arm.

`She has lost some blood. We have treated her. The poultice will heal her wounds'.

Jack carefully studied the figure in front of him, and then, lowering his gun he signalled to Teal'c and Minsky to come over.

`So you live here. A bit dark' he muttered at the Hanish.

`No we come here only to take the Naquadaah. We travel through the Chappa'ai'.

`And the Goa'uld?'.

`We stay out of their way'.

`They come for the Naquadaah?'

`Yes. But they do not know how to take it'.

`How come?'

`Because the Naquadaah is so pure, it is very hard to mine. It becomes highly explosive'.

`Tricky' said Jack.

`Yes. But we have techniques that we have developed over many generations. When the Goa'uld try to take the Naquadaah, it bites them back!'.

`Nice!' muttered Jack.

`They have no subtlety' said the Hanish scornfully.

`You said it' replied Jack.

Sam started to murmur. Jack immediately turned to her, bent over and looked closely at her pale face. He touched her cheek softly with the palm of his hand.

`She feels warm' said Jack.

`She will be fine. You can take her home now' replied the Hanish.

`And what about Isis?' asked Jack.

`This Goa'uld is new.' said the Hanish, `We have not seen him before'.

Teal'c joined in with the conversation.

`Actually O'Neill, Isis is a female, in a male host'

`And Osiris?' asked Jack.

`Male ... in a female host' said Teal`c.

`Talk about gender problems!' said Jack, shaking his head

`I would guess that Isis wants the Naquadaah to take power, O'Neill' said Jack.

`Sounds about right to me' murmured Jack.

`Isis will return with reinforcements'.

`He, she, it didn't look too good last time I saw him'.

`The sarcophagus, O'Neill!'

`Oh yeah. Still, we have a few hours. Let's get Carter home first'.

`I concur' agreed Teal'c.

Jack bent down over Sam and touched her arm.

`Carter. Carter, you awake?'

Sam muttered as her eyelids fluttered. She took a deep breath and looked up at Jack, her eyes dilated with pain.

`Carter. You okay?' he asked quietly.

`Sure, sir,' she replied faintly.

Jack smiled to himself.

`Look, Carter.' said Jack, `We're going to get you out of here. Can you get your jacket on? Let me help.'

Minsky watched as Jack gently propped Sam up with one arm and put her jacket over her injured arm. He helped her stand, supporting her around her waist whilst her head rested on his shoulder. Minsky motioned to Teal'c.

`Teal'c. What's between the Colonel and Major Carter?'

`What do you mean, Minsky?' asked Teal'c.

`I'm good at relationship things Teal'c, believe me. I can tell'.

`I believe that such a thing would be against regulations, Yes?' asked Teal'c.

`Yes it would' replied Minsky.

`Then you are wrong, Minsky. Colonel O'Neill and the Major have been a team for many years. When you have been in a team so long, then you will understand'

`I'm wrong?' said Minsky doubtfully.

`Yes. Now let us help the Colonel with Major Carter'.

The three team members helped Samantha Carter back to the Stargate. Minsky dialled home while Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c supported her between them. The Hanish had come with them to the gate and Jack turned towards him before they left.

`We'll be back. I've a feeling Isis isn't going to stay away for long. You may need some help' said Jack.

SG1 stepped through the portal and back to the safety of the SGC. Dr Janet Fraiser was waiting for them with a gurney and two burley orderlies. They quickly loaded Sam onto the trolley as Dr Fraiser turned to the other members of SG1.

`You three down to the infirmary as well' she said shortly.

`We're going back' protested Jack.

`Not till I've checked you all out, you're not' said Janet Fraiser firmly.

Jack looked at the diminutive Doctor, but recognised the steely determination in her eyes. Obediently they all followed the trolley down to the Infirmary.

`Colonel O'Neill. What's this on Major Carter's shoulder?' she asked as she pulled on her Latex gloves.

Jack shrugged, `I don't know, Doctor. Some little guy we met put it on. I trusted him and he said it was ok. Tell me it is?'.

Dr Fraiser carefully picked at the poultice with forceps. She removed a small piece and putting it into a small bowl, she examined it closely.

`Mmm. Interesting. Obviously organic. Many of our modern medicines are based on these natural remedies.'

She gesticulated at a lab technician, waving the bowl at him

`Analyse this, Airman, quickly'.

She then swiftly checked out Teal'c and Minsky and finally turned to Colonel O'Neill.

`You two are fine. You can go now. Just you left, Colonel' she said.

`Doctor Fraiser, may we go and see Samantha Carter?' asked Teal'c.

`Of course, but don't wake her if she's still sleeping' said Janet Fraiser.

While she examined Jack, Teal'c and Minsky walked over and stood by Sam's bed. Jack watched with a faint smile as the Jaffa placed one huge hand gently on Sam's arm and she opened her eyes.

`Teal'c; and Captain Minsky. Good to see you guys' she said.

`It is good to see you Samantha Carter. Are you well? ' said Teal`c.

Sam glanced down at her shoulder and gave her team mates a rueful smile.

`Not going to look too good with all those ball gowns, eh, Teal'c'.

`What is a ball gown?' asked Teal'c with a frown.

`Oh you know, Teal'c. A fancy dress that you wear when you go dancing and that kind of stuff. Usually has no sleeves, just straps or whatever. Minsky, you explain to him'.

`And you wear many such dresses, Samantha Carter?' asked Teal'c, looking puzzled.

Sam laughed out loud.

`All the time, Teal'c'.

Teal'c looked puzzled for a while but then shrugged. Janet Fraiser finished Jack O'Neill's examination just as this exchange finished. She closed her notes and after a quick glimpse at Sam, she walked towards the infirmary door.

`I won't be long. Someone just keep an eye on the Major. If she falls asleep, you can leave her. I won't be long'.

`Ok, guys. Go get fed and I'll join you in a minute' said Jack dismissively.

Teal'c and Minsky left but Jack O'Neill wandered over to where Sam Carter lay on an infirmary bed. Her eyes flickered towards him as he came close.

`Hey, there. You okay, Carter?' he asked, rolling his sleeves back down and fastening the cuff.

`Ok, sir' she replied.

`Does it hurt?'

`I'll survive' she said.

She smiled at him and his mind strayed back to how many times they had been in this infirmary with one or the other of them injured. It worried him that one day their luck would run out.

The poultice had been removed from her wound, and her arm cleaned up, but it still looked rather messy. She looked at the tattered flesh.

`What did I hear you tell Teal'c?' he asked.

Sam giggled girlishly and her eyes sparkled.

`I told him that I'll have to stop wearing all those ball gowns. For a while anyway. What will my social life come to?'

Jack smiled and raised his hand as though to take hers, but then placed it back down on the bed.

`We're going back. I promised the little guy' he said simply.

`Which little guy?' asked Sam.

`The one who put that mossy thing on your arm. You won't remember him. You weren't concentrating at the time. Anyway we can't leave him to the mercy of Isis'.

`Be careful, sir' said Sam with a frown.

`We will'.

`Colonel, are you alright?' asked Sam.

`Sure, why?'

Sam looked up at Colonel O'Neill's blood stained jacket.

`What's all that?'

`Oh! Snake blood. I'll change' muttered Jack, looking down at himself with a grimace.

`Isis?' asked Sam

'Fraid so' smirked Jack.

`You're not going to be popular'.

`So what's new?'.

Jack looked around for a minute and then quickly squeezed Sam's hand and was rewarded with one of her dazzling smiles. He sat quietly on the chair by her bed until her eyes closed and her breathing slowed. His eyes never left her face and he took the opportunity to gaze at her with no one else around.

Janet Fraiser was hidden by a large filing cabinet in her office. She hadn't switched the light on as she had just popped in to pick up her bag. She watched him through the office window knowing that he couldn't see her. She had witnessed his frank admission to Anise, the Tok'ra woman when they had the Zay'tarc incident. He'd told them all that he would rather die than lose Sam, and that he cared for her far more than he ought. She had spoken to Sam about it afterwards and she knew that they had agreed to leave those feelings in that room, and as far as she knew they had stuck to their pledge. There was no doubt that they were very close, but their relationship had only strengthened the dynamics of the legendary SG1 team. Even now that they had a new team member.

As Janet Fraiser continued to watch she saw Jack O'Neill gently smooth Sam's hair from her forehead. After a quick glance at the door, he stood up and leaning over he said something to her that Janet Fraiser couldn't hear.

He turned from the bed and went quickly back to his quarters to change from his blood stained clothes. He restocked his ammunition and trotted back to the gate room via the commissary. Teal'c and Minsky had already left and were waiting by the Stargate. Teal'c was carrying a sandwich and a cup of coffee for him.

Back on P537, the Hanish was waiting.

`Welcome, friends, but please follow me quickly. The Goa'uld are here already'.

`What, Isis? So soon.'

`Not Isis, Osiris' said the Hanish.

`Oh dear. They had a lover's tiff?' sneered Jack.

`O'Neill, I suggest we depart the Stargate quickly' said Teal`c.

The three men and the Hanish quickly left the gate and jogged back towards the cavern entrance.

`We will be safe in here. The Goa'uld do not like such dark tunnels. They will avoid this place' said the Hanish.

`Must remind `em of the snake in `em' muttered Jack.

He glanced at Teal'c, remembering Junior, the Jaffa's symbiote.

`Sorry, Teal'c'

`No offence, O'Neill'.

Once inside the stone hall, they all sat around the blazing fire. The Hanish passed around a warm drink.

`This will fortify you'.

Jack sniffed at the cup and then took a sip. `Not bad. What is it?'

`Only herbs and spices. The secret is in the brewing' said the Hanish.

They sat and sipped at the steaming drink.

`Tell me, friend, what do you use the Naquadaah for?' asked Jack.

`Oh much the same as you, I would guess. To defend ourselves against the Goa'uld.'

`How did you find this planet?' asked Teal'c.

`We have been coming here for many generations, but legends tell us that the Asgard led us here'.

Jack perked up, `The Asgard?'

`Yes. They wanted to try and stop the Goa'uld incursions that were threatening this part of the galaxy. They wanted the planets to help fight back themselves'.

`They don't help us much' muttered Jack.

`Perhaps they do not think that you need help' said the Hanish.

They sat silently for a moment watching the fire until their reverie was interrupted by a rumbling explosion that echoed around the walls. Jack O'Neill instinctively reached for his gun.

`The Goa'uld are trying to mine some of the Naquadaah ore' said the Hanish.

`Let's go and watch the fun' said Jack.

The Hanish led Jack, Teal'c and Minsky out of the cavern and down another passageway that led to a small opening in the cliff face. Jack O'Neill looked at the narrow opening and then looked at Teal'c.

`It's gonna be a tight squeeze, Teal'c. You too Minsky'.

`We will manage, O'Neill. I think.' Said Teal'c with a frown.

Jack took Minsky's jacket and P90 and fed them out of the narrow opening. He also passed out Teal'c's staff weapon and Zat gun.

`Me first' said Jack, and he easily slid out of the narrow opening. Sometimes it was useful not to be built like a brick wall.

`Come on Minsky. You next.'

Minsky squeezed out with some effort, donned his jacket and rearmed.

`T, your turn, buddy'.

Teal'c breathed out as far as he could and wedged himself in the opening.

`Minsky, grab that arm and pull. I'll get the other one' called Jack.

Gradually Teal'c emerged from the opening. Once out he took a large gasp of air.

`That was close!' said Jack.

`Indeed O'Neill'.

The Hanish watched the performance with interest.

`I am sorry. We Hanish are not so.... Big. I did not realise' he said.

Jack looked at Teal'c's massive arms and chest.

`Well, we're not either. No problem!' said Jack wryly.

The Hanish led them down a sloping path to an area littered with mounds of fallen rock. Another explosion shook the ground. O'Neill and Teal'c hit the floor instinctively. Minsky copied them. The Hanish sneered and muttered beneath his breath.

`They are all fools. They will blow us all up before they manage to extract any of the Naquadaah.'

`Like the attitude!' muttered Jack.

`Follow me around that corner and we will witness their pitiful efforts' sneered the Hanish.

Quietly, they followed the Hanish. Around the bend they saw a number of Jaffa lying scattered on the floor and the dust was still rising following an explosion on the rock face.

`Osiris?' questioned Jack.

`You are correct, O'Neill' said Teal`c.

`You see him, her, whatever?' asked Jack.

`Over there, O'Neill' said Teal`c.

Jack looked in the direction that Teal'c was pointing with his staff weapon and immediately recognised the blond curls of Osiris. She stood to one side, surrounded by a full complement of Jaffa. She was looking with scorn at the dead Jaffa lying on the ground.

`Fools. You will get me the Naquadaah, or you will all die trying'.

`Nice!' muttered Jack.

Two of the Jaffa approached the rock face and lowering their staff weapons they fired at point blank range. Rocks cascaded down. As each piece hit the ground, small explosions sent dust flying everywhere, leaving nothing other than rubble. Osiris screamed in rage.

`Fools! Stupid fools'.

She turned away from the scene and headed for the Stargate, the remaining Jaffa trailing after her.

`What now?' asked Jack.

`We follow?' suggested Minsky.

`Good idea. Let's go kids'.

Crouching low, they followed at a safe distance. As they came close to the Stargate , they heard the chevrons clicking in.

`O'Neill. It's incoming!' called Teal'c.

`Oh Good! I've got a feeling that the fun's about to start'.

The event horizon solidified and Isis and four Jaffa strode through the portal. He stopped as he saw Osiris and her guard to one side and his guard raised their staff weapons in readiness.

`Osiris! What a pleasure to see you again after so long' said Isis.

`Isis, my queen. You surprise me.'

Jack shook his head in bewilderment and whispered to Teal'c, `This gender thing is confusing me!'

He turned back and watched the two Goa'uld. They stalked round each other in circles.

`You do not seem too surprised to see me after all this time?' hissed Isis.

`News of your return had reached me' replied Osiris.

`I made sure that it did' said Isis.

The two Gou'ld continued to circle each other warily.

`The Tau'ri have been here. They know of this place' said Isis.

Osiris narrowed her eyes and hissed.

Jack whispered, `It's the snake coming out again'.

`They plague me these Tau'ri' said Osiris.

`They are only men, and we are Gods. I will crush them for their insolence' said Isis dismissively.

`They may be only men, but they plague like a stinging insect. They annoy and they seem to have an uncanny ability to escape retribution '.

`Why do you not swat them like the insects that they are. Are you weak?' sneered Isis.

` I will succeed one day if it becomes important to me, but meanwhile I have other concerns' said Osiris.

`You are weak. How can you expect to become a great system lord if you cannot even deal with these Tau'ri' said Isis.

Osiris snarled.

`I hear that you did not enjoy your first meeting with O'Neill. He is the leader of these rebels' smirked Osiris.

`I was not prepared. It will not happen again. Let us make a partnership to destroy the Tau'ri once and for all' said Isis.

Jack turned to Minsky and Teal'c and signalled for them to circle around the two Goa'uld. They kept low to the ground and they spread out. The Hanish watched from behind a large rock. When they had surrounded the Gou'ld, O'Neill took a grenade from his pocket and pulled the pin. He signalled Minsky to do the same. Teal'c raised his staff weapon to cover then. They released the grenades and rolled them across the ground towards the pair.

Osiris looked at the grenades and screamed, `Osiris `Tau'ri'!!'

Isis punched the shield device attached to his gilded breastplate, just as the grenades exploded. A golden globe encircled the Gou'ld and reflected the force of the blast. Minsky ran around to their backs, but the Jaffa guard opened fire with Zat guns. Minsky took one shot and fell to the ground with an audible grunt. O'Neill ran out , grabbed him by the jacket and dragged him back undercover.

Osiris saw him and hissed `Colonel Jack O'Neill'.

Jack shouted out from his hiding place, `Fraid so. Get on your nerves, don't I ? Don't know why? Never could understand it.'

`And the traitor Jaffa', she said spotting Teal'c.

`Oh Yeah, him too' countered Jack.

`And Major Carter?'

`Sorry. Not today. Too busy. Doing something more important like washing her hair or something!'

Osiris pointed at Minsky, who still lay prostrate on the floor.

`And who is this?'

`You know me. Like to ring the changes! Anyway, I like your mate. Friendly chap. Bleeds a bit easily though' said Jack.

Meanwhile, while Jack and Osiris exchanged pleasantries, the Hanish had been emptying a small bag that he was carrying over his shoulder. Small pieces of pure Naquadaah glistened with a dull sheen as moved quietly among the rocks at the base of the cliffs. He pressed the pieces into any small orifice that he found until he had surrounded the party. He touched Teal'c on the shoulder and motioned him to move away. Teal'c pulled the now conscious Minsky to his feet and dragged him away. Osiris was looking at O'Neill with contempt as she raised her hand with the ribbon device towards him. Teal'c shouted a warning,

`O'Neill, here!'.

Colonel O'Neill rolled along the ground and jumped to his feet running. As he dived for cover, a small rumble set off on one side of them and travelled around the rock face in perfect sequence. As he watched the entire surface of the cliffs started to move in perfect unison. The whole rock face began to slide down directly towards the two Gou'ld. They both let out a blood curdling scream and Jaffa surrounded them making a wall of human flesh. Jack winced and turned away as flesh and bone crumbled beneath the tumbling rock.

`Damn them' he snarled.

The dust settled, leaving just the two Gou'ld surrounded by dead and dying Jaffa. They walked over the bodies and headed for the Stargate.

`Let `em go. My stomach's had enough for one day' muttered Jack.

`Together they will be formidable' said Teal`c.

`Well, put `em both on the hit list'

Jack turned to the diminutive Hanish and handed him a communication device

`Good try! I think that we'll leave the Naquadaah to you. If those two bug you, you know where we are. Send us a message. That device will identify you to us' said Jack.

`Thank you, my friend' said the Hanish.

Jack shook the Hanish's hand.

`Let's go home. You ok Minsky?' said Jack turning to the young man.

`Feeling a bit sore, sir!'

`You'll get used to it. Not!' said Jack rolling his eyes expressively.

`Yes, sir'

`You did good Minsky. Keep it up'.

`Thank you, sir'.

`Come on, then. There's a pizza somewhere with my name written all over it.'

Samantha Carter peeled herself out of the deep hot bath, wrapped a large towel round her and rubbed her hair. She looked in the mirror ruefully. Her shoulder was healing fast, but it would certainly scar. Dr Janet Fraiser had analysed the Poultice applied by the Hanish. It had proven to contain a wide spectrum antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and a pain suppressor. Dr. Fraiser had been impressed. She had proscribed a week's rest and so Sam had gone back to her neat little house for some peace and quiet. As she padded across the bedroom with bare feet, there was a knock at the door. Sam peered out a small side window and saw a familiar figure standing at the door. He was clutching a brown paper parcel tied with string. Sam smiled and opened the door.

`Come in, sir. Hurry up before I catch cold'.

`Oh ...Yeah' muttered Jack.

He came in and Sam shut the door. He stood in the hallway, shuffling his feet and still clutching the parcel, trying not to look at her bare shoulders.

`What's that?' asked Sam curiously.

`This?' said Jack.

`Yes?'

`Oh um, Teal'c sent it!'.

`Teal'c?'

`Yeah. He's been reading those magazines in the rec room again. He loves `em' said Jack, shaking his head.

`And?'

`Well. Apparently this is this year's must for the elegant woman!'

Sam grinned at her CO's obvious discomfort.

`It is?'

`According to Teal'c!' muttered Jack.

He shrugged his shoulders and handed the parcel to Sam still keeping his eyes away from her as she stood there with dripping hair.

`I can't wait' she said.

`Well, he's been worrying about your shoulder and how it would affect your look in all those ball gowns and party dresses'.

`Ball gowns!!!'

`Yeah, well..... Remember what you told him in the Infirmary', he said.

Sam grabbed Jack's hand and pulled him up the stairs. The closeness that the pair had built up over years allowed them a familiarity that would be considered unusual between any other pair of colleagues.

`Whoa. I'm used to taking women up to the bedroom. Not the other way round' grinned Jack.

`Just come upstairs and look' said Sam.

She continued to pull him along and into the bedroom, where she flung open the wardrobe door.

`There you are', and she waved her hand across the contents.

There were rows of neatly pressed shirts, jeans and jackets. There was one smart skirt suit and a summer dress

`Nice!, but I look better in dark colours' said Jack seriously.

`Sir!!' said Sam.

`Are you trying to tell me something, or did you drag me up here for other purposes?' sniggered Jack.

`Sir, much as I'd like to fulfil your fantasies, I brought you here to look in my wardrobe'.

`Shame. Fulfilling fantasies sounds better, but what am I supposed to be looking at exactly?'

`Not a huge selection of ball gowns!' said Sam.

Jack looked through the wardrobe. He peered right into the corner and reached in to pull out a hanger. It held a black velvet party dress hanging on slender satin straps.

`Ah ha. What's this?' he said triumphantly.

`Oh ok. One Christmas party dress. But that's all. Shall I dress up for you?'

`Shall I hold the towel?'

`Just turn your back!!'

Sam prodded him until he turned round and faced the wall.

`After all the times we've slept together on all those planets, she goes all shy.'

Jack turned round and Sam slipped out of the towel and into the short, black velvet dress. It was well fitting showing her slender figure to its best advantage.'

`Ok, you can look'. She fingered her scarred shoulder self-consciously.

Jack O'Neill studied her gravely. His eyes showing only some of the warmth that he felt.

`Open the parcel' he said

Sam fiddled with the string and finally managed to open the parcel. It contained a smart box, and when she opened it she pulled out a panne velvet stole from layers of bronze tissue paper. It shimmered in fading shades of copper and bronze. Her eyes misted over as she held it up.

`Wow. It's beautiful' said Sam.

`Come here and turn round' said Jack gruffly.

He stood very close behind her and taking care not to touch her injuries too much, he wrapped the stole around her and stayed behind her as she looked in the mirror, his hands resting softly on her shoulders. His eyes sparkled as he looked at her, a faint smile curling the corners of his mouth. He spoke quietly.

`See. Nice, huh?'

`I love it. Tell Teal'c thank you from me. He's so sweet!' replied Sam quietly.

`I will'

`He's wonderful, you know'

`Yeah. I do. Great guy'.

Jack touched her arm softly.

`Promise me you'll wear that at the Christmas party. It'll make Teal'c happy. Never mind the rest of the Major Carter fan club'.

`What are you talking about?' asked Sam, frowning.

`Oh, there's a few guys at the SGC who fall asleep thinking about you, you know'.

Sam laughed and shook her head.

`Of course I'll wear it. Anything to make you lot happy. Now unzip this dress for me. This arm makes it impossible'.

She turned her back to him again and he carefully removed the beautiful stole and then unzipped her dress.

`It's a good job I'm a trustworthy kind of guy' said Jack.

`Thanks, sir' said Sam

`I think I'd better go now' said Jack.

`Goodnight, sir. Remember to kiss Teal'c for me'

`Must I?' asked Jack, grimacing.

As Jack O'Neill left, a black van pulled away from the kerbside. Inside a man in a black suit packed away a long lens camera and pressed `STOP' on the digital recorder placed carefully on the seat next to him. As he drove way he dialled a number on his mobile phone and spoke into his hands free set.

`I'm coming back in, sir'
`Yes, sir, we've plenty'.
`Ok.. No problem, sir!'

THE END..... For now!

Part two to follow in `Emotional Blackmail'.

Feed me.........

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz