Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Mark II Part 6

by PZ
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mark II Part 6

Mark II Part 6

by pz

Summary: The final part of the story.
Category: Future Story, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/15/04

Mark II Part 5.

`Sam turned and headed out of the door, her face demonstrating her feeling of unease.

END OF PART 5.......................

`The kids look happy' said Colonel Jack O'Neill to his 2IC.

They were perched on a rock overlooking an idyllic beach that seemed to stretch on forever. Two tall lithe figures were running on the sand, each carrying a smaller bundle that was squealing with joy. The sun was low in the sky, the light pinkish as it reflected off the soft swell of an ocean.

`Janet says that the accelerated growth has halted completely now, for both them and the babies' said Sam, hugging her knees as she watched the happy scene.

`They look about a year old' said Jack thoughtfully.

`I wouldn't really know, sir' said Sam.

`Ah, no!'

`It's nice to have some extra family' said Sam.

`Yes. Yes it is' said Jack.

`Medrona was a good choice' murmured Sam, glancing around.

`I thought so' said Jack.

`Do you envy them, sir?' asked Sam after a minutes thought.

`They look happy' said Jack cryptically.

`They have their whole life ahead of them' said Sam dreamily.

`So have we' replied Jack.

Sam turned and looked at him in surprise.

`Well, maybe not quite as much as they have' muttered Jack.

`Would you like more children, sir?' asked Sam.

Jack pursed his lips in consideration of the question.

`Would you like any?' countered Jack.

`Well, I have these two now, as well as my brother's two' mumbled Sam.

`I meant children of your own?' asked Jack.

`I suppose so' said Sam sadly, 'It's just hard to see how with the job and all'.

`It'll happen if you want it enough' said Jack softly.

They sat quietly until the light faded to such a degree that Sam and Jon carrying their children, ran over towards them.

`Carter, O'Neill, it must be supper time' said Jon, grinning, 'You will eat with us?'

`Sure!' said Jack, looking at his 2IC for confirmation.

She nodded silently.

Sam fell in beside Carter as they walked back to the village, the two men followed some way behind.

`We have chosen names for the children' said Sam.

`Good!' smiled Carter

Sam looked down at the healthy looking baby, sleeping in her arms.

`He is to be called Samuel' she said, 'And she will be named Jacqueline'.

`Sam and Jacqi' said Carter with a laugh, 'Colonel O'Neill will be completely confused.'

`Isn't it funny, that's what I thought about Jon' said Sam, 'Major Carter, do you notice similarities between Jon and Colonel O'Neill?'

Sam nodded, 'Yes! More than Colonel O'Neill would probably care to admit.'

`You know I didn't like Jon at first' said Sam, 'No! That's not true. I was attracted to him, but he drove me mad. His behaviour. The way he does things. His attitude. I've always been kind of serious, straight, if you know what I mean, but he looks at everything in a different way. He sees the angles in things and it took me a while to realise that he is the most trustworthy, the most honest person I know.'

Carter bit her lip as Sam spoke.

`You feel the same about Colonel O'Neill, don't you?' asked Sam astutely.

Carter stopped walking, her face flushing in agitation.

`You don't understand, Sam. Colonel O'Neill is my commanding officer. Nothing could ever happen between us even if I, I mean he, I mean we wanted. It's forbidden in the regulations.'

`I don't think that Jon would let that stop him if he was in that situation' said Sam.

`Maybe that's where they're different' said Carter.

`Hmm' said Sam, shifting the weight of the baby from one hip to the other.

`She's tired out' said Jon, nodding towards the baby on his shoulder.

`Ah! Sounds like a good night's sleep' said Jack.

`You've had babies before haven't you?' asked Jon.

`Just one. I had a son, but he died' said Jack quietly.

`I knew that you had. I felt it' said Jon, `I feel a lot of things that you feel'.

`Oh!'

`I know how you feel about Major Carter' said Jon stubbornly, `but you won't admit it - to her or yourself.'

`She knows' said Jack shortly.

`Then why aren't you together?' asked Jon.

`You don't understand' said Jack.

`Try me!' said Jon.

`Do you know how much you're like me?' snapped Jack.

`Yes! Now don't change the subject! Why aren't you together' persisted Jon.

Jack stopped and stood facing the younger version of himself.

`Carter can go all the way. Her career is desperately important to her and there's no way that I'm gonna balls it up for her. Besides she deserves better than me, and one day that chance will come along for her' snarled Jack.

`Doesn't she deserve happiness?' asked Jon, looking towards the two women walking in front of them.

`It just isn't that easy' said Jack.

`I think that it is if it's the right thing to do' said Jon, rubbing the back of his daughter.

`Who defines what's right?' muttered Jack.

`I don't know, but I do know that it can't be wrong to love someone and care for them and make them happy' said Jon.

`You're right. You don't know anything, now if you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about this any more' snarled Jack, ramming his hands into his pockets and turning to follow the women back to the village.

Jack rubbed his hands and held them out towards the fire. Sam Carter leaned back against his shoulder and sighed contentedly.

`That was delicious' she murmured appreciatively.

`What?' said Jack inattentively.

`Fresh food. It was delicious' repeated Sam.

`Oh yeah'.

`Are you alright, sir?' asked Carter with a frown.

`And why shouldn't I be, Carter?' retorted Jack.

`You just seem a little distracted' said Sam.

`Just thinking' said Jack.

`Really!' smirked Sam.

Jack punched her playfully on the arm.

`Funny!' he said.

Silence descended around them like a comforting blanket as they sat in the dark, watching the flickering flames. Carter didn't feel the need to talk unnecessarily. She felt relaxed and comfortable.

`Jon was talking to me as we walked back tonight' said Jack suddenly.

`Mmm?' said Sam, her eyes closing softly as she leaned against Jack's shoulder.

`He asked me why we weren't together' said Jack softly.

Sam's eyes sprung open suddenly, but she remained still.

`Oh!' she muttered.

`So I told him' said Jack.

`And what did you say, sir?' asked Carter, swivelling to face him.

Jack looked uncomfortable.

`I said because you deserve better' said Jack.

Sam's eyebrow shot up.

`Is it your position to make that decision for me?' she asked sharply.

`No! No! Of course not!' said Jack quickly.

`You really are like him, you know' said Sam.

`And you're like her' said Jack.

`They seem happy together' said Sam softly.

`Yeah, they do' said Jack, shifting uncomfortably.

`Will you walk with me, sir?' asked Sam decisively.

`Sure' said Jack.

As they stood up and headed away from the fire, Jon nudged the young woman at his side and nodded towards them. Sam smiled broadly, and curled her hand around Jon's arm. He grinned and leaned in to kiss her softly on the lips.

Jack and Carter walked side by side in silence until they came to a small rise just in front of the beach. Sam flopped down on the soft grass and gazed out over the sea. Two moons had risen, giving a fairly bright silvery light. Jack sat down stiffly next to her. Sam stretched out on her side and rested her head on one hand as she looked up at Jack.

`It's becoming a familiar story' she said suddenly.

`What is?' asked Jack looking confused.

`You and me' said Sam boldly, `Alternate universes, clones'.

`Ah!' said Jack.

`Why do you think that is, sir?' pushed Sam.

Jack shrugged.

`Maybe it's a fait accompli' said Sam.

`Fait what?' asked Jack, trying to catch up.

`Fait accompli. A done deed. Something that's happened whether you like it or not. Something that's predestined' said Sam.

`Predestined?' said Jack faintly.

`Yes, sir, predestined, so why are we fighting it?' said Sam, feeling reckless.

Jack looked confused.

`Regulations' he muttered.

`From what I've heard, you haven't always been the model follower of regulations, so why this one?' persisted Sam.

`Because there isn't only me' said Jack, `You are the model officer and I don't want to smear your record'.

`I think that's up to me' said Sam, stretching before rising to her knees in front of him as he sat cross-legged on the grass, `Watching these two has made me realise what I'm missing, and I don't want to carry on in the same way, so if you don't mind, sir.........'

`Mind what, Carter?' asked Jack softly.

`I suggest we bend regulations a little' said Sam cheekily, leaning forward slowly.

Jack considered her a moment, his eyes glittering darkly. Without speaking he reached up one hand and stroked her cheek. Sam gasped and closed her eyes, resting her cheek on his hand. She felt his other hand slide around the back of her neck and pull her slowly towards him. He moved slowly. Slow enough to allow her to pull back if she wanted, but she melted into his hands until she felt his breath on her lips and she parted them slightly and held her breath in anticipation as she felt his lips join hers. She felt as though she were merged with him as they kissed, consciously for the first time.

`You're stupid, that's why' shouted the young girl, tossing her blond head in frustration.

`Am not' he shouted back, before slamming the tool down onto the wooden bench and stalking out of the room.

`Are you progressing?' asked the modulated tones of Thor from a large screen that formed one wall of the small room.

`I would be if O12 stopped bothering me' snapped C12.

`I do not see O12' said Thor.

`He just left. In a huff again!' said C12.

There was a momentary delay.

`Ah yes, I see him. He is playing hockey' said Thor.

`Of course he is' said C12 sarcastically.

`The Os do not develop in the same way as you Cs. Camaraderie and building leadership skills is important to their development' said Thor patiently.

`Hmph' said C12.

`C62 has made a break though in our studies of the Replicator power source' said Thor.

`Really?' asked C12, suddenly interested.

Thor tilted his head and watched as the blond head on the screen bent lower over her workbench. As he turned away he glanced over the several hundred screens that glowed softly in front of him. All of them showed a similar blond head in varied stages of a detailed in investigation. A similar bank of screens on the opposite wall showed teams of lanky young men and boys playing a form of street hockey with ferocious intensity. On one screen, a tall young man sat perched on a high stool, his chin resting on one hand. He was gazing at a blond young woman as she unconsciously stretched lithely. There was a distinct heat in his gaze and when she realised that he was watching her, she blushed prettily and swept her long blond hair backwards. Thor blinked as he watched them.

`It appears that we have another successful outcome' he said softly to himself, before turning away and leaving the two young lovers to their privacy.

THE END.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz