Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Gifts and Traditions

by Phantom Chic
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Gifts And Traditions

Gifts And Traditions

by Phantom Chic

TITLE: Gifts And Traditions
AUTHOR: Phantom Chic
EMAIL: phantmchic@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: S/J and D/J fluff, hopefully Humor
SPOILERS: general 4th season
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4th season
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: No summary given.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is my response to the Christmas challenges (elements at the end) on the Sam And Jack and Dan And Jan lists. Thanks to my fabulous beta Ann. I swear I'll finish those other fics I started eventually. All of my fics and reviews are at my site: www.geocities.com/phantmchic/index.html

It had seemed like such a good idea at the time. Jack couldn't figure out how it had gotten so complicated. The Secret Santa exchange was supposed to make things simple. After all, it meant he only had to brave the malls to buy one gift. Of course, the problem came in finding that one gift. Things would have been so much simpler if only he'd drawn Danny or Teal'c; even Hammond or Janet would have been easier. But no, he had to get Sam. As if things weren't complicated enough between them the last few months. How was he supposed to find a present that she would like that wouldn't give away too much of his feelings. He wanted to give her something meaningful, but he knew he had to be careful of the lines they had so carefully drawn. Lines she was bound and determined not to cross. That was how he found himself spending Christmas weekend going from store to store. He had exhausted the mall after the first day of searching for the perfect present. By Sunday he was visiting small specialty shops. As he neared the end of his second full day of shopping, he was just about to give up and buy her a gift certificate when he stumbled across a small jewelry boutique. He knew that they had imposed a money limit on the exchange, and that they were supposed to go for fun gifts, but he couldn't resist the urge to go in. The shopkeeper looked up and smiled as the bell alerted her to his entrance. He walked along the glass cases looking in at the rings and necklaces. He could just imagine Sam's reaction, not to mention General Hammond's, if he gave her a diamond ring. Finally he reached the last case and looked in to see a collection bracelets and necklaces with letters on them. A few spelled out names, but the ones that drew his eye were the gold bracelets with the letters "WWJD". He glanced around and saw the shopkeeper watching him. Pointing to the bracelets, he asked, "What are these WWJD bracelets supposed to say?"

She reached in and pulled out a beautiful 14 karat bracelet with WWJD spelled out by the links. "These mean What Would Jesus Do."

As Jack looked at the bracelet, fingering the delicate gold links, he suddenly got an idea for the perfect gift for Sam. "Can you make these personalized? Change the letters?"

She smiled at him, "Of course, I can make you one that says whatever you want. As long as it's not too many letters."

"I'd like a bracelet just like this only I'd like the letters to be WWMD," Jack said.

She took in his mischievous grin with a slightly puzzled smile. "No problem. I can do that for you right now and have it ready in about ten minutes."

"Do you gift wrap?"

Fifteen minutes later, Jack walked out of the store carrying a small box beautifully wrapped in shining red paper with a silver ribbon and bow. He had just gotten into his car and was about to drive home when he realized that he had been so obsessed with finding the perfect present for Sam that he had forgotten to buy Cassie's presents. "Doh!" With a sigh of resignation he started the car and headed back to the mall.

"As if we haven't had enough snow in the last few weeks," Sam muttered, as she looked out Janet's front window at the blowing snow outside.

"I know, Cassie hasn't had more than two consecutive days of school since the first of the month. At this rate she'll be going to school through the end of June. Of course, she was just happy that it gave her a few extra days of Christmas break." Janet joined Sam at the window and handed her a mug of hot cocoa. "But then that's why I made you come last night. So you couldn't use it as an excuse not to help us decorate."

"You know, it is possible to decorate before Christmas Eve, Janet." Sam smiled as she looked around at the festive results of two days of decorating.

"Maybe I would've had time if I were ever home long enough. But lately all of the teams seem to be trying to match SG-1's injury record. Besides, I can imagine how decorated your apartment is, you spend more time on base than I do," Janet challenged.

Sam quickly looked back out into the night. "Do you think they'll still come in this weather?"

"Fine, change the subject. Barring Apophis, I don't think anything would keep those four men from all the Christmas candy Cassie's made in the last few days. I don't think this house has ever held that much fudge at one time. Speaking of which, I think I hear it calling me." Janet turned away and headed towards the kitchen. Sam continued looking out the window for a few minutes until her self control dissolved and she followed Janet to the fudge.

When the doorbell rang a few minutes later, Cassie came flying down the stairs and ran into the kitchen. "They're here!"

"Well, why don't you go get the door, Cassie?" Janet suggested, smiling at her.

"I need to make sure the candy platters are ready," she replied, glancing between Sam and Janet. As Janet turned to leave the room, Cassie stopped her quickly. "No, Mom, I need your help here. Let Sam get it."

"All right." Sam left to get the door.

As soon as she was gone, Janet turned to her daughter. "What was that? You've had the candy plates done for hours."

"I was watching out my window when the car drove up. It's Jack." Cassie grinned impishly.

Janet shook her head in amusement. "Playing matchmaker?"

"What better time than Christmas?"

Never known for his patience, Jack was just about to ring the bell again when the door opened. He stepped in out of the cold before he even noticed who had opened the door. Once the wind was firmly shut out he turned, his head down slightly, expecting to see Cassie. Instead he found himself staring at a woman's chest. He looked up quickly and saw that it was Sam. "Um, Merry Christmas, Sam," he managed to get out. After a minute, he was able to take in her appearance. He stared in awe at her curve- hugging red velvet floor length slip dress. "Wow, you look...incredible."

"Thank you, Sir," Sam said, blushing, "Cassie helped me pick out the dress."

"No 'Sirs' tonight, Sam, it's Christmas," Jack said.

"So, do you want to put your presents under the tree?" Sam asked, quickly changing the subject.

Jack smiled and followed her to the tree, adding his gifts to the pile underneath. "So Cassie picked out your dress? I think I'm going to be very worried when she starts dating."

"Well, with all her aunts and uncles I think her dates are going to have to be very careful. Or very brave," Sam replied. Jack removed his coat and she looked away in an attempt to keep from going nonverbal at the sight of Jack in a tight pair of blue jeans and a black turtleneck.

"Both." Jack grinned as he looked up at the tree. "Why isn't there a topper on the tree?"

"I don't know. Janet said was taken care of." Sam shrugged. The doorbell rang again and Sam turned to call to the two women she knew would be eavesdropping from the kitchen. "Janet, Cassie, you can come in now." The two walked in carrying large plates of fudge, which they set on the coffee table. Sam and Jack looked at their mildly guilty expressions with amusement before Cassie went to answer the door.

Teal'c and General Hammond walked in as Cassie closed the door behind them. Glancing over, Sam, Jack, and Janet had to struggle to keep from laughing at the sight of Teal'c wearing a large Santa hat. Teal'c glanced down at Cassie as she took their coats. "I am instructed to tell you 'Ho, ho, ho', Cassandra." Cassie giggled as they joined the rest of the group.

"Next time, Son, you can drive Teal'c from the base," Hammond told Jack as he picked up a large piece of fudge. "I don't know who taught him Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, but he's been singing it over and over for the last half an hour."

When the doorbell rang a third time it was Janet who jumped up. "I'll get it," she said, smoothing her dress as Cassie rolled her eyes. Like Sam's, Janet's dress was ankle length and velvet, but hers was blue with an imperial waistline. She smiled as she opened the door to see Daniel laden down not only with gifts but with several bags. She took the bags from him as she closed the door. "Merry Christmas," she whispered, giving him a light kiss.

"Merry Christmas." Daniel put his presents down under the tree and walked over to where Janet had set down the bags. Reaching into one, he pulled out a box.

"Is that it?" Janet's eyes shone as she tried to take the box.

Daniel held it away from her, playfully. "Maybe."

Cassie rolled her eyes, smiling, at the other adults watching the scene. "Can you believe I have to put up with this?"

"We'll behave," Daniel said, not remotely sorry. He opened the box and pulled out a beautiful star made from cut crystal. "Come here Cass, you can help me put this up."

Cassie ran over and gently picked up the star. "It's beautiful."

"I got it on one of our last missions. P5Z-783 has some amazing crystal sculptors." Daniel reached down and picked Cassie up.

The others watched in surprise as Daniel lifted the 14 year-old over his head. "Do you wish assistance, DanielJackson?" Teal'c asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Thanks, Teal'c, but I've got her," Daniel replied, his attention on Cassie as she placed the star on top of the tree. He set her down and reached out to take Janet's hand, entwining their fingers. "What do you think?" he asked, softly.

"Perfect." Daniel leaned over and kissed her. Janet smiled and gently pulled him over to one of the couches to join the rest of the group. "Here, try some of Cassie's fudge."

They all sat and talked, enjoying all the chocolate. Before long Jack started casting glances at the pile of presents under the tree. Sam was the first to notice, as she had been casting her own glances at him. "Si...Jack, you're worse than Cassie. If you want to open presents, why don't you say so." Sam was laughing as she spoke. When the others looked at them and saw the guilty look on Jack's face, they started laughing too.

"Mom?" Cassie looked at Janet, eagerly.

"All right, Cass, you can start passing out the presents." Janet shook her head as Cassie and Jack's faces took identical expressions of excitement. Cassie passed out the presents in record time. It might have taken longer if more than half the presents hadn't been for her. Finally all of the adults held their single gift. "Why don't you open one of yours first."

Cassie didn't need to be told twice, she quickly grabbed the gold wrapped box from Sam. "Oh, wow! The new N'Sync Box Set! Thanks, Sam!" Cassie threw her arms around Sam.

"You're welcome. You just have to promise not to make us listen to it." Sam smiled at her, lovingly. "Now you pick who opens theirs next."

Cassie looked around and, seeing Jack's puppy dog eyes, told him to open his present. He looked at the tag. "From George." He peeled back the wrapping paper revealing a box containing a remote control airplane. "Thank you, General," he said, looking like a kid at, well, Christmas.

"Hopefully, this will keep you from crashing anymore UAVs." George said with a smile, before turning to see Cassie open another gift.

"Ooh, Teal'c, the Buffy first season videos. Thank you!" she smiled as Janet took her picture.

"You must allow me to watch them with you, Cassandra," Teal'c replied.

"I wouldn't dream of watching them without you. Your turn, Uncle George." Cassie announced.

General Hammond unwrapped his present and stared in shock at a collection of lavender scented candles. "Teal'c?"

"I have observed your stress levels when SG-1 returns from missions, GeneralHammond. The woman at the store informed me that these candles are relaxing." Teal'c said, looking around as everyone burst out laughing.

Cassie wiped away tears as she opened Jack's present. "Wow, the Buffy script books and the Sunnydale Yearbook. Thanks, Jack."

"Figured they'd go with Teal'c's videos," Jack grinned. "Your turn, Teal'c."

Teal'c picked up the long wrapped tube that was his gift from Janet and unwrapped it very carefully. Finally, he pulled out two rolled posters, one of the cast of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the other a movie poster of The Wizard of Oz. "I thank you, DoctorFraiser."

Cassie opened another present, this one from 'Uncle George', to reveal the second season of Buffy videos, before looking to her mother to open a gift. Janet picked up her own gift from Daniel and opened it. She laughed when she pulled out a teddy bear dressed in an air force uniform, wearing a stethoscope and holding a large pincushion. She leaned over to give him a thank you kiss, as he whispered, "Look closer."

Examining the bear, Janet saw a diamond ring around the single pin stuck in the cushion. "Oh, Daniel!"

"Is that a yes?" he asked, smiling.

"Of course it is." Janet kissed Daniel deeply as Sam and Jack watched, envying their ability to display affection openly. Cassie jumped up and threw her arms around both of them.

"Come on, *Dad*, open your present," Cassie said, handing him his gift.

Even with Janet sitting on his lap, Daniel managed to open his present from Sam and held up a T-shirt. On it was a picture of Curious George wearing an astronaut's suit. Under the picture were the words 'The Original Space Monkey.' He laughed, "you have been spending way too much time with Jack."

Instead of opening another of her presents, Cassie passed out identically sized boxes to Sam, Jack, Teal'c, and Daniel, a larger box to Janet, and a thinner, longer box to George. "Now you all have to open your presents from me," she insisted, "all together." Obediently, they all opened the boxes. Sam, Jack, and Teal'c found framed pictures of all four members of SG-1 laughing together in casual clothes. Daniel pulled out a hinged double frame. On one side was the same picture and on the other was a picture of Daniel, Janet and Cassandra. Janet held a larger framed version of the latter picture.

"Where did these pictures come from, Cass?" Daniel asked, grinning at her.

"They're from my birthday party last month. They were too cute not to share," Cassie said, proudly. After thanking her they all looked over to see Hammond staring at the contents of his box. He pulled out what appeared to be a dagger. "It's a letter opener," Cassie explained, when everyone looked at her questioningly.

"Might come in handy in soliciting reports, too," George said, looking pointedly at Jack.

"Uh, why don't you open your present, Sam," Jack said, quickly.

Sam carefully unwrapped the package and pulled out the jewelry box. With a quizzical glance at Jack, she opened it and picked up the delicate gold bracelet. "It's lovely," she gasped, then looked at it closer, "WWMD?"

Jack grinned as he took it from her hands and hooked it around her outstretched wrist. "What Would MacGyver Do, Sam." He looked into her eyes and had to stop himself from leaning over to kiss her. She laughed as they all turned to watch Cassie open the rest of her gifts from Daniel and Janet. Half an hour, a pound of fudge, a silver scooter, several computer programs, and the final set of Buffy videos later, they were all sitting around laughing and relating mission anecdotes.

"...and then they all started singing 'Row, row, row your boat," Janet laughed, snuggling into Daniel's shoulder as Cassie dissolved into giggles on the floor. "And that's when I discovered why we never sing Christmas carols at these parties."

"Aah, come on, Doc, we weren't that bad," Jack whined.

"Don't quit your day job, Jack," Janet quipped back. She glanced over towards the door. "Did you hear that?" They all stood up and made their way to the door. When they opened it they saw an amazing sight. Standing on the front lawn were several SG teams holding singing, "The Little Drummer Boy." Cassie and Teal'c slipped away from the back of the group as they stood watching in shock.

"Why is SG-12 playing drums?" Daniel asked.

"Probably for the same reason SG-11 is playing pipes," Sam replied.

"What are they doing here?" Janet asked.

"They lost a bet," Jack replied. The group in the doorway stared at him. "They said we couldn't go three consecutive missions without one of us coming back injured. They were so cocky that I decided to teach them a lesson."

"Is that why the last three planets you requested SG-1 visit were uninhabited?" Hammond asked.

"Hey, it got us entertainment, didn't it?" Jack shrugged.

They stood there for nearly fifteen minutes watching the SG-12 drummers drumming, the SG-11 pipers piping, and several other teams singing a variety of Christmas carols until after Cassie and Teal'c had rejoined the group unnoticed. Finally Feretti called out, "Okay, O'Neill, we're even." Their audience laughed and Cassie called them up to the door to reward them with fudge. After their carolers had left, they turned to go back inside. Cassie held Sam and Jack back with her, thanking them again for her gifts. Once George, Teal'c, Janet, and Daniel had returned to their seats to get more candy, Cassie turned to Sam and Jack and said, "Look up." As she went to join the others on the couches, they stared up to find the ceiling above them and all the way back to the couches covered in mistletoe.

"When did she...how did she..." Sam stared up at the green covered ceiling in shock. Jack looked down at the bags Daniel had brought, now sitting empty beside the door.

"Well, it is tradition," Jack whispered, smiling down at Sam with a twinkle in his eye. Sam glanced over to make sure no one was watching them, when she looked back him the look in her eyes matched his. A simple Christmas kiss quickly became much deeper.

On the couch, Daniel turned and saw his best friend and surrogate sister involved in a deep kiss. With a sigh he nudged Janet, "Here we go again."

She followed his gaze, "Every year." Surreptitiously she tapped Teal'c. "Teal'c, it's your year to distract the General." Teal'c nodded and sat back to monitor the situation.

As they whispered, George leaned over to Cassie. "Are they at it again?"

"Well, it is tradition."

Fin

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Phantom Chic