Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Infirmary After A Battlefield

by Jean
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Infirmary After A Battlefield

The Infirmary After A Battlefield

by Jean

Summary: A caring professional.
Category: Angst
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/20/05

The Battlefield Series Part Four
The Infirmary After A Battlefield
--------------------------------------
Doctor Janet Frazier was nothing if not exhausted. She was dead on her feet. It had been nineteen hours since since the infirmary had been alerted to the incoming wounded from the battle. In that nineteen hours, she had had to tend to the medical needs of far, far too many of her colleagues and friends. She had, for more than half of that time, been working whilst aware that the best of those friends was missing in the field. When Sam had finally been located, to the surprise of absolutely nobody by Jack O'Neill, she had somehow managed to arrange sufficient staffing to be part of the team that had brought her home. And to top it all off, she had learnt of her reputation as a tyrant. A French tyrant. A French tyrant with a funny hat!
She blows gently on the surface of her hot coffee and fails to rein in the smile that threatens to overtake her weariness as she remembers her first view of a certain officer, caught in the beam of the flashlight, after Sam's unintentional revelation about her best friend's nickname. His hands clenched by his shoulders, his face screwed up in utter horror. Damn, but he had looked like a six year old kid who had just been discovered with his hand in the cookie jar, five minutes before dinner!
She cannot help it. What begins as giggling soon becomes an uncontrollable stream of hysterical laughter. But the emotional and physical strain of the past day has been too much. And the laughter is soon joined by tears. Janet Frazier, for all of her competency and strength, is not beyond despairing at the sacrifices made by these extraordinary people almost routinely, yet without wider recognition. These extraordinary people who are, to her, like family. She does not know if she could make the sacrifices demanded from these amazing people. She hopes to God that she will never have to find out.
After a few minutes, she finds herself sitting in her chair, still nursing what little of her coffee remains in her cup, softly weeping. No sobs anymore, just occasional tears tracking down her cheeks in silence. She wished she could say that challenging days like these were far too few. But she would be wrong.
It is like this that he finds her.
----------------------------------------
All thoughts of obtaining updates on the progress of his officers flies out of his mind when he sees the state his CMO is in. Looking at the clock, he realises that she probably hasn't had any rest for more than a day. He is all too aware of her dedication, all too aware of her almost superhuman will to keep on going for abnormal, even unhealthy amounts of time when the situation demands it. He raises his hand and knocks on the open door.
Startled, she looks up and immediately uses her free arm to hastily wipe away any evidence of tears from her face, whilst placing her cup on the table. "Sir, I'm sorry. I have the reports you asked for right here, I..."
He shakes his head. "It's alright, Doctor. When was the last time you took a break? You look tired." His soft tone is comforting, almost fatherly.
She smiles, a little wryly. "Oh, you know, General...sometime yesterday."
He smiles back. "I thought as much. I had heard that people in your profession were well aware of the medical need for rest, Doctor. Hell, even I know it and I'm not qualified enough to use a Band-Aid."
She fails to respond to his small attempt at humour and he starts getting worried as her voice hitches a little and she launches into the hurried beginnings of what he suspects will be a long to-do list. "I understand, General, but there are several important test results I'm waiting for, I need to monitor Captain Moore closely for possible repercussions from his fractured ribs, Colonel Lawson needs special care for his burns until we can transfer him to the Academ.."
He cuts her off with a wave mid-stream. "I don't want to have to order you to your bed, Doctor Frazier," he stated gently. "Not after all of your fine efforts today. Doctor Warner has the infirmary covered for now. I think it would be wise if you chose to get some rest. If you are needed, you will be called."
He watched as the formidable little woman's shoulders slumped. "You're right, Sir. I'll get some rest. But if I may, I'd just like to check up on them before I go..."
General Hammond understood exactly what she meant. "Of course, Doctor. If it will reassure you, then feel free to have a quick look around before you leave."
She smiled warmly then. "Thank you, Sir. If you want to you can come with me, so I can update you on my patients as we go."
He had to admire the professionalism of this young woman. "Of course, Doctor Frazier. Please lead the way."
-------------------------------------
They make their way quietly and efficiently through the infirmary, with Doctor Frazier informing him concisely of the exact condition of each patient. A couple of his officers are awake and he spends a few minutes with each of them. He has always been firm in his belief that the full support of commanding officers should be given to subordinates in times of physical or emotional injury. It only serves to strengthen military relationships in the long run.
It had been particularly distressing to see Colonel Lawson, who was suffering burns to much of his upper body. Of all injuries, General Hammond knew that burns were not only extremely painful, but left the patient at high risk of infection. The man had a young family and although he knew that the best of all available care would be given to him, he feared for the Colonel's future well being.
They arrived outside the cubicle of one Jack O'Neill. Apparently a staff blast had clipped his shoulder during the battle. Not that he had bothered to mention that, of course. Not until all of his team had been returned to the safety of the SGC. General George Hammond is more than happy to admit that he is one hell of a stubborn man, and a fine officer to boot. A fine officer who is not in his bed, that is.
The General watches, with some amusement, as Doctor Frazier rolls her eyes in disbelief. "Damn that man!" She looks a little abashed. "Sorry, Sir."
He grins. "That's alright, Doctor. As I understand it, Colonel O'Neill has never been the most patient of patients."
"You aren't wrong, General. But it's OK. I think I can guess where he is."
He follows in her wake as the good doctor marches to the other end of the infirmary. She looks behind a curtain and huffs. "Just as I thought." She looks back. "Major Carter, Sir." He looks past Doctor Frazier and sees Samantha Carter settled comfortably in a bed, and a certain Colonel slumped uncomfortably in a small armchair. Both are sleeping. In fact, they are both lightly snoring. "Will they both fully recover, Doctor?"
"Yes, Sir. Although Colonel O'Neill will have one hell of a crick in his neck by morning."
George Hammond is a bit shocked. "Shouldn't you try to wake him, to move him back to his own bed?"
Doctor Janet Frazier looks absolutely horrified at the mere thought. "No, General. You see, while he is sleeping, he isn't complaining. And his condition really isn't that serious. In all honesty, Sir, I let him stay because we had the one spare bed and, if I hadn't, he would have been found trying to creep through the infirmary at four o'clock in the morning to see if the Major is OK. It really scares the nurses!"
The General laughs softly. Doctor Frazier smiles warmly and continues. "And believe me, Sir. The complaining! On and on...you'd think, given his history, that he'd be a little more stoic...but nooooo. It's enough to turn my hair white!"
General Hammond turns to leave. "Well, Doctor, at least you have some hair to change. Thank you for the information. Are you feeling better now about getting some rest?"
Janet Frazier nods and starts to move quietly towards the exit herself. "Yes, General. And thank you for the suggestion."
"Sleep well, Doctor Frazier."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jean