Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Naidera

by Olivia Adams Smith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Naidera

Naidera

by Olivia Adams Smith

Summary: Jack never expected anything like thishe falls in love with a Zandanian princess.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/18/03

Kellie Reynolds awoke from what seemed like days of sleep. She didn't like the idea of being sedated, but at least it eased the pain. She lay on the bed in her room at the SGC base, staring at the wall, and that's all she did when she was awake. Kellie blinked when hearing two knocks on the door.

"Kellie? It's me, Sam."

Kellie didn't turn to greet her.
She had no choice but to see Sam walk around to where she lay and sit beside her.

"Kellie, I'm very concerned. We all are. You haven't been eating much and you're losing weight. I feel so bad about what happened. I thought...."

"You thought Jack would save him," Kellie said bitterly.

"Jack did the best he could. We all did. I was going to say, I thought the mission would be a success, then there are times things don't work out like we hoped they would. We thought there was a chance Kawalsky could be saved. We feel bad for them both, and we understand what you're going through. But you can't give up. Jack felt the same way when his son--,"

"I know. He told me."

"Kellie. Hammond knows about your interests in Astronomy. He also knows you always wanted to be an astronaut. He's considering a job for you when you get better."

Kellie said groggily, "What kind of job?"

"Working with one of the teams here. Hopefully it will be ours."

"Now why would I wanna do that?"

"Because it's what you love to do."

"What I love is gone."

"Kellie, I think Scott would want you to move on with your life. I know it's very painful right now, but he wouldn't want you to do this. You're killing yourself, don't you see that?"

Kellie ignored her and continued to stare at the wall.

"All right. I'll leave. Think about what I said, okay?"

Sam left. Kellie tried to fight it, but gave in. She threw her hands against her face and cried.

At his home, Jack opened the refrigerator. Craving the last of his beer he drank earlier, Jack twisted off the cap and gulped the rest. He hurled the bottle into the garbage can and decided to retire for the night. He tossed in his sleep.
A woman, he remembered her, like an African princess.

She smiled, beckoning him to come closer. She said softly, "Jack, don't be afraid. Come. Come..."

Jack sprang from the pillow.

Where am I?

Then he recognized his home and the woman was a dream. Or was she?

In the morning, Jack strolled down the SGC corridors and on his way to control unit. Approaching an intersection, he met Daniel.

"Jack," Daniel said excitedly. "We found another world."

Jack turned the corner, walking beside Daniel. Unenthusiastic, he replied, "Great."

Daniel noticed Jack looked tired. "Are you okay? Did you get enough sleep?"

"I have a mother, thank you."

"Jack, I'm just concerned."

Jack sighed. "No, I didn't get enough sleep. I had these dreams."

"What kind of dreams?"

"A woman. I've seen her before. Remember our mission to rescue Scott and Kawalsky from that planet? The snakes caught us but then these women from a place called Zanda helped us."

"Yes, I remember them."

"Well, whom I presume is the leader of these women, called me in my dream last night."

"What did she say?"

"She said, don't be afraid. And it seemed like she wanted me to come to her."

Daniel halted. "Jack, that was no ordinary dream. It sounds like an invitation, possibly to her world."

Daniel felt good to see Jack ponder what he said. He hated the times when he had an idea or objected something, Jack would brush him off, and so it surprised him as he followed Jack up the stairs to the control room. They joined Sam and Hammond.

"Sir," Jack said to Hammond. "I hear another world has been located."

"It's in the Alpha Centauri system."

Daniel mused, "I wonder if it could be Zanda by any chance."

"What?" Hammond replied.

"Zanda," Jack said. "During our last mission, the Goa'ulds outnumbered us, but then these women appeared. They were able to defeat them and said they were from a planet called, Zanda."

"And you think this may the planet?"

"Yes. It seems I've gotten an invitation."

"When you meet them on PX9-368?"

"No." He paused. "In a dream."

Sam asked, "Sir, I didn't know you believed in that kind of stuff?"

"I don't, but Daniel believes they contacted me in my sleep."

"It's possible," Daniel conjectured. "They obviously have the ability to defeat the Goa'ulds, and that day, I felt they connected with Jack. I don't think we should be rude to their invitation."

They looked at Jack.

"I don't have a problem with it."

"Okay," Hammond said, "It's a go."

Blue light and brilliant stars swirled around them. They reached the end of the wormhole and stepped out on the surface of planet Zanda.

Sam's eyes widened at what she saw. The sky, shades of lavender and lilac. Hazy clouds drifted past Alpha Centauri, the Zandanian sun. In the distance, four monolith moons suspended themselves over an African-like village. Daniel stood by, speechless at the beauty of Zanda.

Jack, walking with Teal'c, looked back at Sam and Daniel. He smiled. "Let's go, kids."

Suddenly, three pink lights glowed in front of them. They morphed into the familiar women back on PX9-368 Jack remembered the woman standing in the middle, the one in his dream. Elegantly dressed in a bronze halter dress, she stepped forward and bowed.

"Jack," she said softly and gazed at the others. Her eyes narrowed irately at Teal'c. "You have a Jaffa with you? I remember him."

Defensive about his friend, Jack answered, "His name is Teal'c. He's not on their side anymore."

She sensed, by the tone of Jack's voice, Teal'c was loyal to the team. "I believe you speak the truth. You are all welcome here."

He replied, "Thank you for the invitation--in my sleep."

"It was the only way I could contact you."

"Who are you?"

"I am Queen Tyi'ra. These are two of my daughters, Awande and Kiwa."

The women bowed.

"You will meet my other daughter inside the city."

"Your world is so beautiful!" Sam cheered.

Tyi'ra smiled. "I am pleased you like it here. Come, I will show you the city."

The team followed Tyi'ra and her daughters into the busy city. Each village made out of what looked like adobe bricks, glittered in the sunlight. When they finished their tour through the city, the team was escorted into a castle.

Daniel asked, "What's this place?"

Tyi'ra answered, "My home."

"Oh, I'm sorry. You mentioned you're a Queen. Is it the custom here to call you your highness?"

Tee'ra smiled. "I am called only the Queen, but you can call me your highness. I like that."

"There's so much I want to--," Daniel hesitated, distracted by three giggling children running down the hall. He went on, "know about your culture."

"Yes," Tyi'ra said, guiding them into a private room. "That's why I invited you here. I know you have many questions." She sat on a quilted gold and burgundy chair. "Sit."

The team sat on burgundy pillows that formed a semi-circle in front of Tyi'ra.

Sam looked up, noticing a silk canopy stretching above them and admired the warm, cozy ambiance of the room. "How long have you and your people lived here?"

"Our history goes back one-hundred years. We discovered that our ancestors were brought here from a place on your world called, Africa."

"Wait," Jack interrupted. "Are you talking about the Goa'ulds?

"Yes. At first we believed them to be a God, but we were told they're not Gods."

Daniel asked, "Who told you this?"

"These people were from another place. They knew we were in danger and rescued us."

"One of the Goa'ulds enemies?"

"Yes. The Zandanians. Before they arrived, this was a world with no name. But then we named it Zanda, in gratitude for what they've done. They didn't look human. They were light, not flesh."

Sam said, "You mean a life form of energy?"

"Yes. My ancestors welcomed them to stay here. It's been said that when one of the male villagers died, one of the Zandanians duplicated him. Then as we became closer to them, that's when the unions began."

"The unions? You mean you had relations with these life forms?"

Tyi'ra nodded.

Sam continued, "And that's how you became what you are now?"

"Yes."

"Incredible!"

Daniel asked, "Your highness, you govern this city by yourself?"

"I had a husband. He lived a very long time. Unfortunately, when someone dies, we can't bring that person back to life. Those we unioned with, they have given us their knowledge and gifts. One of them is healing, but not immortality."

Sam whispered to Daniel, "This is amazing. We're among people who, once human, evolved into an entirely new race!"

"Excuse me," Jack said. "Your highness, we noticed what you're able to do. We're very interested in how you can defeat the Goa'ulds.

"With our minds. What we think becomes a weapon against them. Remember the first time you saw us. That shield between you and the Goa'ulds, all we had to do is think. Whatever we create, it can do whatever it wants us to do. Jack, I also invited you here because we have something in common, our enemies are the Goa'ulds. We are willing to protect you."

Taken aback, Daniel said, "You'll do this for us?"

Surprised he doubted, Tyi'ra said, "Yes. Daniel, I sense you're reluctant to accept our help."

"Forgive me your highness. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. It's just, well, others whom we've met on other worlds haven't been so willing to help...."

"Uh, your highness," Jack blurted, cutting Daniel off. "Thank you. We accept your gracious offer."

Annoyed at Jack brushing him off again, he raised his eyebrows. "Jack?"

Clenching his teeth, Jack said irritably, "Daniel?"

The team looked up when a woman, escorted by a guard entered the room.

"Mother," she said softly.

Excited, Tyi'ra took her daughter's hand and guided her in front of the team. "I would like you all to meet my other daughter, Princess Naidera." They rose from the pillows.

Jack noticed her overwhelming beauty. He felt guilty because of his feelings for Sam. Can't be together. Military rules. Secrets. Frustrated about the whole thing. Now it seemed Naidera was reeling him in, and fast.

She smiled shyly at everyone, but her smile and almond-shaped brown eyes lingered on Jack. Naidera's curly hair was pushed away from her petite face with a long gold cuff, and flowing from it was a ponytail. Against her mahogany skin was a metallic gold halter raining a mesh of diamonds down to her navel. Her skirt, also metallic, hugged her hips and flowed to the bottom. Naidera walked up to them, greeting each one. "It is an honor to have you here in our city." She hesitated at Jack, smiling coyly. "Not many friendly travelers come through the gate."

Jack cleared his throat. "Thank you for the--compliments--princess."

He had a feeling he was being watched, and when Jack turned, he saw his team staring at him. Jack lifted his brows and shrugged.

Naidera returned to her mother.

Tyi'ra said warmly, "My guards will take you to your rooms. I also want you to be ready for the banquet I'm preparing for this night."

Daniel bowed. "Thank you, your highness."

The team attended the banquet along with the royal family. Sitting on pillows again, they were enthralled by the Zandanians. Flutes and drums were the entertainment, reminiscent of what one would hear in an African village. When a platter was served to each person, they stared at what looked like grapes. Daniel was the first to try one, and then the others ate. When everyone finished their meal, Jack watched Daniel chatting with Tyi'ra about his usual curiosities of culture. Something else caught his attention-Naidera. He saw her peeking timidly at him from behind a wall.

She saw Jack had noticed and disappeared.

"Excuse me," he said to the team."

Sam looked up, wondering where he was going.

Jack strolled through a long arch-shaped hall and down pink marble steps that led to a garden. He saw her standing on a hill under a trellis adorned with purple vines.

"Colonel O'Neill," she said, keeping her back toward him. "I knew you would come here."

Jack clambered up a few steps. He stood beside her and said, "You can call me, Jack."

"Then, there's no need to call me princess." She glanced at him, smiling.

Jack gazed down at the city.
His eyes wandered to the dazzling array of stars and the four moons, a pale yellow of reflected light from Alpha Centauri.

"The sky," Jack said, "It's beautiful."

"Yes, it is. I come here often, just to watch the sky."

Jack kept his eyes on the moons. "Curious, is there a prince around?"

"I haven't found a husband yet. I've waited for someone, someone who is strong. A warrior."

"I'm sure he'll come along."

Naidera turned and faced him. "Do you think the warrior will come through the gate?"

"Maybe."

"He already has."

Jack was overwhelmed by his feelings for her, but he felt uneasy. He couldn't understand why. Jack sighed and looked away for a moment. His eyes returned, locking onto hers. He whispered, "Naidera."

Unaware of what was lurking near Jack's leg, a parasitic worm slithered closer, leeching onto his ankle.

Jack yelled, falling to the ground.

"What is it?"

"I don't know."

Naidera kneeled and gasped at what she saw on his ankle. "Hold still."

"What the heck is it?"

"It's a slarg. Hold still and I'll get it off."

Naidera grabbed the parasite and yanked it away from his ankle.

Jack screamed again.

"It's one of the animals here. This time of year, they come out for food. And when they're desperate, they feed on our blood if they can. But don't worry, you'll only have some swelling for a few days."

Jack stood, but he collapsed again.

"What's wrong?"

"My leg, it's numb. And--,"

Jack fainted.

"Jack?" Naidera said, and when he didn't answer, she panicked. "Jack!"

The team was inside a room where Jack laid on a hammock.

Sam sat beside him. "What happened?"

The Queen said, "He was bitten by a slarg, one of the animals here. Many are bitten but they've never had a reaction like this."

Sam touched his forehead. "He's burning up."

Daniel looked at Tyi'ra. "You said your people haven't had this reaction. Could it be because we're human?"

"It's possible. No human travelers have come through the gate. You are the first."

Sam watched Jack. He shivered. His face was pale and damp with sweat.

"He's really burning up."

Naidera barged into the room. "I can help him."

She kneeled over him and explained, "When I touch him, my body will absorb the venom, but it will not harm me."

Tee'ra added, "Just like the shield we created to destroy the Goa'ulds, our bodies do the same against diseases."

Hating to leave Jack, Sam stepped away and let Naidera help.

Naidera began. She held her hand over the red, swollen wound on Jack's ankle. An aura of pink light fluxed from her hand and into the wound. In her mind, she searched for the parasitic venom until she found it attacking Jack's cells, and then the light ricocheted into her hand. It vaccumed the bacteria into her body where it remained dormant.

"It's done. He's better now."

Sam rushed back to Jack.

Naidera watched them together. Somberly, she turned and followed her mother out of the room.

Jack awoke. He lifted his head a little from the pillow to see Daniel and Teal'c standing over him.

Daniel asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Great," Jack cheered. He rose from the hammock and sat on its edge. "What time is it?"

Teal'c said, "It is morning."

"Morning?"

"That's what I said."

Puzzled, Daniel rested his chin between two fingers. "Do you remember anything?"

"I was talking to Naidera, and then a bug stung me."

"It wasn't a bug. Actually, it's an animal, called a slarg."

"Whatever. It stung me and I don't remember anything after that."

"Well, we brought you here last night."

"O'Neill," Teal'c said, "You were dying, but Naidera healed you."

He smiled a little. "Really?"

"You seem fond of Naidera."

"She's--nice."

Daniel smiled. "Just nice?"

"Daniel, Teal'c, what is this, the dating game? I like Naidera, but she's a princess. She's young. I'm an old man. We're different."

"Different, meaning, she's mostly Zandanian more than human? I know you weren't crazy about Freya because of the symbiote she carries, but that's not the case with Naidera."

"Daniel, why don't you just spit it out?"

"It's because she's black, isn't it Jack?"

"Naidera's not black. She's Zandanian."

"Her skin color is black."

"Teal'c is black and we're friends."

Teal'c raised his right brow.
"I don't understand. What does the color of one's skin have to do with friendship?"

Daniel said, "Unfortunately, on earth, some people make judgments and even avoid people who are of a different race. Like the Goa'ulds enslave others because they feel they're superior."

"Are people enslaved here for the same reason?"

"They were many years ago, not now."

Jack seethed. "So you're calling me a racist and putting junk into Teal'cs head so he can hate me."

"I'm not calling you a racist. We all have prejudices about people or things. Sometimes we aren't aware of it and sometimes we are."

Jack rolled his eyes. "Oh, please."

Daniel's eyes narrowed through his glasses. "You never had a problem with women you met on other worlds. so when you said you and Naidera are different, I had to think it's because of what I said. Teal'c is your friend, a man, but a woman, you know how people feel about interracial relationships. And I know it's something you've never experienced."

Jack sprang from the hammock. "Now that I'm feeling better, I'm going out to get some air. Thank you for the psychobabble crap, Dr. Jackson."

Jack had a feeling Naidera was in the garden. He saw her there, relaxing on what looked like a park benched swing. Jack stopped. A recall awakened.

Jack was nine years old.
He often rode his bike past his neighbor's house, the neighbors not many liked. There was something about the girl who lived there. They were the same age, but she was different. He heard people call them dirty. Despite the names and how his father felt about them, Jack wanted to play with her. He invited her up to his tree house. They sat cross-legged, faced each other and talked.

Karen, with thick ponytails asked, "Whadda you wanna be when you grow up?"

Jack shrugged. "What do you wanna be?"

*"An astronaut."*

He laughed. "That's geek stuff."

*"It is not! And you're not playing fair. You gotta wanna be something?"*

*"A firefighter. You wanna see my trucks?"*

The door swung open.

Jack's father stood there.
His eyes blazed.
*"Jack, you know better. Didn't I tell you about niggers?* And now you have one in your tree house? If she's not out of here when I come back, you're not allowed up here anymore."

Jack cringed, as if his father was still there, but he was gone. Jack was back in the garden.
He eased up the steps and stood behind the bench. "Naidera."

Naidera looked over her shoulder. "Jack?"

Jack walked around the bench and sat beside her. "I want to thank you for saving my life."

"You're not angry?"

"Angry? No. Why would I be angry?"

"Because I sense you're uncomfortable with me, like I've done something wrong."

"No. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm grateful for what you've done. But I know why you feel the way you do." Jack paused. He glanced at the ground. "Is it safe here? You know, those slarg things."

Naidera giggled. "They don't come out during the day. Only at night." Quickly, she erased the smile from her lips and looked away from him.

"Naidera?"

"Yes?"

"I was wrong, for reasons I understand now."

She felt Jack's hand slide onto hers.

"My mother, I'm afraid. What she would think."

"Naidera, look at me."

She turned and stared into his eyes.

"Remember what you said about someone coming through the gate. What did you mean by he's already here?"

"It's you."

"Really?"

"Yes," she said softly.

He smiled. Jack slid closer and cradled her face in his hands.

"Jack...."

"Shh...." He silenced her, touching her full lips with his fingers. He stroked them, then kissed them gently. Jack had never felt such passion like he did with Naidera. He tightened his arms around her, pulling her closer.

She stopped to say, "I love you, Jack O'Neill." They continued. She pulled him against her, parting her lips, wanting more of him.

They wanted too much of each other. He couldn't let it get out of control, stopping her. Instead, he whispered in her ear, "I love you, too."

During the afternoon, Jack was inside his room. He sat on the hammock, elbows on his knees, his face squeezed between both hands.

"Sir?"

Jack looked up. "Carter."

Sam inched closer to him. "I was just wondering if you were all right."

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'm sure everyone else is wondering how I'm doing. Does it by any chance have to do with Naidera?"

"I know it's none of my business but I have to ask. Are you in love with her?"

He stared at her. Silent.

Tears welled in Sam's eyes. She held them back. "Sir, shouldn't we be leaving soon?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"Today."

Sam nodded and left.

Jack saw Sam's tears.
He loved Sam, but because of military rules, they could never be together, what they wanted. Torn between both of them, he didn't know what to do. Naidera was an obsession.
Something he never thought would happen to the strong, always in control Jack O'Neill. Confused, Jack buried his face in his hands.

"Mother, there's something I need to say."

Tyi'ra and Awande stood at the arched window.

Awande slinked toward her sister. "I know what you want to say to mother. Jack O'Neill. He is handsome, isn't he?"

"I didn't come here to speak to you, only to mother."

"Leave us, Awande," Tyi'ra demanded.

Awande huffed and marched out of the room.

"You want to talk about Jack?"

"Yes. I--I've chosen him to be my husband."

"Jack?"

"He's the one mother, the warrior you spoke of. Does it matter that he's human?"

Tyi'ra held her daughter's hands.
"You know I have nothing against humans. They have become our friends now. I just want to make sure you're making the right decision. Does Jack know you want him to be your husband?"

"He told me he loves me."

"But did he say he wants to be your husband?"

"No."

"Naidera, you're a princess. You have to be sure he's the one. You both have to agree to a union. If not, then you can't be together."

"Excuse me,"

Naidera and her mother looked around. Jack stood in the distance.

"I'm sorry for intruding."

Tyi'ra didn't mind, smiling warmly. "Come, Jack."

Jack walked up to them.

"My daughter has something to tell you."

"Mother!"

"Go on."

Naidera glanced at him shyly.

Jack asked, "What is it?"

"Do you wish to be my husband?"

"Whoa-uh, Naidera, we have to talk. Your highness, can we be alone for a few minutes?"

Tyi'ra nodded and left.

Naidera said to Jack, "I've offended you."

"No."

"Then why didn't you say you want to be my husband?"

"Because I think we're going way too fast. Naidera, right now, I don't know what to do. I can't stay here and I know you can't come back with me. But--I want to be with you."

She held his face in her hands.
"Then be my husband. I will take care of you. I will make sure you're happy with me."

"I know you will, but I have to leave with my team. That's what I came to tell your mother. I have a job on earth and I'm not ready to settle down yet. You're a princess and your responsibility is to be queen to your world one day."

Her lips inched toward his. "We can rule together."

When their lips met, Naidera swooned, relishing his passionate kisses.

Jack wrapped his arms around her.

Naidera whispered, "Please, stay with me."

Jack said softly, "I can't."

Disappointed, Naidera slipped out of his arms. She walked away from him.

Jack didn't turn. "Naidera?"

She continued on and disappeared from the room.

"Naidera," he yelled.

Silence.

Jack sighed. He stood at the window, gazing at the city, at the moons...at the garden.

The team was on their way to the gate.
Before they walked through, Daniel sensed they're weren't alone.

Tyi'ra appeared behind them.

"Jack," Daniel called.

Jack turned and saw the queen.

Tyi'ra said, "We will miss you."

He replied, "Thanks again for the invitation."

"Naidera will miss you."

Jack smiled slightly.

Daniel said, "Your highness, we thought maybe, before we go, is it possible one day you can share your knowledge with us. How to defeat the Goa'ulds and the way you heal people?"

"Perhaps, one day." Tyi'ra noticed a small device in Jack's hand. She wondered what he offered. "What is this?"

"If you ever want to visit, you can signal us before coming through the gate. That way we'll know it's you and not a Goa'uld."

And after Jack said those words, they vanished through the gate.

When the team stepped onto the ramp, they met Hammond at the bottom.

"Welcome back. How was your visit with the Zandanians?"

Daniel said, "Interesting."

Sam retorted, "Very interesting, sir."

Teal'c added, "Interesting indeed."

Hammond noticed Jack seemed perturbed. "O'Neill, are you all right?"

"I'll live, sir." Jack breezed out of the gate room.

Hammond looked at the others. "What happened?"

Daniel sighed, "It's a long story, sir."

The alarm blared.

"Incoming traveler!" The technician warned above in the control unit.

Hammond rushed up to the room.

"Sir, It's a Princess Naidera from Zanda."

"Open the iris."

Jack raced back to the gate room after hearing the alarm.

The iris opened. A tall, petite black woman appeared through the blue light. It vanished behind her. She walked politely down the ramp.

Jack weaved around the soldiers to greet her. His eyes brightened. "Naidera, what are you doing here?"

"I had to come. I want to see your world."

Hammond joined them.

Jack said to him, "Sir, she's the daughter of Queen Tee'ra."

"It's an honor to meet you, princess. You're very welcome here. I'll have my guards--,"

"Sir, I'll escort her to the guest quarters."

"All right, Jack."

The team watched Jack leave the gate room with Naidera.

Irritated, Sam remarked, "Well, Jack seems to be back to himself." She stormed out of the room.

Daniel mumbled, "Oh boy."

Teal'c said, "Sam doesn't seem to be happy to see Naidera."

"Get ready for a cat fight."

"Cat fight?"

"Oh, uh, nothing. Never mind."

"Hope you like it. I know it's not a palace but it's comfy."

Naidera turned and faced him. She smiled. "I like it very much." She stared boldly into his eyes and stretched her arms around his neck.

Bewildered, Jack asked, "Does Tee'ra know you're here?"

"Yes. I told her I want to visit your world. I won't be gone long. And, I wanted to see you again. I love you, Jack. I wish you would reconsider my offer to be your wife."

"Naidera." He tried to resist, but Jack gave in, kissing her, but something didn't feel right.

"What's wrong?" Naidera asked.

He looked at her. His eyes narrowed. "I don't know."

"You're tired, that's all. You need to rest. And after you've rested, I'm sure you'll consider being my husband."

Confused, Jack said, "I'll think about it." He stepped backward to the door. "I'll send food down for you."

Jack had gone. Naidera's face hardened, "I know you're lying, Jack."

Jack strolled down the corridor where he met Daniel.

"Is everything okay with Naidera?"

"Yeah, she's comfortable."

"Jack, are you sure? You seem disturbed about something."

"I got a strange feeling, like she's not herself. Oh, for crying out loud, that's crazy. I must be tired. I'll see you later."

Stumped, Daniel gazed down the corridor where Naidera stayed in her guest room.

Sam entered Naidera's room with a tray of food.

"Where's Jack?

Sam said, "He's busy at the moment so I figured I'll bring the food. We really didn't get a chance to know each other better."

Naidera sauntered toward her. She smiled. "You're right, Sam. I would like to know you better." She reached for Sam's hand and took it into her own. "Your hand, it's so smooth."

Uneasy, Sam wondered why Naidera held onto her hand, and then Naidera released it, sliding her hand over Sam's fingers as she let go. Spooked, Sam hurried out of the room. Down the corridor, feeling dizzy, she stumbled a little. Sam leaned against the wall, feeling like she was coming down with something. But then she straightened herself and continued on.

Inside the briefing room, Hammond sat with the team.

"So, what did you learn from the Zandanians?"

"Well," Daniel began, "I'm sure you'll find this interesting. Their ancestors were originally from Africa. The Goa'ulds brought them to the planet they're on now, but aliens, enemies of the Goa'ulds rescued them from slavery. They became friends with these aliens, co-habited with each other and now they've become a new race, people who can fight the Goa'ulds with their minds. They can also heal and prolong life."

"Are they willing to share this with us?"

"The Queen isn't ready yet, but they are willing to protect us from the Goa'ulds."

Sam swayed in her chair.

Hammond asked, "Carter, are you all right?"

"I'm not sure, sir. Suddenly, I haven't been feeling," she collapsed onto the floor.

"Sam!" Jack said and rushed over to her.

Hammond ordered, "Get her to the infirmary."

The team and Hammond waited for Janet standing at Sam's bed, reading test results.

Hammond asked, "How is she?"

"Not good. She's running a very high fever. Her test results show an amazing amount of bacteria in her body. I've never seen anything like it.
I've given her antibiotics but every time the medication seems to work the bacteria replicates. This is very unusual, sir."

Hammond turned to Jack. "Did anything strange happen while you were on Zanda?"

"I was bitten by a bug."

Daniel eyed Jack.

"I meant, a slarg, one of the animals there. I got very ill and Naidera healed me."

"Is it possible, Sam was bitten by one of these things?"

"It's possible."

"Jack," Janet said, "When you were bitten, was there a wound?"

"Yeah, on my ankle."

"There isn't any wound on Sam's body.
So it can't be the slarg that's causing her illness. And if her body keeps rejecting the medication, she'll die within the next few hours. Jack, Naidera may be our only hope."

On his way to Naidera's guest quarters, Jack's thoughts raced. Sam was dying. He tried to think of some kind of explanation as to what was going on. It would make sense if a slarg sneaked its way through the gate, but like Janet said, there was no wound on her body. Was it possible, while he was sick, he infected the team? If so, why was Sam the only one affected? Exhausted from thinking, Jack took a break as he neared the door.

Naidera stood from the bed when Jack marched in.

"Naidera, we've got a problem. It's Sam."

"What's wrong?"

"She's very sick. We need your help."

"Where is she?"

"In the infirmary."

Frantic knocks pounded at the door.

Jack peeked outside the window. Annoyed he shouted, "Daniel, what is it?"

"I need to talk to you, out here."

Jack opened the door a little. "What?"

"More people are getting sick.
It's becoming an epidemic and Hammond is ordering us to be quarantined. Jack, something strange is going on.
This didn't happen until Naidera arrived, which doesn't make sense because she heals people. We saw her heal you."

"I'll talk to her."

"Jack, I don't think you should go inside."

"Daniel, please, I'll talk to her."

Careful, Jack stayed near the door. "Okay, Naidera, what's going on?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." She inched toward him. Jack stepped back. "It's not just Sam, a lot of people are sick and they're dying. I didn't want to think it, but this didn't happen until you came."

"You think I'm causing this? How can you think such a thing? I healed you."

"I know you did, but the doctors can't find an explanation as to what's causing this sudden epidemic. And you have to understand, it happened not long after you came through the gate." Naidera smiled shrewdly. "They're ill because of you, Jack."

"What do you mean because of me?"

"You refused to become my husband, and so your love for me is a lie. For your lies, others must be punished."

Jack's eyes narrowed. "Love? If you really loved me, you wouldn't do this. This goes against everything you and your people stand for. And now you're gonna throw it all away because I didn't accept a union between us?"

"Jack," Daniel yelled outside the door. "Sam spoke for a few minutes. She said, Naidera touched her and that's when she started feeling sick. Get out of there, Jack!"

Naidera sauntered closer to him.

Jack stumbled back. "Naidera, you don't wanna do this."

Naidera continued toward him.

"Stop!"

"Jack," Teal'c shouted. "Get out of the way."

Before Naidera had time to defend herself, Teal'c fired his zat gun. She plummeted to the floor.

Teal'c said, "She's not dead. I only stunned her."

Jack knelt over her. "Naidera," he whispered, brushing a few curls from her forehead.

The team met Hammond inside the briefing room again.

He said, "It doesn't make sense, according to what you've told me about the Zandanians. Why would she do this?"

Everyone was quiet, until Jack spoke. "Sir, she's doing this because of me." "Because of you?"

"We, uh, we became close. And well, she wanted me to be her husband."

"You denied the request," Hammond said, "And now she feels the entire SGC should suffer."

"I didn't know she felt this strong."

"Jack," Hammond interrupted sternly. "It's more than strong. We're dealing with an alien hybrid whose obsession with you is destruction of the SGC."

"We have to go back to Zanda," Teal'c suggested. "The Queen must be alerted about Naidera's actions."

Daniel said, "I just thought of something. When the Zandanians heal, they have to be in contact with the body. I remember when Naidera healed Jack. She explained how the process works. Their power extracts the bacteria or disease from the body and then they use their bodies as hosts for the disease. But the disease doesn't affect them. They're able to use their bodies as shields against bacteria. It seems these aliens have given them an immune system much more advanced than ours. Now what if they're able to reverse it?"

Teal'c answered, "Daniel Jackson, are you referring these people touch someone and instead of healing, they release the bacteria into a body to destroy it?"

"Yes. That's what Naidera is doing."

Hammond said, "We're running out of time. Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, you have to go back to Zanda."

Before heading back to Zanda, Jack visited Naidera in one of the security rooms. He watched her inside a huge cage.

Naidera stood at the bars. "I can't believe you allowed them to cage me like this!"

"It's the procedure when there is a crisis. You know, I trusted you, Naidera. I really believed you felt the same about me."

"I do."

"No," Jack screamed. "You don't. If you did, you wouldn't do this. A lot of people are dying because of your obsession, not love."

"And more will die, because you can't keep me here."

"You're not going anywhere."

Suddenly, Naidera vanished into a pink light.

"Naidera!" Jack punched the red alert button.

Jack, Daniel and Teal'c tiptoed around the corridors while holding on to their guns.

Daniel muttered, "How can we find something we can't see?"

"Unfortunately," Teal'c replied, "My symbiote doesn't detect a Zandanian that's invisible. Only a Re'tu."

Jack's eyes scanned the corridor. "I have a feeling she's around here. Hopefully they can't stay invisible for long."

Naidera appeared in front of them.

The team aimed their guns.

The familiar pinkish water flowed from one end to the other, creating a shield in between them.

Naidera said, "I don't think it would be a good idea to use your weapons. Remember what happen to Apophis' guards when they fired."

Frightened, Daniel yelled, "Jack, I can't control my hand."

Jack saw what was happening. Daniel's gun was forced toward his head. So Teal'c also struggled with his staff weapon.

Jack shouted, "No, Naidera!"

"Sir, incoming traveler!"

Hammond watched the gate from inside the control unit. "Close the iris."

"Wait," the technician said, looking at the computer. "It's Queen Tyi'ra."

"Okay, let her through."

Hammond raced down to the gate room. His soldiers stood by and ready.

Tee'ra walked through the gate along with Naidera and several Zandanians.

Bewildered at seeing Naidera, Hammond said, "What's going on?"

"General Hammond," Tee'ra answered, "This is my daughter, Naidera."

"Well who is the other woman?"

"That is Naidera's sister, Awande."

"They're twins?"

"No. Awanda is only pretending to be Naidera."

"So you're telling me your people can morph into anyone?"

"Yes. That is what Awande has done."

"She's also trying to destroy the SGC. Many people are sick and dying."

"That's why we are here, to help you and punish Awanda for what she has done."

Naidera said, "Mother, I know where she is."

"All right!" Jack said. "I'll be your husband."

Jack looked around. Awande relieved her control over his team. They collapsed to the floor, grasping their heads from the pain of mind control.

"Drop your weapons," Awanda demanded.

Jack looked at his team, nodding at her request.

Teal'c grimaced. "No, O'Neill."

"Do what she says. That's an order!"

They dropped their guns. Jack turned and faced her. Furious, he also dropped his gun. The shield disappeared. She smiled. "I knew you would reconsider."

"Jack!"

He spun around and saw Naidera with her mother.

"What?"

Awanda yelled, "No, he belongs to me, not you."

Tee'ra said harshly, "It's time for you to go back home."

"No, I won't!"

Awande felt her mother's power she couldn't fight. She screamed from the pain, sank onto her knees and cried.

Jack frowned. He looked at Naidera and Tyi'ra. "Okay, what just happened?"

Tyi'ra said, "That was Awande, not Naidera."

"How? I saw Awande. They're not twins."

Naidera explained, "In our minds, we can think about being someone else, and we become that person, but only for a short time. Awanda never liked me, I guess because Mother chose me to be the future Queen. She felt I had everything. So when you came, she wanted you and rebelled against our law."

Daniel shook his head. "It doesn't make any sense. Jack was going to marry her to save us. But you said Awanda can only be you for a short time."

"Yes, a short time meaning a few days. She would've had enough time to go back to Zanda with Jack. Before she came here, she inflicted me with a spear wound, leaving me to die. But I had to be strong because I refused to die. The guards found me and I was healed. If I had died, she would have become the future Queen and brainwashed Jack into loving her."

Tyi'ra said, "Naidera, we have to help the others."

"Yes, Mother."

She glanced at Jack and noticed he wanted to talk to her. She wanted to be with him, but Naidera obeyed her mother and walked away.

"Sam?"

Sam opened her eyes. She turned and looked at several familiar faces.

"You're going to be okay," Janet smiled warmly. "And so are the others."

Jack said, "Welcome back."

Weak, she forced a smile. "It's good to be back, sir."

"We'll explain everything when you're feeling better."

Inside the guest quarters, Naidera whirled around when she heard Jack closing the door behind him.

"Is it you? Or is it Awande. Is it live or is it Memorex?"

Baffled by what he said, Naidera frowned.

"Never mind. Bad joke."

"Jack, I know you're concerned, but believe me, Awande is with mother. When we go home, she will be imprisoned for her crime."

Jack said, "I know you wish we could be together."

"Yes. What do you wish?"

"That we can be together. Right now, the timing isn't right. But it doesn't mean we can't one day."

"I know," Naidera held back her tears. "I hope what Awanda did doesn't change our friendship with the SGC."

"No," he grinned. "We're still friends."

Naidera started toward him. Jack opened the door.

"You are afraid."

"I know it's you, Naidera."

"Then why--yes, I understand."

Jack hurried out of the room. He was afraid-afraid of getting close to her again. When he turned the corridor, away from the guards, he pummeled his fist against the wall. He stayed there, leaning his head on the wall. Fighting the tears, he squeezed his eyes.

Inside the gate room, the Zandanians were leaving.

Hammond said to Tyi'ra, "We're grateful for what you've done for us, and we're pleased to have you as our ally."

Tyi'ra bowed.

Awande scowled while restrained by two Zandanian guards.

As they headed for the gate, Naidera ran back to Jack.

They looked at each other, and then Jack threw his arms around her.

Naidera collapsed against him, crying. "I love you."

He whispered into her ear. "One day, I'll come back. I promise. Don't forget."

"I won't, Jack O'Neill."

Jack wiped the tears off her cheeks.

Naidera slipped out of his arms. Slowly, she climbed the ramp. Inches from the wormhole, she stopped, turned and looked at him one last time.

Through a flood of tears, Jack watched her until she disappeared through the blue light. And even though she was gone, he stayed, watching the gate. In his mind, Jack whispered,
Don't forget.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Olivia Adams Smith