Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Children's Toys

by Obsessed
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Children's Toys

Children's Toys

by obsessed

TITLE: Children's Toys
AUTHOR: obsessed
EMAIL: o_neill_obsessed@yahoo.co.uk
CATEGORY: Humour, bit of Romance
PAIRING: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Before Season 3
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None, its all good harmless fun
SUMMARY: SG-1 gate to a planet full of toys
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis; asking to be please
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I rediscovered the joy of bubbles the other week, about the same time my sister was rediscovering the joy of swings and this whole story is because of that. I love bubbles, they are underrated in my opinion. Simple things.........Anyway enjoy, please and tell me what you think, please.

Jack let Sam lead the way through the Stargate, he was eager to go through and get on the other side but he didn't want anyone else to know. Especially Sam. Ever since the MALP pictures had come back he'd been dying to go through, to look around the planet. He'd managed to keep a lid on his excitement but having to wait an extra day due some tests had nearly killed him. Daniel had noticed he seemed in a bit of a strange mood. But if Jack had told him what he was so excited about he'd have to leave the Stargate program and the air force. Although, on the plus side, he'd get to be with Sam no regs. But she'd no why he'd been so excited over a planet, the reason he'd been looking forward to going to a planet for the first time. Swings. Children's swings from a proper playground, a slide and a climbing frame all surrounded by boxes. That was all the MALP could see, it couldn't get passed the boxes. And all this made Jack very happy. It was mainly the swings, he'd not been near any since Charlie died and he'd forgotten how much he loved them. Seeing them had stirred up old feelings. He couldn't wait.

He wouldn't have to wait much longer. Sam walked through and Jack followed her closely. Not too close but close enough. Daniel and Teal'c brought up the rear. When he exited the gate he immediately hit a box and fell, landing on Sam who'd done exactly the same just seconds before.

"Hey Carter" he said grinning. She smiled back and he got up. "You okay?"

"Fine thankyou sir" she said. He helped her up and they turned to see Daniel and Teal'c watching them, both standing.

"You okay?"

"Yeah fine Danny" Jack said. "Let's look around." Jack went straight to the swings. He pushed one a little and smiled, Daniel and Sam watched his face for a moment, amused, then set about the boxes.

"What are these devices O'Neill?" Teal'c asked, coming to stand beside him.

"Swings" he said smiling, he'd given hiding his pleasure over the swings.

"What are swings?"

"Children's toys, you have them in back gardens and in parks"

"They are outdoor equipment"

"Yeah"

"Then why are they inside this room O'Neill?"

"No idea but it's a pretty big room, they'd still work" he was itching to try them out. All he was waiting for was that one question from a curious Jaffa.

"How do they work?"

"Well you sit on the seat and push yourself back and forth with your feet and legs" he said.

"Or get someone to push you" Sam said from trying to pry open a box. Jack smiled.

"Bet you had boys lining up around the block for that honour Carter"

"Yes sir"

"I'll show you Teal'c" Jack said. Inside he was a mess, this was the opportunity he'd been waiting for since he'd seen the swigs. He sat down on the seat and felt a release of tension, his smile became wider. He began to demonstrate to Teal'c how to push yourself off and as he gained height and flew through the air he felt a sense of peace he'd been missing for a long time. His face was a picture, Sam found herself transfixed. Daniel wanted to laugh.

"Come try it Teal'c"

"I will...pass O'Neill"

"Aw come on, it's great" he said, he caught Sam's eye and smiled, blushing for the first time in a long time.

"Very well" Teal'c sat on the swing beside Jack and mimicked his earlier actions, pushing hard off the floor to gain height. Soon he built up a steady rhythm and height against Jacks. Jack smiled.

"What d'ya think?" he asked as he passed him.

"This is..........enjoyable" he said. Sam smiled almost laughing herself.

"See I told ya" he smiled. "What about you Carter? Wanna join us?" he looked down at her as he passed. "I'll push if you like"

"I'm fine thanks sir. Maybe later" she said pulling the lid off one of the crates.

"Alright! Bubbles!" she cried out before she could stop herself. Everyone looked over at her. "I found a crate of bubbles" she said. Jack grinned and from his swing watched as she took out a pot and opened it, then took out the little stick. Her face lit up as she dipped it into the bubble mixture and blew. A long stream of bubbles came from it and she smiled. Daniel couldn't contain himself any longer and laughed.

"What's so funny space monkey?"

"You lot. Acting like big kids"

"This from the guys who plays with rocks all day"

"Artefacts Jack"

"Daniel if we found a toy you really like" she paused to blow another stream of bubbles. "We'd never be allowed to leave" she smiled. "Plus I think it's really sweet that Jacks not afraid to show he still enjoys swings"

"Thanks Carter" Daniel sighed, grinning still and opened up a crate. Like Sam he couldn't contain his joy at what he found there.

"Wow"

"What you found Daniel?" Sam said smiling. Bubbles were filling the room, no one had even noticed the door out.

"Lego"

"Lego?" Jack asked.

"You know like building blocks" he smiled and pulled out a box of Lego and sat down on the floor. He rooted through it and began to build. Teal'c, seeing that his friends were regressing back to their childhoods and that the swings were taking up valuable time, slowed down and stopped. He smiled at them and went about inspecting the other crates himself.

"Hey sir check it out" Sam said, Jack looked over and smiled, a huge bubble floated in front of him.

"That's pretty good Carter" he said. She blew a stream of bubbles his way and he kicked at them smiling.

"I take it you were looking forward to coming here" she said.

"Why?"

"For the swings"

"Would you think I was cute if I said yes?"

"Maybe"

"Well yeah"

"That's cute sir, sweet"

"O'Neill, I have found some weapons" Teal'c called out holding up a yellow plastic gun.

"That's a water pistol Teal'c" Jack said. "It shoots water at people"

"It does not sound like an effective weapon"

"It's a toy. Like all the stuff in here, for fun"

"I do not understand" he said. Jack jumped from his swing mid-air and landed deftly beside Sam in a youthful bid to impress her. She smiled. They left Daniel building and took a water pistol each out of the crate.

"We need some water" Jack mumbled.

"Sir" Sam said pointing at a kitchen unit.

"Excellent" he and Sam filled up their weapons.

"Sir, shouldn't we be working, thinking about why there are crates full of kids toys in a room with a kitchen in it"

"We are working Carter" he said. "We're testing alien technology" he smiled and handed Teal'c a full pistol.

"Pull the trigger" he told him. He did so, spraying Jack square in the chest. Then he felt a blast from behind and whirled around to fire at Sam. She laughed and dodged in time. They hid and began to fire at each other as if they were in battle, laughing the whole time.

Teal'c stood over Daniel and watched quietly for a moment as he built up a pyramid. He waited silently until he finished, then fired soaking him.

"That's a bit unsporting Teal'c" Jack said from his hiding place.

"Listen children" Daniel cried. "Shouldn't we be working?"

"You just spent 20 minutes building a Lego pyramid" Jack said.

"So"

"We should get some work done sir, General Hammond will get awfully angry" Sam said.

"Do you think we could get some swings at the SGC?" he asked. Sam went over to him and smiled.

"We could try"

"Alright kiddies, lets do some work" he said reluctantly. SG-1 put down their toys and looked around properly.

"The whole place is full of children's toys, books, clothes and a whole lot of food. Not a single thing for adults" Sam said. Daniel was looking out of the door.

"What's out there?"

"Beds. Loads and loads of kids beds" he said.

"This is really weird" Jack said. Teal'c led the way into the bedroom and they headed to the window at the very end of the room.

"A garden" Sam stated. "That'll be where the swings are supposed to be"

"But where are the children to go with it"

Daniel sat on one of the beds and saw words etched into the wall across from him. He got up and went over to it to read.

"I know what this place is for" he called out.

"Huh?" Jack said

"It was a safe haven for children" he said. "Their world was or is at war and they were gonna send their children here so it would be safe."

"What happened?"

"No idea"

"Maybe they haven't sent them yet" Sam said. "How long ago was it written?"

"I think not, this place has gone unused for a long time"

"They never got the chance to send them here" Jack said. "Pity it's a great place for kids" he sighed

"There's no other clues about who they are or where they're from" Daniel said. "Just this"

"We should probably go home, there's nothing else here" Jack's face was a little sombre, he didn't want to think about why all those children never had their chance to come here. "We can come back, keep an eye on the place"

"Maybe all these things can go to good homes on earth" Sam said.

"Yeah" he smiled. "Come on campers, let's go. Dial it up Danny"

"Sure thing Jack"

"Maybe the was ended and they didn't need to send their children here" Sam said softly. Jack looked at the beds.

"I hope so" he looked at her and sighed once more. She placed a hand on his arm and smiled.

"Lets go home sir, talk to the General about getting some swings. We can get Janet to say they get rid of stress or something" he smiled

"Thanks Carter"

* * * *

"Knock, knock" Jack said standing in the open doorway of Sams lab, his hand behind his back.

"Colonel, how can I help?" she said smiling.

"Two things" he said. "Firstly, the general is arranging for all the toys, books and clothes to go to charities and places all over"

"That's great"

"Your idea" he said. "And I bought you a present" From behind his back, he produced a small purple paper bag and handed it to her. She smiled, confused and took out the contents, two pots of bubble mixture.

"Sir I" he cut her off.

"I thought if I can't have my swings at least one of us should get their toy"

"Sir that's so sweet, thankyou" she smiled. "You do surprise me sometimes Jack" she quickly put her hand to her mouth. He removed it. "Sir"

"It's okay Sam" he smiled. "I just thought you'd like it"

"I do, thankyou. It means a lot to me" he smiled.

"Anytime Sam" he turned to leave.

"Sir, if you want, we can go to the park tomorrow" she said. "I'll push if you like"

"Sure Carter" he turned back to look at her. "Why not"

While Sam and Jack took turns at pushing each other on the swings, back at the SGC that same day, Daniel built a city of pyramids in his office and Teal'c terrorized the officers with a water pistol.



If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to obsessed