Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Lately I'm Sure, Words Will Implore You To Stay

by Obsessed
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lately I'm Sure, Words Will Implore You To Stay

Lately I'm Sure, Words Will Implore You To Stay

by obsessed

EMAIL: oneillobsessed@yahoo.co.uk
CATEGORY: Angst, Romance
SEASON / SEQUEL: none
CONTENT WARNINGS: none again, it's not very good though
DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN THESE PEOPLE. I just really, really love them and am borrowing them. Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: er, the title and words "Lately I'm sure, words will implore you to stay" are from a song which I think is by Haven, but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that from the first moment I heard them I loved them and at the same time thought of Sam and Jack (yes I really am that crazy), er they're in it so much because it gets in my head that much.

Lately I'm Sure, Words Will Implore You To Stay

Jack watched as a private unscrewed Sam's nameplate from her office door. He stood opposite, carefully observing his every move. The private would glance around and nod every so often to check he was still there. And he was every time. It wasn't a huge job, a few screws but under such intense scrutiny, Private Jay Matthews, found it hard to work at all, let alone quickly. He was sure the second he removed it completely the Colonel would snap. Especially as he'd been stood outside her office an hour before Jay had even been ordered to remove the plate. At least he didn't have to help clear out her office. If he was to do anything, it would be then.

Sam had been in hospital for a month, an accident off world that had nearly claimed her life again. And while Jack visited her most days, talking about her return, looking forward to her return, she had other ideas. All the time she lay unconscious, it was what she dreamed about, all the while Jack bought her presents, flowers, books, (he'd do the same for Danny he insisted), it was on her mind. As Daniel spoke about his research and new worlds she never forgot it once. When Teal'c told her about his visit with his family she smiled, but on the inside she was so confused and sad. When Janet came by to check the doctors there were doing a decent job, she couldn't hold it in any longer.

Sam was leaving.

No sabbatical, no extended leave, no holiday. Sam was leaving, the SGC, leaving the air force, leaving everyone and everything for good. Janet kept it to herself, so Sam could make the announcement, but now it was on her mind too. When she spoke to Jack, treated Daniel, went to work it was always there.

Why? was the first question from everyone. Why Sam? Carter why? Why? She knew it was coming, she'd already hashed the subject out with both General Hammond and her father. Sam went to bed that night dreaming of that word. Why? She wasn't so sure anymore except that it felt right. She wanted to leave, she wanted to live. Jack was angry, Daniel upset, Teal'c understanding. Sam was confused but sure it was the right thing. She was given a week to think about it, to be sure. Today, a week on, Jay was taking the nameplae off her door.

Jack hadn't been seen for most of the week, Sam had been sorting and organising her experiments fro her successor, but Jack had completely disappeared. Until today. He was seen signing in, then disappeared again, turning up outside Sam's soon to be old office and standing up against the door. And waited,.

Jay took the name off and gripped it in his hand. A sudden rush of fear, mixed with pity and sympathy, flowed through him as he slowly turned around. He smiled and saluted at Jack before setting off down the corridor.

"Private" Jack called out. Jay stopped dead in his tracks, the colour draining from his face.

"Y-yes sir?" he asked turning back round.

"What are you doing with that now?" Jay knew exactly what he was talking about.

"I was told to remove the name and trash it sir" he said.

"Can I have it?"

"Er, sure, no problem" he handed over the nameplate and nodded.

"Thankyou" Jack said. He nodded back and pocketed it. Jay gave a little smile and walked away. Jack remained by Sam's office.

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Sam's mind screamed as she saw Jack outside her office. She didn't want to face the question again, his face again. She just wanted to leave. Jack looked at her, saw her face, then turned and left.

He returned to watch Lt Simmons instruct and supervise several privates in the removal of her personal effects from the office. They were quiet ad they worked, glancing from time to time at Jack as he stood and watched. Some knew the deal, others a little more oblivious to goings on in the mountain, but no one could ignore or be touched by the silent devotion given by the Colonel.

Soon she was gone. No trace of her left beside the nameplate sitting in Jack's desk draw.

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

Jack continued his silent devotion the only way he knew how. He locked himself away from the world and sat in his house, silently thinking.

Why?

He didn't hear the doorbell but he heard the knocking on his window. He turned to see Daniel looking in at him. He stared at him blankly, the fact he was there not registering for a little while until he `woke up' slightly and went to the door.

"Today's the day" he said. Jack nodded and shut the door again. Daniel sighed, Jack was always so quiet now.

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

Sam wasn't just leaving the SGC and the air force, she was leaving completely, the state and the country. She had packed and shipped most of her things across the Atlantic already. Now she was following them. As with her office, Jack had gone to watch the boxes leave. And he had avoided Sam as he had done before. Now he went to watch her leave.

Why?

The question screamed at Sam again as she saw him stood by her garden wall, watching her brother and Daniel load up her car. but he didn't try to approach her, his eyes met hers but they were blank, hiding what he felt from her. She watched him watch the proceedings without a movement, a sound, a hint he was even coming over. He waited, watching. Silently. Finally she got angry and stamped down her driveway.

"Jack, sir, for heavens sake say something" she cried. "Say something, anything, please"

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

"You've not said a single word to me for over a month. Please talk to me"

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

"We were close. Closer than we should've been, perhaps closer than we will ever be again but please" she stopped.

"I don't know what to say" he finally got out.

"Anything"

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

"Don't go"

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

"Do anything you like, work in a diner. But don't leave me completely" he said. "I don't know why you're going but I don't want to let you go"

"I don't want to die"

"Nobody does"

"I don't want my life to be nothing. Saving the world but having no one to share it with" she paused. "Almost losing my life and having no one to share that pain with"

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

"Share it with me" a short pause "Please" and suddenly the mask was lifted, all of his emotions were on show. the pleading, the sadness, Sam saw it all. Sam understood it all.

"Okay then"

"Good thing I kept your nameplate"

Lately I'm sure,

words will implore

you to stay.

end

bit rubbish huh?!?

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to obsessed