Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Pace

by Obsessed
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Pace

Pace

by Obsessed

TITLE: Pace
AUTHOR: obsessed
EMAIL: o_neill_obsessed@yahoo.co.uk
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack (not loads though, it’s subtle), Drama, bit of Romance, what might class as Adventure
SPOILERS: Cold Lazarus
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 2. Part of of a two-parter, concluded in 'Conflict'
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: none, I think, it’s meant to be scary (I know its not)
SUMMARY: On a routine mission, SG-1 meets a couple of lost individuals and something else…
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: This one
DISCLAIMER: I DON’T OWN THESE PEOPLE. I just really, really love them and am borrowing them. I don’t own Stargate, this lot do- Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. And I’m making no money. At all…

Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR’S NOTES: More rubbish? I think so. I’m not even sure what category it comes under (rubbish?). It all came from the voice in my head calling out to Molshack, running across the fields. It went form there and sorta got a bit mad half way through and changed direction. It gels, I’m sure it does. And I don’t know how old Daniel is so I guessed. Plus it’s only in 2 parts cause I felt it was a bit much to read in one go. And a bit much to type up. Hey to Sam. D, a huge boost to my ego (when I know I don’t deserve it). :o) Oh yeah as ever Feedback please.

"Molshack" a young woman cried. "Molshack, this is a bad idea"

"It’s a great idea. I know you can do this" a younger man called back, running a little ahead of her. She sped up to catch up with him but his pace was too quick, too eager for her.

"I know I can do this but we shouldn’t be doing this. I shouldn’t be doing this. I have lessons" the younger man, turned to smile at her.

"Armis, don’t worry. When you get to my age you won’t care" he told her. She frowned and again ran to catch up with him.

"What are you going to do if I can make it work?" she asked breathlessly. He moved on faster.

"Well, that depends on what it does. That’s what we’ll find out" They came to the end of the field where two others were waiting for them, both around the same age as the younger man Molshack.

"Did you get the part?" Molshack asked the man.

"Yep. Think Armis can get it to work

"Of course she can, of course. Don’t worry Asrin"

"Lets go then" they climbed over the fence and followed a tree line, over another field to a Stargate and next to a slightly battered DHD.

"Asrin, Seesun" Molshack said putting his arms around his friends. "Today is the day, today we four will solve the mystery that is the circle"

"I hope so" Asrin said looking at Armis.

"Aw come on Asrin smile. Molshack’s right, if anyone can do this, it’ll be Armis" Seesun said.

"My father would not agree"

"Your father is full of hate from the old days" Armis muttered, half to herself. She was sat on the grass by the DHD, her hands inside it.

"Excuse me?!" Molshack stepped in the way of him.

"Asrin" he warned.

"Can I have the part?" Armis asked, oblivious to the tension. Seesun gave her the bag and the woman continued. Finishing, the DHD lit up and she grinned. "Alright!" she yelled jumping to her feet in delight.

"Well do Missy" Molshack said kissing her on the top of the head. She smiled and Molshack took the lead.

"Let’s see what we can do" he said. Asrin and Seesun joined him around it and Armis stood back, considering running back to town. She watched as her friend began pressing symbols randomly. He pressed seven, an eighth impossible, nothing would happen and the symbols switched off. He tried again and again but still nothing happened.

"Are you sure you fixed this Armis?" Asrin asked.

"Yeah. You just can’t work it" she said.

"I mean, all those symbols are all connected to the dome thing and you can only press seven symbols at a time."

"So?" Molshack said.

"So press seven symbols, then push the dome thing. Duh" Molshack did this and they al jumped when the Stargate moved and from no where a blue wave shot out of it and settled.

"Wow" Armis said form the floor. Molshack helped her up.

"We did it" he cried. "We worked the circle" he was jumping around and Armis went up and touched it.

"Wow" she repeated. The others joined her.

"Right then, go look at my arm" Molshack said sticking his arm in.

"There’s nothing there" Armis said.

"This….is….amazing" he grinned. "I’m going in"

"Me too" Seesun said.

"I dunno guys" Armis said.

"Aw come on" he grabbed her hand and pulled her through.

Sam walked through the trees on Pz9-582 looking for her CO. She’d stopped for ten seconds to collect a plant and the rest of the team disappeared into thin air. Well into the trees. One minute Jack was complaining about the trees, the next he was gone. Daniel and Teal’c had gone off too and now she was alone. But not worried. She had her radio and they couldn’t be more than a several feet ahead of her. Or maybe more. She smiled to herself, glad of a moments peace and quickened her pace just a little. She found Jack standing on the edge of the trees, staring over some fields in front of them. She stood next to him and smiled.

"Sir" she said. He didn’t answer, his eyes transfixed on the sight ahead of him. "Colonel?"

"Oh, Carter, hey" he looked at her. "Sorry I left ya back there"

"That’s okay. We have radios sir" he nodded, smiling and turned his attention back to the fields.

"Ever miss the simple things in life Carter? Ever let them pass you by, without a by you leave?" she frowned, a little confused.

"Are you alright Colonel?"

"Beautiful isn’t it?" he smiled at her, his thoughts not completely on the fields.

"Yes sir" she smiled back, amused by his strange mood.

"Jack!" Daniel called. He turned away and saw him and Teal’c coming through the trees.

"Not a word" he said to Carter. She smiled, almost laughed. Typical bloke. Touched by the simple beauty of something but not willing to admit it. But she was touched at the same time, Jack had been so awed by the vast fields in front of them, she knew he had it in him.

"Someone just came through the Stargate" Daniel said.

"Goa’uld"

"We only heard the gate Colonel O’Neill" Teal’c said.

"Lets go see before they get too far away" Jack said. They headed quickly through the trees and came to the Stargate cautiously. A lad of about 19 and a woman of 25 were sat on the steps of the gate. Jack put his finger to his lips.

"Flippin trees" the boy said.

"Definitely not Nell" the woman said. They watched as the woman lay back on the steps.

"Dam" the boy said. "Maybe the next one. You okay?"

"I’m just tired"

"No threat" Sam whispered.

"None at all" Jack nodded and they approached the pair.

"Hi there" Daniel said. The boy jumped up and stood in front of the woman.

"Who are you?" he asked, his eyes on Teal’c. "You are Goa’uld?"

"No, no, we’re good guys. Teal’c here swapped sides" the woman sat up slowly and shrunk back, the fear in her eyes evident.

"You don’t work with the Goa’uld"

"No not anymore" Teal’c said.

"Do you live on this planet?" Daniel asked.

"No, we just got here" the woman said, moving to stand behind the boy.

"Where from?"

"Erm, where were we Molshack?"

"No idea, a desert place, with these blue crystals. We didn’t stay long" The boy said.

"You’re travellers"

"We’re travelling yeah" Molshack said. "My name is Molshack and this is Armis. We are travelling in search of our home"

"I’m Daniel Jackson, this is Colonel O’Neill, Captain Carter and Teal’c"

"What do you mean searching for your homes?" Sam asked.

"We’re sort of lost" Armis said.

"No sort of about it Mis. We don’t know the symbols for our world."

"We don’t know any symbols"

"You guess"

"Yeah. But we’re being systematic and I wrote down all the symbols of all the places we’ve been to so far. so we don’t go back"

"So your people don’t know how to work the gate"

"The gate?"

"The Stargate, it’s what we call it" Sam explained.

"Oh, no, Armis here is the first to figure it out" he said proudly.

"Your people know how to work the gate" she said.

"Yeah"

"And you know your symbols?"

"Yeah. We’re explorers"

"I wonder sometimes" Jack put in.

"Where from?"

"Earth" Armis looked at Molshack.

"Never been there"

"Good thing too" Daniel said, them he caught himself. "Oh, oh no offence to you but we have a shield. Stops our enemies"

"You have enemies"

"The Goa’uld" Jack said. Armis sat down suddenly.

"Are you okay?" Molshack asked.

"I’m tired" she said. "And hungry"

"We have food" Daniel piped up. "You can share"

"Thankyou very much Daniel Jackson. It has been a long trip" Molshack said, smiling.

"How long have you been searching now?" Sam asked.

"Seven months, two weeks"

"And three days" Armis finished.

"Too long"

Molshack and Armis helped SG-1 set up camp and they ate, Armis clinging onto Daniel slightly asking endless questions until Molshack saw what she was going on. They were in the trees not too far from the Stargate and not too far from the fields that had captured Jack earlier. Sam had been amused when he’d picked the sight but he’d not picked up on it. Armis sat next Daniel, looking at her food, smiling. Molshack watched this.

"Captain Carter. How old is Daniel Jackson?"

"How old? Oh about 27"

"I see"

"Why?"

"I just wanted to know for Armis’ sake. She is only 7 and easily impressed sometimes by older men."

"Seven!!!!" Sam said "She’s seven years old?"

"Yes"

"Well how old are you?"

"108"

"108!!!!!"

"108 what?" Daniel asked

"Molshack is 108 years old and Armis is 7"

"7" Jack and Daniel said together.

"Yeah" Armis smiled.

"How come? How is that possible?" Sam asked.

"How?" Molshack asked. "No idea. No one on Nell does. Except Armis"

"I have some thoughts on it"

"She’s smart" Molshack said.

Armis and Sam discussed her theory for a while before the sun went down. Sam promising the girl they could look into it. Help them get home. Jack agreed and finally they all bunked down for the night, the travelling Nell glad of the extra security around them. Armis lay away from Daniel, next to her friend, knowing she must be too young. She was always too young, she was used to it. Jack chose to take first watch and Sam watched as he wandered off a little from camp. She saw him settle down to watch and settled down herself to sleep. They slept soundly for hours until something woke them suddenly and sharply. The screams of a seven-year-old.

Molshack woke and shook Armis awake, shushing her gently.

"Armis, Armis, it’s okay, it’s okay" Everyone was awake and sitting around her. She opened her eyes and stared straight at Molshack.

"I wanna go" she said. "We have to go, I want to get away form this world"

"Armis, you had a nightmare, it’s okay"

"No Molshack, we have to go"

"Why?"

"This place is evil" she said.

"Evil"

"Yes Molshack" she said angrily.

"See these people, these good people have really big weapons. And they are going to take us to their home and help us find ours. We are perfectly safe" Molshack said.

"But"

"But nothing Armis"

"You are safe Armis" Teal’c said. "If you wish I will stay by your side. My son often suffers from such dreams"

"Don’t you feel it?" Daniel and Sam shook their heads.

"Where’s the Colonel?" Sam asked suddenly, looking around.

"Jack!" Daniel called.

"Stay here" Sam said, getting to her feet. She went over to where Jack had sat to watch but he was gone.

"Colonel O’Neill sir" she called. She looked around in the moonlight and tried to follow some sort of trail from his point. She could see the outline of someone and hoped to god it was Jack. She got nearer and he was staring out at the fields, lit up by the moons light.

"Colonel O’Neill" he didn’t answer and she went and stood by him. "Sir"

"Carter" he said.

"Are you okay sir?"

"I’m fine. Is the girl, is Armis alright?"

"You could hear her screaming all the way over here?"

"She was screaming?" Sam frowned.

"What are you doing sir?"

"Nothing"

"Shall I take watch sir"

"Sure"

"Are you sure you’re okay sir?"

"Yeah" his voice was quiet, calm, distant. Unsure what to say or do, Sam let him be and went back to camp.

"Did you find him?" Daniel asked.

"Er, yeah"

"He…..okay?"

"He’s in a strange mood. I thought I’d leave him alone"

"Okay"

"Armis you okay?" the woman had drawn her knees up tightly and had her head hidden.

"Can we go?"

"First thing tomorrow" Sam said. Armis nodded.

"Is Colonel O’Neill returning?"

"I don’t know Teal’c"

"Then I will take watch" he said.

"Maybe we should get Jack"

"No, leave him. I think he wants to think" Sam said. "Let’s just get some sleep"

The next morning Jack had not returned and Armis was still in her drawn up position, Teal’c and Molshack either side of her. Sam woke Daniel up and went looking for Jack. He was still looking at the fields and Sam began to worry. She went and stood next to him and looked at him. His eyes were transfixed, glazed, staring out at a certain point ahead of him. But she couldn’t tell what it was he was so interested in. His position had not moved at all, his hands still behind his back. She watched him for a minute and he didn’t move a millimetre. Now she was scared.

"Colonel" she said. "Sir" she touched him and he still didn’t respond. "Jack?" she pushed him and he tilted but still he stared at the point. "Jack!!!" she yelled. She shook him hard and slapped him out of pure fear but still nothing. Reluctantly she ran back to camp to get the others.

"Daniel, Teal’c" she said. "The Colonel’s acting really odd. I don’t know what’s wrong" she said. "Come on" she turned around to run back and slammed right into Jack.

"Jeez Carter" he said.

"Sir, are you okay?"

"I’m fine" he said confused. "What’s going on?"

"Captain Carter believes you are unwell" Teal’c said.

"I’m fine. I just went to stretch my legs" he said, shrugging them off.

"But" she started. He went over to Armis and Molshack. Armis looked at him and scrambled away from him.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing" she said quietly.

"How are you this morning?"

"I’m fine. I’m okay" she said looking at him carefully. "I just want to go"

"Not yet" Jack said going to pat her shoulder. She shyed away from him. "Not just yet"

"What?" Daniel said.

"We are ready to leave Colonel O’Neill"

"There’s more to see Teal’c" Jack smiled at him. "There is something out there and we’re going looking for it"

"Looking for what?"

"That’s what we’re going to find out" he said.

"I think we should go home sir"

"And I am saying we are going out there" he pointed out to the fields.

"Jack"

"We’re going Daniel. End of discussion" he said raising his voice. "Now, Molshack you can come along or you can stay at camp. And I promise once we return we will take you through the gate"

"What are you loking for?" Armis asked. Jack didn’t answer.

"We’ll stay" Molshack said.

"Alright come on kids, let’s pack up and move out"

"No, wait. We’ll come" Armis said. "We’ll go with you"

"Why?" Molshack asked. On her feet, she pulled him away from them.

"There is evil here, we can’t let them go alone, we just can’t" she said.

"Okay Armis. Okay"

Jack led SG-1, Molshack and Armis across the fields. Armis made a point of walking at the very back, as far away from Jack as she could get.

"No one knows where we’re going" Armis said. "This is wrong"

"We could’ve stayed at the camp"

"No, we have to go with them" Armis said.

"What are you so afraid of?" Daniel asked.

"There is evil here"

"And something is very wrong with the colonel" Sam said skipping back. "He stood looking out across these fields all night. I slapped him and he didn’t even flinch"

"What should we do?"

"See where he takes us"

"He’s taking us to our death" Armis said.

"How do you know?"

"I just know"

"Colonel O’Neill. Where are we going?"

"For a look over here Teal’c" Jack said, he didn’t turn to look at them once.

"What did you dream about last night?" Daniel asked.

"I don’t really know. I was dead, the evil, green burning eyes. We were all dead. The evil killed us" she said in a whisper.

"Colonel O’Neill, sir, we should go back to the SGC" Sam said. "Now sir, it’s not fair on Molshack and Armis"

"They could’ve stayed behind" his footsteps were hard, his pace definite.

"Sir"

"It’s an order Captain"

"How can you be so sure of what’s going on Armis?"

"Because I can"

"Armis is one of the few Nell that has the ways of the old Nell" Molshack said.

"The ways?"

"Do you mean esp. and that?" Daniel asked. Both Nell looked at him oddly.

"I can sense things" Armis said. "And Colonel O’Neill is leading us to our death"

"The colonel wouldn’t do that" Sam said.

"No. But the evil would"

Jack was oblivious to the conversation that was going on behind him. He was walking to a goal, to a set destination and he knew it was good, the right thing to do. The only thing to do. He had to take them there. He was sure. And they would thank him. Sam would thank him.

To Be Continued…………..

(If you really want to read on)

Concluded in 'Conflict'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to o_neill_obsessed@yahoo.co.uk