Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Game of Fate, A

by Nyah
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Game of Fate

by nyah

Title: A Game of Fate
Author: nyah
Email: Nyah513@hotmail.com
Category: AU, Humor
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: none
Season: any
Rating: G
Content Warnings: none
Status: Completed
Summary: The world in a bag of marbles. fate plays a game with Sg-1. Literally.
Disclaimer: Don't own em.Really wish I did thoguh. Just letting my muses play for a while.
Author's notes: Please send me feed back. Praise? Flames? I accept it all with open arms. Did i confuse the heck out of you? Tell me!!

A Game of Fate



Plink. Plunk. Plangalangalang. Wow that was a weird sound. Fate watched sadly as Death captured another of his marbles. It was orange General Hammond this time. Unfortunately when one of those was hit all the others scattered perilously close to the edge of the circle. This particular death brought all the other oranges too close for comfort. Fate decided it was time to use his orange Nox shooter and try to reclaim the orange general from the circle Death deposited it in.

These shots were tricky because Fate only got one chance the asphalt surrounding Death's circle of chalk was ancient and full of cracks. Fate carefully positioned the orange Nox shooter, with one eye shut he aimed for the spot he hoped would free his marble. Thwack! Pling- pling- pling- kachunk! Fate glared at the cue card boy, who came up with these sound words anyway? The shooter hit a crack and rolled away uselessly. In one fell swoop Death claimed the remaining oranges. Fate pouted,orange was one of his favorite colors!

The Game was over for today. Fate collected his diminishing pile of marbles up and tossed them in a pouch. With a triumphant grin Death gathered up his newly won prizes. It didn't seem fair. Fate never came out on top, as Death didn't contribute any marbles. Poor Fate could only win back the marbles he'd previously lost to Death. Plus Fate had to deal with that annoyance called "free will". He could set the marbles on a path that would be the best but sometimes they decided to change directions on him. Every now and then there way proved better or sometimes he just lost more marbles.

Now it was time for another game, one that was much different from the basic game he played with Death. Fate emptied his bag of O'Neills and Daniels, Janets, and Carters next to another ring. Death dumped out some Hathors and Apophises and a whole ton more onto the other side. Now these were the shooters. The infinite smaller marbles that filled the ring were Events. These Events were things that had to happen in order to keep balance in the multiverse. It was Fate's job to knock the Event marbles over the line from Must Happen to Happened. If not then the balance would shift and Death would win the game. Unfortunately the rules were much more complicated here. Certain People marbles could only hit certain Event marbles. For instance, only a Teal'c marble could knock "Jaffa Rebellion" out of the circle. Luckily, the different colors didn't matter this time. An orange, or blue, or green Teal'c could all do the job. And Death was a little more limited too. He couldn't just roll in his ominous black shooter in this game. His People marbles could influence Events in the same way though. Plus, the People could rebound off each other and change courses. This part was restricted by color though. A pink Apophis could only collide with a pink Daniel. Fate's problem was that he was losing his People depressively quickly. Everyday his numbers of Jacks, Sams, Daniels, and Teal'cs dwindled.

Whenever Fate lost, say; a Jack marble to Death, all the Events that required a Jack had to be redistributed among the remaining Jacks. There were of course more people than the ones already named, however there were not many Events that only a Bob Smith or a Daisy Whitten could knock out. Yet there were depressingly a lot of Bobs and Daisys left compared to the marbles grouped with the SGC. It was easy to pick these SGC players out, every time one of them was lost to Death the others some how seemed to glow brighter and brighter even as they assumed more responsibilities. It was tough enough to keep all these rules straight and then the Quantum Mirrors were thrown in.

While Fate had created the mirrors himself to make a last stab at winning this losing battle, they were perplexing. If he knocked red Sam through the mirror to what he dubbed as "purpleverse", red Sam could then move the Events in "purpleverse". It also made her more or less off limits to the red baddies. A side effect being that she was vulnerable to purple baddies. Then there was the whole Entropic Cascade Failure catch. If red Sam came in contact with purple Sam they repelled each other out of the circle. And a People marble leaving the Events circle was as good as in Death's marble pouch.

With a heavy heart Fate looked at his beautiful marbles. He saw them move about and interact with each other. Saw them form bonds that that thought would never be broken. Yet it just took a little bump from him and Jack and Sam would never see each other again. A tiny brush from Death set Ra to winning the entire "yellowverse". Still, Sg-1 his prize marbles continued to glow brighter even as their numbers diminished. So Fate took the one thing left in his marble bag out, maybe it would be enough to get them through to the end. Maybe they could pull through. It was a transparent shooter that might just spur the people on.

Hope.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Nyah