Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Just For Pretend

by Nutty1
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Just For Pretend

Just For Pretend

by Nutty1

TITLE: Just For Pretend
AUTHOR: Nutty1
EMAIL: mezzy34@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Drama/SJR
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Sequel to "Deadly Asset"
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Angst/bit of language/male/female relationship
SUMMARY: sequel to "Deadly Asset"
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: I don't own anything .... yadda, yadda I'm just using stuff for entertainment. No money was made. Nor do I wish to make any.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I'dluuurveyour comments, so e-mail 'em to me and I will be very grateful. Thanks folks. J

Forcing her eyes to continued down the page, Sam read the bold writing in horror,

OR report for Colonel Jack O'Neill
Snake bite: Inland Taipan
Total venom intake: 89.5mg
Distribution of venom throughout body: 75.2%

It had a lot of other gibberish doctor talk written underneath, but Sam's eyes only allowed her to see that much. Janet saw her tears. She took the paper from Sam's hand and hugged her.

"Tell me truthfully Janet. Will he make it?" Sam managed to ask between sobs. Janet sat back in the chair.

"I really don't know Sam. You know as well as I do that a bite like that can kill. I don't know. I really don't," she repeated. Sam shook her head in disbelief and let the tears roll down her face. Janet got up and left her alone.

The next day, Jack was in the Infirmary with Sam. Asleep, and hooked up to more machines than she'd ever seen before, with beeps she'd never heard before. She kept her head turned constantly, watching him and listening to the machine's rhythm. Every time one changed, her heart would beat faster almost in time with the rhythm and she would watch him and the machines closely as she could from her bed. When nothing more happened, she still wouldn't take her eyes off him for about another two hours more, just to be sure. When one of the machines beeped faster, and faster, Dr. Fraiser and a couple of nurses came running. Janet checked a few things twice just to be sure, and then told the nurses to watch him and to, "run the IV at one hundred CC's a minute". Not that Sam had any idea what it meant, but she remembered hearing her say it.

"Sam."

"Janet. Has something changed?"

"No. I'm afraid not. The doctor is saying the poison has travelled too far, and too fast. Sam, he's saying that Jack won't make it" Janet told her slowly.

"NO! He doesn't know what he's talking about! Tell him to come in here and talk to me. I want to hear him say it to me himself."

"Ok." Janet went off and fetched the Doctor.

"Mrs O'Neill," he said as he walked over to her bed with Janet.

"Dr ... ?"

"McKenzie."

"Dr. McKenzie. You seem to have some way out theory or so I hear." Sam made it sound shockingly outrageous. He looked at Janet. She shrugged.

"Not exactly. I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but I do believe the snakes' poison has spread too far. It had too much time to travel his body. Having to be carried for so long would have given the poison the perfect opportunity to circulate his body fully. It has now taken over 77.8% of his body. Before it was less. Admittedly only slightly, but with something like a snake bite as severe as this, that can be a lot more than it looks. I will say it once more; I do believe the poison has spread too far. If I am wrong, then I am truly sorry, but I don't think I am. I know almost for certain I'm right. Dr. Fraiser, do you agree?"

"What? With you being right, or ... "

"With my theory."

"Sorry. You're the expert, Doctor."

"Please Dr. Fraiser, I'm just trying to get a second opinion. You are a doctor, so you would have been trained to notice things like this. I know you may not specialize in this area, but your knowledge is enough to form an opinion."

"I see. Well, when you put it like that. I'm afraid on this one I think you are correct. As much as I would love to say you're wrong, I don't think you are. When a poison like that has taken 77.8% of his body, there is just not much possibility he could survive. I'm so sorry Sam."

"No. No, no, no. You're wrong. Both of you. You're wrong. You have to be wrong. Oh please God, let them be wrong. Please!" Sam cried. Tears had been welling in her eyes the whole time, and now they had reason to leave their threshold of her eyes and curse down her cheeks like wild rivers of icy, depressing water. Dr. Frasier and Dr. McKenzie left her alone as she cried the day away.

A few days later, it was announced that the LSS that had been connected to Jack, was to be switched off. Of course, Sam was furious at them for even suggesting such a thing and argued them profusely for at lease two hours straight. Once she realised that there was nothing left that the doctors could do, she stopped arguing. She never agreed though. Never said yes. Never even nodded. Just quit arguing. She guessed that they thought that was her equivalent of saying yes. Oh how wrong they were. She was allowed out of her bed to say goodbye, and if she chose to watch the machine be unplugged. She said a very teary and heavily reluctant goodbye, and was then silent. Asked if she was done, she didn't answer. Again assumed to be a yes, Dr. Fraiser turned the dials and knobs to "off" on the LSS and finally, unplugged it from the socket in the wall. To her surprise, as well as everyone else's especially Sam's the Heart Monitor, of which hadn't been switched off yet, continued to beep steadily. Indicating he was still alive when technically, he shouldn't have been. Sam looked up at Janet quizzically. Wiping tears from her eyes and sniffing a few times, she managed to compile a sentence.

"What's going on Janet?"

"He's alive. I mean, still in a coma, but alive. He's living on his own. Sam, we were wrong!" Janet exclaimed happily. Sam smiled. She got up and hugged her friend.

"Thank you!" She shouted to what appeared to be the ceiling. She was really thanking God. She had said earlier that she wished to God they were wrong. Her words being "oh please God, let them be wrong." Now she was thanking God. Smiling again, Janet told her she still had to go and stay in her Infirmary bed, no matter how excited she was. So she did. She went and crawled back in the white-sheeted bed. She slept all day. Janet looked after the baby for the day. She liked playing aunt Janet. She thought it was fun. For now, she was just calling the baby "cutey" or anything along those lines. Occasionally without noticing she had called her "Little Sammie" in reference to the name Sam had been given and despised when she was young. Sammie. She still hated it even now but Janet never said it around her. She thought it was a cute name for the little girl, considering she looked considerably like her mother.

A few days later, and Sam was officially released from the Infirmary, but with her arm in a sling. Daniel and Teal'c came in to see her.

"Hey Sam."

"Hi Daniel. Hi Teal'c."

"Major Carter."

"How's the shoulder?"

"Bit better. What about your leg?"

"Oh yeah. Pretty good. How about Jack? Anything?"

"Nothing."

"Where's the little one?"

"Janet's with her. She likes babysitting."

"Yeah. Well who wouldn't? Little cutey that she is."

"Daniel."

"What? She's a cute little baby."

"Cute?"

"Gorgeous!"

"I know. You can have a babysitting session now if you like. Janet's had her all night."

"Ok. Teal'c?"

"DanielJackson?"

"You wanna help baby-sit with me?"

"What is, baby-sit?"

"I'll explain it on the way. It's a lot of fun. Trust me. Thanks Sam. See ya later!" Daniel called as he left, explaining the finer points of babysitting to Teal'c on the way.

"Oh Jack. You have to wake up soon. I need you. I want you to see our baby. She's so beautiful. And she has beautiful eyes, and hands, just like yours. I need you to see her. I want you to. And I need to see you. I need to talk to you. I need to kiss you. I want to hug you, and feel your arms around me. So, just wake up for me, and we can be a family. For me. For the baby. Forourbaby Jack," Sam spoke to her husband quietly. She wished everyday that he would wake up. For everything. So many reasons. For her and for their baby being the main ones, of course.

Sam sat at his bedside day and night. Refusing to leave. Just in case something happened good or bad and she wasn't there. She had to be there. No matter what happened, she had to be by his side. She knew he would do exactly the same for her. And she needed to be there when he woke up. She had to be the first thing he saw. And then their baby girl. Sam longed to see a smile on Jack's presently inert face. She didn't want to see it like that anymore. She wanted to see a smile. Something. Anything but what she saw now. Lord, she'd been wishing so hard for something to change, she thought she might pass out. She wondered if it was helping. If it was doing any good. If it was changing anything. Her wishing. Her praying. Was it helping? Was it making a difference? Not at the moment, Sam told herself. Nothing would change the current state of affairs. Nothing. Only his immune system and his will power. Then it suddenly hit her. Of course things would change. They would have to. Jack had amazing will power. Nothing would keep him down long. Even something like this. Even something brutal and life-threatening. Not even this. No. This wouldn't be the subject of his demise. No. This couldn't be. Sam knew it was destined to happen. No one was invincible. Not her. Not him. No one. But this would not do it. Not so soon. Not now. This wasn't his time. It couldn't be. And if it was, it was wrong. But it wouldn't be wrong. No. Everyone had their time, but now was not Jack's. Sam had to remind herself that several times. And even when she accepted it and almost trusted it, something reminded her of all the possibilities. She was never fully under the spell of her reminders and reassurances, but she desperately wanted to be. But then every time a machine's beep changed which was rare she would think to herself, 'is that a good beep? Is that the one that means he's going to wake up? Is that it? Or is that the one to signal his downfall? That his struggle is over? That he now can't fight on with the circumstances and they have taken him away from me? When will I know for sure?' Sam asked so many questions. Different ones each time. She thought that her mind would overload and explode from all the deep thinking. Deep, sorrowful, painful, hard, and sad things her mind continued to remind her of. Things she thought she had blocked out, and pretended didn't exist, her mind would remind her very potently that they in fact did exist and weren't going to go away, no matter how she tried. They were going to haunt her until the answer came. Sam wondered if the answer would ever come. If she was buried in some never-ending nightmare, and that she would never wake up and know what really happened. Like a book, that somehow was stolen from her, and she never ever found it again and got to find out the ending of. Was it going to be like that?

She wondered.

More days past, and then turned into weeks. Daniel and Teal'c watched the baby a lot. Janet wanted to more, but with her being a doctor and all, she was often wanted after teams came back from missions and were injured or needed to have their post-mission check ups. She wished she could take some time off to look after the little girl, because she knew her mother was busy with amazingly enough something a little more important. The awakening of her husband. She longed for it to happen soon. Janet knew that. That was why she wanted to take some of the pressure and responsibility off her, so she could focus all her energy clearly on what she wanted, and needed to. Of course, her baby was very important to her, but she needed to know her husband was going to be ok. She needed to hear his voice. She needed to know for sure, that he would be alive to see his daughter. To know if he would get to see her. Hold her. Smile at her. Talk to her. Be at her first birthday. No. That was getting way too far down the track, Sam told herself. She was getting ahead of herself now. But that wasn't going to happen. No way known. He was definitely going to be alive and well by then. Way before then. Soon in fact. Very soon. Within the next few days, or so Sam was hoping for anyway.

"Sam. Sam, are you ok?"

"Hmm?"

"Oh Sam. You need a proper sleep. Go to ... "

"No Janet. I've told you. I'm not leaving here until I know he's ok. If I have to wait until the year two thousand and fifty without sleep until that happens, then so be it. I will. I'm not leaving. No."

"Sam. I know that you're pretty mixed up right now. And I know you only want to see him ok. I understand that. But that doesn't mean you can't sleep. Just go to your quarters tonight. Just get one full night of sleep, and I won't ask you again. I'll leave you alone. I promise. Please Sam. Please." Sam looked at her emphatically. Dropping her eyebrows and allowing her lips to lift, she managed a tiny smirk.

"All right Janet. Only because I know you'll nag at me until I go. But I tell you now; I'm holding you to that promise. Ok?"

"Deal. Now go and sleep, for heaven's sake. You look like a zombie. Go on."

"Ok, ok. I'm going. If anything happens ... "

"I'll come and tell you straight away. Now go."

"Ok. Remember ... "

"Yes! GO!"

"All right." Janet smiled as her friend's weary form dragged itself from the chair, and she watched her disappear out of the Infirmary. She smiled again.

"Girl's got stamina, I'll give her that," the doctor mumbled to herself and then went back to her office to continue with paper-work she had stacked practically as high as the ceiling. She was sure she'd be there virtually all night just doing paper-work, and then still not have it all finished by morning. She was certain that as soon as Sam woke up, she would be back by his bed-side as quick as she could blink. Janet smiled at the thought as she sat down at her desk, to begin to try to decipher herself through the paperwork pile. Long night ahead, she thought.

Later on in that night looking at the clock on her office wall she found it to be early in fact, 1:51 Janet heard a machine's rhythm changing. Beep increasing in both tempo and volume. She knew that meant something good. Remembering her earlier instructions, she wandered sleepily out to the source of the noise. Checking all the readings, it appeared as thought nothing had changed catastrophically, so she looked to the patient bearing all the machines. His face lightened slightly, and his pale eyelids to match the rest of his insipid face opened slowly. Blinking many times, he looked at her.

"Miracles never cease," she whispered with a smile.

In the morning, Sam rose late. 10:45. That was extremely late for her. She had no time to sleep in. She had no time. She felt awful for sleeping in. She rushed to the showers and took a quick one. Everyone else in there was surprised the water actually touched her. She was in and out like a tornado ripping through a small country town. So fast, that if you blinked, you would have missed her. She finished, dressed, and rushed to the Infirmary. Racing in, she didn't stop at the bed, she continued on into Janet's office, where she was having a close up look at the fibres in the sleeve of her white Doctor's jacket.

"Janet!" Sam exclaimed as she raced in. The doctor's head flew up from her arm and she rubbed her eyes and then blinked.

"Sam. You're early."

"Uhh, not exactly. It's 10:55."

"Oh! Oh dear. I uh ... I must have fallen asleep."

"Yes, I think so. What have you been doing in here?" Sam asked, in reference to the papers, scattered all over the desk and floor.

"Oh yes. Paperwork. I was here all night," Janet responded, before giving her eyes another massage and then kneeling on the floor and beginning to pick up the strewn paperwork. Sam knelt with her and helped.

"Did anything change during the night that you may have fallen asleep after and not gotten to come and tell me about?" Sam asked, almost sardonically. Janet looked up only to look back down. "Well?"

"Go and see for yourself, lazy," the doctor replied, not quite enigmatically. Sam looked at her strangely, frowning her confusion and then handed her the pile of papers she'd collected. She stood up and walked slowly out of her friend's office and to the bedside she'd been sitting at for little more than a month. She sat down. To her, everything looked the same as before. Same machines, beeping the same monotonous beep. The same pale face of the man she knew to be her husband. The man she loved. The same ghostly white bed sheets staring up at her, as if to remind her that her husband lay beneath them and she couldn't and wouldn't ever see him alive again. And the same chair placed neatly next to the bed so that she could sit there and stare at his cataleptic features, just waiting for them to awaken. As she looked at him it seemed to her by some miracle he awakened. Eyes opening for the first time she had seen in as many weeks, and looking straight to her. She found her eyes were wide in amazement and utter joy. She jumped forward on the chair and hugged him so tight; she thought she would break him in half. Sitting back in the chair, all she could do was smile. Smile, and smile. As though she had never done it before and it was a novelty. Something new that she had discovered she could now do again. And with reason. She sunk back into the plastic Infirmary chair as though it was jello. That was just to relieve the ache in her stomach and so she could look at him fully. She sat up again. On the edge of the chair, she rested her elbows on the edge of the bed and brushed a hand through his hair. Both smiling, she decided to hold his hand. Feeling his fingers move. Seeing his eyes open, looking at her. Seeing his lips form a smile. Seeing life in him again. Seemed to her she had waited so long to see all that. The first words he spoke to her in months were said especially for her. And no one else. It made her feel special.

"I love you Sam."

"I know. I love you too Jack. There's someone I want you to see," Sam smiled and left for a moment, which was almost too long for her to bear being apart from him, but seeing the look on his face when she came back with their little baby girl in her arms was enough to make up for the time apart. She handed her to him gently.

"Sam. She's beautiful."

"Mmm. Told you she was a girl."

"Yeah."

"Know what she needs now?" He raised his eyebrows questioningly. "A name."

"You didn't ... "

"No. Not without you. So? What were our girl choices again?"

"Uhh .... "

"Charlotte? Charlotte O'Neill. I like it. What do you think?"

"Sounds beautiful."

"Well then it's perfect. A beautiful name, for a beautiful baby."

"Yeah."

"Jack."

"Mmm?"

"I missed you."

"I'm here now."

"I know. But every night I sat here. You were here, but you weren't at the same time. If you know what I mean. I looked at you, and watched you. Watched the machines. Nothing happened. I thought I was going to lose you." A few tears escaped her eyes and etched jagged lines down her cheeks. She took Charlotte and let Janet baby-sit again. After coming back empty-handed, she hugged Jack tightly again. Smiling sadly and happily, she kissed his hand.

"Your face was so pale and lifeless. Expressionless. There was nothing there. Nothing at all."

"But there is now. You don't need to be sad anymore."

"I know. And I know it seems stupid, but I just remember when Teal'c walked into the cave with you in his arms, and you weren't the same person who had left me and Daniel a few hours before. You were just the shell. The husk of the man I knew and loved so dearly. Like I said, I know this probably sounds really stupid, but I can just see all that and I remember thinking, 'how the hell are you going to live through this?'" Sam sobbed again. She folded her arms on the side of the bed and rested her head on them as a pillow. Jack ran his fingers through her hair as she cried softly into her arms.

"It doesn't sound stupid at all Sam. I know all this must have been hard for you, and I'm sorry you had to go through it, but it's all over now. Everything's ok. You don't even need to keep those memories. Erase them. Whatever you see that is bad, forget it. I was told that you didn't come out of all this unscathed either. What happened?" Sam looked up. She closed her eyes as Jack's hand softly caressed her face. She smiled and nodded. She would erase all the bad memories. Even in knowing they would haunt her occasionally, she scrubbed them from her mind, and focused on the now. Opening her eyes, she saw her husbands' smile before her eyes. She smiled too, and then closed her eyes again as she leaned closer to him and kissed him. How long had it been, she wondered? Too long. But she hadn't forgotten how magical it was. No. That was something she would never forget. No matter what happened, how she felt when she kissed him, would be something she would never ever forget. And she knew he felt the same. Breaking the serene moment, she hugged him again. Feeling his arms around her, another thing she would never forget the feeling of. How could she? So safe. So caring. So warm. So loving. Never to be forgotten.

"What did I do to deserve you?" She asked. Sitting back in the chair, she rested her elbows on the edge of the bed and they had a staring contest. They just looked into each other's eyes. Didn't speak. Didn't move. Didn't do anything else but look. Sam found herself doing the very thing she had done when they first got together. Staring at him so carefully. Taking in every intricate detail of his face and eyes and his hands that rested next to her own on the white sheets. Memorizing the feel of his hands on her face. The gentle softness in their touch. The way his chocolate brown eyes glowed with love and devotion for her. And how they brightened when he smiled. Glimmering with happiness. He found himself doing the same for her. Knowing by heart every little detail of her. The way her blue eyes almost rippled like the sea when she smiled. Sparkling like sapphires in the sun, and when she laughed. The way the strands of her golden blonde hair sat on her head and shined beautifully. Everything to each of them was the perfect image of happiness and love. And they adored each other. Adored, trusted, admired, cared for and loved one hundred percent. To the end. The end of time. Nothing would stop that. Not even the end of the earth would stop the way the felt for one another. Nothing.

The next day, Jack had a blood transfusion and was unconscious and on a heavy IV for a few days. Sam looked after Charlotte a lot more, but still sat next to his bed. Janet insisted on babysitting Sam knew she loved it and let her. Daniel and Teal'c came to visit Jack a couple of times, but then he was still unconscious and so they didn't actually get to speak to him.

"Janet. He is going to wake up, isn't he?"

"Sam, how many times are you going to ask me that? I've told you a million times if not more yes. He is going to wake up. Stop worrying so much. For heaven's sake girl, if he didn't give up after being bitten by a deadly snake, then I hardly think he'll give up after having a blood transfusion."

"Give up? He can give up? So you mean, he might not wake up?"

"No. No, no. That's not what I meant at all. I mean .... "

"Well?"

"I uh. Well, I guess you're right. He might not. But it's very unlikely."

"I don't care how goddamn unlikely it is, if there is even a slight possibility, you should have told me!"

"I guess I should have. And I'm sorry. But think about it logically Sam, Iknowthat the likelihood of him not waking up is about one billion to one. Literally. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass. I thought you would know that he is strong. He isn't gonna give up on you and Charlotte. Why would he? And who would want to give up on such a gorgeous little baby like you, huh? You are. Yes you are. You're so cute. Oh yes. Look. Mommy is angry with Aunt Janet, but she is going to be nice to her, isn't she? Nod your head. Yes. Yes, mommy is going to be nice to Aunt Janet. Cos she is telling mommy the truth. Yes she is. Daddy is going to wake up very soon, and mommy is going to say, "I'm sorry for being mean to you Aunt Janet." That's what she's going to say. And Aunt Janet isnotgoing to say, "I told you so", but she is going to think it. Isn't she? You bet she is. Oh, and that is such a cute little smile. Oh yes it is," Janet talked baby-talk to Charlotte, who smiled and then laughed. Sam rolled her eyes and sighed. Janet was right.

"All right. I get the point. I'm sorry for being a bitch. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have told me. Cos you should've. But I am sorry. Hear that? Mommy apologised to Aunt Janet, and now she is going to go and make sure that Daddy is ok, because she is a doctor, and that is what she is meant to do. Isn't she? Yes she is. So she's going to go now."

"Ok. Thank you for that very un-subtle point. I'm going." Sam looked up and smiled. Janet checked all the readings of the machines and the IV. She removed the Respirator tube from his throat and went and took Charlotte.

"Janet. Where are you going? Why ... "

"I think you might have something a little more important to do for a while. And I won't say I told you so," Janet said and nodded to the bed. Sam looked and smiled. She turned to thank her friend, but she was gone before she got the chance. Sam moved chairs and smiled again.

"Hey. Took your time."

"Huh?"

"Waking up. Started to get worried. Daniel and Teal'c came in a few times to see you. They were surprised you weren't awake yet as well. You are now, and that's the important thing. How're you feeling?" Sam asked and pulled her chair closer to the bed.

"Not bad," his voice croaked back to her. She smiled knowingly.

"Throat sore?"

"A bit."

"Want a drink?"

"Nah."

"Ok."

"Where's Charlotte?"

"Janet's looking after her. Said we might want some time. I'll get her if you like?"

"S'ok. I'll see her later."

"All right."

"Hey! Took long enough!" Daniel bellowed as he strode into the Infirmary and over to where Sam was sitting and sat down next to her.

"Hey Danny."

"What took so long?" He asked jokingly. No response was really needed. "So. How're you feeling?"

"Ok."

"Voice is sounding great."

"Thanks."

"Where's Charlie?" Daniel smiled and looked around, not noticing he'd used Charlie as a nick-name. He knew he had and knew it made sense to shorten Charlotte to Charlie but didn't think when he said it.

"Janet's babysitting her," Sam said softly in his ear. Daniel looked around to Jack again. He was suddenly very pensive. Then Daniel realised.

"Oh. I didn't think. I'm sorry," he apologised quickly. There was no recognition taken. He thought he should go. He whispered to Sam that he'd come back later, she nodded and he left. Sam breathed deeply.

"He didn't mean it. He wasn't thinking. Jack? Hey, you ok?" Sam asked and waved her hand in front of his distant gaze. Still in it, he nodded and said softly,

"Fine."

"Are you sure? Because I'm sure he didn't realise what he'd said until after. I know he didn't mean any .... "

"I know. Doesn't matter."

"I know it's hard. I'll tell him ... "

"You don't have to tell him anything. It's no big deal. I'll get over it. Don't go telling Daniel or anyone else anything. It really doesn't matter. Ok?" He looked up at her. She nodded.

"Ok," she said and hugged him.

Five years later

"Are you done in the lounge room yet?"

"Just adding the finishing touches to the balloons. How 'bout you?"

"I'm done. It looks perfect. She'll love it. How many are coming again?"

"Well there's .... thirteen. Fourteen, including Cassie."

"How about adults? Is Janet coming?"

"Of course. If Cassie's coming, then so's Janet."

"Just checking. And Daniel and Teal'c are coming too. They're getting here a bit late by the way."

"Why?"

"Said they had some stuff to do at the base."

"Ok. Do we have enough food?"

"Yes."

"But with us and them too, there'll ... "

"Sam, it's a birthday party for a five-year-old. There'll be enough stuff. Besides, she'll only wanna go play and stuff anyway. She'll probably forget there's food. Stop worrying. There's enough. Ok?"

"Yeah. You're right."

"Aren't I always?" He smiled hopefully. She half-smiled.

"Not always. You just think you are."

"Oh!"

"It's true! But you're right this time, I admit. I was overreacting a little."

"A little?! Please! You were acting as though you were setting up a royal function. She's five!"

"I know. I just wanted to make sure everything was good."

"Good huh? I'd go more with .... hmm, what's the word I'm searching for? Oh, that's it. Perfect."

"So what if I want everything to be perfect. She's special. She deserves everything to be perfect on her birthday."

"Maybe so, but don't you think you're going a little bittoofar?"

"No. Well. Maybe a little. Ok, ok! I went too far."

"Is that not another example of my being right?"

"All right. I'll just call you Albert."

"Huh?"

"Albert. Einstein! Geeze, you really didn't pay attention in school, did you?"

"Hey! Gimme a break, would ya?! I didn't know that was who you meant. I know who Einstein is."

"Sure you do."

"I do! He was the one who invented your stupid Theory of Relativity. Well? Am I right?"

"Yes. But I bet you don't know my 'stupid Theory', do you?"

"I might."

"Oh yeah. And you might not."

"I might!"

"Pigs might fly, my love. Pigs might fly," Sam smiled. Jack frowned indignantly. "Ohhh. Is my baby sulking? Who's turning five again? Charlotte or you?"

"That's just plain insulting."

"You'll get over it. Come and kiss me you!"

"I dunno. You might insult me again."

"I won't. Promise," Sam said as she walked close to him. He raised his hands in front of him.

"Stop right there. Warning: Do Not Insult, Or Bear The Consequences."

"What might they be?"

"Uhh .... "

"You say there's consequences, but you don't what they are. You better make 'em up pretty quick, or I'm gonna just say I don't care what they are."

"Bad stuff! The consequences are bad. You don't wanna know what they are. You might regret it. It might scare you forever and .... " Sam blocked him from talking by kissing him thoroughly.

"And I don't think I care," she told him.

"Fine with me."

"Good. Now, shut up."

"Aye sir."

There was a sudden bang at the door. Sam ran to the door. Opening the door quickly, she smiled.

"You're early. Birthday girl isn't here yet."

"Doesn't matter. I missed out on Math," Cassie smiled as she walked in with Janet, present in hand.

"You didn't tell me that!" Janet exclaimed. Cassie laughed.

"I knew you wouldn't let me come home early if you knew I had Math. That's why I said I had Gym."

"Ooh! I swear. You're in big trouble missy!" Janet shouted as Cassie scooted into the kitchen to get a drink.

"Hello anyway. I'll be talking to her later."

"She's learnt well. I used to do that."

"Jack!"

"What?"

"You've been teaching her?!"

"No. Well ... she asked for hints, what could I do?"

"Say no, might have been good."

"Janet, she was desperate. I knew how she felt. I hated Math too."

"Knew it."

"What?"

"You felt sorry for her. Don't do it again!"

"Yes ma'am. It won't happen again. I promise." Janet laughed.

"Wow!" Cassie squealed.

"What?" The doctor questioned.

"Check it out! I've never seen so much food. What are they?"

"Never mind. You can try some later. For now, you have to stay away from the food. None of it gets eaten until Charlotte is here," Sam instructed.

"Ohh!" Cassie wined.

"Don't sulk," Janet told her. She frowned at her.

"I'm not," she defended.

"You can try something," Jack whispered.

"No she can't. Not until Charlotte is here," Sam said again. Jack narrowed his eyes at her for hearing.

"You had something. Only seems fair if she can pinch a bit too," he noted.

"How did you ... oh damn. Go on then," Sam gave in. She knew he would hassle her until she did. Then there was another knock at the door.

"Ooh. Could it be the birthday girl?" Sam smiled and left to open the door. "Daniel. Teal'c. I thought you were going to be late?"

"We're not late?" Daniel questioned.

"Not exactly. Charlotte isn't even here yet."

"Oh. Well, I thought we were going to be late. Wrong! We'll wait in the car if you like?"

"Don't be stupid! Come on in." Daniel smiled as she stepped aside. He and Teal'c walked in and were greeted by the others and then they all waited.

"Where is she? Why is she so late?" Sam said as she paced anxiously.

"Do you want me to go to her school and ask when she left?" Jack asked. Sam thought a moment.

"Yeah. I think you should," she agreed.

"Ok. Won't be long," he grabbed his car keys and left.

"I'm sorry about all this guys."

"It's ok Sam. I'm sure she'll be here soon. Besides, we don't mind waiting," Daniel said.

"Yeah. And there is all this yummy food," Cassie interjected. Janet smiled.

"I thought you said you weren't going to have anymore? That was about an hour ago, and you're still sneaking handfuls. I think you should hide the food Sam. Otherwise, you won't have anymore food once she's done." Cassie frowned at her. Hurt. "I'm just kidding," Janet assured, resting her hand on Cassie's shoulder. She shrugged her off.

"Yeah, well it wasn't funny," she snapped and then stormed off and they heard the back door slam. Janet sighed.

"Teenagers."

"Yeah," Sam agreed softly, in full worry mode for her own daughter.

An hour later, and there was no sign of Charlotte or Jack. Sam was worried.

"I think I should go see where he is. I mean, something must have happened if he's still not back. He was only going to the school. Will you guys all be ok here?"

"Yeah."

"Sure Sam. You go. Do you want me to come with you?"

"No. It's ok Daniel. I'll manage. I won't be too long. I hope," Sam said as she grabbed her car keys and went to the car. She started the car and headed in the direction of Charlotte's school. When she got there, she entered the empty yard normally full of screaming children. She headed in the direction of the school office. When she got there, the glass doors were locked, and she could see by looking through them that there was no one inside.

"Damn," she cursed and thumped her fist on the door. She walked around into the court-yard. Walking past the cafeteria, she saw a body strewn on the ground, laying in a pool of red. She could see even from a distance that it couldn't possibly be Charlotte, but she instantly panicked and ran to the body. Turning it to see its face, she felt a lump rise in her throat and threaten to make her throw up. Sunken under the pool of blood around the body was a small piece of paper. Sam picked it up and felt the blood warm on her fingers as it dripped from the paper and smudged the black ink writing.

'GUESS WHO?'

Sam shuddered and dropped the now red piece of paper and turned the body over fully. Inspecting the chest wound, she was almost certain a bullet had hit close to the heart. And with the amount of blood the bullet had to have been aimed for the heart. Concluding she could do nothing, she fumbled through her jacket to find her cell phone. Her pale blue jeans were now covered in splodges of blood and her jacket was getting redder and redder the more she struggled to find the phone. She wiped her hands on her jeans leaving a large smear of red across them and then continued to search hurriedly for her cell phone. Finally finding it, she dialled her home number.

"Hello." Came through after what seemed like a million rings.

"Janet? Janet, you have to come to Charlotte's school quickly. Now! You gotta get here!" Sam exclaimed shakily, trying to make her voice steady so she could be understood.

"Why? What's happened? Sam, calm down, and explain to me what's happened," Janet said slowly.

"I can't Janet! You've got to get here! NOW!" Sam yelled, voice trembling with fear, and the tears just adding to it.

"Sam ... "

"Just get down here! I haven't got time to explain. You haven't got much time, so hurry. Bring the med-kit. It's in the bathroom. Come into the yard. Past the cafeteria."

"I don't know where that is."

"Bring Cassie. She knows."

"Ok. Stay there. I'll be there ASAP."

"Hurry!"

"Cassie. Where's the cafeteria?"

"Around this way," she broke into a run and Janet followed. Crossing the yard and passing the cafeteria, they saw Sam on the ground cradling a head in her lap, with blood literally surrounding her and the body. Janet stopped for a moment almost seeing the scene in slow motion and then continued. She dropped the med-kit on the ground and fell to her knees next to Sam. Cassie gasped when she saw the bloodstained body and face of the person Sam held close to her, despite the blood that poured from its insides and onto her lap. Janet took a sharp breath as Sam turned to her tears filling her eyes and flooding down her cheeks. Having no time to hug her although she wanted to she opened the med-kit.

"Who did this?" She asked.

"I ... I don't .... know," Sam managed to quiver out.

"Did you see this Sam?" Cassie asked pointing to the note, still floating in the river of blood. Sam nodded sadly. As Janet opened the shirt encasing the gunshot wound, Cassie's breath caught and she turned away.

"Who would do this?" She said. She didn't expect a reply, and didn't get one. Janet did the best she could with the little equipment she had. Using the thickest bandages in the med-kit, she wrapped them tightly around the body's chest.

"Sam, I can't do anything while we're here, and with this stuff. We need to get to a hospital, and fast. He's already lost too much blood, and this wound is severe. Needs to be operated on. We have to go now." Sam just nodded again. Cassie wandered off a little, while they attended the tedious job of lifting the body gently off the crimson ground it lay on. As she wandered, Cassie heard a voice.

"Charlotte?"

"Cassie?"

"Yeah. Where are you?"

"Here." Charlotte stepped out from behind the wall around the rose garden. Cassie sighed.

"Where have you been? We were all so worried." She sounded like her mother.

"I had a fight with Bradley Lansberg, and he told me not to go on the bus or he'd bash me up. He's in third grade. I was scared. He said to stay here," the little girl's voice faltered and she burst into tears. Cassie hugged her and she calmed. "I'm sorry if everyone was worried. I thought he'd hurt me."

"It's ok. You know he's just a big bully, don't you?"

"Ya huh."

"Good. Then don't let him boss you around, ok? You tell him that your friend will come and bash him up."

"You?"

"Mmm."

"You'd do that for me?"

"Notreally. Just for pretend. It'd just be to scare him. Then he'd leave you alone."

"Ok. How come you're here?"

"Oh. Your mom came looking for you."

"Where is she? Won't she be mad?"

"I don't think so. Come on, we'd better go." Cassie took Charlotte's hand and they began running back to their parents. Charlotte saw the blood staining and pooled on the ground.

"What's that from?"

"What? Oh, that."

"Yeah. What's it from? Did someone get hurt?"

"Ahh ... yes. Someone."

"Who was it?"

"Oh, it doesn't matter."

"But ... "

"Come on. Your mom will be wondering where we are." The girls continued running, until they were a few meters behind Sam and Janet.

"Mommy!" Charlotte cried as she saw her mom up ahead and began running to her.

"Charlotte! Wait!" Cassie called after her. She tried to catch her, but she was too late.

"Mommy!" She exclaimed again as she hugged her mom without allowing her time to stop. Sam looked down.

"Charlotte. Oh no," she breathed quietly. They kept walking until they reached their cars and then stopped and placed the bloodied body in the backseat of Sam's car even in knowing they should've called the Paramedics. Sam leaned down to hug her daughter who she was admittedly happy to see. She stopped her mother before her arms were around her.

"Mommy, why do you have red all over your clothes? I saw that blood all on the ground. What happened?"

"Oh, it's nothing sweetie."

"Who is it mommy? Who is it?" Janet closed the car door. Charlotte ran and opened the front one and climbed in. She looked over to the back seat and screamed,

"Daddy!"

++++Finish++++

Hope you liked it. Don't worry; it's not the end yet. There's another part to come. Comments, pretty please. Thanks! J
~*Nutty1*~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Nutty1