Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Watching Sam Sleep

by Nicky
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Watching Sam Sleep

Watching Sam Sleep

by Nicky

Title: Watching Sam Sleep
Author: Nicky
Email: nickycash@hotmail.com
Status: Finished
Category: Missing scene. Sam and Jack
Spoilers: In the Line of Duty. Minor spoiler for Secrets
Season/Sequel info: Season 2
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: None, m/f
Summary: Sam is recovering after being used as a host. Daniel's POV
Disclaimer: Although I wish I owned them Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are in fact the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands (I wish it had). No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.

"Daniel," Janet looks up from her medical notes as I wander over to the hospital bed where Sam lay. "You've just missed Teal'c."

"Yes. I just saw him in the corridor. It's my stint now." I look down at Sam who is sleeping soundly. " How is she?"

"Getting stronger all the time but she is still sleeping a great deal."

"That's understandable. She didn't sleep at all in the two days following Jolinars death. She told me she was too scared to."

Janet finished checking Sams monitors and renewed the IV bag running to Sam's wrist. She smiled at me. "I've got to go and check on some other patients but I will drop by later. Cassie wants to see Sam again."

I smile and thank her as she leaves before lowering myself onto the chair by Sams bedside. I take her hand. "Hi Sam. Its me, Daniel." She stirs slightly but does not wake.

It is five days since the Tok'ra Jolinar died. For two days following that event Sam had been in a catatonic state, a state that had scared us all. We all took turns trying to rouse her, to regain the Sam that we knew and loved, but it took the intervention of Cassandra to finally achieve that.

Now Sam is on the long road to recovery. She is finding it hard though. Jack told me that Sam had said being a host was the worst thing that had ever happened to her. She had tried to fight Jolinar but to no avail and she was feeling guilty about the things she had said, albeit while being controlled by Jolinar, to all her friends.

However, when the Goa'uld revealed to Sam that it was a Tok'ra, a member of the resistance against the system lords, and that it would do all it could to save Sams life, her perception changed. So much so that when Jolinar died it was as if a part of her had died with the Goa'uld and it had left Sam in a confused state of mourning and shock. She was angry with the Goa'uld for invading her life but also upset at it leaving her.

Since that time we have been there for her, sitting with her around the clock which I know she appreciates. Even General Hammond has sat with her. She is as much a daughter to him as Jack and myself are like his sons. General Hammond took it upon himself to look after Sam as, even though Sams dad Jacob is a USAF General, he does not have the security clearance to even see his daughter let alone know that she had been injured.

We have comforted her when she wakes up screaming from yet another nightmare. We have held her when she is crying and just sitting with her holding her hand. We take it in turns so that one of us is always by her side, although, Jack seems to have stayed twice as long as anyone else has. Janet even had to order him to go away and sleep at one point but he was back by Sams side three hours later.

I look around the room. The bouquet I bought Sam has been joined by others. I note with a smile that the largest bunch is from Jack. It looks like the entire SGC have sent get well cards and Cassies drawings cover the walls, considerably improving the normal dull grey dcor.

I turn back as Sam murmurs in her sleep. Her hand tightens in my grip but she soon settles down again. I reach over and brush her hair away from her face. When I heard that the Ashrak had succeeded in getting to and attacking Sam I was terrified. Fearing the worst I had ignored the effects of the Zat gun blast and had rushed to see her. I had only allowed myself to be treated when I had seen that she was alive and OK. In the past year that I have known her Sam has become the sister I never had and I love her as if she was my sibling. If she had died I don't know what I would have done.

However, I think someone else loves her even more than I do. Teal'c told me how Jack refused to leave Sams side. He helped lift her onto the stretcher, helped move her to the OR and stayed with her through the ordeal of Jolinars passing. Teal'c even mentioned that Jack had cried as Janet and her nurses tried to resuscitate Sam. He had quickly wiped the tears away but it was the first time Teal'c had seen Jack drop his tough soldier image.

It makes me wonder if anything is going on between Sam and Jack. If there is they keep it very well hidden. Aside from some gentle flirting Jack rarely refers to Sam as anything other than "Captain" or "Carter" and I have never heard Sam call Jack by his first name.

I stay sitting, watching Sam for another hour when she begins to wake.

"Jack?"

Well there's a surprise. "No it's me, Daniel." She opens her eyes and smiles at me. "Good dream?"

She nods. "For once it wasn't a nightmare."

There is a light knocking in the doorway. I look up and see Jack standing there smiling at Sam. "I think its my shift now Danny."

I stand up, lean over and kiss Sam gently on the forehead. "See you later." I say gently. She smiles and squeezes my hand.

As I walk out the door I turn back to see Jack approach Sam. "Hello sweetheart." I hear him say before he kisses her on the lips, a gesture Sam eagerly returns. As I walk away I smile, glad that two of my best friends have found mutual love.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Nicky