Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Old Flames

by Newbie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Old Flames

Old Flames

by Newbie

TITLE: Old Flames
Author: Newbie
Email: sonya_bxxx@hotmail.com
Status: Incomplete
Category: Angst/ adventure / romance
Pairings: Sam/ Jack, Jack/ Laira
Spoilers: 100 days
Season: anywhere from 1 until the Meridian (season 5) as Daniel is a character.
Sequel: 100 days
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: none
Summary: Jack has a visitor to the SGC that has repercussions for relationships in SG1
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors

Old Flames (part one)

*Bang Bang Bang *

Jack woke with a start.

"Sir. Are you awake?" a voice called from outside.

"Oh for crying out loud", he muttered to himself as he rolled over and glanced at the watch on the table beside his head. The time read 3:30am, "Yeah... Come in" he called. A young nervous looking Lieutenant entered as he sat up and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Sorry to wake you sir, but we have a situation in the gate room". Surprises, surprise, he thought, why bother saying that cut to the chase woman. She shifted uncomfortably from one leg to another.

"Well?" he said impatiently. He sat up, the lieutenant then realised he needed to get dressed and spun round so fast she made Jack feel dizzy. They were letting them in younger and younger nowadays it seemed to him. She must be what? About twenty he mused. He was going to ask her, then thought better of it. Its not the sort of thing a half naked officer should ask a junior cadet whilst sitting in bed.

"A woman just came through the Stargate and she is demanding to see you, Sir". She answered. She still seemed nervous, but then again if he had to wake him up at this time in the morning he's be terrified. Not a morning person, when he had had virtually no sleep yet.

"Oh to be popular" Jack muttered. As he sat up and pulled a T-shirt over his head. SG1 only got back from P3X 747 at 1am that morning. He wasn't planning on leaving his quarters for several more hours. Wondering why in fact she was still here in the room. Normally they barge in shout something end it with sir and run out as fast as possible before anyone can react.

"Sorry sir... didn't quite catch... ", She called over her back as he got dressed. He interrupted,

"Who is it? And what do they want? .... Is she Tok'ra? At this time in the morning she has to be Tok'ra." He stated rolling his eyes. He bent down to tie his boots up.

"She's from Edora and says her name is Laira, and she..." the Lieutenant began

"What!" that was unexpected. Talk about blast from the past. " Laira.... Here?",

"Yes sir, in the gate room", with that he grabbed his Jacket and ran out the room leaving the Lieutenant standing in the door.

"She says you have a daughter, and she's been kidnapped..." the Lieutenant finished quietly to herself. "Just thought I ought to give you warning". She watched as the man she adored from afar went running down the hall jacket slung over shoulder and T-shirt untucked. "As if Carter wasn't bad enough" she sighed and followed him down the hall.

*****************************************************************************************

Cue Stargate opening credits

*****************************************************************************************

"Jack! Thank god you're here! They said to wait, but I was afraid you wouldn't come", Laira gushed as she ran up and threw her arms around Jack's shoulders. "I'm sorry to come here, so abruptly, but I didn't know where else to turn."

Jack briefly stunned recovered and hugged her back. The situation was surreal he thought to himself. He hadn't thought about Laira for months, and previously only when he went home to a lonely house and remembered how much he had enjoyed being part of a family during his hundred days on Edora. He missed that, being part of a family with kids, and someone to share your life with. And briefly with Laira he had belonged again, he had been part of a family unit, even if it wasn't his. He drew back from the hug and glanced at Laira's face. She had been crying, her eyes were red, and face was pale and streaked. She looked older than how he remembered her; then again he didn't look any younger either. She was still a very attractive woman. He heard the general bark some orders at a captain in the background. Then he remembered why he had left, abandoned his new family unit. He was the job; the voice of Sarah rang in his ears,

" What would you do if they took away the job Jack? You live for these missions, you only socialise with the army personnel despite my best efforts, you constantly think about the job. Your body maybe here in this house, I may even have your heart, but your mind and soul are pledged to your country. The job."

A job he loved doing. His retirement had not been the happiest years of his life. Wracked with guilt he had sunk lower and lower into his shell. Didn't leave the house, it was a wonder Sarah stayed as long as she did. Especially after what he had done....

After Abydos, he had improved. He didn't leave the house, but he began to, for brief moments of the day, let go of the weight on his shoulders and embrace contentment. He found himself watching the stars and just imagining.

"Jack, she's gone. She's been taken along with all the other children of the village" Laira sobbed. Her eyes welling up. "I left her for ten minutes with Miran while I took bread to Hosaf, he was ill. When I returned they had disappeared." She made no sense whatsoever. The names brought faces to his mind, people he lived with for 100 days.

"Laira sit down" she collapsed into a chair and looked up at him, with those big brown eyes. "Now lets start from the beginning, who's gone?" Jack asked. Laira stared at his blank face.

"I didn't want you to find out like this. I didn't want to burden you, Oh god..." Laira put her head in her hands. Jack's head was swimming. He knew what the answer was but he still had to ask, he had to hear it before he could believe it.

"Find out what, Laira?" he choked.

"I have a daughter Jack, her names Seria, and you... she's your daughter too" Laira finished and stared at Jacks face. Searching, trying to read his thoughts. At that moment I think Jack would've liked to read his thoughts. Shock was the first wave that swept over him. Then a mixture of happiness, he had a daughter. Guilt he'd left her and now she was missing. Worry how would he get her back, if he did how would he be the proper father to her. Dread, he'd have to tell the SGC, ... he'd have to tell Sam. Laira had started babbling again, from what he could sort through, all the children that's five years old and under had been kidnapped. They don't know if they were still on Edora or taken through the Stargate, but the whole village was in turmoil.

"Sir, permission to..." Jack started but Hammond finished his sentence

"Granted. I'll get SG1 up and ready to go..." Hammond made a motion to an officer near by

"NO!" Jack shouted. The looks of shock on the three faces were almost uncanny. "No let them sleep. We don't know a lot yet. I'll go through now and have a look round from what Laira says the kids are long gone. Can you brief the team and send them through later." The general nodded. Jack turned to Laira; "I'll just kit up and be in the gate room in 5 minutes". Laira nodded and left the office.

"Jack, I just want you to know you have the full resources of this facility. Whatever you need..." Jack knew what he was saying, and was grateful.

"Just do me a favour and tell SG1 everything before you send them through", the thought of telling them himself was almost unbearable. The general nodded. "Good luck Jack, I hope you find her". Jack nodded and turned to leave.

The general watched as jack left. That was a hell of a lot for one man to take in at once. Yet Jack reacted, professionally and without hesitation. Now he had the great task of putting all this tactfully to SG1.... Oh boy. Paper work was looking more appealing by the minute.

*********************************************************************************************

Change of scene: Edoran Village

*********************************************************************************************

Jack spent the next few hours talking to villagers it was late evening to them. Of course they were distraught but they helped him as much as they could. Most of them heralded him as their saviour, everything was gonna be ok now that the great O'Neill was here. Yeah great, Jack thought, so great that he got Laira Seria and himself into this mess and the one thing he desired almost above every thing else, a kid he had had for months. He just never knew. Now she was gone and he'd failed yet another kid, but this wasn't permanent. He could fix this... god he hoped he could fix this. His thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice blaring through his radio. Sam.

"Colonel, we've just arrived through the gate. What are your orders sir?" She had a professional voice that to the ignorant ear was almost unfeeling, yet its after tone and content unveiled to Jack a series of insights. She was nervous, he didn't know why. She was in shock, she was also angry, but she'd never show it. She was the job too. He read people far better than anyone could ever know. The difference between him and Daniel was that he saw beyond what they wanted to hear to make them feel better to what they needed to hear to do what was required. That was why he'd never be a diplomat. Quite a lot of the time he just didn't care how some people felt, which is how he gained the title as an antagonist. He liked the role he played, it allowed him to do the job, be the job.

"RV with me at the village, you remember the way major?" he answered with the professional manner as Sam. She couldn't read him, like he could her. She wondered what he was thinking, feeling, wishing as she wandered up the path to the village. To be honest she wasn't thrilled by the whole situation. He must be going out of his mind with everything that went on in the few hours she, Daniel and Teal'c were asleep. So much had changed; the colonel was now a daddy of an apparently kidnapped kid. That was life at the SGC for you, something constantly going on, constantly changing yet always the same. She was pondering on her profound thoughts as she entered the village. They had come far, she noted. There were more buildings and shops now, she noted the large building off the square, must be a town hall of school or something. They were still only building on a single story basis though. She saw the colonel in what she now guessed was like the village square. She went to jog over to him, then checked her stride; Laira was there with a few others. Daniel walked up beside her and smiled, it was a reassuring smile. Daniel had always had a great intuition with peoples thoughts feelings and emotions. She was glad of it now.

O'Neill watched them jog up to him. Daniel he could read like a book, he wanted to re-assure jack that everything would be fine. That he understood and would help him get her back not matter what. Who'd have thought he could wear his heart on his sleeve now? After everything they'd been through. His desire to help others will be the undoing of him he speculated he will never just look out for number one. Teal'c surprisingly easy once you've familiarised yourself with him. He wished to be of service as a warrior, friend and fellow father. He too had had a similar problem with his kid. Carter, oh boy, she wouldn't make eye contact till she came up close. He was expecting anger maybe, and that would be fair he was angry with himself. Worry maybe, she too had a heart large enough to engulf Minnesota. She looked up at him, and it almost broke his heart. It was hurt; he had really hurt the one woman whom he'd ever admitted to caring so much for he'd have been willing to die for. God, he hated himself.

"What's the situation, Sir?" again the tone was professional but the eyes showed she was hurt. She was angry with herself for being hurt. He's my CO, he owes me nothing. She thought He was stranded here, he probably thought it was forever. Anyway its not like they were dating, god why am I doing this to myself. Look at him, she surveyed the colonel talking about the missing children, he needs me to figure it out and all I'm doing is feeling sorry for myself. She went back to concentrating hard on the situation.

"So the traveller showed up and they just let him stay in their house. He gave no explanation to who he was or where he was from?" she questioned. Not to put to a finer a word on it but that was just stupid. She tried her best to ignore the shocked looks from the Colonel and Daniel. What? It was really stupid.

Laira stepped forward at this point. Until now she had stayed silent beside Jack, like a faithful lapdog thought Carter bitterly.

"He said he was on a journey to look at the remarkable Stargate, the one that saved our village. His had been destroyed. He wanted to stay here for a day, then go back home. We had no reason not to believe him, and he had just helped bring Argos back to us after he had had a nasty fall from his horse. Argos's parents thought it was the least they could do."

Carter at once felt guilty. She could hardly imagine what Laira had been through. Raising a kid on her own, having it kidnapped. She was a remarkable woman. She had re-built their village as their leader and a single mum, who was Carter to criticise her.

"If I'd have known, what.... Well I would have..." Laira continued, but she broke down. Her body was shaking with sobs and she leaned heavily into Jacks shoulder. He hugged her in response, trying his best to comfort her.

Carter felt a stab of envy; just as she had before when she went to retrieve the colonel from Edora before. God that had hurt. She'd spent months, working through the night to get the particle generator finished for him. So stupid, she thought in her own way she'd be his knight in shining armour, not his captor dragging him back to the reality of the SGC.

This is all my fault, Jack thought to himself, whilst trying to comfort Laira. I shouldn't have left SG1 at the crucial moment before the comets hit. I shouldn't have stayed in her house. I shouldn't have grown fond of her. I shouldn't have drunk whatever that moonshine was that night, I shouldn't have made love to her, I sure as hell shouldn't have left her alone for so long, and I most definitely should be thinking of Carter the way I do. God what a mess.

Daniel equivocally viewed the scene; this was not going to end up pretty, no matter the outcome. Someone was gonna get hurt. As he looked onto the group, he realised that he could offer no advice to anyone. It was an almost impossible situation. Sam's reaction to Laira was a shocker though. He'd thought she band with her, and give the colonel hell for not living up to his responsibilities. Instead she'd practically condemned the woman for her good nature. He looked at Teal'c who had been surveying the scene as thoroughly as Daniel.

It is indeed an unfortunate situation, Teal'c thought to himself. He sympathised with O'Neill. He was a father himself, and had shared many troubles with his own child. It was different of course, for he had watched his child grow up. Yet the same, what many humans had not come to realise is that a bond is formed between a child and its parents before birth. On Tulac it is believed that in making a child, not only your DNA (as it were) is shared, but part of your heart and soul. O'Neill is grieving for the loss of something he's never seen, or knew he had. He's grieving for the loss of a part of him, and that's hard for him to understand, and accept. Carter was not coming off this easily either. He was not surprised in the least by her antics. In fact he was more bemused by Daniel and Jacks shock. Carter, despite her attempts to detach herself, is in love with O'Neill, and the same for vice versa. Jack must be aware of this, yet he seemed to expect her to accept Laira. She isn't perfect and though he and many more at the SGC may occasionally forget, she is a woman. Women in love, as with men react violently to most matters, regardless of their size, concerning their mate. This matter was no small matter.

Jack turned and led Laira to the cottage. Once in he settled her on her bed, and went to return to SG1.

"I'm going to do a thorough sweep of the area. Teal'c you're with me. Carter Daniel, apparently he left some stuff in the room he was in. Go and check it out. See what you can find". He ordered. Carter turned and practically ran from him. He sighed and went to follow Teal'c, when Daniel grabbed his arm.

"Jack, Anything you need, or if you just want to talk" he looked seriously at Jack, searching for something to show he was ok. Jack, actually appreciated this. The friendship had taken its time, but was firmly in place.

"Thanks Daniel, but I have to find her. That's all I need right now", he replied. Daniel nodded, when he lost Shar'ai, he joined SG1. Had to keep busy, had to keep looking for her, had to do something to fill the void. It still caused an ache in him, how he had let her down.

Teal'c and Jack went scouting. Jack watched as he tracked the footprints. He was very skilled at this. Meantime Jack was left thinking about Seria. Wondering what she was like? If she'd forgive him for his absence and let him into her life. Wondering if she's even alive.

"O'Neill, one man and seven children came through here, and headed down to the Stargate. The man was not Jaffa, or from the Taur'ai. The children were evenly spaced, and following. They were tied together. Apart from one, this one was beside him and trying to escape." Teal'c informed Jack. He stopped suddenly and went running up to something laying barely visible in a thicket a couple of metres from Jack. Jack watched baffled as he pulled a small device out of the thicket. It was small and silver with large coloured buttons on it. Jack didn't recognise it; he looked at the Jaffa, who was evidently as baffled as he.

"Carter, I think we've found something, meet us in the square we need you to take a look", he said into the radio.

"This must have been lost by the captor in the struggle with his hostage" Teal'c informed jack. Yes a lead, not much admittedly but a lead none the less. They jogged back to the square. There was Daniel and Sam waiting for them. Daniel thought it must important, Jack had that look in his eyes, close to triumph, but yet humble and hopeful. Carter surveyed him, don't think of him like that Sam, she cursed herself.

"What did you find sir?" she questioned. He held out the device. "The kidnapper dropped this, any idea what it is, or more importantly who it came from?"

She gasped, and stared at it. "Sir this is Tolen".

Not good, Daniel thought to himself

*To be continued*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Newbie