Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Swimming Pool, The

by NetFerret
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Swimming Pool

The Swimming Pool

by NetFerret

TITLE: The Swimming Pool
AUTHOR: NetFerret
EMAIL: netferret@webtribe.net
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Any
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f
SUMMARY: SG-1 go to the pool
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

The local swimming pool in Colorado Springs was busy - it was a hot Saturday afternoon and people wanted to cool off. Especially SG-1.

"I do not understand this ritual," Teal'c declared as they pulled into the parking lot. Jack yanked on the handbrake.

"It's supposed to be fun, Teal'c. Y'know, get wet and all," Jack replied.

"I see." Teal'c raised an eyebrow.

"Daniel! You got Teal'c swimming cap?" Jack called into the back seat where Daniel and Sam were hemmed in by swimming bags.

"I think so!" came a muffled shout. Daniel's hand appeared, holding a white Speedo cap aloft.

"Good. Everybody got everything?"

"We're all set," Sam announced.

"Move out," Jack ordered. Sam pushed open the door and clambered out with her light-weight ultra-compact sport lite bag. Daniel crawled after her, dragging a hefty duffel bag.

"What'cha' got in there, Danny?" Jack asked curiously, giving it a poke. Daniel pulled it away defensively.

"Nothing." Jack shot Sam a look that said 'Yeah right' and headed towards the building. The others trailed after him.

The front desk was manned by a bored-looking receptionist who obviously had too much time on her hands - she'd practically made the place her own. Plantpots scattered the area and a large palm stood in the corner. Photos of various people and animals littered the small desk.

"Can I help you?" she drawled, looking up from filing her nails. Jack stepped forward and plonked his bag on the counter. She looked distastefully at it.

"Four adults," he said. She slowly tapped at the keyboard with long, manicured fingers with red-painted nails. A machine spurted to life and spewed out a reel of tickets. She broke them off and handed them to Jack.

"That'll be four dollars fifty." Jack handed over the money.

"Have a nice day. Thank you for your custom. Please come again," she said in a monotonous tone. They headed for the changing rooms and the receptionist returned to filing her nails.

Sam pulled on her costume and stuffed the rest of her clothes in her bag. 'Hope the Colonel likes this one,' she thought, remembering the shopping trip with Janet. She'd spent two hours choosing. Eventually she'd settled on a stylish black number that Janet had practically forced her to buy. 'Oh well. Here goes.' She headed out the deserted changing rooms, passed through the showers and stepped out onto the pool side, looking for the guys. She allowed herself a small smile as she spied Jack standing on the pool edge with his back to her, berating Daniel who was lying on a large foam surfboard. Teal'c stood in the water and looked as impassive as possible when you were wearing a white swimming cap.

'Hehehee, here's my chance,' Sam thought gleefully and padded up behind the Colonel, still completely oblivious.

"Call that a surfboard, Danny-boy? I've seen bigger doormats! I mean....." he was cut off from his tirade by a slight push in the small of his back - sending him just off balance and crashing into the water below, sending a tidal wave the height of Mount Everest out on all sides. Daniel bobbed up and down on the sudden swell and grinned at Sam.

"Good one," he laughed. Jack re-surfaced, spluttering and coughing.

"Sam!" he growled, looking up at her and growling. Sam decided now was the best time to run and set off at a pace. Jack leapt out the pool and gave chase. "You're dead meat!"

"HEY! YOU TWO! NO RUNNING!" came a yell from the opposite end of the pool. They skidded to a halt. It was the lifeguard.

"Sorry!" Jack called and Sam slid back into the water meekly. Jack waited until the lifeguard wasn't looking. "Geronimo!" he shouted and leapt into the water just in front of Sam. Result - a drenched Sam.

"Gotcha," Jack grinned.

"HEY! YOU! NO DIVEBOMBING!" came another yell.

"For cryin' out loud!" Jack muttered under his breath. He turned to the guard. "Sorry!"

"Anybody for a game of water volleyball?" Daniel asked, still floating on his surfboard.

"Sure - if we've got a ball," Jack replied, bouncing up and down in the water.

"Hold on," Sam said, and climbed out the pool. Jack stopped bouncing and stared as she walked over to the lifeguard. She motioned to the rack of volleyballs and said a few words. The guard nodded, Sam took a bright pink ball and headed back to the pool.

"Catch!" she shouted, and threw it straight at Jack. Unfortunately, he was still engrossed in staring at Sam and failed to notice the ball. Result - ow.

"Hey!" he called petulantly as the ball hit with a thunk. Sam laughed and dived back in. Jack aimed a well-meaning splash at her but missed. 'Hmmmpphh,' he thought. 'No matter where you run, you can never hide, Sammy-girl.'

"Okay - Teal'c, you go with Jack. I'll go with Sam," Daniel announced. "First one to 20. Net's the line on the floor." He jumped off his surfboard and pushed it to one side. Sam took up a ready position that could only have come from experience. Jack got a sinking feeling that she'd probably been volleyball champion at the academy.

"I'll serve," Sam called. Jack rolled his eyes and readied himself. Teal'c merely stood, apparently unsure of what to do. She threw the ball up in the air and smacked it down towards Teal'c. It rebounded harmlessly off his arm.

"Teal'c - you were supposed to get that," Jack remonstrated.

"I am sorry, Colonel O'Neill. I will 'get it' next time."

"Good....serve again, Sam." Jack tossed the ball to Sam who served again. Teal'c caught it and stood there holding the ball. Jack put his head in his hands. "We forgot to teach Teal'c how to play volleyball," he groaned.

"Teal'c, all you have to do is hit it back, like this," Sam told him, making a two-handed fist and swinging it in an upward manner. "Got it?"

"I believe so, Major Carter."

"Then let's try again." Sam served. Teal'c made the fist and swung it upwards. The ball soared into the air and into the upper beams.

"Incoming!" Daniel cried, and dived out of the way as the ball returned to earth and hit the water with an almighty splash. Sam picked it up.

"Hit it more softly," she advised. "So we can hit it back to you."

"Fourth time lucky." Jack readied himself once more.

"Okay, here goes." Sam served, Teal'c finally hit it properly. Daniel bashed it back. Jack leapt and smacked it down as tight as he could, drenching Sam yet again.

"Score!" he yelled. "Two points to us!"

Sam was not amused. She shook her hair, picked up the ball and handed it politely to Jack with a dangerous smile. Jack took it uncertainly and served. Daniel just reached it and it slipped over the net. Teal'c two-handed it and it flew high up underneath Sam. Jack gulped. Taking a breath, she launched herself into the air like a graceful bird, raised her fist and with an un-ladylike grunt sent it whistling back towards the water.

"Oh..." was all Jack could say before the ball/projectile thudded into his stomach and sent him flying backwards. He let out a strained oof and sat, water dripping from his hair, on his butt in the shallow end.

Sam suppressed a giggle and managed to keep a straight face.

"Sorry, sir! Didn't see you there!" she called sweetly.

"Yeah, I'll bet you didn't," Jack muttered darkly and got to his feet, rubbing the impact area and glaring at Sam. He threw the ball to Daniel and the game went on. Five minutes, and a whole lot more bumps and bruises later, Daniel served. Jack touched it up for Teal'c who, getting into the swing of things, hit it with slightly more enthusiasm than was necessary. It rocketed into the air, back into the rafters and stayed there. They stood looking at it for a few seconds.

"That was good, Teal'c," Jack remarked. "On the contrary, O'Neill, I think it was in fact, bad."

A few more moments passed.

"Ah well, it's not going to come down. Water tag, anyone?" Jack suggested.

"I'm up."

"Me too - as long as I can use my surfboard."

"I will participate."

"Full house. Who's it?"

"I think it should be you, Colonel," Sam announced.

"Yeah - go on Jack." Jack sniffed.

"Fine then. Ready or not, here I come."

"Hey! Count to ten first!"

"*tut* Alright, then...........one..............two..."

They all scattered, leaving Jack standing in the middle of the pool with his eyes shut. Daniel grabbed his surfboard and paddled as fast as he could towards the deep end. Sam put on her goggles and dived under.

"Seven......eight.......nine...........TEN!" Jack opened his eyes, turned and came face-to-face, or rather face-to-neck with Teal'c. "Teal'c! You were supposed to run!"

"I am sorry, Colonel O'Neill. I will run now."

"Never mind, Teal'c. It's no good now." Jack squinted around at the olympic-sized swimming pool. If he knew Daniel, he'd have tried to get as far away from him as possible. Sam would have employed a more cunning means. He spotted Daniel frantically paddling towards the deep end on his surfboard but no Sam. He thought hard and scanned the crowd of swimmers. She wasn't there. It suddenly dawned on Jack.

"I'll get you in a minute," he murmured and set off towards the deep end.

Meanwhile, underwater, Sam watched the Colonel, or rather the Colonel's legs make their way in Daniel's direction. She took a moment to ogle. 'Wow, the Colonel must do some miles on the running machine,' she thought to herself and then remembered she needed oxygen at some point. She surfaced slowly and inhaled.

"You can be really dense sometimes, Daniel," she said out loud. "Or not," she added as she watched Daniel make his way up the steps to the slide. Jack followed, a predatorial look in his eyes. Sam started to daydream, not an uncommon thing ever since she'd met Jack.

Daniel scurried up the last steps onto the tower and stood impatiently in line for the slide. He glanced back and saw Jack scaling the tower, taking three steps at a time. 'Come on,' he silently urged the queue. An old woman of about sixty-five stood at the very front and seemed to be taking an age just to sit down. A parent with his toddler were next, then a young kid and then Daniel. There was no-one behind him. Jack drew even closer. The old lady sat down at last and pushed off. The guy and his kid waited a few seconds before going. Thankfully, the boy practically threw himself down the slide without any wait. Just as Jack reached out to tag him, Daniel went headfirst into the half-pipe chute and slipped and slid his way round the corner. Jack went after him, far more streamlined than Daniel and sped faster.

"You're mine, Danny!" Jack bellowed as he shot round the corner. Daniel very nearly went over the side at the u-bend and let out a short cry as he flipped onto his front. The end was in sight. Now he really was going headfirst. 'Damn,' Daniel thought as he flew into the water.

Sam turned just in time to see Jack shoot out the slide and soar several feet into the air before crash landing right in front of her.

"HEY! YOU! NO MUCKING AROUND ON THE SLIDE!"

"Sorry!" Jack shouted back wearily, obviously losing his patience with the lifeguard.

"Ooops." She fled, leaving Daniel to his fate. Jack took a deep breath, walked over to Daniel, still coughing and spluttering and tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

"Tag," he said, and sped after Sam.

Half an hour later.

"Tag," Daniel shouted and slapped Jack on the back. What made this unfair to Jack, was the fact that he was being held in a vice-like grip by Teal'c and a half-nelson by Sam. He'd evaded tagging for what seemed like ages until Sam had decided that Daniel better tag someone before Christmas and who better than Jack. She'd then employed Teal'c and the deed was done.

"No fair!" he moaned when they let him go. Sam reached up, patted his soaking wet hair with a grin and swam away. Daniel returned to his coveted surfboard and laid on it languidly, and Teal'c sat on the pool side as the chlorine in the water was apparently "detrimental to my symbiote after long periods of exposure". It was just him and Sam. And boy was she gonna pay. He did his best Jaws impression and swam stealthily up behind her.

"Jack!" she shrieked as he grabbed her round her waist and hoisted her into the air, letting her drop with a smirk.

"The one and only," he quipped as she returned to the surface, an indignant frown on her face.

"Commanding officer or no commanding officer, you deserve this!" she replied and hit him repeatedly with a nearby float.

"I surrender!" he spluttered after a few seconds. She let the float drop. "NOT!"

He pushed her over like a kid would do to a precocious girl at kindergarten. She shoved him back. He shoved her. All of a sudden she disappeared under the water.

"Hey!" he cried, looking around for her. Without warning, something pulled him under. Sam appeared, laughing. He sat up and she plonked herself on his lap.

"Truce?" she asked, tracing an arbitrary pattern on his chest.

"Truce," he agreed. Slowly, she leaned towards him.....

"HEY! YOU TWO! NO ROMANTIC ACTIVITIES!" came a shout. Sam halted. Jack rolled his eyes and got to his feet.

"Will you just SHUT UP!!!" he yelled, startling Daniel and making Teal'c look up sharply. Daniel fell off the surfboard. The lifeguard stopped abruptly. People started to clap and someone cheered. He took a small bow and turned back to Sam, swinging her up in his arms. "Now, before we were so rudely interrupted...." He said, and leaned in for the kiss.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to NetFerret