Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Where Were You?

by Naquada
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Where were you?

Where were you?

by Naquada

TITLE: Where were you?
AUTHOR: Naquada
EMAIL : naquada@yahoo.com
STATUS: Complete.
CATEGORY: action/adventure, Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Mainly In the line of duty, The enemy within.
SEASON/SEQUEL: This story takes place at the beginnings of the second season
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: My alternative end to "In the line of duty"
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors.
Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I would like to now you're opinion about this story.

SG-1 had been in Nassya for a while now, everything seemed to be perfect, the planet had great weather the dwellers were peaceful and they were anxious of helping SG-1, but suddenly death gliders appeared in the sky and hell broke loose. Captain Samantha Carter kneeled down besides a dying nassyan man and started to give him CPR, the second time she blew air into his lungs something happened, she didn't know exactly what, but it wasn't good, something went to her spine through her mouth, and then she realized she wasn't in control of her body anymore, everything happened to slow for her after that, Jack came for her and they both ran to the Gate, she was so confused when they came through, but she had to act like nothing had happened or they would find out the truth. She almost was caught at the debriefing, but she managed to deceive them, then Col. O'Neill send her to the infirmary for a check up. Janet Frasier was a good friend, she somehow knew that, but as everyone in the base she hated the goa'uld, so she couldn't trust her either. Doctor Frasier said something about a girl named Cassandra, Janet asked her to visit her at the hospital next day, she thought she could go, but it was a chance, that under her situation, could not be taken.

****

The wormhole stabilized, and all the teams went through the Gate. In the other side Col. O'Neill started to bark out orders, " Carter, Daniel take those people to the village while Teal'c and I wait for the other ones to come through". She needed to leave, but the only way, the Chappai, was being used for the friends of Samantha Carter and she knew that they wouldn't let her go, she had to wait. When all the refugees had came through the Gate, the moon was already over the dark sky, so Col. O'Neill decided to stay the night. It was time for her to leave, she waited until everyone was sleep and headed right to the Gate, when the 7th. chevron was locked she went through the Gate to an unknown location.

****

They looked for Carter everywhere, there was no stone they hadn't lifted up to find her. They came back to the same planet with all kind of search equipment, but it didn't work, they didn't find her. Since that morning, when they woke up and realized that Carter was gone, seemed like Jack had died, he didn't talk to anyone more than the necessary, his look was full of concern, sadness, dread, and the worst feeling he never thought he would feel, uncertainty, he didn't know what had happened to the woman that brought him back to life after his son died, the woman that he loved, he knew that if he wanted to saved both of their careers, he would never be able of kissing her or making love to her, but for him having her around everyday was enough. Now that had changed, she suddenly vanished, he didn't know where she was or why she had disappeared and that made him feel furious. In the other hand there were Daniel and Teal'c, they were both upset as well. Sam was one of the best friends Daniel had, his confident, his sister, not in blood, but that wasn't important to him, when Carter disappeared she took with her a part of Daniel that Jack never thought he would miss.

Teal'c never said a word, but his eyes showed how bad he felt about all this thing. General Hammond was very sad too, he lost one of the bravest, smartest soldiers he had ever worked with, and her father was his friend, he had to informed General Jacob Carter and Mark Carter, her brother, that she was MIA. Doctor Frasier, Carter's best friend, had to tell Cassandra what had happened, God... that poor little girl, Janet had never thought someone could cry so much, but she didn't blame her, if she hadn't needed to be strong for the child, she would've done exactly the same It was obvious for everyone in SGC that SG-1 would never be the same without Captain Carter.

****

Two months, two endless months had passed, full of frustration and despair, after a long frantic search for Carter, General Hammond gave up, well... in fact the President gave up, he said to the General, " I know that Captain Carter was one of our best soldiers and I know she was our expert in the Gate entails, General, but the budget is short and this search is too expensive ", God, Jack couldn't believe what he was listening, The remaining SG-1 tried to talk to the President, tried to make him change his mind, but every single time they did it, his answer was NO, followed by a bunch of bullshit they didn't want to hear. Someone, somewhere told Jack that when you cry for help and no one listens you start to lose hope, now he knew what that meant.

After the search teams came back, everything normalized, even SG-1 that only had three members now (no matter how much General Hammond insisted, the didn't accepted any replacement, none of the candidates was good enough for them), returned to their normal activities.

****

General Hammond, SG-1 and SG-11 were at the debriefing room, when an unexpected incoming traveler was announced, the alarm sounds made everyone in the room jumped of their sits and ran to the control room. When they got, there the embarkation room was already full of armed soldiers ready to fire. General Hammond asked who the traveler was and the answer of Lieutenant Simmons was " SG-1's code was sent through the Gate, sir and it's opening the iris". With a voice full of dread the General ordered " People, stand by seems that we got visitors ", everyone in the room was waiting for a fleet of Jaffas, but when the wormhole stabilized a lonely robed figure came out and slumped to the floor. Nobody moved until the Gate was disengaged and the iris closed, as soon as they were Jack stepped into the embarkation room and kneeled besides the wounded stranger. "Oh, my god " he said when he uncovered the stranger's face. Then he looked up to the control room and said " Is Captain Carter, sir ". The gasp Daniel released was the only sound that was heard until General Hammond ordered " Lt. Simmons call a medical team" and immediately he headed to the embarkation room when he came into the room he saw Jack holding Carter in his arms, when he came closer the glimpse took his breath away, he knew that people could change a lot in five months, but...

Carter looked like a whole new person, her clothes were completely different from the fatigues she used to wear while being around the base, her hair was longer, it overpass her shoulders and her face...

God... her whole body was covered with dust and blood, but there was no doubt that Captain Samantha Carter Ph.D. was the one Col. O'Neill was holding in his arms. "Colonel O'Neill please let her go, she needs medical attention" Dr. Frasier's voice brought his attention back to the embarkation room, Jack stood up and the medical team started to work on the Captain.

Janet was shocked, but her best friend was laying at the bottom of the ramp pretty bad injured and she needed immediate medical attention. When they left the room, Jack remained at the bottom of the ramp, nobody but Daniel and Teal'c who were in the control room saw the smile in his face and the tears that were rolling down his cheeks. He was so happy and so worried at the same time, after a while with the back of his hand he wiped out the tears of his face and headed to the infirmary, Teal'c and Daniel followed him, they were both surprise, they never thought Sam meant so much for Jack.

****

The little waiting room outside the infirmary was full of people, Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, General Hammond and some other soldiers that get along with Sam, like Lt. Simmons and Ferreti were there, waiting for some answers, after a couple of hours Dr. Frasier came out, her face was full of concern, everyone in the room surrounded her and started to make questions. The only thing she said was " General, I need to talk to you and SG-1..." when she saw the others following them she said with firm voice once again " Only the General and SG-1 ".

****

They were all in Dr. Frasier' s office when she started talking, before anyone could said anything "Captain Carter was bleeding internally, we had to remove her spleen, she has a nasty concussion, her left collarbone, her left arm and wrist and several ribs are broken, her right leg is broken at least in three parts, besides some burns, scratches and bruises, we almost lost her...twice, the second time she slipped into a coma, she is breathing with the respirator , she is not out of the woods yet, but at least she is stable now, but... "her voice trailed off, she tried to act like the cold, detached doctor, but hell she was talking about her best friend. "But what, doctor? " General Hammond asked. "...but what worries me the most is that de MRI shows a bulge attached to her spine, about thirty minutes ago it started to disintegrate, it is almost gone, but sir... I'm pretty sure that it used to be a goa'uld " With the statement, the eyes of everyone in the room reflected the same astonishment that she was feeling.

" What do you mean with * disintegrating *? " Teal'c asked with a surprised voice. "Well, my theory is that the goa'uld died and its body is being absorbed by Sam's organism "

" I don't understand, if the goa'uld is dead then why Sam is not, after a goa'uld blends with a host, they can not live apart anymore"

Daniel muttered like he was talking only himself. "That's right, the host and the parasite are on a symbiotic relationship that can't be broken, but somehow ... they separated and only the goa'uld died... "Before she could continue, Jack that had remained silent blurt out " The goa'uld is gone, but how do we know that what happened with Kowalsky won't happen with Sam " The statement bring back the memory of Teal'c and Kowalsky fighting in front of the opened Gate. "I'm afraid, we won't know until she wakes up" was her answer. General Hammond ordered 24 hour surveillance in the infirmary. "Sir, Captain Carter needs to be transferred to the USAF Academy Hospital, we were able to stabilized her in here, but she'll received better attention there" Janet said. "I see, let me know when you're ready to leave two soldiers will go with you, SG-1 you're on stand down, I guess you want to be on Earth until she's fine "...until she's fine... he sounded so sure, Jack thought for a moment and then he thanked the General.

" Captain Carter should be restrained.. just in case "

Teal'c added. No one liked the idea of that, but they knew it was necessary.

****

SG-1 remaining members agreed in taking shifts of 8 hours to keep an eye on Carter, but Jack stayed there all the time, the woman he loves was laying in there struggling between life and death, he wasn't leaving her not again, not now that she looked so small and fragile, the white bandage around her head, the bruises and scratches in her face, her left arm in a cast resting in a sling and the right one with an IV attached, were what Jack could see, but he knew that beneath the blankets there were much more bandages, scratches and bruises, beneath them he also could see the bulge that her broken leg resting in a bunch of pillows formed, with all kind of weird machines hooked up to her, a tub was coming into her mouth and another one into her nose, the whole sight gave him shivers.

The beeping of the heart monitor and the noise made by the respirator, the only constant sounds in the room, were driving him crazy, but that didn't matter he wasn't leaving .

****

Two weeks later, Jack and Teal'c were in the room when Sam came out of the coma and woke up for a few minutes, she look very confused, like she didn't know where she was, suddenly she started to talk, Jack had to lean down to hear what she was saying because her voice was barely a whisper, Teal'c also leaned down, . "The... ash' rak... "After that she said some words that Jack didn't understand. Dr. Frasier stepped into the room and made Jack and Teal'c leave to check up on Sam who was unconscious again.

****

" She said something I didn't understand" Jack said to everyone else in the debriefing room. "I did understand what she said... "Teal'c blurted out. "

The ash'rak found us, he was to strong "

" Ash' rak... that would be something like hunter, right Teal'c? " Daniel asked " That's right, Daniel Jackson" Teal'c answered. How Captain Carter is doing, Doctor Frasier? " Hammond interrupted, " Well sir, seems that she is doing fine..."

"What about the goa'uld ? " Hammond asked her again. "There are no traces of it in her blood, but she hasn't woke up again and until she does and I make some tests... I won't know with certainty " "Colonel, I want you to interrogate Captain Carter as soon as she wakes..."

"General, I don't think that's the best course of action, She may be out of coma, but her condition is still pretty precarious " Janet interrupted. "Colonel do as I say as soon as Dr. Frasier gives you a green light", Jack answered with a nod " OK, people you're dismissed"

****

When Jack, Daniel and Teal'c got in the room Sam was sleeping "Hi, Sam " Daniel leaned down to kiss Sam's forehead while Jack put in a little table next to Sam's bed a beautiful bouquet of flowers with balloons and a card that said GET BETTER SOON, LOVE SG-1attached to it, when Daniel retrieved Jack also leaned down to his Carter's cheek, the tubs of her mouth and nose were gone, but with Teal'c and Daniel in the room he didn't dare to kiss her lips. // Thanks God for keeping her alive// was what he thought. Sam startled a little with Jack actions, but she didn't wake up. They sat in the large couch of the room and waited. Janet stepped into the room and grinned " Hi, guys..." when she saw Sam sleeping she said "...seems that our sleepy head is still in the land of dreams."

Jack and Daniel smiled back at her, but Teal'c raised and eyebrow and said " Land of dreams... I don't think you have taken me to that place, O'Neill "

" She means Sam's still sleeping, Teal'c " Jack chuckled.

They had been talking for a while when a little moan coming out of Sam's bed caught their attention. The SG-1 members stood up to came closer, but Janet stopped them and leaned down closer to Sam's face "Sam... Sam..." Carter opened her eyes and stared at Janet with her eyes narrowed as if she was trying to recognized the woman in front of her. "Janet?..."

"Yes, Sam it's me, how are you feeling?"

" Sore... thirsty... "Janet turned to look the guys and with her hand told them to came closer and left the room.

Sam closed her eyes again, but her breathing told the guys she was still awake, they all thought she didn't knew they were there, but suddenly she said " Hi, guys, long time no see, right? " Daniel and Teal'c looked at each other when Jack started to speak., "That's right, Captain, you know... you had us all worried"

Before anyone could talk again Janet came in with a glass full of little ice buckets and put one on Sam's mouth " Here, lick this" Then turned to see the guys and said "she needs some rest, gentlemen"

" Of what?...being laying in bed for God knows how long"

Sam quipped. "Listen to the Dr., Captain, you need to rest before doing some explaining " Jack said. Sam didn't answer, she was sleeping again. They all left the room, but a couple of minutes later Jack came back and kissed Carter's lips and whispered " I love you Sam, I'm glad you're back". After this he flopped down in the couch, the only sound in the room was Sam's breathing no more beepings that was a relief for Jack who quickly fell asleep.

****

When General Hammond stepped into the room with SG-1 and Dr. Frasier behind him, Sam was in bed in sitting position and a nurse was trying to put in her mouth some kind of mash. "That really looks disgusting, Carter " Jack said with a grin, " It is, sir " Sam answered. When she saw General Hammond she saluted him with a nod, " Captain, I'm glad you're better "

"Thank you, sir " Daniel took Sam's right hand and squeezed it " I know you don't like this..." he lift the spoon of the plate that the nurse was holding and put it in front of her mouth "...but you must eat".

Reluctantly she ate it " He's right, Captain Carter, you need all your strength to get better " Teal'c said. Sam smiled at him and turned to see Janet, who gave her a look of - you know they are right- " OK, I promise I'll eat, no matter how disgusting it is" Sam grumbled. Everyone sat around Sam's bed and General started to speak again " Captain, Dr. Frasier says that you're stronger now, and we would like to know where you were the last five months ". Sam took a deep breathe and started saying " In Nassya while giving CPR to a dying man Jolinar took possession of my body. She belonged to the Tok'ra, a group of goa'ulds that oppose the system lords and their ways, Jolinar thought you wouldn't understand so she didn't show herself and when we got the chance we left. One thing the Tok'ra don't do, is take unwilling hosts, so she tried to find another host, but it was very dangerous to both of us I agreed to stay with her and help the Tok'ra...,but an ash'rak, an assassin that follows the system lords orders, was after us... after five months of hiding from him he found us, we fought with him and we killed him, but he left us pretty bad injured, Jolinar couldn't heal me anymore, so we decided to look for help and we came here. Nobody talk for a minute, they were all trying to process what Sam had said and they way she had said it, was very weird heard Sam talking in plural like that in such normal way . Before anyone could say anything Sam started again " Sir, I think an alliance with the Tok'ra would be very useful, but if we're going to do it, we have to do it now, because of the goa'uld harassment, they are constantly relocating the headquarters "

" OK Captain, I'll send SG-8 to start the... "

"You can't ,sir. They won't show up if they think they're in danger. I have to go with them" Sam interrupted, "Excuse me, but you're not in conditions of gate travelling, Sam...I can't let you go" Janet said, Sam continued " General if they leave before we contact them, we won't find them", // God, sometimes I wish I wasn't a General// He thought, before answering "

Colonel O'Neill, SG-8 and SG-1, including Captain Carter will visit the location she indicates, the objective is make and alliance with the Tok'ra people against goa'uld..." Janet was about to argue when General Hammond stopped her "... Doctor Frasier, you and the nurse you choose, will travel with them to make sure Captain Carter is OK"

****

The two SG teams were standing in front of the Gate waiting for the wormhole to stabilize, Carter was sitting on a wheel chair and Janet was besides her, "

Sam, I'm not sure about this...you should be resting"

" I promise I will as soon as we get back, Doctor" Sam said with a grin. "OK, campers let's go" Jack said.

Then Teal'c came closer and carried Sam in his arms while he said " It's time to go Captain Carter".

****

They crossed to the other side to found themselves surrounded by armed men and women dressed with clothes like the ones Sam was wearing when she came back. From the multitude a masculine voice was heard " Samantha? God, What happened? Are you OK? " a young, good-looking guy ran towards Sam, practically snatched her from Teal'c's arms and started to kiss her passionately. // Who the hell is this guy? What the hell he think he's doing ?// Was the kind of things Jack was thinking when he realized that Sam was kissing him back as he felt the jealousy running through all his body. As if she heard Jack's inquiring thoughts she separated from Martouf and said " Sorry guys, this is Martouf my... Jolinar's... our mate"

Jack swore silently. Everybody startled when Martouf's eyes glow, " It's OK, guys, it's OK" Sam quickly said. Martouf started talking now with the distinctive tone of the goa'uld "Samantha, what happened? Is Jolinar...? "

" She is dead...she died... trying to save me... Lantash, I'm sorry...I really am. ", Martouf/Lantash tightened his embrace around Sam, " I'm sure it wasn't your fault, Samantha" he said trying to stop the tears from coming out. "... but tell me who these people are?"

" They're my friends, Martouf, I'll explain you everything as soon as we're in a safer place. ". Then Martouf turned to his people and said " Let's take them to the tunnels "

Teal'c tried to take Carter in his arms again, but Martouf/Lantash didn't aloud it. They walked until they found a group of rings like the ones they saw in Ra's ship, they stood in the middle and suddenly they were in some kind of underground caves.

****

Martouf/Lantash took Sam to their old bedroom, in there Sam explained everything about the ash'rak, the fight, the time she spent in Earth, the alliance Earth wanted to form with the Tok'ra. When she finished Martouf/Lantash went to talk with the elders about the proposition of the Tau'ri people. As soon as he left, Sam fall asleep. God... she was really tired.

****

When Martouf came back, Janet had finished of checking Sam " How is she?"

" Everything seems fine, she is just tired, but I would like to take her back home I need to examine her more deeply to be sure "

" Don't worry the elders already made their decision"

" Oh!! Really ? That was fast ".

****

The meetings that followed the visit of the SG teams to the Tok'ra people were pretty successful, they reinforced their alliance, they share all kind of information about the goa'ulds and General Hammond gave the Tok'ra a special code to open the iris when they needed. Now was time for Martouf to leave.

****

Martouf stepped into the hospital room where Sam has been resting since they came back because of Janet's orders, she was watching T. V., when he stepped into her room. "Samantha?"

" Martouf, hi... are you leaving already?"

" Yes, I'm afraid I have to "

" I know, Martouf "

"I wish you could come with me ", "

I would like to... but I'm not a Tok'ra anymore... I don't belong with you ", " Samantha remember once a Tok'ra always a Tok'ra, maybe Jolinar isn't inside you physically anymore, but her memories, her feelings are still in you . You're still a Tok'ra and you're wlecome any time you want to come back "

"Thanks, Martouf "

" You know you could be host for another larvae if you want it" Sam didn't answer " Lantash doesn't like farewells, so... he asked me to said you goodbye ". "Please tell him, I'm really sorry about Jolinar"

"I will... I have to leave, always remember that I love you Samantha Carter " He said as he leaned down to kiss her. "I love you too, Martouf" she answered as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Jack was about to step into Sam's room, but when he heard Martouuf's voice he retrieved. He waited until he left and got into the room. "Hi. Carter. How are you feeling?"

"If you don't count that being in here all day is driving me crazy and the pain in my leg is killing me, I'm fine"

"Did you take painkillers?"

"Yeah, a couple of hours ago. Janet said she would give me more if I feel any pain. I just call her" Jack only answered was a grin, " What... what did I said"

"Nothing. Is just that I like the new haircut"

"Oh? Thanks sir, I like it to, but I'll have to cut it when I come back to active duty"

"Don't worry, when you leave the infirmary next Friday you'll still have five months and a week of medical leave "

"Well sir ,thanks that's really accurate information" Sam said with a resignation voice, " Sam... May ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why didn't you came back to Earth before ?"

"I guess... it wasn't right anymore... I mean... I had a goa'uld inside me, Tok'ra or not, it was still a goa'uld and I thought you wouldn't understand... "Are you sure that's the only reason?"

"Well, I wanted to be with Martouf "

"Why?"

" Because, I'm in love with him" Jack felt like somebody stabbed him in the heart, " I see... what will happened with you two now?"

"I don't know I guess time will say" before he could talk Janet walked into the room. "Hi, Sam. Is your leg in pain?"

Sam answered with a nod, " OK. I'll give you some painkillers and a mild sedative that will help you to sleep" Janet said. "Carter, I have some paper work to do, I'll see you later" Jack said while he stood up, "Yes, sir and thanks for coming"

"Don't thank me, it's my pleasure "Jack said with a grin and left, he didn't want that Carter realized of the sadness he was feeling.

// I can't believe she is in love with this idiot// He thought as he headed to the parking place wher his car was.

****

Six months after Carter came back through the Gate, she came back to work, she was still using crutches, but Janet aloud her light duty // Great!! Paperwork// Sam thought when she was informed. The SGC received her with a big party, everybody was there. // She doesn't know how much I love her, but she is alive and some millions of light years away from that Martouf.

Maybe I tell her someday // Jack thought as he saw Sam laughing at the stupid jokes of Daniel and Ferreti.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Naquada