Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Hero, The

by Mlle Lambert
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Hero

The Hero

by Mlle Lambert

Summary: A short story a wrote based on the word 'different.' Daniel thinks about a mission gone awry.
Category: Angst, Missing Scene/Epilogue, POV, Thoughts
Episode Related: 718 HEROES Part 2
Season: future Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet
Rating: PG
Warnings: character death
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/22/04

THE HERO

Everything was different without her. That small but spirited woman would never again draw a breath. She was gone for good, yet it seemed so unreal.

Daniel had barely registered Sam's speech at the funeral. He was too busy replaying those awful moments after Janet had been hit. He had been kneeling right beside her, mere inches away. It could have been him had he seen it coming.

He'd killed the offending Jaffa immediately, but it didn't change the fact that his best friend was gone. No, not a friend, he amended, more than that. She was someone he owed so much to. She was someone he had begun feeling more than those of a friend.

What had he said to Bregman? "I owed so much more to her than I ever gave back." Yeah, that was it, and it was true. He could almost hear the "I wish...I regret..." just beneath the surface of those words. He had just now realized how much he felt for her.

All of a sudden, Daniel felt this warm sensation, an inexplicable feeling, well up inside him. In that instant, he knew she was watching over him and that she knew how he felt. If there was such a thing as heaven, she was up there...somewhere...smiling down upon him. Her light would still shine even though her body now lay cold.

A smile found its way to his lips. Something told him that everything would be all right. Even with this loss, they would all survive and get through this.

It was then that Daniel thought of all the men and women who had died serving their country. Doctor Janet Fraiser was one of those many and that was what he would remember her for. Heroes weren't something only little kids who read comic books dreamed about. They were a reality.

Heroes had saved many lives in their sacrifices. Heroes had left behind family and friends. Heroes had given their all so others might live a brighter tomorrow. They were courageous in the face of mortal danger. They stood and fought for what they believed in.

Janet had died saving a man's life. She had given her life for another in a way, and he had been there to see it all. It was truly an act of honor even though it was a tragedy, a loss that no one would ever be able to forget.

Yes, it would be different. Living his live would be different. Everything would be different. Now that Daniel thought about it, different would be so bad after all. Sure different would mean without Janet. Different would mean so many things.

One thing Daniel would do differently in the future would be to live each day to the fullest. Different would mean that he would honor his dear doctor every year at her grave. Different. No, it wouldn't be so bad after all.

~FIN~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Mlle Lambert