Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Way Home, The

by Miss Terri
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Way Home

The Way Home

by Miss Terri

TITLE: The Way Home
AUTHOR: Miss Terri
EMAIL: tb350@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Season Four
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: angst, mfrelationship, a few swear words
SUMMARY: The team finally eliminates Apophis, but they're lost in space, with no way home for years and years and years.... you get the point
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is my first attempt at a fanfic, so let me know what you think. Wrote it pretty quickly, so have at it and let me know what to fix the next time. Thanks!

It had been a long struggle. SG-1 was back together, through a series of unplanned lucky breaks. Best of all, Apophis was vanquished forever, a victim of a black hole's gravitational force. As Sam looked around, she sighed to herself. "I should be happy, we've won. But, unfortunately, we're stuck on this ship light years from home with no way of speeding up the process."

Jacob, Sam's father, watched her from the corner of his eyes. She had always been easy to read to him. His wife always said that she hid her real feelings, but Jacob always saw what his wife could not. Selmac was in agreement; he could see the unhappiness located below the surface. "Your daughter is unhappy, Jacob". Jacob smiled, and agreed with his symbiote.

Sam's mind raced. It just wasn't fair. Even if we do get back to earth, I'll be an old woman. I won't be able to have a family, live a life outside the military. What have I done? What was it for? Of course, I should be looking on the bright side. I'm seeing worlds that others will only dream of. I'm living the adventure. Isn't it funny that Dad always wanted me to get in with NASA? We've come so far ahead of them, they look like the dark ages compared to the worlds we've visited and the things we've seen. I guess in many ways, we're like the Goaulds. We've stolen their technology along with that of the Stargate's makers, the Ancients. We've become what we most despise. I've got to get away for a while.

As Jacob scanned the endless points of light in their way, he noted a planet. In further testing, he found that the surface was acceptable for humans. "What could it hurt?" He tapped a cube on the peltac and asked for O'Neil. "Jack, what you say about us taking a break from this light path? I've located a planet below that is compatible for all of us. Let's take a break and see if we can locate some fresh foodstuffs and break our monotony. What do you say, after all it's your ship?"

From the workout room, Jack signaled Teal'c to stop the boxing. With Teal'c you never knew, if he didn't know the bout was over, he might think Jack was pulling another fast one to take advantage. Teal'c moved to the side to rest as O'Neil went to the speaker panel. "Take a break from this lovely voyage, Jacob? What could you be thinking? Daniel is still transcribing all the hieroglyphics from the rooms. I know Major Carter must be planning more experiments. Are you sure?" Jack lifted his finger off the cube and smiled to himself. "Hot damn, something different. Someone must like him." Jacob replied, "Well, Jack, we don't have to. I just thought you might want some fresh foods."

"Set her down, Jacob. I think we've earned a rest." Jack looked at Teal'c who nodded. "Teal'c, go find Danny. I'm sure he will want a break as bad as the rest of us." Teal'c lifted the corner of his lips, just slightly. "As you say, O'Neil."

Jacob landed the ship and the team met together. "I say that we set ups some teams and check out what there is. Let's take a walk." As they exited the ship, they stood in awe of a beautiful green world, just waiting for them. "Trees," Jack said, "always trees. Let's take a look around. Jacob, you go North, I think with Selmac for company, you'll be OK on your own. That is, if it's all right with you. Teal's, you and Daniel take a walk towards the east, I know it looks more barren, but you may find signs of civilization and there are sure to be rocks for Danny. Carter, you and I can take the South, through the forest. I know how happy the trees make you. That OK with everyone?"

They all smiled, glad to be free of the confines of the ship. Daniel nodded to Teal'c. "This looks great, Jack, kind of reminds me of Abydos. Strange to have so many different topographies in such a close proximity." Jacob smiled at Sam "Great time for walking." Upon reaching a consensus of approval, the group decided to meet back up at the same spot in eight hours. Each started on their designated path.

"What do you think, Carter? Will we find some nice fruits in the forest? Or maybe some nuts?" Samantha Cater smiled at her CO. "I'd like to find some nuts" she thought, "I could definitely go for that taste." "Yes, sir, she replied, it looks promising." "Carter, just this once, could we dispense with the formalities. I know we're military, but I'm so tired of this never ending 'up-time'. I need to be able to lose myself for a while."

"Jack, that's definitely fine with me. I've been having all these thoughts..." Sam blushed as she recalled the double entendre of that remark. "What I mean, sir, ugh, Jack, it's hard not to think of the future. We're 80 years from Earth. Even if we do get back in our lifetime, what will we have left? Sometimes, it's hard." Jack linked his hand in hers as they moved deeper into the wooded area. I know, Sam. We're missing out on some of the best years of our life. At least, you are. Old man that I am, I've seen a lot and done a lot, probably just end up getting creakier."

Sam laughed not the polite little giggles she usually had, but a big belly laugh. "Jack, that has to be the funniest thing I have ever heard. Are you just fishing for compliments? You surely can't be serious?"

Jack looked at her and smiled that beautiful smile that lit up his eyes and beamed straight to her heart. Sometimes Sam thought she could lose herself in that smile. She shook her head as she realized he was speaking. "Sam, I know you mean well, but it's hard for me too at this point. I've seen a lot of the world. I've been places and done things. Some things I'm not too proud of. Some things I hold as beautiful memories. Lately I feel like I'm looking back a lot. I see Charlie, as he was when he was small. So needy, and where was I? Gone most of the time. It seems like those memories that are the most beautiful are often the most painful. If there's one thing I regret, it's not living life sometimes just for the moment." He shrugged and looked uncomfortable. My God, how could he have let those feelings out. He didn't mean to, she just cut through sometimes and he said what was in his heart.

Sam, thoughtfully, moved closed to Jack. "I know Jack. But we have to think positively. If we don't, I'll just give up." "Look, there's a clearing....and water." As they walked closer, arm in arm, they heard a roaring. Parting the last of the branches, they moved through the clearing. They both stood in open-mouthed wonder. "Wow, is that beautiful!" Jack smiled as he talked. "Take a look at that lake. It reminds me of my cabin. I bet the fish are plentiful."

"Fish? Is that all you can thing of at a time like this? We've been using those decontamination chambers for showers for more than a month. We could take a real bath in there. I am not passing this one up. No way, not how, fish or not!" Sam was moving forward quickly, waving her arms. "I'm in love."

Jack watched her. She was so young, so free. His major. The one woman who could fill the emptiness in his heart. He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts. Must remember duty, military, rules, and regulations. He looked for an escape. He could stand to watch this.

"Carter, let's take that trail up the side. I bet that noise we hear is a waterfall. Let's walk up there where the water will be the freshest." They took the path and moved around the back of the hill. Jack was right. Sam could see the waterfall in all its glory. The water was pure and sparkling. They headed upwards and came to a rock outcropping.

"Look, Jack, we can go behind this." She tugged him forward to a pool, dark with sparkling light coming from the bottom and lazy bubbles popping at the surface. The area around it looked to be a cave that headed father back in the mountain. The opening was a large as a football field; with plenty of greenery in the slow moving pool. "OK, Sam, this looks safe enough. Go ahead and have your dip. I'll stand guard." Jack purposely turned his back to her.

Samantha Carter could not wait. "A bath" she thought. "I must be in heaven." She divested herself of all her clothing. She was down to her tee and panties and thought, what the hey, I'm gonna enjoy this. Leaving her garments pooled at her fit, she slipped into water. "Wow, sir, it's warm. There must be some seismic gasses that help feed this. It's like being in a hot tub! Oh, Lord, is this fabulous." She sighed and stretched, slowly arching her arms in a slow crawl.

Jack had heard the rustling of the clothes. He was stiff all over. Hell, he was stiff all under. "I'm only a man," he thought to himself. "How much of this should I be able to take." With that last thought, he turned slightly. From his vantage, he saw a perfect, round derriere peak up through the water as Sam lazily moved towards the center. He swallowed, hard. He couldn't move. Couldn't break the piercing of his eyes as he watched her. She turned over and floated. "Jack, you've got try this. The water is fabulous. I feel like I've been reborn. I feel like all my cares are lifting away."

Jack didn't need to think twice. He stood before and began to undress. Sam watched him, watched his every move. She made no attempt to look away. This was her fantasy. She could not have stopped the moment if she had tried. He edged into the water and came up beside her.

"You're right. This feels wonderful. I feel energized after a long rest. I feel...feelings." Jack looked deeply into her eyes. "Sam, I know this is against all regulations, but we deserve a chance at happiness. Tell me if you feel the same before I go crazy." His hands moved to her shoulders as he lightly caressed her arms.

"Jack, you are my future. I'm yours for as long as you want me. I love you." And with that, Sam moved into his arms. All the longing she had felt for four years, she poured into her kiss. To Jack, it was like reaching out and touching another soul. Never had he felt this close; this connected to another human being. He knew in his heart, it was right. He deepened her kiss and moved to her shoulders and neck. "Sam, I love you, too, always."

They moved together to a shallower area, there, they found a ledge. Jack laid her down, continuing to kiss and caress her. "Sam, I want you with all my heart. Make love with me. Be my wife, my life in this time and place." "Jack," she said, "I had no idea you could be so romantic. Love me." And he did with all the care and joy possible.

Some time later, they moved to the back of the pool area to explore. Nude, they walked hand in hand, looking at the area. Jack noticed a light to the rear and moved in that direction. Nestled to the rear was a sight to behold. A Stargate, a DHD, a way home. They could return.

The couple turned and looked at each other. "Sam," he said, "we can go home. We can go back. We won't have to grow old in space." Sam looked at him, her heart in her eyes. "I know." She turned from him. "I guess we better get dressed and start back to the rendezvous point to tell the others. We'll have to leave the ship, but we can send another team back to study its technology."

"Sam", he grabbed her hand and turned her around. "I'm not leaving this...you and I. I want to go back, but I won't give you up. I won't throw away our happiness. Will you stand by me and try to make it work? I love you, now and forever."

"Jack", she said, with tears in her eyes. "I thought you meant this was the end. I don't want to lose you. I can't continue to give up my life for the military. I want to stay in, but I want you too."

"We'll find a way to make it work, Sam. We'll go to Hammond. Hell, we'll go to the President if need be. We've saved the earth enough. They owe us something."

Together, they dressed, and holding hands walked back to meet the others. They had found a way home. Not just a physical place, but a place for their souls.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Miss Terri