Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Torment Series - Part VII: The Cabin, The

by MerryKate
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Torment Series - Part VII: The Cabin

The Torment Series - Part VII: The Cabin

by MerryKate

Summary: Sam is captured by an unknown enemy
Category: Angst, Drama, Future Story, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/21/04

The Torment Series - by MerryKate

Part VII: Cabin

As it was, it took three days for Sam to be declared well enough to leave the infirmary and Jack offered to drive her home. "You really didn't have to do this," she told him for the third time since they'd left the base.

"For cryin' out loud, Carter, I *want* to do this," Jack stated, wondering when she would ever just relax and let him take care of her. Even when she was confined to the infirmary, and forced to sit through Dr. MacKenzie's 'therapy sessions', she never seemed to relax. If anything, she appeared to be wound tighter than a spring. She wasn't going to get any rest at home, that was for sure.

When he pulled the truck to a stop in front of her house, Sam was already opening the door and climbing out of the cab before he could even circle around to help her out. He followed her up the steps and through the front door before she turned around to face him. "Was there something you wanted?" she questioned, clearly surprised by his actions.

"Yeah, for you to pack," Jack replied, stepping inside and removing his sunglasses. "You own luggage, Carter?"

"Yes....but why?" Sam questioned, her eyes darting back and forth in that adorable fashion that told him he had confused the hell out of her.

"Because you're taking a little trip," Jack announced, glancing at his watch before looking back up at her. "Now are you going to pack or do you want me to do it? You know how I'd *love* the chance to rummage through your underwear drawer."

"You're not getting within fifty feet of my underwear drawer," Sam stated firmly. "And just where are we taking this 'little trip' to?"

"My cabin."

"Your cabin?" Sam shook her head and smiled lightly. "I don't think so."

"It wasn't *my* idea," Jack answered defensively, placing a hand against his chest. "It was General Hammond's."

"What?"

The incredulous look that crossed her features was priceless and it caused Jack to smile widely. "Honest truth. Now...are you packing or do I get to see what you've picked up at 'Victoria's Secret' over the years?"

"Give me twenty minutes," Sam stated, holding up a hand to keep him from following her into her bedroom. "Make yourself comfortable. Just don't...touch anything."

"You take all the fun out of it," Jack pouted, making sure it was in a purely dramatic fashion as Sam disappeared from view.

.......................

True to his word, Jack and Sam arrived at his cabin just before sunset. "First trip to Minnesota?" he questioned, clearly happy to be at his home-away-from-home.

"Yes," Sam nodded, glancing around and smiling. "Lots of trees."

"Don't push it, Carter," Jack warned her. "There are supposed to be trees in Minnesota. We've got water, too," he added, taking her behind the house for a view of the lake. "See."

"The fish-less lake," Sam stated. "Teal'c told me all about it."

"T just doesn't understand the love...the joy that is *fishing*."

"Uh-huh," Sam answered, clearly willing to amuse him for the moment.

"Well, come on in," Jack invited, leading her up the steps and through the front door. "Guest room's in the back. I'll start a fire." He waited for her to vanish from view before moving toward the fireplace. Within moments, he had a fire going and then moved into the kitchen.

Sam unpacked her things and tried to ease the nervousness that was coursing through her. What was she doing here?? At Jack's cabin?? Normally, she wouldn't even have agreed to come, no matter how persistent he might be. But, for some reason, she didn't have the heart to say no to him. Not after everything he had done for her after her mission to P3A-672. She shook her head in a determined fashion. She was *not* going to think about that. Not now. Not ever.

By the time Sam exited the bedroom, Jack was whistling in the kitchen. "What are you doing?" she questioned, moving over to watch him curiously.

"Cooking."

"Cooking?" Sam repeated, a smile creeping into place. "I didn't know you could cook."

"Well...it's spaghetti. Even *I* can do *that*." Jack retrieved a handful of pasta and broke it in half before dropping it into the boiling water.

"Need any help?"

"Got it covered," Jack assured her. "Go make yourself comfortable."

Sam nodded and returned to the living area to warm herself by the fire, determined not to dwell on the fact that she was inside Jack's cabin at long last.

.....................

After a dinner passed mostly in silence, Jack told Sam to head out to the chairs on the back deck while he cleared away the dishes. The stars at night, reflected on the lake water, were beautiful and he hoped it would help relax her. She seemed to undulate between anxiety and numbness. Sometimes, she would reply to comments he made and sometimes she didn't even appear to hear them. Definitely not the Carter he knew. He dried his hands on a towel before dropping it down on the counter and moving to join her on the back deck.

Jack slid into a chair beside hers and allowed several moments of silence to dwell between them. He loved the lake at night. It was so peaceful. "I could live here forever," he commented quietly.

"Why don't you?" Sam asked.

Jack thought about it for a moment and then shrugged. "I will one day, just...not right now. I'm enjoying the work. Keeps me busy and it's definitely exciting."

"Exciting," Sam whispered.

There was something about the way she said the word that caused Jack to turn his head to the side and study her. "Something on your mind, Carter?"

"No, Sir."

Jack sighed deeply. "When one is in Minnesota, one can lose the 'sir'." He watched as she nodded her head silently.

Well, this was getting him nowhere fast. Time for a little reverse psychology. He brought the conversation back to her previous question. "I guess the only time I considered quitting, other than after that first mission to Abydos, was when I got back from Iraq." He shrugged his shoulders when Sam remained silent. "Seems like the only time I ever really consider quitting is when something tragic happens."

He reached down for the bottle of beer that he'd brought with him and took a sip. That hadn't helped either. Well...shoot. Making conversation had never been his strong suit, and usually Carter did enough talking for the both of them. Usually. "Hammond said we can take as much time off as you need." He placed the bottle back on the deck. "How much time do you think that'll be?"

"I don't know," came the quiet response.

"Do you *want* to return to the SGC?" Jack questioned. "As in a member of the team?" When she didn't answer him, he continued. "It's understandable if you don't. It'll be hard to step through that gate again, not knowing what you'll face."

Sam was starting to lose her patience. "I went through all of this with MacKenzie," she sighed.

"I'm not trying to psychoanalyze you, Carter," Jack insisted. "I just.... I'm trying to help."

Another sigh. "I know."

"Then talk to me."

"I don't know what to say."

Jack pursed his lips at the softly spoken words. The more he pushed her, the farther away she seemed to retreat. "Get you a beer?" he offered.

"Sure."

Jack raised an eyebrow, surprised that she had taken him up on the offer. Perhaps it would help to settle her nerves a little. "Be right back."

He returned a moment later with two beers and a blanket, which he spread across both her and the chair she was sitting on. "Breeze gets a little chilly here at night," he explained, as he popped the top off of the beer and handed it to her before settling back down in the chair. "And if you don't feel like talking, we'll just sit together. All right?"

"I'd like that," Sam answered softly, caressing the label on the bottle of beer with a thumb before taking a sip.

..................

Jack had no idea how long the two of them had sat together, sharing their mutual silence, but at some point, he must have fallen asleep. He stirred in the chair and instantly regretted having nodded off in the stiff, hard-backed seat. He turned to face Sam's chair, but it was empty, save for the blanket piled on top of it. He stood to his feet and stretched his back out before retrieving the two empty bottles. He carried them into the house and dropped them into trashcan before his brow furrowed, ears tuning in to an unfamiliar sound.

"What *is* that?" he murmured softly. It sounded rather like a teakettle that had been left on the stove too long and he shook his head to clear it. Only then did he realize that it was a soft, keening noise. He followed it down the hallway and stopped outside of Carter's door. "Sam?" he called out. When he didn't receive a response, he opened the door and drew in a breath.

Sam was curled up in one corner of the room. Her knees were drawn up to her chest, her arms were wrapped around them tightly, and she was rocking slowly back and forth. The sight of it wrenched his heart within his chest. "Ohhh...Sam," he whispered, hesitating for only a moment before stepping toward her carefully. "I'm here, Sam," he reassured her.

"I can't sleep," Sam sobbed, gasping in her effort to get the words out. "I can't sleep. It won't stop. I can't stop thinking about it. I don't want to think about it."

"Shhhhh...," Jack whispered, kneeling down in front of her. "Come here." He feared that she would reject the contact, but she, in fact, did the exact opposite as she seemingly melted into his arms. "It's all right, Sam. You're safe now." He began to rock her slowly back and forth until he felt her begin to relax a little more. He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. "You can sleep. I'll watch over you."

.................

If Jack thought his back had been stiff from falling asleep in the chair, it was nothing compared to how it felt after holding Sam in his arms all night long. He had been so afraid to move her that he ignored his body's protests and remained as motionless as possible. But now dawn was beginning to creep in through the curtains and he had to pee. He shifted his position slightly, only to then feel Carter stir in his arms. "Morning," he called down to her.

Sam sat up quickly and stared at him with wide blue eyes. "Colonel?"

"Ach! Minnesota, remember?" Jack pointed out to her, holding a forefinger in the air.

Sam ignored the correction as she took in the position she was in. Had she really slept in his arms all night long? "Sorry," she whispered, both for calling him by his rank as well as for where she had slept.

"Don't pay it any mind," he reassured her, as he used the wall to climb to his feet. "Be right back." He stretched out his stiff leg muscles as he made his way toward the bathroom, and then on to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee.

When the pot finished brewing, and Sam still hadn't come out of the bedroom, Jack poured two cups of the black substance and carried it in to her. She was still sitting on the floor, so he sighed and apologized to his knees before squatting back down on the floor beside her, offering her one of the steaming mugs.

"Do you feel like talking?" Jack questioned. When Sam took a sip of her coffee, but otherwise made no outward sign of even having heard him, he continued. "Don't shut me out, Sam."

"I really don't know what to say. I don't even know how to put it into words."

"What about telling me about last night?" Jack offered. "Why couldn't you sleep? Was it just the memories, or was it something else?"

"Both...I think," Sam replied. She took another sip of the coffee and then placed the mug on the floor. "My mind just wouldn't shut off and I couldn't relax. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to stay asleep." She licked her lips, but refused to look up at him. "They used to wake me up...all the time. Usually by kicking me. I can still feel it, Jack."

"I know," Jack whispered, reaching out a hand to place against the top of her head. He drew his hand down slowly, caressing her silky blonde hair. "I know."

"And even though I know that I'm safe, it still comes back to haunt me. Especially at night."

"Nights are the hardest," Jack agreed. "But it will get better, Sam. You can talk to me any time, about anything. I'm here for you. Always."

"But I don't always feel like talking," Sam replied. "After MacKenzie, I'm sort of all talked out."

"That's fine, too," Jack assured her. "Just so you know that the invitation to talk still stands, whenever you feel you're ready."

"Thanks," Sam nodded, offering him a brief, appreciative smile.

"If you don't feel like talking....do you feel like fishing?" Jack asked. "I mean, you're finally here. No more excuses."

"No more excuses," Sam agreed. "Give me a few moments to shower and change and I'll be out there." She stood to her feet. "You can go ahead and get the bait together."

"Bait," Jack grumbled. "What is it with you people and bait? First Teal'c and now you? Don't you get it?" He sighed deeply and shook his head, continuing to gripe about people who just didn't understand the true art of fishing, as he headed out of the room.

............................

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to MerryKate