Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Torment Series - Part III: Interrogated, The

by MerryKate
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Torment Series - Part III: Interrogated

The Torment Series - Part III: Interrogated

by MerryKate

Summary: Sam is captured by an unknown enemy
Category: Angst, Drama, Future Story, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/20/04

The Torment Series - by MerryKate

Part III: Interrogated

The hand that reached down to caress Sam's cheek was so soft and warm, she thought for sure she must be hallucinating again. "Jack?" she called out, her voice slurred and seemingly unsure of itself. It was the first gentle contact she'd felt in what had to be weeks, if not months. How long had she been here anyway? She had lost all sense of time and place, all sense of herself.

"Who is Jack?" a quiet voice questioned.

Sam opened her eyes and squinted at the blurred figure hovering above her face. "Jack is...." She stopped there and licked her parched lips. Who *was* Jack? He was someone....important.

The man smiled. "It's all right," he reassured her. "Let's get you something to eat and drink and maybe then you'll be able to think a little more clearly."

Sam's heart soared at the thought of having water; food was just an added benefit at the moment. When she found herself pulled into a seated position, the room swam before her and she almost passed out.

"Easy," the man whispered. He used the rear wall of the room to support her weight as he reached for the bottle beside him and lifted it to her lips. When the woman latched onto it as if it were a lifeline, threatening to choke it all down in seconds, he allowed her only a few sips before pulling it away. "Not all at once," he admonished her. "It won't do you any good to throw it all up."

Sam didn't care. She wanted more, but even that little bit helped tremendously. "Thank you," she whispered, the words heartfelt.

"You're welcome," the man smiled. He then reached down to the bowl he had brought with him. He grasped the utensil and carefully lifted a spoonful of the soft material and brought it up to her lips. "Eat."

Under normal circumstances, Sam would've resisted being spoonfed as if she were an infant, but right now, she didn't care. It was warm and it was food. She couldn't even have described what it was. She didn't care whether it tasted good or not. Just as the man had done with the water, however, she wasn't fed very much.

"Now....isn't that better?" the man questioned, smiling when the woman nodded her head rapidly in agreement. "What's your name?"

"Sam," came the whispered response.

"Sam?" The man sounded amused. "That's.....an unusual name?" It was not at anywhere close to the name had imagined he'd hear.

"It is?" Sam questioned. She paused thoughtfully. "I'm....pretty sure that's my name. I think?"

Most unusual. The man fell silent for a moment or two before speaking up once more. "You may call me Rowan."

"Rowan," Sam repeated softly.

"Now...Sam," Rowan whispered. "Would you like to tell me why you came here?"

"We're explorers," Sam told him. "From a planet called Earth." She paused for a moment, searching for a word that was right on the tip of her tongue. "We're called the.... Something...."

"It's all right," Rowan assured her. "It'll come to you. And what were you looking for?"

"We look for all sorts of things," Sam answered. "Technology, new sources of energy, weapons, friends... We didn't mean any harm."

"You didn't?" Rowan questioned, a thread of disbelief evident within the words. "You didn't come, searching for us?"

"No," Sam answered, shaking her head slowly. "We didn't know you were here."

"Most interesting," Rowan replied, the disbelief still in existence. He reached for the bottle once more and offered her a few more sips of water, which the woman sucked down greedily. "Now....I'm a much nicer man than the ones who have been in to see you before, aren't I?"

Sam vigorously nodded her head. Rowan hadn't hurt her at all. He had actually been kind to her, and had given her food and water.

"I'm glad to see you agree," Rowan smiled. "And I'll continue to be the nicest man you ever saw....as long as you answer my questions."

"I'll tell you anything you want to know," Sam agreed readily. Anything. Just so long as the others didn't come back to hurt her.

"I was hoping you'd say that," Rowan whispered, delighted at her quick agreement. He settled himself a little more comfortably on the floor beside her. "You see, Sam....you're not the first one of your kind that we have captured. Nor are you the first one we've broken. It's our way of....protecting ourselves from you and others like you."

"Others like me?" Sam questioned curiosly.

"Goa'uld."

Sam laughed softly and shook her head, even if it did make the room spin slightly. "I'm not a Goa'uld."

"You're not?" Rowan questioned. "We are most...thorough..."

"You mean the....?" Sam paused and searched for the word. It came to her a moment later. "The naquada?" She chuckled again. "That's because of Jolinar."

"Jolinar?" Rowan repeated.

"She wasn't a Goa'uld, though," Sam explained, anxious to tell him whatever would please him. "She was a Tok'ra."

"A Tok'ra?" He would get back to his other question later. Right now, he was just letting her tell as much as she would on her own.

"They're sort of like Goa'uld, but ... good."

"And are there more of these good Goa'uld?" Rowan asked. "More of these....Tok'ra?"

"Oh, yes," Sam assured him. "They were Goa'uld, but I guess you could say they've had a change of heart," Sam explained. "They now fight the Goa'uld, along with us." She paused for a moment, grateful that her vision was becoming a little clearer. "Is that why you captured me? Because you thought I was a Goa'uld? Because of the naquada?"

"Yes," Rowan answered softly. This was most unexpected. "Are you sure you're being truthful with me, Sam?"

"Yes," Sam stated. "I'm telling you the truth. Please. Believe me."

.................

After leaving Sam and closing the door behind him, Rowan made his way back up out of the caverns. "We've made a mistake," he stated to the others gathered with him.

"A mistake?"

"Yes, Telman, a mistake!" Rowan drew in a breath and then conveyed to the others everything that Sam had told him.

The eyes that greeted him were filled with stunned disbelief. "This changes everything," Telman whispered, glancing toward the door as if he could see the woman held captive far below them. "What...do we do *now*?"

"I don't know," Rowan cried, shrugging his shoulders helplessly. "We could....send her back?"

Telman laughed aloud at that. "Send her back?" he echoed. "In her current state? They'll hunt us down and kill us for hurting her! We just tortured her within an inch of her life and it was all a *mistake*?" He paced the distance of the room warily. "Are you sure she isn't lying to you?"

"Absolutely," Rowan stated. "The Goa'uld have never had a problem admitting who they were. Never have we heard of this....Tok'ra." He sighed deeply. "What do you think we should do?"

"Well, we can't send her back to them," Telman stated. "Their revenge would be swift and certain."

"But if we don't, they'll be sure to come looking for her," Rowan protested. "We may have been able to deactivate the device they came through, but for how long? What if they have ships? We could be inviting an entire legion of them to war." He stepped over to the window and looked out of it for several long moments. "We could admit our mistake. Perhaps they would forgive us. We had no way of knowing that she wasn't a Goa'uld. If they've been fighting against them, just as we have, surely they'd understand..."

"Understand what we did to her?" Telman shook his head. "I find that hard to believe. Rowan, we have no choice. We will have to kill her."

"And that will make them *happier* when they arrive to destroy us??" Rowan cried incredulously. "Either way, we are in trouble. If we send her back, they'll seek revenge. If they come here looking for her and find her as she is, or -- worse -- they find her body, then they're sure to attack. I can't believe we didn't think of this before."

"Who ever would have thought it was even a possibility?" Telman answered defensively.

"We'll have to tell her the truth," Rowan stated, after a momentary, thoughful silence. "Maybe she can....think of some way to help us."

"Do you think she'll want to cooperate with us after what we did to her?" Telman questioned.

"What choice do we have?" Rowan asked, not surprised when Telman had no response to give.

...................

"Can't this ship go any faster?" Jack grumbled, pacing the deck plates and trying not to look out the window.

"But the Tok'ra couldn't have a ship in the vicinity of P3A-672 for six months," Daniel reminded him. "At least the Prometheus is...faster than that." He paused thoughtfully. "What are we going to do, once we get there?"

"We're going to get Sam, that's what we're going to do," Jack stated. "I've got three SG teams, a legion of Tok'ra, and whatever Jaffa resistance rebels Bra'tak managed to talk into going with us."

"But will it be enough?" Daniel questioned. "We don't know what sort of army these people might have...or what type of weapons." He paused. "This could be ugly, Jack."

"It already is," Jack whispered, leaning back against the ship's hull and closing his eyes.

......................

End of Part III - Part IV Coming Soon!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to MerryKate