Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Torment Series - Part II: Tortured, The

by MerryKate
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Torment Series - Part II: Tortured

The Torment Series - Part II: Tortured

by MerryKate

Summary: Sam is captured by an unknown enemy
Category: Angst, Drama, Future Story, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/19/04

The Torment Series - by MerryKate

Part II: Tortured

"I came as soon as I could," Jacob Carter told General Hammond, the moment he stepped down the ramp and clasped hands with his friend. "Any word?"

"I'm afraid not," Hammond answered softly, leading the man into his office. "We've tried countless times to reestablish a wormhole with P3A-672 over the past few weeks, but without success. What's the status of the Tok'ra ship?"

"We hope to have one in the area within the next six months, but....nothing earlier than that," Jacob told him sadly. "I'm sorry. I tried to do something...anything...."

"I know you did, Jacob," Hammond reassured him. Before he could continue, he saw the man incline his head forward; it was a sign that his symbiote, Selmak, was about to speak.

"Greetings, General Hammond," Selmak spoke, although the voice still came through Jacob Carter's lips. "My host is having a hard time dealing with this."

"That's understandable," the General nodded. "I think we all are."

"I would like to try accessing the memories of the other members of SG-1, using the memory recall device," Selmak stated. "It might retrieve something useful that they are unwilling or unable to remember on their own."

"I'll call a meeting in the briefing room," Hammond promised.

................

Samantha Carter rolled onto her back, unable to find solace in sleep for fear that it would be taken away from her the moment she allowed herself to succumb to it. She knew that the moment she actually drifted off, they would come in, as they always did, and wake her up with brutal kicks and harsh blows. The worst part was, she still had no idea what it was they wanted. They seemed to talk in circles, leading her down one conversational path, only to turn around and take it in another direction altogether, until she was so confused, she didn't remember what it was they had wanted her to tell them in the first place.

She had never felt anything remotely like this before. She had never been the victim of complete and utter torture. Even the best training the Air Force had to offer gave little preparation in how to deal with the real thing.

Never had she felt so violated -- so completely and utterly defenseless. For these tormentors -- whoever they were -- were able to reach inside of her, to the very core of her being, into her very person and seemingly rip her to shreds. She had always had one place in which to find solace, comfort, and privacy and that had been within her own mind and within her own body. These people had invaded that personal sanctuary and desecrated it. They did it deliberately, repeatedly, and seemingly without cause.

Her own body had become her own worst enemy. Trapped within its confines, it forced her to do its bidding as she tried to cope with what was being done to her. Her own sense of self was starting to come apart, her reasoning was starting to crumble.

She depended on her own captors for the basic necessities -- the ones they seemed determined to deprive her of: sleep, food, water, clean living conditions. These things were withheld or granted, depending on the mood of her captors or whatever they might perceive as cooperation on her part.

Sam desperately tried to remember what had pleased them before, when they happened to decide to grant her some favor, be it an hour of sleep or a bowl of food, but it never seemed to work a second time. Not that she could recall much of anything. Time had no meaning here. It was like living in a perputal never-ending hell. Only the present time existed. She only thought of how to survive that moment - that instant in time - with little thought given to anything beyond that; she couldn't hope for anything beyond that. Hope died quickly inside these gray walls.

If only she could get some sleep -- real sleep -- she would be able to think more clearly. She knew that was something that, for whatever reason, her captors were not about to allow. Hours slid together with no cohesion. Deprived of sunlight, she had no idea whether it was day or night, no sense of how long she had been held against her will in the cold, dank room.

She had tried to be strong, but she was gradually starting to lose the notion of who Samantha Carter was. She was unable to recall familiar faces within her mind -- something that she had done, at first, to ease the pain, loneliness, and despair that threatened to overwhelm her.

Mentally, she was shattering and she knew it.

Worst of all -- her captors knew it, too.

...............

"I'll do whatever it takes to help find Sam," Daniel assured Jacob, readily agreeing to wear the Tok'ra memory recall device.

"I will also agree to this, although I do not know if it will work on me," Teal'c stated.

"It should," Jacob assured him. "Even though you were once a Jaffa, you still have the same mental makeup as Daniel and Colonel O'Neill."

"We've already tried MacKenzie's...hypnosis spin," Jack said, waving a descriptive hand in the air. "Didn't do a damn bit of good."

"Well, this is a little more sophisticated than hypnosis," Jacob replied. "Who'd like to be the first subject?" He wasn't surprised when Daniel raised his hand.

Moving out of his chair, he stepped over to the archaeologist and placed the device against the side of his left temple. "It only hurts for a moment," he assured him when the man winced in pain. "Your memories will be projected on the viewscreen in the corner. Now....try to recall what happened the moment you stepped through the gate on P3A-672."

Daniel nodded and closed his eyes, not sure if such an action was required or not -- at least he wouldn't have to see the expressions on the faces of the others if some stray, errant personal memory came forward for all to see. "Teal'c moved down the steps first and stopped suddenly," he told them, as if the images themselves weren't enough of an explanation. "Jack asked him what was wrong and he said that he had an uncomfortable feeling. But he couldn't place the source of it. Sam followed him down the steps and, once she and Jack searched the area for signs of trouble -- and apparently found none -- she moved a few yards away from the stargate, doing...whatever it is she does with her surveying instruments." He smiled lightly. He knew they had a more exact, scientific name, but he never paid much attention to things like that. That was her field of expertise.

"And what did *you* do?" Jacob questioned, glancing up at the screen.

"There wasn't much *for* me to do," Daniel shrugged. "I...walked around a bit. Tried to see if there were any signs of technology or cities....any signs of civilization."

"And were there?"

"None that I could see," Daniel replied. "But then we appeared to be a...valley of some sort. There could've been villages or towns or something over the surrounding mountains, although there didn't appear to be any roads leading to the stargate. It was literally out in the middle of nowhere."

"And then what?" Jacob urged, when Daniel fell silent.

"And then.....I don't know." Daniel's voice was soft and quiet. "That's it. There's nothing else. The next thing I remember is coming back through the gate to the SGC."

Jacob nodded before reaching up to remove the device. "At least we have more now than we did before," he stated, hoping to reassure the man that it hadn't been for naught.

Applying the device to Colonel O'Neill also yielded little in the way of actual help. His memories stopped soon after Daniel's had done, although he did recall hearing an unusual noise.

"What kind of noise was it?" Jacob questioned.

"Sort of a....humming sound, I guess," Jack replied with a shrug, furrowing his brow in concentration. "Almost like....a hive of angry bees. I remember turning around and....fussing at Sam for digging up a hornet's nest when she should've been digging up soil samples." A long pause. "And ... that's it. Then I'm drawing a blank until we came down the ramp at the base. I don't even remember who dialed us home."

"Every little bit helps," Jacob assured him, reaching up to remove the device from the Colonel's temple. He then turned toward the Jaffa. "Your turn, Teal'c."

"I remember hearing that same sound as well," Teal'c stated, once he had reached the same place in time that the other two men had done. "But....I thought I saw someone, coming toward us, but....I can't bring his face into view."

Jacob squinted his eyes at the image on the viewscreen, discovering that he, too, was having the same problem. "He's holding something in his hands," he added a moment later, once he had stood to his feet and moved closer to the image that was being projected from Teal'c's memories. "Can you tell what it is?"

"I cannot," Teal'c stated, his expression revealing his own concentration. "He is moving closer, but...." He stopped there and shook his head, just as the image on the viewscreen revealed the familiar gateroom. "I am sorry. That is all I can remember."

Jacob sighed deeply as he moved toward Teal'c and removed the device. "Apparently, something removed the memories from your minds," he stated, surmising the situation at hand. "It's more than just a matter of not wanting to recall them. It's as if they aren't there at all anymore."

"So we're at a dead end?" Jack stated, shaking his head. "Again?" He held up both hands in frustration. "So now what?? We just sit around and do nothing until you can get a ship to swing by there and pick her up?"

"I'm as frustrated as you are, Colonel," Jacob assured him. "We're not going to give up hope." When Jack's expression revealed his disbelief, he leaned down to face him. "That's my daughter we're talking about. I'm not going to give up. And I'm not going to rest until she's back, safe and sound. I know you feel the same way."

Jack, for once, found himself speechless. Just how much of his feelings for Sam did Jacob suspect?

.............................

For Sam, the nightmare was just beginning. Despite her struggling protests as they hauled her to her feet, she found herself hustled down what must have been a corridor, for she could hear the way the sound of her feet echoed in the narrow confines, even if she couldn't see where they were taking her, due to the blindfold covering her eyes.

She had thought that no place, no destination, could be worse than the one she had been in before, but she was wrong.

Once they removed the blindfold from over her eyes, it revealed a room, painted in a white so bright that it hurt her eyes to look at it, especially after having them covered for so long. Her head began to pound so painfully that she shut her eyes in an effort to escape it.

This was her new residence in hell.

This was where they left her, deprived of food and drink as well as sleep.

Each time she drifted off, they would jolt her awake with what she could only think was some type of electrical device.

This went on for days -- although it seemed much longer for one who had no concept of time any more.

By the third day, Sam was hallucinating, seeing blurred images of people who were not there in reality. She called out to them none the less. "Jack...." She didn't want to open her eyes, and face that blinding white light, but then she didn't want to keep them closed and be unable to see him at all. "Jack, help me. Please. Make them stop."

........................

"I think she's ready to talk now," the man stated, stepping into the room and greeting his superior.

"You're certain of this?"

"She's broken," he stated. "I'm sure of it."

"And what have you done to accomplish this?"

"Electrical shocks....sensory deprivation....isolation.....whipping...." He looked up at the man impassively. "Shall I continue?"

"Where is she now?" the man questioned, wiping the corner of his mouth with a napkin as he pushed his half-eaten plate of food aside with the other hand.

"Hanging from the ceiling by her wrists," the underling answered.

The man smiled broadly at that. "I'll bet she's looking for a nice, caring soul to come in and rescue her right about now, wouldn't you say?"

..........................

End of Part II -- Part III is Coming Soon!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to MerryKate