Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Roadrunning

by Marie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Roadrunning

Roadrunning

by Marie

Title: Roadrunning
Author: Marie
Date: written during Winter 2001
Email: marieg@wattosjunkyard.com
Rating: PG
Classification: crossover between the x-files and Stargate sg-1. Has an investigation of a case. Mulder and Scully romance, Sam and Jack UST/romance
Spoilers:
The x-files: Roadrunners (episode 8x04), General Spoilers for Requiem (7x22) and beginning of season 8 up to Roadrunners (episode 8x04) There are small references to the Pilot and to the episodes "Excelsis Dei", "Beyond the sea", "One Breath" and "Avatar".
Stargate sg-1:
There are spoilers (references) for the episodes "Out of mind", "Into the fire" and "Seth". There are smaller references to the episodes "Need" and "Legacy". There are references to Cassandra, protein markers, Hathor, Ra and Heur'Ur. The story links to Upgrades and Divide and conquer from season 4
More: When Scully says that General Hammond looks like her dead father, it is a reference to the x-files episodes "Beyond the sea" and "One Breath". In these episodes, Don S. Davis, who plays General Hammond in Stargate sg-1, plays the role of Scully's dad.
The reference to Major Carter and Dr. Frasier looking like people that Scully met during the x-files is similar. Amanda Tapping, who plays the role of Major Carter, played a small role in the x-files episode "Avatar". Her character had a "hot" night with assistant director Skinner, and that's the reference to "that old story". Terryl Rothery, who plays the role of Dr. Janet Frasier in Stargate sg-1, played the role of Nurse Charters in the x-files episode "Excelsis Dei".
Summary: SG-1 comes into the scene after the events in the x-files episode "Roadrunners" to investigate a possible Goa'uld case.
Disclaimer: The x-files and its characters are the property of Chris Carter, Ten Thirteen productions, and FOX. Stargate SG1 and its characters are the property of Stargate Productions, ShowTime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. No infringement on copyright intended. I promise to put them back where I found them. No money will be accepted for this work.
Archive: Yes S&J archive, Heliopolis: the stargate sg-1 fanfic achive. Also in the x-files yahoogroups mail list, XFSG1shippers yahoogroups and my site http://www.geocities.com/maricelagarcia2001/ Any others, please ask for me for permission.
Authors note: This is partially a response to a challenge.
Here are the requirements by Sara of the Sam and Jack mail list.
-Must at least use the idea from the xfiles eppy (don't know the name)with the slug.
-I must be x-files/Stargate crossover (others can be added) -agent Doggett must be whumped Danny style, but doesn't get 5 star treatment like Danny at the end. -Romance between two characters (not slash) someone must make a reference to watching their show on tv (ie that crappy showtime production, or hey that weird show with the fbi and aliens)-think Wendy's brilliant Danny Lurks series. -Someone must have a strange obsession with the following-toe socks, yummy tasting chapstick, pajama pants, bedtime slippers, or waxing
More comments: I want to thank Jamieson13, my Beta reader. Thank you a lot for your help.
Feedback: yes, please J

Sevier desert
Juab County, Utah
At night, in isolated town at night.

FBI Agent John Doggett carefully carried his FBI partner, agent Dana Scully, in his arms. He carried her inside a barn and continued carrying her into the bus that was inside it.

He sat her in the front row of the bus. His expression was full of worry. Scully wasn't well, and she was in urgent need of medical care. The only chance they had to escape from this isolated town was to hot-wire the bus, and they both knew it. Doggett's car was too far away to be of use right now.

"Can you hot-wire it?" asked Scully with a voice that reflected her pain.

"Can I hot-wire it? Gone in 60 seconds, Jack. I'm going to strand these lunatics," he said with confidence.

Taking a knife out from his pocket, he started hot-wiring the bus. Scully groaned in pain.

"Agent Scully...talk to me," said Doggett. He knew he had to keep her talking to prevent her from falling into unconsciousness.

The pain in her back was completely unbearable. She recalled what had happened to the other people who became hosts for that slug thing that was now inside her back. They all started suffering from advanced signs of osteoporosis, arthritis, and kyphosis of the vertebrae. It was exactly as if they had the spine of a 90-year old woman while still being young, but that wasn't all. The town's people had stoned them all to death, and Scully will be the next one to suffer this fate unless Doggett and her escaped.

The bump started moving further up inside Scully's spine.

"You got to cut it out. Cut it out. Oh... Oh... Now it's going to come to my brain!"

Her mind was now full of concern for herself and especially for her unborn baby. One thing was for sure: she didn't want to share the fate of the other victims of this cult. Not while Mulder was still missing. Not like this after all she had been through.

"Cut it out of me, now!" screamed in pain agent Scully.

She clamped her hands on her neck to prevent the thing from moving into her head.

Agent Doggett dropped everything, and approached her. With shock, he watched the bump moving through Scully's neck.

Suddenly, the cult people arrived and they weren't happy. They began hammering at the windows of the bus, making enough noise to wake the dead.

Doggett moved behind Scully, but he wasn't sure that he was up to what she was asking of him. He didn't have the medical background that was required. He was a cop, not a medical doctor.

"Aah! Just do it, Doggett!" screamed Scully.

He didn't like it, but he was indeed out of options. Even cops had to do medical procedures if needed. He started cutting into Scully's neck with the knife. She could barely stand the pain, but she had to do it. She had to survive for her baby, for her and for Mulder. After a few moments of struggle, he finally pulled the thing out of her spine.

At the same moment, the town people had managed to break the windows of the bus. However, Doggett didn't notice.

He stared at the slug that he had retrieved from Scully's back, and threw it with repulsion far from him and from Scully. Drawing his gun, he aimed at the thing and fired three times.

Mr. Milsap stepped into the bus. He was an old bespectacled man with a kind face that concealed perfectly that he was part of a cult capable of so horrible actions. He had Scully's gun in his hand and was ready to use it. However, we realized quickly that the slug was dead.

"Why?" Mr. Milsap had to ask it. He was completely devastated. The rest of the people were now silent as well, contrasting with the uproar of the previous moments.

Doggett wrapped Scully with his jacket and slowly carried her out of the bus. As they moved away from the barn, Doggett saw with relief the police cars coming towards them.

In the barn, everyone was completely silent. They all knew that it was over. The police entered the barn. However, one person was already busy. Mr. Milsap took the slug into his arms. Making use of the confusion created by the arrival of the police, he got out from the barn. He entered his house, and went into the same piece in which they had kept Scully and Hank Gulatarski before her.

With care, he put the slug in the bed. There was a small trap in the floor under the bed. He moved the bed, and opened the trap. There was a device that looked like a lower arm protector. It had a blue jewel in it. He put it in his lower arm. Taking the slug again into his arms, Mr. Milsap pushed on the blue jewel. Suddenly, a circle in the ceiling opened. There was a beam of light coming out of it. Mr Milsap was directly in the middle of the beam of the light. Soon after that, one large ring fell over him, surrounding him. Many rings of the same size followed the first ring, and they fell superposed to each other. After a brief moment, the rings went up and the light seemed to make Mr Milsap disappear.

However, the device had transferred him to another room. It was dark, so he used a flashlight to see correctly.

There it was. The secret he had not told to anyone. There was a sarcophagus that reminded him of the Egyptian sarcophagus right in the middle of the room.

Mr. Milsap had been an archeologist years ago until his life changed one day. He was doing some digging with his team in Yucatan when he found a cave. Curious, he went inside it. He saw the sarcophagus and was intrigued by the fact that it was Egyptian. What would it be doing in the middle of the Mayan digs of Yucatan? He opened the sarcophagus, and saw IT. The most beautiful thing happened to him. He was full of joy and peace, as he had never been in his life. He was completely fascinated by the creature that was inside the sarcophagus.

He saw the slug thing moving towards him.

"Praise the Lord", he said kneeling before his God.

He had concealed his discovery from his colleagues. He knew it was an amazing discovery he had done that day. He was also aware that some people were not ready for all the implications of it. It would make an earthquake in the scientific community to know that an Egyptian sarcophagus was found in America. He would have been called cheat. But most important of all, they would not understand the meaning of it. They will miss the beauty of the creature and its gifts.

Mr. Milsap had found also the ring system and some other pieces of interesting technology that were definitely not from Egyptian or Mayan cultures.

So, he brought the sarcophagus, the slug and the rest of his discoveries to his little town in Utah. He had shown the creature to the people of his town, and they had felt the same peace than he did. Nonetheless, he did not show them the sarcophagus. He had been able to decipher some of the hieroglyphs carved in it and knew now that this served for healing purposes. It could even bring living things back to life, provided they were installed inside the sarcophagus rapidly after their death.

Mr. Milsap understood now that the only way that this beautiful creature could survive was to install it inside the sarcophagus. He did that, fervently hoping that it would work.

After a moment that seemed an eternity to him, he reopened the sarcophagus. With relief, he saw the creature moving. Mr. Milsap was full of emotion to see that it was alive. "Praise the Lord!" he said again.

Suddenly, the slug jumped towards him in a surprise move. It arrived extremely fast to the back of his neck. In one step, it entered Mr. Milsap whose eyes started to glow.

Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado
Stargate Command (SGC)
5 days later
17h00

Colonel Jack O'Neil walked through the top-secret Air Force base called the Stargate Command. There was a reason for such a secret about this base. It involved a huge circle called the Stargate. It was an alien artifact that functioned as a doorway to other planets. This was the secret that Cheyenne Mountain hid.

However, Jack wasn't thinking about the Stargate. He had been summoned to the office of his superior and commander of the base, General Hammond.

The General went directly down to business.

"We have received information that needs our immediate attention. Two days ago, a special FBI agent by the name of Dana Katherine Scully filed a report concerning an isolated town in Utah. She says that the town people worshipped a slug creature believing that it was Jesus's Second Coming."

Hammond was aware that Jack knew where this was heading by now.

Jack and his team, which was called SG-1, had encountered an alien race called the Goa'uld. They formed a race that loved to take human hosts, exactly like parasites. Physically, they looked like snakes but one rarely saw them. In the majority of cases, what one saw was the host. The Goa'uld usually controlled their host totally after having entered them. The host's eyes glowed then, as a sign that there was now a Goa'uld inside them.

The Goa'uld firmly believed that they were gods. That is why they tended to take names from Earth mythology.

"Sounds to me like a Goa'uld is behind all of this," said Jack.

"That's right. Of course, we do not know that for sure. According to the report, the slug was killed. However, we both know that this may not stop the creature if it is indeed a Goa'uld. That is why I want you to investigate the matter."

"...Alone, sir?"

"Yes. Discretion is important. You may depart as soon as possible. Dismissed."

BYU MEDICAL CENTER
PROVO, UTAH
Two days later
(A week later after the events at the isolated town in the Juab County)
15h00

Colonel Jack O'Neil entered the hospital. He wasn't a happy camper. He had driven from Cheyenne Mountain and he was now tired. He would rather be with his friends and family of the sg-1 rather than in an undercover mission. However, he knew the importance of what he was there to do.

He was here in the midst of a probable Goa'uld hunt. He was trying not to think about his last Goa'uld hunt on Earth. That wasn't among his best memories.

"Dana Scully, please?" he asked the nurse at the welcoming office. She consulted her log page.

"Room A-14. Follow that corridor," she indicated him.

"Thanks," said Jack. He started moving towards the room.

He found it with no difficulty. The door of the room was opened. He was about to step inside the room when he heard a voice.

"It was. You screwed up," said a male voice inside the room.

"Oh, oh, though Jack. Sounds like trouble. Better waiting here outside the room."

"...And I won't do it again" said a female voice that Jack assumed to be Dana Scully.

"I appreciate it", answered the male voice that had previously spoken.

The two FBI agents got out of the room. Scully had a bandage that was a reminder of what had happened to her a week ago.

"Special Agent Dana Scully?" asked Jack

"Yes, it's me," said Scully with a questioning look on her face.

Jack introduced himself.

"I am Colonel Jack O'Neil, with the Air Force. I would want to talk to you about what happened in Juab County, Utah"

"What would the Air Force be interested about it?" asked Doggett, suspicious.

Scully sensed the tension between the two men and read Jack's unsaid question. Who is this person?

"Colonel, this is my partner, special Agent John Doggett, " said Scully.

"Nice to meet you" said Doggett "Now, if you'll excuse us, we were leaving."

"Agent Scully, it is very important that I talk to you," said Jack.

Scully looked at Jack. Somehow, she felt that she had to hear what he had to say.

"Agent Doggett, will you excuse us?" she asked her partner.

Doggett didn't like this. Scully left him out of the case about the slug, and he would not be left out again.

"All that I know is that the Air Force has nothing to do with this case, for crying out loud!" he said.

"Hey! That's supposed to be my line in this show!" said Jack with a smile.

Somehow, this removed the tension, and Doggett had a beginning of a smile too.

"I am going to put this suitcase in the car," he said and he left.

Agent Doggett entered the parking lot of the hospital. He arrived to his white car. He opened the trunk and deposed Scully's suitcase. As he closed it, he noticed a person coming towards him. Agent Doggett recognized the person. It was Mr. Milsap. Doggett draw his gun.

"FBI, stop right there!"

Mr. Milsap approached him. Doggett could see his eyes glow. Milsap had his hand extended and revealed a device in his hand.

"It was unwise trying to kill me!" said Mr. Milsap with a deep voice didn't seem to be his real voice.

It was time from the creature to take revenge on Doggett for that. He had known that Doggett would be in the hospital, since his partner was wounded. The device in Mr. Milsap's hand glowed. A wave of energy threw Doggett far from the place he was. He fell unconscious. Mr. Milsap approached him. Suddenly, he let a scream. The slug exited him and entered Doggett.

Inside the hospital, Jack started telling his cover up story to Scully.

"I know this will seem like an unusual procedure for the Air Force. We received notice of what happened here. The problem is that one of our members, Major Kawalsky, disappeared months ago. We're afraid that he died victim of the cult that happened in that town. That is why I am here... to make sure he wasn't here."

"No...not from what I know. I haven't heard his name," said Scully.

"Could you tell me what happened to you?"

Scully started telling him how she got the case. At the beginning, she was to investigate the death of a man found here. She told him how she found the little town, and how it was rapidly clear to her that they would not let her go. They wanted her to take care of Hank Gulatarski. She quickly realized that the town's people had done something bad to him. They had put the slug thing in his back. Hank had tricked her into trusting him with her gun, and she had been made prisoner. The cult people had realized that Hank Gulatarski wasn't the host they were looking for the creature. They decided to take their chances on Scully. Thankfully, Agent Doggett had arrived on time to save her.

Suddenly, she was interrupted by the sound of a cell phone ringing. It was her cell phone.

"Scully," she answered.

"Agent Scully! I am sheriff Cioliono, the sheriff of the Juab County. I'm glad you haven't left for DC!" he said.

"What is it?" asked her.

"You know that there is a trial going on to the people involved in the cult at that little town. One of the persons involved in it was absent from the court today. It is Mr. Milsap. It seems that he attacked the guards that were escorting him with a device he had in his hand. It was made of metal, with a finger protector made for each finger and had a jewel in it. I'll appreciate if you and agent Doggett could help us."

"We'll be right there, sheriff," said Scully.

"Something wrong?" asked Jack.

She explained to him what the sheriff Ciolino had said.

"Was the device one with a jewel in the palm of the hand and a metal thing in each finger?" asked Jack

"Yes" She was surprised to hear Jack describing the same device as the sheriff. "Have you seen those devices?" asked Scully.

"Oh, yes! Believe me, I have. Many too times, if you ask me."

Scully knew she had to help the sheriff with this.

"Where is agent Doggett?"

Scully had a bad feeling about it. She started moving towards the parking lot followed by Jack.

They arrived at the parking lot. Scully ran towards the car. There was Mr.Milsap, unconscious.

Scully could not find a pulse, and knew that he was dead.

Jack suddenly moved Mr.Milsap to have a good look at the back of his neck.

He recognized the scar in the back of Mr. Milsap's neck. It was definitely a Goa'uld scar.

"Sweet" he commented.

"Agent Doggett is not here!" said Scully, running towards the outdoors parrking lot.

Scully arrived to the outdoors parking lot, and she saw an incredible scene. Doggett was pointing the hand device that Colonel O'Neil had described to a man. With surprise, Scully recognized that the man was Assistant Director Skinner, her FBI superior.

The device in Doggett's hand started to glow.

"Agent Doggett, no!", she screamed. Suddenly, there was a noise similar the ones seen in the movies when a laser gun is used, and Doggett fell. Scully turned around to see that Jack had shot Doggett to prevent him from attacking Skinner. However, Scully had never seen the gun that he had used, if it could be called a gun. It was gray, and it was curved. It reminded her of a snake.

"Are you all right, sir?" she asked Skinner.

"Yes I am, Scully," he answered.

Scully was relieved to find a pulse in Doggett's wrist.

"He is going to be fine. This gun is called a zat. It only paralyzed him," explained Jack.

However, there was another problem. The scar in the back of Doggett's neck indicated that the Goa'uld had taken him.

Jack knew what he could do to save Doggett. It didn't bring good a good memory to him. He had been host for a Goa'uld once. Fortunately, he had been able to survive. A friend had put Jack in a cryogenics chamber quickly after the Goa'uld had entered him, so that the Goa'uld would freeze and die. Jack hadn't enjoyed this experience, and he wasn't happy about making someone go through the same thing. Plus, he didn't know if it could work on Doggett since the Goa'uld had obviously taken control of him. It was maybe too late already. However, the alternative was to let the Goa'uld inside Doggett, which wasn't better.

"He has to be put in a cryogenics chamber," Jack said to Scully and Skinner.

"That would probably kill him," argued Scully.

"The thing inside him will die first. Believe me, I know!" he said.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" asked a suspicious Skinner.

"This is Colonel Jack O'Neil, with the Air Force," said Scully.

"Agents Scully and Doggett are two agents under my supervision. As such, I am responsible for them. I need to know on what basis are you suggesting that we need to freeze agent Doggett," said Skinner to Jack.

"Look, I cannot tell you why I know what I know. I can only tell you that if you really care for him, you'll do what I am asking and as fast as possible!"

Scully was half-listening to the interaction between the two men. She wondered how Jack could know what to do. Could she trust him?

She asked herself what Mulder would have done, and then she had her answer. He would have done exactly what Jack was saying. He would do whatever it took, as she told Doggett once. She made her decision.

"The hospital must have a cryogenics department. We bring him inside." She said, trying not to see Skinner's surprised face.

They entered the hospital and asked for the cryogenics department. A technician came and asked them what they wanted.

"FBI! We need a cryogenic chamber for a person, fast" said Scully showing her badge.

"I am sorry. I am afraid that I cannot do that " said the technician.

"I am a medical doctor, and I am taking full responsibility for it. So, do it, damn it!" said Scully in a tone that indicated that she wouldn't hear it otherwise.

The technician wasn't pleased, but he had no option.

"Ok. Do it " he said.

A few moments later, Doggett was in a cryogenics chamber. Jack came in after having called the SGC. He requested to have a helicopter to transport agent Doggett to the SGC. The travel through road was too long. It was only at the SCG that they could make sure that the Goa'uld was truly dead. Similarly, they had to make sure that Mr.Milsap had no trace of Goa'uld left.

Scully looked very seriously at him.

"What is going on here, Colonel O'Neil? I have the feeling that you know more than what you want to say."

"Agent Doggett is going to be fine" Jack, avoiding to answer Scully's question.

"Stop that crap! Look, one of these things was inside me. If you know something that I should know that could affect me or my baby, I think I have the right to know."

"A baby?" asked Jack surprised.

"Yes, I am pregnant. That's why I need to know"

Jack could understand well Scully's worry. He would have felt the same if something had happened to Sara when she was expecting their son Charlie. He wanted to tell her the truth, but he would be disobeying orders.

"For crying out loud!" he thought, "it isn't the first time I disobey a direct order. Plus she has already seen a lot."

"All right, I am going to tell you the truth, but once we are in the helicopter" he said.

An hour later, Scully, Skinner and Jack were inside the helicopter transporting Doggett and the dead body of Mr. Milsap. Scully had called sheriff Ciolino and told him that she had found Mr.Milsap dead outside the hospital. She told him that she would bring him to Washington DC and perform an autopsy on him. It was now time to learn the truth.

"So, tell me, what's going on? Why did you had to invent a cover up story about Major Kawalsky?" asked Scully to Jack.

"I am part of an Air Force top secret project called the Stargate project. We travel to different planets with the help of some alien device that functions as a doorway to different planets. During our travels, we met an alien race that look like snakes and which take host. Once they do that, they take control over the host. We call them the Goa'uld. It seems that freezing the host and the Goa'uld as quickly as possible after the Goa'uld enters the host kills the Goa'uld."

"That's why you suggested to freeze agent Doggett," said Scully, understanding now.

"That's it."

Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado Stargate Command, SGC
Early, the next day.
7h00

They arrived to the SCG. Doctor Janet Frasier and her medical team were waiting for them. The medical team rushed agent Doggett to the infirmary.

"He'll be fine", assured them Doctor Frasier.

"Follow me," said Jack.

Jack led them to the debriefing room. It was a huge room with a large, heavy table in the middle of it. Several chairs were placed around the table, and the SGC logo was hanging in a wall.

Daniel Jackson, Teal'c and Major Samantha Carter were already there.

"Carter! Teal'c! Dannyboy!" said Jack upon entering the room.

"Glad to have you back, sir" said Carter with a smile.

"Yeah, glad to have you back, Jack," said Daniel.

"Welcome, O'Neil," said Teal'c.

Jack made the appropriate introductions.

"This is agent Scully and assistant Director Skinner, with the FBI.

These are Teal'c, Doctor Daniel Jackson and Major Samantha Carter"

"Agent Scully? Aren't you Doctor Dana Scully, who wrote the thesis on Einstein's twin paradox?" asked Carter.

"As a matter of fact, I am" said Scully, wondering how she could know that.

"I read your thesis. I am a doctor in astrophysics!" said Carter truly excited. She didn't seem to notice Jack's here-we-go-again face.

"That was a long time ago," said Scully.

"A very interesting thesis, to tell you the truth"

"Thank you", said Scully with a shy smile.

Scully knew how much her life had changed since she wrote that thesis. If she had not written it, she would not have been assigned to the x-files in the first place. She would not have met Mulder. She would not be here, wondering if she could help agent Doggett.

Suddenly, the door of the debriefing room opened. A man whose stars in his uniform clearly indicated that he was a General entered the room.

"Alright people, let's get started" said general Hammond.

"Oh, my God!" said Scully.

"What is it? Something's wrong?" asked Skinner.

"Sorry, it is only that the General looks a lot like my dead father,"

explained Scully.

"Okay. I am just hoping that you won't start seeing faces all over the place," said Jack.

"As a matter of fact, Major Carter and Doctor Frasier do look like some people I met while investigating the x-files," said Scully while Skinner looked at her as if saying don't bring that old story back.

" I want to know what is going exactly," said General Hammond. "I want to know especially why did you broke the confidentiality of the SGC, Colonel O'Neil," said General Hammond.

Jack knew that General Hammond would understand his reasons for breaking the rules. So, he started explaining the reasons, as Scully and Skinner concurred with him.

Suddenly, a siren started to ring. A male voice started saying "Out of world worm hole activation."

SG-1 and General Hammond got out of the room as soon as they heard that. Scully and Skinner looked at each other silently asking what was going on. They followed the others. They came to the control room. The technicians were busy checking their computers.

"We have a code sir. It is the Tok'ra," said the technician Walter.

"Open the iris!" ordered General Hammond.

SG-1 went down to the Stargate room followed by Scully and Skinner.

Scully was amazed at the sight of the Stargate. The blue light that seemed like water surrounding the Stargate was incredibly beautiful.

Especially when thinking that this device allowed people to travel to other planets. Suddenly, two people came from the other side of the Stargate. The blue light disappeared shortly after their arrival.

"Dad! Martouf!" said Sam with a wide smile in her face. She approached them. She took her dad in her arms.

"Happy to see you, dad."

"Me too, Sam, and so is Selmak" said Jacob Carter.

Sam moved to great the other man.

"Martouf."

"Samantha."

Scully couldn't but notice Jack's face at the sight of Sam and Martouf greeting each other. She had noticed that there seemed to be more between Sam and Jack that met the eye. That reminded her of Mulder and her relationship.

"Mulder!" she whispered.

"What?" asked Skinner.

"I was just thinking that Mulder should be here to see this. He had to see the Stargate work and see that there are more aliens that the gray aliens we have encountered. This is the kind of things he always wanted to find."

A silent fell over them. It contrasted with the joy of the greetings going on around them.

Everyone came back to the debriefing room, accompanied now by Martouf and Jacob Carter. His daughter explained to Scully and Skinner about her dad and the Tok'ra.

"The Tok'ra are basically the Goa'uld resistance. They need hosts like the Goaul'd, but they do not take them by force. We have an alliance with the Tok'ra, and we hope that together we can defeat the Goa'uld. My father joined the Tok'ra, and serves now as a link between our two cultures. He is host to Selmak, and Martouf is host to Lantesh" she explained.

Martouf and Jacob Carter were quickly updated with the situation going on at the SCG.

"And to think that we had come here to prepare the meeting between the High Councilor Per'sus and the President of the USA. This is far more exciting," said Jacob.

"We're ready to help you with this matter," said Martouf "Your help will be appreciated," said General Hammond.

An hour later, the debriefing was over. It was decided that sg-1, Martouf, Jacob Carter, Scully and Skinner would go back to the Juab County in Utah to further investigate the place.

Sevier desert Juab County, Utah
Two days later
14h00

They arrived to the little town where everything had started. Daniel Jackson had brought with him the Goa'uld devices they had found on Mr. Milsap. They arrived to the room where the town's people had previously kept her captive.

"This is the place," she said with bad memories coming back to her.

But she had to come to the bottom of this story.

Sam put the hand device controlling the rings. She pushed on the jewel and the rings appeared. Everyone was transported to the room where Mr. Milsap kept the sarcophagus. SG-1, Martouf and Jacob recognized it at once after lighting their flashlights.

"Holy Hannah!" said Sam.

"You said it, Sam," said Jacob.

"It appears to be a sarcophagus of Ra," pointed out Teal'c.

Daniel agreed, "You're right. It has Ra's eye on it".

"What are you talking about?" asked Scully.

"We have encountered this before. The sarcophagus you see here is able to resuscitate and heal living things," explained Sam.

"But don't use it if you're healthy" commented Daniel.

"That would explain how the slug thing survived after agent Doggett shot it," concluded Scully.

"Yes, he probably placed him inside it," said Sam.

"Okay people, let's see what else we can find here," said Jack.

Everyone started looking all over the place.

"There is not much here besides the sarcophagus," commented Jacob.

Daniel and Sam opened the sarcophagus, but it seemed to be empty.

"Daniel Jackson," said Teal'c.

Daniel went to see what Teal'c had found. Scully and Skinner followed him. Teal'c had found Egyptian hieroglyphics carved on a wall of the cave.

"Do you understand them?" asked Skinner.

"Yes, I do. As a matter of fact, the dialect in which it is written is very close to the language in Abydos."

"Abydos?" asked Scully.

"It's the first planet we visited with the Stargate," explained Daniel.

"What does it say, Daniel?" asked Jack, joining them.

Daniel put him self in the archeologist-who-has-found-the-meaning-of- life-stuff mode.

"It.... It is incredible! It says here that the Egyptian gods Ra and Hathor had another child before their child Heur'ur. Unfortunately, that child was born very sick. It was different in many ways from Ra or Hathor."

Daniel made a small pause, and continued.

"It says here that it couldn't control the magic as Ra or Hathor were able to. Ra and Hathor were disappointed because of that. They tried to heal their child with the help of the sarcophagus, but it didn't seem to work. Soon after, Ra and Hathor had Heur'Ur, who was a healthy child. Ra wanted to kill the First child, but Hathor didn't want to hear of it. That is when there was an up-rise, and the ancients Egyptians banished Ra and Heur'Ur, buried Doorway to Heaven and put Hathor in a sarcophagus. The other gods sent her to a country far from the western waters. With time, it was forgotten that Hathor and Ra had a First Child before Heur'Ur."

"Nice story, Daniel, but how that help us?" asked Jack.

"I think that Goa'uld that was inside agents Scully and Doggett was Ra and Hathor's first child. I think that he was born different. That is why the people who were host for him suffered from different symptoms that those who became host for a normal Goa'uld" explained Daniel.

"Different, how?" asked Jack.

"I... I don't know. Maybe it was some sorts of genetic problem. I mean, if there are genetic problems in humans, how's to say that the Goa'uld don't have the same?" said Daniel.

"It does happen," said Martouf.

"That would also explain why the Goa'uld didn't take control over his host as fast as another Goa'uld would," said Jacob.

"He couldn't take control because the host died first," concurred Martouf.

"Excuse me, are you saying that was inside me was an alien creature?"

asked Scully.

"Yes, it was. It was a Goa'uld, though different from the others. But I don't think that you have anything to worry about. Dr. Frasier didn't find anything wrong with you, plus you weren't controlled by the Goau'ld like agent Doggett was," answered Sam.

Daniel approached the sarcophagus again. Suddenly, something caught his attention.

"euhh.... Jack!"

"What is it, Daniel?"

"I think the sarcophagus has a self-destruct."

Jack approached and saw that Daniel was right.

"Great!"

"We probably activated it when we opened the sarcophagus the first time," said Daniel in an apologizing mode.

"Everyone out of here!" ordered Jack.

Sam activated the rings and they got out of the cave. They were now in the room at Mr. Milsap's house. They all ran outside and far from the house. Then there was an explosion, and the house was destroyed.

"Are you all right, Carter?" asked Jack with concern.

Her face was full of dirt.

"Yes, sir. It's only dirt."

"Is everyone all right?" he asked.

Everyone ensured him that they were fine.

"I guess the sarcophagus was destroyed," commented Daniel.

"I think so, Dr. Jackson," agreed Scully.

Cheyenne Mountain Stargate Command, SGC
Two days later.
13h00

They returned back to the SGC. General Hammond greeted him and told them that he wanted a debriefing in an hour. As Sam moved to the locker room to take a shower, she met Doctor Frasier.

"Janet, what's up?"

"I am going to the infirmary to check for the results of the tests we made on agent Doggett. Want to come?"

"Sure," accepted Sam.

"Can I come too?", asked Scully who was just behind them.

"Sure, you're welcome to join us," said Janet.

Couple of minutes later, they were at the infirmary. Janet went to the table were two test tubes were waiting in the centrifugal machine. The machine was still working.

"It is not ready yet. We need to wait couple of seconds," said Janet.

Jack entered the infirmary and made sure every one noticed his entrance.

"What are you doing, ladies?"

"Waiting for the results on agent Doggett's test, sir," answered Sam.

"Good. In the mean time, Doctor, let me ask you how's Cassie?"

"Cassie is Doctor Frasier's adopted daughter," explained Sam to Scully.

"Besides the fact that she is doing some obsession with pajamas pants, she is doing fine," she answered.

"Pajamas pants!" said Sam.

"All sorts of pajamas pants in all sorts of colors and patterns. She wants now a pants with the SGC logo."

Sam and Jack smiled at the idea. Scully couldn't but notice again the sparks between those two.

"That should be fine as long as she doesn't show it to other people,"

commented Sam "Well, maybe I'll give her that for Christmas," said Jack with the face of someone who just had a good idea. "Or... maybe I'll invite her to a fishing trip. Care to join us, Carter?"

"Sir..."

"Stop! Let me guess. You won't come because you think that fun at Christmas time is to spend time at your lab."

The two smiled again. Scully wondered if the "fishing trip" was some kind of a joke between these two.

"The centrifugal machine stopped," pointed out Doctor Fraiser.

Scully looked as Janet took the tubes out of the machine.

"Can you explain what are the tests you are doing on agent Doggett?"

she asked.

"We know that when a Goa'uld dies inside a host, it leaves a protein marker in the host's blood. That's what I am trying to find out. If agent Doggett's blood has the protein marker, then the Goa'uld is truly dead."

Scully nodded in comprehension, hoping that they would find the protein marker in agent Doggett's blood.

14h00

The debriefing started on time. General Hammond was updated on what happened at the Juab County.

Dr. Frasier in turn ensured them that agents Scully and Doggett were doing fine.

"All the tests on agent Scully showed that she has no trace of the Goa'uld left in her. She was a host for a small period of time, so there is no risk for her or her baby. On the other hand, I found the protein marker in agent Doggett's blood. There is nothing to worry about. The Goa'uld is truly dead."

"So, that was the end of the First Child of Hathor and Ra," said Martouf.

"We'll bring this news to the Tok'ra council at soon as possible.

However, we still need to organize the meeting with the president of the USA and the High Councilor of the Tok'ra," reminded them Jacob.

"General Hammond, we would like to see agent Doggett," said Skinner.

"You may see him, if Doctor Frasier thinks it is okay," he said.

"I don't see any problem. They can visit him," said Doctor Frasier.

Scully and Skinner left the debriefing room and followed Doctor Frasier to the infirmary.

They entered the infirmary and saw him. Agent Doggett had a bandage in the back of the neck, similar to the one that Scully had. He seemed to be sleeping, but opened the eyes after a moment.

"What a headache!" he said.

"You had one of those slugs inside you," explained Scully.

"Where am I?" asked Doggett.

"In the infirmary of an Air Force base" said Skinner.

"I don't remember anything."

"That's probably the best, agent Doggett" said Scully.

"We are going back to DC. As soon as Dr. Frasier gives you the okay,"

explained Skinner.

"Glad to hear that. I want to sleep. I feel cold," said Doggett.

Doctor Frasier put another blanket on Doggett. Skinner and Scully left him so that he could rest.

20h00

Scully was inside the room that they had given her at the base. It was a nice room with a large bed. It was nicely decorated with a tree, a large round table and nice paintings. It was decided that Skinner and Scully would spend the night at the base and leave with Doggett the next day. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," said Scully.

Sam entered the room.

"Hello, agent Scully."

"You can call me Dana," said Scully with a smile.

"Thank you. You can call me Sam. I just came to see if everything was okay," explained Sam.

"It is, thank you."

"Dana, I am curious. Can you tell me more about what you do at the FBI?"

"I am part of a department called the x-files. We investigate cases which were unsolved, or cases that are too bizarre for normal investigation," she explained.

"So, that's what you and agent Doggett do?"

"Yes, though agent Doggett just joined the x-files," said Scully.

She made a small pause.

"Before that, it was agent Mulder and me investigating the x-files,"

continued Scully.

"Agent Mulder?"

"Yes," answered Scully.

" What happened?" asked Sam.

"Mulder disappeared not long ago."

Sam noticed the emotion in Scully's voice.

"Oh! I'm sorry, Dana. I didn't want to hurt you with my questions,"

apologized Sam.

"It's okay, Sam. I ... I just hope that one day, I'll find him," said Scully.

"You care a lot about him."

"Yes."

"I can imagine that."

Sam felt sorry for Scully. What would happen if Jack disappeared and she had no idea if she would see him again? What would she do if he were to die? She'd rather not think about it.

We'll, I let you sleep now," said Sam.

She opened the door.

"Sam... Don't do the same mistake with Colonel O'Neil"

Sam was too surprised to talk. Was it so evident that she care more about him that she should?

"I won't," she promised.

Cheyenne Mountain Stargate Command, SGC The next day 10h00

"Agent Scully and Assistant Director Skinner left an hour ago with Agent Doggett. However, he was under the effect of the sleeping pills I gave him. He should be fine. Agent Scully and her unborn baby are fine too," explained Dr. Janet Frasier.

"They know the importance of keeping the secret of the Stargate,"

said Daniel.

"I think we can trust them with that," said Sam.

"I think so too," concurred General Hammond.

"Martouf and my father left too early this morning," said Sam. "They continue the preparations for the meeting between the president of the USA and the high council of the Tok'ra."

"Oh, oh" exclaimed Daniel.

"What's wrong, Doctor Jackson?" asked General Hammond.

"There is something we didn't think about. If agent Doggett had the protein marker in his blood, will get the Goa'uld memories? I mean, like Sam has Jolinar's memories."

The room fell silent for a moment. A Goa'uld had infected Sam during a mission two years ago. She learned later that the Goa'uld was in fact a Tok'ra named Jolinar. However, Sam had received a lot of memories from Jolinar. She was able now to detect a Goa'uld inside a host and she was able to use Goa'uld technology as well.

They understood the consequences if agent Doggett had received these powers and memories from the Goa'uld that infected him.

"I don't think that he will have the memories. I don't have all the memories of Jolinar, and she was inside me longer than the Goa'uld was in agent Doggett," said Sam.

"Hopefully, he won't have them. The protein marker is much smaller than Sam's," said Janet.

"If he doesn't come closer to a Goa'uld or their technology, agent Dogett causes no risk," concurred Teal'c.

"Fine, dismissed," said General Hammond.

The debriefing was over. Everyone left the room.

Moments later, the stargate activated itself, and the traveller was identified as a Tok'ra. General Hammond and Daniel were already waiting when Jack joined them.

A female Tok'ra came through the stargate and presented herself as Anise and her host as Freya. She had a box and an intriguing proposition for sg-1 with her.

Washington DC.
FBI head quarters.
20h00 The x-files office

The office was quiet except for a faint noise of taping.

Scully was taping on her computer an appendix to the report she had made on this case.

"The slug was able to survive three gun shots that agent Doggett fired. It infected agent Doggett as well. Fortunately, freezing agent Doggett proved to be successful into killing the slug. Further test indicated that agent Doggett suffered no side effects from this."

Scully looked up at Mulder's "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster. It was her now saying that she wanted to believe. Not only in the paranormal stuff, but that Mulder will return safe. Her mind wandered to Sam and Jack, hoping that they would find happiness together too. This reminded her that she had to take great care about what she was going to write in her report so she wouldn't betray the secret of the SGC.

"The autopsy indicated that Mr.Milsap died as a result of being infected by the slug. It was unfortunately too late to save him in the same fashion as agent Doggett. It is clear now that the slug is no longer a threat.

Case X-804 is closed."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Marie