Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Nightmares to Dream

by Lucy Everington
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Nightmares to Dreams

Nightmares to Dreams

by Lucy Everington

TITLE: Nightmares to Dreams
AUTHOR: Lucy Everington
EMAIL: Lucy-ann@walkingdisaster.co.uk
CATEGORY: Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: any
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Sam gets a call from a person from her past which upsets her and Jack trys to comfort her
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: I do not own the characters I wish I did but I don't. This story is not to be posted anywhere without my permission. I have not been paid to write this story. No copyrite infringment intended.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This came from a situation which one of my friends found herself in so thanks Amy and thanks to my Beta reader Sarah.

Colonel O'Neill looked at the clock on the wall of the briefing room for what seemed like the thousandth time in the last few minutes. It was strange, Sam was never a second late - let alone five minutes especially not to things like a de-briefing.

General Hammond was also looking at the clock, he was annoyed as he needed to get home early if he wanted to see his Grandchildren - which he did. He decided it was time to get the show on the road.

"Colonel O'Neill! Go and find Major Carter and bring her here immediately," barked the General.

"Yes sir!" Answered Jack, getting up, saluting and exiting the room quickly.

Jack was secretly glad he'd been sent to find her. he was curious this wasn't normal Sam behaviour. Also, Sam had become closer to him recently, and he was hoping, no, dreaming that maybe one day he and Sam would... *For Gods sake - she's part of your team, and you're not supposed to think that way about a member of your team, you've got to stop thinking of her like that* he chided himself.

He checked the labs, the locker room and after that went to Sam's quarters. He knocked loudly, no answer. He tried again, still no answer. He turned the door handle and the door opened.

He scanned the room and saw Sam lying face down on the bed! He almost laughed aloud - his sensible, perfect Major had fallen asleep and was missing a de-briefing. As he approached the bed he heard a soft sobbing noise and froze. She wasn't asleep - she was crying!

Who the hell had upset her this much he wondered? If he ever found out he sure intended to make sure they never even thought of upsetting Sam again. Who said violence wasn't the answer? A woman probably, an idiot definitely.

"Sam" he said quietly. Getting no reply he walked over to the bed and tapped her shoulder gently. "Sam" he half whispered. She flinched at his touched and he took his hand way instantly. "Go away," Sam replied grumpily.

"What's up Sam?" He asked quietly. "Ya never know, I might even be able to help." Sam managed a faint smile but she didn't let the Colonel see it, she rolled over onto her back and looked up at him. He was amazed at how she still managed to look beautiful after she'd been crying for God knows how long.

"Sir I... what are you doing here?" Sam asked.

"I've been sent to find you, General's orders" Jack answered.

"Holy Hannah!" Sam exclaimed.

"De-briefing, Oh heck. I'm really in for it now." She began half-walking, half-running to the bathroom Jack followed. She got half way across the room before she collapsed straight into Jack's waiting arms. "Sorry Sir, I didn't..." Sam started, but Jack put his finger to his lips signaling for her to be quiet.

He supported her as she walked shakily back to the bed where she lay down. He then went and fetched her a drink of water. As he did so he wondered if Sam felt the same way about him as he did about her. He was sure he saw something in her eyes when he put his arms round her to stop her from falling. *She's upset and confused* he reminded himself. *It could be anything, and anyway I'm here to find out what's wrong not her opinion of me.* Pushing those thoughts away, he gave Sam the glass of water.

"Well what's up?" Asked Jack, Sam looked at the floor offering no explanation.

"If you won't tell me you have to tell somebody," he said firmly with a hurt look on his face as he got up to leave.

"Sir no! Don't leave, I'm sorry it's just it's hard to tell somebody something as well private as this," Sam explained.

"Like what?" Jack asked as he sat back down.

"Well it happened this morning but I suppose the reality has only just set in," said Sam.

"What happened?" Jack asked slightly impatiently.

"I had a phone call from... from a Mrs Smith. Her daughter, well her adopted daughter, would like to meet her mother."

"So someone got a wrong number. What's so upsetting about that?" Jack asked, puzzled.

"She didn't get the wrong number," Sam said softly.

"Oh." There was a long silence before Sam began to explain again.

"When I was sixteen I was dating this lad." Sam stopped abruptly and gazed starry eyed into space her thoughts wandering.

*Does she still love him? Has she seen him lately? Are they still seeing each other?* Questions raced across Jacks mind. *What if I've got it totally wrong, what if it's not me she loves after all? Oh God! Oh God!*

"Just after my seventeenth birthday he came to my house one evening my Dad was out."

*Whoa Sam, no need for detail* thought Jack.

"And as you've probably guessed I got pregnant. We didn't mean to, I didn't mean to get pregnant." Sam said sadly.

*So she got pregnant at the age of sixteen. Well this is a side of Sam I definitely haven't seen before* thought Jack.

"Dad went ballistic, and he threatened to throw me out if I kept the baby. He got a temporary posting while I was pregnant so nobody at my other school would know. So I didn't see any of my friends for nine months, they were in more ways that one the worst nine months of my life. And all because no one was supposed to know."

*I sense a but here,* Jack thought.

"But." *Knew it.*

"When I was seventeen Kevin and I split up and he told everyone. Most people didn't believe him, but the betrayal really hurt."

*If I ever get the chance I will beat that idiot senseless. I wonder what his surname is?*

"So now your kid...." Jack started.

"Ann-Marie" Sam corrected.

"What?" Asked Jack puzzled.

"Her name was, I mean is, Ann-Marie."

"Oh - so she wants to meet you, right?"

"Yes! Only I can't go. If I did what would I say? She probably already hates me, why make it worse?"

"Sam, she's your daughter! She won't hate you. You should really go see her." Jack replied.

"But what would I say? 'I'm sorry I couldn't cope with a kid, it wasn't a convenient time for me. Please don't take it personally or anything, I just had to get rid of you!"

"Blame your Dad. He made you give her away. It ain't your fault that he made you give her away, she'll understand."

"But..."

"She just wants to talk to you. Show her you're not going to abandon her again. What she's gonna think if you abandon her twice? Then she'll hate you."

"I suppose your right."

"I always am" teased Jack, and Sam shot him a nasty look.

"Well I am," he said with faked innocence. Sam smiled, realising how easily he could make her smile, hoping and almost wishing he would offer to come with her to see Ann-Marie. That he would offer to 'hold her hand', as such. She certainly wouldn't mind that.

Jack watched curiously as Sam's smile grew. He wondered, well hoped, that she was thinking about him. He couldn't decide whether or not he should offer to go with her to 'hold her hand'. He certainly wouldn't mind doing that.

"Jack," Sam started.

"Sam," Jack began at exactly the same moment.

"You go first,"

"No you," insisted Sam.

"OK well I was kinda wondering whether you might want, what I mean is..."

"Get to the point Jack, I'm not going to bite your head off."

"Well would you like me to come with you to meet Ann-Marie?"

Sam was taken aback she hadn't expected him to ask her! That was just a fantasy. Oh well, fantasies do come true occasionally. She was so happy she got up and hugged him.

'Well O'Neill for once in your life you've actually managed to make your Major happy.' Jack wondered whether now was the time for their relationship to change dramatically. He dismissed that thought until he looked down into her deep blue eyes. He kissed her gently. She drew back shocked.

'Oh God! She's gonna hate me now. What if she requests a transfer. Oh hell.'

Sam on the other hand was scolding herself for pulling away, he'll think I don't like him. Oh God.

"Sam I'm sorry, that was out of line I shouldn't have," Jack apologised.

"No Jack it's alright. You've just turned my worst nightmare into a dream, " Sam said honestly. Jack was so taken a back that it took all his self-control to stop his jaw dropping open. She'd just made his dreams come true.

He took her back into his arms and kissed her gently first and then more passionately.

Suddenly they both heard a soft knocking and a familiar and annoying voice say, "Sam, Jack are you in there?"

"Oh God!" Exclaimed Sam. "The briefing."

"OK here's the story. You had a problem, a private one," he added hastily seeing the look in Sam's eyes "and I've helped you sort it out. Now let's go, quick, before we get into any more trouble!"

THE END!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lucy Everington