Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Bored?

by Lou
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Bored?

Bored?

by Lou

Summary: Can meetings actually be enlightening?
Category: Humor, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 05/02/03

Title: Bored...?
Author: Lou
Email: shirleym_@hotmail.com
Status: Complete
Category: Romance, Humour (I hope!)
Status: Completed
Pairings: Sam/Jack
Spoiler: Divide and Conquer (isn't it always?) Season: None
Rating: None
Content warning: None
Feedback: Feedback is what gets me up in the morning Summary: Can meetings actually be enlightening? Disclaimer: How many times have I told you? I don't own `em, never have, never will...wish I did! "Just the way I'm feelin" is by Feeder and I love the song but unfortunately it doesn't belong to me! Author's note: I hope everyone likes this story (I thought of it during a Maths class...I think that tells you something) Thanks to Kate (sorsha16@hotmail.com) who helped me put it on the site cos I'm something of a technophobe!

"And I feel it's goin down, ten feet below the ground I'm waitin for your healing hand
One touch could bring you round
I feel we're goin down, ten feet below the ground It's just the way I'm feelin"

10:57, SGC Briefing Room, Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado Springs, USA 26th May 2002

He saw her.
He saw her tapping her fingers, almost making a beat. They were drumming on a file of hers, something she didn't really need, but took as an excuse to pass the boredom, pretending she needed to refer something in her notes. He was surprised though, that she had lasted that long. Jack was out of it after thirty minutes. Carter though, had lasted one hour and twenty minutes. A record, he thought smiling to himself. He wasn't really sure why they were both sent to the meeting. Jack was pretty sure that it was a subtle hint for him ,courtesy of Hammond, to get a move on with his paperwork....but what about Carter? His thoughts were disturbed as the ten others who were sitting round the Briefing Room table started to get out of their extremely comfortable chairs. Jack rose too, with a confused frown painted on his face. As they began to leave, Jack whispered to Carter.

"Has it finished?" He asked, he was desperate to lie down. His head hurt from all the talking about diplomacy and interplanetary relations. Carter laughed, slightly pitifully. "No way...sir, this is just an adjournment." Carter checked her watch. "We have four hours till the next break." Jack groaned. He hated these meeting. His presence was of no use...Carter's maybe, but not his. He was bored out of his mind, and was getting near to poking his eyes out with his pen for something to do....but then there was also the fact that he was sitting very close to Carter to keep him alert...she always did look beautiful when she was about to drift off to sleep on his shoulder. "Carter...." He said as she was collecting her things together "do you want to grab something to eat down at the mess hall?" She looked apprehensive "Won't the others be down there? It'll be like the meeting all over again." Now it was Jack's turn to laugh. " Them? Eating down at the mess hall? Carter, sometimes you can be really nave." Carter was stunned but replied back with "Are you saying that's a bad things in your opinion sir?"

"Carter, in my opinion, nothing is bad about you. Nothing at all." Jack said, feeling the level of flirting was about to go off the scale

" I could say the same about you." Carter replied, with a girlish smile.

" You know you could...." Jack smiled at her, locking his eyes onto her own. "I wouldn't mind." They both smiled slightly, but couldn't take their eyes off each other. They were lost in each other's thoughts, their feelings. They both knew what the other felt...those Zaytarc machines had helped with that little problem. But nothing would ever feel as good at those times when they could just look at each other, and not be ashamed, or embarrassed, or paranoid that someone else was watching. The times when they could both see, that they were crazy about each other. They moved closer, Sam latched onto Jack's sleeve. Their heads moved closer and.... The moment was broken when Daniel walked into the room, although he wished he hadn't as he saw Jack and Sam jump apart. Sam excused herself, looking and feeling rather flushed and seconds later, Jack did the same, with more of a gruff goodbye than Sam.

12:26

He was late. He felt the glare of Hammond on him and he nodded to him, knowing it was going to need a big explanation....except he didn't have one. After the whole moment that Daniel interrupted Jack stormed to his quarters and went to sleep...waking just after the meeting started. He took his time figuring that if you were going to be late, why not really late? He slid into his designated seat next to Carter, who avoided looking at him. After ten minutes of Lieutenant someone-or-other explaining about something Jack wasn't really listening to, Jack turned his head towards Carter, who was pretending to listen intently to the person speaking, but he could see her eyes flitter over the objects in the room; she wanted to be anywhere but there. After fifteen minutes, Carter felt a vibration in her pocket and covertly brought out her pager. She read the message, realising she and Jack were needed by Daniel. They made their excuses and left the room, and soon as she closed the door, she felt an arm pull her back.

"Sir?" She asked, confused
"Danny doesn't need us." O'Neill explained in a whisper "I just sent you that message so we could get out of there....it's doing my head in."

"Colonel!" Carter exclaimed and saw O'Neill's "Come on, you hate it too" face. "OK." She relented "I didn't want to be stuck in there either, but the General will kill us."

"Danny-boy'll cover...he always does." Jack said, starting to walk away.

"You've done this before?" Carter laughed and ran after him.

12:43, Mess Hall

"How may times have you bailed from the meetings then sir?" Carter asked as she sat down in the mess hall with him. They luckily found a free table (and two bowls of blue jello)

"Let's just say that you and Daniel rely on my expertise frequently." Jack said eliciting a giggle from Carter. God, he loved that sound.

" You really hate them, don't you?" Carter said, as she shovelled more of the jello into her mouth.

" I don't exactly hate them....despise is more the word I'd use to describe my feelings." O'Neill replied

"Why?" Carter asked
" Come on Carter. Don't act the innocent with me. I know that you get bored out of your enormous brain sometimes." O'Neill said with a grin on his face Carter blushed. "I know....it's just most things seem to bore you...I have noticed you catching up on sleep during some of my presentations you know."

"Well...." Jack joked "problems with new naquada sampling techniques don't keep me awake at night like they do with you, I'm sure." Sam felt like telling him that he was what kept her awake at night, but kept her feelings to herself. "Such is the life of a brilliant scientist." She laughed and then checked her watch. "How long do you think we can get away with this?" Jack looked at this watch. " We probably should have been back a couple of minutes ago." Sam looked slightly disappointed "But we can stay longer.... I'd much rather be with you." This time it was both of them blushing. Jack's dormant hand, resting on the table was a few millimetres away from Sam's. Her finger began to brush the top of his tanned, muscular hand and they smiled lovingly at each other, without having to say a thing until they saw the familiar figure of Janet approaching, and again they sprung apart.

"Uh...I need to go talk to Danny for a second. I'll see you back here in five minutes Carter." Jack excused himself hurriedly as he vacated the seat opposite Sam for Janet.

"Hey...what the heck was that about?" Janet asked, eyes significantly wider than they were before.

"What was what about?" Sam asked, slightly annoyed at her luck that day.

"The whole "looking into each other's eyes, I fancy you like crazy, do you want to have sex on this table?" thing." Janet said as though it was blindingly obvious. It was, to everyone apart from O'Neill and Carter.

"Janet!" Carter admonished her friend and started to go a deep shade of red "I don't think the whole population of England heard you that time!"

"Well....." Janet said with a grin "It's not like you don't know he fancies you."

"He does not!" Sam said, not believing her own words. "He's my CO, nothing more."

"Don't you mean he cares about you MORE than he's supposed to?" Janet giggled

" That was just something that...." Carter started to say but Janet interrupted her, feeling on a roll of one liners.

" You both feel." Janet resorted to saying as someone walked past. Contrary to Sam's belief, she didn't actually want the whole base to know about their feelings for each other....they'd never get together that way.

" Janet. I love you. You're my best friend....but you need to stay out of this." Sam said, getting slightly annoyed. Sam started to get up from her seat but Janet held onto her wrist and pulled her down back into the seat.

"I'm sorry Sam." Janet apologised. "I just want you to be happy. And as a best friend of five years, I think you path to happiness lies with..."

"Not the person you want it to be." Sam said, a slight pain radiating from her eyes. " We don't feel that way about each other...we never will." Sam got up from her seat despite quiet calls from Janet. "Can you tell the colonel that I'm in my room because I don't feel too good." Janet nodded reluctantly and sat in the mess hall, wondering what the hell she had done.

1:00, Briefing Room

They didn't meet in the end. Frasier told the colonel that Sam needed to lie down, saying that she felt sick. He ventured to the meeting and apologised for Carter's absence and slithered into his seat. The meeting carried on as before, but he couldn't help feeling the lack of Carter's presence...he liked it when she sat beside him and he could feel the warmth radiating from her body. He liked it when he saw those frowns of concentration when she was having difficulty with one of her "doo-hickeys". He liked it when he saw her smile of delight and satisfaction when she solved a mystery. He liked it when she understood the looks of bafflement in her friend's eyes when she was trying to explain her theories and then she'd repeat it in layman's terms. He liked it when he saw her able hands glide over some alien object that no-one except for her could understand, and her rapture when she finally discovered the key to it's workings. He liked it when he saw the flash of vulnerability and "girlishness" when her father would visit; regressing back to her years as a daddy's girl. He liked everything about her. No, he thought. He loved everything about her. He loved her.
He loved her.
But there was one thing he knew for sure, that the beautiful and intelligent Samantha Carter, would never love him.

1:37, Briefing Room, SGC.

The door creaked open and all the faces turned round to look at her. She nodded her apology and returned to her seat next to Jack. His face was surprised. He couldn't believe that she actually came back to the room. He wanted to believe that she came back so she could see him...but he knew that he was just wishing.

"Hey Carter." He said as some of the others started to have a irate argument about something or other. "You came back." She nodded "Couldn't leave you here on your own sir. You need some backup." Sam smiled and Jack got that familiar tingling feeling in his stomach.

"Well I appreciate that a lot. You might be the one thing that stops me from falling asleep on the desk." Jack joked, knowing that was the honest truth. Carter smiled.

"Ditto." Sam said, hushed back to him. "It's boring me and I've only just sat back down." Jack smiled at her and touched her lightly on the top of her thighs to emphasise his point. "We got a long while yet darling." He joked in a cowboy style voice. Sam looked down at his hand, resting on her thighs and she looked back at him, uncertainty permeating her large blue eyes. He was about to apologise and start to blush when she slowly and without braking their gaze brought her hand on top of his and intertwined their fingers together. And that's how they stayed for the rest of the meeting, silently acknowledging their love for each other.

10:16, Lane's Coffee Shop, Colorado Springs. 27th May 2002

She waited anxiously in the coffee shop. She was supposed to be here ten minutes ago. She hadn't taken the call. She was in the shower, hoping to get rid of the feelings that she had really screwed up Sam's life. Cassie took the call. She could hear her teenage daughter laughing raucously on the telephone, and knew it was Sam. She could do that to people. Make them laugh about the most un-funny things in the world. It was a gift... Her thoughts were disturbed as she saw a blonde figure standing in front of her, half smiling and half frowning.

"Hi." Sam said cautiously.
"Hey," Janet replied in the same tone of voice. Their parting yesterday wasn't exactly on the best of terms. "How are you?"

"Good." Sam replied, sitting down in the seat opposite Janet. "I'm a lot better than yesterday." There was silence. Uncomfortable silence. "I'm sorry I was so inconsiderate. I shouldn't have been so forceful..."

"No." Sam interrupted with a serious face that broadened into a grin "I'm not here to tell you that I'm cross. I'm here to tell you thanks." Janet was curious but started to twig what was happening. "You didn't? Did you?" Janet asked , her eyes enlarging with amazement. Sam put her fingers in a "peace" sign and just said "Twice." Janet giggled and slapped her friend on the arm playfully. "You go girl!" This time it was Sam's time to laugh at her normally serious friend. "I know." Sam said, taking a seat bow. "I feel so good."

"I bet you do." Janet said, not being able to get over the fact that they had finally realised what everyone else could see on the first day they met. "How was it?"

"It" Sam replied, biting her bottom lip playfully "was great. The best by a LONG way." Janet giggled again. "I'm so glad for you...what was it like...being together?"

"I woke up this morning and he was just looking at me. He was just watching me sleep Janet. And I just said it."

"Said what?"
"I said `Colonel, I love you.'"
Janet grinned "And what did he say?" She almost had to coax it out of her.

"He said ` That's a coincidence Major, because I love you too'"

"Oh my god!" Janet said, half wanting to shout the words out. "Who knew he could be so eloquent?" Sam playfully punched her friend. "It was the most romantic moment of my life." Sam said looking at her friend. "And you helped me have that."

"I did?" Janet said sipping her coffee.

"You know you did."
"Well I do like to think of myself as the SGC matchmaker." Janet said

"You're on a winning streak. Successes-1. Failures-0" Sam joked. "Now we just have to do something about you and Daniel." Sam said, glancing at her friend to see the inevitable reaction; she'd blush whenever his name was mentioned.

"Sam..." Janet said and their conversation stopped when Jack walked over to the table and stood awkwardly in front of them.

"Ladies." He said. He was dressed comfortably, and his face was happy; reflecting his mood about Sam. As she got up from the table, and stood next to Jack, they looked like the perfect couple. They both looked a little bit shy of each other until Jack said "See you in two days Doc" and he took Sam's hand in his own.

"Sure." Janet replied, shocked at their eagerness to show their love to everyone.

"See you Janet." Sam said her goodbye and strolled out the shop with Jack. She saw them jump into Sam's car, she was laughing, at one of Jack's corny jokes probably; she was showing just how much she loved being with him and she saw the pride in Jack's eyes....this was for real, Janet thought. Definitely.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lou