Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Everlasting Series 4: No Longer Mourn

by Lorina Dara Raenon
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
No Longer Mourn

No Longer Mourn

by Lorina Dara Raenon

TITLE: No Longer Mourn
AUTHOR: Lorina Dara Raenon
EMAIL:majorlorina@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance/Angst/Adventure, Sam/Martouf
SPOILERS: 'In the Line of Duty' and 'The Tok'Ra' (Part 1 and 2)
SEASON / SEQUEL: Takes place late in Season Two. Part 4 of the Everlasting Series
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: A little ol' fashioned romance and minor languauge.J
SUMMARY: After an unsuccessful attempt by the Tok'ra to cure her, Sam lies on her deathbed.
STATUS: Complete (last part). Part 4 of the Everlasting Series
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author, Lorina.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

The small group assembled around the crystalline bed hung their heads in disbelief and shock. The pale form atop the structure lay still, spare the moments when a tremor racked her body. Martouf lay a gentle hand on Sam's forehead, and she murmured quietly.

"Sammy, you've gotta stay with us," Jacob Carter pleaded, tightly clasping his daughter's cold hand.

"I wasn't strong enough," she answered.

"You are, Samantha," Jacob encouraged, "You've always been strong."

"Not this time, dad," Sam whimpered, slumping her head to the side.

A silence descended upon the room. Peace.

One of the Tok'ra healers approached, glancing passively down at Samantha before looking up at Jacob Carter. "We have done everything we can. The damage to her brain has been repaired, but I am afraid her body suffered the brunt of the stress. All major systems have been debilitated."

Martouf glanced downwards, startled at the bad news. He glanced over at Jacob quickly. "May I have a moment with your daughter?" he said urgently.

Jacob looked down at Sam sadly before nodding his head reluctantly. He turned slowly, moving out of the room with a hand covering his eyes.

Martouf glanced back down at Sam, taking her clammy hand in his. "Samantha. You are dying. If you take a symbiote now, you could live."

Sam glanced away in alarm, her eyes filling with panic. "I can't."

"But if it could save your life. . ."

"I know. But I can't do that, Martouf," Sam cried out. "I've had too much go on already. Jolinar's memories were enough. I can't make room for a third. I just can't."

Martouf gripped her hand tighter as Lantesh assumed control. His eyes closed briefly for a second before they were rekindled with the symbiote's power. "We cannot let you die. You must understand this. If you die, then all that existed of Jolinar will be no more."

Sam glanced down with frantic eyes. "Is that all I am? Just a vessel for Jolinar? Don't you care about my life?"

Lantesh lay a hand on her face, stroking it softly as a tear slid down her cheek. "I am sorry. Believe me when I tell you that you are more then that. We learned that the day we met you. That is why you cannot die. You have. . ..potential."

Sam looked back in confusion. "Potential? What do you mean?"

But her answer was cut short when Lantesh's eyes closed. A moment later, Martouf opened his anguish filled eyes and glanced back up at Sam Carter. "I could not bear it if you. . .we are bonded."

Martouf clutched her hand tightly, twining his fingers through hers. She smiled weakly, squeezing his hand. A disturbance outside the room's entrance distracted the two. A guard moved inside quickly.

"More Tau'ri passed through the Chiaapa'ai. They are waiting outside," the guard reported to Martouf.

Martouf glanced up anxiously. "Bring them in."

The guard nodded, motioning for the newcomers to enter. First Jack, then Daniel, and then Teal'c entered.

"Jacob told us about her condition," Daniel explained, moving quickly to Sam's bedside, "How is she now?"

Martouf glanced up at the rest of SG-1 and shook his head grimly. "She is very weak. I do not believe she will survive."

"Well you said you could cure her," Jack exclaimed, stepping closer and throwing his arms out in frustration.

"The procedure was successful in that it restored her normal brain functions. However, it weakened the rest of her body considerably," Martouf explained calmly.

"I can't believe we let you do this," Jack shook his head in disgust.

"Jack. . ." Daniel tried to intercede, sighing heavily.

Jack O'Neill raised his hand to stop the young doctor. "You're killing her."

Samantha moaned, shifting slowly on the bed. "Jack, don't."

"I should've known a Goa'uld would destroy her," Jack hissed, lunging his face inches away from the Tok'ra.

Martouf's eyes lit up brightly and his face distorted into a grimace. "I did not kill her, O'Neill." Lantesh hissed.

"Yeah? Well, explain to me how we sent her away in one piece and after you were done with her, she's here lying on this table dying!" Jack yelled.

"I will not argue with you," Lantesh attempted to keep a cool head.

"Why not?" Jack prodded.

"Jack!" Daniel cried out. "She's losing consciousness!"

"Tell me, why have you been so interested in her lately? Trying to turn the captain into one of your drones?" Jack hissed, continuing to verbally attack an angered Lantesh.

"We are not Goa'uld!" Lantesh spat. "I am merely concerned for her safety."

"Jack, she doesn't look well," Daniel yelled, poised over the table.

Teal'c ran up alongside Dr. Jackson and turned in urgency. "O'Neill, you must come quickly!"

"Safety? Oh really. Tell me. . .why do you care?" Jack argued, still locked in a heated argument with Lantesh.

"I love her!" Lantesh yelled out in fury.

Silence. The entire room stopped. Martouf's eyes returned to normal, and his chest rose with each passing breath. His eyes narrowed as he glanced up at O'Neill. "You know the truth. Does it please you?" Martouf growled.

Jack remained silent, his eyes searching Martouf's face quietly. He turned to Daniel, having collected himself. "What should we do?"

"As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that can save her now is a sarcophagus," Daniel answered, rubbing his forehead.

Martouf glanced over at Daniel, cautiously, almost holding back his words.

"You have one, don't you!" Jack exclaimed, scrutinizing Martouf as he walked around him.

Martouf's eyes wavered for a moment. "It is not ours, if that is what you are implying. I know of one."

"What ever happened to the taboo of using the bad ol' sarcophagus? I thought you guys weren't for that," Jack pointed out suspiciously. He adjusted his hat out of annoyance.

"We did not use it," Martouf answered carefully, "It was on the previous world we were hidden on. Finding it meant that the Goa'uld had been there. Therefore, we were not safe there, which is why we fled to this world," Martouf answered, turning to Jack.

"Well then, let's take Sam there. It could save her life!" O'Neill remarked loudly.

Martouf glanced over at the Colonel thoughtfully, looking over at Carter with a worried look in his eyes. "I would normally abstain from using that device."

"But in regards to the circumstances, I don't believe we have a choice," Daniel pointed out. He watched Martouf pace the room, deep in thought, and occasionally casting an indecisive glance over at Sam. "Listen," Daniel said, moving towards the Tok'ra, "We don't have a choice. Time is running out. I know how you feel about the sarcophagus, but it's our only hope. Speaking from experience, I know how addictive it can be. But if we use it just once, it could save her life without any lasting side effects."

"Alright, I will take you there. But I can't promise our safety. The Goa'uld could be there." Martouf answered, determination filling his eyes.

"Well, then that's a risk we're just gonna have to take," Jack answered, hoisting his firearm upon his shoulder.

Deep, uncontrollable anticipation filled his throat for a moment. He pushed in the symbols for a world he thought he would never return to again. Glancing up, he gathered his composure as the gate's chevrons locked into place. The gate lit up wildly as the wormhole was established. Martouf glanced over at the team and nodded. O'Neill raised his gun, nodding for the others to do the same, and carefully stepped through the gate. The Tok'ra watched as the remainder of the team slipped through the portal, casting uncertain glances back at their fallen teammate.

Martouf paused to set Samantha down on the ground. Her head slipped to the side as she gently made contact with the ground. Kneeling in front of her, he placed a supporting hand behind her head and lifted it slightly. He smiled as he brushed a strand of her hair from her face and glanced up at the warm sun meditatively. Lowering his head, his eyelids flickered for a moment before Lantesh surfaced.

"I am sorry we could not save you ourselves. I would have given my life if it had meant your survival. What we do now is out of desperation," Martouf explained quietly to Sam. Her eyes flickered briefly. "For you. . ..my love."

Her lips parted slightly in response. He slowly lifted her from the rocky ground, glancing ahead at the shimmering gate. Finally, he stepped towards the gate, not knowing what lay on the other side. But it was a risk he would have to take. A risk he needed to take. It was the only way she could live.

Searing sunlight greeted the team as they leapt from the gate and onto the former world of the Tok'ra. O'Neill winced in the intense sunlight, pulling down his shades quickly. Daniel pulled his hat down slightly, lifting a hand to shield his eyes as he scanned the surrounding area.

"Where to?" O'Neill asked, glancing back at Martouf.

"Beyond that ridge is an ancient ruin. The sarcophagus lies within," Martouf instructed. He held Sam tightly in his arms.

"I hope the Goa'uld aren't on this world," Daniel mumbled at Teal'c.

"As do I. We must remain alert, Daniel Jackson," the Jaffa responded.

The group rushed onward across the thin sand of the arid plain. Spare the occasional cactus, life was scarce on the world. O'Neill took the nearest ridge. He cautiously slowed his ascent and finally fell on all fours, inching his way up for a look on the other side. He craned his neck for a few minutes, giving the surrounding valley a careful survey. A large stone temple lay in the valley below.

Jack turned to the group assembled below. "All clear!" he yelled.

"We must hurry. I don't think there is much time left," Martouf responded, glancing down at Sam.

The group hurried towards the temple. Jack stumbled down the ridge to join his team. He wiped the sweat from his forehead, mumbling something about the heat, before replacing his hat. As they neared the ruins, Daniel took a brief moment to glance up at the huge, crumbling stone columns that dwarfed the team. The pillars almost resembled those of Earth's Roman culture. Yet the temple had a flare for the otherworldly. Its walls were inlaid with a stone he had never seen before. The stone walkway that surrounded the ruins was eroded and cracked, probably from centuries of weathering.

Martouf led the way, carrying Sam as though he were lifting a feather, and brushed passed the columns towards a dark doorway. He followed the entrance through a long, dark passageway, not hesitating as SG-1 tried to keep up.

"I have a bad feeling," Jack admitted, casting a suspicious glance backwards.

"Well, can you save it for later?" Daniel asked sarcastically.

The group emerged from the hallway into a large hall. Daniel scanned the room in marvel. Tall statues flanked either side of the great hall. Judging by their stately composure and incense alters, he guessed that the temple served as some sort of religious mecca of the previous culture.

"Here," Martouf said, pointing towards an all too familiar sight. A large sarcophagus lay at the top of a set of stairs. Placed there some time ago, it should have gathered dust.

O'Neill ran a hand across the surface, frowning when he found his fingers dust free. "Okay, get her in there now. I want to get off of this rock," he ordered.

Martouf proceeded, moving closer to open the sarcophagus. He glanced down at Sam before he laid her in its interior. Her face had grown disturbingly pale. Martouf brushed aside a strand of her hair and touched her eyelids. She opened them slowly, trying to speak, but her lips moved slowly. "Don't speak," Martouf said softly, touching her lips with a finger.

He slowly lowered her into the Goa'uld device, setting her down on the base inside. He bent over the device, dropping his head for a moment. "I swore I would never use this device," he muttered, before activating it.

Jack waited for a few seconds before motioning towards his Jaffa companion. "Teal'c. Cover the door. I have a bad feeling about his place."

Teal'c inclined his head in compliance and moved towards the hall's entrance. O'Neill turned his attention from his Teal'c and was about to move towards the sarcophagus before Daniel grabbed his arm. Jack," he whispered quietly, "maybe we should leave them alone for a few minutes."

O'Neill glanced back at Martouf, who hung over the sarcophagus with an intense look on his face. Jack resisted for a moment before Dr. Jackson's coaxing expression changed to determination. He left the hall with Jackson trailing behind, casting a suspicious few glances behind.

Martouf leaned heavily against the sarcophagus. Time seemed to have slowed to a grinding pace. He was anxious to see her condition. To see if the Goa'uld device had worked. He pressed his head against the cool surface in quiet meditation. He could sense her presence beneath. Very faintly at first, but the sensation grew more paramount as he listened.

Sam lay very still. Her eyes moved rapidly beneath closed eyelids, as though she were dreaming. She panicked a bit when she felt the onrush of energy course through her weak body. But as the sensation turned a soothing calm, she relaxed. And then she suddenly felt a presence. Nearby, she assumed. She didn't bother to open her eyes. But there it was. Just beyond the space she was confined to. Sam tried to reach out to it, and it seemed to draw closer. It was him. Of that she was certain. She felt a warmth touch her cheek, and then she realized it wasn't physical. The feeling was warm, tender, and comforting.

And then another sensation surfaced. She felt a sadness lingering in the background. A sadness too unbearable to remember. But a piece of it broke free from her subconscious and manifested itself in the form of a tear.

"Goodbye, my love," the voice she had lived with for so long, echoed.

And then another voice broke through the silence. "Goodbye. You found beauty in this life. May you find it in the next." Lantesh's words drifted.

The sadness seemed to dissolve. To melt away from her mind. Sam could still feel the faint echo of Jolinar, but the grief that had lain inside was lifted away. Perhaps the mourning was over. A silence followed the reunion. Not a sound nor a voice broke the quiet.

Sam called out frantically. "Martouf? Are you there? Where am I?" She couldn't move, realizing the words she spoke were all in her mind. A second passed, nearly an eternity by her judgement.

Than a familiar voice answered. "Samantha, I am here."

"What's happening?" she asked, her voice shaking,

"Don't talk. Rest," his deep voice soothed.

"Don't leave me," she responded fearfully.

"Never," he said.

Martouf opened his eyes partway. He could feel Lantesh's grief pass. As a host, he had found the feelings of a being older than himself to be overwhelming. At times uncontrollable. But now, he could feel Lantesh's, then his own sadness, slowly ending. It seemed to lift a weight from his heart. To give his life purpose. He lifted his head from the sarcophagus and pressed a palm against the controls. The lid slid open. The occupant murmured softly as he ran a finger across her tear stained cheek.

Sam slowly opened her eyes at the touch. She looked up to see Martouf standing over her with a tender smile upon his handsome face. She smiled in return, lifting herself up. Samantha smiled widely as she realizing her strength had returned. Her mind was healed. And now her body boasted a strength she had not felt in weeks. Martouf offered a hand and she accepted, allowing him to lift her from the sarcophagus. She climbed over the edge, pausing before him for a moment, in silence.

"Thank you," she whispered, "for everything. You can't imagine how good I feel now." Sam glanced around with a smile on her face.

"I think I can," he answered.

"The grief Jolinar felt is. . ."

"Gone?" Martouf asked.

Sam smiled, "Yes. How did you know?"

"I feel it too," Martouf answered, drawing closer. "Lantesh has accepted her death. As have I."

"I don't think I could have gotten through this without your help," Sam said thankfully.

Martouf smiled broadly. "I would do it again without hesitation."

Sam smiled sadly, closing her eyes, and brushing the side of her face with a finger. He reached over, stroking her face tenderly. She wept lightly at the touch. An emotional remnant of her illness? She didn't care. He drew her closer, and she submitted, falling into his comforting arms. She rested her chin on his shoulder as he drew his arms around her and held her tightly. Sam felt so content, as if the whole world had paused for this single event. She felt Martouf's finger loop underneath her chin and lift her face to his. She opened her eyes, looking into the eyes that had ingrained themselves in her memory. He slowly tilted his head as he pressed his lips to hers. She succumbed to the kiss. And for a moment, their minds touched.

Heavy footfalls sounded in the corridor beyond the hall and Martouf lifted his head in caution. Sam glanced over at the darkened door with a startled look in her eyes.

"The Goa'uld may be here. We must leave quickly," Martouf said.

The two ran to the door. Teal'c smiled briefly at Carter as he caught up with them "You are well. We must leave."

"How did they know of our presence?" Carter asked as she ran alongside Teal'c and Martouf.

"The Goa'uld may have had this planet under surveillance," Martouf explained.

They ran down to the end of the dark corridor, where Jack and Daniel were waiting. Jack held his gun tightly against his chest as he poked his head out to scan the area. "C'mon, we have to go. Our snake friends have made their entrance," Jack said coldly before turning to Sam. "Good to see you again, captain," he said, offering a brief, rare smile.

"Thanks," Sam returned.

"The sarcophagus worked then?" Daniel asked, adjusting his hat.

"It appears to have completely restored her strength," Martouf smiled.

Running out the door, Jack raised his gun and waved it around. Daniel followed with Sam and Martouf on his tail. Teal'c provided rear cover as he emerged from the temple and looked back.

"Run, people. I don't think we have much time," Jack shouted.

"But, sir, where are they? How did you know?" Sam called out.

Jack swung his weapon around, firing at a Jaffa who emerged from the ridge. "That's how," Jack exclaimed. "They've been coming one at a time. I think they're scouting us."

The group ran hard across the arid soil and ducked behind an outcrop of rock at the foot of the ridge. O'Neill raised his head, just beyond the edge, to glance down at the area where the stargate stood. He nodded to the others, and leapt out, running through a pass amid the rocky ridge. The rest trailed behind him, scanning the area around for more Goa'uld.

"Uh. . .Jack. We have company," Daniel warned, pointing upwards.

Jack raised his eyes to the blue sky to see three death gliders approaching quickly. "Dammit," he mumbled. "We can't match them. We're gonna have to make a run for the gate. Sam, are you up to it?"

Sam shifted her eyes from the approaching craft and nodded solidly. "Yes, sir."

"Alright, follow me. And for god sakes, don't run in a straight line. Or else we'll be an easy target," Jack outlined, running his fingers along the brim of his hat.

The group ran out into the small, open plain, casting an occasional glance at the sky. The death gliders shot over them, pitting the ground with weapon fire. Daniel shot a hand up over his head in a futile attempt at cover. Teal'c aimed his gun at one craft, firing several times before giving up on the attempt, as the death glider screamed over his head.

Martouf ran beside Sam, charging ahead once the dialer was in sight. He stopped in front of it, looking up quickly, and then over to Jack. "We must go to Earth. The Goa'uld will discover us if we go back to the Tok'ra."

"Fine then," O'Neill yelled impatiently. "Daniel, dial us up and send a signal to SGC. And make it fast."

Dr. Jackson lunged for the dialer, pressing in the appropriate symbols quickly. Just as the gate opened in a fury of blue energy, the death gliders turned in a wide arc, heading straight for them. O'Neill paused a moment, watching the stealthy craft approach with a menacing barrage of weapons, kicking up the sand in angry plumes. After Daniel signaled SGC, O'Neill motioned for the others to hurry. He waited as his team jumped through. Daniel was the first to go, followed by Teal'c. Martouf placed a hand on Sam's back as he glanced behind, before jumping through with the captain. Satisfied that his team was safe, Jack sprinted through the gate.

"It's good to see you, Sammy," Jacob Carter smiled, hugging his daughter. "I thought for a moment. . ."

"Dad, don't even think about it. I'm fine now," Sam reassured him, offering a smile.

"We're in your debt," General Hammond stated. "You've restored Captain Carter's health."

"Naw," Jacob smiled, waving a dismissive hand in the air. "No debt."

"It was only our pleasure to aid Captain Carter," Martouf said strangely, glancing over at Sam.

Sam smiled back. "Thank you. . .for everything."

Jack cleared his throat out of unease and nodded towards Martouf. "You guys came through, and for that, thank you." Daniel glanced over at Jack and smiled with approval.

General Hammond leaned forward in his customary seat at the head of the conference table. "Well, Captain. Now that the debriefing is over, I assume you're fit for duty again?"

"Of course, sir," Samantha nodded.

"Good," Hammond exclaimed. "I've got a new mission for SG-1, but that will have to wait for later. In the meantime, would you escort our guests back to the stargate?"

"With honor, sir," Carter answered.

As Carter led the Tok'ra down a corridor, Jacob brushed up alongside her. "You two should talk."

"What?" Sam asked, following her father's glance to Martouf, who walked ahead. "Oh."

Jacob smiled wisely and gestured for the additional Tok'ra to follow him to the gateroom. Martouf stopped and turned back. Sam fidgeted for a moment, not sure of what to say during the awkward moment. "Can we talk?" she asked, pointing towards an empty room.

"Yes," Martouf replied, following her into the room.

Sam waited a moment, pacing the room as she thought. Finally, she stopped and turned to Martouf. "The past few days have been rough. Emotions have run high. I know things were said in vain."

Martouf offered a puzzled look. "What do you mean?"

"What you told me in the caves. . .about our bond. You missed Jolinar. You wanted her back," Sam said.

"I meant what I said," Martouf spoke up. He studied her for a moment as she bit her lip. "I can see it makes you uneasy."

"No," Sam replied, "it doesn't. When I was in the sarcophagus, you were there. I couldsenseyou."

"And I you," Martouf replied, fixing his gray eyes solidly on hers.

"What scares me is what could happen if I give in to these emotions," Sam admitted, rubbing the side of her arm.

"You did. . .for a moment," Martouf answered, clasping her hand gently.

Sam smiled sadly, squeezing his hand. Her watery blue eyes looked into his for a moment. "Before. . .I could never understand what you and Jolinar had. But now. . .I think I can. It's almost an insatiable desire to be with you."

Martouf raised a hand to brush aside a lock of her hair. "I have to go," he whispered.

Sam cupped a hand to her face for a moment. " I know." She laughed quietly for a moment.

"What is it?" the Tok'ra asked, tilting his head.

"You said that toher," Sam pointed out sadly.

"I did."

"And you said you would never part," Sam whispered.

Martouf ran his hand along her jawline and looked into her eyes. "Iwillcome back," his words echoed in the room, "when the time is right."

Sam turned her head away in sorrow. "I feel that bond. It's strong. How will I be able to go on now? Things are different. I'm not the same."

"Take this," Martouf said softly, opening her hand. He cupped her hand and tipped his, allowing a delicate chain to drop into her palm.

She glanced up at him in surprise. Then she took a moment to examine the ancient pendant. "It's beautiful."

"Wear it. And remember me when you do," Martouf responded.

Sam threw her arms over his shoulders and let him embrace her. She shut her eyes tightly, feeling the outside world melt away for one brief second. Martouf's voice audibly changed, assuming Lantesh's deep voice. "Never forget," he said, pulling away slowly and walking out of the room. Disappearing from sight. From this world.

She cupped the necklace tightly before slipping it over her head and under

her fatigues. "I won't," she whispered, before trailing behind the procession, on their way to the gateroom.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lorina Dara Raenon