Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Donut Day

by Lilla
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Donut Day

Donut Day

by Lilla

Summary: Today is a donut day, and these are the best days.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/29/03

Some days are black coffee days. Cup after cup after jug, and deadlines and sirens and, and...

Other days are jello; red and blue, and playing at arguing in the commissary, but never about anything real.

There are oatmeal days. These are the days when he looks at her cryptically, and the urge to ask him what he's thinking only just loses out to the fear.

"Major, I order you to join me topside for a snack."

Today is a donut day, and these are the best days. The days when they sit atop their mountain in the sunshine. He will produce a Boston Cream from a grease-spotted bag, and she will pretend to be surprised.

"I have a lot of work to do, Sir."

First she will pretend she isn't going to go. She will make him coerce her, and she will pretend to herself that it isn't because she needs to be reminded how much he wants her.

"Carter, c'mon. I've got -"

But she will always go.

"I'm coming."

Sun, and tiny budding flowers in shades of pale blue and yellow, these are the reasons he brings her here. Sitting on top of the mountain, quiet and still, you can forget for a few minutes how deep underground it goes.

God knows she needs to forget.

"You've got a -" he gestures towards her face awkwardly, "- a crumb."

She brushes her hand across her mouth, and it comes away with a smear of chocolate on it. Her finger is halfway to her mouth when she sees him watching and wipes the smudge on her fatigues instead.

"Gorgeous day, huh Carter?"

This is the part she loves best. The part where they make small talk, and pretend that they've never saved the world.

"Oh yeah. I mean, wow, the crocuses are out so early this year. We can blame global warming, I guess. We should probably have realised earlier that you can't really erode a great big hole in the ozone layer without any environmental effects."

He screwed up his face for a moment, then looked around himself again and smiled.

"If these are the effects, I'm not complaining." She laughed, and he joined in.

"Just you wait until we get some real global warming, Sir. How do you feel about Colorado Springs as a desert?"

"Not too fond of deserts, Carter." He paused, waggling his eyebrows. "Sand gets in all those uncomfortable places."

"Clearly, Sir, you've experienced deserts in ways I haven't."

Luckily, he was smart enough, or nervous enough, to leave that one alone.

Taking a substantial bite from her donut, and dripping cream filling down her fatigues jacket in the process, Sam racked her brain for something safe to discuss. Jack saved her suddenly by pointing to a ring of mushrooms growing amidst the grass just to the left of where they were seated.

"My sister used to tell me fairies put those there, especially when they grew in a ring like that."

Sam smiled at the thought of a young Jack, enthralled by the tales of his older, wiser sister. "And did you believe her?"

"I was a seven year old 'tough guy'." O'Neill chewed, swallowed the last of his donut, and grinned. "Of course I believed her, but I knew better than to admit it."

Fingering the closest mushroom, Sam dredged through her memory for the knowledge she required. "The real reason they grow in circles is because the mycelium spreads uniformly from an original growth point, like a tree stump, and the fruiting bodies - the mushrooms - flourish on the perimeter. Sometimes the fungus can persist for as much as hundreds of years, until the rings it forms are spread far enough not even to be noticeable as rings."

"That's right, Carter. Suck the fun out of it." Jack scratched the back of his neck and shrugged. "Don't you ever just want to believe in fairies?"

And as she smiled back at her commanding officer, Sam realised that, on a donut day, that was exactly what she wanted to do.

"Yes, Sir. Yes, I do."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lilla