Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

ZENITH

by Leana Effrenus
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
ZENITH

ZENITH

by Leana Effrenus

Title: ZENITH
Author: Leana Effrenus
Email: rbbr10664@blueyonder.co.uk
Category: Drama
Season: future Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Jack makes a new friend.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

ZENITH

PART - 1

The figure was laid face down on one of the infirmary beds, the first thing that hit you was the hair, there were masses of it, and it was red! It was also filthy, as were the clothes, what little there was of it, it really had to be a female, though she wasn't sure with all the filth and hair. The second thing to grab Sam was that the girl was laid completely rigid, there didn't seem to be a muscle in her entire body that wasn't taught, to be honest Sam thought she looked terrified, and that was without even seeing her face. Major Samantha Carter was about 5' 9" with short, wavy, blond hair and bright, blue eyes. "So where did she come from?" She asked Janet, who was also stood watching the girl, "Well, SG5 was on a standard recon mission when they found her, unconscious, not far from the gate, they hadn't seen any other signs of life so they bought her back here, only when she woke up on the bed there she was not very happy about it, she flew of the bed straight at one of my people, she cut him up really badly before we managed to sedate her, then she laid down like that and I don't think the sedative is having a very good effect, she's not unconscious but she does seem to be out of it a bit, I just don't know what to do with her, I can't even get her restrained and we think she has a nasty wound on her left hand which is probably infected, she also needs a wash." This last was said as Janet wrinkled her nose in distaste at the rather overpowering smell coming from the bed. Doctor Janet Fraiser was a petit, pretty woman, around 5'6" with shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes "Right," Sam was also at a loss as to what to suggest, without getting close enough to get hurt they couldn't help her, or even wash the filth off of her, as she was trying to think of something Jack strode into the room, Colonel Jack O'Neill was about 6'3", with well-muscled shoulders and a slim waist, with short dark grey hair, and chocolate brown eyes, and wearing his khaki casuals with his hands in his pockets he had the air of a man who owned the place. "Good morning campers." Sam smiled at him and shook her head, "Morning Sir, were having a little problem here." Jacks head tilted slightly to one side and his eyebrows raised, "Oh?" He never liked to be in the dark about anything so Sam explained the situation to him, "Get a hose pipe on her," He said with a smile, "She'll soon come round." Everyone there knew he was joking but as he said it Sam could have sworn she saw the figures head move slightly in his direction, curious, she tried to see if she could get the same reaction again, "Maybe a bucket of cold water would do the trick?" She asked with a grin but it got no response at all from the girl and Sam was starting to think she must have imagined it, until Jack spoke again, "Well, whatever you do, get on with it, Hammond wants to see the results from those test things you did at the last place." As soon as he started to speak the girl's head turned towards him and her body even began to relax, not much but it was visible, then Janet spoke and she went back to how she was, "Well if you don't mind Sir I could do with Sam's help on this one." "Ok, but don't take all year alright." Jack said grinning, he was about to walk out when Sam called him, "Sir, could you stay here a minute please," As Jack came back and stood rocking on his heals waiting for a reason, Sam called Janet over to the door and very quietly said, "This may sound weird but watch her when the Colonel talks, she seems to be reacting to him." Janet looked sceptical but went over to the bed and watched as Sam started to talk to Jack, "Sir where are you going from here?" Jack looked at her suspiciously, he knew she was up to something but couldn't figure out what, "I was going to accompany you to Hammonds office, why?" Sam didn't answer him straight away, but looked at Janet instead, who was shaking her head in wonder, she looked over at Sam and nodded, waving her hand for more, "And can you tell me what you're doing this weekend?" Jack was getting more and more confused, "I'm going home, I think, what's going on here?" Jacks confusion had taken a swift turn into annoyance, it would not be a good idea to make him wait much longer. "Sorry Sir, she seems to be reacting to your voice!" Sam was even more surprised than Jack was, "Huh?" Sam grinned, "Well every time you speak she relaxes, it's the first time she's done that since she woke up." "Oh, so she likes me." Jack said looking slightly confused, then he grinned again and said, "That's not unusual, I'm a nice guy!" Sam smiled and shook her head at him again, "Why don't you try to talk to her? See if you can get a better response out of her." Jack started to move towards the bed when he realised what Sam had said and paused to ask, "What do you mean, a better response?" Sam looked a little sheepish, "Well, she kind of attacked the last people who got too close." "Oh, great, only 'kind of', not a real attack then, it's not like I'm about to get hurt or anything." Sam just stood there looking anywhere but at Jack who shook his head, sighed, and went over to the bed.

PART - 2

"Well, here we go then, you really don't want to hurt me you know," He said to the figure. "You really will like me once you get to know me, and pretty much everyone on the base is as well, you have to watch out for Carter though, she's a sneaky one she is, she'll trick you into getting her own way, but then you probably already noticed that didn't you," As he spoke and moved slowly closer Jack realised that she really was relaxing, it was great to know that he could help someone like this, he usually only got to do the damage side of medicine, not the good side like this. "You know, I bet you would be a lot more comfortable if you were clean wouldn't you, and you'd look a lot better too." The head moved at that and Jack thought he might be getting somewhere. "It's amazing what a shower can do for the way you feel, all that hot water and soap, there's nothing to beat it, especially first thing in the morning." Jack wasn't quite sure what else to say, then he remembered hearing about an injury to her hand, "I hear you've got an injury on your hand, you know we can help with that, if you let Doc Fraiser look at it she can make it stop hurting." As soon as he said that he got his first real response, her head came up off her hands and she looked straight at him with a mixture of fear and hope. Jack was shocked as he saw her face, she was actually a very beautiful woman, and she would look even better if she was clean, her nose and mouth were small like the rest of her and her eyebrows were slim and jet black, in total contrast to her hair, but the real surprise was her eyes, they were yellow, and she had oval pupils, like a cat, he had never seen anything like it before. He looked at her and smiled, the fear was starting to leave her eyes and curiosity was taking over, "Can I see your hand?" The girl looked right into his eyes and he felt like his soul was being searched, then very slowly she started to move her hand out from its hiding place under her chin toward Jack's waiting hand. When she finally reached him he looked over at Janet and said, "I think your gona need to do something with this." He looked back at the woman and said to her, "I want my friend here, Doc Fraiser, to look at your hand, it's pretty bad, it must hurt a lot, but she can stop the pain for you, will you let her?" The woman looked at Jacks eyes again and then at Janet, and gave the smallest nod Jack had ever seen, "Right," Jack smiled, "This is probably gona hurt, but it will make it better soon, almost everything gets worse before it gets better, so you just hold onto my hand and when it hurts you squeeze, but not too much, I'm a wimp really, I can't stand pain." The woman started to look concerned until Jack started grinning and she realised he was joking, so she took his hand with her free one and her grip was quite impressive, until Janet put a needle into her hand for the local anaesthetic, at which point it became more like a vice than a hand grip and Jack almost cried out himself, though she remained silent through out. When Janet had taken the needle out she turned to Jack and said, "This is really bad, the infection could have been here for months, if I can get rid of it at all it's going to take a while, I'm surprised she didn't pass out with the pain." Jack looked up at her and said, "I'm surprised I didn't, you should feel the grip this kid has." When she heard Jack refer to her as a 'kid' the woman looked at him and frowned, she was obviously not pleased. "Sorry, didn't mean to insult, it's just a figure of speech." The woman raised her eyebrows and then smiled shyly and whispered "Sum Kita." Jack looked at her in surprise; he had started to wonder if she spoke at all, and now he wondered what she was talking about. "I recognise that, it sounds like something Daniel taught me." She looked at him questioningly, "Daniel?" She asked hesitantly and Jack smiled, remembering his friend, "Yes, Daniel, he was very smart and knew a lot of languages, but I don't remember a lot of it," Jack thought back for a moment then said, "Sum, doesn't that mean 'I am' or something?" The woman looked at Jack and smiling she nodded, "Well, I'm glad you understand me at least, that should make things go a bit faster." Jack turned to Sam, "Can we get someone in here who understands this properly?" "Nallus." The woman looked at Jack, then over to Sam and Janet, and she sounded very definite. "Nallus? I think that's 'No'. "Euge Deliciaearum!" Jack figured that one out rather quickly but didn't really think they needed a full translation, the 'Darling' bit on the end wasn't really necessary. "Uh, she thinks that's great, it's kind of a 'Bravo' thing. So you don't want an interpreter?" She smiled at him, "Nallus deliciaearum." Jack looked a little confused for a while as he tried to hear what she was whispering. "Right." Jack actually looked very pleased with himself. "So, what happened to you back there?" "Sum persona non grata." Jack looked shocked; "They didn't like her there." Jack said to Janet and Sam, then looked back to the woman and said. "What were these people like?" The woman whispered for a while and Jack had to lean closer to try to hear her, "From what she says she was an outcast for a long time, ever since she can remember. She wasn't like the others, apparently they didn't like her eyes." He turned to her again, "What is your name?" She smiled, "Kita deliciaearum." Jack smiled, "Right, everyone, this is Kita, Kita, this is Carter, and Doc Fraiser." Kita looked at them in turn, still hiding her face under her hair. "Ubi castra deliciaearum?" "Uh, it's Jack, and yes this is a military base, on Earth, Colorado Springs to be exact." Kita tilted her head slightly and her brow furrowed as she asked, "Te vis magnus, vindex civitatis. Sum erratum? (You are a great man, a defender of the state. Am I wrong?)" Jack smiled but failed to interpret for the others, "Yes, sort of, you're not wrong." She nodded, "Me sui generis, subvenio me." Jack shook his head, "You don't need protection here, no one will hurt you." Jack looked at her and she stared into his eyes again then nodded, "Te vis magnus." Jack raised his eyebrows depreciatively, "Thanks." By now Sam and Janet were less than enthralled with the unintelligible conversation, and Sam asked, "So is this the language of the Ancients?" Jack looked round at her and said, "No, this is Latin, just the same as they used to speak around," Jack paused as he tried to remember where they had spoken Latin, "Wherever they used to speak it." Sam smiled at Jacks usual level of memory, it was more than just unusual that he could understand this woman, it was a miracle. Throughout the conversation Kita had kept on looking round the room and trying to see threw the door, she seemed to know someone was coming before they got there, and Sam wondered if it had something to do with the way she kept on smelling the air, and apparently it did. "Quis est iste?" Jack looked at her, "Who is that man? Which man?" Kita looked at a loss for words "Non amicus? Hostis? Enemy?" When Jack heard the English word he was very surprised, "Enemy?" "Ego ol-eo pav-eo." Jack couldn't believe his ears, "You can smell the fear? Where?" Kita pointed to the door, just as the NID's latest lackey came in, but he looked anything but scared, then Jack realised she must have been referring to the sergeant given the job of escorting him on a tour of the base. As he walked through the door Colonel Harp saw Jack sat next to the woman in a hospital bed and decided to prove right from the start that he was no push over like some of the previous NID agents assigned to the SGC, "Well Colonel O'Neill, they said you were obsessed with work but they didn't say you were this desperate." Which only proved how stupid he was. Jack was furious and stood up turning to him but he was nowhere near as fast as Kita herself, she almost flew out of the bed, and with a feral hiss, landed on his chest, forcing him to the floor, where she swung up her arm for the blow that would slit his throat, but just as her nails began to slice into his throat Jack yelled at her, "Stop!" Harp was lucky her reactions were as fast as they were, he would have been dead in less than half a second. Kita looked down at him and hissed again, then she bounded straight up off of him and landed, crouched and ready to strike again, on the end of the bed where she turned towards Jack and leapt straight over his head landing right behind him, where she crouched, terrified, and looked round his legs at Harp. She slowly took her eyes off him and looked questioningly at Jack. "Why?" Jack was looking at her in amazement, she had moved just like a cat, only faster. "We don't kill people for being idiots." Kita looked around the room, thinking, then said, "He is your enemy." Her speech was halting and quiet but easily understood. "He wants to," She paused looking for the right word. "Disgrace you." Jack looked down at Harp who was beginning to stand up with the help of the bed. "Yeah, probably." Jack said, glaring at the man. "But hey, don't worry about it, better men have tried and failed, now lets get you washed up, you'll feel much better when you're cleaned up, and I think we can even get you some fresh clothes, if you don't mind khaki?" Kita looked at Jack and slowly began to smile, and then when he offered her his hand she laughed and took it, slowly following him out of the room. When they had gone Janet moved over to check on Harp's wounds and called Sam over to see. "Look at this Sam! This is unbelievable, no nails could have done this, this is the work of claws at least two or three inch's long." Sam couldn't believe her eyes, if Kita had had nails that long they really would have noticed them before now, so how did she do it? Jack was still amazed with the way Kita moved and paid so much attention to her surroundings; every time someone came near them she would tighten her grip on Jacks hand and on many occasions he thought about asking for it back, but then she would smile up at him and it was unbelievably flattering, she would talk to no one else and even when he had showed her where the showers were she would not let him go, which became a little embarrassing, so Jack had the room cleared and started the shower for her while trying to persuade her that he would wait right outside the door, however she was having none of it, she didn't even let go of his hand as she began to undress and she obviously found it extremely amusing to watch him squirm. "So, what's it like where you come from then?" Jack asked her while trying to look at anything but her, "Cold, nasty people." She told him, he still couldn't believe how quickly she had picked up the language, she was actually one big enigma, she was sophisticated and yet child like at the same time, she spoke the language after only a few hours and she moved more like a cat than a person, and every little sound sent her into a panic but other than that she was perfectly normal, while he was considering how to get out of the room Kita finished undressing, somehow without letting go of his hand once, and moved toward the shower, when she reached it she put her hand under the water and immediately screamed pulling it back and leaping again over Jacks head, for the first time letting go of his hand, "What the hell?" Jack couldn't understand what was wrong but she had landed behind him and, wrapping herself around him, wouldn't let go, "Fire, nasty. Fire." She was shouting at the shower and Jack finally understood what was wrong, "It's supposed to be hot, look." And he put his hand under the running water, it took almost five minutes to get her back into the water, and all that time Jack was trying to look at anything but her, which wasn't easy, he was only human after all. Jack also spent five minutes trying to explain shampoo and conditioner, then he gave it up as a bad idea, grabbed the bottle of shampoo, told her to turn around so her back was to him and pored some on her hair, it took forever to try to get the shampoo through her hair with only one hand, Kita had re-taken possession of it before she would get back near the water, and even longer to get it back out again, then came the really hard part, trying to get the knots out of her hair, somewhere Jack had heard that knots were easier to remove while you had conditioner on, so he found a comb and spent over half an hour clearing the knots out, by the time he was done he was soaking wet and starting to get really cold, then it occurred to him that he was going to need a change of clothes, and somehow he had to get her to leave him alone for long enough to make use of them. "Can you stay here and let go of my hand for two seconds while I get something?" Jack wasn't sure if it wouldn't have been easier to take her with him but didn't think it was a great idea, "Why?" Kita whispered, though she didn't turn round, she had quickly realised that Jack was more likely to stay without complaint if she stopped turning to face him, "Well, I'm soaked through, I need some clean clothes." Jack waited for her reply; she looked up at him over her shoulder and said, "Ok." "I wont be long." Jack smiled, he was finally making progress, she was letting him out of her sight, but if he had known what she was thinking he might not have been so pleased, as soon as he mentioned a change of clothes Kita realised he would have to take off what he was wearing to change it, and that was fine by her. Jack hurried out to the door where he knew a Sergeant was waiting and asked her to get him a change of clothes, he knew it would take a moment and rather than chance a problem with Kita he went back in to tell her what was going on. "Hey, the clothes will be here in a moment so I'll have to go back out and get it ok?" Kita was crouched in the corner of the shower and looked terrified so Jack went over to her and crouching down in front of her took her hand and said, "I'll be back in a minute, you're doing fine, don't worry." When Kita finally gave him a small smile Jack got up and went to find the sergeant. When the sergeant got back with his clothes he took them into the dry area ready for when they were finished, then Jack grabbed two of the big towels and a small one for her hair and went back into the showers. Kita was still crouched in the corner when he got back and he tried to hand her a towel saying, "Here, if you wrap up in this then you wont get cold." As she was starting to get up the back door burst open and a sergeant walked in, when he saw Jacks face he quickly back tracked out of the door but the damage was done, Kita hissed in fear and flew at Jack, she wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck and would not let go. When Jack was over the initial surprise of finding her attached to him he realised that however light she was he should have been thrown at least a little by her sudden arrival, but he had hardly felt her land, after a moments thought on the matter he decided it wasn't worth thinking about just yet, so he tried to get Kita to let go of him but soon gave it up for a lost cause, she was shaking violently and he could feel her tears falling on his neck where she was crying uncontrollably, so he carried her over to the shower and stood under it with her, trying to get her warm again. Jack started talking to her, about nothing in particular, small things like fishing and astronomy, and why he loved them both, before long she had calmed down enough to let go of him, they sat next to each other under the running water and he talked about his home and when he had first met Daniel. Daniel had been bought in by the Air Force to help translate the markings on the Stargate, when he had finally cracked the code, by realising that they were not words but constellations, he had gone through the Gate with Jacks team to Abydos where they had destroyed Ra, an alien parasite called a Goa'uld posing as the Egyptian sun god and creator of all things, sadly Daniel had suffered a fatal dose of radiation while saving the employees of an alien bomb facility, and even though they might have been able to save him, he was visited by a being called 'Oma de Sala' who had once been corporeal like humans, but since risen to a higher plain of existence and lived as pure energy, able to manipulate nature at will, who, on their previous meeting had started to teach Daniel how to join her, she offered to finish guiding him to her higher level of existence, so he had asked Jack to let him go, and however much Jack knew they would miss him, they couldn't deny him the rise to another plain, so they let him go. Then Jack had told her about the second mission where they had met Sam and Teal'c, Teal'c is a Jaffa, a worrier race subjected by the Goa'uld and used as soldiers, who have little choice but to obey them as they are dependent on an infant Goa'uld, or Primta, in place of their immune system, and have also been under the false belief that the Goa'uld are Gods, he is at least 6'3", heavily muscled, bald, and black with broad shoulders, a narrow waist and deep brown eyes. It was then that Jack realised that for some reason it was easy to talk to her, maybe because she didn't expect anything from him, it was quite a while before he could persuade her that getting out of the shower was a good idea, and even longer to get her to agree to doing so alone, so he took his towel round the corner where the curve of the wall afforded some privacy and stripped of his soaked clothes. Jack had just finished drying himself off when he felt Kita's soft fingers trace the line of his spine right down his back, he pulled away and turning to her while tying the towel round his waist, said, "What you doin?" Kita smiled at him, "What does it feel like?" That shut him up instantly, there was no way he was going to answer her, so Kita took advantage of his silence by pulling his head down to kiss him, but it wasn't long before he pulled away, though reluctantly, and said, "Whoa, wan' a go a little faster here? We only met a few hours ago." Kita looked at him confused, "Yes." Jack was stunned, "And we hardly know each other." Kita still looked slightly confused, "And?" Now Jack was a little worried, "And, do you do this with every male you meet?" Kita looked hurt by this and pulled back slightly though she still didn't let go of him. "No. I was waiting for you." And that really worried him. "What do you mean?" Kita started to explain as if he should already know, "When I was ready I heard your voice, I saw you in my mind, and I knew you would be my teacher. I have known for a long time now, I met one of my own kind once, she told me, I will see the one who is meant to teach me, then I will go and find the one I will love, this has always been the way of my people, that is why I knew your voice, I can not find my amabis until you teach me what to look for!" Jack looked at her in stunned silence; he really could not believe what he was hearing, he had to 'teach' Kita in order for her to find a real mate, otherwise she would be alone forever, and that really was not an option, and it wasn't like teaching her would be a hardship, but there were other considerations. Kita could see his defences falling and moved in before he could change his mind, but it was only moments later that the Sergeant started knocking on the door, Jack pulled away from Kita again and looking at her with deep regret in his eyes he shook his head and pulled his trousers on and Kita knew his regret had nothing to do with being interrupted, quite the opposite, walking over to the door Jack opened it slightly and spoke to the Sergeant, "What is it?" The Sergeant looked worried at having to interrupt him but said, "Sorry Sir, General Hammond wants to see you, its something to do with your guest and the NID," The woman paused trying to find an accurate but polite word, "Agent." Jack knew she had been thinking more along the lines of 'Jerk' and he was impressed with her self-control. "Ok Sergeant, tell him I'll be there in a few minutes." Jack paused and thought for a moment, "Where does he want to meet me?" The Sergeant grinned, "In the infirmary Sir." Jack nodded, "Right!" and went back to find Kita fully dressed, in her underwear. "General Hammond wants to see us both in the infirmary, you're gona have to get dressed." Kita looked at him slightly confused but decided to cover it up with a witty comment like Jack so often did, "Why do you wear so many cloths?" Jack raised his eyebrows and tilted his head for a moment as he thought, "Well, I suppose it helps keep us warm, and it does stop too many office romances, how could we concentrate if everyone was dressed like that?" Kita grinned at that and Jack realised just what a wicked grin she really had, "You like this then?" Jack looked at her and stepped back out of reach, "No more of that, we have to see General Hammond, and we can't be in two places at once, get dressed, please?" Kita knew that Jack would never be hers and though she was upset, she wasn't really surprised, she had known from the start that his heart belonged to another so she decided to do as he asked and put on the rest of the clothes while Jack finished dressing and it wasn't long before they were back in the infirmary, Kita's hand wrapped firmly around Jack's once more.

PART - 3

"Glad you could join us Colonel O'Neill." Jack could see that General Hammond wasn't happy even without the tone of voice and use of his rank, "Sorry Sir, we had a little trouble in the showers." The General raised his eyebrows at that but Jack just shook his head and said, "Never mind." General Hammond looked from Jack to Kita for a while before he continued, "I have received an official complaint from Colonel Harp regarding your guest." Jack interrupted, "To be fair Sir, she's not my guest she was here before I met her, and he started it, he insulted her and she didn't appreciate it, I'm only sorry she beat me to it." General Hammond glared at him for that, he really should learn when to keep his mouth shut. "Guest or not Colonel O'Neill, she will have to be restrained if you can't control her." Kita didn't like the sound of that at all, she had been stood next to Jack but she slowly moved around behind him, keeping him between the General and herself. "There's no need for that Sir, she's not a threat to anyone here, she's more scared than anything, if he can keep his filthy mind to himself I'm sure she'll leave him alone." General Hammond looked at him and shook his head, what was it about this man that made everyone want to throw the rules out of the window to accommodate him? There wasn't a person on the base who wouldn't ignore any and all orders for Jack, and he didn't even have to ask for it. "Very well Colonel, but she's under your care, keep her in order." Jack grinned, "Yes Sir, always." General Hammond smiled at him and left the room before he started laughing. Janet walked over to Jack and Kita and said, "Sir there are some questions I'd like to ask Kita if it's alright." Jack looked at Kita and raised his eyebrows in question; she looked at him for a moment, her mind still on the idea of restraints, and then nodded. They moved over to a bed and Jack sat next to Kita who still wouldn't let go of his hand. Janet looked at Kita and said, "When you hit Colonel Harp you left some deep holes in his neck, can you tell me how you did that?" Kita looked at her in confusion for a while then said, "I struck him." Janet smiled, "Yes we know you struck him, but how? If I struck him, even if I tried to scratch him I wouldn't leave a hole like you did, it was more like claw marks, not nails." Kita finally seemed to understand what Janet was getting at, "Because I have claws." She said smiling at Jack. Janet still looked confused so Jack said, "Can we see your claws Kita?" She smiled at him and nodded, "Of course you can." Kita offered one hand up for inspection and as Janet was about to comment on the lack of claws she flexed her fingers ever so slightly and the nails suddenly grew to about four inches long. Janet jumped back in shock and Jack raised his eyebrows again, this was definitely a turn up for the books. "Cool." Jack said, "How do you do that?" Kita smiled up at him, "That is who I am." Jacks smile grew, "Yes, I can see that, got any other nifty tricks like that?" Kita grinned at him slyly, "A few, you want me to show you some?" Jack looked at her grin and realised she was talking specifically to him, not Janet, and he stared squirming with embarrassment as he replied, "I think we can wait until later for that." Luckily Janet had been looking at a chart while this was happening and she said, "Well, it would be nice to have some idea of what Kita is capable of Sir, just so we know." Jack looked at Kita's grin and wondered how discreet she would be. "Yeah, I suppose it couldn't hurt." Janet looked at Kita and said, "Do you think you could show us a few things you can do?" Kita smiled at her, "Of course! Where do I begin?" Janet was almost stumped until Jack said, "Well you seem to have a good sense of smell." Kita looked at him, "Yes, I know there are thirty eight people on this level, and there are several levels. I know we are under ground, very deep. I also know there are four people in your team, two of them are not the same as you, and then there is Carter." When she said Sam's name there was a definite dislike in her voice and Jack couldn't understand why. "One of the others is strange, he seems to be two almost, instead of one, but I do not know why." Kita looked a little confused at this and smiling, Jack said, "Junior." Janet smiled in awe at Kita's sense of smell, it would be amazing to know that Teal'c had a symbiont from just meeting him, but to know from just smelling him on Jack was unbelievable. "Who is 'Junior'?" Kita asked and it was clear that she was even more confused by this; Janet looked at Jack and smiled as she told Kita "Junior is the symbiont that Teal'c carries, it's the name Colonel O'Neill gave it." This pleased Kita a lot, she liked anything Jack liked, and to her mind Jack must like it if he named it, little did she know that Jack, and every one else on the SGC had a love hate relationship with Junior, they loved that it kept Teal'c alive and well, but they hated that it would one day mature and require a host, just like any other Goa'uld. The Goa'uld are a snake like parasite, that need to be in a human host to survive, many thousands of years earlier, some Goa'uld had broken from the main group and decided to be peaceful and co-exist with their host, instead of completely dominating them and trying to take over the universe in any way they could, and called them selves the Tok-ra, which literally translated, means against Ra, which was the name of the head Goa'uld until he was killed by Jack and Daniel on their first mission through the Stargate, but most Goa'uld are capable of doing anything to make themselves a little bit more powerful, and they have a group called the 'System Lords', who are the most dominant. At that point Sam walked back into the infirmary and said to Jack, "Sir, General Hammond asked for your full report on our guest as soon as possible please, he has other things that need your attention," Sam grinned, "I think he's getting a little jealous of all the attention Kita's getting." Jack looked over at her and smiled, "Thanks Carter, tell him I won't be long, would you?" Though he wondered who was getting jealous of Kita's attention, "Sure thing." Sam answered and walked the few steps to where Janet stood listening to Jack and Kita. As soon as she got there Janet said quietly, "Don't say anything Kita shouldn't hear, her hearing is off the scale, in fact, we would probably have to leave this level, or the Mountain to be sure." Sam looked at her stunned, "Wow, that's good hearing." Janet looked at her thinking that it may have been the understatement of the year. Jack looked back at Kita again and asked, "So any other little tricks you'd like to share with the class." And he put plenty of emphasis on the last three words. Kita smiled at him again with big eyes and a cheeky tilt to her head, "Of course, I can also smell how you are feeling, the fear, anger, hatred, friendship and love all leave their own smell on you, though I must admit I have never been in such an enclosed space before, or surrounded by so many people, it is a little confusing in here." Jack grinned at her; it was confusing enough without having to smell all that as well as hear and see all that they already did. "Oh." Kita said in sudden recollection, "I can also cleanse people, of the evil in them, it is not easy but I have done it before, one of the village elders started trying to rule over everyone after he had been possessed, and I cleansed him. I can also jump well, and run fast, and my claws will cut anything you want." By now Kita was looking very pleased with herself and Jack couldn't help returning her infectious smile. Jack suddenly thought of something and asked, "Kita, have you met any of your own kind?" Kita's smile faded a little as she replied, "I have only met one of my kind, she taught me all that I know about who and what I am, she told me I was too young to know how to use the Stargate, I was not yet wise enough, and then she told me why." Kita seemed a little embarrassed, "She told me the story of the most famous of us, apparently there was a pride of our kind who visited a small planet which was over run by some very nasty creatures with glowing eyes, at first they looked like the others on the planet but the pride soon realised that they were possessed by some kind of parasite, at first the pride were horrified by the behaviour of these creatures and tried to reason with them on behalf of the people but it didn't work." Kita's voice got lower and she obviously wasn't pleased by what she was about to tell them, "Then the leader was hurt in an accident, she would have headed herself in time but the creatures offered an immediate end to the pain and placed her in a coffin, but when she came out she was different, she began to agree with the creatures, not fight them, it wasn't long before the entire pride had used the coffin and become different." Jack looked over at Janet and both of them knew the other was also thinking about the Goa'uld sarcophagus, but the couldn't understand why the Goa'uld would allow the 'pride' equal status, it was standard practice among their kind to treat all others as inferior, and subjugate them, not allow them equality. Kita seamed to get more and more uncomfortable in the telling of the story, "To our shame this went on for years, until a new creature came through the Stargate, she was very different to the parasites and taught the people to rebel against their slavery, but she was soon killed by the creatures, when this happened the pride realised what had happened to them, they had been defiled by the parasites technology and they soon cleansed themselves, but Amaruka was still dead, they could not help her, she was so different to them, however, in her honour they continued to help the slaves in secret, pretending to go along with the creatures but all the time working behind their backs and persuading them that it was time to leave that planet, afterwards Bastet changed her name in disgrace, and they left the creatures company immediately, ever since then we have been left to mature alone on quiet planets so that we will never again be tempted to forget who we are or why we are here." Jack looked at Kita and asked, "Bastet? She was the cat goddess of the sun wasn't she?" Sam looked at him in disbelief, "How did you know that?" Jack looked back and he was not impressed, "What? You think I worked with Daniel for five years without learning anything?" Sam was instantly contrite, "I'm sorry Sir, it's just that Mythology was never your kind of thing." Jack was sorry he had snapped at her but he was also sick of everyone treating him like he was deaf of stupid, or both. "It's not, but these aren't myths are they? They're my job! You can't fight an enemy you don't know Carter, you know that. It's not like anyone could spend five years listening to Daniel without picking something up, you'd have to be deaf or stupid, wouldn't you?" Sam was genuinely regretting having said anything, she could see Jacks point, with anyone else she would have expected them to know a lot after working with Daniel, but like most people she automatically assumed that Jack wasn't listening, and not only was she getting an earful, but it had obviously bothered Jack, and bothering Jack was not something she did unless she couldn't help it, especially now that Kita was around, Sam had seen what happened when she got protective over Jack. Jack looked at Kita and said, "I don't suppose you realise that that was this planet, it was our people that were turned into slaves, by the Goa'uld, then Amaruka started the uprising and we kicked the Goa'uld of the planet and buried the Stargate, Bastet was one of our Egyptian goddesses." Kita was stunned for once, she had heard the story and related it but she had still half believed that it was made up to keep her people from ever falling into such a trap, but to find out that it was not only real but had happened on this planet was amazing. Jack looked to Sam, who was also stunned, and back at Kita and asked, "Did the one who met you tell you who you are?" Kita smiled, "Yes, she named me Kita, she said it was a very good name, my parents chose it for me." Jack smiled and shook his head, "That's great, but I mean did she tell you what your race are called?" Kita's smile only grew with pride, "Yes, she told me to use our name only when asked for it, 'it is not as a banner, but as a badge'." Kita repeated the verse as if it had been pressed on her with great emphasis, "We are the Furling." And that was Jacks cue to be stunned. He had only heard that name once before but it was not a conversation he was ever likely to forget, he had accidentally had all the knowledge of a race known as 'The Ancients' downloaded into his brain, this could have been a good thing as when he started speaking their language it gave Daniel Jackson chance to translate a lot of information which would otherwise been unavailable to them, Jack also downloaded 'The Ancients' map of Stargate's, giving the SGC access to many gates even the Goa'uld had not found, unfortunately the human brain was capable of retaining and using the information without severe consequences, it would eventually shut down Jacks brain completely, luckily Jacks subconscious was able to make enough sense out of the information to realise that he could get help and he eventually went through the Stargate to a race called the Asgard who removed the knowledge and saved him, they then told him of an alliance of four technologically and morally great races in the galaxy who all stood for the same moral and ethical standards as humans aspire to, making them, like us, enemies of the Goa'uld, the four races were the Asgard, The Ancients, who had already left our known galaxy for pastures new, the Nox, who SG1 had already met and liked, and the Furling. "Uh, Kita, did your friend say that she would be back for you?" Though it seemed impossible Kita's smile grew even more, "Yes of course, she said that once I had found my teacher she would find me and teach me everything else I needed to know." Jack jumped off the bed and walked very fast to the telephone on the wall of the infirmary and picking it up asked for General Hammond, when he was put through he said, "Sir, I think you ought to get down here ASAP, we may have a small problem." General Hammond knew Jack very well, they had worked together for over five years, so he knew it was time to move not waste time asking questions, so he put the phone straight down and went to the infirmary where he found a very wary Kita looking worriedly at Jack who was pacing the floor and looking very worried, being watched in curiosity by Sam and Janet. "General!" Jack said as soon as he saw him enter the room, "We may be having visitors soon and I think it would be best to give a good impression." Sam and Janet had been waiting eagerly for General Hammond to turn up as they couldn't wait to find out what had Jack so wound up, "Do you remember my little brush with The Ancients Sir?" General Hammond looked at him and wondered what was coming next, "Of course, who could forget?" Sam and Janet also remembered the incident and wondered what it had to do with Kita and the ' Guests'. Jack looked at the General and was more serious than he had been in a long time, "Do you remember I told you what the Asgard said about the 'Alliance'?" General Hammond wasn't sure where this was going but he hoped it would get there soon, "Yes of course, the four great races." Jack looked at Kita and back at General Hammond and said, "Sir, Kita's people are called the Furling." Jack waited for the penny to drop and it didn't take long, he saw General Hammond's jaw drop in surprise when he finally connected the two, even Sam and Janet were stunned at the news, but Kita was sat on the bed not knowing what was going on, when everyone but Jack turned their eyes to her and stared without even realising what they were doing, she pulled her feet up onto the bed and leapt over General Hammond's head to land right on Jacks chest, with her arms and legs wrapped tightly around him and her head buried in his neck, Jack almost fell over in shock but again realised that he had hardly felt her land. "Whoa, hold on there." Jack said to her, "Come on, we're sorry, we're just surprised that's all, come on, they didn't mean to scare you, are you gona let go of me for a minute?" Kita didn't even answer him; she just shook her head where it was, right up against his neck. General Hammond looked from Jack and Kita to Sam and said, "Is she always like that?" Sam grinned at him and said, "She's getting better actually, at first she wouldn't let go of him at all, at least now it's only when she's scared." Kita took this as an insult unfortunately, though it was not meant as such, and turned hissing at Sam, but for once Jack's reactions were faster than hers and he tightened his hold on her before she could jump off him and on to Sam. Even if Kita hadn't known from the beginning she would have been left in no doubt now as to why Jack wouldn't teach her, the moment she had threatened Sam, Jack had been on the defensive, and Kita knew he would do anything for her, even if that meant going up against Kita herself, a battle he would undoubtedly loose, but still he would think nothing of trying if it was for Sam, which is why Kita disliked her so much. Kita finally looked up at Jack and there were tears streaming down her cheeks, "Ah, come on, don't do that, your eyes will get all puffy, then you'll have to try to find some make-up, and then Carter will have to show you how to put it on and it really does seem like a drag, though you can get some great results." Kita had absolutely no idea what make-up was or what Jack was talking about, but she calmed down anyway, just listening to his voice and as he was about to lift her onto the bed the alarms started ringing, and a voice came over the speakers, "Unscheduled wormhole forming. All senior officers to the control room." Jack looked at Kita who was again clinging to him and said, "You have to let go now, I have to go." Kita looked up at him and knew he would brook no argument so she let go of him and he smiled at her but as he turned to leave she followed him right out of the door. Jack didn't even realise she had followed him until he felt her hand slip into his while he was stood next to General Hammond in the control room, by which time it was too late to do anything about her. As they were watching the Iris close Jack felt a funny tingly feeling wash over him and wondered what it could have been, then everything went dark for a moment and when he could see again he was stood in the middle of a field, surrounded by General Hammond, Sam, Janet and the entire command staff who were all looking around in amazement at their new surroundings.

PART - 4

"Colonel O'Neill I presume." The voice seemed to come from nowhere until a figure only slightly taller than Kita suddenly appeared in front of them, "Holly," Jack shouted as he jumped back in surprise, followed by the quieter, "Smoke." General Hammond looked at Jack when the initial surprise had worn off, and he wondered who really was the head of the SGC, whenever an alien race wanted a spokes person from Earth they always seemed to pick Jack, and with good reason as far as General Hammond could see, he was not a politician, he spoke his mind and he spoke from the heart, he didn't do plotting and subterfuge, he was uncomplicated, honest and trustworthy, but it would be nice to be recognised as his boss once in a while. Jack stepped forward with Kita still attached to his hand and said, "That's me, and you would be?" The woman smiled at him and said, "I am Ferra, I an here to collect Kita." At the mention of her name Kita tightened her grip on Jacks hand and he looked back at her to see that she was terrified. Jack looked back at Ferra and looking really uncomfortable said, Uh, I don't think Kita wants to be collected." General Hammond and the rest of the command staff looked at Jack as if he had lost his mind, which he thought he probably had, arguing with a person who had just transported them off their world and onto another, who-knows-where? But it didn't mean he couldn't try to stand up for Kita, he had, after all, told her she would be safe. Ferra smiled, but it wasn't the smile of pity or derision that Jack had expected, it was a warm smile of gratitude, "Thank you Colonel, it is so nice to know that there are people on your world who care enough to try, even against insurmountable odds, and thank you for taking care of Kita for us, she is very precious to us, especially me." By now Kita had started sniffing the air like a mad thing and a huge grin spread across her face as she shouted, "Mom!" and ran out from behind Jack and into Ferra's arms. Ferra's smile was as big as Kita's and she hugged her daughter to her as if she hadn't seen her for years, which of course she hadn't, after they had hugged for a while Kita looked back at Jack and grinned, "It's ok Deliciaearum, this is my mom, I couldn't mistake her if I tried." Ferra looked at Jack then back at Kita and said, "So, you really do know how to choose them daughter of mine, you could not have chosen better if you had tried, he is a true protector, a warrior." As she was speaking Sam was wondering why she was talking about Jack that way and what she meant by a good choice, Ferra looked at her and smiled, "I see there were complications Kita." Kita looked up at her mother and knew exactly what she meant, even if Sam didn't. "Yes mother, there wasn't the chance for much learning." Ferra could see the jealousy rising off of Sam without needing to smell it, and she knew the Kita had said it for exactly that response, so she decided to remind Kita that she was supposed to be better than that. "From what I can see there was no teaching what so ever, or at least there was no learning." Ferra's stern voice was all the reminder that Kita needed and her words also put Sam's mind at rest, though she wasn't sure why, but she had definitely go the message. Jack looked from Kita to Ferra and back and finally said, "Uh, sorry to interrupt but why did you bring us here?" Ferra smiled at this, "I knew you would like to see my ship, and I didn't think you would appreciate me parking it in your back yard." Jack grinned wickedly and realised just how much he could like these people, especially Ferra, but wondered where the ship was, as he was about to ask Ferra's grin grew by several hundred watts and an enormous ship shimmered in to sight above and in front of them, if it had been any closer they wouldn't have been able to see any sky at all, it was almost a floating city rather than a ship. It was the same shade as the Stargate, and Sam could only guess that it was made out of the same quartz material, how they ever made the thing fly was beyond her, but then, so much of what she had seen since joining the SGC was, that was what made it so much fun. Jack looked at Ferra and said, "It's big!" Ferra threw her head back and laughed at that, when she stopped laughing she said, "Yes, it is big, we would get bored if it was small, where would we run? And we grow all our food on board." Ferra looked closer at him and then said, "Would you like to see inside?" Jack hadn't stopped smiling since they found out that Ferra was Kita's mother, but now his eyebrows raised and his head tilted while his smile turned into a thousand watt grin of pure mischief, he didn't even get a chance to answer, he felt the same tingly feeling he had gotten just before they had turned up on the planet and by the time he had found his tongue he was already aboard the ship, and what a ship. Looking around Jack thought it must be at least a mile long and almost half that wide, he wondered how it looked so small on the outside, or maybe that should be how it looked so big on the inside, but he really didn't care, it was huge whichever way you put it, and it all looked more like the outside than the inside of a ship, he could see pink-blue sky everywhere above him and even the odd fluffy cloud, he wasn't sure if it was real or not but it sure looked great. Kita and Ferra walked over to him and he realised that it was the first time Kita had seen her new home and turned to her with a huge grin, "So, how do you like your new home?" Kita grinned back and jumped on him again giving him a great kiss. Jack was actually starting to get used to these sudden bursts of affection but he really didn't want her family getting the wrong idea, or more specifically the right one, the last thing he needed was an intergalactic incident because Kita had a crush on him. He slowly pulled her arms off from around his neck and looked her straight in the eye, "Hey, glad you're home." If Kita had had any hopes left of anything happening they died there and then, she knew he would do anything to help her but that was off-limits, as they were looking at each other they both missed Ferra's small smile. "So," Jack said to Ferra when Kita finally got off him, "You're the Furling. Great ship." As usual Jacks hands didn't know what to do with themselves and occasionally waved around a bit as he spoke. Ferra had already decided she liked him and smiled when she said, "Yes, we think the ship is great, it fills our needs at least." Jack looked at her and nodded saying, "I'm sure it does, you know, Carter would love to get a look at your control room, and the engines, she just loves things like this." He looked slightly perplexed at why it would interest her but he knew it did. "She even has a Naquida reactor in her Lab, just to play with, she thinks it's great fun, me I prefer fishing." Ferra started chuckling at him and he wondered what she was thinking, politics had never been his thing. "Now I know what Thor meant, he really wasn't exaggerating when he described you." Jacks eyebrows flew up and his head tilted slightly to one side, "You know Thor? He speaks about me? Good things I hope? He does know that I didn't really mean what I said about Freyr right?" Ferra really laughed at that and Jack just hoped he wasn't about to find out how nasty these people could be, "Do not worry your self, do you think they would have named a ship after you if they didn't really like you?" Jack heaved a sigh of relief and grinned, "I was starting to wonder. So, what next, the grand tour? Cause Carter really would appreciate it more than me, she actually understands most of it." Ferra couldn't stop smiling at him, Thor had told her that the humans were strange, but then the Asgard considered the Furling strange too, but when he was describing Jacks way with words and easy-going honest nature he had failed to mention his sense of humour, being Asgard he probably hadn't noticed it, not that the Asgard are anything but wonderful people, but they were consistently serious, it was as if they were incapable of laughing, but the humans at least would be some fun. Jack suddenly thought of his earlier conversation with Kita, "Oh, by the way, we were talking to Kita earlier about your history and it seams we have a common friend, Bastet." Ferra looked at Jack in shock, "You know of Bastet? But how?" Jack smiled, he actually knew what he was talking about now, "When the Goa'uld ruled our people thousands of years ago she came for a visit, apparently she left when they did. She was actually one of the nicer 'Gods' of the time." Jack grinned. "But she was still kicked out with the rest of them." Ferra was still looking at him in shock, she couldn't believe these were actually the same people, as far as the stories went those people had been easily swayed by the false Gods, weak and malleable, nothing like the man before her at all. "Well you have certainly come far since then haven't you?" Jack raised his eyebrows and his grin spoke volumes, Ferra smiled, this truly was the picture of the man Thor had described to her, a warrior with a heart, maybe not a scholar or scientist but smart enough to listen to others when it was necessary, and never too proud to admit it when he didn't have a clue as to what was going on. Jack looked at her smile and knew they had made another good friend in the vast and dangerous universe, "Sam could probably bring you up to speed on that one, she knows more about it than I do." Ferra's smile grew, "Don't worry Jack, you don't mind if I call you Jack do you?" Jack shook his head, "Not a bit, I've been called worse." Ferra continued, "Don't worry, Carter and the others are well entertained, they are being shown other parts of the ship, I just thought you would be more interested in the gardens than the engines." Jack looked at her grin and laughed, "You were not wrong my friend, you were not wrong." Jack's grin made him look like a cheeky schoolboy, "You don't happen to have any fish around here do you?" And Ferra's was almost a mirror image, "I thought you'd never ask." Jack felt the same strange tingly felling again and found himself stood next to a lake, at first he couldn't believe his luck, then he remembered he was still working and really shouldn't be fishing, but Ferra and Kita had other ideas. "So Jack, how do you fish with no claws?" Ferra was obviously curious and Jack was eager to explain everything in great detail, then he decided she probably wanted the short version, "Well, we get a long pole with fishing wire on it, put a hook on the end of the wire and bait on the end of the hook, the fish takes the bait and you catch the fish, of at least that's the theory, I just throw the line in and relax, its very mellow." Ferra was looking perplexed at the lengthily manner of their fishing until he explained it was a pass-time, then it made more sense, she told him, "We simply hook the fish out with our claws, I will have to teach Kita soon, it is a shame we will have to go before you can join the teaching, I believe you would both have enjoyed it." Ferra paused for a moment then continued, "Well at least you can join in the preliminaries." Jack grinned at the thought and wondered if Sam was having as much fun, but then, if she was anywhere near their engines she probably was. Ferra called Kita over to the lakes edge as she stepped into the water, she stood for a while until the water had calmed and Jack saw the silver flash of a fish near the surface, then her hand flew through the water and the fish was hooked and thrown out on to the bank next to Kita. Kita was laughing at the spray of water she had been hit by when her mother invited her in. "Come on in, the water is lovely." Kita went to jump in but paused as her mother spoke again, "Come on Jack, a little cultural exchange wont kill you." Jack chuckled at that but shook his head, there was no way he was getting undressed near Kita if he could help it, she was to easy to spark off, and you never knew if it ran in the family. "I think I'll sit this one out, I can see great from here thanks." Kita looked at her mother, Ferra raised her eyebrows and said, "No, I think it's time you got wet." Kita nodded at her and turned to Jack with another of her wicked grins, "Oh no. I really don't think that's a great idea." Jack started, but by the time he got half way through Kita had leapt over him, landed right behind him and pushed him the final few feet into the water. Jack came up from under the waters surface coughing and spluttering and Kita almost landed on top of him when she leapt in. Jack stood where he was in the water and looked at Ferra with a dead straight face and raised eyebrows, "And you are an enlightened, superior race?" Kita came out of the water and looked at Jack, she had thought he would find it funny, she certainly had, but he did not appear to be laughing. Ferra looked straight at Jack and said. "Yes, we are. And don't you forget it." Then they both broke down into fits of laughter while they tried to climb out of the lake. By the time they had reached dry land they were all rolling around in uncontrollable laughter and it took three attempts from the man who had silently joined them to get their attention. "Ferra, we must leave soon, the humans will have to be sent back, the others are already planet-side." Ferra stopped laughing with difficulty and thanked him, "Thank you Raff, we will be right there." Jack hadn't realised that it was actually several hours since they had first encountered the Furling, and had a shock when he checked his watch, "Well, it's been fun." He said smiling, "Don't forget where we are, we'd love to see you again." Ferra could see the laughter turning to a soft smile of regret, they had only just met and they already had to leave. "We will meet again Jack, you can be sure of it, Kita wouldn't allow it any other way, and nor would I, I haven't had time to thank you properly for protecting my daughter, it is a debt that will not be easily repaid." Jack said farewell to Earths newest allies and his newest friends with a heavy heart, Ferra had promised another meeting but it could be a long time in coming, and with the work they did every day SG1 never knew how long it would be before disaster struck again the same way it had for Daniel, he just hoped they would return soon enough. As Ferra and Kita waved to him Jack felt the tingly feeling for the last time and the next thing he saw was the Stargate, he was stood in the command center in exactly the same place as before they had been swept away to the other planet, along with the rest of the command staff who had gone with him. General Hammond looked around the room at his staff and rested at last on Jack, then the puddle on the floor where Jacks clothes were dripping, "This is going to be a very interesting de-briefing Colonel, I don't think we can handle the curiosity for too long so we'll make it half an hour, in the briefing room." General Hammond looked at Jacks sodden clothes with raised eyebrows and added, "That should be long enough for you to get changed."

PART - 5

After they had left the planets atmosphere Ferra found Kita jumping from tree to tree in the forest near the middle of the ship, the trees were from over a hundred different planets and every shade of green and brown you could imagine, and probably a few more, when they finally sat down to talk Kita wanted to know everything at once but her mother soon calmed her and reminded her of the patience Jack had continually shown her, "Fist we must talk about you Kita, you must tell me everything you know, and every thing you have seen, then, and only then, can we start your education. First, what did you learn from Colonel O'Neill?" she asked. "He taught me nothing." Kita was slightly petulant for a moment, then she brightened as her memory flashed through the time they had spent together and she remembered the way he had spoken to her even when nobody else would dare to go near her, of how he never raised his voice to her, or ignored her questions, of which there had been many, the way he had held her, just for comfort, though she would have liked more, and how he had tried to protect her even when he was hopelessly out of his league with no chance of winning what so ever, but most of all how he had always been there, right where she needed him, "But I will never forget him, and I could not honestly be angry with him for staying true to his heart." Ferra smiled at her indulgently and said, "Then he taught you much more than most of us are taught by our first teacher, he taught you truth, honesty, fidelity and most importantly, to always be true to your heart." Kita thought of Jack for a moment and then grinned wickedly, "It would almost have been worth loosing such valuable lessons." Then she sighed and sobered for a moment, "But it wouldn't have been worth what it would have done to him." Ferra looked at her nodding, then she smiled as she said, "And that is the most important lesson that he taught you, always put others needs before your own."

1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Leana Effrenus