Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

LORIEN

by Leana Effrenus
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
LORIEN

LORIEN

by Leana Effrenus

Title: LORIEN
Author: Leana Effrenus
Email: rbbr10664@blueyonder.co.uk
Category: AlternateUniverse, Smarm
Season: future Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Summary: The SGC gets an unexpected guest. Comes somewhere after my 'Memories'
Sequel to: MEMORIES
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

LORIEN

PART - 1

"Incoming Wormhole Sir." "That must be SG1" General Hammond was a bald, stocky man, about 5'7", who looked like your favourite granddad, and you could tell by looking at him that he could be trusted to be fair but firm. "There's no GDO code Sir." "Close the iris Sergeant, we can't take any chances. What the hell?" General Hammond was watching the Stargate's Iris and saw it's surface begin to warp, then as if from nowhere, a figure stepped out of the iris, just as the Wormhole shut down, to find a large room, with a ramp leading down to a staging area, big enough to hold at least three dozen men comfortably, straight ahead and above the figure are two windows, the higher of which runs the length of the wall showing the conference room and the lower about half its length, showing the command room, where the General and several technicians stood staring in wonder at the arrival of their latest guest. "Another incoming Wormhole Sir."

The General knew as well as the sergeant did that if the person didn't move off the ramp, the event horizon of the newly forming Wormhole would rip there body apart by its very molecules. The Stargate was a portal to hundreds, if not thousands, of other worlds, it, along with its counterparts on other worlds, had been made by a race known as The Ancients, the Gate formed a wormhole that connected to another Gate of your choice. Each gate originally came with a devise used to chose the Gate you wanted to visit, aptly dubbed the 'Dial Home Device', or DHD, you plot your course by choosing, in the correct order, seven symbols, which each depict a constellation of stars, six for the destination and the last one for the point of origin. When Earth's Stargate was found at Giza, the DHD had been removed, and so they had to build a computer program to run the Gate instead, which turned out to be a mixed blessing, as they now new more about the system than they would if they had just used a DHD, but they also made some rather nasty mistakes by overriding safety protocols which the DHD wouldn't have allowed them to make. One nasty part about the Stargate was that the event horizon of the forming wormhole would destroy anything in its path.

"We have an incoming Wormhole, if you don't move the event horizon will kill you." General Hammond told the mysterious figure, and realised just how helpful that intercom unit really was, but the figure just stood there as if it hadn't heard him, and as the Wormhole formed the event horizon just washed right around it, without even stirring its hood, and there was a lot of it, from what the General could see from the command room the person was tall and slim, and wearing a floor length cloak with a full hood which covered it's head and face. "I'm getting SG1's code Sir." "Open the iris now, or they'll never know what hit them." The Iris was designed so that any matter coming through the Gate would hit it's back before it could properly reintegrate back into it's original form, which, while stopping unwanted guests, most of the time, was not something you wanted to do to your own people as their death was a little harsh, and permanent.

General Hammond was still looking at the figure in wonder as SG1, the flagship team of the best-kept secret in America, walked through the Stargate. The first person through the Gate was a 6'3", heavily muscled, bald, black man with broad shoulders, a narrow waist and deep brown eyes, named Teal'c, wearing combat trousers and jacket, and carrying a staff weapon, which looked like an oversized walking stick with funny ends. The next person was Major Samantha Carter; she was an experienced fighter pilot with a degree in theoretical astrophysics, she is about 5' 9" with short, wavy, blond hair surrounding a pixie-like face with bright blue eyes which sparkled when she smiled, which was often, as her easy-going nature and vivacious spirit was never kept down for long, and also wearing combat jacket and trousers, she was followed by Jonas Quinn, he is about 5'8" with black hair and brown eyes. The last man through was Colonel Jack O'Neill, also 6'3", and though not as large as Teal'c, he still had well-muscled shoulders and a slim waist, with short dark grey hair, chocolate brown eyes, and a grin plastered across his face. "Well General, we've done it again." Jack was obviously pleased with himself and his team, having just completed another mission of mercy, however the grin turned into curiosity, and he raised his eyebrows when he noticed the cloaked figure the others were staring at. "Hello, who's this?" he looked up at the command room to General Hammond, who shrugged and shook his head.

The figure had turned to Jack as soon as he spoke, but he still couldn't see the face, they walked over to Jack, and knelt on one knee, head bowed, for a moment, then a pair of arms came out from the folds of the cloak to throw back the hood, and reveal long black hair and deep brown eyes. Jack, Sam, Jonas and Teal'c all stepped back, raising their weapons, as she put he arms up to remove her hood, just in case she had a weapon, it never hurt to be cautious. "My Liege, I offer the humble gift of my service, and only hope you know I would have bought more had I known you would be here." Jack slowly stepped back toward her and taking her hand, pulled her up. "You don't need to kneel, and I think you have the wrong person." She smiled at him, "No, my Liege, you have not changed in these past years, I could not mistake you if I tried, Though it is true, the man I know has less darkness in his hair and more in his heart, but it is definitely you." The woman stepped forward and gave Jack a big hug, then she stepped back and looked over to the others. "And I can not believe I am meeting Major Carter and Teal'c, but here is Jonas Quinn, not Daniel Jackson." There was a slight pause as the woman seemed to be trying to remember something, and as she looked at their suddenly down cast face's she said, "Oh, I am sorry. I have come after his loss," She looked at Jack with a sadness in her eyes, "But you often said you would not have changed his chosen path, for all that you missed him, he chose well." Not long ago Daniel Jackson had suffered a fatal dose of radiation, and even though they might have been able to save him, he was visited by a being called 'Oma de Sala' who had once been human, but since risen to a higher plain of existence and lived as pure energy, able to manipulate nature at will, who, on their previous meeting had started to teach Daniel how to join her, and she offered to finish guiding him to her higher level of existence. So he had asked Jack to let him go, and however much he knew they would miss him, they couldn't deny him the rise to another plain, so they let him go, not long after that Jonas, the 'ethical advisor' of the plant had come to Earth and joined their team. Lorien continued, "But you are all still here, so I must be somewhere in the year 2002."

PART - 2

Jack looked around the room at the guards aiming their weapons at the woman, and she asked, "Do these troublesome children often aim their toys at you, my Liege? Or maybe they are aimed at me? Never mind." The woman waved her hand in the most casual manner, and the guards' weapons disappeared. "I don't mean to interrupt, but who are you? And how did you do that?" Carter couldn't resist asking. "My dear Major, if you hadn't meant to interrupt you would not have spoken," Lorien smiled, "however, you do raise a good point. I have indeed been remiss, but I hope you will accept my apologies; I am Lorien, speaker for the people. I am here, I must admit, by accident. I was supposed to return to the beginning of the year 2013, but the saboteurs must have done more damage than I realised." By this time General Hammond had come down to the Gate room and he was not extremely happy. "Colonel O'Neill? What is going on here?" "I have no idea Sir, but I think she's here for a while." Lorien looked at Jack, "My Liege, if you need anything, you have but to ask, and all within my power will be yours," Lorien bowed her head, "however, by your leave, I will retire to your medical facilities, I have journeyed long and I require rest."

With a wave of he hand, Lorien disappeared and General Hammond was not happy. "Get security down to the infirmary, now, and you, briefing room." Jack looked over at Sam as they followed the General and quietly asked, "He look happy to you?" Sam shook her head, "Oh, no, he is not a happy camper." In the infirmary Doctor Fraiser looked up, startled, as a woman suddenly appeared in the room. The Doctor was a petit, pretty woman, around 5'6" with shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes and she immediately hit the alarm button, but Lorien looked at the flashing light and it turned off. "Do not worry, healer, if I am correct you are Doctor Fraiser, are you not? My Liege has spoken your praises to me often, which is why I come here now, and trust your judgment. I have travelled far and the journey was not easy, but I was the only one who came close to being strong enough to undertake this mission. Apparently I was not strong enough though, I have strayed off my true path and I can no longer fulfil my duty." Lorien looked very sad, and disappointed with her self. Doctor Fraiser's instinct as a doctor took precedence over her military training, and all she saw in front of her was a woman who had travelled far and felt she had failed at something. " I am Doctor Fraiser," She said, slightly confused, "but I don't know who told you about me. I'm sure you can't have failed completely, isn't there some way you can do what you were supposed to?"

Lorien looked at her, almost as if she were a child, over-simplifying things. "If only it were that easy. I was supposed to come to Earth in the year 2013, you simply do not have the technology that I need yet." Janet looked slightly annoyed, "Well, do you really need the technology right now, or can you teach us to make it for you. We do have some of the best scientific, and engineering minds in the country on this base." Janet was slightly defensive at the implied insult, "I doubt there's a lot you can show us that we can't build." Lorien looked at her, and a smile spread across her face. "Indeed you really are the 'Doc Fraiser' my Liege has spoken of so often. You have an indomitable spirit; there is no doubting that. However, you are not right, but you are not far wrong either, I should have seen it before, it is the people I should have been looking for, not the technology. My Liege has been telling us of you for so long as a part of the past that he can never regain, that it never occurred to me that the loss of the SGC was what I had to prevent." Janet looked up sharply at that, "You see, your loss seemed to be our greatest gain, but now I see it was the beginning of the end for all of us. I cannot believe I did not see it before, I must see my Liege immediately," Lorien suddenly got a distracted look on her face and said, "Ah, he calls to me anyway, I fear I have done wrong already, thank you doctor for your help, but now I must go."

General Hammond was not a happy man, he was in the briefing room, sat at the head of the conference table, and SG1 was sat at the table waiting for him to start. "People, I am not happy with uninvited guests coming through the Stargate. If the Goa'uld get their hand's on this we are toast," The Goa'uld are a snake like parasite, that needs to be in a human host to survive, many thousands of years earlier, some Goa'uld had broken from the main group and decided to be peaceful and co-exist with their host, instead of completely dominating them and trying to take over the universe in any evil way they could and called them selves the Tok-ra, which literally translated, means against Ra, which was the name of the head Goa'uld until he was killed by Jack and Daniel on their first mission through the Stargate. "And how do we know we can trust this 'Lorien? For all we know she could be working for the Goa'uld." "No." Jack said looking at the General.

"No, Colonel?" "Well, I mean, I don't think so Sir," Jack didn't seam to know quite how to put it, and finished, "The Goa'uld aren't exactly known for their subtlety, if they could do this then they would send an army through not one woman." Sam looked at him, "Sir, under the Protected Planets Treaty, they can't do that," When the Asgard, an advanced, yet benevolent race, found out that the Goa'uld were going to try to destroy Earth, in retaliation to the SGC killing them, and freeing the people they held as slaves, they held negotiations to include it in the 'Protected Planets Treaty' which stated that if the Goa'uld destroyed the Earth, then the Asgard would destroy them, and the Asgard were the only race that the Goa'uld could not beat. "But they can make others do it, like the Tolan." Said the General; the Tolan had been a technologically advanced, but benign race, which wouldn't give the SGC any of their technology in case they hurt themselves with it. The Tolan had eventually been taken over by the Goa'uld, and forced to try to send bombs through the Stargate to destroy the S.G.C. When this failed, the Goa'uld had wiped out the entire race to stop the Asgard proving they had tried to break the treaty. "Of course, she could be Tolan, it wouldn't be the first time the Goa'uld saved one member of a race just to try to destroy us."

A few years earlier, the Goa'uld had killed all the inhabitants of a planet, except one small girl named Cassandra, and unknown to SG1, had altered her body chemistry to turn her into a living bomb. Teal'c had realised what was happening in time to prevent the girl being taken back through the Gate, which would have made her explode, and she had survived, to be adopted by Doctor Fraiser. Jack looked worried and a little confused, "Not this time Sir, she's the real thing." Everyone looked at him and he said, "Hey, it's a gut feeling, ok." The General looked at him and said, "Are you willing to risk the security of this planet on that gut feeling Colonel?" Jack didn't hesitate, "Absolutely Sir." The General looked around the table at Sam and Teal'c, and even though they were stunned by Jack's reaction to Lorien, they trusted him, and his instincts, with their lives, he had led them in battle for years and had never let them down, so they were ready to back him one hundred percent. The General could read this in their faces and he agreed with them, "Well Colonel, she appears to like you, and you obviously trust her, so it's up to you to make sure this thing works out well for everyone. I really would like to know what happened to those weapons though." Jack cringed a little, the General was trying to be light hearted about the whole situation but Jack knew he was not happy with any of it so far, and he wished Lorien hadn't taken the weapons like she had, it was way to obvious that they had no hope at all in fighting her.

PART - 3

Out of nowhere, Lorien appeared next to Jack in the briefing room and everyone almost hit the ceiling, they were that shocked. "Holy Hannah, how did you do that?" Jack had almost fallen off his chair when she was suddenly right there next to him, he really didn't like surprises. "My Liege, I know where I am, and where I wish to be, the journey between matters not." "Well matter or not you could have warned us, or walked, like most people." Jack was annoyed, with himself mostly, but also, in a perverse way, with the General, for trusting him. And now he didn't know if he trusted himself, he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he trusted Lorien, but he had trusted his mind before, when alien civilisations had messed with his memory, or his perceptions, and one time had almost cost the life of Daniel Jackson, though Daniel was no longer with them, it was proof of how you could be manipulated, and Jack wasn't sure if he could trust his instincts. "I apologise my Liege, it will not happen again." Lorien looked chastised, and Jack began to feel guilty, "Miss, we were wondering if you could tell us why you are here, and why you keep calling the Colonel 'Liege'." General Hammond wanted to know.

"My original mission was to procure technological support from the Tarrie in the year 2013, however, as you may have realised, I came back too far. Saboteurs caused this by tampering with my equipment, and though I thought I had fixed the machine, it was apparently not good enough, because I ended up here," Lorien looked slightly annoyed with her self, "however, after talking to Doctor Fraiser I have realised that they unwittingly did more good than harm." She paused and smiled at Jack, "And I call Lord O'Neill 'Liege', because that is what he is, and he does not like to be called 'Lord', though that is his correct title." General Hammond was slightly taken aback by this, though not as much as Jack was, and he said, "What really bothers me is that you came through the Stargate, even though the Iris was closed." Lorien looked confused for a moment, then she actually laughed, "You call the Karamathra a 'Stargate', how quaint." Jack remembered well how Daniel had been the only one able to translate the ancient Egyptian and Goa'uld writings on the cover stone for the Stargate, and it annoyed him that Lorien should laugh at the hard work he had put in to his job.

Lorien stopped laughing, looked at Jack soberly and said, "I apologise my Liege, I had no idea, and if you prefer Stargate then I shall endeavour to remember it." Jack realised she must be reading his mind, and though it had happened before, it was still quite disconcerting. General Hammond looked at Lorien and couldn't help wondering if she could be trusted. Lorien looked over at General Hammond and she smiled saying, "I am aware of your concerns General, and no, I am neither Tolan nor Nox," She grinned, "though I am flattered that you should consider a humble servant like myself in such esteemed company as the friends of my Liege. Though I believe his friendship is not yet as close as it will become, with the Nox, or the Asgard, and I don't believe you have met the Furling yet, at least not officially." Lorien's expression was wistful, "I wish I could be here for that, I hear it was a spectacular meeting. You must excuse me if a ramble on a little, it is so strange to be in a time when my Liege is still known to all as 'Colonel'," She shook her head in wonder, "How quaint." Lorien looked at General Hammond, "Yes General, I most definitely can read your mind, and no there is nothing you could hide from me if I wished to know it, but do not worry, I would never do anything to upset my Liege, and you must know by now that he could never do anything to hurt you." She glanced at Jack, "As you wish, my Liege."

As Lorien waved her hand, the table in front of them was suddenly covered with food. There was everything you could possibly wish for. "What the hell!" cried Jack, and Lorien looked worried, "Does this not please you?" "Colonel O'Neill, what is this?" Jack's face was the picture of bewilderment, and he said, "I have no idea Sir," Then he paused as he realised what had happened, "I was just thinking we should have eaten before we started, it looks like we'll be here for a while." Everyone looked at Lorien, who was by now smiling at Jack once again, almost like a child, who wants only to please, "You are hungry, so you shall eat." "Uh, yeah, that's great, but we don't eat in the middle of a briefing." "I understand, my Liege, and I apologise, I will await your request next time, not merely your whim." Lorien looked at Jonas, "I am afraid I can not cater to your every whim unless my Liege requests it of me Jonas Quinn." Lorien sounded almost apologetic, "But yes, I imagine it would be fun, and yes General, we should get back to why I am here, I originally came back to get help, in the form of technology, from the year 2013, but I ended up here and have since come to realise that this is, in fact, a much better solution to our problems. We are trying to fight the replicators, and are loosing badly. But now that I am here I can prevent the loss of the SGC." PART - 4

Everyone looked at her in shock, "What do you mean by 'loss'?" asked Jonas, Lorien looked at him and replied, "Well, at some point in my past most of the written data concerning this era was lost, but much has been kept alive by word of mouth, and eventually re-written, but many specifics have been lost forever, one of those is what, exactly, happened to the SGC. We do know that something, probably a disease, is introduced to the Command, most likely through the Karamathra, and spread to epidemic proportions. Dr Fraiser found that my Liege was immune to this disease and was not even a carrier, so he was sent to the Nox, to seek their aid. By the time he tried to come back home, the Karamathra had been buried under the rubble of the SGC. Your government had decided the only way to contain the disease was to eradicate the mountain. We know this finally happened on the 5th of January 2003. The Nox knew there was nothing here for you anymore, and they knew of The People. They knew we needed a leader like you, and you needed a people like us. You developed our Karamathra program, and taught us how to use the technology we had to protect our selves; we were a very pacifistic people, we had no idea how to stop the Goa'uld taking over our planet, until you showed us how."

Lorien looked at Jack with true hero worship. "We finally completed the task of the Tok-ra with the help of the Nox and the Asgard. I know it is hard for you to believe, but the Nox finally realised that they were causing more violence by refusing to help, so with their powers of illusion, the Asgard technology, and my Liege's ingenuity," a grin spread across her face, "We captured the Goa'uld one by one, and disabled their technology, we found them a nice planet and, after the Asgard removed all of its metallic ore, and placed mechanical sentries on guard in orbit to warn us of any problems, we left them to their own devises. They can never get off the planet, and what they do to each other is their business. With them gone the Nox cured the Jaffa of their dependency on the infant Goa'uld, and they are now free. With your help my Liege, The People took their place as the fifth race. After their dealings with The People and the Tarrie, the older races realised that many people, like us, needed to be guided along the path of advancement, and not ignored until we make our own way through, they will always find they're own way, but with a little help they can get there a lot faster and with much less pain and suffering. Now this may sound perfect to you, but we still cannot beat the replicators, and there are threats of which you have no idea. We thought we needed Tarrie technology, but I now believe we need the SGC. When the SGC was destroyed, it was not only the idea that was lost, but also the people, my Liege has often told us that the universe was a better place before you were gone; many times he has tried to imagine how you would respond to a situation, but you are all so unique, and he could never understand how you came up with the ideas that you did."

As Lorien was talking, it finally sunk in, in Jacks mind, that she was calmly discussing the loss of Carter, Teal'c, Jonas, Hammond, and the whole of the command, he realised he could spend the rest of his life without ever seeing Sam again. Lorien looked at him, and the pain on her face mirrored that which he was trying so hard to conceal. "I am so sorry, I did not know it was true, you never thought about it, I thought it was just a rumour, not true." Lorien was obviously disturbed by something, and it worried them. "You never speak of this time, never of her, we knew you were hiding the pain but we had no idea that your Omasha was here. I should never have spoken, never." By this time the tears were flooding down Lorien's face. Jack knew exactly what was going on, and he couldn't believe it, it was strange enough that he knew what was happening, but so much stranger that he knew exactly what 'Omasha' was, and who. He also realised that it was his pain that was troubling Lorien. By then everyone else was on their feet trying to help Lorien, but Jack knew the only way he could help was to stop his own pain and fear, which was not easy, so he tried to calm himself by remembering that now she was here, Lorien could stop her loss, but it still took a while to convince himself. When Lorien continued crying, General Hammond called the infirmary and they escorted her to Dr Fraiser. At first Dr Fraiser was unable to figure out what was wrong, but when the General explained what they had been discussing before she broke down, the Doctor finally understood.

A few years earlier, during preparation for a summit between the U.S. President and the High Chancellor of the Tok-ra, the proceedings were interrupted when one of the SGC members tried to kill the High Chancellor. It turned out that the Goa'uld had compromised the man, along with other members of the SGC. The Tok-ra had a devise, somewhat like a lie detector, which reads the conscious mind and the sub-conscious mind and compare them, to discover if the persons memories have been altered. This process depends on the complete honesty of the person being questioned, and reads emotions as well as facts. When Jack and Sam were tested they failed, and were presumed to be Zatark's, but when Sam realised that they had been unintentionally lying, by hiding their feelings for each other, they were re-tested and cleared. Dr Fraiser and Teal'c had been witness to Jack's statement admitting that he would rather die than lose Sam, so the Doctor knew that hearing of her death would have affected him badly, and with her telepathic connection to him, it had knocked Lorien for six. So the Doctor gave Lorien a sedative and she fell asleep.

An hour later General Hammond, SG1 and Doctor Fraiser sat at the conference table and the General was still not happy. "Well, I for one, would like to know what that was all about." He began. Jack and Doctor Fraiser looked down at the table and tried very hard not to be noticed, but the harder you try to be invisible the more you stand out, and General Hammond immediately centred on them. "Colonel, you seem to be the centre of her attention, what do you think it was all about?" Jack couldn't help but look at Sam and pain ripped through him. He looked at the General and shook his head, before looking back down at the table. Doctor Fraiser tried to get the Generals attention away from Jack so she bought the conversation back to Lorien's warning. "Sir, if we have the threat of a disease on base, shouldn't we be looking for it?" The General looked at her, "Yes, we should, Doctor, you can start right now, I want every person on this base tested for everything you can think of and a few more." The General dismissed them, and Jack was grateful to the Doctor, but the General knew she had deliberately changed the subject and he wondered why.

After running every test she could think of, Janet asked Sam for her help in coming up with some new ones. Janet had been looking purely for unknown diseases or viruses, so Sam ran a few standard tests for base-line results and they realised why they hadn't found anything. When they were all back in the briefing room, Janet told them what they had found. "We were looking for an alien disease or virus in our samples and we couldn't find a thing, then Major Carter did some base-line tests for comparison and we found out why. Our government manufactured the virus about fifteen years ago, you infect one or two people with this stuff and it sits in the lining of the lungs, they can carry it for years, it's air born and it spreads like wildfire, a month or so after you introduce it to your preferred habitat, you can add the catalyst, and when you do it destroys the alveoli, and hey presto, every person infected is dead within a matter of hours. It is also easily immunised against, so your own men are perfectly safe. It's also almost impossible to find unless you know exactly what you're looking for." Jack looked up as Janet finished speaking, "Sir, I was immunised against this thing years ago, that's why I'll be safe, it's called K700YPG, they were going to send us in against some of our less favoured friends in the Middle East, and gave us the immunisation in case they decided to use it."

Jack looked at Lorien, and in a very subdued voice asked, "What can you do?" Doctor Fraiser looked at him and said, "We can immunise everyone, can't we, and then it doesn't matter what they do." Jack looked at her, and she knew it was serious, "You can't use it after the initial infection, it doesn't work, however, I would like to know who 'They' are." Even if they hadn't known Jack for as long as they had, it would have been impossible to miss the very dark intent in those last few words, and General Hammond could almost feel sorry for the person SG1 held responsible for this, because Jack would not stand alone, his team would be right there with him, and the other SGC teams would be right behind them, if Jack only asked, not that he would, or would need to, SG1 were more than capable of taking on anyone the opposition could gather. Lorien looked at Jack and said, "My Liege, with your leave I will show Doctor Fraiser how to cure those that have been infected." Jack looked at her. "As soon as you're ready." Lorien took Janet's hand and they disappeared, only to re-appear moments later in the infirmary. "Wow." Janet was impressed, and they talked as they got down to sorting out the cure. "Where do you go from here then, Lorien." "I must return to my own time, and tell my Liege of his friends, let him know that I succeeded in far more than my original task. To know that the SGC survived in at least one reality will be enough for him." "How do you mean?" Janet was extremely curious about this mysterious woman and wondered why she already felt like she knew her.

"My reality will still be the same when I go home, I came here for you, or at least, your progeny, not my ancestors, this reality will be a better place for my visit, but it never happened in my reality, or I would never have existed, or had the joy of working with my Liege, and I would not give that up for all the universe, I know that makes me selfish, but I don't care. I wouldn't change my past if I could, not that I can, what is done is done, but I can at least save you from suffering the same fate, and then I can go back to my Liege." Janet looked at her, " You sound as if you were close." "Yes, you would not believe how hard it has been, being around your 'Colonel', and knowing that he doesn't even show affection towards his own child, and he even wonders why I would do anything for him!" Janet just looked at her in open-mouthed surprise; she couldn't believe what she was hearing

PART - 5

"Your father?" "Of course, why else do you think I call him my Liege?" Lorien sounded so matter-of-fact that Janet was even more surprised, "Well, Liege is a term we use for a commander, or royalty, not parents, we thought he was your commanding officer, we had no idea, and nor does he." Janet wondered how he would take the news, and she was sure it was going to be one heck of a shock. "Oh my, well, at least that explains why he is so distant to me, I never expected him to be the same as he is at home, but I thought he would be a little more caring towards me, now I know why he was not. I wonder if I should tell him?" Janet looked at her, "If you're asking my opinion, I think he would like to know, but he is going to be shocked, and he doesn't like surprises." Lorien smiled, "No, he never did. So, how do I tell him, I have to leave in a little over ten hours, is it really fair to tell him now?" Janet looked worried, "It's up to you, but if you do, do it quickly, and in privet, don't tell him in front of anyone else." Lorien's eyebrows rose before she smiled, "Indeed, I made that mistake when I told him I was getting married, never again."

By this time they had finished making the cure and Janet had to leave to inoculate the SGC, so Lorien went to Jack's room, where he had been waiting for the General to give them the all clear, so he could find out who had started this whole thing. "I have been speaking to Doctor Fraiser," She said as he looked up at her, "And you've found a cure?" She already knew he could be exasperating, "Yes, but that is not what I came here to discuss, during our talk I found out that we have had a slight miss-communication, apparently, here 'Liege' is a term used for commanders or royalty." "Yes," he said in a 'so what? Tone of voice, then he realised she was trying to tell him something, "What does it mean where you come from?" Jack was genuinely curious, and she said, "It means 'Father'." Jack looked at her for a while, thinking how different the meanings were, when it finally struck him, "Father?" He almost fell off his seat, "What, like adopted, or a figurative type of thing?" He said hopefully, "No" she said with a smile, "like a paternal, parent type of thing." "Oh."

Jack didn't know where to go from there, "Who is your mom?" Jack almost didn't want to know the answer, "Her name was Riana, and she chased you for over ten years before you finally relented and married her, she always said you only gave in because you couldn't bare to see her suffer as much as you were, she knew your heart would always belong to another, but she didn't care, you always treated her with more care, attention and respect than anyone else ever had, she felt she was the luckiest woman alive, just to have you in her life, and I think she once mentioned something about the bedroom, but that's not for me to worry about, and honestly, I'd rather not think about it." Lorien had a wicked grin across her face and Jack knew she was trying to lighten the conversation a little, he couldn't believe that seeing that wicked grin was like looking in a mirror. *

It didn't seem long before Lorien had to leave, and they said their privet goodbyes in his room before going to tell the others that she was leaving. As they stood in the Gate room ready to leave, Lorien looked around and said, "I am sorry that I could not stay longer, but it was lovely to finally meet you all, my Liege has told me many stories of his time here, and to my surprise, he was not exaggerating as much as I thought he was. It is a shame the language barrier got in the way as it did." She said with a thousand watt, wicked grin, which Sam was sure she recognised, "But all in all I feel my time here was well spent, may your future be a happier one for it. My Liege once told me an old good bye he had heard and liked, I think it went something like this, 'May the sun always shine on your face, the wind be at your back and the road rise up to meet your feet.' Now I know more of my Liege than I ever did," She grinned at Jack, "and I know why he never discussed the Omasha, even now, so few know, though I must say it is blindingly obvious if anyone bothered to look. I hope life treats you well and I know I will go home a better person for having met you, thank you." And with a smile, she turned toward home and walked through the Stargate.

"I wonder what she meant about that 'Omasha' thing?" Sam asked and Jack grinned. General Hammond looked at the now closed Stargate and said, "I have no idea Major, but I wonder if Lorien was her only name or if she had a surname?" The General didn't really expect an answer so he turned to leave, followed by Teal'c. When they were out of earshot, Sam turned to Jack and said, "I wonder if her last name was O'Neill?" Jack looked at her and grinned, "No, it was Shamra, they keep their mothers name, not their fathers. How did you know?" Sam raised her eyebrows, "What, do you think I'm blind? As Soon as she grinned there was no doubt about it." Jack looked at her, and his grin faded as he became serious, "She said I refused to get involved for over ten years, apparently I gave in when her mother wouldn't stop trying." Sam looked at him and smiled, "It must be nice to be chased." Jack smiled back, turned to leave, and said, "It must be. By the way, Omasha," he paused and looked over his shoulder at her, "It means 'Eternal Heart'" and walked out. Sam had started to follow him but she stopped dead in the middle of the room as she finally realised that Lorien had been talking about her all along.

SG1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Leana Effrenus