Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Special Occasion 2, A

by Lea ONeill
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Special Occasion 2

A Special Occasion 2

by Lea ONeill

Summary: Will Jack ever pop the question? Maybe over the holiday weekend.
Category: Holiday, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Mystery, Poetry, POV, Romance
Holiday: Christmas, Thanksgiving
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/15/03

A SPECIAL OCCASION: PART TWO

(WHEN LAST WE LEFT OFF, TEAL'C HAD FOUND THE PERFECT RING FOR JACK'S GIFT TO NICKI. WILL HE GIVE IT TO HER OVER THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY?)

{{ FOR PART ONE, I THINK I PUT CHRISTMAS AS THE HOLIDAY; BE PATIENT, IT WILL GET THERE!!!}}

Nicki walked out onto the porch of the cabin. She took in the awesome view of the crystalline lake, high mountains and stunning trees surrounding her. The morning air was still quite crisp and she knew the weather reports called for snow, but for the time being, there were no looming clouds yet, and the sun had just begun to peek over the trees. Nicki sat down on the top step, the coffee cup she carried warming her hands. She had dressed for the weather, in jeans, hiking boots, a red turtleneck and one of Jack's red and blue plaid shirts over that. As the sun hit her now, she was comfortable in the 50 something degrees. She heard movement behind her and found Jack standing in the doorway, watching her, his own cup of coffee steaming in his hand. "mornin' sunshine," she said with a smile. Jack came out now, inhaling deeply. "It's pretty terrific, huh?" he asked then. He'd put on jeans and wore his white thermal shirt with a tan plaid over it, though left unbuttoned. He'd slipped on his running shoes, but had left them untied. Nicki nodded as Jack sat down beside her. "It really is." "So you're not upset we didn't take Daniel up on his pot luck?" "Thanksgiving is for being thankful and being with the ones you love. So I'm right where I need to be." As Jack notice how the light played off Nicki's hair, highlighting the blonde and making her look almost angelic, he suddenly made a decision. He'd been waiting for the right time, the right moment. And he couldn't think of any more perfect moment. "Hey, can you stay right here?" he asked, getting u quickly. "What?" she asked, laughing as Jack dashed back inside the cabin. Nicki sat, a bemused look on her face, until he returned. Jack slid back down beside her. "I...I've got something I want to say. I've been wanting to say for a long time. I was waiting for the right time, the right words...I don't want to wait any more." With that, he took the ring from his shirt pocket, that he'd made the hasty jaunt inside the cabin to get. Jack, bad knees be dammed, got down on one knee there on the steps and took Nicki's now trembling hand. "I want you to be my wife. Marry me Nicole?" Nicki had tears threatening to spill from her eyes, which widened at the sight of the exquisite ring that Jack placed on her left hand. Jack realized he was holding his breath, and let it out now. Nicki was still silent, staring at the ring. "I, uh, don't wanna rush you here...but a yes would be good," he said then, attempting humor to hide the fact that he was scared to death she was going to say no. He winced as he shifter on his knee. "I...I...Jack, are you sure?"
"I've never been more sure. I wanna be with you forever." The tears fell, roling down her cheeks. "Then...yes! I'll marry you." Jack took her into his arms. His knee gave out about then, with the extra weight, and they both tumbled into a heap on the frosted ground. Jack on the bottom and Nicki laying on top of him, both begin to laugh. "Well, you definitely knocked me off my feet," she joked. Jack took her face in his hands and kissed her. He didn't care that his rear end was getting wet from the night's frost, or that it was damn cold down on the ground, or that dirt generally turned to mud when wet; all he knew was that she said yes! The woman he knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with said yes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nicki made them a Thanksgiving lunch; a precooked roasted Turkey breast, store bought cranberry chutney that she heated up, canned yams that she tossed some marshmallows on and called them homemade, and a oyster and chestnut dressing (which she'd actually made yesterday at home, figuring she'd better make something from scratch); She'd also picked up a pumpkin and cherry pie from the bakery in Colorado Springs that Jack was so fond of. Both of them had spent enough holidays eating lunchmeat from an MRE to appreciate the simple pleasures of enjoying a meal prepared in the kitchen and eaten at the table.

Jack didn't care one bit that not all the food was made in the cabin's small kitchen. Only that his fiance had made it, one way or another. Fiance. Damn that sounded good. A hell'uva lot better than `girlfriend', `partner', or `lover'. He knew `wife' would sound even better.

"You wanna go for a walk?" Nicki asked, some time after their lunch, after Jack's second piece of pie. Jack thought the idea sounded a little painful, but decided to give it a try anyway. He reluctantly got out of his chair.

The pair left the cabin. The large, white clouds had been building all morning and now made the day a solid gray. The air held a chill and Jack could sense the snow coming. They walked, hand in hand down the lakeside. "I bet it's beautiful here when it snows," Nicki said. "I've got a feeling you'll find out by morning." "Mmmm. Wouldn't it be great to get stranded out here for like a month? Snowbound." Jack made a face. "Well, at least until the food ran out." Nicki laughed. "You mean you wouldn't go out and hunt us dinner?" Now it was Jack's turn to laugh. "Yeah, I can see you frying up a `mess `o squirrel." She shrugged. "Okay, I guess I'll settle for just enough snow to look beautiful." They continued to walk, leaving the lake shore and heading up to the road. "So, this whole marriage thing," Nicki said, navigating a fallen tree. "You, uh, have any details worked out yet?" "What, you mean like when and where? Nah, I thought I'd leave that up to you." "Gee, thanks. I'm not real good with that kind of stuff." "Well I'm sure not. Last time all I had to do was put on the uniform and show up. Sara and her family took care of everything." Nicki nodded. "Well, I don't know if I'm up for a formal thing." "Hey, suits me. I can handle a JP and some cheap wine. I don't care as long as the outcome is the same." Jack had noticed a hint of tension come over Nicki's face. He stopped her then, by grabbing her around the waist from behind and pulling her into his chest. "Babe, whatever you want, we'll do. However, wherever, whenever. I just want to marry you." Nicki leaned back against Jack's strong body. She put her hands over his. "How come it is you always know just what to say?" He shrugged. "Dumb luck?"
She laughed. "And you make me laugh." He kissed her ear and neck. "But I'm not funny, remember?" he asked, referencing something she'd told him some time back at her house when they were painting. He'd never let her forget it either. It was then they both heard a faint yelping, or whining. "You hear that?" Jack asked.
Nicki nodded. They started walking toward the sound, which got progressively louder as they neared the road. "It sounds like a puppy," Nicki commented, scanning the two lane paved road. Jack noticed a rustling in the bushes ahead. He made his way over. "Well, hey there little fella." Jack knelt down and cleared away the tangle of brush. The whining continued as Jack scooped up what looked like a 6-8 week old puppy. Nicki came over then. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "Is it hurt?" Jack looked at the little dog, checking it's tiny legs. "Doesn't seem to be." It looked at him with frightened eyes and trembled all over as he touched it. As Jack held the pup close to his chest, it immediately stopped crying. "Poor thing. It's all alone. You think someone dropped it on the side of the road?" "Most likely," Jack agreed. He pulled his jacket around the puppy and it snuggled close. He didn't agree with the means of getting rid of an unwanted animal, but knew it happened all too regularly. They headed back toward the cabin, their new found hitchhiker content inside Jack's jacket. Nicki warmed some milk and put it in a bowl while Jack kept the pup warm. He set it on the floor in front of the bowl. The poor thing looked around, still unsure of these strangers, and then smelled the milk. It stuck it's nose in the bowl and lapped up the milk hungrily. "He's darling," Nicki said, stroking the little black and brown back. "She," Jack corrected. "And she is kinda cute." "She looks like she's part German shepherd." Jack agreed. "But part what else?" he wondered aloud. "Well, guess we'll have to keep her until we go home. We can swing by the shelter-" "Jack O'Neill!" Nicki said sharply. "You don't choose a dog. It chooses you. And this little trinket chose us to be her parents. You can't possibly think of leaving her in a dog pound." Jack shrugged sheepishly. "Yes ma'am," he said with a grin. Obviously Nicki had intentions of keeping the little bugger. He wasn't about to stand in the way of making her happy. Nicki made the puppy a bed in a box lined with one of Jack's older shirts. "I'd just got that one broke in," he complained good naturedly, watching with humor as Nicki put the pup in the box. To his surprise, it snuggled down in the folds of the shirt immediately and closed it's eyes. "Well, I'll be," he said.
"She just needed a meal and a bed," Nicki said with a shrug, watching proudly as her new friend slept contentedly. "So, now we've got a dog, eh?" Jack asked. Nicki smiled. "It looks like we do."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lea ONeill