Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

We Made a Deal

by Laura Y
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
We Made A Deal

We Made A Deal

by Laura Y

TITLE: We Made A Deal
AUTHOR: Laura Y
EMAIL: mrdrdoc@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Angst, Thoughts
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: D&C
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: angst, character death
SUMMARY: Carter thinks back to a conversation with O'Neill.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This was my very first SG-1 story...I'm sorry! I was fed up with all those 'call me Jack' fics I was reading and had also been reading a bunch of 'Sam dies' fics...this is what happened. So it's short, but sad.

We made a deal, sir. Don't you remember? It was just after Martouf died. You came to see me in my office afterwards, and caught me crying on my desk. You didn't say a word, you didn't need to, you just sat down silently next to me, and let me pull myself together. Then you gave me one of your famous Jack O'Neill pep talks, one where you start out well, but end up stammering and using clichs. And we both know how you feel about clichs. And then you gave me a hug.

One hug, perfectly platonic, comforting a friend who has just lost someone, even though you didn't like him. We could have changed then, but instead we made a deal. I told you that I'd heard you whisper before you turned to ask Freya if she'd been tested for Zatarc programming. Right after we agreed to keep what we'd said between us, you whispered "for now..." That surprised you, knowing that I'd heard. You blushed and tried to pretend that I'd been hearing things, but I guess I looked so sad, or so awful, right then that you admitted it.

And so we made a deal. We made a deal that we would keep our professional relationship the way that it is. The way that it worked so well for so long. We weren't ready for the change; it was too big right then. It would have disrupted the team, our perfect little family. We'd keep on being the Colonel and the Major. Sir and Carter. Sir and Sam. And that's it. Until...

Until the time was right, I guess. We never did figure out when that would be. But until there were no obstructions. Until you and I were finally equal in rank, or one of us was no longer in the military. The second was more likely, we both knew that. Eventually you'd retire, and stay retired. I won't call you Jack until then, sir.

And that was fine. The team was fine, in fact we were better than fine. I think that zatarc scare finished cementing the four of us together. We didn't socialize with any of the other teams; we spent our time on and off base together. The next three missions went so well that we were practically reading each other's minds. At least you and I were. I think we left Teal'c and Daniel out of the loop a couple of times, but mostly it was all four of us.

We thought that we were blessed, touched by an angel, had the luck of the Irish; we thought that we were just that good. And then we took the assignment that SG8 couldn't take due to injuries. We were on a roll, we were kicking ass on every mission and then we went to Hyntana.

There's no point in rehashing that again. I relive it every night, and every waking moment. I can't get away from the scenes of destruction. The bodies everywhere and then the attack. We tried so hard to fight back, to get home...and we did. We did. And now...now it's come time for us to keep our deal.

"Good-bye." Sam Carter whispered as her best friend's coffin was lowered into the ground. "I'll miss you...Jack."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Laura Y