Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Healing Part 1, The

by Laura Y
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Healing

The Healing

by Laura Y

TITLE: The Healing
AUTHOR: Laura Y
EMAIL: MrdrDoc@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Series, AU, Angst, Drama
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: In the Line of Duty, Tin Man, The Nox, Tokra I & II, Point of View, Divide and Conquer, Window of Opportunity
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: angst, au, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: SG-1 returns from a strange planet, and Sam isn't feeling well.
STATUS: Unfinished
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. Not to be archived without permission of the author.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Set sometime after Divide and Conquer, but it is AU from there. This is dedicated to my good friends, the other members of the SSG who all keep encouraging me. Thanks guys!

"Carter. Carter. Pssst, Carter. Wake up."

The insistent noise was like an annoying insect, buzzing around Samantha Carter's ear. She tried to shut it out; it couldn't possibly be time to get up yet, could it? A sharp nudge in her ribs brought her fully awake, and tried to sit up, gasping when a strong hand held her shoulder down.

"Slowly, Major. It's a little disorienting if you get up too fast."

Looking around her, Carter realized that she was lying on her back in front of the steps leading to the Stargate, and her commanding officer was leaning over her, his face so close to hers, she could feel his breath on her cheek.

"OK, Daniel, Carter's awake. Dial us up and get us the hell out of here."

Slowly sitting up, Carter saw Daniel and Teal'c strapping their packs on from a pile on the ground, and she realized that her pack and weapons had been removed. Daniel moved over to the DHD and began to input Earth's coordinates.

"Glad you're awake, Carter, I wasn't looking forward to carrying you through the Gate. You know that Hammond doesn't like it when we don't all walk through on our own."

Turning to her commanding officer, Carter asked what would normally be an insane question, but given the previous experiences of SG-1, was not all that extraordinary. "Sir. Colonel, weren't we just..."

"Dead? Yeah, Carter, we were just dead."

"Again?"

"Apparently. Are you OK, Carter?"

"I don't know, sir. I feel strange, like something is a little off...weird." At his sideways look, she added, "Aside from just being reanimated, sir."

"That's funny, because I feel great. And just like the last time, it's got me a little worried. Gear up, and let's get the hell off this planet."

As the wormhole snapped shut behind SG-1, General Hammond strode into the Gate Room. "Where the devil have you been, SG-1?"

"Well, sir, we've just come back from the dead. How long were we gone?" O'Neill walked casually down the ramp, but stopped as Hammond spoke.

"You were due back two days ago. You've been on P3X-4G4 for nearly a week."

O'Neill, Carter, Daniel and Teal'c turned to Hammond and said as one, "A week?"

"I want all of you to report to the infirmary and we'll debrief at 14:00. Dismissed."

"But sir, I don't remember being gone for a day..."

"Major, believe me, it's been a week. Now go see Doctor Fraiser, and get checked out." Hammond watched as his four best people trudged past him and wondered what amazing story they were going to tell him today.

"Daniel? How do you feel?" Doctor Fraiser looked into Daniel's eyes with her penlight and then listened to his heart for a minute and made some notations on her chart.

"I feel like...actually, I feel great." Daniel sat up and looked around the room.

"For someone who has just come back from the dead, you look great." Jack's sardonic remark caused Fraiser's head to whip back to look at Jack.

"Dead? Again?"

"Yup, again. Now, doesn't anyone else think it's odd that this concept doesn't bother us more?" With a wry look at Sam, O'Neill got to his feet. "Can we go to the world's shortest debriefing now?"

"Nothing?" Hammond looked from face to face in the conference room. Each member of SG-1 wore the same look of puzzlement, even Teal'c, which illustrated more than anything else how confused they all were.

"Nothing, sir. I remember going through the Gate, and then a bright light and then...nothing."

"Major? Dr. Jackson? Teal'c?" All three of them faced him and shrugged their shoulders. "Well, something happened. We couldn't send a team through for a rescue, the Gate wouldn't dial the coordinates again. We were considering asking the Tok'ra for help. Major, are you all right?" Hammond noticed Carter holding her hand to the side of her head.

"Yes, sir, I'm fine. Just a headache. Janet says it should be gone soon, a side effect of death, apparently."

"Carter, you should get that checked out, the rest of us feel fine. Better than fine." O'Neill looked at his second in command with concern.

"O'Neill, it is more likely that we should be examined more thoroughly." Teal'c first words caused all eyes to focus on him.

Daniel spoke us as well. "He's right, Jack. The last time we felt this good, we turned out to be robots, remember?"

"Well, that can't have happened again. The other...us's buried the Gate...there's no way..." Jack trailed off. "Is there?"

Carter looked at him. "I don't think so, sir. Especially since I don't feel better than normal. I just feel...off."

"Well, SG-1, you are all relieved from active duty until we determine what happened to you while you were gone. I want you all to go back to the infirmary for another check up tomorrow and stay on base until Fraiser has some answers."

"Hey Carter, you awake?" O'Neill stuck his head into Sam's quarters to see her lying on her side with her eyes squeezed shut. "Sam, are you OK?"

She sat up on the bad and looked at him with a wan smile.

"Yes, sir, it's just a headache. A splitting headache. I don't know what could be causing it and Janet hasn't found anything. And the medication she gave me isn't doing anything..." She suddenly stopped talking and gasped.

"Carter? Carter? What is it?"

"Sir? I think I know what's wrong..." Sam's voice trailed off as she tried to stand. Jack moved towards her just in time to stop her from crashing to the floor. He laid her on the bed and ran out into the hall to use the emergency phone to call for medics.

He rushed back into Sam's room and crouched by her, grabbing her arms, as if he could infuse her with his strength. "Carter, just hang in there. The Doc will be here any minute." He leaned forward as she whispered something. "What? Carter, I couldn't hear, what did you say?"

"Sir. She's back."

"Who, Sam? Who's back?" O'Neill moved in closer to hear her response, but when she spoke, it was as if his worst nightmare had come true, and he pushed away from the bed so fast that he tripped backwards and hit the wall.

"Jolinar." The Tok'ra spoke and Sam turned to look at Jack with bright, glowing eyes.

The next few minutes would never be clear in O'Neill's mind, no matter how hard he tried to remember. Somehow he scrambled up and went out the door to hit the alarm on the wall. The medical team came running down the corridor from the elevator, and he yelled at them to stop.

As the sound of the klaxons filled the hallway he turned back to the room, half expecting Sam/Jolinar to attack him and try to run for the Stargate. What he saw was his friend and colleague sitting on her bed with her hands flat on her knees, staring at him.

As a security team rounded the corner and closed on his position, he watched Sam, waiting for her to do or say something, anything, even though he wouldn't have been able to hear her over the alarms. He held out his hand to stop the security officers from entering the room and told one of them to get on his radio and get the alarm shut off.

"Sir, was it a false alarm?"

"No, airman, it wasn't. But having that alarm blaring isn't going to do any good. There's no outside threat." Jack was reluctant to tell the young soldier what was wrong, he thought that the fewer people who knew, the better. He turned to the doctor leading the medical team, thankful it wasn't Fraiser, who never would have accepted his decision and would have insisted on seeing Sam. "The medical call was a false alarm, though, we won't be needing you."

"I've got it from here, airman. If you wouldn't mind, though, we'd like an escort to the briefing room. Call General Hammond and tell him that we're on our way. Wait here for a minute." And with that, O'Neill stepped into Carter's room and closed the door behind him.

The sergeant in charge of the security team made the call, unable to say what the Colonel wanted. He then dismissed all but two of his people and the three remaining took up positions outside the Major's door.

Inside the room, O'Neill stood with his back to the door and looked at his second in command.

"Carter? Is that you?"

"No. It is I, Jolinar of Malkshur. I assure you, I am not a threat to you. I am...confused as to what has happened."

"You're confused?" He took a deep breath. "Look I know who you are, just let me talk to Carter, I need to know she's there."

Sam closed her eyes and when they opened, she looked at Jack with a mixture of fear and awe.

""Sir. She's telling the truth, she doesn't intend to run or hurt anyone. She's as dazed as I am. I don't understand...how can this have happened? This isn't possible."

"You're telling me, Carter. Seriously, are you OK? She's not...making you say these things?"

"No sir. She couldn't. I'm in control, she's just...there."

"Well Carter, we have a situation here. It's too late to undo the alarm, and I can't honestly say that I want to, but we've gotta go see Hammond, right now."

"I understand. Sir, it's OK. Really. Let's go." She paused. "I'll be the one talking, don't worry."

"Me, worry? Ha. After you, Major." O'Neill opened the door and indicated that she proceed him out into the hallway.

In the briefing room, Hammond and Teal'c sat at their usual places, while Daniel Jackson was pacing along one side of the room. They all turned as Sam preceded Jack into the room, and Hammond raised his eyebrows as he saw O'Neill dismiss the security team at the door. Sam walked to the end of the room and stood facing the rest of her team and the base commander.

"Colonel, what's this all about?"

"What's going on, Jack?" Daniel and Hammond spoke at once.

"Sir, we have a problem here." Jack moved into the room after closing the door and took his seat at the table, turning his chair so that he could see Carter where she was standing. "Carter, care to explain?" He kept his eyes on hers, trying to silently give her his support and encouragement.

However, before Sam could say anything, Teal'c pushed his chair back suddenly and stood up. "O'Neill, Major Carter is..." He cut off at Jack's gesture, which was made as he stared at her, not turning to look at the Jaffa.

"I know, Teal'c. It's OK. Let her explain."

"What's OK? Major, would you care to shed some light here?" Hammond's exasperated voice broke their eye contact and Sam turned to him and took a deep breath.

"Sir, I know why I've been feeling so bad since our return from P3X-4G4. We were killed, and then we were healed. The others were fixed up, good as new, even Teal'c's symbiote, right?" At the jaffa's nod, she continued. "When they healed me, they didn't just heal Samantha Carter."

"What? Major, you're not making a whole lot of sense." Hammond leaned forward in his chair. "Are you saying that you're not healthy? That they didn't heal you properly?"

"No, sir. That's not what she's saying at all." O'Neill nodded at the look that Teal'c was giving him, having deduced what had happened. "She's fine. However..." As though they had rehearsed it, he turned back to Sam and tilted his head.

"However, they healed me as well." At Jolinar's voice, Hammond and Daniel jumped up from their chairs, both exclaiming loudly.

Jolinar spoke to reassure them, hoping to allay their fears and not cause a general panic. "It is I, Jolinar of Malkshur. I will not attempt to run or harm anyone. I now know, from Major Carter's mind, that you have had contact with the Tok'ra. You know I mean what I say."

Hammond turned to O'Neill and questioned him in an incredulous voice. "How long have you known?"

"Just since the alarm, sir. That was me, over-reacting at the sound of a Gould voice coming out of Carter's mouth."

"I am not Goa'uld." Carter's eyes flashed. "You know that by now."

Daniel winced and Jack sighed.

"Yeah, OK. We know you're not Gould, but we've had some...questionable experiences with the Tok'ra."

"You have had contact with many good Tok'ra. Selmak, Freya, Lantesh..." At the last name, Sam's eyes widened and she let out a low moan. Her knees seemed to give out, and she fell to the floor.

O'Neill moved towards her and caught her arms, holding her up. He ignored the others moving around the table towards them and leaned close to her.

"Carter? What is it?"

"Oh god, sir. She knows, she knows that Lantesh is dead, that I killed Martouf. Colonel, she's in so much pain..." Carter let out another moan, and the despair in her voice almost brought tears to O'Neill's eyes. She grabbed his shirt over his biceps and held on so tightly he thought that his uniform would rip. Jack could tell that she was fighting a losing battle against a complete breakdown and wanted to get her somewhere private to grieve.

"Sam? What is it? Do you need Fraiser?" Daniel reached them and squatted down on Carter's other side. He laid his hand on her back and looked at Jack with a questioning gaze.

"General. Permission to take Carter back to her quarters, sir?" O'Neill looked up at Hammond, who seemed to be in conflict with himself as he came to a decision.

"Permission granted, son, but we'll need to keep a guard on her for the time being."

"Yes, sir." He turned back to Carter and gave her a little shake. "Come on Sam, I'm taking you back to your quarters. Just hang on for a few minutes."

Her wide, hurt eyes looked at him, and she nodded, knowing that she needed to hold herself together for a little longer.

Even knowing that the pain was not hers, Jack wanted nothing more than to take it away. He'd felt that kind of all encompassing grief, and he'd rather suffer the fires of hell than see Sam in this kind of agony.

By the time they made it back to her quarters, Jack was all but carrying Sam; she didn't seem capable of supporting her own weight, much less moving it along the halls.

O'Neill left the security officer outside, and shut the door after placing Carter on her bed where she lay down and curled into a ball, sobbing as if she'd lost her best friend. Which he supposed she had, in a manner of speaking. He sat in a chair by her bed and felt helpless as he watched someone he cared about be torn to pieces.

Eventually her jagged sobs quieted and Jack realized that his hand had moved, almost of its own accord, and was stroking her hair softly. He pulled it away, and she stirred, sitting up slowly. She wiped her face on the sleeve of her shirt, and turned to him with a watery smile.

"Sorry, sir. I just couldn't...I don't know..."

"It's OK, Carter, I know. Believe me, I know." He looked at her intently. "Is that it for now? We kind of left in the middle of an important briefing."

"Yes, sir." She straightened up on the bed and grabbed a Kleenex to blow her nose. "How do I look, sir?"

For a minute O'Neill didn't answer, knowing that telling his second in command that even with bloodshot eyes and a blotchy face she still looked beautiful to him was a bad idea.

"That bad, eh sir?" She smiled again at his stammering. "Don't worry, I understand."

"No Carter, you look fine. Really." He got up and moved to the door. "So, ya ready to face the gauntlet?"

"Not really Colonel, but I will." She paused. "We will." With that Sam walked past him and out into the hall. O'Neill followed, knowing that she was far from fine, she was devastated, dealing with both a new 'person' in her head, and a terrible loss at the same time. He walked down the hall, marveling at the inner strength of the woman in front of him, knowing that in her place, he would not have coped nearly as well.

As Carter and O'Neill approached the briefing room, they could hear what sounded like an argument in full swing. Jack reached for the handle of the door and turned to look at Carter, partly to reassure himself that she was still holding up, and partly just to look at her. He tried not to feel as though he was throwing his best friend to the wolves, and raised an eyebrow. Sam gave a small smile and nodded, but he could see that it was entirely for his benefit. She was hiding it well, but he could read her so well after four years that it didn't fool him for an instant.

Jack opened the door and the four people inside were so intent on each other, they didn't even pause in their heated discussion. Hammond and Daniel were facing each other, the General raising his voice to get over Daniel's impassioned speech and the archaeologist looking very worked up and waving his hands around, as he often did to make a point. The other pair was involved in a much more one-sided fight. Teal'c stood facing his formidable opponent trying to get a word in edgewise as Janet Fraiser stabbed a finger into his chest, the passion of a devoted friend and doctor obviously giving her the upper hand.

"Ahem. Excuse me folks, could we bring this meeting..." There was no break in the noise level, and Jack was about to use his best hockey game whistle when Carter beat him to it.

"Silence!"

Nothing could have been more effective, as everyone, including O'Neill, spun to face the source of the voice. The cold statement on Sam's face changed abruptly to one of surprise, and she flushed slightly.

"Ah, sorry General. Jolinar...I'd just like to get on with this, sir." Carter moved forward to sit at the table, trying not to notice the variety of strange looks she was getting. As everyone sat down, she looked around the table at the faces of her friends and commanding officer. Janet was giving her the 'I know you're lying about feeling fine, and I'm not going to let anything get in the way of my fixing you up' stare, Daniel was looking at her like she was some sort of artifact, Teal'c looked like he'd have been feeling better with a zat gun pointed at her and Hammond looked like he usually did when something happened to SG-1, confused and not sure if this was a good thing or the beginning of the end of the world.

General Hammond was the first to break the silence, and all faces turned to him when he cleared his throat.

"Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter, as you can see, there is some disagreement as to what has happened and what should be done." Janet opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off before she could say anything. "Dr. Fraiser, I'll have the Major report to the infirmary for a complete going over after we are done here."

"Sam, Teal'c has raised concerns as to the identity of the symbiote within you."

"Sir?" Carter turned to look at Teal'c.

"Major Carter, it is possible that you were taken as a host by another Goa'uld who has had the chance to look into your memories, and those of Jolinar, and has decided to use that information to his advantage."

Carter suddenly understood why Teal'c appeared uneasy. "No Teal'c, that's not possible. I mean, I'm sure it would be possible, but there is no way that I would be fooled. I can't explain it. This is Jolinar. It's like...have you ever stood in front of Daniel and mistaken him for someone else? I know that this is Jolinar like I know that each of you in this room are who you are."

Sam looked towards O'Neill, who was staring at Teal'c, having never thought of this possibility. Sam swallowed and took a chance that O'Neil would back her up. "Sir, you saw how she reacted when she found out that Lantesh is dead, that I killed Martouf. Another Tok'ra, or a Goa'uld would not have felt that, or been able to fake it."

O'Neill stared hard at Carter for a second, watching her struggle for composure as she felt Jolinar's grief again, before turning to Hammond and nodding slightly.

"All right, Major, since we have no other way of determining that, we'll leave it and go on. Along with expressing his concern for your safety and well-being, Dr. Jackson seems to think that we, or you rather, have come upon some amazing treasure."

"Daniel!" Jack's exclamation had everyone turning to him. "This is Carter we're talking about."

"Jack, just think about it. Sam, you've got to admit that this could be good. Having a Tok'ra here could be to our advantage. Jolinar was, is, a top operative for the Tok'ra. She has a lot of information that we could use, and hopefully she'll share it freely, or Sam will, anyhow. We'll have closer ties to the Tok'ra."

"This isn't a Tok'ra, Daniel. This is a member of my team! This is Carter with a snake in her head."

"Daniel. Sir." Sam interrupted, and both of them looked at her like they'd forgotten she was even there. She turned to Hammond who was watching them all. "General, all I can tell you is that there is no threat here. I, that is Jolinar and I, think that we need to go back to P3X 4G4. We need to know what happened, what was done to us." She paused as if thinking, and everyone else in the room shifted in their chairs as they realized that she was actually talking to herself.

Carter continued, "But before that, Jolinar thinks that we need to contact the Tok'ra. Right away."

"Good idea, Major. They'll want to know about this. Teal'c, you and Dr. Jackson arrange to get that done, and let me know when we can expect representatives. I expect that Jacob will want to be here for this. Major, I'd like you to go with Dr. Fraiser and get completely checked out. I want to know anything and everything that could happen here, Doctor. I'll be in my office thinking about how long I can put off sending this up the flagpole. Anything else?" The General looked uncomfortable for a second and turned to Sam. "Does Jolinar have anything she'd like to say?"

"No sir, she knows how you all feel, and she's...content to let me handle the conversation." Sam smiled slightly to herself. "Believe me, she'll let you know when she has something to contribute."

Hammond looked around the table at a group of people all trying to come to terms with something they'd rather not have to deal with. "Fine then. Dismissed".

"Yes, sir." Sam and Janet got up and left for the infirmary. As Hammond left, Jack turned to Daniel.

"What the hell are you going on about, Daniel? A good thing? This is an unqualified disaster. A member of my team has been compromised, Carter's got a snake in her head!"

"Jack, think about it. Jacob is a Tok'ra and that has worked out great. Having a Tok'ra on base could be a huge advantage."

"Well great Daniel, but what if they decide they want her back? Do you think that Carter could just say no thanks, I'd rather stay here? Especially if the snake wants to go?"

"I don't think that they'd make her do something that she doesn't want to do. And I'm sure that she and Jolinar could come to some sort of agreement. Listen Jack, do you think that maybe the reason you're so upset about this is not because of the Tok'ra at all?"

"What? Of course it's the Tok'ra, I know you're all convinced that they're a bunch of friendly snakeheads, but you know how I feel about them."

"What I mean is, do you think that it's because of who has been taken as a host? That it's Sam?" Daniel could have sworn that Jack looked vulnerable for just an instant, but then his military face was back in control.

"Are you loopy Daniel? Of course I'm mad that it's Carter. I'd be just as upset if you'd been taken as a host, Daniel. I can't afford to lose any of you."

"Really. OK then, Teal'c and I will go contact the Tok'ra and let them know what has happened. We'll see how that goes."

"Yeah well, you can hope for the best, but I'm not holding my breath." With that Jack turned to leave. "I'll be in my office if you need me."

After leaving the briefing room, Jack turned down the nearest corridor and leaned heavily against the wall. Daniel's last comment had struck home, but he hoped that he'd been able to cover his reaction before Daniel had seen it. He knew that Teal'c had noticed by the slight tilt of his head, but then, Teal'c noticed everything. And if nothing else, he could be counted on for his discretion.

He sighed, and reflected on what Daniel had said. Of course he was upset that it was Sam, and he'd been lying to Daniel when he said he'd have been just as upset if one of the others had been taken as host. He'd thought that it had been difficult the first time that Jolinar had shown up, but that had been before. Before he'd worked with Carter for four years, before he'd almost lost her on Apophis' ship and had to face what he felt for her. Before he'd seen what their lives were like in an alternate reality. Before he'd kissed her.

He sighed again. *There's no point in going over this Jack, my boy.* He knew that there was little he could do at this point to help Carter, except to give her his support. And he knew how difficult that would be. Until she'd...consulted Jolinar, he'd all but forgotten that another being shared her body. He looked at her and saw Sam Carter, the same Carter he'd seen for the last four years, the same Carter he knew and...cared for. *As a member of your team, right? The Sam Carter who you can't live without because she's such an invaluable member of your team.*

It was when he remembered the snake that things took a downturn. Shewasn'tjust Carter anymore, she was something else. And yet how could he abandon her because of this? She needed her team more than ever, especially to stand up to the Tok'ra. No matter what Daniel said, they couldn't be trusted, and who knew what they'd want from Carter now.

He pushed away from the wall, and started down the hall, forgetting he'd told Daniel he'd be in his office and heading straight for the infirmary.

After Sam and Dr. Fraiser had left the briefing room, they'd walked in silence to the infirmary, each lost in her own thoughts.

At the door to the infirmary, Fraiser turned to their armed escort and put her hand up to stop them. "That's far enough, gentlemen. You can wait out here."

"I'm sorry Doctor, the General said to guard Major Carter, and we won't be able to do that from out here." The Sergeant looked distinctly uncomfortable.

"Well, Sergeant Mullins, I am not going to do a complete physical on the Major with you staring over my shoulder. I am...we are in no danger."

"But Doctor..."

"Sergeant, need I remind you that in medical matters I outrank every person on this base?"

The young airman looked even more uneasy, and at Fraiser's determined stare he backed down, resolving to call the General and let him know what the doctor had decreed, regardless of what she thought about it.

"You go right ahead and call General Hammond, and he'll tell you to do whatever I say." Janet smiled at the startled look on the Sergeant's face and turned to follow her patient into the infirmary.

Sam had boosted herself up onto the nearest cot and was watching Janet as she came in. "Did you beat another one into submission?"

"Nah, this one only needed a little scaring, most of them have dealt with me up to this point, and those that haven't have heard all the stories." Janet looked at Sam suddenly, as though she had forgotten why they were there, and turned away to get an instrument tray.

"OK, Sam, you know the drill. We'll do a full physical and then run an MRI, a CT, and anything else I can think of. I know you're not always the ideal patient, but..." Her voice trailed off as she realized that she wasn't even dealing with only one patient.

"It's OK, Janet. I can't explain it, but it's OK. She's as confused as I am, but she won't try to hurt you or anything."

"That didn't even cross my mind, Sam. I knowyoubetter than that. I would like to speak to her though, if that's OK with both of you."

"Of course, Doctor Fraiser. What do you wish to ask?" Jolinar's voice caused Janet to start slightly, as she had not seen Sam 'switch over' to the Tok'ra.

"Oh my. All right then. Do you have any idea of what's happened?" At the negative response, she continued, "What can you tell me about what you remember?"

"I do not remember anything. My last memory before today was of this room, as I died." She paused, "Then I remember...awakening. I do not understand what has happened, or how. I believe, however, that the answer does not lie within Samantha Carter, but on the planet we were...healed on."

"OK, well, for now, I have to do some tests, maybe they won't tell us anything, but we won't know till we try."

Janet started again as Sam spoke. "Sure, Janet, let's just get it over with."

"Geez Sam, how about a little warning when you do that? You know, like General Carter does with Selmak?"

"Is it that sudden? I can feel the transition, it seems like you should be able to see it. Besides, I always thought that thing the others do with the bowed head looks a little silly and too dramatic. But I'll do it if you like." Sam smiled suddenly.

"What?"

"Nothing." Janet looked doubtful. "Nothing, really, it's just that Jolinar agrees with me. She has quite the sense of humour. I never realized...it's so strange, Janet. She's there, and listening, and making comments. It's like watching TV while talking on the phone. I guess it'll take some getting used to, splitting my attention like that."

"Well, as you said, let's get on with it. Tell me how you feel, and anything you can possible think of that could help here."

"Ah, sir, I wouldn't go in there if I were you..." The Sergeant trailed off as Colonel O'Neill pushed through the doors of the infirmary. Why wasn'theafraid of Doctor Fraiser?

"Ladies. How goes the battle?" Sam, who was just sitting up as she was rolled out of the MRI, looked over at him and smiled. Janet looked up from the results of a previous test and frowned at him, but didn't bother to say anything, because she could see from the obstinate look on his face that he wouldn't leave unless Sam told him to. And one look at her told Janet that was unlikely to happen.

"We're nearly done here sir. Have you been able to contact the Tok'ra?"

"I don't know, Carter. Daniel and Teal'c went to do that. I just don't think that we should be in such a hurry to see them." He stopped speaking suddenly, remembering that he was speaking to a member of the Tok'ra, as well as Carter. "I'm sure they'll be here as soon as they can. You know how much your dad likes me, he'll jump at the chance to come see us."

"Yes sir. He thinks of you like a son, Colonel." Carter paused, and then to the astonishment of the Colonel and Janet who was watching her, flushed red. Realizing that they were staring at her, she let out an exasperated breath and turned away.

"Carter, you OK?" O'Neill was up beside her in an instant, and grabbed her arms, in case she was about to fall. Sam gasped and stiffened so suddenly that he let go, wondering if he'd hurt her.

"No sir, I mean yes sir, I'm fine. I'm just having some difficulties..." She trailed off.

At Janet's pointed look towards the door, Jack mumbled something about checking on Daniel and Teal'c and rapidly made his way out of the room, wondering why on earth Sam had reacted to him in that way.

"Oh god Janet, did I look like a total idiot?" Sam moaned as she turned around to face her friend.

"Well Sam, as your friend I have to be honest..." At Sam's aghast look, she smiled, "No you didn't. I think you've confused the Colonel though, and not just him. What was that all about?"

"You know how I said she's making comments? She made a doozy."

Janet thought back to what had been said just before Sam's odd reaction, 'he thinks of you like a son', and decided that she probably shouldn't say anything. She listened to Sam as she continued.

"I don't know how they do it. I never realized it was so hard."

"What, Sam?"

"Not reacting to what's being said in your head. She pulled it out of my thoughts, but still..." Sam trailed off as she realized that she could probably get herself in trouble following this conversational stream. "Maybe Selmak doesn't crack jokes, but I don't know how dad doesn't laugh. Or stop to say something to her. I guess you just get used to it, and learn to listen to two things at once."

"Sam, are you sure you should be getting used to it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, are you going to...for lack of a better phrase, 'keep' her?" At Sam's astonished look, she smiled gently, "Surely you've thought of it, Sam? We know that the Tok'ra can voluntarily change hosts, especially when they're as healthy as Jolinar apparently is right now. I don't want to be the bad guy here, mostly because I know you'll be hearing this from the Colonel, but what about the other Tok'ra? Won't they want her, want you, back?"

Sam sat, stunned, looking at Janet, not listening to Jolinar or anything going on around her, until Daniel's voice broke through her thoughts.

"Sam? Sam, they're here, the Tok'ra are here."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Laura Y