Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Life Goes On

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Life Goes On

Life Goes On

by Lady S

TITLE: Life Goes On
AUTHOR: Lady S
EMAIL: anywho_sew@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Drama
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: My Guys ; Falling ; Given Time ; Revelations of the Heart ; Saying Goodbye
RATING: PG13
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Big surprises are in store for more than just Jack. But can Sam make the right decision?
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Not mine. I just play with them.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This one is kind of short but the series is gonna keep going. I know a lot of you don't like Makepeace but the guy got the raw end of the deal all because of a bad choice. Everyone deserves a second chance ... right!!

"You wanted to see me, Sir?"

"Yes Colonel ... pull up a chair." Hammond motioned to the chair across from him and watched as Jack sat down. In his dress blues, Jack looked very uncomfortable forcing Hammond to swallow a smile. "Is everything all set for the delegation?"

"Yes'sir. Gate room and commissary are decorated and the SGC is spotless."

"Good, good. Then all we have to ... "

"Incoming travelers!" announced the technician as the klaxons activated.

Jack jumped from his chair and they both raced to the gate room only to find it dark, pitch black.

"What the hell?" Jack said.

As the words left his mouth the lights came on to reveal a gate room full of men and women in dress uniforms, an archeologist in khaki, and a Jaffa in fatigues. Hammond marched to the top of the ramp.

"Colonel Jonathan O'Neill ... " he bellowed. "Present yourself!"

Still unsure of what was happening Jack made his way to the top of the ramp and stood at attention before General Hammond.

"Colonel O'Neill ... you are charged with conduct above and beyond the call of duty. You have acted in a manner that no longer befits the status of Colonel. Therefore you are being stripped of that rank. You are hereby to be known as GENERAL Jonathan O'Neill." Hammond smiled at him. "Congratulations, Son. Will the presenter of the bars please step forward?"

A rustle from the back of the room was heard and from the corner of his eyes Jack saw the crowd parting to allow someone through. Jack was barely able to keep his eyes in his head as he saw his very dear, very smart, very beautiful, and VERY pregnant friend waddle up the ramp. Sam came to a stop in front of him and looked up into his eyes.

"You say a word and I'll kill you!" she whispered as she saw the laughter in his eyes.

Jack was barely able to keep a straight face as Sam pinned his new rank onto his jacket. She saluted him sharply before smiling and kissing his cheek.

"Congratulations General," she said, her tone conveying the pride he saw in her eyes.

"Hip Hip ... "

"Hooray!"

"Hip Hip ... "

"Hooray!"

"Hip Hip ... "

"Hooray!"

Jack turned and saluted the men and women of the SGC that stood below him, each one smiling for the man they had come to know as friend.

"Ladies and gentlemen ... on to the party!"

"Sam you look wonderful!"

"Thanks, Janet! I feel like a beached whale! I haven't seen my feet in weeks!" she complained wiggling her bare toes as Robert massaged her feet.

The group laughed. It was late and they were all sprawled throughout the rec room. Sam and Robert were on the couch while Janet and Jack occupied the oversized chair. Daniel had Cassie in his lap and were seated on the floor next to Teal'c while Hammond and Jacob were at the table playing the annual chess game.

"I keep telling her she looks gorgeous. After all that's how I like 'em ... barefoot and pregnant."

"And I keep telling him he's a lying dead man." Sam said as she whacked his chest with her foot.

Jack laughed. "It's hopeless Rob. I went through the same thing with Sara. No matter what you say you won't win! Until that kid is born you are in the doghouse!"

Jack squeezed Janet as he spoke letting her know she was his and he was hers. Sam smiled ... Janet and Jack. It was perfect! She still called him Sir to his face, just to be irritating, but everywhere else she called him Jack now.

"How much longer Sam?"

"Any day now ... " Robert answered.

"Is it safe to gate travel while she's pregnant?" Janet asked.

"Yes." Lantesh answered. "Gate travel does not harm mother or child."

Jack cringed. It still got to him when he saw people do that. It was one thing he doubted he'd ever get used to.

"Sorry Jack. I know that bothers you." Robert said as he took over again.

"'S'kay. Just trying to get used to it."

Sam groaned. "I'll be right back."

Robert glanced at Sam and then sent a pleading look to Janet. It took her a second to catch on but she jumped up and said she would join Sam. As they were walking, or waddling depending on who it was, Sam suddenly clutched her stomach and stopped dead still. Janet immediately knew what was happening.

"Okay mom ... let's get you to the infirmary." She grabbed a passing airman to run ahead and warn the infirmary and then grabbed his friend to run and get Robert and company.

By the time the men got to the infirmary Janet and Sam were inside in the middle of birth. Forcing them to stay outside Janet worked with her nurses until they had delivered a healthy baby. Taking a moment, Janet took the brand new little girl out to greet her family.

"Gentlemen ... meet the newest addition to the Makepeace-Carter family. Do we have a name for your little girl, Daddy?"

"Mistic," he said, his voice shaking with joy and pride.

Janet handed Mistic to her father and made sure he had her securely, before turning to face Jacob.

"Congratulations Grandpa."

Jacob's smile stopped suddenly as the monitors sounded from within and a nurse came rushing out.

"Doctor. She's crashing!"

Janet raced back in without a word and began issuing orders. She worked frantically for over an hour as the men waited, pale faced, outside for an answer. After almost two hours Janet emerged from the infirmary, her gown covered in blood. She looked from Robert to Jacob and back.

"She's lost a lot of blood. She's so badly injured that not even a healing ribbon could help her right now." Janet choked. "Sam's dying."

Robert held his daughter tightly to his chest, his hope crashing to the floor with every word she said. Lantesh took over as Robert's grief became too much. He kissed Mistic and handed her to Jack before turning to face Selmak.

"If she will join she can be saved."

Selmak regarded him silently. She knew he was right but she also knew how Sam felt about it.

"We must try. Robert you must ask her."

Robert emerged, took his daughter back, his grief channeled into hope, and entered the infirmary. He went over to her bed and looked down into her eyes.

"Sammie ... we have a baby! It's a girl! Mistic ... this is your mom. Sam ... please listen to me baby!" Sam looked at him, too drained to speak. "Doc says you lost a lot of blood. You're dying Sam. The ribbon won't work this time. The only way to live is to join with a To'kra. Sam, please! I don't want out little girl to grow up never knowing her mother. I need you here with me Sammie! I need you!" he whispered to her, placing feather kisses on her hair.

Sam looked at her daughter, her dark hair and blue eyes, a perfect blend of father and mother. Looking past them to her father and friends Sam made a decision she never thought she would willingly do. She wanted to live ... at any cost.

Sam nodded her head. She'd be joined.

Immediately the room became a flurry of activity. Jacob and George ran from the bedside to the gate room and Jacob was through the gate as soon as it had opened.

When he reached the other side he ran for the tunnels, stopping only when he reached the medical tunnels.

"Selmak! What is it? What's wrong?"

"Samantha is dying. She is in need of a joining."

"This timing could not have been more fortuitous. Ketra's host is dying. We shall come with you to the Tauri home-world."

// What's happened? //

// You were dying Sam. We've been joined. //

// Ketra? //

// Yes it is I. //

// I feel strange. //

// It is the newness. It will wear off in time. //

// Why you? //

// Gohan received wounds that were too much for me to heal. I could not save him. //

Sam could feel Ketra's sadness as if it were her own.

// I'm sorry. //

// I will never get used to loosing a friend that way. It will take some time for us to become fully blended as one. But we were good friends before we joined. It will make the process easier for us. Your daughter is beautiful. She has your eyes. //

// She's our daughter now. Four parents ... poor kid. //

Sam and Ketra laughed.

The room watched as a smile spread on Sam's face. A few moments later her eyes opened and she sat up.

"Hello," she said, her voice deep and rumbling.

"How do you fare Ketra?" Selmak asked.

"Sam and I are well. She is still tired but she is doing well." Ketra bowed her head and Sam rose it.

"Hi Dad."

Jacob kissed his daughters' head and hugged her.

"You have got to stop doing this to me!" he complained teasingly.

Robert moved forward with their daughter. The five of them hugged close, a family moment. Sam introduced Mistic to Ketra and enjoyed the view of her daughter for hours while she rested on the gurney.

Jack stopped by the infirmary to see Sam before he finished the paperwork that went along with being General.

"Hey Sam!"

"Hello Jack." Ketra said.

"Woah!" he stumbled. "Sorry ... just threw me for a bit. Hi Ketra. How are you gals doing?"

"We are well, thank you," she said. "May I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"Do I bother you?"

"Sam! What kinda question is that?"

"I am Ketra."

"Oh! Shit! Sorry! I just gotta get used to it. It's not that YOU bother me ... I just can't get used to the idea of sharing a body with someone. It's nothing personal."

"Of course not Jack." Ketra told him, kissing his cheek. "Sam assured me of as much. I just needed to be sure."

Smiling Jack ruffled her hair and left to finish his paperwork.

It was a few days later when Sam was allowed to go home. A group had gathered in the gate room to say goodbye. Jacob went through first, waving as he left. Robert, Sam, and baby Mistic stood at the top of the ramp looking at their friends below them. With a wave and kisses the trio stepped though the horizon to their home, anxious to begin a new life with their daughter. Everyday, no matter where you are, life will go on and with it comes the hardships and hope of living it.

Sorry it's so short!

Look for the next installment!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S