Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Heart and Soul

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Heart and Soul

Heart and Soul

by Lady S

TITLE: Heart and Soul
AUTHOR: Lady S
BETA-READER: Angie
EMAIL: anywho_sew@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: A/U ; Sam/Daniel ; Physical Abuse
SPOILERS: Don't know the titles
SEASON / SEQUEL: Sweet Sixteen and Dance With Me
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Daniel goes A/U and discovers something's should never be allowed.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Don't own a thing. Someone else does. Wish I did. But I don't.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Okay, okay, okay... all you big time Daniel-ite's please understand this is A/U!! Our Daniel, as he says so vehemently, would NEVER do this! Sadly SAM's reasoning is one that we hear all to often. As per usual... all A/U characters are written in CAP'S. Thanks for B.Reading once again A.! Hope you enjoy it!
FEEDBACK: I live for the stuff! Please help me stay alive!

The room was silent save for the music in the background as everyone watched the bride and groom float across the dance floor. The song was a perfect fit for their relationship. Loving, sweet, open and honest. They had no secrets from each other and hardly any from their friends. They were perfectly cast for each other. The maid of honor and best man stood side by side, her engagement ring shining in light, her daughter standing in front of them her camera clicking and snapping away. As the music stopped both couples leaned in for a kiss, relishing the sweetness of their lover's lips.

As the reception wound down five people sat around the head table a sixth asleep in one mans lap.

"Oh man... I can't believe you two are finally married. It seems like so long ago that you got engaged."

"I know! It seems so much longer than just a year. Of course that's probably got something to do with the fact that work kept getting in the way!"

"I am most pleased for both of you. I wish you much happiness is all that is to come."

"Thank you Teal'c. That was sweet."

Teal'c nodded his head as best as he could with Cassie's sleeping head under his chin.

Janet laughed. "Looks like it's time we went home. Come on sweetie!"

Moving to gather her daughter Janet was held back. "I'll get her." Jack said, swiftly picking up the not so little girl from Teal's lap. "Come on Teal'c. You can stay in the spare bedroom tonight."

Hugs, kisses, and handshakes were exchanged as the group parted its company each group heading it's own way. As Janet, Jack, Teal'c, and a sleeping Cassie headed out toward Jack's new Chevy 4X4 Daniel and Sam, now Mr. And Mrs., headed back out to the dance floor. Ever since she had been turned sixteen again they had begun their journey to this day, their wedding day. Dancing together on the floor Daniel held his wife close, hugging her to him her hand held close at his chest. Her head leaning back Sam stared into his eyes, silently blessing the planet that had brought them together. Daniel looked at her to find her eyes partly closed in sheer happiness and exhaustion as she laid her head on his shoulder.

"What say we head home?"

"No..." Sam whispered. "I don't want this night to end."

Daniel smiled. There were so many reason he loved Sam but one of the biggest was the one no one got to see but he. Deep down, beneath all the military and science, was a little girl who wanted to have fun; the little girl who liked to cuddle in front of the fire and the one who loved to jump into a fresh pile of fallen leaves. She was the one Daniel had fallen in love with first.

"Come on. The rest of the night is still ahead of us."

Sam looked at her husband. "The rest of our lives..." she corrected him.

"The rest of our lives," he repeated.

Strolling leisurely they made their way to the car that had been set aside for them only to find it covered in toilet and crepe paper.

"Good thing we brought a back-up." Sam smiled.

Turning they headed to the car parked around the corner only to find that it also had been hit. Removing a note from the windshield Daniel read it out loud.

"'Nice try.' Shoot! They knew."

"It's a nice night..." Sam suggested, "...let's walk."

Hand in hand they strolled down the road, each one unaware of the danger speeding up behind them. Before anyone could react the driver of a passing car lost control and began hurtling toward the couple. Daniel, seeing it first, pushed Sam out of it's path only to be struck full force and tossed into the air as easily as a rag doll. He landed a few feet into the forest, a limb from a nearby tree impaled through his chest. Screaming for someone to call 911 Sam rushed to his side, unsure of how to help him. Caressing his cheek Sam's tears coursed down her face. With a sad smile on his face Daniel closed his eyes and breathed a final raged breath. Screaming Sam backed away from the forest and into the road. An oncoming car lit up her dress, no blotched with the red life force of her own true love. Seeing that Sam was standing directly in its path the car began to honk its horn, a loud, fog horn of a sound eliminating the sound of Sam's screams.

"Sam! WAKE UP!!"

Coming back to reality with a scream Sam sat up and wildly looked at the man kneeling next to her, a vise-like grip on her shoulders. His blue eyes filled with concern he held fast as she tried to twist away from him, her mind still caught in her dream.

"Sam it's just a nightmare! It's okay!!"

"Oh god!! Dan's! I... It... You...!!!"

Daniel pulled Sam to him and settled back in the bed, slowly, soothingly, rocking her as she cried.

"Daniel you..." she began again. "You died!"

"Sshhh! Sam I'm not dead...I'm right here. You and me... and a couple hundred other people."

Calming down Sam smiled a small smile. She remembered where they were. He had surprised her with the tickets a few weeks before the wedding. A two-week Alaskan Cruise. Running her finger in circles on his bare chest Sam smiled and reached over for his ticklish spot.

"Oh no you don't!" he cried, grabbing her hand and holding it fast. "I'm starving... Let's eat!!"

"Yes... lets!" Sam agreed. Tilting her head in toward his chest she attempted to devour her 'meal'.

"Welcome back Dr's Jackson." Hammond began the debriefing. "It's good to have you back."

"Thanks you, Sir. It's nice to be home." Sam replied to him.

"I am sorry though that we have to send you on a mission right away. I'm sure you wanted to visit your labs first."

They smiled. "Where are we going General?" Daniel asked.

As the briefing continued on Sam and Daniel soon found out that the To'kra were in some pretty big trouble. They had been infiltrated by a Goa-uld spy and as a result had been hit hard. SG-1 was being sent out to escort a small band of To'kra back to earth to await instructions from the Council.

With in the hour SG-1 was geared up and ready to go. Standing at the base of the ramp Sam helped Daniel to adjust his straps while the chevrons finished dialing.

"Ready to go campers?"

"Yes Sir." Sam replied.

"Yeah." Daniel replied as Teal'c simply nodded.

Feeling playful Jack grabbed the hat from Daniel's head and raced toward the horizon holding it out behind him in tease. Half groaning and half laughing Daniel ran after him trying to retrieve his property.

As Jack ran toward the gate Sam called out to him noticing a loose strap that could cause some problems. Jack stopped just short of the gate but Daniel's momentum carried him through the event horizon. As soon as he crossed the threshold a brilliant flash blinded everyone. Jack, whose head had been turned, recovered first and looked to see a sight he knew could only mean trouble.

"Oh shit!"

Everyone present looked up with a worried stare at the gate that they could now see straight through to the wall behind it. The same question resounded silently from all their minds and hearts.

'Where's Daniel?'

****

Daniel emerged on the planet and waited for the rest of the team to show. To his shock the gate closed automatically after he emerged. Worried Daniel dialed home and, sending the signal, stepped through.

****

"Offworld Activation!" the technician cried out as the klaxons began to sound. The people already in the gate room cleared from the path of the gate and it opened a few moments later. As Daniel stepped through he surveyed the group below him. All was the same as when he had left save for the worried statements he saw on all the faces.

"Dr. Jackson?" HAMMOND asked as he came through the door.

"Umm... I'm not sure sir. I went through the gate and no one else did. What happened?"

"We're working on that right now. SG-1 stand down and we'll try to solve this problem."

With a shrug Daniel strode down to the bottom of the ramp and began to take off his pack. Before he could get far with it SAM, as silent as a stalker, came from behind and took it from him.

"Thanks Sam," he said to her.

SAM's baby blues widened in shock before she silently took the pack to the storage lockers. Watching her go Daniel wondered what he had said to shock her like that. There was something in her eyes that he'd never seen directed at him before. It was almost like...

"Dr. Jackson?"

"Huh?" Daniel snapped out of his reverie to find TEAL'C standing next to him. "Uh... yeah Teal'c? What'd you need?"

"Dr. Frasier wishes to examine you to be sure there are no physical side effects of this incident."

"Oh... right... Post mission medical. Probably the shortest mission in the books."

Heading out to the hallway Daniels thought's once more turned to SAM and why she'd reacted as she had. It didn't make any sense. Before he knew it they were at the infirmary. Seating himself on the gurney Daniel watched as JANET approached him, clipboard in hand.

"Well, well, well. Look who's ended up in my care...yet again." she said placing her clipboard on the table. "If I didn't know better I'd say you actually liked it here."

"I can think of something better to do with my time." Daniel replied.'Like find out what's wrong with Sam!'

"Indeed. So can I." JANET drawled.

JANET drew the curtain shut and turned her attention back to Daniel. He was so caught up in his thoughts that Daniel missed the look in her eyes that would have scared any man. Slowly JANET reached up to undo the zipper on Daniel's jacket. Daniel, still consumed with his own thoughts, assumed she wanted him to take off his jacket and shirt for the physical. Quickly he took them off while still thinking about the look in Sam's eyes. JANET smiled at his enthusiasm. Running her hands over his chest she searched for her mark on him.

Slowly it sunk into Daniel what Janet was doing and he began to feel uncomfortable. Shifting in his seat he looked away hoping she would finish whatever test she was doing.

"Hey!" Daniel shrieked as he felt JANET's lips kiss his nipple. Jumping from the gurney he backed away suddenly aware of what she had been doing. "Janet! What are you doing?"

JANET looked at him confused. "What we always do Danny. Your 'medical'."

"THAT is not a medical!" he said pointing to where he had been sitting on the gurney.

"What's going on here Daniel?"

"You tell me! I'm married Janet! You were there! As the maid of honor!"

"So."

Daniel's jaw hung. "So...so... what... I..." he sputtered. "Sam is my wife!"

"Yeah I know. So what?"

"So what?! Janet what do you think your doing? Sam'll kill me! I would never...!"

JANET laughed. "Now this is a routine we haven't tried yet." Approaching him Daniel could see the lust in her eyes.

"Stay away from me Janet. I swear... stay away from me or I'll tell the General."

Taking advantage of her confusion Daniel grabbed his shirt and jacket and ran from the infirmary. Not sure where to go Daniel decided to look for Sam. He was still concerned about her reaction earlier and he wanted to make sure she was okay. Searching her lab first he was heading toward the commissary when he heard her voice from the de-briefing room. Entering he saw her sitting at the table with JACK, TEAL'C and the GENERAL.

"Dr. Jackson, please... have a seat."

Daniel sat down next to SAM and, glancing her over to make sure she was okay he faced the GENERAL. "Yes?"

"We have been conferring on some possibilities as to why the gate shut down after you went through. We'd like to hear your version of what happened."

"Well I went through the gate and emerged on PV-952. The gate shut down behind me so I knew something had happened. I didn't bother to look around. I just dialed home and came back."

"Was there anything strange about the actual trip through the gate?" JACK asked.

'The only strange thing is that YOU would ask a question like that!'

"Actually there was. It was a heck of a lot longer. I know this was a farther planet but it seemed to take forever to get there."

HAMMOND nodded. "All right. People let's send a probe back through and we'll try to figure this out. Have an IMP ready to go in one half an hour."

"Uh... excuse me. I know I'm not up to date on all the military lingo. What's an IMP?" Daniel asked.

Every one looked at him oddly. It was JACK who finally answered him. "Interplanetary Military Probe. IMP. SAM here designed it." he said, almost as if asking why he had even asked the question.

"You mean MALP?"

"No, I mean IMP. What's going on here, Jackson?"

Daniel shot him a strange look.'Jackson?'"I'm not sure JACK. Things just seem..."

"Alert! Offworld activation! Prepare defenses!"

"Alert! Offworld activation! Prepare defenses!"

The room came alive as HAMMOND, JACK and TEAL'C raced to the control room. SAM and Daniel raced after them but Daniel held Sam back for a minute.

"SAM what's going on here? Why are you being so quiet? What's wrong?"

Daniel placed his hands on her shoulder preventing her from turning away. She winced and slouched a little under the pressure. Seeing her wince Daniel moved her collar aside and saw a deep blue/black bruise formed on her collarbone.

"My god! Sam! How did this happen?"

SAM looked down at the floor unwilling to look him in the eyes.

"Sam! Tell me who did this to you!" Daniel pleaded.

"Major! Get in here!"

Slipping from his grasp SAM entered the control room to see SG-2 coming down the ramp. Daniel stood behind her staring at her collarbone, the bruise still vivid in his mind. It took a moment for the people down below him to filter into his mind. One in particular made Daniel re-asses where he was.

"KAWALSKI!" he yelled.

Standing on the ramp, unloading his gear, was Major CHARLES KAWALSKI... alive and well. He looked up to see Daniel and the rest of SG-1 standing in the control room. With a sharp salute he continued with his work, oblivious to Daniel's distress.

"Where the hell am I?"

"So what you're telling us is that you're from an alternate reality?"

"Yes." Daniel said nodding his head. "I've been through this before. There's a thing called a quantum mirror. It allows you to travel from one reality to another. See... realities branch out like forks in a road. Every decision we make crates two different paths. Yes verses no. High verses low. Backwards verses forwards. Up or down. Each reality is different. Sometimes it's only minute differences other times it's big ones."

"Like what?" KAWALSKI asked.

"Well for starters... your dead. You were infected by a Goa-uld and died. We use a MALP whereas you use the IMP. Things like that." Daniel explained. Turning to SAM he asked a question he wasn't sure he wanted the answer to. "I know we're married. Are we...? I mean, am I...? Jesus... how the hell do I say this?" Daniel paused running his hands through his hair. "Do I... does he... hurt... you?"

SAM stared at him for a moment before silently nodding her head.

Daniel jumped from his chair and began pacing the floor. "Jezuz Christ!" he repeated over and over trying to accept the knowledge that he could ever, in any reality, hurt SAM.

JACK watched as Daniel paced the floor. He was now convinced that this alternate thingy was real. No one could fake the distress on his face when SAM answered his question. But there was a question he needed to know the answer to.

"Do you... in your reality...?"

Daniel stopped short. "NEVER!" he yelled. Calming down he spoke. "I would never hurt Sam. I love her. We just got back from our honeymoon before we were sent on this mission."

Sinking back down into his chair Daniel put his head in his hands. "I'm so sorry." he said. Looking up at SAM he had tears in his eyes. "I'm so sorry."

SAM stared back at this man. He was so like her husband when they had first met. He was caring, kind, concerned- he was everything her Daniel wasn't. This was the Daniel she had married. It was from his eyes that she found the courage to speak.

"You're not him. I know that. Your Sam is a very lucky woman."

Daniel smiled. "I hope she thinks so. I know I'm lucky to have her in my..." he stopped as a gut wrenching thought hit him. "Oh my god! He's with my Sam!"

***

"Offworld Activation!" the tech yelled as soon as the signal came through.

"Code?"

"It's SG-1 sir."

"Thank God!" Sam whispered as a little tension left he body. "He's okay."

"There see! And you were so worried." Jack teased.

Truth be told he was just as concerned as she was. Seeing him step through the event horizon brought a smile to Jack's face.

"Hey there Danny. Decide the missions just ain't fun without us, eh?!" Jack teased.

Not bothering to reply he simply looked up into the control room. "What happened?" he demanded.

"We're not sure yet. Get checked out in the infirmary and we'll de-brief in an hour." Hammond told him.

A small smile came to his lips as he listened to the General. "The infirmary..." Yanking the pack from his shoulders DANIEL dropped it in Sam's arms and strode out of the gate room not missing the look Sam and Jack shared.

Making his way to the infirmary DANIEL plopped himself onto a gurney and stripped his shirt to reveal his bare chest. He watched as Janet made her way over to him with her clipboard.

"Well, well, well. Look who's ended up in my care...yet again." she said, with a smile, placing her clipboard on the table. "If I didn't know better I'd say you actually liked it here."

"I can think of something better to do with my time." DANIEL replied his eyes raking her over.

Janet laughed. "I know. Don't worry. You'll be outta here in no time! You were hardly gone. What could have happened in such a brief time anyway?"

Her eyes were drawn to a scar that ran from his shoulder to his heart in a jagged line. "Daniel where on earth did you get that from?"

"You of course."

"My stitching is not that bad. I don't remember a wound like that."

"No wound. It's your mark."

Janet looked at him quizzically. She'd never seen that type of look on DANIEL's face before. It didn't belong. "My mark?"

Instead of responding DANIEL stepped down from the gurney and stood in front of Janet, his face mere inches from hers. She could feel his hot breath in her face. Before she could back away he caught her in his arms and forced his lips upon hers, almost primal in their greed. Forcing her way out of his grip Janet stepped back a few paces from him.

"What are you doing?" Janet looked at him confused.

"What we always do. My 'medical'."

"THAT is not a medical!" she said pointing to where she had been. "What's going on here Daniel?"

"You tell me!"

"You're married Daniel! I was there! As the maid of honor!"

"So."

Janet's jaw hung. "So...so... what... I..." she sputtered. "Sam is your wife!"

"Yeah I know. So what?"

"So what?! Daniel what do you think your doing? Sam'll kill me! I would never...!"

DANIEL l laughed. "Now this is a routine we haven't tried yet." Approaching her Janet could see the lust in his eyes.

"Stay away from me Daniel. I swear... stay away from me or I'll tell the General."

Taking advantage of his confusion Janet threw him his shirt and walked out of the infirmary. Not knowing where to go she went to find Sam. She entered her lab and found Sam staring off into space. Unsure what to do she sat on the desk next to the computer.

"Sam...?"

"Have you noticed something strange with Daniel?"

"Strange...!" Janet squeaked. Clearing her throat she continued. "How so?"

Sam shook herself out of her stupor and looked at Janet. "I don't know exactly. Distant. Evasive. I was thinking maybe something would show up in his medical."

"You don't know the half of it!" Janet muttered to herself.

"What?"

"No... nothing came up. General want to debrief soon. We'd better get going."

"Yeah." Sam said her thoughts still tied up with Daniel's behavior. "Let's get going."

"Not just yet." Both women looked up to see DANIEL standing in the doorway. "I want to speak with you." he said looking at Sam, his tone leaving no room for an argument.

With a glance to Sam Janet scurried out of the lab and headed toward the debriefing room. Sam watched from her seat as DANIEL slowly made his way over to her. The look in his eyes was one Sam had never seen in all the years she'd known him. It was hate. He stopped less than a foot in front of her.

"Honey...?" Sam asked when he didn't say anything.

"Did you screw'im?"

Sam stared at her husband. "What?! Daniel what are you talking about?!"

"You and Jack. I saw you looking at each other. You did didn't you?!"

"Daniel!" Sam cried in disbelief. "You know I would never...!"

Sam didn't get a chance to finish her statement before she was knocked from her stool by DANIEL's fist. Her head hit the floor and Sam yelped in pain. Before she could react DANIEL grabbed her arms and pulled her to her feet, his face only centimeters from her own.

"If I find out that you did... I'll make your life hell!" Letting go he watched her face to make sure the message had gotten through. "Now go get cleaned up. You look like shit."

Her mind reeling Sam leaned against the counter, her head spinning, and watched DANIEL leave.'What is going on here?'she thought to herself. Glancing in the mirror she saw that the punch had left a red mark on her jawbone and hitting the floor had cut her forehead. Brushing her hair to cover it Sam tried to figure out how to cover the jawbone while she walked to the debriefing. Entering the room she was able to slip into her seat unnoticed. Janet, sitting across from her, eye's widened as she noticed the bruise on Sam's jaw. Sam shook her head and pleaded with her eyes to keep quiet.

"Major?"

"Yes General?"

"You ready to join us now?"

"Yes'sir."

Nodding to her he looked to the technician to begin. As he began to speak Sam found her thoughts turning inward trying to figure out why DANIEL had hit her. He hit her. DANIEL, her loving, kind, sweet, husband had HIT her!!

"MAJOR!"

Sam jerked her head up and immediately regretted it as spots swam before her eyes. Closing them she put her hand to her head to steady it.

"Sam?" Janet asked, instantly by her side. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just a headache. I'll be fine." She said softly.

Janet brushed Sam's hair back out of friendly concern and discovered a nasty cut just below her hairline.

"No." Sam said, knowing the words on Janet's tongue.

"Sam you have to say something."

"Doc? What's going on here?"

"Sam slipped on a puddle of water in her lab." DANIEL answered.

Janet ignored them staring at Sam. "Don't do this Sam. Tell them what happened."

"No. Lem'me talk to him. I'm sure it was a mistake."

"Damn right it was a mistake." Janet said, referring to her silence earlier. "I'm sorry Sam. I have to do this."

Straightening Janet looked at Sam once more before slipping into professional mode. "General I need to report a sexual harassment charge."

Hammond's surprise was limitless as he took in her words. "Against who, Doctor Frasier?"

Janet paused to look at Jack trying to make him understand. "Daniel Jackson, Sir."

"WHAT!?" the three men yelled at the same time.

Sam stared at Janet, tears forming in her eyes. Standing she looked at DANIEL, fuming as he stood next to the window. Without a word she turned to leave the room when he grabbed her arm, gripping it like a vise.

"Tell them that's not true." he said menacingly.

Sam stared at him as if she didn't comprehend what he was saying. She took her free hand and removed him had from her already bruised elbow. Still staring him in the eyes Sam spoke.

"General... I too need to report a case of abuse from Daniel Jackson."

As she finished her sentence the klaxons activated and DANIEL grabbed Sam by the throat. Tossing her up to the wall he held a gun to her head as she hung a foot off the floor.

"Come near me and I'll kill'er! Don't think I won't!" he yelled.

Below them, oblivious to the trouble, the tech in the control room received a signal from SG-1. Not wanting to take any chances he opened the iris and watched as Daniel and SAM emerged. Surveying the gate room Daniel saw Sams back up against the glass and a gun to her head.

"NO!!" he yelled.

Running through the halls Daniel made his way to the de-briefing room. Not slowing down he slammed into DANIEL, tackling him to the ground. Within seconds Jack and Teal's each held a Daniel Jackson by his arms. One was struggling while the other stood still.

"Okay people! Dr. Jackson what is going on here?"

"It's an alternate reality General. I belong here with my Sam... Sam! Where is she?!" Straining against Jacks arms Daniel struggled to see his wife. "Sam! Answer me Sam! What did you do to her!?"

"What are you talking about?"

Sam stood up with the help of SAM and Janet. Daniel saw her bruised arm and neck as well as the gash on her head. Tears came to his eyes.

"Oh God Sam!" he whispered.

Jack smiled. "Yep! This one's ours!"

Releasing Daniel, Jack watched as he ran to Sam stopping just short when he saw her flinch.

"Sam... it's me."

Sam looked at him closely, seeing the love and fear in his teary eyes. "Daniel!" she breathed. Throwing her arms around him Sam hung on tight, relishing the knowledge that he wasn't the one to do all the things that had been done.

"Would someone please explain this?" Hammond interjected.

"I can."

Every one looked to SAM who was standing in the corner.

"I'm the SAM from my reality. DANIEL has been my husband for almost two years now. He has been having an affair with JANET, my JANET, for almost a year. For about the same amount of time he has been... abusive." She said, her voice small in the silent room. She looked at Sam. "I'm sorry he hurt you. I promise you it's going to stop. I am a Major in the USAF. I can kill a man three different ways in under a minute. But I let him hurt me because I thought we were in love. It will stop now." Turning she faced DANIEL. "You are coming home where you will face charges and be jailed for a very, VERY long time. You will sign the divorce papers and you will stay the hell away from me. I'm through being your punching bag. Daniel has shown me that I can be so much more... HAVE so much more." SAM pulled a zat gun from her belt and pointed it at DANIEL. "I'll have no qualms about shooting you once. Don't make me shoot twice." she said with steel in her voice. "'Cuff him please Teal'c. We'll be on our way home. Sam... I am sorry. Daniel..." SAM kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

SAM, DANIEL, and Teal'c left the room to dial out. Daniel took Sam in his arms.

"Sam..."

"It's okay, Danny. I'll be okay."

"No. Sam it's not okay. I would never... NEVER... hurt you! I love you with all my heart!"

"I love you too, Daniel. With all my heart and soul."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S