Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Three Faces of Samantha Carter, The

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Three Faces of Samantha Carter

The Three Faces of Samantha Carter

by Lady S

Title: The Three Faces of Samantha Carter
Author: Lady S
Email: selizaw@juno.com
Status: Complete
Category: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: Unknown
Season/Sequel info: Unknown
Rating: PG-13
Content Warnings: Language, m/f
Summary: Sam comes through the gate again, and again, and yet again.
Disclaimer: Don't own anything. Wouldn't mind if I did... but I don't.
Author's Notes: Ever stop to wonder how many faces you have? PLEASE!!!!! FEEDBACK!!!!!

Sam watched with growing alarm.

"Uh... sir! I suggest we take our leave." She said, tugging his sleeve to make him look.

"What is it Car... oh shit!!" Jack said as he turned to where she was looking.

There on the ridge was a group of about a hundred warriors, all looking rather mean.

"Danny... what say we pack up and move out."

"But Jack we still have...oh." Hurriedly Daniel packed up his equipment and few artifacts he had found.

"Carter dial us out."

Sam made her way to the DHD and began the dialing process. Seeing the gate move spurred the warriors into action. Yelling and screaming they ran toward SG-1.

"Let's move now people!" Jack yelled.

"Sending the signal now Sir!"

Daniel jumped through, Teal'c right behind him. Jack stepped up to the gate and looked to see Sam struggling with her pack.

"Now Carter! Move it!"

"Coming, Sir!"

Jack saw that she was moving toward the gate and stepped through it. Just as Sam reached the gate she felt a prick on the back of her neck. Ignoring it for now she stepped through.

"Incoming Travelers!"

"Who is it?"

"SG-1's signal sir!"

'Damn! They're early!' "Call for a medic team and open the iris!"

Quickly Hammond descended the steps from the control room to the gate room. He arrived in time to see the brilliant opening that he never tired of seeing. Within seconds Daniel came through struggling with his load. Teal'c a moment later and after him Jack.

"Where's Carter?" Hammond asked.

"Right behind me." Jack replied.

As though on cue Captain Carter stepped through the gate, decked out in full combat gear.

'Did she go through like that?' Hammond asked himself.

Standing at the top of the ramp she snapped off a salute before continuing down to the floor. As Hammond opened his mouth to ask what happened another person emerged from the gate.

"Captain Carter...?"

"Yes Sir!"

General Hammond looked from one woman to the other. They were identical except for their clothes. The first wore army fatigues and full gear, the second donned a lab coat with black pants and a white shirt.

"Captain Carter what is going on here?" he said addressing the woman standing next to the gate.

"I'm not Captain Carter... she is," she replied in a bored tone, as if to imply that he should have already guessed the answer.

Jack looked from one to the other. "Carter?"

"Yes?" they both replied as one.

"What in the hell is going on here?"

As the second Sam Carter opened her mouth to explain another Sam Carter came through the gate. She stood on the top of the ramp looking out over the room, smiling, her eyes bright.

"Ahh... it's good to be home!" she said. Looking at those standing before her she called out, "Hi guys!"

Hammond watched this one as she approached the other two. The third Sam Carter was wearing a dress, long and flowing, with a flower behind her ear.

As she approached the other two she called out a greeting. "Howdy!"

The first nodded stiffly and the second looked away bored. Shrugging the third one approached Daniel, Teal'c, and Jack- all three of them very confused.

Janet came racing into the room and stopped short at the sight before her. "Holy Sam!"

Everyone sat in the conference room- Hammond, Janet, and all...ummm... six members of SG-1.

"Okay then... who wants to start? Doctor?"

"Well as far as I can tell they are all Sam Carter. Each one, for all intents and purposes, IS Sam Carter."

"Not quite, Doctor." Sam the Second said. "We are not all a full Sam Carter."

"What do you mean Sam?" Daniel asked.

"I am Dr. Carter." She replied.

"You'll have to excuse Dr. Carter Danny, she can get a bit egotistical. What she means is that Captain Dr. Samantha Carter has been split into her main three attributes. There's the soldier...Captain Carter. Then there's the scientist...Dr. Carter. And then there's me."

"And what are you?"

"I'm the woman... Samantha Carter," she smiled at him. "I don't get out much."

"So we've got what... the brain, the braun, and the beauty?" Jack asked.

"Basically." Dr. Carter replied. "I believe it has something to do with the prick we felt on the neck just before we came through the gate. I'd like to do a toxicology analysis on our blood to find out what it was that they used. Maybe from there I can figure out an antidote."

"All right. Now I'm going to have to ask that all three of you don't leave the base."

"That's not a problem George..."

"Samantha! You will address him as 'General'!" Captain Carter reprimanded Samantha.

Bowing her head in acquiesce Samantha restated her thought. "General... it won't be a problem for us to stay here on the base. Thank you."

Nodding, he tried to contain a smile while Samantha argued with Captain Carter and Dr. Carter, herself. Oh this was gonna be a fun report to write!

Dr. Carter excused herself to begin her test leaving Samantha and the Captain with SG-1, and Janet.

"So what are we supposed to do now?" Samantha asked.

"Your duties." Captain Carter replied to her.

"I don't have any duties. Maybe I'll go for a walk. Jack would you care to join me?"

"He is the Colonel!" Captain Carter hissed.

"To YOU!" Samantha said back. "To me... he's Jack!"

"Umm...no. I'm sorry Car...Samantha. I have to fill out the report on this mission."

"Oh no problem! I'll just take it on my own!"

"I'll come with you Sam!" Daniel said, standing.

"Okay! Come on Daniel."

Samantha left on Daniels arm. Captain Carter stood, snapped a salute to the Colonel, and left to do her duties. Jack looked at Janet.

"This is VERY weird!"

"Tell me about it!"

"I do not understand your confusion, O'Neill." Teal'c said. "Captain Carter is simply presenting herself as three individuals instead of one person."

"Well I've never seen her as three different people before."

"Actually if you think about it Colonel we are seeing Sam as she sees herself. Now we can see how Sam the soldier reacts to Sam the woman or Sam the scientist. It's kind of fascinating!"

"Uhm...okay."

Janet laughed. "Just try to keep them straight!"

"Right!"

"Do you prefer Sam or Samantha?" Daniel asked.

"Either's fine Danny! How about you? Daniel or Danny?"

"It depends on who's saying it. Like with you or Jack either one is fine. But some people manage to turn it into an insult."

"I know what you mean."

"Sam... what did you mean, back in the de-briefing room, when you said that you 'don't get out much'?"

"Well usually Captain Carter or Dr. Carter do most of the talking. I have some influence but I tend to be a silent partner. More like an intermediary for them. I help solve their fights."

They walked in silence for a few moments before Daniel had the courage to ask his question. "Is it you that's in love with Jack?"

Sam stopped short. "How did you know? Captain Carter always kept such a tight lid on it!"

"You're stronger than you think Sam. You do have quite an influence on both Captain and Dr. Carter."

"Danny can I ask you a question?"

"Sure... shoot!"

"Does he feel the same way?"

Daniel smiled. "He never really admits anything but... yeah I think he does. I think he has the same problem you have with Captain Carter. Colonel O'Neill won't let Jack out to play."

Sam laughed. "I'm so glad you understand! Back there in the meeting it felt like no one was understanding me!"

"Don't give up on him Sam! He's starting to come around."

"I hope so!"

"Any luck yet Doc?" Sam asked Dr. Carter as she entered the lab.

"Not as of yet, but I'm getting closer. I have to narrow down the alien particles from our..."

"Okay hold it! More than I wanted! First sentence was enough! Really!"

Doc glared at Sam. "If you don't want the info then why'd you ask?"

"Umm... dunno. To be polite?"

"What's your progress Doctor?" Captain Carter asked as she came through the door.

"There won't be any if you don't leave me alone and let me work!"

"That tone is not necessary Dr. Carter!"

Samantha watched as Doc Carter and Cap Carter argued. Shaking her head Sam walked out of the labs. Rounding the corner Sam slammed into someone. They collapsed to the floor, a mass of entangled limbs.

"Oh! Sorry Jack!" she said, seeing his face mere inches above hers, close enough to feel his breath on her face.

"Sorry Carter."

Laughing they sat apart, each one standing on their own.

"It's Sam, Jack... just call me Sam."

"Sam." He said, testing it in his mouth. Very rarely did he ever say her name, although he thought it quite a bit. Wanting to make up for his refusal earlier he spoke. "Feel like a cup of coffee?"

"Sure."

On their route to the commissary they passed but the labs. Inside Doc and Cap were still arguing with each other.

"Is it always like that?" he asked as they were seated in a corner table.

Sam nodded, blowing on her coffee. "For the most part. I tell ya those two can give a migraine to the headless horseman."

Jack laughed after his initial shock passed at her comment.

Sam smiled. "I'm sorry this is hard for you Jack."

Jack looked at her. "You don't have to apologize Sam. You didn't cause it. It was just really weird at first. I didn't quite know what to make of it."

"And now?"

"Now... I think I've got it straight. The three faces of Sam Carter."

"Brain, braun, and beauty." Sam said, repeating him from earlier.

"Yeah. It's nice to get to know all of them."

Jack stared at Sam over his mug rim. Sam the Braun was one he saw regularly, as was Sam the Brain. But Sam the Beauty was a side that he rarely saw. Pushing aside his reservations Jack sought to get to know her better.

Daniel walked in for some coffee and saw them huddled together at a corner table.

"Things keep going at this rate and Makepeace's gonna owe me a mint!" he muttered to himself.

"All right people let's settle down! Dr. Carter... what's the good news?" Hammond asked after he had gotten their attention.

"None I'm afraid. I've run almost every plausible theory and so far nothing has been able to successfully rejoin the three of us."

"Damn!" Captain Carter whispered.

Sam shot her a lethal look to watch her mouth. "Doc... is it possible that going back through the gate would be of use?"

Dr. Carter looked at Sam. "You think I haven't thought of that yet? Jeez Sam I'm the brain remember... you just sit there and look pretty. That's your job!"

Sam cast her eyes down and concentrated at the table. "I was just wondering..."

"Well don't!"

"Sorry..." Sam whispered.

"Sorry won't cut it Sam! I can't keep bailing you out every time you or the Cap here decides to run off and get into trouble! Maybe if the Cap had gotten her ass in gear we wouldn't be in this predicament!"

"I was doing my job Doctor! Covering my team! That's what I do! It's not my problem if the little miss here can't get a damn gear pack onto her shoulders!"

"You are the one who's supposed to be wearing the gear CAP!"

"I WAS BUSY!!"

"Like hell! You were so busy trying to play Rambo that you forgot about us! Just like always!"

"I was saving our ASS!"

"STOP IT!! Just shut up, both of you!!" Sam yelled, coming to her feet, fists pounding on the table. "Arguing won't get us anywhere!! Now sit back and think!! Doc... if you can't think of an answer then who could?"

Dr. Carter thought for a moment. "The To'kra. They may have come across this before."

"All right then! We contact Dad and see if he or Selmak knows anything! Until then none of us leave this base and we make sure that we check in with Janet every few hours! Agreed?!"

Dr. Carter and Captain Carter both nodded their agreement, each one keeping their eyes averted from the other.

"Dismissed!" Sam told them. Both of the woman jumped from their seats and left the room, Captain Carter throwing a salute to the General before leaving.

Sam slunk back into her chair, her head in her hands. The five members of SGC stared silently at the woman sitting before them. Never had they seen, or even dreamed that they would see, a display like that one. All three Carter's, arguing and fighting with the each other.

"I'm sorry." Sam said to them. "Our fights usually aren't that public."

Rubbing her temples Sam tried to get her temper back under control.

"Sam? What's wrong?" Janet asked, concern weighing heavily in her voice.

"My head hurts."

"Come with me to the infirmary. I'll get you something and you can get some rest while we wait for your father."

Sam nodded and left with Janet.

"Dr. Jackson... you'd better send the signal to the To'kra. I don't think we have much more time."

Daniel left the room with Teal'c, leaving the Colonel and the General.

"Wow...!" Jack said to the air.

"Couldn't have said it better myself son."

"Jacob! Good to see you!"

Jacob Carter shook his friend's hand. "George! Good to see you again!"

"I take it this isn't a social call?"

"'Fraid not. Something's happened to your daughter."

Jacob's color paled.

//Hear them out first Jacob. Don't assume the worst!//

Jacob nodded mentally.

"Where is she?"

"Sam's in the infirmary."

Jacob stalked out the door and headed toward the infirmary. Pushing his way into the room he saw his daughter lying on a gurney, pale, sweaty, and shaking.

"Oh Sam!" he cried. "What's wrong with her?" he asked taking her hand in his.

"I can answer that one Dad."

Jacob looked up at the sound of his daughters' voice. There in the doorway, stood Dr. Carter.

"What the hell?" he said, looking from Sam to Dr. Carter. "What's going on here?"

"It's okay Dad. Doc can explain it." Captain Carter said as she joined herself in the doorway.

"Sam?"

"Dad?" Sam whispered painfully from the bed.

"Sam?"

"Hi Dad. ...'glad... here."

"Someone... please..." Jacob said, trying to understand why he was seeing triple.

Dr. Carter and Captain Carter walked in until they were standing next to the gurney. Dr. Carter explained as best as she knew how.

"Dad we were on XJ837 when the natives came at us. Just before we stepped through the gate we felt a prick on our neck. When we got to this side of the gate we were each on our own. The three faces of Dr. Captain Samantha Carter. But now we can't seem to get ourselves back together again. We were hoping you could help us out."

Jacob nodded, understanding at last. "We need to get back to that planet. The chief there can help us. But we have to hurry."

Teal'c picked up Sam and they went to the gate room. Crossing the event horizon they found themselves face to face with the warriors that had chased them out. The entourage was led to the village where they were sent before the chief. As the round man entered the room he saw Jacob and smiles lit his face.

"Jacob! Selmak! You honor us with your presence!"

"Trowjonta! We are glad to be returned to your planet but we come in need of help. My daughter has been split in three. Can you help her to become one again?" Jacob said, patting the arm of the chief.

"Yes of course! Bring her... we shall begin at once!"

Trowjonta led them into a room, the walls carved with images of twins and triplets all joined at the hip or head.

"Lay the sick one here. The two strong ones must stay with her. You must all be of one mind, one heart, and one soul. If not it will not work. Come... we must leave."

Trowjonta led the men and Janet out of the room and shut the door.

Two Carter's looked at the third. "Sam..." they said at the same time. "We're sorry. It's our fault that this happened. We should have taken care of you."

Slowly Sam opened her eyes. "No... I need... do more...for... you."

"No Sam," Dr. Carter said. "You're the one who brings us together. You're the glue that holds us as one. Look at what happened without you to keep us peaceful."

"Sam," Captain Carter began. "We know that you don't get out much so Doc and I thought we'd do something for you. You've been wanting it for so long and we've both been standing in your way. Well... me more than the Doc here. But that's all gonna change. As soon as we're one again we won't stop you anymore. Go for it Sam!"

Sam smiled at herselves. Struggling to sit up she hugged them close.

"Look!" Daniel said pointing toward the door they had left a few minutes ago.

A bright light was emanating from the crack between the floor and the door. It left and the door opened. There stood Dr. Captain Samantha Carter, wearing a long flowing dress and a flower behind her ear. She walked out to join the group, smiling at them.

"Carter?" Jack asked, unsure of which one he was speaking to.

"All Carter's present and accounted for Sir!"

Jack O'Neill was sitting at his desk finishing up a report when the knock rang out on his door.

"Enter."

"Hi Jack." Daniel said as he stepped into the office.

"Hey... what'd'ya need?"

"Nothing. Just thought I'd stop by and say hi."

Jack eyed him warily. "Not buyin' it Danny. What's up?"

"All right. I guess you were bound to find out sooner or later anyway."

"Find what out?"

"Didn't Sam tell you? Heh, I guess she didn't have the chance." Sitting opposite from Jack he waited for the man to look him in the eyes. "She likes you Jack."

"Who?"

"Who?! Who'd'ya think Jack!! Sam!!"

"I think you've got gate-lag Space-Monkey! Carter couldn't possibly be interested in me."

"You're right. Carter isn't... but Sam is."

Jack looked Daniel over, long and hard, to find the hidden punch line. He didn't see one. Jumping from his seat he grabbed his jacket and ran for the door. Daniel slowly got up and, exiting the office, walked around the corner. Holding his hand out he watched as Makepeace slapped ten twenty-dollar bills into his waiting hands. Smiling he left to tell Janet the good news. Tonight... dinner was on him!!

Sam was putting some flowers in her vase when there was a knock on her door. Taking the project with her Sam opened the door.

"Well... looks like someone beat me to it," he said.

There, on her front porch, stood Colonel Jack O'Neill, a bouquet of wild flowers in his hands.

"The more the merry," she told him, smiling and inviting him in.

Jack entered the cheery kitchen and looked around. "Doing a little redecorating?"

"Yeah... it was too Spartan for my taste." She said as she added his flowers to the others.

"So what brings you by Colonel?"

Jack smiled. "Actually the Colonel isn't here."

Sam stopped mid-stride and looked at him, here eyes full of questions.

"If the Colonel's not here, then where is he?"

"He's at the base filling out reports. He'll be there for a while."

Jack approached her and took the vase from her hands. Setting it on a table he took her hands in his own.

"Jack, on the other hand,... was wondering if Sam could come out and play today."

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S