Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

I Can Hear You. .

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I Can Hear You...

I Can Hear You...

by Lady S

Title:I Can Hear You...
Author:Lady S
Email:selizaw@juno.com
Status: Complete
Category:Sam/Jack
Spoilers:Star Trek The Next Generation
Season/Sequel info:None
Rating:PG-13
Content Warnings:Language
Summary:Sam gets a gift that she isn't quite ready for.
Disclaimer:Don't own them. Wish I did... but I don't.
Author's Notes:I'm not sure yet if there'll be a sequel to this or net. Let me know what you think. Please feed me!! I live on feedback!!

"All right kids, let's roll."

Sam took point and stepped through the event horizon. Even now she still gets a thrill from going through. As she stepped out on the other side Sam saw that MALP was correct, a very swampy planet. 'Ugh! Complete with bugs galore! Yech!' She scanned the area around her to make sure it was okay as she stepped aside to allow the rest of the team through. Teal'c came through next and Daniel was behind him. Then, bringing up the rear, 'And ever so cute a rear he has' was the Colonel. 'Snap out of it Sam! He's your CO!'

"Lovely! Trees!"

'Why do I always smile or him? He can be so annoying at times and yet I always smile for him!'

"Okay let's take a walk... or should I say wade?"

'Again... he gets a smile. I am such a sucker!!' They take off, trudging through the swamp. After three hours they haven't really come across anything of importance. They haven't even hit a patch of dry land big enough to stand on!

"All right... there's nothing here. Agreed?"

"Yeah... I doubt we'll find anything." Daniel agrees with him while Teal'c and Sam nod their heads.

They turn around to head back when she feels a sting on her neck. Slapping her hand to it Sam pulls it back to see a crushed...something. Sam can't really tell what it looks like. 'Ah well, just a bug.' Before she can take two steps her head feels like its on fire.

"Sir... I can't..."

Unable to stand Sam feels the water hit her face as she blacks out into the oblivion.

Sam's head didn't feel like it's on fire anymore but she still felt very weak. Listening to what's around her she can hear the steady beep of the heart monitor and conversation of two people. 'I'm in the infirmary... and someone is holding my hand. It's the Colonel.' She knows it even before Sam opens her eyes.

"Sir...?"

"Carter!" he says, obviously very happy that she's awake. "You're okay," he tells her before calling for Janet.

Janet comes over and touches Sam's cheek. "You gave us quite a scare there Sam. Do you remember what happened?"

"We were on P18XJ3. It was a swamp. Something bit me. That's all I know." Looking at the faces around her Sam can see the worry lines etched into each and every one of them. "What happened?"

"You collapsed into the water. You almost drowned and then we couldn't get you to wake up. You've been here in the infirmary for about three days now." Daniel says.

"Do you remember what bit you?" Janet asks her.

"No. When it bit me I slapped it. All I can tell you is that it was green and purple and had blue guts."

< Damn! >

"Sorry Janet."

"'S'okay Sam. I'm just glad your okay. I want to keep any eye on you just in case anything else happens."

Sam swung her legs over the side of the bed and realized that under the blanket she had nothing on. Thankfully she had brought the blanket up with her but her backside...

< Woah! >

Quickly Sam pulled part of the blanket behind her. She couldn't help but flush at what had just happened.

"All right! My patient needs to get dressed in private. Every one out!"

Janet winked at her as she pulled the curtain around the bed. She knows what happened and boy would Sam hear about it later! As she was getting dressed Sam could hear Janet talking to herself. Drawing the curtain back she approached her desk.

"General wants you to report to his office for a de-briefing."

"Thanks Janet."

As Sam left she could still hear Janet talking to herself.

Sam, along with her team, were seated in the Generals office. A very informal de-briefing. Daniel was sprawled out on the couch next to Jack, who was the same way, and Teal'c was in the chair opposite her.

"I pretty much told you all I know about what happened sir. Other than that all was normal. It was a swampy planet no real dry land anywhere."

The general nodded his head. < Nothing of value to it then. >

"No sir, nothing of any real value."

The General looked up at me, confusion in his eyes. < How did...>

"I heard you say it so I confirmed it."

"Captain I didn't say anything."

"Sir I heard you... you said 'nothing of value to it then'. Isn't that what you said?"

"Captain I thought it, yes, but I never said it."

"What the hell...?"

< What's going on here? >

"I don't know."

"Don't know what Sam?" Daniel asked Sam.

"I'm not sure what's going on here. I hear you say something but you never said it."

< How is that possible? >

"I don't know General. It must have something to do with the bug bite."

< Maybe you're going nuts! >

"Colonel! I am not going nuts!"

"Carter I didn't say anything."

Sam looked at each of their faces and could hear what they were thinking as if they were saying it right to her.

"Daniel you just thought 'That is so weird!' General you just keep repeating 'How in the hell...' and Colonel you still think I'm going nuts! Teal'c... well you I can't hear. I wonder why?"

< Probably his symbiont. >

"Yeah your probably right Daniel. The symbiont won't let me hear his thoughts."

Daniel looked at her his eyes wide. < She heard me! She can hear me! She's probably listening to me right now! Are you? >

Sam nods at him.

< Wow! This is unbelievably freaky! >

Sam can't help but laugh at his choice of words. "You sound like Cassie." She tells him. He smiles but Jacks thoughts grab my attention.



'THAT came from HIM!!?' Sam stared at him in wonder that he would think something like that. Her staring made him uncomfortable.

< Why is she staring at me? What does she know? Does she know...> Her eyes grow wide at his next couple of thoughts. < Oh shit! She does know!! >

"Captain!!"

Snapping her head back around to face the General she tries to focus on him.

"Have Doctor Frasier look at you. See if she can come up with a diagnosis. SG-1 I'm sending you back to see if you can locate another one of these bugs."

"Sir... I should go with them. I'm the only one who knows roughly what it looks like."

< Oh no! >

"Sir... I'm the ONLY one."

He nods and we leave to get ready. It's so strange to Sam, walking without speaking and yet hearing two different conversations- Daniel and Colonels.

< Sam knows!! Dammit she knows!! How the hell am I supposed to face her now? >

< I wonder what it's like? Hearing everyone's thoughts. It's gotta be neat to say what they're thinking. It'd really freak 'em out! >

< Goddamn that Cap'n Carter is a hottie! >

Sam stared at the airman passing by. 'Gross! How dare he think that way about me!'

"Carter?"

"Sorry sir... just listening to that jerk!"

< What'd he say... think? I'll kill him if he's got wrong thoughts about my Carter!! Damn that's confusing! Of course she's probably got it all figured out. She's a fucking genius!! >

"I am not a genius, Sir."

< Damn she's doing it again. >

"Sorry sir."

"It's okay Carter." < How the hell am I supposed to censor what I'm thinking? >

"You sure do swear a lot."

He looked at her, shocked for a minute, before he started to laugh. Sam was glad to see him laugh. He'd been so serious since the General's office.

< Why is she back? What's wrong? >

"Nothing's wrong Janet. I'm fine. General Hammond wanted you to do some tests. It seems that I can read thoughts."

< What the hell...? >

"What the hell...?"

< Hey!! >

"Hey!!"

< Stop that! >

"Stop that!"

< Sam!! Stop!! >

"Sam!! Stop!! >

< I'll tell Jack!! >

"I'll tell... oh! Okay I'll stop."

< Hah! Serves you right! > Janet laughed.

"All right. Let me run some test. It'll really help though if I had one of the bugs."

"SG-1 is going back to get one for you." < Carter really shouldn't be going! >

"Sir... I'm the only one who knows what it looks like!"

< Dammit Carter! >

"Sorry Sir."

Shaking her head Janet walked away. < Why doesn't she just go for it already? >

"I heard that!"

< Good! >

"Everybody got their bug catchers?"

< Oh for crying out loud Jack! They're nets! Just call them nets! >

Sam laughed. Daniel looked at her sheepishly.

"No inside jokes guys! Let's get searching."

< Trees... why the hell are there always trees? >

"Would you prefer sand?"

Jack cringed. < Carter!! >

< Sorry Sir >

"Sorry Sir!"

< How did I know she'd say that? >

Sam hung her head, wishing she could turn it off, hating that she was making him uncomfortable. For the rest of the journey Sam stayed with Teal'c. It didn't stop her from hearing their thoughts, just from responding to them.

"I got one!" Daniel cried out.

Everyone rushed to his position and Sam saw that he did indeed have one.

"Great! Let's get this baby home!"

Sam trailed behind the group, listening to Jacks thoughts.

< Why is she staying away from me? Gee asshole could it have something to do with what you've been thinking lately? Dammit!! She probably hates me now! Next thing you know she'll be asking for a transfer. Dammit Jack!! How the hell could you be so stupid? Oh sure... now that she knows maybe she'll feel the same way... bullshit O'Neill! She's too god for you! There's the gate! Now we can go home, she'll get fixed and maybe she'll forget all about this!"

"Carter dial us home."

"Yes, Sir." Sam couldn't keep a smile from her face. Now that she knew she wasn't going to waste any time telling him. As soon as they got back to...

< Get ready. Three to the left three to the right. You three with me. >

'What the hell...?' Sam thought. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. It was like it was a different language but she understood them.

"Hit the deck! Get down!" she yelled. No sooner had she spoken than they were fired upon. Taking cover they pulled their weapons to fire back.

"Where are they?" Jack yelled.

Sam closed her eyes trying to focus on their thoughts. Crawling over to Jack she whispered,

"There's ten of them. Three to the left three to the right and four in front."

Jack stared at her. "How the hell do you know that?"

"I can hear them." Sam said tapping her head.

Jack nodded. < Sweet! > Jack motioned for Teal'c to go to the left and Sam to the right. He and Daniel would focus on the front.

Sam waded silently through the water at the right of the gate. She caught a glimpse of the people and cut in behind them. Stunning down one the other two turned and raised their... what looked to be hands. Sam motioned for the other two to carry the third and the headed back to the gate. As they approached it she saw Daniel unconscious on the ground and Teal'c and Jack kneeling in the water.

Sam stood off with the other captors, each one facing the other. She listened to what they were thinking.

< A female! This battle is easily won! >

< Tonara! He is dead! I shall kill that female! >

Sam tried to negotiate before opening fire. Listening carefully to their thoughts she picked up on their language.

"Tonara is not dead. He is only sleeping. Release my men and I will release yours."

The soldiers were shocked that she could speak the tongue of their people. < How does one who circles know our voice? >

"I speak your voice because I hear your thoughts."

< A reader! >

One of them men, he wore a different color than the others, motioned for them to stand down.

"You speak our voice. We shall listen."

Sam nodded. Putting down her weapon she glanced at Teal'c, who was holding Daniel, and Jack.

"You guys okay?"

Both of them nodded.

< Of all the times to be able to read minds! > Jack thought

"Continue Captain. You seem to be doing pretty well here."

Sam nodded. Turning to the alien men she spoke to them in a soothing tone.

"We mean you no harm. We are explorers. My name is Sam."

< Can we trust the female...Sam? >

"You are one who circles... yet you use our voice...why is this?"

"We use the circle to travel to other planets to seek peaceful friends and knowledge. We mean you no harm..."

< And yet you hurt Tonara. >

"...I did not mean to hurt Tonara. He was trying to kill me. He is only sleeping."

"How are you a reader?"

"I was bitten by an insect. This one..." Sam pulled the bug, in its baggie, from her pocket. "No I can hear your thoughts. How does this happen?"

"You were blessed by the gods! Not all who are bitten become readers. Most die."

"Die!? How?"

"They cannot stop reading. They become...crazy. They cannot stop reading and cannot stop hearing. They go mad."

"Thank you. You have helped us greatly. We will go home now and perhaps one day we may be of the same voice again."

"That will be well."

The men trudged off, excited about the ones who circle and are good. Especially the one who speaks their voice.

Sam finished dialing home, while explaining what had been said, and they went through the gate.

"Janet, here's another bug. It's just like the one that bit me."

< Great! Sam looks tired. >

"I'm okay Janet. Really I am. I just need some sleep."

"Why don't you go ahead and get some then. I'll wake you when the tests are complete." < Yeah right... like you're really gonna sleep. You'll probably go hole up in your lab somewhere. >

"Janet I'll go sleep... I promise."

"Promise?"

"I promise!"

"Okay." Janet said as she squeezed Sam's hand.

Sam left the infirmary and was walking down the hallway looking for Jack. She focused on his thoughts and found her way to where he was. Knocking on the door to his office she opened it and stepped in.

< Sam looks dead tired. >

"Why does everyone keep thinking that? I'm just a little beat that's all."

Jack sat at his desk not saying a word. < Sam I know you can hear me so listen very carefully. You are not the type of person who will rest and take it easy, even when you're sick. >

"I'm not sick."

< Oh no? What do you call this? >

"Telepathic. Just call me Deanna Troi."

Jack laughed. < Then I guess that would make me Riker. >

Sam smiled, biting her lip.

"There now was that so difficult?" Jack asked. Getting up from his chair he stood in front of Sam, his hands on her shoulders.

< She bites her lip like Charlie used to. Charlie... >

Sam's mind was flooded with memories and emotions that his name called to Jacks mind. Sam felt the tears coursing down her cheeks at the intensity of his emotions.

"Sam? Sam what's wrong?" Jack asked.

Sam could hear the emotions behind his voice. As much as he tried to hide it... she knew.

"Why?" she asked. "Why do you close off? You have so much love to give."

Jack held her face in his hands, his thumbs wiping away her tears. "I guess it's because... I'm afraid..." < ...that I'll loose you like I did Charlie. >

"You won't loose me Jack. I'm not going anywhere."

Jack looked into Sam's eyes and saw what she was telling him. He didn't have to read minds to know that she loved him. Bending down he kissed Sam, slow at first, each passing second becoming more passionate.

Suddenly, without explanation, Sam ripped herself from Jack and rushed to the door.

< NO!! >

Sam locked the door and shut off the light before going back to him.

< What the...? >

"Jack?" Daniel knocked on the door. "You in there?"

< Go away Daniel. I finally got Sam. >

"You've had me for a long time, Jack."

Sam walked into the busy commissary for her morning cup of coffee before meeting with the General and SG-1. She stood at the counter, unable to stop the flow of thoughts.

< Dammit... this food sucks! >

< Who the hell does her think he is? He can't order me around like that! He's not my superior! >

< Coffee... must have coffee! >

< Where is she? >

< How many more days till vacation? >

< I have three hours to... >

< When is... >

< I have to... >

< How... >

< We'd... >

< What if... >

< Wow! >

< My... >

Sam stood at the counter, her hands shaking, trying to silence the crowds occupying her head. Putting her hands over her ears she sank to her knees.

"STOP IT!! STOP!!"

< What's wrong with her? >

< Isn't that... >

< Woah, what's up... >

< Who's... >

< Wow! >

< What's her prob... >

< Why... >

Jack entered the commissary with Teal'c and Daniel and saw Sam on the floor, rocking. Instantly he was by her side.

"Sam...?"

Sam looked at him and flung her arms around his neck.

"Please... make them stop, Jack. Please... get me out of here!"

Jack picked her up and carried Sam through the commissary. Teal'c opened the door and the four of them went straight to the infirmary. Laying Sam on the gurney he tried to step back to let Janet examine her. Sam refused to let go so he sat on the gurney with her. General Hammond walked in and saw Jack rocking Sam in his arms tying to calm her down. As he got closer he could hear her strained whispered plea's.

"Make 'em stop! Get out of my head! Please... make 'em stop!"

"Doctor?"

Janet turned to the general. "As near as I can tell she's becoming overloaded by every ones thoughts. If we can't find an answer soon she'll go insane."

"Isn't there anything we can do?" Daniel asked.

"There's two things that we can do for her. First... take her to an uninhabited planet. Let her live there until we can find an antidote. At the same time I think we should go back to the planet this bug came from. They might no how to help."

The general looked at Sam, so small and helpless in Jacks arms.

"Okay. Daniel find me an empty planet that's habitable and dial it up. We'll send her through with some supplies. O'Neill, Teal'c, and Daniel I want you to go back to the planet and talk to the natives. See if they can help."

"Sir... with all due respect we can't leave Sam on her own. I want to go with her."

"Doctor?"

"One person should be okay. It'd be like she was having a conversation. I should sedate her though, just to be on the safe side while she's travelling."

Hammond nodded and Janet gave Sam a sedative. Placing her gently on the bed Jack followed the General out the door.

"Son... I don't know how long this'll take."

"As log as it has to Sir. Just find a cure."

Hammond looked at Jack and saw the well-hidden emotions in his eyes. Something had happened between them. 'It's about Damn time!' the General thought to himself before turning away.

"Good luck Jack. Keep her safe."

"Be well O'Neill. We will retrieve you when we have the cure."

Jack nodded to Daniel and Teal'c and stepped through the gate, disappearing.

"Dial up the planet." Hammond ordered.

As the gate again turned blue Daniel and Teal'c waved before stepping through. Reaching the other side they were welcomed by a group of the same men as before. This half of SG-1 was led through the swamp to a small village of huts on poles. Their tour ended in the largest hut. Entering they were motioned to sit on small stools in the center of the room facing a man sitting on a throne like chair at the head of the room. He regarded them for a moment before speaking to Daniel.

"You are here to help your friend. You mean no harm and yet you bring me one whose thoughts I cannot reach. We have found that those ones are the ones who kill."

Daniel opened his mouth to assure them.

"You wish to assure me that he will not harm us. I trust you Daniel Jackson. We shall help you to heal your friend. Call for the readers."

Daniel smiled at the man. "Thank you."

A week had passed since Jack had carried Sam through the gate. When she had awaked Sam had been okay. It was a little strange for Jack, he never really had to speak. But Sam asked him to. She wanted him to volunteer the information instead of her being able to just take it. It had taken a little while but Jack had opened up to Sam in a way he never had before... to any one. He spoke of his childhood, his marriage... Charlie. They laughed together and cried together. Jack had never felt this close to anyone... it scared him. But Sam showed him that it was okay.

They had set down a schedule the first few days. Daily walks, play time, training, and they talked...a lot.

Sam told Jack about her childhood, her engagement to Jonas, her fears and her loves. She told him what it was like having Jolinar and she explained her relationship with Martouf as best she could. Sam told him of her hopes and her dreams. She showed him the side of her that almost no one knew.

They were walking in fading sunset when the gate opened. Sam dropped to her knees, the sudden onslaught of thoughts attacking her mind.

"Sam!!" Jack cried.

Seeing that she had fainted Jack scooped her up in his arms and made his way back to the campsite, about a hundred meters from the gate. In the distance he saw the gate close and Sam seemed to relax in his arms. By the time the visitors were there, she had awoke with a terrible headache.

The party of four men and one woman approached them. Daniel and Janet waved hello while Teal'c simply nodded. The other two Jack didn't recognize.

< It is all right, new reader. We have come to help you. >

Sam looked at the one whose voice had entered her mind. Opening her mouth to speak she was stopped by his thoughts.

< Do not speak. Think your words. >

< Who are you? > Sam thought.



< How will I know when I'm ready? >

< We shall be watching you. When you are ready... we will be waiting. >

The man reached out and, as he touched Sam's forehead, her world went black.

"Sam? Sam open your eyes."

Sam blinked at the sudden brightness overhead. Looking around she saw that she was once again in the infirmary. Jack was at her side, Daniel next to him. On the other side was Janet and Teal'c. General Hammond stood at the foot of the bed.

"How long was I out?"

"Just a few hours." Janet replied. "How do you feel?"

"Fine. I feel fine. My head is my own again."

The all smiled.

"Welcome back Captain Carter."

General Hammond gave her foot a short squeeze before leaving the infirmary. 'That girl is becoming too like my own daughter.' He thought to himself.

Janet kissed Sam's cheek. "If you want to I'll let someone drive you home." 'Two guesses as to who'll volunteer.'

"I'll do it." Jack announced.

Janet smiled and walked into her office.

"Welcome back Sam. I'm glad your okay." Daniel said, kissing her cheek in his ever so sweet brotherly way.

'Hey!' Jack thought to himself, glancing at Sam to double check if she heard.

"I am glad you are well Captain Carter." Teal'c said before he and Daniel went of together, Daniel muttering something about a new movie.

"You wanna go home?"

"Yeah." Sam whispered.

"So how's it feel to have your head to yourself again?" Jack asked as they settled down on her couch.

"Lonely."

Jack looked at her quizzically.

"I kinda got used to always hearing your thoughts. I miss them."

"My thoughts, eh? Who would'a thunk it?"

"You actually threw me a few surprises."

"Like...?"

"Well there's the obvious... I never dreamed that you would feel the same way I do about us. But then there was some really insightful stuff that I never would have thought you'd be thinking. For instance when we were in Hammond's office and we had just found out that I could read minds you thought... 'I think therefore she is'. I was shocked to say the least."

"You heard that? So that's why you were staring at me."

"Yeah."

Sam looked down at Jack whose head was in her lap. Running her fingers through his hair she leaned down and kissed him.

"What'ya say we take this somewhere else?"

"Just make sure you Daniel-proof the doors."

Jack smiled. "You read my mind."

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S