Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Invisible Solutions

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Invisible Solutions

Invisible Solutions

by Lady S

Title:Invisible Solutions
Author:Lady S
Email:selizaw@juno.com
Status: Complete
Category:Sam/Jack ; Angst
Spoilers:Show and Tell
Season/Sequel info:
Rating:PG
Content Warnings:Character death(sort of)
Summary:Sam get shot while off world.
Disclaimer:Standard- someone else owns them- not me.
Author's Notes:Don't hate me! Not until you've read the whole story!! You won't hate me I swear!! Let me know what you think!! I crave feedback but I hate flames!!

"Incoming travelers!!" the technician cried out.

"Who's out right now?"

"Just SG-1 Sir!"

"Dammit!! Signal?"

"SG-1"

"Open the iris and get a medic team here stat!!"

Hammond watched from the control room as SG-1 came through one by one. He hated it when they came back early. It was never good!

Daniel came through first, his head bleeding profusely, his eyes unfocused and tears streaming from them.

Teal'c came through next, backwards, his staff weapon raised. As he turned it was plain to see the wound in his shoulder. More surprising were the tears in his eyes.

Jack was next. He came through diving, rolling, and eventually coming to a stop. He stood and headed down the ramp, limping badly.

Sam...

"Where in the hell is Captain Carter!!"

The three men looked at each other, each of them on the verge, or already there, of tears.

Hammond got his answer from Daniels rambling.

"They got 'er!! Shot 'er!! She's... they... we...!! They got 'er!! Gone!!"

"Colonel explain."

Jack looked at Hammond. The tears in his eyes scaring the General more than anything else.

It was Teal'c who finally spoke.

"Captain Carter is dead."

Never. They NEVER come back early with good news.

"How are they doctor?"

"Physically they'll be fine. Otherwise..." Janet put her head down, scrutinizing the floor.

Hammond put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry Janet."

She nodded. Turning Janet fled for the safety of her office. Hammond went farther into the infirmary. He saw Jack and Teal'c sitting on a gurney next to Daniels. They were silent, no tears, and no words... just silent. So silent that Hammond jumped when Daniel spoke.

"We have to send a signal to the Tok'ra General."

George Hammond nodded. Yes... they had to tell Jacob.

She opened her eyes, her head pounding, and looked around. All around her was a place she knew... and yet... she couldn't quite recall why or how she knew it. Struggling to her feet she looked at the people walking all around her and yet none looked her way. Maybe they could help her.

"Excuse me... can you tell me where I am?" she asked one man as he passed. He didn't even pause in his gait.

'Rude' she thought.

"Hello, can you..." still no one would acknowledge her.

Didn't they know she needed them, their help? Glancing around she saw one of them disappear through an open door and she followed him.

'Some sort of corridor' she thought. 'How do I know this place? How did I get here?'

"Please can you help me?!" she asked as two women passed by.

They ignored her and kept walking toward their destination.

"Why won't anyone answer me?!"

'Because you're dead.' A little voice whispered in her head.

'No!!! I'm alive!! I can't be dead!!'

"No!! I'm not dead!!" she cried out at the top of her voice.

'Then why won't they help you?' the voice said again.

"They will help me!! They have to!!"

Stepping directly into the path of someone she shuddered as they passed right through her. The person paused, looking back where she had just been but, shaking her head, kept on walking- dismissing whatever she had thought she'd felt.

"Oh God!! I am dead!!" she said, her voice loosing all it's resolve and hope.

Wandering aimlessly she found herself in a room occupied by three men. Listening she wanted to weep at what she heard.

"We were exploring. It was going fine. Then suddenly a shot went just past us, right between me and her." One of the men said. His eyes were tired, his face devoid of all emotion, but his eyes told her everything. She knew those eyes.

'How?'

"What were they?"

"They were Reetou. Teal'c felt their presence immediately." He said.

'Who are they?'

"Damn!" the older one said. His eyes were tired and his shoulders slumped, the light shining off his smooth head.

"She dialed up the gate and then turned around to fire. That's when it happened. She dissolved right before my eyes... our eyes."

This one was sad. His face, his eyes, his body- all screamed of sadness.

'Why?' she found her answer. 'Their friend is dead.'

"She never had a chance." The cold one whispered. "I'm so sorry Sam."

'Sam...? That name, I know that name... how?'

"SG-1 is on down time for three weeks. Tell Teal'c please." The old one said. "We'll have a memorial service as soon as Jacob arrives."

The two men nodded and left the room. When the door had shut the old one put his head in his hands and grieved for his friend. She left him to follow the other two men. The cold one went into another room and the sad one continued on. She chose to follow the cold one. He stood in the center of the room and stared ahead at something on the wall behind his desk. She followed his gaze and saw a picture. The cold one, the sad one and another man were standing with a woman.

'That woman... I...know her,' She thought to herself.

The cold one picked up the picture from the wall and hugged it to his chest. The contact broke through his coldness to the warmth beneath it bubbling up like a volcano. He dropped to his knees, shaking, sobbing.

"God I'm sorry Sam!! I'm so sorry!! Sam!! Oh God Sam!! Please forgive me!! I love you!! Sam... I love you!!"

His words brought back a memory to her. She was in a bed, he was at her side, his hands covering hers. She heard him saying those words. When she opened her eyes he smiled at her, yelling for someone to come. 'Sam!' he had cried. He was so happy to see her open her eyes so she had smiled at him. It was Jack... her colonel... her Jack.

Her memories flooded her mind, images, sounds, and events. She remembered them all. Her name... Sam! This is her Jack!

"Oh Jack!" she cried for him.

Kneeling next to him she put her hand on his shoulder only to have it pass right through. Jack shuddered at her touch as though he could feel it.

"Sam..." he whispered, his face streaked with tears and pain.

Jack jumped at a knock on the door. Wiping his face he opened the door to reveal Daniel and Teal'c. Daniel stepped into the room but Teal'c stood where he was.

"Teal'c? Come on in." Daniel motioned to him.

"No Daniel Jackson. Something is not right."

"What do you mean Teal'c?" Jack asked, the soldier in him pushing his feelings aside for now.

"I am not sure O'Neill. Someone is here."

Jack and Daniel exchanged glances, worried for their friend. Before they could ask anything else the klaxons activated. The three men left the room for the gate room. Sam followed them but a woman and a little girl walking the other way caught her attention.

"Janet! Cassie!" she called. They couldn't hear her and kept on walking.

Sam followed them to Janet's office where Cassandra sat on her desk facing Janet, sitting in her chair.

"Mom? What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Cassie... oh sweetie something's happened." Janet began. "SG-1 was out on a mission when the were attacked. Cass... Sam was killed."

"Noooo!!!" Cassie screamed.

Janet wrapped the screaming and sobbing girl in her arms trying to comfort her.

Sam backed up, knocking into a cart. As a glass beaker fell to the ground she stared at it as Janet and Cassie jumped at the noise. She had done that!

"Mom what happened?" Cassie said, sniffling.

"I don't know. It must have not been sitting well." Janet reasoned.

Sam stared at the beaker. SHE had done that! Somehow she had moved it. She couldn't touch a living person but inanimate objects she could move! Then she couldn't be... dead. Quickly Sam put her fingers to her neck. A pulse!! She had a pulse!!

"Then what the hell happened! Why can't anyone see me?"

"Sam!?" Cassie cried, turning her head to face Sam's direction.

"Cassie did you hear me!!?" Sam cried.

"Sam!! Where are you!!!?"

"Cassie honey Sam's dead. You're imagining her voice." Janet reasoned. "Come on, they're having a funeral for Sam. Let's go."

"No!! Sam!!"

"I'm right behind you Cassie!! Go with Janet, I'm right here with you!"

"Sam are you dead?"

"No sweetie... I'm not sure what happened but I have a theory. Let's get to the funeral."

"Okay."

Janet looked at Cassie with a worried look. She was so distraught that she was imagining Sam was there, talking with her. Janet sighed hoping she could help her little girl to accept it.

They entered the room and saw all of SGC along with Jacob, Martouf, and another Tok'ra Sam didn't know. Sam stayed near the door at first but as the funeral began she ventured in farther. She needed to test her theory. As Sam neared her father he doubled over in pain, as did Martouf, Teal'c, and the other Tok'ra.

"I knew it!" she said. "Now how they'd do it?!"

"George!"

"Jacob what is it? Teal'c? Martouf?" Hammond said as he approached the men in pain. "What's wrong?"

"Reetou. There's Reetou!" Jacob said.

"O'Neill get the weapon! Seal those doors!"

Jack ran to retrieve the weapon from a corner crate and he returned with two of them. Handing one to Jacob they began to scan the room.

"Shoot on site!" Hammond ordered.

"Nooo!!" Cassie screamed.

"Cassie it's all right! I'm fine!" Sam yelled to her.

Cassie ran to where she had heard Sam's voice and stood, her arms splayed out protectively. "No!"

"Cassie!" Janet cried.

"Cassie move, they might shoot you!"

"No you can't!!" Cassie cried.

His eyebrow raised, Jacob swung his weapon over to where Cassie was standing. As the beam hit that area he saw what she was protecting.

"SAM!!"

Everyone looked to Cassie and saw Sam in the beam.

"Sam!" several people cried at the same time.

Sam smiled and waved to them. Her mouth was moving but she couldn't be heard.

"Cassie tell them."

"Sam says that she has a theory about what happened and why I can hear her." Cassie said.

Eight people sat in the chairs surrounding the conference table. The ninth sat cross-legged on the table and no one knew where the tenth was standing but five of them knew she was in the room.

"All right, Captain lets hear it."

"Okay, Cassie I want you to say everything I say...okay?"

"Okay Sam... She wants me to repeat everything she says."

"When we were on the planet I was shot by a Reetou weapon. I was knocked out but I wasn't killed. My theory is that I was knocked into their fold of space. That's why no one can hear me or see me."

"Well Cassie can. How come?" Janet asked.

"Because Cassie didn't originate on this planet is the only reason I can think of."

"Okay then how do we reverse its effects?" Jack asked, still trying to pinpoint where in the room Sam was.

"Sam that's not nice." Cassie said to Sam.

"What'd she say?"

"I can't repeat it."

"Sam please don't corrupt my daughter." Janet scolded.

Jack glared at the thin air. Sam laughed at his expression.

"Cassie let them know where I am. I think they're getting frustrated."

"She's in the corner by the door, Uncle Jack."

Jack shifted his glare to there. Cassie looked at the corner thoughtfully, listening to Sam speak to her.

"Are you sure that'll work?"

"It will Cassie... it has to." Sam said, her voice fading. Sam sat down in the corner, she was feeling so weak.

"Sam? Sam!?" Cassie cried out. Jumping from the table she ran to the corner. "Sam answer me! Please!! Sam!!"

"Cassie what is it?"

"Sam won't answer me!"

Jack swung the weapon beam over to the corner and they all saw Sam sitting in the corner looking very ill.

"Cassie... You have to tell them. I can't stay much longer." Sam whispered. "Hurry."

"Okay... please hang on Sam!" Cassie stood and looked at the room full of people who cared as much about Sam as she did. "Sam said that we have to get her back to the planet and reverse the flow of the weapon that she was shot with. It should bring her back into our fold of space. But we have to hurry. If she stays like this much longer she'll die."

"Then let's move out!" Jack cried, tearing his eyes away from Sams.

"Not so fast. How do we get a hold of one of these weapons?" Hammond asked.

Cassie's head swiveled in Sam's direction. "She says that she can see it, them... she can see them. She'll tell us where they are."

George Hammond thought for all of two seconds before nodding his assent. SG-1 fled from the room to gear up.

Sam stood shakily and made her way to the gate room. Ten minutes later the gate was open and all were ready to go through. Cassie stood with the group ready to pass through the event horizon.

"Young lady you are not going with them." The General stated.

Cassie faced him, her face set in stone. "General with a all due respect I am going. I am the only one who can hear Sam. I have to go."

Everyone stared in silence at this little girl who had stood up to the General.

"Defense rests." Jacob quipped.

Not liking it but knowing she was right Hammond let her go through with the team.

Cassie looked around at the land around her. It looked so peaceful. It was hard to believe that just a few short moments ago they had invaded a Reetou camp and stolen one of their weapons. Sam had described it and it didn't take long to find one. She had stayed back at the outskirts of the camp with Sam and he mother while everyone else had gone into it to search. They were on their way back to Cassie, Sam and Janet now. Cassie was worried. Sam had been silent for a long time.

"Uncle Jack..." she said running out to meet him.

"Yeah Cassie."

"Please... show me Sam. I need to see her. She's been too quiet."

Jacks face became even more worried. Using the weapons beam he tried to find Sam. She on the ground... out cold.

"Hold it!" he yelled. The group stopped and looked at him.

Jack faced Teal'c and Daniel. "I need you to shoot me with this weapon. Put me in the same fold as Sam. She's getting too weak. Someone has to help her."

Teal'c nodded, understanding what Jack planned to do. With Daniel holding the beam so Teal'c could see he fired on Jack. Everyone watched as Jack disappeared before his or her eyes.

"Cassie, can you hear me?"

"Yes Uncle Jack... I can hear you. Please help Sam."

Jack kneeled by Sam's side. He picked her up cradling her in his arms. "Sam... Sam you gotta answer me. Some on Sam... help me out here. I don't want to loose you again. I can't live like that. Please Sam... stay with me."

Sam stirred, opening her eyes. "Jack? How...?"

"I'm in their fold of space with you. Let's get you home."

Jack lifted her in his arms easily and began walking toward the gate, talking to Cassie as he went.

"Cass, tell Teal'c and Janet to go ahead and get started on reversing the weapons effects."

"Mom... Uncle Jack says to go home and reverse the weapon. You and Teal'c gotta hurry. Sams getting really weak."

Nodding Teal'c and Janet ran full speed for the gate. From a distance they saw the gate open in a flash of blue. By the time the rest of the party reached the gate and were home they had everything ready. As soon as Jack and Sam crossed the event horizon Janet cleared the room, unsure of what else this weapon was capable of doing. Jack sat on the ramp cradling Sam in his arms waiting for the weapon to be fired.

"Jack..." Sam whispered.

Jack put his head to hers to hear her clearly.

"I love you too."

"...!!"

"I was there..."

"When we thought you were dead..."

Sam nodded. Jack smiled.

"So what do we do now?"

"You are gonna rest. After that... well we'll cross that bridge when we pass by it."

Sam smiled. "Come to it," she corrected him. "When we get to it."

"I knew that." Jack smiled kissing her forehead.

Everyone in the control room watched Jack kiss Sam and smiled.

"'Bout Damn time!" Daniel said.

"Fire the weapon."

Sam lay in the infirmary sleeping with Jack sitting next to her, his head on the bed, also asleep. Janet watched the sleeping for a minute before reporting to the Generals office.

"Report?"

"They'll be fine. There doesn't seem to be any side effects. I'll be keeping an eye on them just to be on the safe side."

"Good. Any changes you let me know."

"Sir..." Janet began.

"I know Doctor. I know. I'll call in a few favors with some friends. Every reg. needs an exception." Hammond smiled.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S