Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Boy, The

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Little Boy

The Little Boy

by Lady S

TITLE: The Little Boy
AUTHOR: Lady S
EMAIL: anywho_sew@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: COMPLETELY ALTERNATE UNIVERSE, Drama, Romance, Hurt/Comfort
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: None
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Heavy language, drug usage, death, abuse.
SUMMARY: A little boy's sad little life.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Okay... fair warning... this section will be long. This story is based on two things. The first is another fanfiction whose title and author I cannot find or remember. Someone wrote a story about Sam getting the "memory" of all of SG-1's "past lives". Sometimes they were a family, sometimes they were enemies, sometimes they were children... but SG-1 always found each other (very good story). So, Author, if you're reading this... thank you for the idea that you planted in my head. I will gladly list you as part-n-parcel to this fic. This fic is also based on a song by John Michael Montgomery. It's called "The Little Girl". It's a very sad, sweet song that makes me cry every time I hear it. I do need to say this though... I do NOT believe in the cross as being the piece of wood that Jesus died on. I believe that it was a stake, a long pole of wood not two crossed pieces. But I'm not here to debate religion... and no... this is not a religious piece. I just need to clear that up. Anywho... on with the show! I hope you enjoy it. (See... I said this would be a long section) PS: I'll put the full lyrics at the end.

****

Her parents never took the young girl to church,
Never spoke of his name, never read him his word.
Two non-believers walking lost in this world,
Took their baby with them, what a sad little girl.

****

A woman lay on the table, her body covered in sweat from the exertion. Muscles tense she did as her body, among other things, told her.

"Push!"

Screaming, the woman pushed with all her might.

"I got him!" the doctor cried. "It's a boy!" The woman lay back onto the table, the tension leaving her body as exhaustion took over.

While the nurses worked to clean and examine the baby the doctor finished with the woman. After the placenta had been expelled and she was sutured the baby was placed into the woman's arms.

"What's his name?" the doctor asked.

"Daniel." The woman told him after a few moments of thought. "His name will be Daniel. Welcome to the world baby Daniel." she whispered to him, nuzzling him with her nose.

It was only a few days until she was sent home with her son. Driving home the woman didn't have a car-seat so she laid him in the passenger seat and covered him with a blanket, face and all, to avoid detection. Once home she put Daniel on the couch and, reaching for the phone, dialed a number she knew by heart.

"Yeah" the recipient answered.

"Where in the hell are you?"

"Amy?"

"Yeah it's me you bastard! Where the hell are you?"

"I'm at Jimmie's. What's it to ya?"

"You been there for three days!"

"Yeah... so?"

"SO!? So, you shit-head... we have a kid!"

"I know we're having a kid."

"No, Al... I said we HAVE a kid!"

There was a pause on the other side of the line as Al listened to the news.

"No shit?! Really? You had the kid?"

"Yeah. He's here. Now get your ass back here and don't forget to bring me a pack."

Amy hung up the phone and walked into the kitchen to make herself a drink. A whimpering from the living room drew her attention to the forgotten little boy who lay on the couch. Sitting down next to him she picked Daniel up and looked at him. His eyes, so the doctor had told her, were a baby blue and his hair, what little he had, was as soft as a chick down.

"You're so tiny." she whispered.

Sick of waiting for Al, Amy donned a coat and shoes and, putting Daniel in a playpen, left the house to run and get a pack of cigarettes. As she walked to the corner store, Amy saw a limousine turn the corner and stop in front of the church. Standing still she saw people flooding from the doorway dressed up and laughing.

Moments later a man and woman, the bride and groom, emerged and with a wave ran to the limousine. The man and woman posed for a picture and a kiss before climbing into the limousine. The bride sat back in her seat and reached for her groom's hand as he shut the door, closing them off from the rest of the world.

"I love you." He smiled at her, his eyes conveying his love for her as well.

"I was wondering what made you come today." She smiled.

"I love you too Sammy." Taking her face in his hands Jack leaned over and kissed his new wife on her lips, a slow sensual kiss. "I love you Mrs. O'Neill."

****

Her Daddy drank all day and Mommy did drugs,
Never wanted to play or give kisses and hugs.
She'd watch the TV and sit there on the couch,
While her Mommy fell asleep and Daddy went out.

****

Al stormed around the apartment looking for his keys, a bottle of tequila in his hand. Ranting and raving her searched the house, turning over tables and furniture in his search. Finally finding them he threw open the door and left. Daniel sat still, his blanket clutched tightly in his hands, as he watched the television, his ears picking up the snores from the bedroom down the hall. Every night he watched as Amy shot up with a needle full of heroine, her eyes glazing over from the effects of the poison seeping into her system. Getting up from the couch he wandered down the hallway, into the bedroom and to her side.

"Mommy..." he whispered putting his small hand gently on her cheek. "Mommy...?"

Not getting any response he climbed into the bed, lying down next to her and closed his eyes. Unable to fall asleep he listened to her breathing and to the sounds coming in from the open window. The sound of a child's laughter caught his attention and, climbing up to the window, he looked out to see a man and a woman running around their yard chasing a little boy.

Daniel watched as the man caught him and swung the boy up into the air, giggles escaping from his smiling face as his father's strong arms caught him. Laughing the man handed the little boy off to the woman before heading over to the barbecue. Big blue eyes looked on as the woman hugged the little boy tightly to her, stroking his hair and kissing his cheeks as only a mother can. The little boy wriggled down from his mother's lap and raced off to grab his father's legs. The mother stood from her chair and stretched out her arms looking around. Her eyes came to rest upon a little boy looking out from a window in the neighbor's house. Her smiling eyes met his solemn ones and she waved, her smile falling when he disappeared from the window.

"Jane?" the man called to her he approached. Putting his arm around her waist he followed her eyes to the empty window. "What is it sweetie?"

"Nothing Brian. Nothing." she said, a hint of sadness in her voice. A movement from he corner of her eye caught her attention. "Tyrell Ryan! You put that ice cream down! We're eating dinner soon." With a glance toward the window Jane followed her husband to the patio and their son.

The next day at work she entered the teacher's lounge to get a cup of coffee when she heard a small sniffle from the corner. Curiosity getting the best of her Jane moved towards the sound until she saw its source. Curled up in a chair was her best friend since grade school, crying.

"Sam? Sweetie what is it? What's wrong?"

Sam looked up and wiped her eyes. "Oh Jane! I... I just got back from the doctors."

Jane sat down next to Sam, putting her arm around her. "What'd he say?"

"He says it's not gonna happen. That all the work and effort we've put into it was for nothing." Sam sobbed. "I can't have any children Jane!"

Jane soothed Sam as best she could. Wrapping her in her arms and speaking softly. She had known that they had been trying to have children, something they both wanted very dearly. This was a devastating blow.

"Why don't you and Jack come over tonight?"

Sam shook her head. No... not tonight. We're leaving to go see my parent's."

"All right then. When you get back. We'll barbecue."

Sam nodded. Hugging her friend she went to the sink to splash some cold water on her face.

~ How in the world am I supposed to tell Jack? ~

****

And the drinking and the fighting,
Just got worse every night.
Behind their couch, she'd be hiding,
Oh, what a sad little life.

****

"You're going out again?!" Amy yelled.

"Yes, bitch!"

"Don't you call me that you asshole! You've gone out every night this month!"

"I said shut up!"

Al reached for his bottle of beer and took a swig before it was knocked from his hand. Amy knocked the bottle to the floor, smashing it, spraying its liquid all over the floor.

"BITCH!" he yelled. Rising from his seat Al slapped his wife.

"Don't hit me, bastard! He's your kid too! You stay home with him tonight." Amy yelled.

Immediately she saw the anger boil in his eyes. Unable to move fast enough she caught his fist on her chin and again on her eye before he stormed out of the house. Amy got up from the floor and reached for a small box in the end table. As the needle pierced her arm she drifted off to a place where pain ceased to exist, a prison of pleasure. The last thing to reach her senses was a whimper from behind the couch. Behind the large piece of furniture Daniel sat. He had discovered long ago that this place was safe. None ever found him there.

It was almost an hour of silence before he emerged from his sanctuary. Looking at his mother he saw that she, once again, was asleep. Slowly, his eyes still teary, Daniel began to pick up the pieces of broken glass. Throwing them away he went back to his mother's bedroom and peered out the window, watching for the family he had seen on many occasions. They weren't there today but he knew he would see them again.

Sam looked at Jack from the corner of her eye. His one hand resting at the base of the wheel the other held hers, his thumb caressing the palm of her hand. His eyes were staring straight ahead but he knew she was watching him... he could feel it.

"Sam... honey tell me what's bothering you."

Sam started. "I... what makes you think something's wrong?"

Jack turned his eyes from the road to look at her. "Sam... I have known you for over ten years now. Ever since the day you fell into my lap after walking the patio railing at Jane's eighteenth birthday party. Whenever you get quiet and stop babbling about chemistry and science I know something's bothering you."

Sam removed her hand from his and looked out the window. Sighing Jack continued down the highway until he saw the sign for a truck stop. Pulling off the road he parked the car and twisted in his seat to face Sam.

"Sam, please talk to me."

Sam continued to stare out the window, doing her best to keep a hold on her tears. Jack reached out and touched her shoulder, gently squeezing it, hoping to coax her into talking. Shrugging off his hand Sam fled the car; her tears falling silently down her face as she ran into the trees. Confused Jack ran after her. Catching her by the arms Jack turned her around to face him. He saw the tears running down her cheeks and his concern grew.

"Baby... please! Whatever it is... we'll get through it. Let me help!"

"Jack! Please! I can't do this right now! I just..."

Jack silenced her with a kiss. "Whatever it is, baby... I'm here for you. Whenever you need to talk."

Sam looked at Jack, her face showing her disbelief. This man had been there for her for ten years and even now, when she could barely find the strength to form the words, he was there to hold her hand and walk her through it. Placing her hand on his cheek, caressing the man she loved, and fought to say what needed to be said.

"I love you Jack. I have loved you for ten years. I... I don't know how to say this." Jack stayed silent, waiting for her to continue. "I went to the doctors this morning. The results came back." Putting his hand on the base of her neck, Jack leaned his forehead to hers, willing his strength to her. "He say's it's not gonna happen!" Sam sobbed. "I can't have any children." Jack felt the tears stinging his eyes and his throat closing. They had been trying so hard only to be shot down with this news. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I failed. I..."

"Shut up Sam. Just shut up." Jack whispered. "I love you. I always have and I always will. Children or no... it will always be you and me."

With a mixture of relief and pain, Sam cried. Burying her face in Jacks shoulder she cried for all they had lost and all she had gained.

Holding his wife close Jack felt the tears coursing down his cheek but his heart soared. He had his wife and together they would get through this.

***

And like it always does, the bad just got worse,
With every slap and every curse.
Until her Daddy in a drunk rage one night,
Used a gun on her Mom and then took his life.

***

Daniel sat behind the couch. He had heard his father come into the house, his feet shuffling and his body swaying from the amount of alcohol in his system. He knew that it meant they would be fighting again tonight. Daniel had scrambled for the couch and got behind it just in time. Moments later heard his father drag his mother out of the bedroom and into the living room, throwing her to the floor.

"Bitch! All I wanted was a fuck! You're too doped to even do that!" he yelled, slapping her face again and again.

"Stop! God-dammit Al, stop!" Amy cried trying to ward off his blows.

His anger only made worse by her fighting him. Al continued his abuse, each blow connecting painfully with her body. Scrambling away from him Amy grabbed hold of a cup left on the table and lobbed it at his head. Just missing him, it crashed into the wall. Reaching for another she kept throwing whatever her hands could pick up. Few of them actually made contact but the majority of them kept him at bay.

"Knock it off you little slut! Aaugh!" he yelled as one of the cups connected with his head. "You little bitch!" Reaching into his jacket Al pulled a gun out and pointed it at her. Amy saw the gun and froze.

"Oh God, Al!" she said.

"Shut up!"

"Al no!"

"I said shut up!" he yelled, waving the gun at her.

"Shit! Al, don't do this!"

"Shut up!"

"Al!"

"Shut up!" he yelled, his finger squeezing the trigger.

A shot rang out, the bullet slamming into Amy's chest knocking her into the wall, then to the floor. Al stared in shock at her still form as a pool of red formed under her. Dropping to his knees he reached out and shook her shoulder.

"Amy? Amy, quit foolin'! Come on, bitch! Wake up!" Al began to shake as he realized that Amy wasn't moving. Reaching for her neck, he found no pulse. "Oh my God! Amy! Amy, get up!" he yelled. "What have I done? Oh God Amy I'm sorry! I'm sorry baby!" Pointing the gun at himself Al pulled the trigger and fell on top of the woman he'd loved as well as he knew how.

"I am so glad you guys came!"

"Thanks for inviting us Jane." Jack said as he leaned back in his chair

The quartet of adults sat in the dining room, dinner consumed, relaxing in the company of good friends.

"How'd that weekend with the parents go?" Brian asked.

"All right. It was good to see my folks." Sam told them.

"Mommy!"

Tyrell came screaming into the room, a growling dog hot on his heels. As quick as he could the four year old scrambled into his fathers lap, away from his mortal enemy.

"Maybourne! Down!" Brian yelled out, his finger pointing to the floor.

"Bad doggy! Bad!" Tyrell scolded from the safety of his father's arms.

Sam smiled as Jack tensed next to her, his abhorrence of every furry four-legged creature coming to the fore. Brian handed Tyrell to Jane before shutting the offender out of the house. Just as he was about to retake his seat the night silence was shattered by a gunshot. Glancing at one another, Jack and Brian fled the dining room and were out the door before anyone could stop them. Reaching for the phone Jane called the police.

As Jack and Brian reached the street, a second shot rang out.

"This way." Jack cried. The duo raced for a neighboring house, the adrenaline rushing through their veins. Throwing open the door both men entered the house to see Amy on the floor in a puddle of blood and Al atop her, his blood mixing with hers. Jacks stomach turned at the sight but his heart was drawn to a small cry from behind the couch. On his knees he crawled over and looked to see a small little boy huddled against the wall, a brown blanket clutched in his trembling hands. Jack held out his hands and made soothing noises trying to get the little boy to come out. After several moments Daniel began to inch towards Jack. As the sirens began to wail on the street, Jack had the little one in his arms. Hugging him tightly to his chest Jack left the house and went back to Sam, leaving Brian to meet the police.

"What happened?" Jane asked, her voice frantic with worry."

"Two people, dead. This little guy was behind the couch. I think he saw it all."

"Oh God!" Sam cried, her heart breaking for him.

"I gotta go talk to the police. Take him Sam." Daniel was transferred to Sam's arms and Jack left to speak with the police. Cradling the little boy in her arms Sam smoothed his hair back and tried to ask him a few questions.

"What's you're name sweetie?"

Daniel remained silent, his big blue eyes staring out at the boy sitting on the other woman's lap. Sam followed his eyes and tried another tactic.

"His name is Tyrell and that's his mommy, Jane. My name is Sam. What's your name?"

Again he remained silent. Rocking back and forth, Sam could feel him relaxing into her arms, the tiredness and fear taking its toll, until he was soon asleep. Moving to the rocking chair in the living room Sam continued to rock the little boy as he slept. Though he was asleep, Daniel kept a firm chokehold on the blanket. Just how long they stayed that way Sam didn't know but it felt like only a few moments until a policeman was approaching her.

"Ma'am...?" she said. "Is this the little boy from the shooting?"

"Yes. He's asleep. He hasn't said a word yet though."

The policeman nodded, his time-hardened eyes softening at the sight of the little boy. "We're gonna need to take him to the station for the shrink to talk to him."

Sam nodded and she moved her arms for the man to take Daniel. As he felt the shift in pressure and warmth Daniel opened his eyes to see a strange man reaching for him. Though the woman was just as much a stranger, he sensed she would not harm him. As soon as the mans hand touched him Daniel let loose a scream to rival a banshee. The officer withdrew his hand and allowed Daniel to return to the safety of Sam's arms and the little boy began to calm once more.

"Ma'am, would you..."

"Yes." Sam interrupted him. "I'll come with you."

Rising to her feet Sam was settled in the back of a patrol car, Daniel in her arms and Jack by her side. By the time they had reached the station Daniel was asleep again. The trio was seated in a soundproof room while the shrink was called. Jack and Sam patiently waited and were soon joined by another woman.

"Hello. I'm Selma. I'm the stations psychologist. Is he asleep?"

"Yes." Sam replied. "He fell asleep in the car."

"Poor guy's had a pretty rough night." Jack elaborated.

"What can you tell me about it?"

"Not much really. We were having dinner when we heard the shots. When Brian and I got to the house the two people were dead and he was behind the couch, whimpering."

Selma nodded and jotted down a few notes. "Well there's not much we can do for right now. We'll put him in a foster home for the night and talk to him tomorrow."

Standing she pocketed her notebook and pen and took Daniel from Sam's arms. Immediately he woke and began to cry, his arms reaching out for Sam. Moving quickly she left the room to get to her car before he became too difficult to control. Jack and Sam followed her into the hall and stood watching as she tried to make her way down the hallway, Daniel kicking and screaming the whole way. Finally, with a giant kick to her chest he dropped free from her arms and ran back to Sam who was already on her knees waiting, arms stretched out to him. In her arms, his tears began to abate, leaving Selma to make the only feasible decision.

"Would you..."

"Yes." Both Sam and Jack said, their hearts speaking at the same time.

Selma smiled. "All right. We'll draw up the papers and then you can take him for the night. We'll need to see him here tomorrow though."

Three hours later Sam laid Daniel down on their king size bed, Jack on one side and Sam on the other, each one a shield from everything the world had thrown at him. Jack stroked his hair while Sam cradled him in her arms. Lifting her eyes from Daniel, she looked at Jack over the sleeping boys head.

"Jack... he's got nobody now."

"Wrong Sam." Jack replied, his throat tight. "He's got us now."

***

And some people from the city,
Took the girl far away.
To a new Mom and a new Dad,
Kisses and hugs everyday.

***

"It is the decision of this court that final custody of Daniel Roberts be given to Jack and Samantha O'Neill."

With a bang of the gavel, Daniel officially became a member of the O'Neill family, as surely as he was in they're hearts he was now their son. Smiles and laughter erupted from the small group of friends supporting Sam and Jack.

That night the couple celebrated with their son. As the last piece of cake as devoured into a chocolate covered mouth, the phone rang. Jack got up to answer it while Sam cleaned off Daniels face.

"Yes." "Yes officer I understand." Yes, thank you. We'll be there."

Hanging up the phone Jack looked to see Sam lifting a sleepy Daniel into her arms. "I'm gonna put him to bed."

"All right. I'll start on the kitchen."

Kissing Jack, Sam sauntered down the hall to put their son to bed. It had been almost a month since Daniel had come to live with them. He had yet to talk, but the psychologist had assured them that this was okay. When he was ready to talk, he would. Until then, they just had to be there, talk to him, and let him know he was safe. Pulling the cover up to his chin, Sam shut off the light and left the room, leaving the door lightly ajar.

"So who was on the phone?" Sam asked as she stood next to Jack at the sink.

"Charles Kasten. He wanted to try and talk to Daniel again."

"No."

"Sam... maybe its time that we let him try again."

"No Jack!"

"Sam..."

"No!" Sam cried. "He's not ready!"

"We don't know that."

"Yes we do! He won't even talk to us except for a few words! He's not ready!"

"Maybe a prod in the right direction would him going again!"

"A prod?!" Sam yelled, her frustration brought to the fore. "He has nightmares that he can't tell us about. Dreams that he screams himself awake, and you want to force him back into it! No Jack! No!"

Turning her back to him Sam tried to end the conversation there.

"Sam! We've got to do something!" Jack yelled back, grabbing Sam's arm to make her face him. "We have to do something!"

"Stop'it!" Daniel ran into the room and shoved Jack with all his four year old might. "Don't hurt her! Leave her 'lone!" he screamed, tears streaming from his eyes.

Standing in front of Sam protectively, he glared at Jack. Sam knelt behind Daniel and turned him around to face her.

"It's okay Danny! I'm okay! Jack isn't going to hurt me. We just had a fight, that's all! It's okay, baby. It's okay."

Jack felt his throat close. Kneeling next to them he looked into Daniel's eyes.

"Danny, listen to me. I love Sam, very much! I would never hurt her! We had a fight, it's something grown ups do sometimes, but it doesn't mean that we don't love each other. I love Sam as much as I love you. We're a family now."

Daniel stared at Jack from Sam's arms. "P'omise?"

Jack smiled. "P'omise!"

Throwing his arms around Jacks neck, Daniel squeezed him harder than Jack thought a little boy could. Holding him tightly Jack hugged his son carefully, his throat tight and his heart aching. Together Sam and Jack put Daniel back to bed and stood in the doorway watching him sleep.

"You're right." Sam whispered. "We need to do something."

"I'll see if Charles can stop by this weekend."

"I'm home!" Jack called as he stepped in the door.

Smelling the delicious aroma of his wife's cooking he went in search of their knee-high-hugger. In no time at all he found him out back helping Sam dig in their garden.

"Well, well, well. There's my little dirt muncher! Come here squirt!"

Laughing Daniel jumped up and grabbed Jacks legs. Sam stood brushing the dirt from her pants, a smile on her face.

"Hiya honey. Dinner smells great!"

"Good! It'll be ready in a few moments."

"Come on squirt! Let's get you cleaned up so we can eat!"

Jack threw Daniel high in the air and caught him, the little boy squealing in delight the whole time. Soon the trio sat in the kitchen, plates of steaming food in front of them, and began to eat. While Daniel busied himself making a fort out of his potatoes and babbling about his day Jack cleared his throat to get Sams attention.

"He'll be here tonight... about seven."

Sam's grin dropped from her face but she nodded. The time had come and, as much as she hated causing him pain, Sam knew it was time to do something.

True to his word Officer Charles Kasten arrived a little after seven.

"Come on in Charles. Sam... can you go get Daniel?"

"Sure, honey." Making her way down the hallway of their ranch style home, Sam approached Daniel's room but stopped just outside of his room to listen.

"Now you sit here Baby Doll."

Peeking into the room Sam saw Daniel on the floor, five dolls in front of him. Two were on one side and two on the other while one sat in the middle.

"Bad Mommy has to got to sleep now and Bad Daddy has to leave."

Daniel put on of the dolls in a small box made up as a bed and the other he put behind him. Sam's breath caught in her throat as she realized what was happening. Quickly she made her way back to the living room.

"You need to see this," she said, her tone urgent and her eyes pleading.

The two men followed her and stood in the now open doorway. They watched as Daniel, oblivious to them, continued to play with his dolls.

"No, no Baby Doll! You need to stay there. You can't come out yet! Stay!"

Placing the smallest doll behind the box Daniel shook his finger when it fell over and out from behind the box.

"Bad Daddy's gonna come back now! You gotta stay there."

Using the arms of the doll from the box, Daniel began to throw little pieces of paper and wood at Bad Daddy. Putting down the one doll, he then picked up Bad Daddy and threw a piece of wood at Bad Mommy. Daniel picked up a red crayon and drew a circle on the floor, filling it in before he put the doll face down on it. Using the same crayon he colored in Bad Daddy's head and put it on top of the other doll.

Sam buried her head in Jacks shoulder, her throat tight and her eyes stinging, but here ears still listening.

"Now the Baby Doll gets to go live with the Good Mommy and the Good Daddy!"

Daniel stood up from the floor and placed all three dolls on his bed, the Baby Doll in the middle with Good Mommy on one side and Good Daddy on the other. Turning around he saw the three adults standing in the doorway.

"Hi." He said to them, shy in the presence of a stranger.

Charles cleared his throat. "I think I've got it all. We don't need anything more."

Jack saw the officer out while Sam got Daniel ready or his bath. Kneeling on the tile floor Sam watched Daniel splash in the soapy water, her tears barely held at bay. In the four years that he had walked this earth Daniel had seen more heartache than anyone deserved. Sam thanked God that they had been given the chance to love him as their own son and to give him the love and family he deserved.

The next day both families were gathered in the park on a picnic. As they sat at the table eating, Tyrell and Daniel played in the sandbox a few feet away. Daniel looked over at Sam and Jack and ran over to where they were sitting at the table.

"Sam...?" he asked, his eyes serious even as his mouth smiled.

"Yeah baby? What is it?"

"Can I call you and Jack my Mommy and Daddy?" Sam's breath caught in her throat. Reaching for Jack's hand she found herself unable to form the words. Jack squeezed her hand as he answered the innocent question, his voice thick.

"Yes, Danny. You can call us Mommy and Daddy."

Daniel smiled.

"Come on Danny!" Tyrell yelled.

Daniel ran back to the sandbox, his one question answered, oblivious to the effect it had on the people he now called parents. Sam cupped Jacks face in her hands and he leaned his forehead down onto hers.

"Mommy and Daddy." she whispered.

"Mommy and Daddy."

The End

Song Lyrics for "The Little Girl"

Her parents never took the young girl to church,
Never spoke of his name, never read him his word.
Two non-believers walking lost in this world,
Took their baby with them, what a sad little girl.

Her Daddy drank all day and Mommy did drugs,
Never wanted to play or give kisses and hugs.
She'd watch the TV and sit there on the couch,
While her Mommy fell asleep and Daddy went out

And the drinking and the fighting,
Just got worse every night.
Behind their couch, she'd be hiding,
Oh, what a sad little life.

And like it always does, the bad just got worse,
With every slap and every curse.
Until her Daddy in a drunk rage one night,
Used a gun on her Mom and then took his life.

And some people from the city,
Took the girl far away.
To a new Mom and a new Dad,
Kisses and hugs everyday.

Her first day of Sunday school the teacher walked in,
And a small little girl stared at a picture of him.
She said I know that man up there on that cross,
I don't know his name but I know he got off.

Cause he was there in my old house,
And held me close to his side.
As I hid there behind our couch,
The night that my parents died.

The Little Girl
John Michael Montgomery

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S