Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Not A Genuis

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Not A Genuis

Not A Genuis

by L.E McMurray

Summary: It's not easy being ordinary.
Category: POV
Episode Related: 514 48 Hours, 601 Redemption 1, 602 Redemption 2
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Sam/other
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/09/03

Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing. I know no one likes McKay but this hit me and I had to write it.

It's not easy.

I mean I know I'm smart, I know I can keep up with almost anyone and yet there's always that one person who's not only smarter than me but I just can't help baiting.

I wanted her to like me, I really did but my big mouth opened and out came an insult that obviously made her want to kick me along the halls of the SGC, something I know she can do.

And as if that wasn't enough I just kept digging and annoying her. But come on I did have very good reasons.

Number one, I'm a smuck. It's a pretty good reason you have to admit.

Number two, nobody warned me how gorgeous she was. Big blue eyes, golden hair I mean she was an angel, except for when she was glaring at me which come to think of it was almost every time I opened my mouth.

Which brings us to number three; I'm a smuck.

*

From the moment I heard about the Stargate program I wanted to be a part of it, going to other worlds, playing with alien technology. Of course all I got was to do follow-up work for Major Gorgeous and that was basically why I insulted her the first chance I got.

Okay, the blond joke was definitely a really big mistake. I was nervously waiting for her to disembowel me with her spoon but thankfully she didn't.

*

The Anubis crisis I felt that I had got one over on her when I came up with the idea to send Gamma radiation through the Gate, her instant dismissal of the plan made me furious that she couldn't trust my idea.

Unfortunately she was right, and not just cause we lost a whole load of time but she was hurt. Seeing her fly back and drop unconscious to the ground I felt fear build up and not because she could kick my ass but I feared she would never wake up to kick my ass.

That moment of terror meant I told her my fear of being ordinary and how I admired her for her ability to pull brilliant ideas from nowhere. I called her an artist and she is, something I can never be.

*

When Colonel O'Neill had the Stargate in the air and she suggested using the Hyperspace window I couldn't believe she was suggesting something so stupid and I said so. Until little alien guy piped up and she started typing a new sub-routine for O'Neill. I noticed a small thing she'd missed and added it. The moment she turned and said thanks made me smile. She may be a genius but sometimes it's us who are ordinary that spot the simple things.

As we waited to find out if O'Neill had survived I watched her, the moment the announcement that he'd survived reached us she smiled at me and I felt like a genius just for a moment.

*

If I ever go back at least I know she doesn't completely despise me, the small kiss she gave me as I was leaving told me this.

I'm not a genius but that doesn't matter anymore cause I'm not ordinary anymore. With my help we saved the planet.

And that's something I can carry proudly for the rest of my life.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to L.E McMurray