Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Echoes

by KT
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Echoes

Echoes

by KT

TITLE: Echoes
AUTHOR: KT
EMAIL: kdlh2o@gil.com.au
STATUS: Complete
CATEGORY: Hurt/comfort I think. I'm not really sure what all the categories entail but I think this is the closest.
PAIRINGS: Daniel/Sam friendship, Jack/Sam
SPOILERS: Contains references to many episodes up to and including 'Beneath the Surface' (which is all I've seen so far).
SEASON: Four after 'Beneath the Surface'.
RATING: PG-13 (hope this is right)
CONTENT WARNING: sexual situations but nothing graphic
SUMMARY: On a routine mission things go awry. But why and what happens now?
AUTHOR NOTES: Spelling is a mixture of Australian and American and please forgive any imperfections in the scientific/anthropological/military stuff as I really have no idea what I'm talking about! However as I have always said, "Never allow ignorance to get in the way of a good story idea!" This is the first Stargate fanfic I've posted so please be kind. It's basically a friendship story, which is what I like best about SG1...their strong friendships. And in case anyone is the least bit interested, Daniel is my favourite character and features prominently in all my stories.
Words between * * denote thoughts.
DISCLAIMER: MGM/Gekko/Double Secret own them. This story is meant for entertainment purposes only and no money has changed hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters and situations in this story are the property of the author and may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.

ECHOES

Colonel Jack O'Neill faced his fellow SGC members in the control centre above the gate room. "So what exactly is the deal with this..."



"P3C692," Daniel quickly supplied.

"Yeah, that," Jack acknowledged. He studied the computer images more closely. "Looks...nice."

"Well, Sir," Samantha began, "it has the distinction of being one of the destinations we dialed early on that didn't work."

"But now it does?"

Samantha nodded. "Yes, Sir."

"And that would be because...?"

Samantha smiled. "There could be any number of reasons. Perhaps the gate was buried initially like on P2X416. You know, Nyan's planet."

"Oh, yeah. And we all remember how THAT turned out!"

Samantha ignored him and continued. "Or perhaps the computer miscalculated the shift differentiations previously. If you remember we were basically operating on trial and error at first. Or perhaps..." She broke off as Jack raised his hand for her silence.

"Uh! Uh!" Everyone turned towards him. "So basically what you're saying is you have no idea."

Again Samantha smiled a kind of lopsided smile. "Pretty much, Sir. Any theory is just a guess at this point."

"Ah!" Jack nodded in comprehension glancing towards his commanding officer. "So standard recon., General?"

General Hammond nodded. "That's correct, Colonel. The UAV showed no signs of life or current civilization..."

"Well there goes your 'gate suddenly becoming unburied' theory," Jack muttered in an aside to Samantha.

"...but we know that's not always an accurate assessment. There was however evidence of skeletal remains which Doctor Jackson feels is worthy of attention."

"Yes," Daniel chimed in. "They looked to be the remains of primitive man perhaps Neanderthal or a counterpart, which could help explain some of the gaps in our own evolutionary development."

"Mm bones," Jack intoned dryly. "My favourite thing in the world next to mineral surveys." Daniel frowned slightly, Teal'c retained his usual neutral expression but Samantha and General Hammond both smiled.

"SG1, you have a go," Hammond stated. "Check in as per normal but take additional supplies in case Doctor Jackson deems an extended stay necessary. You'll depart in one hour."

Fifty-five minutes later as Daniel was heading for the gate room he heard himself being summoned from behind. Turning quickly he discovered that Doctor Janet Fraiser was approaching him rapidly in an endeavour to catch up with him.

"Janet?" he inquired politely.

She presented a packet in her right hand. "Allergy medication. I noticed that it's been awhile since you've had a prescription filled and I thought you might need this on your trip. Wouldn't want you running out."

Daniel took the packet and looked at it carefully. "Thank you, Janet, that's very thoughtful. I hadn't even given that a thought."

"All part of the service," Janet said with a little smile. "Besides I knew your mind would be taken up with more interesting matters."

"Yes, well you know me too well it seems." He popped the package into his top jacket pocket. "Thank you again. I'll see you when we get back."

"I'll look forward to it," Janet said with a bright smile. "Have a safe trip," and then she turned and headed back to the infirmary leaving a slightly puzzled Daniel staring after her.

"I think she likes you," Jack said with a grin as he suddenly materialized at his side.

"No," Daniel denied immediately and then he looked at Jack as they started to walk along the corridor together. "You think?" He turned to look back in the direction in which Janet had vanished.

"Have I ever steered you wrong? No, don't answer that," he added quickly as he felt Daniel's eyes on him. "Ah, Carter, there you are."

Five minutes later SG1 stepped out of the Stargate into the beautiful lush surroundings of P3C692. "Okay, kids, listen up," Jack began without preamble. "We'll leave the gear here for the moment. Daniel, you and Carter go check out those bones you're so interested in," he gestured off to the right, "while Teal'c and I look for something a little more...recent. Questions, comments?"

Daniel refused to be baited and shook his head amiably while Samantha smiled at her C.O. "No, Sir. Good luck, Sir."

"To us both, Major." They exchanged a warm smile that was held for just that fraction longer than protocol normally dictated so that when they broke the connection it was to see both Teal'c and Daniel grinning knowingly. At once Jack's expression changed. "What are you two smiling at?" he demanded indignantly.

"Me?" queried Daniel. "I wasn't smiling. At least I don't think..." He broke off glancing at Teal'c. "Was I smiling?"

"You were doing no such thing, Daniel Jackson."

"I didn't think so, because I think I would have known if I was smiling. Were YOU smiling?"

"I was not."

He turned back towards Jack. "There now see, neither of us was smiling. You obviously mis..."

"ENOUGH!" Jack commanded pulling a 'you think you're so funny don't you' face. He motioned off to the left, addressing Teal'c with deliberate politeness. "Shall we?"

Teal'c inclined his head in customary fashion and as they moved off he asked, "So, O'Neill, is smiling considered to be inappropriate in certain situations on your world?"

Daniel smiled in amusement and turned back towards Samantha noticing for the first time that she appeared to be looking decidedly uncomfortable with their conversation as well. Immediately he felt contrite. "Sorry, Sam," he said sincerely but she didn't reply, choosing instead to turn and head off in the direction of the bones. He hurried to catch up with her. "I think it's great...really. We both do."

Samantha stopped and faced him. "Both?" she asked warily.

"Teal'c and I."

For a moment Samantha looked horrified and then she turned and resumed walking. Again Daniel had to hurry to catch up with her. "Not that we've discussed it, if that's what you're concerned about. It's just there. I looked at him just now and knew exactly what he was thinking. We're happy for you both." He suddenly grabbed her arm and forced her to stop and face him. "No disrespect intended I assure you."

Samantha took in his earnest expression and honest blue eyes and suddenly the humiliation and anger she had felt at being the object of gossip vanished. *Was there but something tangible to gossip about!* She sighed inwardly but gave her companion a half smile. After all it had been pretty obvious how Jonah and Thera had felt about each other. The names might have been different but both Teal'c and Daniel had been there to witness it. "Daniel, can we just drop this please?"

Daniel nodded genially. "Okay, sure, no problem." He paused. "But I will say this, Jack's a damn lucky guy." And with that he set off once again with a mischievous grin on his face.

For a moment Samantha stared after him in exasperation but then she shook her head in resignation and smiled slowly. It was rather nice to know that he approved, after all she counted him amongst her closest friends these days. She hurried to catch up with him and they continued to walk in companionable silence, each still bearing the hint of a smile in their otherwise carefully neutral expressions.

"So," ventured Samantha after a while, "what do you think these bones will tell us?"

Daniel shook his head. "I have no idea. Could be evidence of some Goa'uld experiment. Or it could be a sign that humanoids developed similarly in different parts of the galaxy."

They continued the conversation until they came to an outcrop of rocks. "This looks like the place," Daniel stated.

Samantha nodded. They took off their backpacks to facilitate easier movement between the rocks but both retained their weapons as a precaution, Samantha carrying hers at the ready. They began to weave their way between and over the boulders until they reached an oval-shaped, dirt-based clearing surrounded by large boulders on three sides. The area was approximately twelve metres by twenty metres and the skeletal remains of three humanoid figures once clothed in animal skins were prominently displayed.

They stared at them almost in awe for several seconds. "No signs of predation," Daniel whispered wondering why he was whispering and then he carefully withdrew his miniature video camera from his pocket. Just as he was about to move forward his transmitter spoke.

"Daniel, come in."

He activated the speak button with his free hand. "I hear you, Jack. We've just found the bones."

"Well, we've got something here too. You're gunna love this."

"What, more bones?"

"Nope. We're in a cave and the wall looks like it's been marked as some kind of a calendar."

"Well, how can you tell?"

"It's good old fashioned tally marks, Danny boy, that's how."

"Tally marks? Are you sure?"

"Yep. Seems like someone was here for a long time too."

"How long?" Samantha cut in.

"Not sure. Thought I'd leave that for you and Daniel to figure out. Lots of marks though."

"Anything else?" Daniel asked.

"Oh yeah. Haven't got to the best bit yet. There are letters here as well."

"What do you mean 'letters'? As in English?" Daniel looked at Samantha incredulously.

"That's another affirmative. Let's see there's an A and an I and another A. Then underneath there's what looks like an M and possibly an E but it's hard to make out."

Daniel left his hand off the button. "A I A me. That doesn't make a lot of sense." He looked at Samantha who shrugged then he pressed the speak button again. "Is that all?"

"Well, no. There's obviously been other letters between those as well but I can't make them out. And there's also what looks like it might have been a date. Two something..." The transmission suddenly cut out.

Daniel and Samantha looked at each other in alarm. "Jack?"

"Colonel?"

There was no reply.

"Jack, come in. What's happening?"

"Teal'c?"

"I am here, Major Carter. Colonel O'Neill lost his footing on some rocks. He hit his head and his ankle appears to be broken. I will require Daniel Jackson's assistance in returning him to the Stargate."

"Is he okay?" Samantha asked urgently.

"I'm fine, Carter," came the brusque reply. "Headache the size of Mt Etna but you know how hard the old noggin is." Samantha visibly relaxed. "Don't think I'll be walkin' anytime soon though. Next time Daniel can read his own cave..." he sought for the right word, "stuff!"

"We'll be right there, Teal'c," Daniel stated with a smile.

"We will make what progress we can until you meet up with us. Teal'c out."

Daniel glanced regretfully around at the skeletons before pocketing his recorder. "Let's go."

Samantha, who had been watching him sympathetically, put a detaining hand on his shoulder. "Just a sec. Why don't I take some footage for you and meet up with you back at the gate?"

Daniel's face lit up but then he frowned. "I don't think it's a good idea for us to split up. Besides Jack wouldn't like it."

Samantha gestured around her. "We've seen nothing here to indicate danger of any kind. Besides which I'm well armed and there's really nothing I can do to help the Colonel other than offer to splint his ankle which he would definitely NOT appreciate." Daniel gave her a questioning look, but she just shook her head. "Long story. But really, Daniel, I'll be fine. Probably even beat you to the gate."

Daniel deliberated for a moment, debating the matter silently but finally curiosity won out. "Okay, if you're sure." Samantha nodded and he handed her the camera. "See if you can determine how they died."

"I will. Oh, and if the Colonel gives you any trouble just mention splints and my name." Her mischievous grin was the last thing Daniel saw before he turned and hurried away.

"Where's Carter?" Jack demanded as soon as Daniel rendezvoused with he and Teal'c.

"Taking some video footage of the bones for me," Daniel replied as he slipped his shoulder under Jack's left arm.

"You shouldn't have left her on her own, Daniel," Jack chastised sternly.

"Her idea. Besides she said something about you not appreciating her splints which she would feel compelled to apply if she was in the vicinity."

"Huh!" Jack snorted, "A guy makes one little bit of constructive criticism..." He left the sentence deliberately unfinished and then added seriously, "Call her, Daniel."

Daniel complied immediately, pressing the button with his free hand. "Sam, come in."

"I'm here."

"I've met up with the others. Jack says hello. Everything okay?"

"Fine. I'm just about to make a more detailed study."

"We'll be about...ten?" he looked towards Teal'c who inclined his head, "ten minutes. Don't be late."

"I won't. See you at the gate. Carter out."

Ten minutes later they arrived at the gate but Samantha was nowhere in sight. As soon as Jack was lowered to the ground beside the DHD he was on the channel. "Carter, where are you? We're ready to go."

"Already? Sorry, Sir I didn't realize. If I could just have ten more minutes. I think I know what killed these guys and you're not going to believe it."

"That's a negative, Major. We're ready to go now."

"But, Sir..."

"NOW, Major!" and then his tone changed. "C'mon, Carter, I'm dying here."

"Oh sorry, Sir. I'll be right there."

"Hang on a minute, Sam," Daniel intervened.

Jack looked at Daniel with a raised eyebrow. "Daniel?"

"Jack, you don't need my help to get through the Stargate. I could head back to Sam. We could finish up there and follow you shortly. What do you think?"

Jack looked towards Teal'c who raised his eyebrows in that way he had of endorsing a plan without the need for words. Then his gaze returned to Daniel. He gave him that 'you'd better not let anything happen to her' look and then nodded. "Yeah, okay. Don't be too long though."

"We won't. Thank you." He immediately turned his attention to the DHD and began dialing.

Jack got back on the transmitter. "Carter?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Stay where you are. Daniel's on his way back to you."

"Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir."

"See you on the flip side."

Daniel saw his friends safely into the Stargate and then headed quickly back towards Samantha. "So what have you got?" he called through the transmitter.

"Daniel, this is incredible. These three humanoids...and you're right they do look Neanderthal, have all been shot and if I'm not mistaken by the exact same weapons carried by the members of the SGC...P-90s."

"What? That's impossible. No-one from the SGC has ever been here before."

"I know but..." She broke off as the ground began to tremble causing her to lose her footing.

Daniel was also knocked to the ground and for a split second everything went black. But then just as suddenly as it had started the trembling stopped and Daniel wasn't entirely sure if the momentary blackness had been real or imagined. "Okay, what was that?" he wondered aloud as he got to his feet. "Sam?" he called into his transmitter.

"I'm here. I don't know what happened," she answered. "But Daniel, the bones have disappeared."

"What? How?"

"I don't know. They're just...gone!"

*She sounds afraid,* he thought with concern.

"Daniel, I've got a bad feeling about this."

*Very afraid.* "So have I. Get out of there quick!" He began to run towards her position, suddenly eminently thankful for the automatic weapon Jack had insistently pressed into his hands as he'd left, 'just as a precaution'.

"I'm way ahead of you. Oh, my God! Daniel, they're..." Then there was nothing but static.

Daniel increased his speed. "Sam?" he called urgently into his transmitter. "SAM!" but to no avail. Static was his only reply. *Jack is going to kill me!* The thought went round and round inside his head as he ran frantically towards his friend.

Suddenly he heard a scream. It echoed around the rocks and sent a chill down his spine. He reached the outcrop and began to weave his way between the rocks. Was it his imagination of did some of them seem larger than before and in slightly different positions? However he did not dwell on it, instinct guiding him to the clearing where for some reason he was certain he'd find her, despite the fact that she'd said she'd already left there.

And he was right. He burst into the clearing horrified by the tableau unfolding in front of him. Samantha was lying on the ground pinned by a large Neanderthal while two others were engaged in battle off to the side.

"STOP!" he yelled at the top of his lungs firing the automatic weapon into the air. For a moment they all froze and then the two engaged in battle turned and charged towards him growling ominously. He aimed the weapon and pulled the trigger, firing continuously until they were both lying dead on the ground. At that point, the other one leapt to its feet and moved rapidly towards him. Mindful of the fact that Samantha was on the ground directly behind the monster, he waited until it was almost upon him before closing his eyes and aiming high.

A few seconds later he reopened his eyes to find it lying dead at his feet and his gaze shifted immediately to Samantha. She was covered in blood, clothing in tatters and struggling awkwardly into a sitting position. Daniel's eyes opened wide in horror and he felt a lump of lead settle over his chest as he realized exactly what had happened to her...all because of him.

He raced to her side and knelt down beside her, removing his jacket which he wrapped around her severely trembling shoulders. He had no idea what to do but Janet would know. Without further thought he scooped her up in his arms. She groaned and he muttered an apology as he began to head for the Stargate as quickly as he could. He had to take a longer route because he couldn't climb over the rocks with her in his arms and it seemed to take forever. Many times she groaned in obvious pain as he stumbled or changed his grip slightly. He knew he was hurting her but he didn't see any other choice. *God, Jack, I'll gladly suffer your wrath if she's okay. And I'll never leave her alone again ever, I swear. Please be okay, Sam. Please!*

Finally they reached the gate. He placed her down gently beside it with a whispered, "Nearly there, Sam, just hold on a little longer," before racing back to the DHD. He dialed the co-ordinates and reached for his GDO but to his dismay the chevrons just glowed and then went out. No wormhole appeared.

"What?" He stared in disbelief and for a moment there almost seemed to be two gates...one superimposed over the other. He blinked and refocused and everything looked as it should. "That was weird. Must have misdialed. Less haste more speed!" He threw a worried glance at his companion and redialed, taking special care to press the correct symbols, but this time nothing happened at all. There was no glow...nothing.

He took a deep breath. "Okay, so maybe it's engaged." He tried Tollana, followed by Vorash, Abydos and Chulak all to no avail. There was no reaction at all. It was like all the addresses had simply disappeared. "Or maybe we have," he said aloud.

He roused himself from his musing as he heard his name being called and raced back to Samantha's side, kneeling beside her. "It's not working, Sam," he explained in frustration.

"W...why n...not?" she managed and he was relieved to see that a touch of colour had returned to her pallid cheeks. There was a huge bruise forming on her left cheek and her right eye was swollen and partly closed but her face bore very few scratches for which he was momentarily thankful. It would not be permanently scarred, unlike... He closed his eyes for a moment as guilt overwhelmed him and then pushed it angrily aside. It was not helping Sam. He had to think!

"I don't know," he replied. "It doesn't appear to be malfunctioning...it just won't work!"

"T...try an...nother..."

"I have. There's nothing there." He was close to panic! He had no idea how to deal with this. She needed to get home to someone professional...someone like Janet, but he couldn't get her there. There had to be a way...something he was missing. *Think, Daniel, think!*

There was silence as they both tried to come up with a solution. Finally, Sam spoke. "C...can't s...stop sh...shaking!" she said in frustration "C...can't th...think."

"It's shock I think," he said trying to at least appear calm for her sake. "Plus it is getting a little cooler." There was no immediate way home so it was time to prioritize. What would Jack do? "I think we need to find shelter. Jack's cave! How are you feeling?" *Dumb question!*

"P...pretty aw...awful."

He accepted the obvious with a nod. "I'll try to be more careful this time," he said sympathetically. He scooped her up again and rose to his feet, inwardly wincing at her sharp intake of breath. "Sorry," he said apologetically as he made off in the direction he knew the cave to be in. "Oh God, Sam I'm so sorry," he whispered to her as he walked.

"D...Daniel?"

"Sh, don't try to talk."

"He...y...you g...got there in t...time."

There was no misunderstanding her meaning. "Thank God," he whispered in relief, cradling her body just that little bit closer and tighter. She groaned in protest and he immediately slackened his grip. "Sorry," he whispered again. "This is all my fault!"

She shook her head. "N...no. Just c...circ...cum... No." She shook her head again.

He shook his own head in negation knowing that Jack would not be so forgiving, nor would he expect him to be. In fact he would never, ever forgive himself.

They continued on in silence until they reached the only thing for miles that might be considered Jack's cave. Daniel settled Samantha on a rock against the wall at the mouth and then took a small flashlight out of his pocket and began to explore. It wasn't overly large; about four metres across, six deep and three high, but it was completely empty except for rocks, quite warm and well lit so that basically the flashlight was redundant. There were no markings on the walls that he could detect, but still it had to be Jack's cave, there were no others to choose from. A very frightening theory was beginning to form in his mind as he made his way back to Samantha. She seemed to be more alert, much to his relief and her tremors seemed less pronounced.

"This seems quite cosy," he said cheerfully. "Now to take care of you." He knelt down in front of her clamping down on all feelings except medical concern. "Um, Sam, you know I'm going to have to..." He apologetically indicated the front of his jacket she was clutching to keep closed.

She nodded, carefully avoiding eye contact. She knew this had to be done but it was still highly embarrassing even though she knew he was doing his best to make it as easy as possible for her. "G...give me a minute." She took a few deep breaths and eased herself back until she was leaning more comfortably against the wall of the cave. She rested the back of her head against the wall and closed her eyes, breathing deeply. Then she nodded with an, "Okay," and relinquished her hold on the front of the jacket.

Daniel took a mental breath, hating the need for this invasion of her privacy and tentatively parted the fabric pushing it aside. Underneath it her body was a mass of long scratches and bruises that had already begun to form. Some of the scratches still oozed blood and were quite deep and wide...too wide to have been made by fingernails, but most of them were only surface scratches and not as bad as he had at first feared. There were however many bruises consistent with a heavy pummelling and there were finger-sized bruises around her neck, arms and left wrist. He ran his fingers gently along her battered flesh, trying to be as clinical as he could, asking questions as he did so and then he helped her to turn around so that could check her back which appeared to have been as equally punished.

Eventually he was satisfied and helped to settle her comfortably again drawing the jacket closed in front of her. "Well, nothing seems to be broken and there doesn't appear to be any internal damage. You're going to be pretty sore for awhile but I'd say you're pretty lucky all things considered." He then tilted her head gently forward and turned his attention to the matted blood on the hair at the back of her head, wincing as he found the cause...a deep jagged gash. "Headache?" he asked. She nodded. "So let me guess, they fought over you?" He continued to run his fingers over her skull, locating several other large bumps as well but no more cuts.

She nodded again. "I think b...basically that's what saved me. They did NOT want to sh...share or perhaps they j...just all wanted to go f...first."

He finished his perusal of her head and moved to sit in front of her. "So what happened?"

Samantha closed her eyes again, willing herself to be calm and was happy to note that it was working...to an extent at least. She let out a breath and began. "I was g...going as fast as I could away from the c...clearing. For some reason I was just t...terrified. I knew something bad was about to happen. And then there they were in f...front of me." She paused opening her eyes. "It all happened so fast. One jumped me from behind and the two in front wrestled the gun away from me. I lost track of where it ended up although I remember it being used as a blunt instrument at one stage." She paused. "Then they started to fight over me. One would grab me and tear at my clothes and then the other two would attack him and I'd be caught in the crossfire or slammed against the ground or the rocks. I lost count of the number of times I was grabbed, but eventually the one who..." she grimaced, "he appeared to gain dominance. He dragged me back to the clearing...by the hair at first but he kept losing his grip."

Daniel winced suddenly understanding where some of the deeper scratches had come from. She put a hand up to her head and looked at Daniel with distaste. "You know I always thought that particular idea was a myth. Huh! Lucky it's so short or I doubt I'd have any left!"

He nodded in sympathy. "Go on," he encouraged.

"So then he dragged me by an arm...face down. The other two followed and then when we got back to the clearing the two of them started fighting each other, no doubt over who would be next." She paused again and Daniel nodded. It certainly all fit the widely accepted model of primitive behaviour.

"He grabbed me round the neck and pinned me against a rock while he studied me for a bit." She shuddered. "God, the breath was awful! Then he threw me to the ground and I must have hit my head on a rock because I think I lost consciousness for awhile...or maybe I just blocked it out," she said almost to herself looking thoughtful. Then she looked directly at him, "Anyway, the next thing I knew you were there firing at them. He'd almost..." She shuddered again and broke off looking away. But then she faced him again. "I'm just glad you arrived when you did."

"So am I!" he said sincerely. He stood up and walked a few feet away from her, thinking quickly.

"I did try to fight," he heard suddenly from behind him, her agitation coming through loud and clear.

He swung back and saw the fear in her face...fear that she had somehow disappointed him, or worse. He cursed the fact that he knew nothing at all about these matters. It hadn't even occurred to him that she would interpret his movement as a need to put distance between them as she obviously had. He moved quickly back to her side and knelt down taking her hand. "Sam, I KNOW you did," he said as reassuringly as he could. "But you didn't stand a chance in hell. No-one would have." He watched the relief fill her eyes, hating that he had to take her crutch away again so quickly but knowing that it really couldn't wait. He spoke quietly. "Um, Sam, look, I was just thinking, it seems like we're going to be here for awhile so I need to go back to the gate and collect some supplies. Luckily we didn't send FRED home with Jack and Teal'c."

A look of horror spread across her face just as he'd expected. "No! You can't leave me here."

"Sam, I HAVE to," he pointed out gently but firmly. "You need food, bandages, clothing and it'll be dark soon."

She shook her head frantically. "NO! What if there are more of them?"

"I'll leave the automatic with you," he soothed. "Your back is safe. You only need to watch forward and it's pretty open. If anything moves, shoot. I'll be as quick as I can...twenty minutes tops."

He started to rise but her hand snaked out and grabbed his arm. "Daniel, I can't do this," she said very near hysteria.

"Yes, you CAN," he stated firmly, trying to imbue her with confidence. "Sam, if I don't go those scratches are going to get infected. They need to be treated now." He loosened her grip on his arm and then took the weapon from his shoulder and pressed it into her trembling hands. "Sam." He waited until she met his eyes. "You'll be fine, Major," he assured her confidently, deliberately using her title for emphasis and then he smiled. "Just remember that I'm the good guy when you see me, okay?"

Suddenly she seemed to pull herself together. She took the weapon from him and slung it over her shoulder modesty forgotten, holding it at the ready. "What about you?"

Daniel reached behind his back. "I still have this," he said displaying the pistol. "I'll be fine too." He gave her a last probing look. "Ready?"

"Go," she urged. "But hurry."

"I will," he replied and quickly departed.

Arriving back at the Stargate almost out of breath from running, Daniel tried redialing one more time but got the same result as before...nothing. He eyed FRED critically and then decided against taking the whole thing this trip...too slow. Instead he quickly located what was paramount and headed hurriedly back to the cave.

He had almost reached it when the sounds of weapons-fire broke the silence. Immediately he dropped his booty and tore around the last clump of trees that would bring the cave into view. Samantha was standing there in her mostly naked state with the gun held firmly in her grasp while four skin covered bodies littered the ground, one directly in front of her and the other three at a reasonable distance. None of them were moving.

"Sam?" he called urgently as he approached, and as she seemed to recognize him the gun fell from her suddenly nerveless fingers and she sank to the ground sobbing. He raced to her side and took her trembling form gently in his arms, facing her away from the bodies. "It's okay, Sam, it's okay," he soothed. "You're safe...sh...you're safe. I'm here now. I'm here." He pressed her head to his shoulder and stroked her hair rocking gently back and forth murmuring softly and eventually her sobs decreased.

She pulled away from him swiping at her eyes and reached for the discarded jacket, which she wrapped modestly around herself again while carefully avoiding looking at the body near her feet. He waited until she seemed composed and then asked the question for the second time in an hour. "What happened?

She shook her head. "I'm not sure. I suddenly felt incredibly tired and I must have dozed off because when I opened my eyes, she was leaning over me." She deliberately avoided looking at him which was just as well because he knew she would have misinterpreted the look of horror on his face. "I didn't realize...I just panicked. I fired and when I saw the others I just kept on firing." She closed her eyes. "Daniel, I thought I heard a baby cry," she said, deeply distressed. "Tell me I didn't," she pleaded.

Daniel sat there for several long moments totally furious with himself. Delayed concussion! She'd had delayed concussion something that he'd never even considered. God, could he possibly get any more senseless today! These people were dead all because of his stupidity and Sam had been further traumatized. How much more could she take?

He got up slowly and scrutinized the body closest to them. She was definitely dead so he dragged her to the side of the cave out of sight. He then moved towards the others. They were all female and one had indeed had an infant clutched to her breast. It was dead now too. He felt an ocean of regret wash over him for the tiny being that had never had a chance at life. How could one man manage to wreak so much havoc in such a short space of time!

He dragged the rest of the bodies to the side of the cave, promising silently to give them a decent burial the following day and then he moved quickly back to his friend. She was still sitting exactly as he had left her and he eased himself to the ground beside her. For a split second he thought of lying but what would be the point? Besides it was an easy matter for her to check for herself. "They were all female," he said quietly, "and yes one had been nursing an infant, but..."

"Oh, God!" he heard her whisper as he rushed on.

"...Sam you were concussed. It wasn't your fault." He watched as several tears squeezed out from beneath her lashes. "It wasn't your fault, Sam," he repeated earnestly. "I shouldn't have left you alone." He waited feeling totally useless but she didn't respond and finally he realized that she wasn't going to. "I'm going to start a fire and set up camp, okay?" he said gently. Again no reply was forthcoming so he left her side and began collecting wood, which was fortunately plentiful in the immediate vicinity. He started the fire and then retrieved the supplies he had dropped earlier, setting up a tent inside the cave. He boiled some water and arranged the bedding and when all was ready he moved back to her side, crouching in front of her. Her expression was blank, her eyes open but staring blindly.

"Sam," he said gently, "we need to get you cleaned up." She didn't reply so he put a hand out and touched her on the left shoulder, the one place he knew she wasn't too badly hurt. "Sam? Come on. I'll help you if you like." Again she didn't reply. He closed his eyes and gathered his courage. "I guess it's up to me then, huh?" He opened his eyes and looked at her battered face. "I'd better apologize in advance because I've never done anything remotely like this before." He searched her eyes hoping for some kind of reaction but there was none. He sighed. "I'll do my best. I just hope it's good enough." And with that he picked her up and carried her into the tent placing her gently on the blanket.

He bathed her face first; cleaning the blood and dirt from the superficial scratches and grazes there and then turned his attention to her head, washing the blood from her hair and applying antiseptic to the rather large although thankfully not too deep gash. He stopped then, momentarily biting his bottom lip. He knew what he had to do...what had to be done, but it just seemed so...invasive, and so wrong without her permission even though she had shown earlier that she trusted him completely. It made things somewhat easier that she seemed to be completely out of it but that worried him more than anything else. She was acting exactly as she had when Jolinar had died...lost in a world of her own...out of reach, but here there was no Cassie to pull her out of it.

However there were more pressing matters so he took a deep calming breath and continued his ministrations, removing what remained of her clothing and cleaning and dressing her wounds, a couple of which gave him cause for concern and had she been at home would probably have been stitched. He did what he could with what he had on hand though and it took quite a while. By the time he had finished, much to his relief she was starting to respond to simple commands, no doubt having been jolted back to reality by the pain he knew his actions had to have been causing her. He assisted her to dress herself in clean clothing and she followed his instructions like an automaton, even to downing the painkillers he put in her hand but she did not speak.

Finally when darkness fell he left her inside the tent with instructions that she try to sleep. She closed her eyes obediently but he doubted that she'd actually sleep. He toyed with the idea of giving her a sedative but decided against it since he'd already administered painkillers and he wasn't sure if the two should be mixed. He vowed to himself that he'd brush up on his first-aid skills the moment they returned...if they ever did.

He positioned himself in front of the fire with the weapon at the ready, keeping watch, reliving the events of the day and feeling worse than he had felt since losing Sha're. His mind was full of so many conflicting thoughts and feelings. What was the secret of this planet? Were there other inhabitants or had they succeeded in wiping out the entire population? And what about Sam? Would she ever be the same again? Whatever the situation his irresponsibility was certainly the cause for much of what had occurred today. If only he hadn't been so interested in those damn bones! And what exactly had happened to them? Had they in fact come back to life? Had the planet somehow jumped back in time? That would explain why he hadn't been able to dial Earth and Tollana, which was a new address but what about Vorash, Abydos and Chulak? Surely they should have been around. Since the gate was still here the planet had obviously not jumped back to a time before the gate system had been created. And had there been two gates there for an instant or was that just his eyes playing tricks on him? And what about those marks Jack had seen on the wall of the cave? How did they fit in? What had happened to them? The horrible feeling he had felt earlier began to emerge anew. Had those marks in fact been made by he and Sam? Were they yet to make them? Jack had said there were a lot of them but how many was 'a lot'? Were they fated to be on this planet for the rest of their lives? The hours passed, all was quiet and the questions just kept going round and round in his head.

Suddenly he heard the sound of muffled sobbing. "Oh, God, Sam. I'm so sorry," he groaned as he made his way to the front of the tent. But as he put his head inside he quickly realized that the sounds were not coming from there. Sam appeared to be deeply asleep for which he was thankful, knowing that she needed it. So who was making them?

He turned his head and listened carefully. There it was again. He withdrew his gun and flashlight although he didn't switch it on because it was quite a brightly lit night and moved cautiously around to the side of the cave where he had earlier dragged the female bodies. As he sighted the corpses the sound of sobbing grew louder and he realized that a small figure was sitting beside one of the bodies. He switched on the light and was immediately met by a pair of terrified brown eyes. Before he had time to react the urchin had fled into the night. "No, wait," Daniel called. "I won't hurt you. I only..." He lowered his voice in resignation. "And why the heck should you believe me since we've successfully wiped out everyone else we've managed to come into contact with today." He grimaced. "Poor little thing must be scared out of its wits. Wonder if there are any others?" He shone the torch around in all directions but could detect no other movement.

Just as he was about to turn and move back to the cave, the silence was broken by a piercing scream. "Sam!" he cried in alarm, racing back to the tent at full speed, gun at the ready. But as he rushed inside it was immediately evident that there was no intruder. Samantha was thrashing about on the ground obviously reliving the day's events in nightmare form.

"No, no stop! Help!"

Daniel instantly emptied his hands and moved to her side. "Sam, it's okay. You're dreaming," he said loudly.

"No, don't touch me! Colonel! Jack!"

He put his hand tentatively on her arm, "Sam, wake up!"

Immediately she started thrashing her arms around connecting several times forcefully with his face. "Get away from me," she screamed. "Get away!"

He knew better than to try to restrain her, which would cause her to panic even more, so he quickly moved behind her head, grabbed her shoulders and shook her hard. "Sam, you have to WAKE UP!"

She screamed and twisted out of his grasp but then she stopped thrashing and was quiet.

"Sam?" he said quickly moving back to her side.

"Daniel?" she queried uncertainly.

"Yes."

"Oh, God!" She covered her face with her hands. "It was happening again!" she said emotively.

"I know," he said soothingly. "But it was only a dream this time." He settled himself more comfortably beside her and held out his hands. "Come here."

Samantha, who was shaking quite badly, didn't hesitate, moving quickly towards the comfort being offered.

Daniel wrapped his arms tightly around her, trying to calm her tremors with warmth and security. It hurt to see the normally so independent and no-nonsense Samantha reduced to such a state of distress...and for the third time that day! But to his dismay she struggled against him and he immediately let her go in confusion thinking that maybe he'd scared her further.

However she didn't move away. "Uh, not so tight, Daniel," she groaned.

"Oh, sorry," he whispered contritely against her hair as he took up a more relaxed grip. He should have known, damnit! Would he ever get anything right? "That better?" She nodded and for a few moments all was silent. Then overcome by his sense of guilt he whispered, "I am so sorry, Sam." He rested his head gently against hers. "I'd give anything for this not to have happened to you. I'll never forgive myself."

"It wasn't your fault," she said sincerely. "None of this was. Blaming yourself is pointless."

"I should never have left you there alone in the first place. It was selfish and irresponsible."

"We have a dangerous job, Daniel. I was aware of the risks when I signed on. Things happen."

"Yes, but..."

"Yes but nothing. I made the choice to remain behind. And who the hell could have predicted that those bones would have come back to life?...if that's what happened." She was beginning to feel more like her old self but she was reluctant to move away just yet. Besides, instinct was telling her that Daniel needed the physical contact even more than she did at the moment.

She settled herself a little more comfortably. There didn't seem to be a part of her that didn't ache in some way but she could bear if for the present. "So what's your theory as to what happened?"

Daniel apprised her of his thoughts of earlier and she nodded. "Good theory. I agree that a jump back in time is a logical possibility but for the gate not to work at all I think we must have phase shifted as well. That would explain why you thought you saw double and it's probably a good thing."

"Phase shifted? As in alternate reality?"

"Sort of. It just means that we're out of step slightly with our universe."

"And this is a good thing?"

"In a way." She could feel his puzzlement. "Well, think about it. Even if we were able to gate somewhere else it would be to the past so what would be the point. We still couldn't get home and there's the possibility that we might end up in a Goa'uld stronghold."

"Good point. But what if the Goa'uld decide to come here? We're sitting ducks!"

"No, you see that's the point. I don't think they can because..."

"...we're out of phase from the rest of the universe. If we can't dial out..."

"...then no-one else can dial in either. Although of course you do realize that this is all just speculation on my part."

"It makes sense though. And it could explain why this planet was unreachable initially. Perhaps it has some kind of cycle it goes through. So...?"

"How long do I think we'll be stuck here?" He nodded. "I have no idea."

"But we will jump back eventually?" There was no reply. "Sam?"

She pulled away and shrugged. "I hope so."

Daniel looked at her feeling strangely bereft. "So about the marks. We must be the ones who made..." He stopped and corrected himself. "...will make them. It's a pity Jack didn't give us an estimate of the timeframe we're looking at."

"He said there were 'a lot'."

"Yes, but we both know Jack tends to exaggerate, right? So..."

"Even a few would mean days...weeks. A lot would mean months...even years."

They both fell silent at the implication and then Daniel said, "Well, in that case I'd better make sure I mark today...I mean yesterday," he amended as he realized it had begun to get light outside, "as day one, which will make it seem that there are 'a lot' of marks there just that little bit sooner. Every little bit helps."

Samantha smiled slightly. Trust Daniel to find a way to make things seem a little brighter. "Why don't I do that?" she suggested. "I'm sure you could use some sleep seeing as you've been up all night."

"What about you? You didn't exactly get a lot yourself. How are you feeling by the way?"

"Pretty dreadful actually but better than I'd anticipated. Besides, I don't exactly relish the idea of sleep again right at this moment."

Daniel nodded. "Okay. I have to admit to feeling decidedly weary." He picked up the automatic and handed it to her. He then removed his glasses, which he placed near the tent wall above his head and began to stretch out on the floor of the tent. "Wake me if you need me," he said before he closed his eyes.

"I will. See you in awhile."

"General, I'm telling you that's impossible!" Jack stated emphatically. "The gate was working perfectly half an hour ago. How can it suddenly be not working?"

"See for yourself, Colonel," General Hammond replied reasonably. "There's the dialing program. The seventh chevron will not lock."

"Well, try again."

"We have, Colonel," the technician spoke. "Three times. It's the same result each time."

"Well, try a fourth!"

"Colonel!" Hammond admonished.

"General!"

"Colonel O'Neill, I understand that you're concerned for your friends, we ALL are, but there is nothing to be gained by continually dialing an address that isn't responding."

"No, Sir, I guess not," Jack deferred although reluctantly. "So what are WE doing to determine why it isn't working?"

"I have a team working on that right now. They should have a report and recommendations to me within the hour. In the mean time, Colonel you should return to the infirmary so that Doctor Fraiser can finish plastering your ankle." Jack had left the infirmary prematurely when he'd heard that the gate wasn't working after Teal'c had sought and received permission from General Hammond to return to the planet to assist the others.

"Yeah, I'll get there eventually."

"That wasn't a suggestion it was an ORDER, COLONEL!"

For a moment Jack looked mutinous but then he nodded realizing that there was really nothing he could do anyway. He nodded. "Yes, Sir," he said quietly.

"I WILL keep you apprised, Colonel."

"Yes, Sir. I know you will." He turned and headed off on his crutches.

Hammond motioned to Teal'c who had been standing silent throughout. "Go with him. And Teal'c, see that he stays there this time, at least until Doctor Fraiser has finished with him."

Teal'c inclined his head. "I will, General Hammond. Colonel O'Neill is only concerned about his team-members. As am I."

"I know, son. We all are. I'll be straight down as soon as we have any news."

Teal'c inclined his head again and departed.

Hammond sighed. He understood why Jack was so concerned. Protocol was put in place to avoid compromised situations but it didn't stop people from developing personal feelings regardless. He hoped the situation would be resolved quickly and favourably for Jack's sake but his gut feeling was that the opposite was a far more likely possibility.

"So how's the patient, Doctor?" General Hammond inquired.

"Charming as ever, General," Janet replied tongue-in-cheek.

"Is he ever any other way?" Jack asked with nonchalant innocence. Janet rolled her eyes but refrained from comment. "So, General," he continued, "what have we got?"

Hammond got straight to the point. "According to our experts there are three possibilities.

One: The gate has been damaged or buried which seems unlikely from what you and Teal'c have told me.

Two: There's something blocking the gate...as in a large object between us and the gate which is preventing the establishment of a wormhole or

Three: The gate has moved to a different location."

"But it's on a planet, for crying out loud," Jack said plaintively. "How can a planet move? No, strike that. How can the planet move so FAR as to be suddenly unreachable in half an hour?"

"I don't know, Colonel," Hammond replied, "but if it IS three then there's nothing we can do about it."

"What about one and two?"

"If it's one then basically it's up to Major Carter and Doctor Jackson to fix the problem at that end. But if it's two we might have a chance."

"We should try dialing the gate from another location," Teal'c stated thoughtfully.

"That's correct, Teal'c."

"I volunteer for this mission, General Hammond."

"Thank you, Teal'c, I knew you would, but I needed you here..."

"To baby-sit me!" Jack put in acerbically.

"I've already dispatched SG's7 and 8 to different locations. We should be hearing back from them at any time."

"And if it's not two, General?" Jack asked.

Hammond held out his hand in a gesture of futility. "Then I don't see what else we can do, Colonel."

"What about that superheated air thing Carter used when I was...?" He broke off as Hammond shook his head.

"That worked because the wormhole could still be established. In this case we have nothing to work with."

"Okay so..."

He was cut off as the communications system spoke. "Incoming wormhole. General Hammond report to the gate room."

"Wait here," Hammond instructed as Jack made to get off the bed.

"Like hell! I mean..." He threw an appealing look at his Doctor. "Janet?"

"There's really nothing more I can do for him here, General," Janet stated matter-of-factly.

"Sir?" Jack pleaded.

"Very well. Just go carefully on those crutches. We don't want..." He broke off shaking his head in acceptance as Jack preceded him rapidly from the room, Teal'c at his heels. He looked towards Janet who shrugged philosophically.

"Perhaps you'd better accompany us, Doctor just in case."

Janet nodded, mentally thanking Jack for his actions that would put her in the gate room. She was very worried about Sam and Daniel. She and Sam had been friends almost from the start, bonding together as females in the male dominated world in which they chose to work. But lately she had begun to see Daniel in a whole new light as well. She very much doubted that it was reciprocated in any way. She knew that on many levels he was still grieving for his wife but life did go on so there was hope for the future...especially if Jack O'Neill was anything to go by. If the rumours were true, and she had no cause to doubt them, Jack had loved his wife very much. But somehow he had gotten over her and he now had feelings for Sam, which were very much reciprocated. It was a pity they worked so closely together. Romance was taboo in their situation. But it didn't stop them from having feelings for each other anyway. She remembered how lost and worried Sam had been when Jack had been stranded that time. She'd worked tirelessly to find the solution.

She broke off her musings as she realized the General was waiting for her and quickly grabbed her medical bag and preceded him from the room.

The returnees turned out to be SG8 followed quickly by SG7, neither team having had any luck in establishing a wormhole with P3C692, much to the bitter disappointment of all present.

"So what now?" Jack demanded later when he was alone with the General in his office.

"Now we wait and hope that Doctor Jackson and Major Carter are somehow able to return on their own."

"And that's it? You call that a plan?"

"There's nothing else we can do, Colonel, except try the co-ordinates every so often. If you recall the planet was unreachable at first as well. Perhaps it moves in and out of range in some sort of cycle, I don't know. But we're not giving up."

"I know, General, it's just..."

"I UNDERSTAND, Jack," Hammond said sincerely and Jack knew that he really did.

"Yes, Sir." A sudden though struck him. "Have you sent word to her father?"

Hammond shook his head. "I don't see any point in worrying Jacob unnecessarily. For all we know they could be back at any time." Jack nodded. There was silence for a moment and then Hammond added, "Why don't you try to get some rest, Colonel. There's nothing either of us can do right now."

"Yes, Sir." Jack turned and moved crutch-assisted to the door.

"And Jack..." Hammond waited until he'd turned back to face him. "We will see them both again."

Jack nodded. "Yes, Sir," he said quietly before exiting the room.



The sun was high in the sky when Daniel poked his head out of the tent feeling somewhat refreshed. He positioned his glasses and looked around. "Sam?" he called as he emerged.

"Here," came the answer from behind the tent.

He moved towards her. She was sitting cross-legged on the ground. She had a small stick in her hand and appeared to be writing in the soft sand that was plentiful there.

She looked up at his approach, immediately noticing the discolouration around his left eye, while he took in the similar condition of her right one and her bruised cheek. "Did I do that?" she asked contritely.

"I never did get the hang of that ducking thing. Colourful is it?"

"A little. Sorry."

He shrugged nonchalantly, "At least we'll match." He took up a position beside her on the ground. "So what are you doing?"

"Trying to figure out what made the planet shift like it did."

He looked at the jumble of numbers and letters drawn in the sand, none of which meant anything to his untrained eye. "And?"

"And I have absolutely no idea."

"Are you sure? I mean all of these...calculations look terribly meaningful to me." He pointed towards one set. "Especially this bit here. Are you sure this bit doesn't explain it?"

Samantha suddenly laughed and then groaned. Daniel was instantly concerned but she waved it away with her hand. "It's okay, I'm fine. Just don't make me laugh. It hurts." After a moment she added soberly. "You know you sounded just like the Colonel there for a minute."

"Well, I guess he does have a tendency to rub off on a person. Whether or not that's a good thing..." He left the sentence deliberately up in the air. He took in Samantha's wistful expression and placed a sympathetic hand on her arm. "I'm sure we'll be seeing him again soon."

She nodded. "Of course we will."

"Knowing Jack, he's probably got the entire SGC working overtime on the problem right now, broken ankle aside."

"It won't help though because the problem's on this end."

"They won't give up on us, Sam," Daniel said quietly.

Samantha knew he was effectively saying "Jack won't give up on you," and she smiled at him gratefully. "I know. And one day that gate is going to work again and we'll just stroll on through and surprise them all."

"Yes, we will. So...what have you been up to this morning?"

She indicated the wall and they both rose to inspect her handiwork. She had scratched their names in capital letters, his first and hers underneath. Then she had written the date followed by a single tally mark. "I put in yesterday's date since Jack said he'd seen a two and yesterday was the second. I figured we'd mark off the calendar at the end of each day."

Daniel nodded his approval. "Very nice," he said sincerely.

"Thank you. I haven't done much else though because any kind of movement is still pretty painful. I checked on your handiwork by the way. Most of the scratches seem to be healing although I'll have to get you to check the ones on my back. And my head."

He nodded. "What about the one...?" he indicated across the top of his own chest. "It seemed the worst. Plus that one," he indicated down the inside of his upper thigh. "That looked pretty deep."

Samantha knew that he was only concerned and he'd obviously already seen everything but she felt herself blushing just the same. "Um, they're both pretty sore actually but I'll keep a close eye on them."

Daniel nodded. He knew it was embarrassing for her but good health was a top priority to survival. "So would you like me to check your back now?" he offered.

She nodded and together they moved to collect the first aid kit. She sat on a rock at the mouth of the cave where the light was better and unbuttoned the loose-fitting jacket he'd assisted her into the night before, while he stood behind her. She still wore nothing beneath it because it was too painful. She hesitated for a moment and then took a deep breath and removed it completely to allow him easier access, because really, it was pointless being shy now. She held the jacket in front of her and then nodded her readiness.

"Is the back as colourful as the rest of me?" she asked in an attempt at humour to try to ease the awkwardness that she knew he had to be feeling equal to her own.

"Oh, I'd say it'd make a pretty decent paint pallet," he replied trying for a light reply but failing miserably as he assessed the damage and realized that very little of her skin was the correct colour. His guilt came through loud and clear and Sam bit into the flesh on the inside of her mouth wishing she knew a way to alleviate it, at least a little. However she doubted that anything she might say would help right now. Perhaps in time...it was after all supposed to be a great healer of all things.

His hands were gentle but sure as he worked and she recalled how he had taken care of her so carefully the day before, although much of it was really just a blur. She was deeply ashamed of spacing out like she had. "I never thanked you for what you did yesterday," she said quietly. "Taking care of me, I mean."

"I only did what anyone would have done."

"Maybe. I know I wasn't much help. I'm sorry. But you have a surgeon's hands, Daniel. Perhaps you should have been a doctor of medicine."

*You're sorry! God, don't apologize. This is all MY fault!* "I don't think so," he said slowly, punctuating each word. "The sight of blood makes me squeamish."

"You're kidding!"

"Nope. That's one of the reasons I took up archaeology. There's very little chance of finding anything bloodied since everything's been dead for centuries." He gave a last deft little pat. "All done. Everything looks fine."

"Thank you." She pulled the jacket back on turning to face him as she buttoned the last few holes. "I never would have guessed that about you especially after..." She broke off but he mentally filled in the blank.

"Well, you'd better believe it. And you'd better hope that we find edible plants around here otherwise if it's left up to me we'll starve!"

Samantha laughed and then groaned and finally smiled. "Don't worry, I'm quite capable of skinning rabbits. Speaking of which, you must be hungry."

They spent the rest of the day in the vicinity of the cave. The first thing Daniel did was bury the bodies by covering them with stones to make one big grave. Two of the females had been pregnant he noted sadly, a fact which he chose to keep from Sam since he knew she already carried enough feelings of guilt. She declined to go anywhere near the bodies but she did fashion a cross out of wood and vines which he set into the top of the pile. He wondered whether to tell her about the urchin but decided not to for the present. After all they might never see it again.

He knew that Samantha wasn't up to a trip back to the gate and there was no way he was leaving her alone again so for the rest of the day they explored the area close to the cave. They found a clear, free flowing stream about a metre and a half deep, which abounded with life, just a few minutes walk away. They also found several trees and bushes that bore fruits and berries. They collected some for contemplation and returned to the cave.

By nightfall Samantha was practically dropping from exhaustion but she was extremely reluctant to retire which was understandable. Finally Daniel suggested that she sleep by the fire while he kept watch, an idea to which she finally agreed. He thought she'd fallen asleep but suddenly she spoke into the darkness.

"I'm a murderer," she said flatly. "I killed those women in cold blood. And the baby. They were probably just curious, but I killed them."

"It wasn't your fault," Daniel answered. "I should never have left you there alone. You were concussed, scared. You weren't thinking straight."

"There's no comfort in that for them, is there? They're dead. If I was at home I'd be standing trial now."

*Not on your own you wouldn't!* "If you'd been at home this wouldn't have happened," he pointed out quietly.

"Murder is murder anywhere though isn't it." It wasn't a question.

"You didn't plan it. It wasn't murder."

"Manslaughter then...not a whole lot of difference. The result is the same. And a baby's still a baby."

He didn't answer because try as he might he couldn't dispute that part and she knew he couldn't.

"How am I supposed to live with this, Daniel?"

*How am I?* "I don't know," he answered truthfully, feeling her pain as well as his own.

"Neither do I." For a long time he knew that she lay there awake, but eventually she fell asleep.

For several hours all was quiet. The planet seemed to have days and nights similar in length to tropical Earth. There were two moons and the stars were so clear with no other lighting around to compete with, just like on Abydos. Daniel studied them for familiar patterns, remembering happier times as he kept watch and then suddenly he heard the same quiet sobbing as he had heard the night before. This time he moved quietly without gun or flashlight towards the grave. He crouched on the ground several metres from where the urchin sat and reached out a hand. "Don't be afraid," he said quietly.

Immediately the child sprang to its feet and looked towards him. "I won't hurt you...see." He turned his hand over to demonstrate that it held nothing. The child made a fearful sound and then turned and fled. It stopped momentarily and looked back as if to see if it was being followed but then it turned and vanished into the night again. Daniel rose to his feet shaking his head in frustration. "Here I am, an accomplished linguist who speaks twenty-three languages and I can't communicate anything other than fear to this child. Damn!"

He walked back to the fire thoughtfully. Was the kid alone? And if it was, how the hell was it going to survive? He'd have to mention it to Sam. Perhaps she'd have better luck in enticing it to stay. And if she could, perhaps it could help assuage her feelings of guilt a little. He looked down at her sleeping form. They had agreed to share the watch from now on and he was beginning to wilt, but he was loath to wake her while she was sleeping peacefully. He'd give her a little longer. Besides he could always sleep in the daytime. He took up the silent watch again.

The next thing he knew he was awakened by Samantha crying out. There followed a repeat of what had happened the previous night except that this time he managed to keep his head out of the firing line. After he had calmed and comforted her she took over the watch and that became the pattern for the next few nights.

And so the days passed. He told her about the child but they didn't see it again although Daniel was sure it stayed close by, watching them. They started leaving fruit and berries out beside the grave every night. The fruit disappeared but the berries were never touched. They weren't sure if that was because they were more easily accessible to it than the fruit or if it knew them to be poisonous but it decided them against eating the berries themselves.

By day they stayed together close to the cave until Samantha felt well enough to venture further. Unfortunately that took longer than anticipated since several of the scratches particularly the one on her thigh became infected, which made walking difficult and extremely painful. She bathed them daily declining his help and treated them with anti-bacterial cream from the first-aid kit and eventually when they were all sufficiently healed they began to explore.

FRED was collected first as were both of their backpacks although by tacit agreement they never went back to the scene of the attack even to look for the gun. A more permanent camp was then established. Daniel set up another tent for himself but it was only ever used for dressing or storage. Samantha did not like being far from Daniel at any time, no matter which of them was asleep and Daniel was quite happy with such an arrangement not wanting to let her out of his sight in case another catastrophe should befall her. It was not something they spoke about but rather a pattern they just fell into, again by tacit agreement.

Gradually as the days went by it became apparent that they were alone on the planet except for the urchin and there was no other life larger than a small rabbit. It seemed to indicate that the inhabitants had not evolved naturally but had been placed here by persons unknown perhaps as part of some kind of experiment. However while the gate remained inoperable they felt relatively safe and so they stopped keeping watch, sleeping in front of the fire or if it was cooler or raining, inside the tent, but always together. Samantha's nightmares decreased but Daniel never left her alone for any length of time day or night. Wherever one went, so did the other, their easy camaraderie developing into a much deeper and closer friendship strengthened by the bonds of necessity and shared experience.

One night Daniel woke up to find himself alone in the tent. He looked out of the flap and located Samantha sitting with her back to him in front of the fire they always left burning, having stoked it up to a blazing mass. Still it was quite a cool night. He took a thermal blanket off the pile of bedding and ventured out, calling her name softly so that she wouldn't be startled by his approach. She turned towards him but not before swiping at her eyes first.

*Damn, she's upset!* he thought in dismay. *I shouldn't be intruding.* But it was too late for a discreet withdrawal. "I thought you might be cold," he said quietly wrapping the blanket around her shoulders.

"Thank you," she whispered, her hand contacting his in a gesture of appreciation.

There was an awkward silence and then Daniel said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. I'll leave you to your thoughts."

"You're not," she replied quickly. "It's just..." Suddenly she couldn't speak as tears clogged her throat again. She covered her face with her hands and Daniel knelt beside her putting a comforting arm around her shoulders.

"It's okay," he whispered.

She sobbed quietly for a few moments and then she forced herself to speak.

"Sometimes it all just seems too much to handle and...and I really miss him so much." She turned so that she was facing him and pressed her face to his chest. He put both arms around her in silent comfort. There was no need to ask who 'he' was.

"I know, Sam. I understand," he said softly stroking her hair gently. "When Sha're was first taken I used to cry myself to sleep every night. There was this empty place in my heart and I felt as if I would never be whole again." He paused. "But then I realized she could never truly be gone, not while I still held the memories of the times we spent together. So I remembered the good times and it kept me sane...that and looking for her of course. When she died I went through it all again." He paused "Even now there are moments when I miss her so badly I..." He broke off unable to continue.

"Oh, Daniel," Samantha whispered compassionately hearing the quaver in his voice and knowing that his eyes would be full of tears. "I never realized..." She broke off. "I mean I knew but..." She fell silent shaking her head slightly.

Daniel released her and stood up, moving away and wiping at his eyes. "The memories are strong here for some reason," he said when he'd composed himself again. He stared up at the sky. "It's the stars, I think. They're so bright, just like on Abydos. Sha're and I used to study them together looking for patterns from the cartouche and then of course we'd...sleep," he smiled "beneath them." He fell silent for a while and then turned back towards her. "So you see, I do understand."

Samantha looked at him soberly for a few moments and then shook her head. "It doesn't compare...I mean my feelings to yours. You were married; you shared one another's lives. The Colonel and I...we've never even..." She broke off awkwardly.

"But the feelings are there. I never did understand all that protocol stuff and why it's frowned upon. You can't turn off your feelings just because it's inconvenient. You're just as entitled to have them as anyone else." He paused. "And as for sharing lives, I would think that you and Jack...all of us, spend more time together than most 'couples'. So of course you're going to miss him. Hell, I even miss the man and I bet you never thought you'd hear that from me!"

Samantha laughed through her tears. "Daniel, you are truly one of a kind, do you know that? Of all the people to be stuck on a planet with I'm glad it's you."

"Are you crazy? I can't even clean fish!" he said self-deprecatingly. "Surely you would have wanted someone a little more...you know...competent. Like Jack for instance."

"Hell no! Could you imagine him being stuck here? He's an action man and there's not much of that to be had around here. He'd be like a caged tiger. He would have driven me mad within the first week!"

"You could have a point there. Teal'c then."

She shook her head. "All that meditating? No, thank you. Who would I have had to talk to all day?" She rose holding the blanket to her and moved towards him. "Nope, I scooped the pools with you, Doctor Jackson." She kissed his cheek. "Think I'll go back to bed now. Coming?"

He smiled at her, a smile tinged with nostalgia. "In a while."

"Okay," she said softly, with understanding, taking the blanket from her shoulders and wrapping it around his.

He smiled his thanks and then she left him to his thoughts...his memories of his wife.

Jack looked up from his book as a knock came on his door. "Yeah, come in, it's open."

Teal'c poked his head inside to find him lying on his bed with a book resting on his chest. "May I speak with you a moment, O'Neill?"

"Only a moment? Take as many of them as you like. I don't seem to have anything else to do." He gestured with annoyance at his plastered ankle.

"Did I not observe you reading just now?"

Jack picked up the book. "You mean this?"

"Is it an enthralling tale?"

"Hardly!" He showed Teal'c the cover. 'Theoretical Astrophysics for the Layman' "That's another word for 'dummy'." He pointed at himself.

"Is that not Major Carter's field of expertise?"

"It is. I just thought if I could understand a little it might help me to..." He broke off. "Oh forget it." He threw the book to the bottom of the bed. "Stupid idea anyway," he muttered. "So Teal'c..." He smiled at him although Teal'c frowned in slight puzzlement. "What can I do for you?"

Teal'c's brow cleared. "General Hammond has suggested to me that since I am not needed here for the moment, I should take the opportunity to visit my son."

"Oh, do you HAVE to?" Jack appealed.

"You do not wish me to leave, O'Neill?"

Jack pulled a face and then shook his head. "I'll just miss the company that's all. A week and I'm already stir-crazy."

"You miss Major Carter. I am merely a poor substitute."

Jack stared at him, flabbergasted for a moment by his implicit honesty and the fact that he had hit the nail right on the head. "That's not true, Teal'c. I just like having you around, that's all." He gestured with his hands. "But go. Don't mind me. Go see Ry'ak. I'll still be here when you get back...right here. Probably still trying to get through the first page of that book."

"I do not get many chances to visit my family, O'Neill."

"No, you don't," he agreed quietly. "So go." He made the hand gesture to match. "Go on...shoo."

"Perhaps Major Carter and Daniel Jackson will return while I am gone. Then you will have company again. I will instruct General Hammond to send word if this is so, so that I might return and see them also."

"Now that's lookin' on the bright side!"

"Is that not the side on which we should always look, O'Neill? You do not think they will return so quickly?"

"It's already been a week."

"SGC teams have been missing for far longer and have returned unharmed. I believe this will be true of Major Carter and Daniel Jackson also."

Jack looked at him seriously for a moment. "You really believe that?"

Teal'c inclined his head. "I do."

Jack smiled. "Feel free to drop in any time, Teal'c."

Teal'c raised an eyebrow. "How can I drop in if I am no longer here?"

Jack's smile broadened. "When you get back. Have a nice trip," he said sincerely. "Say hi to Ry'ak for me."

"I will, O'Neill." And with a nod he took his leave.

Jack stared after him for a moment and then reached for his book again staring down at the title. "Well, he's right about one thing. I do miss Carter. Is there anyone who doesn't know?" His eyes lost their focus and an image came into view instead...an image of Samantha trapped behind that forcefield and the words echoed in his head, *I'd have rather died myself than lose Carter.* He shook his head slowly. *First Charlie, then Sara, now... I can't lose her too. I WON'T.* "Come back soon, Sam," he whispered.

"Are you okay, Daniel?" Samantha asked while they were having breakfast one morning about six weeks after they'd arrived. Usually he tucked into his food with great gusto but this morning he'd barely touched it.

"Actually no, I don't feel very well at all. Headache." He massaged his temples with his fingers. "Had it yesterday too but it seems to be getting worse."

"Why didn't you say something?" Samantha chastised gently. "I could have done the wood collecting and made dinner last night. Did you take something for it? We still have painkillers."

He shook his head and then winced. "Ow, shouldn't have done that."

"I'll get you some," she volunteered.

"No, it's okay. Keep them. We may REALLY need them at some stage. Think I'll go and lie down for a while though. Will you be okay?"

She nodded. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. You get some rest. I'll check on you later."

He nodded wincing again at the pain and then crawled into the tent.

Samantha watched him in concern. Up until now they'd both been in perfect health. Daniel hadn't even needed his allergy medication as there didn't appear to be anything on the planet to which he was allergic, which as he said made a nice change. However that did not mean there weren't viruses or other organisms present. She was already living proof that there were bacteria and who knew what types of diseases were simply hanging around in wait of a host?

Two hours later when she checked on him she was quite concerned to discover that he was running a fever. Immediately she collected some paracetamol tablets from the first aid kit and insisted that he take them. However they didn't seem to help at all and the fever escalated as the day progressed. She began to apply cold compresses to his forehead and as the fever continued to rage, with a little help from him she stripped him down to his boxers so that she could sponge his entire body. She kept a bedside vigil because she didn't know what else to do, trying to cool the heat from his body and force water down his throat as he began to slip in and out of consciousness.

By midday he had become delirious, thrashing around as he called out in a hoarse voice. Her name was called often, along with warnings and apologies. So was Jack's, along with pleas for help and more apologies. She'd known he'd felt guilty about everything that had happened to her but she'd had no idea just how deeply that guilt ran. He'd said he'd never forgive himself and now she realized that he hadn't spoken the words lightly.

At other times, in quieter moments he would call for his wife. The longing in his voice was so strong that it always brought tears to her eyes. Sometimes she would even try to soothe him by pretending to be Sha're, just as she had once done for Jack, pretending to be Sara. She hoped it might help a little but it didn't. Nothing seemed to help at all and his condition continued to deteriorate.

By mid-afternoon he had lapsed into a coma and she sat by his side absolutely terrified. If he died she didn't know what she would do. She'd never cope on her own...she was still too emotionally fragile. "Damn it, Daniel you have to get better!" she said angrily. "After saving my life you can't just up and die on me. I won't let you." She leaned down close to his ear. "Fight it, do you hear me? Fight!"

She wished desperately that Jack was there with her. He wouldn't know what to do either but he always inspired her to do her best, his presence calming in tight situations and that was what she needed, far more than any physical comfort his presence might give...although that would be nice too. She suddenly remembered her first conversation with him. "Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside, doesn't mean I can't handle whatever you can handle." The words echoed round in her head. She had thrown down the challenge at their initial meeting and had done her best to live up to it ever since. At first it had been a matter of pride but gradually that had changed as admiration and other feelings had entered the equation. The most important factor to her now was not letting him down. So far she felt she had succeeded. But maybe this was more than she could handle. Maybe this time it was just beyond her and it wouldn't really be letting him down because... She suddenly closed her eyes and gave herself a mental shake. Yes it would! It would be letting him down because he cared for her and he'd expect her to do everything in her power to make it back to him safe and sound. And she would NOT let him down. Besides Daniel was NOT going to die.

She got up and collected some fresh water and a clean cloth and began to bathe her patient again. The silence was deafening and she almost wished he'd re-enter a delirium state. Nightfall brought no change and she lay beside him listening to him breathe. Several times it seemed as if he'd drawn his last breath and she would hold hers waiting, releasing it in a rush when he dragged in another. It seemed like he was fighting a losing battle but one in which he was not giving in easily. She turned on her side and rested her head against his arm, not wanting to add extra heat to the furnace that was his body but needing some form of contact. She placed her hand tentatively over his heart feeling its erratic beat and then decided to leave it there. If he WAS to draw his last breath here then at least he would not be alone. He might not know it but she would, and it might be of comfort to...whom? Daniel had no family or close friends. He'd lost the great love of his life. SG1 basically WAS his life. The tragedy suddenly hit her. Daniel was such a kind-hearted, caring man and yet his death would affect very few. There was basically no-one to really care if he lived or died. It was so unfair! But surely there had to be someone out there who could appreciate this man...someone with whom he could find happiness again...in time. But time was the enemy. Silent tears began to slide down her cheeks and she wrapped her arm right across his chest trying to give him strength. "I care, Daniel. I care," she whispered. "Please don't die. Someone out there needs you. They just don't know it yet. And I need you now."

The hours passed slowly. Every so often she would rouse herself to sponge him down again but she always took up the same position when she had finished. At one point she must have dozed because when she roused herself it seemed that his breathing had eased a little and his heartbeat had settled into a rhythmic pattern again. He was still hot with fever but it seemed as if it had cooled a little. Hope took up residence as she sponged him once more before settling herself beside him again.

Finally, as dawn was breaking she felt a movement and lifted her head. "Daniel," she said hopefully, moving herself onto her knees so that she was kneeling over him.

"Sam?" he whispered back forcing his eyes to open. He tried to focus but it was too hard so he let them close again.

"How are you feeling?"

"Thirsty."

Immediately Samantha reached for the canteen. "Here," she said, lifting his head and holding the canteen to his mouth. More spilt and ran down his chest than actually went into his mouth but he swallowed a little and then coughed. She allowed his head to relax back down and put the canteen beside him.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"You've given me quite a scare, you know," she told him sternly.

He managed a ghost of a smile. "Sorry. Tired."

"Then sleep. It's what you need."

He gave a slight nod and complied almost immediately.

Samantha watched him for a moment feeling a relief greater than she had known for a long time. Then she lay down beside him in the position she had occupied all night and joined him in dreamland, neither of them stirring again until the sun had almost completed its journey across the sky.

Daniel opened his eyes and blinked several times to get his bearings. A memory tried to force its way into his consciousness but he just couldn't grasp it. He was in the tent, but he somehow just knew it wasn't morning. So why was he here? Because he'd been sick, that's right. Headache. He focused his attention on his head. It felt muzzy but the searing pain he remembered had gone. He then started to notice other things; his mouth was dry and nature was calling rather urgently. But as he was about to move to remedy the situation he realized that he was not alone. Samantha was sort of draped across his bare chest, which puzzled him for a moment and then made him smile. Although far from unpleasant it was a position he had certainly never imagined her in, clothed or otherwise. She must have been really worried about him. He searched his mind for any memories but the last thing he really remembered was her sponging him down. Had that been just this morning or had more time elapsed?

He suddenly had a memory flash of the time he'd been trapped in Machello's body. Sam had been very upset when it had looked as if he wasn't going to make it and had begged him to hold on. "It's good to know you don't just like me for my looks," he had said to her. He smiled again as he recalled the look in her eyes. She had the most expressive eyes of anyone he knew or maybe he just knew her better than he'd ever known anyone else before, even Sha're, whose eyes had rarely been filled with anything other than love and adoration. Whatever the facts of the matter, it had been nice to know that Sam had cared back then, just as it was now, especially since there was no longer anyone else who did.

He lay there for awhile, refusing to feel sad, enjoying the warm feeling that just having her close gave him, rationalizing it partly by the knowledge that she obviously needed the sleep, which made him wonder just how long he'd been sick. However the call of nature was getting stronger and eventually he knew that he would have to wake her.

Just as he was about to do so she stirred on her own. "Sam," he said quietly.

"Mm," she murmured and then suddenly she was more alert. "Daniel!" She moved so that she was able to look at him, studying him critically.

"Sleeping Beauty," he acknowledged with a smile.

She blushed slightly and sat up beside him. "How long have you been awake?"

"Not long," he lied.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, not sure that she believed him but not really caring.

"Much better thank you."

Her smiled broadened "You're certainly looking it."

"How long was I sick?"

She glanced around realizing that the sun was about to set. "About thirty-six hours," she said soberly, her smile gone.

He nodded. And she'd no doubt been there the whole time. No wonder she'd been sleeping!

"I was worried," she admitted and looking into her eyes he could see exactly how much.

"Sorry," he said quietly. And he was...sorry that she'd been through yet another traumatic experience because of him.

She suddenly smiled again as relief hit her once more. She leaned over and grabbed the canteen. "Thirsty?"

He nodded. "But first I need to..." He broke off but she immediately understood and moved out of the way. He sat up slowly. He felt a little dizzy but that quickly passed.

"Okay?" she asked solicitously.

He nodded and then carefully made his way out of the tent with her at his heels. She assisted him to stand and he again experienced dizziness but only for a moment. He took a few deep breaths and then gave her a reassuring smile before moving off slowly but ably in the direction of their latrine.

Samantha watched him with feelings of relief and gladness. She had come so close to losing him. She wondered whether he realized just how sick he had been. However it was all behind them now. Perhaps she'd break out that last chocolate bar she'd been saving, knowing that he'd appreciate it as much as she would, but she'd wait until he was really better so that they could both enjoy it to the max! She smiled in happy anticipation waiting for him to return.

Daniel recovered quickly from his illness although he tired easily for the next couple of days. They both fully expected Samantha to come down with whatever it had been as well but for some reason she didn't. They speculated on reasons for this, from natural immunity to a legacy from Jolinar, but it was all just conjecture. Somehow it had just passed her by and for that they were both eminently thankful.

"So, General, what's the go?" Jack asked as he made his crutch-assisted way into the control centre.

"We're just about to dial it up," Hammond replied with a nod to the technician. *As if you didn't know!* Jack had been there at the same time every morning for the past two weeks to oversee the operation.

"Dialing now, Sir," the technician acknowledged.

There was silence in the room as the computer performed its task, each of them watching with baited breath. However just as before, on every other occasion the seventh chevron refused to lock and the hope faded from all faces.

"We'll try again tomorrow," Hammond stated neutrally. "When Teal'c calls give him the standard message," he said to the technician who nodded. He turned and began to walk out the door but was stopped by Jack's voice.

"General, permission to stay and chat a while with Teal'c when he calls." Teal'c made contact daily about ten minutes after the scheduled dialing of P3C692.

Hammond swung around and looked at him for a moment. "Colonel, you really should be at home resting that ankle...doctor's orders. I heard them."

Jack grimaced. "C'mon, General. How can I sit at home when my team's out there? Could you?" Hammond didn't reply although they both knew what his answer would be. Jack pressed his advantage. "I need to be here."

Hammond nodded. "I know," he said softly. "Permission granted. Oh and tell Teal'c he might as well stay there for another week. There's nothing pressing we need him here for and we'll contact him if there's any news."

"A WEEK?" Jack groaned.

"Do you have a problem with that, Colonel?"

"Yeah, I have a problem. First of all it means you're not expecting Carter and Daniel back for at least that long and secondly shouldn't he be here...I don't know, planning strategies with other SG teams or SOMETHING?"

Hammond smiled inwardly knowing that Jack was just plain missing him, along with the rest of SG1 but nevertheless he went through the explanations regardless of the fact that Jack knew them just as well as he did. "Firstly, even if Major Carter and Doctor Jackson were to return today SG1 will be out of commission until your ankle has healed anyway. And secondly, Teal'c deserves as much time off to spend with his family as he can get. You know that, Colonel. You can't really begrudge him that time."

Jack grimaced. "No, I know," he admitted softly, "it's just so damn quiet around here at the moment."

Hammond nodded thoughtfully. "It is at that." He paused, an idea forming. "Why don't you join me in the commissary for some coffee after you've spoken with Teal'c? I just need to finish some paperwork and then I could use a break."

"Charity for the lower ranks, General?" Hammond gave a slight smile but didn't answer. "Whatever, I'll take it. See you there." Hammond nodded and departed while Jack took up position next to the technician.

"Won't be long, Sir," the technician said. He glanced sideways at Jack and then ventured tentatively, "We all miss them, Sir."

*But not as much as me!* Jack thought, however he nodded. "Yeah, I know," he said with a slight smile, which made the technician glad that he'd spoken up and had him casting round in his mind for something else to say. Colonel O'Neill and his team were heroes to him and he wished, like just about everyone else at the SGC, that there was something he could do to get them reunited again. However before he could think of anything appropriate the gate began to light up.

"Incoming wormhole," he called into the communications system to the troops who were already in the gate room in anticipation of Teal'c's call. Jack watched the computer for the GDO code. "Receiving SG1 authorization code. Stand down." He glanced towards Jack. "Opening iris." Then he turned towards him. "It's all yours, Sir."

"Thank you, Sergeant," Jack replied and then he reached for the microphone. "Teal'c, old buddy. What've you been up to?"

"Three months exactly." Daniel added the mark to the tally the same as he did every night before retiring. He eyed them critically. There didn't really appear to be 'a lot' there yet, at least probably not the 'lot' that Jack had seen. There was certainly room for 'a lot' more.

He sighed and took the blanket from around his shoulders and lay it on the ground in front of the fire. The weather had turned quite cold a few weeks back. As the nights had become colder they had moved the tents to the back of the cave so that the fire could be inside the cave producing better heating.

One night when he'd been restless and had gotten up to have a drink, he'd surprised the small naked form that had been asleep beside the fire. It had taken off immediately but he'd gotten a pretty decent look at it. It was a male about four or five years old by Earth standards and without clothing of any kind was no doubt feeling the cold.

The following night he and Sam had lain awake to see if he'd reappear and he had, curling himself up beside the fire. They'd christened him Mowgli for lack of a better name and from then on they'd taken to leaving a blanket by the fire for him as well as the food by the grave. The food was always gone but now sometimes there would be something left in its place: a flower, a smooth pebble or a piece of driftwood. He smiled at the memory of Sam finding that first flower. It had been big and red, rather like a hibiscus and she had worn it tucked behind her ear all day. He wondered whether Mowgli had seen. Later she pressed it between the pages of her journal. There had been others since but he often caught her looking at it in her writing time and wondered what she was thinking. Was she perhaps wondering if she'd ever have children of her own? He sighed hoping that she hadn't lost that chance because of him.

He looked out at the stars that seemed so familiar now and yet he had no idea where in the universe they were or indeed in which universe. It was a clear night although cold and there was a soft scent from one of the fruit trees on the breeze. It had been a pleasant day as most of their days were. They'd made the usual trek to the Stargate where Sam had checked that everything was working as it should. They'd done some washing in the river. He'd even managed to catch a fish that Sam had cleaned and he had cooked for dinner. He'd worked on his catalogue of native flora and fauna while Sam had fashioned some pots from clay they'd found in the river. Then they'd both worked on the chart of the night sky before Sam had deemed it time for her to retire. Although she hadn't had a nightmare in weeks he knew her dreams were still haunted because they continued to share the same tent, something neither had felt any desire to change, spooning together in their separate sleeping bags to maintain body heat when it was cold. He would really miss that aspect of this existence when they returned home. Sleeping alone was just so...lonely.

He felt her move to his side and slipped an arm around her waist, drawing her close for warmth. "Still stargazing," she said quietly.

"Amongst other things. You know, Sam, we've been exceedingly blessed here. I mean imagine being stranded somewhere like Antak or Netu or countless other worlds we've seen."

"Don't even think it!"

"But doesn't it make you wonder what's out there, right now, in this time...this phase whatever? Are there Goa'uld? Is there life on Earth? Does Earth even exist?"

She nodded. "I have thought about it from time to time and I've wondered whether we should try dialing some addresses at random, just to see what would happen. I mean, there could be gates out there that are connected, just on different worlds. We exist somewhere so theoretically there should be other civilizations out there as well. Perhaps the Ancients used this planet to enter this different phase. Perhaps they used it as a springboard to move on to bigger and better things. Maybe this is where they are now. Who knows?"

"Who indeed? Do you think...?" he broke off. "Did you hear that?"

Samantha nodded. "Mowgli?"

"If so he's hurt." He reached into the fire for a burning stick and they made their way quietly around to the grave from where Mowgli always collected his food. There they found him lying on the ground with his foot twisted at an odd angle. There was a broken branch beside him, which seemed to indicate that he had fallen out of the tree beside the grave.

"Oh, poor thing," Samantha whispered as he looked at them like a terrified doe caught in the headlights.

Daniel handed her the stick and began to move slowly towards the child who tried to get up and run only to fall back to the ground with a grunt of pain. "It's okay," Daniel said soothingly. "I'm not going to hurt you. Sh...sh. It's all right." He stopped just out of reach and held out his hands, turning them over to show they were empty. "See, I won't hurt you." The child was visibly shaking with shock and fear and probably cold and tried to back away whimpering softly. "Sam," he said softly, "do we have something to knock him out with?"

"Good idea." She placed the stick on the ground and vanished for a few moments while he continued to speak soothingly to Mowgli. "This shouldn't hurt him," she said softly as she returned and moved in beside him. Mowgli did not react adversely to her approach, a fact they both noticed.

"Maybe it's me," Daniel whispered. "You try." He moved backwards a little and Samantha pocketed the syringe and held out her hand. "It's okay," she said softly, "I only want to help you. Come here." She made a beckoning motion with her hands, which she repeated several times. "Come on." Much to her surprise and certainly Daniel's, the urchin moved onto his knees and crawled towards her. Seconds later she was carrying him into the cave.

"Must be a male/female thing," Daniel said in amazement as he followed with the stick-torch, "which of course would probably make sense seeing as the males and females were segregated when we met them. Males were the hunters, females the gatherers and nurturers."

Samantha knelt down on the blanket in front of the fire and lay Mowgli gently upon it. He whimpered a little. "It's okay," she whispered as she stroked his long, tangled, black hair. "You're going to be fine. Sh...sh." She kept stroking his head until he seemed to relax. He stopped whimpering and his eyes closed and then she took the syringe out of her pocket and handed it to Daniel. "Tranquilliser," she mouthed. "In the thigh if you can."

Mowgli's eyes snapped open but she kept stroking and they closed again. Daniel acted swiftly. Mowgli's eyes sprang open immediately the syringe pierced his skin. He growled and struggled but then he lay still.

"Poor little tyke," Daniel murmured. He looked at Sam. "Now what?"

"Now we set and splint that ankle."

"Can you do that?"

"I think so."

"Wait, wasn't that what you said you weren't so good at?"

She gave him a half smile. "Not exactly. Here, give me a hand and I'll explain." As they worked she gave him a few more details of her and Jack's adventure in Antarctica that he hadn't heard before. "I thought we were goners for sure that time. You really saved our butts. And there that should do it." She gave the ankle a last gentle pat and wrapped the blanket around his sleeping form. "Do you think we should move him into the tent?"

"Not sure. It might scare him to wake in a strange place. But if you're there..."

"Put him on my side then do you think?"

"Um, no. Maybe I should sleep in the other tent since I tend to scare him."

"NO!" Her immediate vetoing of his suggestion surprised them both as did the fear in her tone. For a moment neither spoke.

"Okay," Daniel said quietly, "how 'bout we put Mowgli in the other tent since he'll probably be out to it till morning anyway?"

Samantha nodded and Daniel promptly picked up the sleeping child and deposited him inside the spare tent taking time to remove the items they wouldn't want him touching and placing them out of sight. When he had finished he crawled into the other tent beside Samantha who was already snugly ensconced in her sleeping bag.

"You must find this whole dependency thing of mine very annoying," she said quietly as he crawled into his own sleeping bag.

"Are you kidding?" he replied. "How else would I get to snuggle up to a beautiful woman every night?"

"I don't know why I'm still so afraid. I haven't had a dream in weeks and I know there's nothing out there. It's just..." She broke off unable to adequately explain.

He leaned over her. "It's okay, Sam. I'm sorry you still feel this way. I thought...I'd hoped that you were over it but you can lean on me for as long as you like. I'm sure as hell not complaining." He paused. "I'm actually going to miss this when we get back," he admitted honestly.

She gave a slight smile. "You said 'when'. You sound so positive."

"Aren't you?"

"I don't know. Sometimes I am but other times..." She sighed. "It's not such a bad existence here is it?"

"No. No it's not."

"Like you said before we could have been a lot worse off. So maybe I should stop pining for the life I knew and all I'm missing and just enjoy the present. Like you're doing."

"There's merit in that, especially since you've just been handed a new challenge. But just because I've embraced the life here it doesn't mean that I've forgotten or abandoned the other. I've experienced an alternate lifestyle before which I guess probably makes things a little easier for me. You haven't." He looked into her eyes. "Accept what you can't change, yes, but never give up on what's important to you because that's who you are. This is just a small detour to make sure that you know."

Samantha smiled. "You are an amazing man, Doctor Jackson, do you know that?"

"How do you figure that? Amazingly stupid?" he asked with one eyebrow raised. "I am the one who got us stuck here, remember!"

"How could I EV-ER forget!" Samantha stated in perfect melodramatic style accompanied by the 'exaggerated indrawn gasp of breath' and the 'thrown back head with the back of the hand on the brow' gesture.

Daniel laughed despite himself. "I wish you wouldn't DO that. How am I supposed to wallow in self pity when you do that," he complained.

"That's the idea," she said with a smile. It was a trick she had used before to try to shake Daniel from his tendency to blame himself for everything...and the best bit was it usually worked! "Now as I was saying, we've been here practically joined at the hip for three months and there are still sides of you that I've never seen."

"And this is a good thing?"

"I think so."

"Then keep that thought and let's get some sleep." He lay back down. "Tomorrow's going to be somewhat different to what we've been used to and something tells me you might be seeing a whole different side of me again."

"Oh?"

"My 'I don't think I'm very good with young hurt, Neanderthals' side."

"Sounds like a load of crap to me."

"Watch your language, young lady! Sleep now."

"Yes, Sir."

He laughed. "Oh, my 'commanding side' showing, is it?"

"Needs a little work though." She turned on her side and he spooned in behind her.

"Maybe you'll give me some pointers."

"It could be arranged...for a fee."

"There's always a catch isn't there?" He gave an exaggerated sigh. "But while we're handing out the compliments, I think you're a pretty wonderful woman yourself, Miss Carter, acting ability aside. The things you can do with dead animals!" He leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "But don't let it go to your head. Goodnight." She made to make a retort but he stopped her with, "Uh uh! I said goodnight. Go to sleep!"

"Yes, SIR," she replied and they both chuckled.

"For crying out loud, Janet, just take the damn thing off!" Jack said in exasperation.

"I'm sorry, Colonel. I know it's been four weeks but the bones have not knitted well enough yet."

"Should've let Carter put a splint on it," he muttered dryly.

Janet wisely refrained from comment, as normal. "Anything new re Sam and Daniel," she asked quietly, changing the subject.

Jack shook his head. "General Hammond put in a call to the Tok'ra yesterday. Jacob said they know nothing at all about that particular planet and have no ships anywhere near it. He naturally asked to be kept informed though." He paused. "And of course they still dial the gate first thing every morning but so far..." He broke off.

"They're resilient and resourceful people, Colonel, plus they had extra supplies."

"I know. Plus it didn't appear to be a hostile environment. I'm sure they're all right. I just wish they'd come home!"

"Me too."

Something in her voice made Jack really look at her. She was staring down at her notes and he took the time to study her face, suddenly remembering the little scene he had witnessed between her and Daniel just before they'd left. He'd teased Daniel at the time but maybe there'd been more to it than he'd realized. "How's Cassie taking it?" he asked quietly.

"She's holding up pretty well all things considered. Um, Colonel, why don't you come over for dinner tonight? I know she'd love to see you. It'd help cheer her up."

Jack smiled. "Best offer I've had all day! Thanks Janet, that'd be nice. Haven't been off base since..." He grimaced.

She nodded. "I know. So...anything special you'd like?"

Jack considered for a moment. "Anything that doesn't taste like commissary food is fine with me. Oh and no yoghurt. I ate enough of that while Urgo was here and I don't even like the stuff."

Janet smiled. "Definitely no yoghurt. Cass doesn't care for it either, although she does eat it if I dish it up occasionally. See you at seven?"

Jack nodded. "Sure and Janet um...I'm sorry I've been such a lousy patient."

Janet smiled again. "It's okay, Colonel. I'll forgive you...this time. I'll see your ankle again in a week. In the meantime you know the drill. Stay off your feet as much as you can..."

"Et cetera, et cetera. Yeah, I know. Boring!" He propped himself up on his crutches. "You know this is going to sound crazy but there are times when I almost miss Urgo...almost!" Then he turned and left the infirmary leaving Janet staring thoughtfully after him.

"Six months today," Samantha voiced for them both as Daniel made the mark on the calendar.

"And that would be pretty accurate wouldn't it?" Daniel asked. "I mean the cycles on this planet ARE almost identical to those on Earth."

"Give or take a few minutes or so," Samantha said with a nod.

"Just checking," Daniel said as he stood back to admire his handiwork. "There's `a lot' of marks there now!"

Samantha stared at them silently for a few moments and then she ventured, "You know, Daniel it occurs to me that we must get rescued eventually or surely the Colonel would have found something of our camp. FRED for instance." They both turned to look at the mobile carrier that was permanently parked against the opposite wall.

"That's a good point. And if you recall, Jack said the marks were on the WALL, singular, not walls plural."

They both turned back towards the calendar. "Still room for 'a lot more' here though," Samantha said matter-of-factly.

"A LOT more," Daniel agreed. They looked at each other with a half smile of resignation and then Daniel asked, "So in or out of the tent tonight?"

Samantha considered momentarily. "Out I think. It's not too cold and both moons are out."

"Out it is then," Daniel agreed. He moved to collect the sleeping gear while Samantha walked over to the sleeping Mowgli who always preferred to sleep out except in the rain. She knelt down beside him. He looked so peaceful in repose and she stroked an errant lock of hair fondly. It had taken quite a while to tame their little Neanderthal. Not that he was tame exactly, just tamer! He'd fought them, especially Daniel every step of the way. They'd both suffered severe scratches and bites so that they'd been forced to clip his nails very early on and regularly since. Daniel had held the squirming mass whilst Samantha had performed the operation and Daniel had been only half-joking when he'd suggested that she pull all his teeth while she was at it.

Mowgli had resisted all efforts to clothe him until she had hit upon the idea of fashioning a type of loincloth from a few animal skins she had collected. He'd seemed pleased with that and it was the first time they had seen him smile.

While his ankle had been mending...and what a battle keeping the splint on had been...Mowgli hadn't been able to go anywhere which had really frustrated him. Daniel had tried to carry him down to the river for a bath and a change of scenery one day but had been severely bitten for his trouble. It was the first and only time she had seen Daniel angry since they'd been on the planet. He'd unceremoniously dumped Mowgli back on the ground calling him an `ungrateful little brat' and had stormed off to the river to bathe his profusely bleeding arm. Mowgli had crawled around to his mother's grave where he had sat sobbing until she had coaxed him back with some fruit.

Daniel had returned some time later all contrite and ready to make amends although with no idea how. She had bandaged the bite-covered arm and when Mowgli had seen it he'd looked from it to his own bandaged ankle seeming to identify with it. He'd pointed to it and then at his ankle. Daniel had smiled. "Yes, hurt," he'd said gently. Mowgli had pointed again and Daniel had repeated the word. Then Mowgli had moved forward and almost touched Daniel's arm with his finger. "Hurt," Daniel had said again. Mowgli had touched his own leg. "Hurt," Daniel had repeated. Mowgli had then looked from the arm to the ankle again and had then sat down in front of Daniel and offered up the piece of fruit he'd been holding.

"Um, thank you, I think." Daniel had taken the fruit, broken off a piece and popped it into his mouth before handing it back. Mowgli had hesitated and then repeated Daniel's actions. In this manner they'd shared the fruit until it was gone. "Now what?" Daniel had asked her out of the corner of his mouth when Mowgli had continued to sit watching him.

"Try drawing in the sand," she'd suggested. So Daniel had and after careful consideration Mowgli had copied exactly. "Very good," Daniel had proclaimed. Mowgli had looked up with the hint of a smile and gestured for Daniel to do more. And that had been the start of a beautiful friendship.

Daniel had kept his bandage on until Mowgli's ankle had healed which hadn't been totally unnecessary since several of the bites became infected. She would treat Daniel's arm first and then Mowgli was much more amenable to her treating him afterwards. The sand drawing sessions had continued on a daily basis. She had joined in and Daniel had quickly turned it into an opportunity to teach her hieroglyphics. They'd even tried rock painting using the juice from several berries. At first Mowgli had been reluctant to try, preferring to eat the berries although carefully avoiding the red ones, which answered the question they had had concerning their edibility. However after a short time he had got the hang of it and seemed to enjoy it as much as, it not more than, drawing in the sand.

The day his ankle was finally better Mowgli had gone off on his own for the entire day perhaps in an endeavour to show that he was independent. They'd been worried about him but he'd returned that night for his meal and his usual place beside the fire.

After that he usually stayed close to them. They'd frolic in the river, go for long walks or just draw and paint. Life was simple and carefree except that Mowgli still had a penchant for tree climbing which scared her a little.

"Relax," Daniel had said when she'd voiced her concerns to him. "It's his natural environment. He was just unlucky that the branch broke."

"But what if another one breaks?" she had asked fearfully. She'd been surprised at the depth of feeling such a thought had evoked.

"Then we pick up the pieces again, just like other parents do," had come the quiet reply and in that moment she had realized that as highly unorthodox as it might be, they had indeed become a family and quite a happy one at that. She still had the odd bad dream, mainly about crying mothers and dead babies rather than her attack, but since Mowgli had accepted her and Daniel, even those were becoming less intense.

"I don't exactly have any pennies but will this flower do," Daniel offered as he came up behind her, shaking her from her reverie. He held a small, purple, daisy-like flower out towards her.

"Where did you get this?" she asked as she rose to her feet and took it from him.

"In the tent. I'm guessing it's a present from your not-so-secret admirer." He inclined his head in the direction of the sleeping form. "Although when he put it in there I have no idea." He watched as she held it up to her nose and took a sniff. "So care to share or not?"

She smiled a trifle sadly as she cradled the flower in her hands. "I was just wondering what will happen to him when we go home. We can't leave him here."

"I don't know if we can take him with us either."

"You don't think he'll cope? But he's intelligent, we've seen evidence of that even though he hasn't spoken."

"Perhaps that's a choice he's making...not to speak I mean."

"Why would he do that?"

"Maybe as a way of retaining his individuality...his own identity. He knows he's different from us. He might want to keep it that way. Or he mightn't want to become too attached."

*Like I have,* she thought.

"Yeah, me too," Daniel said softly. She looked at him in surprise and he smiled. "It wasn't too hard to guess." There was silence as they both watched Mowgli sleeping.

"They'd put him in an institution, wouldn't they?" Her words were quiet, sad, resigned.

"That would be my guess," Daniel agreed.

"He'd never cope with that...being so confined. Hey, maybe we could get Janet to adopt him," she said brightly.

"A brother for Cassie. Think she'll go for it?"

"It's possible, just not very probable," she finished gloomily.

Daniel threw an arm around her shoulders. "We'll figure something out, Sam don't worry. As Master Bra'tak is so fond of saying, we will..."

"...cross that bridge when we come to it," she finished with him.

"That's right!" They shared a companionable smile. "Hey, aren't those moons pretty tonight. It's such a pity Earth only has one, don't you think?"

Samantha smiled again and nodded allowing herself to be led towards her bed. *I could really love this guy,* she thought fondly, *if it wasn't for Jack.*

"Thank you, Colonel. That was a most delicious meal," Janet said sincerely.

"Yes, it was, O'Neill," Teal'c agreed.

Jack accepted the compliments with a gracious nod of his head. "It's the least I could do after you treated me a couple of weeks back...now that I can walk again! And of course that's thanks to you as well. I'm sorry Cassie couldn't make it though."

"So was she. But she'd been looking forward to astronomy night at school for weeks. Guess you could say she's more interested than most in what can be seen out there."

"I bet. So, coffee anyone?"

"Not for me, O'Neill. I must return to the SGC. General Hammond requires my assistance with several matters."

"Sure, Teal'c, no problem. Thanks for coming. I'll see you tomorrow."

Teal'c inclined his head. "Good night, Doctor Fraiser."

"Good night, Teal'c."

Jack walked with him to the door and returned to see Janet collecting up the dishes. "No, no, leave that," he ordered, waving her aside. "We'll take coffee in the lounge." He saw the hesitation. "You are staying for coffee?"

"Actually, Colonel," she began but broke off when she saw the pleading look he threw her. He obviously wanted company. "Sure I'd love some," she finished with a smile.

"Good." He led the way to the lounge. "Make yourself at home," he instructed, before leaving her alone. She heard the sound of dishes being stacked and decided to wander round the room for a few moments to allow the food to settle.

There were photographs on a shelf; his wedding to wife Sara, a family shot of the three of them and an enlarged copy of a smiling Charlie. There was also one of SG1 which rather surprised her. She hadn't thought there'd be many of those floating around. Perhaps she'd ask him if she could get a copy. She picked it up and looked at it closely. They were all in uniform with Teal'c wearing a hat to cover his forehead and they were all smiling, even Teal'c. She smiled fondly as she looked at Daniel. He really was quite handsome and he had the biggest, kindest heart of anyone she knew. She sighed. They were all such good people. Would they ever be all together again as a team, or indeed in any capacity at all?

She heard Jack approaching and quickly returned the photograph, picking up the one of Charlie instead.

Jack put the tray on the coffee table and looked towards her. "My son, Charlie," he volunteered as she replaced the photograph.

"Good looking boy," she said sincerely, carefully avoiding past tense. She moved towards a seat.

"Yes, he was," Jack agreed quietly, before instructing her to help herself.

A few minutes later they were both relaxed, sipping their aromatic beverages. "So, Colonel," she began but he waved the words aside.

"We're off duty. It's Jack, please."

She nodded. "Okay then, Jack, you're back on the active duty list tomorrow."

He nodded. "And not before time...um no disrespect intended," he was quick to add.

"None taken," she said with a smile."

"Teal'c and I get our new team members and SG1 is back in business."

"How do you feel about that...the new team members I mean?"

"Ah, not good. We've been a team for a long time. It won't be easy adjusting to new members."

"Any idea who?"

"I would have expected Rothman except that he's no longer with us." He pulled a face. "The guy used to annoy the crap out of me but he did not deserve what happened." For a moment they were both silent remembering Robert's very recent fate. "So anyway, they'll probably just move in a pair from another team who are already used to working together. After all it's only a temporary thing."

"You still believe that?"

"Yes, I do." *I have to!* "Don't you?"

"I'm not sure what I think to be perfectly honest. I mean I want to believe they're okay..."

"Believe it! I was gone for...how long was that? And I came back."

"Yes, you did," she admitted with a smile."

"So why shouldn't they? Hmm?"

Her smile broadened somewhat. "You know, Jack you really don't deserve the title of Mr. Pessimistic I've heard bandied about."

"Who's pessimistic? I'm Mr. Positive, just ask Daniel...well Teal'c then," he amended with a grimace.

There was silence for a moment and then Janet quietly brought up the person he'd carefully avoided mentioning all evening. "You really miss her, don't you."

"Are you kidding? I even miss Daniel and I bet you never thought you'd hear me say that. Just don't let on to him that I said it though, will you." Janet didn't reply forcing him to sigh and close his eyes allowing his head to rest against the back of the chair. "Yeah, I miss her," he admitted softly. "After Sara I never thought..." He broke off shaking his head. "But she has this way about her. She's so smart and clever and did I mention smart?" He opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling for a moment. "I have to believe she's coming back. I don't think I could go through all that again."

He sat forward after a few more moments of silence and placed his cup on the coffee table. "You know there are times when I'm just so angry with Daniel." He got up and started to pace. "I mean it's his fault they didn't return with us. If he hadn't been so damned interested in those skeletons. SKELETONS for crying out loud!" he said with emphasis, looking directly at her. "What could a skeleton possibly tell him that could be so Earth-shattering?"

Janet just shook her head, knowing that he didn't really want an answer. He just needed to get it off his chest.

"I mean it's dead!...long dead! What use is it? And he never should have left her there alone in the first place!" He paused, calming himself a little. "But he did, and I'm sure it was Carter's idea just as he said. I know how stubborn she can be. And she sounded so excited when she asked for more time." Again he paused. "So at the same time I'm glad as all hell that he's there with her...that she's not alone...that he insisted I send him back to her because whatever happened must have happened quickly. And if we'd just waited for her like I'd wanted to, perhaps I'd have been forced to give the order to leave without her and she'd have been stuck there on her own. I mean who knows what happened." He threw his hands in the air in a gesture of futility. "We have NO idea. It's just all so..." He made a frustrated sound and moved towards the picture of SG1, which he picked up, staring down at it.

Janet got up and moved to his side so that she could view the picture also. "It's natural to try to assign blame in circumstances which are adverse or out of our control. It's also natural to have ambivalent feelings. These are healthy responses." She paused, searching for the right words. "But the truth is, no matter what happened to them, it was just circumstances. No-one's at fault here."

"I let them stay," he said flatly.

"You made an informed decision based on what you knew at the time. That's the best any of us can do at any time. Trying to second guess yourself is futile." She put a hand on his shoulder. "We should just be grateful that they are together and I just bet they'll have an interesting tale to tell when they return."

"It had better be enthralling, that's all I can say." He returned the picture and looked towards her. "So, Doc, what do you say to some more coffee?"

"I'd love some, Colonel," she replied and they moved back to their seats.

*Nine months,* Daniel thought as he sat beside the river with Mowgli, trying to spear a fish. It seemed such a long time and yet in other ways it didn't seem long at all. He was amazed at how easily he'd taken to his new life. It had such a charming simplicity to it which he'd embraced head on, having never really known a carefree existence as a child being orphaned at a young age as he was. For that reason he identified greatly with Mowgli and did his best to try to make the child happy. Which wasn't really hard!

Naturally of course there were times when he was nostalgic for the old life and times when he needed a little more mental stimulation than the simplistic lifestyle provided, but he'd basically solved the latter by taking lessons in astrophysics from Sam. She sure was `way smarter' than he was and a great teacher. Already he felt he was beginning to master the basics and she had become quite proficient with hieroglyphs. Lately they'd taken to leaving little messages for each other using hieroglyphs in the sand. Mowgli copied them proficiently but he didn't appear to attach any meaning to them at all. To him they were just drawings.

He glanced at his little fishing companion who was studying the water with eagle eyes. He still hadn't spoken a word although they were both convinced it was by choice. They'd tried over and over to get him to say their names but he would just smile at them. Still they did communicate with him after a fashion. Mowgli had an extensive range of grunts that were quite expressive. He seemed to understand much of what they said, or at least the gestures that went along with them and there was plenty of gesturing going on from both sides. He seemed to particularly like Sam and why not? Sometimes he and Sam would sing songs and nursery rhymes around the fire encouraging Mowgli to participate. Mowgli would sit close to Sam smiling and listening but he never tried to join in. Then as he got tired he would move his blanket and curl up beside her, close but not touching. It was always Sam who had to initiate the contact. She would stroke his head and he'd make contented little sighing sounds until he fell asleep.

Sometimes when they were out walking Sam would put her hand out towards Mowgli but he'd never take it. He, on the other hand had no such compunction and would sometimes slip between them and take it himself, swinging their arms exaggeratedly as they walked. Samantha would usually shoot him a mock glare and then they'd all end up laughing about it, especially Mowgli. At other times he would hold his hand out to Sam, who would look at Mowgli and then take it with a smile. They'd then walk along thus connected. Initially he had done it just to model the behaviour for Mowgli but now more often than not he did it because he enjoyed the warm feeling such a connection gave him and since she never refused or pulled her hand away he hoped that she liked too.

Mowgli seemed to enjoy his life even though he never willingly made physical contact with either of them no matter how much they tried to encourage him. He couldn't help wondering if that was natural behaviour or a learned response from experience. In many ways it was fascinating observing Mowgli's behaviour and he was documenting it in detail but Mowgli was far more than just a subject for study...far, far more. As for Sam, he knew she viewed caring for Mowgli as penance in a way and it helped alleviate some of the guilt she felt at what she'd done to his mother and possibly sibling. But he also knew that just like himself she loved Mowgli for what he was; a child who needing nurturing...their child.

Suddenly Mowgli made an excited sound at his side. A fish of about the required size had stopped in the water just below them. Quickly Daniel got to his knees and leaned forward. He raised the wooden spear he had fashioned but just as he was about to lunge forward he felt a push from behind and toppled into the water. When moments later he emerged spluttering and coughing it was to see two laughing figures on the riverbank.

With retribution foremost in his mind he climbed out and moved menacingly towards them. They both chose to flee but they did not get far. Mowgli found himself in the river very quickly. (He was an accomplished swimmer after a fashion.) It took a little longer for him to catch Samantha though, but eventually he managed to grab her and slung her over his shoulder. He carried her back to the river amidst much protesting and pleas for clemency and the clay that had been on her hands since she'd been fashioning clay figures, was rapidly transferred with great efficiency to his already wet hair and clothes. So by the time he dumped her unceremoniously into the river, he needed a bath himself so he followed her in. There they frolicked for some time until they were worn out and then they dragged themselves out onto the riverbank, stretching out under the warm sun to dry off.

A short time later Daniel heard a rumble from Samantha's stomach and sat up. "I think a storm must be coming," he said blithely. "I hear thunder."

Samantha sat up and punched him playfully in the arm. "Well, someone HAD promised me a fish!"

"And whose fault is it that I didn't get it?" he retorted. He then gave a sigh of resignation. "Guess I'd better have another go. You stay right there!" he told her sternly.

She gave him a salute. "Yes, SIR!"

He gave her a mock glare. "I get no respect around here." Then he gave another exaggerated sigh. "Come on, Mowgli. We know our pla..." He broke off and touched Samantha's arm lightly. "Hey, Sam look at this."

'This' was Mowgli kneeling by the river with Daniel's spear in his hands. As they watched he raised it in the air and drove it forward, the momentum carrying him into the water right along with it. They rose and moved towards the water anxiously but almost immediately his head bobbed up to the surface, spear still clutched in his hand. He raised it in the air and gave a whoop of triumphant because there on the end was a nice-sized fish.

"And that's how it's done," Samantha stated pointedly. Daniel laughed and then they both cheered and clapped as Mowgli looked proudly towards them. He climbed out of the water and presented the stick ceremoniously to Samantha.

"And I think his meaning is perfectly clear," Daniel said smugly. "Stop goofing off, woman, get back home where you belong and cook your men folk's meal."(Which was really quite funny since although Sam usually CLEANED the fish, Daniel usually did most of the cooking, a fact Mowgli also knew quite well.) They both chuckled. Mowgli looked from one to the other and then joined in.

A few minutes later Daniel collected up all their dunnage and they turned to head for home. Mowgli walked between them and after a moment he slipped his little hand into Samantha's free one. Samantha was so surprised she stopped walking and looked down at Mowgli. He gave her a tentative half smile, which she returned with a full-blown one of her own giving the little hand a slight squeeze. She then looked across at Daniel who was observing the interaction silently and it seemed to him that she'd never looked happier. Over the past few months she'd gradually lost the haunted look of guilt from her eyes thanks mainly to Mowgli, although he knew she still had the occasional bad dream but this was the first time her eyes had really sparkled with happiness. It went a long way towards relieving the burden of guilt he still carried on her behalf. Nothing could ever do that completely but seeing her happy was a start. He sent a silent 'thank you' to whoever was casting the dice, that they had seen fit to bless them with this child and his answering smile included them both before they resumed walking again.

And thus it was a merry little band indeed that headed home and enjoyed a delicious fish dinner.

"Two months. It's been two months, General," Jack stated as he walked into Hammond's office.

"Your point being, Colonel?" Hammond asked.

"Dunno. Just lettin' you know, Sir."

"I am well aware of how long it's been, Colonel. We dial the gate first thing every morning. That's all we can do."

Jack nodded. "I know. I just want them back soooooooo bad."

Hammond smiled inwardly knowing exactly where this was leading. "So how ARE the new members of SG1 working out? And shouldn't you be in the gate room now?"

"P...lease! General, is this the best you can do? They ask way too many questions, they have two left feet, which slows down the unit and they're way not as smart as either Carter or Daniel!"

"There's bound to be teething problems, Colonel. As I recall you had quite adverse reactions to both Major Carter and Doctor Jackson initially as well. You'll get used to them."

"Oh, General do I HAVE to? Couldn't Teal'c and I work as a two man team?"

Hammond shook his head. "I'm sorry, Colonel but you know the rules. Four is the absolute minimum on any SG team. Until Doctor Jackson and Major Carter return you'll just have to make the best of it."

"They are coming back, Sir."

"Of course they are, Colonel. Now get your butt down to the gate room before I'm forced to give command of SG1 over to Teal'c."

Jack raised his hands. "I'm going. You could do worse though you realize." He turned. "A hell of a LOT worse actually," he threw pointedly over his shoulder, leaving General Hammond with a half smile that turned to concern as he vanished from sight.

"Wakey, wakey!"

Samantha groaned. "It's not time to get up yet."

"Yes, it is. Today's the big day remember?"

She groaned again and rubbed her eyes, staring up in annoyance at the two smiling faces. It was a year today since they'd been stranded. Daniel had been hollowing out an old tree trunk to use as a boat. He'd just recently finished and had fashioned some oars from small branches. They had planned to celebrate their anniversary with a trip along the river, and Daniel was as excited as any child with a new toy. Mowgli too by the looks of things.

"You don't even know if it'll float yet, let alone carry us," she grumbled.

"Oh ye of little faith!" he chastised cheerfully. "Come on. Your breakfast is ready. The lunch is packed. All we need is the pleasure of your company."

Samantha stared at them both for a moment and then gave an exaggerated yawn. "Yeah, all right, I'm coming," she said without enthusiasm.

"Oh, such graciousness. I'll be sure to tell Jack when we get back how grumpy you are in the mornings," he muttered as they moved away.

"Hey, I heard that!" she yelled after them. "And for your information I'm not grumpy, just tired because someone SNORED all night!"

Daniel looked down at his little shadow. "You hear that, Mowgli? Them's fightin' words. I think maybe we should make ourselves scarce for a while until the raging beast has been soothed." Mowgli grinned, obviously more at his tone than at the actual words. Daniel looked across at Samantha, meeting her eyes. She did not look amused. "Um, look, how about you meet us at the river? Take as much time as you like," he offered by way of a peace offering. "We'll just be there, sitting, looking at the little boat...waiting." He offered her a placating smile along with his best puppy-dog expression and she found herself softening almost against her will. She hated that he could do that to her and glared at him a little longer, unwilling to let go of her bad humour too quickly and then finally she nodded.

Immediately Daniel gave a cheer. "Woo hoo! Let's go, Mowgli!" He picked up their lunch and the two fairly bounded off hand in hand towards the river. "By the way," he called over his shoulder, "I do NOT SNORE!" He looked down at his companion. "Do I snore?"

Unable to stop herself Samantha smiled broadly as she watched them until they were out of sight. It was hard to remain...yep `grumpy' WAS the right word, in the face of such happy excitement. It was so infectious. She had never seen Daniel so excited before except when he'd been trying to build that tree house for Mowgli and that had been a total disaster. A builder Daniel was not! She hoped the boat would turn out better. She chuckled a little as she pictured them all sinking to the bottom of the river. Mowgli's little laugh suddenly carried to her ears as if he was echoing her thoughts. How she loved that sound! It could put a smile on her face at any time.

Why the hell had she been so grumpy anyway? Was it because she realized that a whole year had passed? They had survived but they were no closer to getting home than the day they had become stranded. It was a whole year out of her life just gone...wasted. But no, not wasted entirely. She had acquired some new skills. She'd learnt how to sew animal skins together. She could cut hair and trim beards with great efficiency. (Daniel had opted to grow one when their supply of razor blades had been no longer useable...Grizzly Jackson, she called him and when Mowgli had inadvertently broken their only mirror she'd inherited the trimming job in the interests of aesthetics!) She'd learnt hieroglyphics and written several papers on her theories on time jumping and space variances. She'd instructed Daniel, who was quite an apt pupil, in the basics of astrophysics. She'd helped him chart the night sky, learned how to create useful items out of clay (and some not so useful...the caricature she'd fashioned of Teal'c springing immediately to mind) and to top it all off she'd helped tame and raise a young Neanderthal. Not a bad year's work after all. She hadn't just survived, she had LIVED. Daniel was right. It was cause for celebration.

Half an hour later she found them sitting on the edge of the stream, feet dangling in the water. Daniel was forlornly singing `Row Row Row Your Boat' as he cast longing eyes towards his little creation while Mowgli watched her approach grinning from ear to ear.

She punched Daniel playfully on the arm. "You cheated. You knew I was coming!" she said with a laugh. "I heard all that splashing you two were making clear back to the camp." She smiled at Mowgli who got up and climbed straight into the canoe, positioning himself at the front and watching them expectantly. "So I take it that it floats?"

Daniel nodded looking as surprised as she. "For now at least," he said with a grin. "And now all we need is the official launch." He handed her a water flask. "I'm fresh out of champagne so we'll have to make do with this. Are you ready? You know what you have to say?" She nodded. "Okay, then here we go." He ripped off the piece of bark under which was the name he'd carved.

Samantha stared at it in confusion. "But I thought..."

"I told you Titanic was NOT a good choice," he stated deadpan. Then he smiled and shrugged. "Boats are supposed to be female you know, and it sounded better."

She smiled back. "Okay then." She made an exaggerated throat clearing sound. "I christen this boat the `Samantha'. May God bless her and all who sail in her. Is that right?"

Daniel nodded. "Now the water."

She opened the flask and tipped water on the bow and then they both cheered and clapped with Mowgli laughing and clapping along with them. It was the start of a perfect day...one in which they paddled, swam, fished, picnicked and lazed in the sun and in the late afternoon they returned home tired but happy.

That night as they lay side by side on their backs beneath the stars, Daniel said, "Can I ask you something?"

"Mm."

"Have you ever thought...I mean have you ever considered...?" He stopped. "It doesn't matter, forget it."

Samantha propped herself up on one elbow so that she could look at him. "What is it, Daniel? It obviously matters to you so..."

He propped himself up also so that he was facing her directly. "Well, this may be coming way out of left field as far as you're concerned, but we could be here for a long time and I was just wondering if you've ever thought about...well, you know...us."

"Us? You mean like `you and me' us?" He nodded. "Have YOU?"

"I asked first." He paused. "But to answer you, um obviously I have since I'm the one asking the question. To tell the truth it's been on my mind a lot lately."

"What exactly?"

"Well, ah, obviously, lying beside you every night has led to more than a few, ahem, impure thoughts shall we say. But it's never been anything more than that." She looked away and he cleared his throat. "But lately I've been thinking that if I had to stay here with you for the rest of my life I could accept that fate quite happily and I've been wondering whether or not it's wrong to want more from this relationship when, and please don't get me wrong here, Sam I love you dearly and would do anything for you but I'm not in love with you, at least not like I was with Sha're. I doubt that I'll ever feel that way about anyone ever again, BUT, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy a more intimate relationship with you."

Samantha lay back on her back. "Ooh, Daniel!" she said quietly.

"I'm sorry if this has made you uncomfortable. That wasn't my intention. But we've always had this...open, honest relationship and by not sharing what I was thinking I felt I was being dishonest, if you know what I mean," he finished slowly. He lay back on his back also, staring unseeing at the stars, hoping like hell that he hadn't ruined their relationship irreparably.

There was silence for a long time. Then finally she propped herself back up on one elbow so that she was looking at him again. "First of all, I'm glad you brought this up. You're right, it is something that needs to be addressed especially if we're going to be here for a while longer." She paused. "I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought along similar lines because I have. Our sleeping arrangements have certainly...`heightened awareness' shall we say and you are certainly pleasing on the eye."

"I am? Thank you."

"As if you didn't know!"

"How could I know when you've never told me?"

"The point is..."

"Here comes the `but'. There's always a `but'," but he was smiling good-naturedly.

"I still believe we are going to get home someday and I have a life to get back to. It's like you said, I care about you a lot, but I'm in love with someone else. And while there's that hope I have to hang on to it. I can't allow myself to just drift into anything else." She grimaced as she realized she hadn't phrased the last bit very well but a more probing look revealed that he didn't seem offended. "Do you understand?"

He nodded and smiled. "Perfectly and it's okay...really. I just wanted to know what you thought, although it's more or less what I figured anyway. It's different for me because I have no-one to get home to, but don't worry it's not going to change things. I will be the model of decorum in future."

"I hope not. I'd miss the hugs and the hand-holding. Is that...I mean does that make things terribly awkward for you?"

"Sam, I'm hardly a hormonal driven teenager!" *Nor a Neanderthal,* he couldn't help thinking. "I'd probably miss those more than you. Physical contact is a basic human requirement...it doesn't have to be intimate." He paused. "Can I ask you a VERY personal question?"

"More personal than that?" she said with a laugh. Then she sobered as she realized he looked quite serious and nodded. "No secrets, remember."

He propped himself up on his elbow so that he could look into her eyes. "Are you...afraid of being intimate...not with me...I mean because of what happened to you?"

She met his eyes honestly and shook her head. "I don't think so. I guess I won't know for sure until I'm in the situation but I'm pretty sure I'm not. Besides nothing really happened thanks to you."

Daniel nodded. "I'm glad," he said softly lying back down, but not before she had read the relief in his eyes. Obviously his sense of guilt still lay heavily upon him.

"If I ever feel the need to find out for sure, you'll be the first to know," she said with a smile and just the barest hint of teasing in her voice.

Daniel laughed just as she'd hoped he would. "I can but dream," he said with an exaggerated sigh. Then he reached for her hand and squeezed it tightly. "Happy anniversary, my friend," he said quietly. He slackened his grip but did not relinquish her hand.

Samantha relaxed down beside him and squeezed back, happy that they'd been able to have such a conversation without it ruining their relationship. "To you too," she returned, "and Daniel just for the record, I'm sure there's someone out there for you somewhere...not to take Sha're's place but someone that you could really care about again. If anyone deserves to be happy it's you."

He squeezed her hand again. "Thanks, Sam. Perhaps things will work out for both of us when we get home. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," she replied and then they both closed their eyes wondering seriously if they would still be there to celebrate another anniversary.

"Welcome back, SG1," General Hammond said cheerfully. "How did it go?"

"Oh, about as well as can be expected, General all things considered." He glanced meaningfully in the direction of Daniel's replacement who looked decidedly uncomfortable.

"Debriefing will be in one hour," Hammond said dismissing them.

"Has there been any word on Major Carter and Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asked before Jack had the chance to.

Hammond shook his head. "Nothing yet." He turned and they all filed out of the gate room.

Two hours later Jack knocked on Teal'c's door. It was opened immediately. "Wanna get some boxing practice in?" he asked without preamble.

"I do not," Teal'c replied. "But I will accompany you just the same." He made to pull the door closed behind him but Jack forestalled him noticing the lit candles.

"No, Teal'c, it's okay. You do your `kel-no-reem' thing. I'll find another partner."

Teal'c stared at him for a moment. "If you are sure, O'Neill."

Jack nodded. "Perhaps later."

Teal'c inclined his head. "It will be ten weeks tomorrow since Major Carter and Daniel Jackson disappeared. You are beginning to lose hope, O'Neill."

"Aren't you?"

"I am not. They will return, I am certain of it."

"But WHEN?"

"That I do not know."

"Well, Teal'c when you get some insight into THAT please let me know!" Jack said forcefully. Then he grimaced and lowered his voice. "Sorry. It's just that I don't know how much longer I can work with these people. This Johnson guy's the typical geek. I mean Daniel might be a geek but he's got a measure of sense along with it and as for Miller...typical arrogant scientist. And Carter's way smarter anyway and she's not arrogant about it either."

"I concur it will be good to have them back, O'Neill. I miss them also."

"Yeah," Jack said quietly, "I know." He reached up and patted Teal'c on the arm. "Go do your..." he gestured with his hand, "thingy, big fella and I'll see you later."

Teal'c inclined his head and withdrew into his room closing the door. Jack stood there for a moment contemplating. Ten weeks seemed like such a long time, just as it had when he had been trapped on the other side. What was she thinking? Was she missing him as much as he was her? Of course she had Daniel for company but still. The worst bit was not knowing if she was even alive. `Missing' he could handle but `dead'. NO! He would not allow himself to think along those lines. Besides Teal'c was certain they'd return and he seemed to have a kind of sense about these things.

He suddenly remembered the time loop thing when he had kissed her and a smile rose unbidden. After being initially surprised she had kissed him back and what a kiss it had been! His smile broadened. There was no doubting she'd enjoyed it and would welcome a repeat. "Yep, she'll be back for more," he said softly to himself. "How could she not!" and with that cheerful thought in his mind he turned and headed down the hall.

"Well, I'll be, "Daniel said in amazement as he stared at the glowing chevrons.

"Seems like we might have moved back into phase. All we need now is the jump back to our own time." After fifteen months it seemed like they might be finally going home. "Wait till I tell Sam!"

He rushed back to the camp finding it empty. "Sam," he called excitedly, "where are you?"

"We're out the back," she called. He raced round to the back of the cave to where Mowgli was sitting on a branch of his favourite tree *where else?* munching a piece of fruit *and could that child eat!* while Samantha sat on a rock writing in her diary. They both looked up at his approach.

"Guess what," he began excitedly.

"What?" Samantha asked, his excitement contagious.

"The chevrons glowed."

"What?" she asked incredulously.

"You know what this means?"

"We've probably jumped back into phase, but at a time before our gate was unburied."

"So all we need now is the jump back to our own time."

"But will it happen?" she asked uncertainly.

"I think it will," he said happily. "When it jumped before, it went back in time first, because remember the chevrons glowed the first time I tried them...then it went out of phase. Now it's doing the reverse." He paused. "We're going home, Sam." He reached down and pulled her to her feet, her diary and pen flung unceremoniously to the ground. "We're going home." And he threw his arms around her hugging her tightly before proceeding to perform a kind of dance of triumph with her.

Samantha laughed as she let herself be swept away in the excitement but suddenly they heard a cracking sound and a startled cry. They stopped and looked up at the tree in front of them just in time to see both the branch and Mowgli plummeting rapidly downwards. Daniel released his hold on Samantha and made a desperate lunge to try to break his fall, but he was just out of reach. Mowgli landed sprawled out on the ground, his head contracting a rock with force.

They raced towards him kneeling on either side. He was whimpering softly. "Hurt," he said forlornly. He reached out his arms towards Samantha. "Sam," he said plaintively, his eyes full of appeal and then they dropped limply back to his sides, his eyes closing for the last time.

"No," Samantha whispered shaking her head in disbelief. "NO!" She picked up the limp body and cradled it to her. Daniel felt on his neck for a pulse but there was none. He shook his head slowly at her desperate look and for an instant they simply stared at each other in shocked disbelief.

Then reality hit with force and the tears started. Samantha clasped the little body that she'd only ever been allowed to hold once before more tightly to her. Then she rested her cheek down on his little head and wept broken-heartedly while Daniel put his arms around them both, his head on hers as his own tears cascaded freely down his cheeks, his pain being for her as much as himself, perhaps even more. And there they stayed, unmoving, for a long time, all else forgotten.

Later Samantha carried Mowgli and lay him on the ground beside the grave of his mother. They collected armfuls of wild flowers and wreathed his little body and finally they covered him with rocks. Then they selected some appropriate pieces of wood. Samantha fashioned a cross while Daniel carved his name as a headstone. These they set into the rocks and then they simply sat silently in front of it, holding each other and remembering the little life that had had such an enormous impact on their own and had been extinguished far too prematurely.

As darkness fell a light rain began to fall mingling with their tears. Daniel forced Samantha away into the cave to where it was dry. He urged her to go into the tent to change but she refused to relinquish his hand, dragging him inside with her. She fell to her knees pulling him with her and linked her arms around his neck.

"Sam," he began putting his hands on her upper arms and trying to push her gently away. "I don't think..."

"Don't, please," she sobbed, "I couldn't bear that too."

He looked into her tear-ravaged face, understanding completely the solace that she sought, her unhappiness tearing at his heart, and suddenly nothing else mattered. He had to help her through this the only way he could...the way she needed him to...the way he wanted to. He closed his eyes feeling tears forming again and pulled her towards him, sliding his arms around her, allowing nature to take its course.

And outside the rain stopped and the sky cleared and sometime during the night the ground shook and the stars were momentarily gone, all of which they were unaware as they sought desperately to block out the pain.

"Colonel O'Neill, Doctor Fraiser, report to the gate room ASAP."

Jack and Janet who were deep in conversation with each other shared a questioning look and then sped off as requested.

"What is it, General?" Jack asked without preamble.

"We have established a wormhole, Colonel." There was no need to explain further.

"We're just about to send the MALP though. If it checks out I'll authorize a rescue mission."

"General, request permission..." both Jack and Janet began at once.

"Granted," Hammond replied cutting them off. They all watched as the MALP disappeared and then Hammond faced them. "Now let's see what we've got." They made their way quickly to the control room to where the MALP had already begun sending back telemetry.

"It looks just like it did the last time," Jack stated, focusing on the images.

"I concur, O'Neill," said Teal'c who had already been in the control room when they'd entered.

"There's no sign of life," Janet observed.

"They probably made camp in the cave we found," Jack explained.

"Okay, Colonel, I'll authorize a rescue mission. Assemble your team ASAP and take SG7 with you. We have no idea what window of opportunity we're working with here so the idea is to get in, get our people and get out again as quickly as possible. Any questions?" Jack shook his head. "Then let's get to it, people."

Daniel was roused from sleep by the sound of voices. "Sam," he called urgently as he shook her hard wondering where the hell he had put the gun. But then as a forgotten memory from the previous morning suddenly resurfaced, he quickly drew a blanket up over their naked bodies and waited with both hope and trepidation.

"What?" Samantha muttered sleepily beside him just before a familiar head poked its way into the tent.

Jack took in the interior at a glance. Daniel raised a hand in a half-hearted greeting only partly relieved as he identified the visitor whose eyes registered immediate, undisguised shock while Samantha dazedly pushed hair out of her face so that she could see better. Then he withdrew. "Found them," Daniel heard him say followed shortly by, "Oh, I'd say they're fine. Start packing everything up. Let's go people!"

Daniel reached for his clothes that were still damp from the rain and began dressing. Of all the days to be rescued why did it have to be today? Why the hell couldn't it have been yesterday? He glanced at Samantha who still seemed to be not quite with it...she was not a morning person!

"Was that...?"

"Jack? Yep. Guess my theory about the gate was correct." He buttoned his pants with a grimace. "Pity I hadn't remembered it." He shrugged on his shirt not bothering with the buttons. "Take your time. I'll see to the guests." He made for the opening.

"Daniel." He glanced back. She still looked rather dazed, which he could understand perfectly but she smiled slightly. "Thank you."

Not really sure exactly what he was being thanked for he nevertheless returned the smile with a small one of his own. Try as he might he could not regret what had happened, he just hoped that it wouldn't have far reaching consequences that would adversely affect the future relationships of them all. He gave her a quick nod not entirely certain what he was trying to convey, before crawling out and leaving her to her privacy.

By the time Samantha emerged the camp had been demolished and packed up apart from her tent and FRED was off on its way back to the gate. She sighted Teal'c who was obviously pleased to see her and gave him a hug as he greeted her warmly before he set off with SG7. She couldn't see Jack and she wasn't sure if she was relieved or disappointed. She was anxious to see him but she wasn't sure of his reaction. Even though there had never been anything official between them she knew he'd be hurt by what he had seen, but surely he'd understand...wouldn't he? It HAD been fifteen months after all and he'd lost a child himself so he had to have some understanding of what had happened and why.

She saw Daniel staring at the marks on the wall of the cave and moved to join him. They had faded drastically, ravaged by time except for the last two. She looked at the marking stone in his hand.

"We forgot yesterday," he said quietly, feeling her gaze. "It didn't seem right."

She nodded casting her eyes more carefully over the wall, noting all the changes time had wrought. Of their names only a few letters remained, just as Jack had described those many months ago. She reached out and ran her fingertips along the calendar as if feeling the time through her fingers. It was long past and yet they had lived it. "Jack was right," she murmured softly. "There are `a lot' of them."

Then by mutual consent they turned and walked to the gravesite. The stones had worn down and the cross and headstone had gone. They collected the few flowers they could see close by and placed them on the stones in remembrance. Then they knelt in front of it for the last time, eyes full of tears saying their silent final farewells.

And that's where Jack and Janet found them. Jack had no idea what to say. Obviously something traumatic had happened but his over-riding feeling was one of acute jealousy as he recalled the scene he had witnessed in the tent. It was not the type of reunion he had pictured at all. In all the time he had spent thinking about her while she'd been gone, that possibility had never once occurred to him. He would never have expected it from Daniel either. It just didn't seem to fit. And it hurt. It hurt a lot!

It was Janet who finally broke the silence. "Time to go," she said gently.

Daniel assisted Samantha to her feet, something else that made Jack's blood boil. As she turned their eyes met. Hers were full of pain, his full of questions. He moved towards her but whether by accident or design Samantha ended up beside Janet who put an arm around her and the two of them set off together, leaving him to walk beside Daniel.

"Nice..." Jack indicated the beard by grasping the air below his own chin as Daniel walked towards him. Daniel gave a slight nod of acknowledgement and they turned to head off. "So?" he asked as they fell into step. He was craving details but he tried to appear nonchalant keeping his feelings hidden.

"Just give it a few minutes would you, Jack?" Daniel knew Jack was as jealous as hell, he'd seen it in his eyes when he'd stuck his head in the tent and he knew he should feel awkward and try to explain but for the moment grief had total control of his mind.

"I can do that."

"So?" Jack asked again after a few minutes silent walking.

Daniel shook his head in exasperation. Same old Jack! And to think he'd actually missed him. Nevertheless he decided to answer. "He was a young Neanderthal about five. His family and kin were all dead basically because of us so we took him in. We called him Mowgli for obvious reasons and he lived with us." He smiled. "He was the cutest kid...big dark expressive eyes, cheeky grin." He paused. "Yesterday he um..." He felt dangerously close to tears again and fought to keep his voice from trembling. "...he fell out of his favourite tree and hit his head on a rock. We um...we hadn't been able to get him to talk at all but just before he died he um...he reached up to Sam and he said her name. Oh, God." He turned away and pulled off his glasses yet again, wiping at his eyes.

"She must have been upset," Jack offered quietly after a moment.

"She was totally devastated," Daniel said with feeling. "That's why..." He broke off hoping that Jack would read between the lines.

"I see," he said slowly and he did. Unfortunately it didn't make his feelings of hurt and jealousy diminish any.

"Oh, I hope you do," Daniel said replacing his glasses. "Because for all those months you were all she ever thought about."

"Months? For crying out loud, Daniel you were gone for just on ten weeks."

"What?" Daniel stopped and stared at him incredulously. "NO! It was fifteen MONTHS, Jack," he said passionately. "You saw all the marks on the wall."

Jack shrugged. "What can I say? Ten weeks is ten weeks."

"Time must pass differently in the other phase," Daniel said almost to himself as he resumed walking.

"Phase?"

"Yes, you see as well as jumping back to a time before the Earth gate was unburied we also phase shifted. At least that was OUR theory," he finished slowly with a frown. "Where did you think we were?"

Jack shrugged again. "We had no idea. We just kept dialing the gate on a daily basis. Today we got lucky."

"So did we...keep trying the gate I mean. Yesterday the chevrons actually glowed so I figured we must have moved back into phase but then everything kind of got forgotten when Mowgli..." He broke off, seeing him falling again in his mind and feeling the same sick fear as he had at the time.

They continued to walk in silence for a while and then Jack said. "So, fifteen months? What did you do all that time?"

"Well, let's see we catalogued the native flora and fauna, charted the night sky, I studies astrophysics while Sam learnt hieroglyphics. We explored, walked, paddled, swam...that kind of thing oh and of course we tamed and took care of a young Neanderthal."

"Ah, sounds...nice."

"Well, Sam and I both agreed that you would have gone stir crazy in the first week although there were fish to be had."

"Now that sounds more my style."

"How did you get on without us?"

"We managed. Got a couple of fairly decent replacements. Life goes on...you know how it is. Think Janet missed you. She talked about you a LOT!"

Daniel didn't reply as they had reached the Stargate. It was already active and everyone was filing through.

Samantha stood at the entrance waiting for them. She took a long look around as if to imprint a final image into her mind and then Jack said gently, "Time to go." She nodded and stepped through with Jack on her heels.

Daniel took one last look around also. He had a lot of regrets about his time here, mostly to do with Sam, but he had learnt a lot too, about himself and the simple pleasures that came with caring for a child. He also knew that a piece of his heart would forever remain buried along side the body of that young Neanderthal. It seemed that he was destined to leave parts of himself throughout the galaxy; a larger chunk of his heart already being on Abydos with Sha're. For an instant he wondered if he had much more left to lose.

He closed his eyes and listened to the sound of the gentle wind through the trees and just for a moment he fancied he heard the sound of Mowgli's laugh echoing through the corridors of time. He knew it was only an illusion but still it made him smile as he re-opened his eyes for one last look. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly and then with the memory of Mowgli fresh in his mind he turned and stepped through the circle that would return him to the world he once knew.

Back at the SGC, after initial greetings, Daniel and Samantha were whisked away to the infirmary where Janet gave them a thorough medical examination, finally pronouncing them both healthy although lacking in certain vitamins and minerals for which she supplied them with supplements. Then followed the debriefing that was mercifully brief. Samantha and Daniel gave a very general account of what had happened, glossing over certain facts and totally avoiding others by tacit agreement.

Hammond ordered a full written report from them both at a later date and then released them to their civilian lives for a time. He sent word to the Tok'ra but Jacob was away on a mission and was unable to visit with his daughter. Naturally Samantha was disappointed but she had a higher priority and as soon as she was able she knocked on the door to Jack's room. Since her arrival back at the SGC he'd been carefully avoiding her and she knew why. She didn't like the distance between them and wanted to set it right as quickly as possible.

He called for her to enter and she found him sitting on a chair doing up his laces. He looked up as she approached.

"Colonel," she said by way of greeting.

"And what can I do for you, Major?" he asked nonchalantly.

"I thought that maybe we could talk for awhile...you know, catch up a little," she said with a tentative smile.

Jack stared at her for an instant and then shook his head. "Sorry, Major but I have places to be at the moment."

Samantha's eyes fell, but she nodded. "Okay, maybe later," she suggested hopefully.

"I don't think so. I'm going to be busy for the rest of the day...SGC business, you know how it is." He grabbed his jacket and moved to the door. He knew he was hurting her but he couldn't help it. He just couldn't talk to her yet, not after what he'd seen, even after Daniel's attempted explanation. He could understand what had happened...all to well actually, but he just could not handle it...not yet. The image flashed into his mind again causing him to inwardly grimace as he stood there waiting for her, ignoring the plea in her eyes.

"Please, don't do this," she said quietly.

"Do what, Major? My job?" He opened the door and held it for her, keeping a carefully neutral expression on his face.

She lowered her eyes. If he needed more time then she would give it to him but she had to fight the tears that were trying to form in her eyes. "Okay," she said without looking at him, making an effort to sound casual. "I guess we can catch up some other time then."

"Sure. I'll be around," he said nonchalantly.

"Yes, Sir," she said quietly. She walked in front of him into the hall and as she threw him a parting look he fancied he saw tears in her eyes.

He watched her go with a sinking feeling. *Oh hell! Jack, you are a prize idiot!* He closed the door and rested his head against it for a moment, recalling Daniel's words, "You were all she ever thought of." Then he straightened and gave the door an angry kick before heading off to find Teal'c or at the very least a boxing bag!

Samantha headed for home feeling heartsick, stopping on the way only long enough to procure the necessities for restocking her refrigerator. Her world had been turned totally upside down in less than two days and she had no idea how she was supposed to handle things. Jack's reaction had hurt her yet it had not been totally unexpected. She was sure he'd get over it after awhile but she'd really needed to talk to him today. She'd spent all those months missing him and now he wouldn't even give her the time of day. It just wasn't fair! But then again maybe it was better this way. When he found out she was a baby killer he'd probably look at her differently anyway so she might as well get used to it now.

She sat in her living room feeling like a fish out of water. She was lonely, she missed Mowgli terribly and her home seemed as if it belonged to someone else. When night fell she went outside to look at the stars, seeking solace in what had become such an integral part of her existence. But these stars seemed so foreign and distant and offered no comfort at all.

As she headed back inside the phone rang and she snatched it up like a lifeline hoping it would be Jack. It wasn't, but her disappointed was quelled somewhat by the voice that spoke.

"Hi," Daniel said. "Just wondering how you're doing."

"Fine," she lied. "You?"

"Fine," he agreed. "It's good to be back isn't it?"

"Sure is," she agreed trying to force some enthusiasm into her voice.

"Have you talked to Jack?"

"I tried but I think it's going to take a while."

"I tried to explain on the way to the gate but he didn't say much."

"Don't worry. It'll be fine." *If it's meant to be.*

"Hope so." There was a slight pause. "Sam?"

"Yeah."

"I really miss the little tyke."

"Me too."

"But I guess it was a good thing really."

"How can you say that?" she demanded in horror.

"Well, what would have happened to him today? I'm not being heartless but we never did work out an answer to that question. At least this way he had a happy life with people who loved him, and he's at peace and where he belongs." There was no reply. "Sam?" She still didn't answer, but he thought he heard... "Sam, are you crying?"

"Yep," she sniffled.

"Want some company?"

"Yes," she whispered.

"I'll be right there."

By the time he'd arrived she had composed herself and fixed them a simple dinner of steak and salad. "Mm," Daniel said appreciatively as he tucked in with gusto, "I'd forgotten what real food tasted like. You're a great cook, Sam!"

"That's not what you said on the planet!" she reminded him dryly.

"I take it all back," he said, although he didn't look the least bit apologetic, grinning broadly as he popped another piece of juicy steak into his mouth.

She grinned back. "Of course fish has never been my forte. Give me a steak and some salad though and I'm a true master of the art!"

"No arguments there," Daniel said with his mouth full.

They continued to chat amiably over dinner just as they had for the previous fifteen months and at one point Samantha said, "You want to know something really weird? I celebrated two birthdays while we were gone and yet my birthday is actually next week. So I've suddenly become two years younger for a few days."

"That IS weird! Our bodies will have aged though."

"Thanks for reminding me. As long as people don't start telling me I look older than I am."

"Okay, I won't," he agreed amiably.

"You look so much younger without your beard," she said with a smile, "although it did have a certain charm."

"I knew you liked it," he said mischievously. "You didn't think the razor blades were REALLY blunt did you?"

Time passed quickly as they conversed easily through the rest of dinner and the cleaning up process and then Samantha made coffee that they took to the lounge.

"Mm," Daniel said with appreciation. "This tastes soooooo good. It's one of the things I missed most."

"Me too," Samantha agreed. "That and chocolate." She produced a package, which she divided and shared with him.

"Mm, I'd forgotten," he said as he allowed a fragment to melt on his tongue and then washed it down with a mouthful of coffee. "This is so decadent. I'm sure

I'm going to gain heaps of weight with all these variety of tastes again. Oh and something else I'm looking forward to is ice-cream. Remember the taste and feel of that?"

She nodded smiling although it didn't reach her eyes he noticed. "I should have got some of that but I wasn't thinking too clearly."

Daniel frowned and put down his cup looking back up at her. "You know, I lied before...on the phone." She lowered her eyes. "I'm not `fine' at all. In fact I haven't felt less `fine' in a long time." He waited for her to comment but she didn't so he rushed on, "Don't get me wrong, I mean it's great to be back but I'm finding it difficult re-adjusting. The food bit is okay but everything else just seems so foreign. My own apartment seems so sterile, full of another person's life." He paused. "I miss the open space. I miss Mowgli and I miss just having someone around." He focused on her eyes, willing her to look up. "So how are you doing...really?"

Samantha sighed inwardly, putting down her cup into which she'd been staring as he spoke, not wanting him to know that her thoughts mirrored his exactly. She looked up meeting his eyes, seeing the ambivalence of which he spoke but mostly his concern for her and suddenly she realized that she couldn't lie, not to him...not to his face, so honesty compelled her to admit, "Pretty much the same. It feels so lonely here...empty and that's strange because I've never really thought of myself as gregarious. I've always valued my own space...time alone. Now I hate it."

Daniel nodded. "I guess there was bound to be a few problems. We just need to get back into some sort of routine again. How long do you think it'll take to adjust?"

"I think it'll be quicker if we can get back to work."

"Me too," he agreed. "I'll go badger the General in the morning." He rose. "And on that note I think I should be off."

She rose also. "Do you have to?"

He met her eyes. "No, I don't HAVE to. I don't even WANT to. But I think I probably SHOULD."

"You were right," she said wryly, "there's always a `but'." She gave him a half-smile and then nodded. "And you're right again, you probably should go." She accompanied him to the door but instead of opening it she leaned her back against it facing him. "I really, really don't want to be alone."

He stared at her for a moment searching her eyes. "Okay," he nodded, "but just to be perfectly clear, this," he used his hands to gesture between the two of them, "is strictly plutonic, right? Because..."

She held up her hand. "Strictly. I promise I will never try to take advantage of you in a weak moment ever again."

"Oh and I put up such a fight!" He smiled fondly. "You know, Sam I'll never understand this chemistry thing. I mean Sha're and I had nothing in common and yet we clicked immediately and I loved her very much. And here you and I...we share so much in common...we've spent all that time together and get on so well. So why haven't I fallen in love with you?"

"It beats me, although it's a good thing since..."

"You love Jack, yeah I know. I got that impression somewhere along the line," he teased. "And the two of you are like chalk and cheese so why do you love him?"

"I don't know, I just do."

"Oh, sorry I didn't mean for you to answer, it was just a rhetorical question. But I know what you mean. Why did I love Sha're? I don't know. I just did. And that's basically all I can tell you. Oh, I can tell you about all her little quirks that I adored but the love was there first."

"That's just about it for me too. It's just there. But Daniel, I think this is way too heavy a topic for this time of night. Ready to turn in? Big day tomorrow braving the General!"

Later when they were lying side by side having both agreed that sleeping in a bed was much preferable to the ground, Samantha asked, "Do you think I was a good mother?"

Daniel considered for a moment. "For that child, in those particular circumstances, I think you were a great mother."

"That's good, because now I know I'd really like to be one some day."

Daniel had a sudden thought. "Um Sam, about last night. I never considered..." He broke off awkwardly but she shook her head.

"Neither did I to be honest, but don't worry there's very little chance."

"I wasn't worried for myself," he was quick to explain, "only for you."

She rolled over and smiled at him. "You were a great dad, Daniel...so much patience. I hope you get the chance too some day."

He shrugged. "You never know."

She smiled again. "And since this is the last time we're ever going to be together like this I want to tell you that these last months on the planet with you and Mowgli has been one of the happiest times in my life. I couldn't have wished for a better companion. You gave me so much...you're such a giving person." He went to speak but she put up her hand to silence him. "You taught me a lot. You made me see the good in things that I otherwise would have missed and I think I'm a much better person because of it...certainly a stronger one." Again he started to speak but she forestalled him. "And above all else I want you to know that I will never ever regret what happened between us last night even if Jack never understands."

"Sam," he began, determined to get a word in, but this time she put her fingers on his lips.

"No, don't say anything. Let's just leave it at that...please."

"That's not fair you know," he said, removing her hand from his mouth. "I waited patiently for my turn only to be told I can't have one."

She shrugged. "That's life."

"And what if I have regrets?"

She shot him a surprised look. "Do you?"

He smiled and shook his head. "No, not if you don't."

"Oh, YOU..." She punched his arm with tempered force.

"I do regret the timing though," he said seriously. She gave him a wry smile.

"Sam, would you like me to talk to...?" He broke off as she shook her head.

"No," she said.

He searched her eyes, which was difficult in the dimly lit room and then he added quietly, "And I'll always regret that we were there in the first place and what happened to you."

She placed her hand on his arm. "There's no need, not on my account because without that and the other," she broke off with a grimace, "well there wouldn't have been any Mowgli." She felt tears prick her eyes. "And that's something I can never regret even though..." She stopped as the lump that had formed in her throat prevented further speech.

Daniel reached out and placed a comforting hand on the side of her head and for a moment there was silence as they both remembered their child.

Then Samantha rolled away wiping at her eyes. "Okay, that's it...no more." She turned back towards him. "NOW can we leave it?" And then determined to change the subject she added. "You know I'mgoing to have to get a haircut if I want to go back to work."

He looked at her silently for a moment. There was actually quite a lot more he wanted to say to her, things that he wanted her to know but she obviously didn't want to hear and realistically she probably knew it all anyway so... He sighed in resignation. "Once again I will accede to your demands, my lady like the true gentleman I am."

"Gentleman? Huh! I don't remember you being too gentlemanly when you were pitching me head first into the river!"

"Well, I don't exactly remember you acting very ladylike at the time, but I still extend to you the courtesy of the title."

She laughed. "I am so going to miss you."

"You'll still see me."

"Yes, but never in the same capacity."

"Yeah, I know." He was silent for a moment thinking of the lonely days and nights ahead of him and then he said philosophically, "Well, since I'm no longer able to voice an opinion on anything, although if I could I'd have to admit that I like your hair that little bit longer, I think I'll go to sleep. Good night, Miss Carter." He leaned over and pressed a very chaste kiss to her cheek.

"Goodnight, Doctor Jackson," she replied as equally formal and then they closed their eyes to sleep, together for the last time.

Morning found Daniel sent off to the shower with the promise of bacon and eggs. As the smell of cooking filled the air a knock came on the door. Samantha went to answer it, puzzlement turning to surprise and then pleasure when she saw that it was Jack. "Colonel, this is a surprise."

"Major," he acknowledged, "Thought we might, you know sit down and have that little chat I didn't have time for yesterday."

"That'd be great, Sir. Come in." She stepped back to allow him to enter.

"Mm, something smells good," Daniel said walking out, obviously fresh from the shower. "Oh, hi Jack." *Oops.* He threw a questioning look at Samantha to take his lead from her but she didn't comment.

"That WAS going to be MY next line," Jack said dryly, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Obviously I've called at a bad time."

"No, you haven't," Daniel said shaking his head. "In fact I was just leaving." He threw another look at Samantha wondering why she wasn't saying anything.

Jack turned and looked behind him. "Don't see your car anywhere about."

"That's because I caught a cab," Daniel said with a slight frown.

"I see."

"No, you don't," Daniel disagreed but Jack wasn't listening.

He turned towards Samantha who still hadn't spoken. "Obviously this was a bad idea. I'll see you at work, Major."

"Jack, wait!" Daniel demanded but to no avail. Jack was out the door and off down the path. Daniel would have chased after him but Samantha who had watched everything unfold feeling like she was in a scene from a B grade movie, put a detaining hand on his arm.

"Let him go," she said quietly.

"But, Sam he probably thinks..."

She nodded her head. "Probably, but just let it be for now. I'll catch up with him later."

He studied her face wondering at her actions, not particularly liking the role that had been seemingly cast for him by both of his friends. Her expression gave very little away but it was her eyes that spoke. He'd become very adept at reading them during their time together and at the moment they were sad and resigned. It suddenly occurred to him that maybe she felt that she was no longer worthy of Jack...which was absolute crap! In many ways he knew her so well but in others... There was all that military stuff which was ingrained in her that he struggled to understand. His best guess was that it had something to do with that, rather than Jack catching them like he had. She said she had no regrets about the other night and he believed her. So maybe it was to do with the unfortunate deaths of those women and the baby which they had not really touched upon in their debriefing and which he knew still weighed heavily on her conscience. However whatever the state of things she was hurting and it wasn't fair. She'd already been through more than enough and he wasn't about to let her be hurt more!

But there was nothing he could do for the moment so he nodded. "Okay, if that's what you want."

"It is. Now come on, breakfast awaits," she said almost cheerfully turning her back on the retreating vehicle and closing the door.

Two hours later, Daniel stormed uninvited into Jack's room at the SGC, slamming the door behind him.

"Hello again, Daniel," Jack said dryly. "Please, do come in...I insist."

Daniel ignored him and got straight to the point. "If you've got a problem,

Jack, why don't you come right out and say it!"

"I don't have a problem," Jack replied calmly. "Now if you'll excuse me." He made for the door but Daniel got there first and leaned back against it.

"You'll have to go through me first."

"That could be arranged," Jack muttered to himself but Daniel heard.

"You want a piece of me, Jack? Huh?" He took off his glasses and put them into his pocket. "Well, go on, take your best shot."

"Daniel, get out of the way." Jack tried to push him aside but Daniel pushed back.

"No, you're not leaving here until we get this settled."

"Oh for crying out loud, just get out of the way!" He tried to drag Daniel away from the door but Daniel kept pushing him back.

"What is your problem?" Jack demanded angrily.

"I don't have the problem, you do!" Daniel countered pushing his chest hard for emphasis. "And I know what it is too. You're jealous!" He pushed him again.

"I am NOT!" Jack yelled, pushing back.

"You are so. You're jealous because you found Sam and I together not once but twice. (push)

"Would you just shut up!" (push)

"Why should I? The truth hurts does it Jack? (push) But you want to know the BEST bit; I only got to be there last night because you didn't take up the offer! (shove)

"Just stop there."

"Why? She's lucky that at least one of us is man enough for her. Although what she ever saw in you... You probably wouldn't even know what to do with a woman like that. But I'm telling you, you don't know what you're missing out on. She's..."

"That's it!" Jack totally lost his cool. He launched himself at Daniel and knocked him to the ground where he proceeded to connect three times in rapid suggestion with Daniel's face. It was only when he raised his hand for the fourth time that he realized Daniel was making no effort to resist or fight back. He let go of the collar he was holding letting Daniel drop back to the floor and backed away breathing heavily.

"Feeling better now?" Daniel asked calmly as he moved into a sitting position, gingerly feeling his swollen jaw and bloodied nose. "Or perhaps you'd like to beat my head to a pulp. Trust me I know what it feels like. If I could have got my hands on Apophis after he'd been with Sha're..." He broke off meaningfully.

"Daniel, what's this all about?" Jack asked tiredly, collecting a handkerchief and handing it to him. "What's the point of picking a fight if you don't intend to participate. It's very...unsatisfying."

Daniel nodded, wiping the blood from his nose. "I'm sure it is but I needed to get your full attention and this seemed like the best idea since you weren't exactly responding to diplomacy." He eyed Jack seriously. "I need you to listen to what I have to say. So will you do that now? Please?"

Jack sighed heavily but nevertheless nodded and took up position on the floor opposite him leaning against the bed. "Not a whole lot else to do anyway."

"Thank you. First of all you have to know that I'm breaking a confidence and secondly you couldn't possibly hate me any more than I hate myself. So here goes." He launched into the tale in all its graphic detail, painting as complete a picture as he could of all Samantha had been through in the last fifteen months up to and including what he had deduced from their encounter two hours earlier. Occasionally Jack would comment or ask for clarification but for the most part he just listened. Finally he finished with, "I know it must have come as a shock to you but it's been fifteen months for us...fifteen months that she spent missing you, not knowing if she'd ever see you again. But when Mowgli died...God, Jack you, more than anyone else should be able to understand." He paused but Jack didn't speak. "She loves you. She spent all that time missing you and now... You're hurting her. I know there's all that protocol stuff but I KNOW you feel the same way about her, so surely..."

"Oh, like that's a big secret! Apparently!"

Daniel studied him when he made no further comment and then added, "Hasn't she been through enough? She needs your friendship if nothing else."

"All right, already, I get the message!" Jack took a big breath and let it out slowly. "Thank you for telling me all this. I admit it, I was acting like a jerk but I was..." He grimaced. "All right I was jealous, okay. It was the last thing I expected to find, especially after only ten weeks...and the knee-jerk reaction was I wanted to punch your head in...AND not just for that!"

"Well, you had it handed to you on a platter!" Daniel said dryly as he dabbed at his nose again. "And feel free to be as angry at ME as you want because I am too. But you'll talk to Sam?"

Jack nodded. "I would have talked to her this morning if you hadn't have been there!"

"Well, I wouldn't have been there if you'd talked to her YESTERDAY!"

"Okay, you've made your point."

Daniel absorbed his words but then couldn't help himself. He had to bring up the bit that had really hurt. "Do you really think so little of me?" he asked quietly.

Jack had the grace to look shame-faced knowing exactly to what he was referring. He bowed his head and closed his eyes momentarily. "I'm sorry, Daniel." He opened his eyes and looked up at his friend with a self-deprecating grimace. "I wasn't thinking straight but that's no excuse."

Daniel nodded in acceptance. "I guess in your place I might have thought the same," he offered charitably. Jack was his best friend after all and he wanted to keep it that way.

Jack shook his head. "No, you wouldn't," he admitted honestly. He met Daniel's eyes and it was immediately clear to him that Daniel had deliberately and knowingly lied; a conciliatory lie because their friendship mattered to him, but he was extremely glad that Jack had recognized the fact. Jack gave a slight smile, which Daniel returned, both greatly relieved that things were starting to get back on the right track between them.

Jack got to his feet and moved towards his friend to offer him a hand up suddenly becoming fully aware of his battered appearance. Remorse kicked in with a vengeance as Daniel took the proffered hand. "Um...Daniel," he said as soon as he'd pulled him upright, "perhaps you'd better get down to the infirmary and let Janet check you out." He suddenly grinned. "She really is sweet on you, you know. Great cook too."

Daniel made his way to the infirmary, thankful that he didn't encounter many people on the way. Janet saw him enter and was at his side in a flash. "What happened?" she asked with slightly more than professional concern in her voice.

"Oh, just a little accident."

She ushered him over to a bed so that he could sit and she could examine him properly, slipping on a pair of gloves. "Let me guess. Colonel O'Neill?"

"Why would you say that? Ow!"

"Sorry." She continued to examine his face. "Just a hunch." Daniel raised his eyebrows. "I saw the look on his face yesterday after he um..." She trailed off.

Daniel didn't say anything although he knew to what she was referring. She must have been beside him when he'd made the discovery and had obviously put two and two together. He wondered how many other people knew, and what gossip was floating around...not that he cared for himself, but Sam didn't need that as well.

"So am I right?" she persisted. "Were you two fighting?"

Daniel grimaced. There didn't seem to be much point in denying it, not to her anyway. He wondered idly if what Jack had said about her was true. "Well, not fighting exactly. More like my head just ran into his fist a couple of times. Nothing major."

"And you're lucky it IS nothing major." She got some cotton wool and antiseptic and began to clean the blood from his nose and face. "You know I'm going to have to report this."

He pulled his head away. "Ow! Do you have to?"

She nodded and continued her swabbing. "Regulations."

He pulled away again. "But I'm not military."

"No, but you work in a military instillation. So I'm afraid rules are rules."

He reached out and grabbed her wrist gently when she would have continued her ministrations, forcing her to look at him. "Couldn't we just...you know, bend them a little." Janet went to shake her head. "Please?" He released her hand and gave her his best pleading look.

"Doctor Jackson..."

"Daniel."

"Daniel, I think it's going to be pretty obvious that something happened to your face."

"Yes, but we don't have to say what. Besides, it's all sorted out."

"It is?" Daniel nodded. "Well, I'm glad to hear THAT!" She gave him a genuine smile. "So, care to give me a few details of your adventures while I finish up here?"

Daniel shook his head, deciding to live a little dangerously. "I've got a better idea. Why don't you join me in the commissary later and I'll tell you all about it?"

Janet smiled again. "You're on," she said brightly. "Now just hold still and we'll be finished in a jiffy."

An hour later, it took him that long to work up the courage, Jack knocked on the door to Samantha's room knowing she would be there.

"Colonel," she acknowledged warily as she opened the door.

"Just Jack. And this time I really would like to talk...Sam. If that's okay with you," he added quickly.

"Of course. Come in, take a seat." He sat on the room's only chair while she took up a casual position on the bed. "So what do you want to talk about?" she asked.

"Basically I wanted to apologize for acting like a jerk."

"You were jealous," she said with a nod.

"Ah...yeah."

"I understand that, but Jack if you'd just let me explain..."

He put up his hand for her silence. "No need. Daniel's already filled me in on everything. Sort of rammed it down my throat actually."

"Everything?" she asked tentatively.

"Pretty much I'd say."

"Oh, God!" She covered her face with her hands. "He shouldn't have done that," she said with a spark of anger.

"Sam." He waited until she returned her eyes to his and then he said, "It's okay. He really cares about you...and so do I." He looked at her sympathetically. "I'm so sorry for what you had to go through. I'd be mad as all hell at Daniel for getting you into the situation in the first place except that I know he's madder at himself than I could ever be so what's the point?"

"It wasn't anyone's fault," Samantha insisted. "It was just one of those things that no-one could have foreseen." She paused. "Not like the other," she added softly looking away.

"That wasn't your fault...not from where I'm sitting."

"It was," she insisted quietly, "but I've come to terms with it a little now, thanks to Mowgli." She successfully kept the tears at bay that the mere mention of his name always caused.

There was silence for a moment and then Jack continued, "Well, anyway, I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you through all this, though to be honest I probably wouldn't have handled things very well anyway so it's probably better that I wasn't. I'm grateful that Daniel was," he said quietly, sincerely.

"He was so..." She broke off. "I don't know what I would have done without him."

Jack nodded. "And I'm sorry about Mowgli too. He sounds like an engaging little critter. You must have loved him a lot."

"I did." She blinked back the tears that threatened again at the thought of his impish little grin.

Noticing her distress Jack moved to sit beside her on the bed and took her hand. "Oh, Sam I've missed you so much and I'm sorry I made it such a miserable homecoming for you. I wish..." He sighed. "Daniel seems to think we should just blow off all this protocol stuff and live dangerously. I so wish we could." He looked directly at her "But Sam, you know why we can't."

She nodded, her eyes full of tears again, but for a different reason this time. "It's all right. Daniel doesn't understand but I do. As long as I know that you still care."

"Oh, Sam I care. I care so much that it drives me crazy not being able to touch."

"Even after what I've done?" She refused to meet his eyes.

"We all do things out of character at times because we're human not robots. You're still the same Sam to me...always will be. Oh, God, don't cry," he groaned as the tears began to spill down her cheeks. "Oh, to hell with it.

Come here." He pulled her into his arms and held her tightly.

"I missed you so much," she sobbed. "I kept wondering if I'd ever see you again."

"Well, you're back now and you're stuck with me although it beats me why."

She pulled away swiping at her eyes to look at him. "What do you mean?"

"Well, Daniel's a great guy...for a geek," he couldn't resist adding. "You two obviously got on like a house on fire. You spent all that time together in close proximity so why didn't you fall for him?"

She smiled. "It's funny, Daniel and I were wondering along similar lines last night although the question was why hadn't he fallen for me which I think in his case was pretty obvious."

"Sha're."

"Right. You know, he still misses her terribly." She paused remembering a certain night and then continued. "Anyway, the answer is just plain chemistry. There's no rhyme nor reason to it, it's either there or it isn't and there's not a damn thing we can do about it."

Jack nodded. "I think I can live with that." They smiled warmly at each other.

"Hey, why don't we go grab some lunch and you can tell me some of your adventures? I'd love to hear more about Mowgli."

"Sure. There's a lot I'd like to tell you if you're interested."

"Oh, I'm interested," he stated dryly and there was no mistaking the double meaning. "I'm definitely interested." She smiled and climbed off the bed but Jack grabbed her hand. "Wait a minute." He rose and stood in front of her taking her face gently in his hands. "Welcome back, Sam," he whispered as he touched his lips to hers in the lightest of kisses. She smiled into his eyes and then a knock came on the door. She broke the contact, quickly wiping the last traces of tears from her eyes and went to answer it. It was General Hammond.

"Major. Ah, Colonel O'Neill you're here too, good...saves me from having to track you down."

"We were just on our way to the commissary, General," Jack explained.

"I'll walk with you." They started down the hall. "I just came to tell you, Major that yours and Doctor Jackson's applications to return to work have been approved. You can start back again tomorrow if you so choose."

"I do. Thank you, Sir."

"Now on to another matter." He turned towards Jack. "Colonel, there's a rumour floating round, as yet unsubstantiated, that you and Doctor Jackson were involved in some form of physical fight earlier. Care to explain?"

"Not fight exactly, Sir. More like Daniel stuck his face out and my fist connected it several times."

"Oh, Colonel you didn't!" Samantha said horrified.

"Hey, don't blame me. It was all his idea."

"Am I to take it, Colonel that there's some kind of problem between the pair of you?"

"No, Sir. It was a personal matter and it's been resolved."

"I hope so, Colonel for your sake."

They entered the commissary to find Daniel and Teal'c already firmly ensconced there. Daniel looked up, saw them together, noted their expressions and smiled happily. "Hey Jack, Sam over here," he beckoned. "General," he included belatedly.

Jack and Samantha turned to Hammond. "You're dismissed," he said. "Some other time," he called to Daniel. He watched Jack and Samantha join their friends and listened for a few seconds, tuning in on Daniel's voice since the others had their backs to him.

"Hey, try the pie, Sam, with ice-cream! No, nothing broken. You don't hit as hard as you think you do. Teal'c agrees. Really, tomorrow? That's great! Janet'll be along in a few minutes. Oh, this pie is sooo good."

General Hammond smiled to himself. It sounded like life was back to normal for SG1 and not before time. For a while it had seemed that there was going to be a problem or two but thankfully they had sorted themselves out and things were back on track. It was a cause for celebration! Maybe he'd try some of that pie too!

The end!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to KT