Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Other Life 4: Bye-Bye SG-1

by Kitty S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Other Life IV- Bye-Bye Sg-1

The Other Life IV- Bye-Bye Sg-1

by Kitty S

The Other Life IV- Bye-Bye Sg-1
AUTHOR: Kitty S
EMAIL: KittyStrawberries@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Angst, Romance, Series (The Other Life)
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: The 10 Commandments
SEASON / SEQUEL: 5; sequel to The Other Life III- Moving On
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: When Sam comes back, she decides she wants off Sg-1.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I did this all out of what I thought was in my head... the whole medical thing... if its wrong in here.. then its wrong... no doubt about it! >.

Sam paid the taxi that drove her to her house from the airport; she grabbed her overnight bag and took out her keys from her pocket. She walked in her house and played her answering machine. There were four messages, Janet, Mark, Tara, and General Hammond. She was disappointed, she had hoped that Jack would have called but he didn't. Janet called looking for her, not knowing where she had gone. Mark called asking how she was; Hammond had called him to let him know about Tom. And Tara, she called and asked to come and visit her the next time she had time. Hammond just wanted to know when she would be back.

She picked up the phone and called Jack first. The phone rang for a while and Sam just gave up. Either he wasn't home, or he just didn't want to talk to her. She then dialed General Hammond and told him that she would be back to work first thing in the morning.

Sam felt like she was falling, falling from a mountain into a river...down down she went. She was crying. She knew that it was her fault; she knew she should have told Jack about Tom, but she didn't and she was paying the price for it. She sat on her couch and cried herself to sleep.

She didn't know what time it was when she awoke. But the constant ringing of her telephone brought her back to reality. "Hello" she answered. "Sir? What time is it?" it was General Hammond.

"It's 0900, I thought you were coming in today." He wasn't angry with her, maybe if it were any other time. But now, he knew she went through some emotional trips.

"I'm sorry Sir, I'll be right in." She got up and walked to her bedroom, dressing while talking.

"You don't have to come in today. I understand."

"No Sir, I'll be there."

"Okay then, see you soon."

"Sir?"

"Yes Major?"

"Thank you... Uncle George."

He chuckled. "You're welcome Sam."

She walked looked at herself in the mirror and groaned as she saw her puffy eyes. She put on cover up and walked out the door. She droved to the mountain and checked in, because of her rushing she forgot all about Jack, and how awkward it would feel. Maybe it was best if she left sg-1.

She walked into the locker room and changed into her uniform. When she walked out she bumped into Jack. She just stared, she didn't know what to say. "Major." He acknowledged. He called her 'Major' she was crushed. "Sir." She lowered her eyes to her left hand and looked at the ring he had given her. She regretfully took it off, and handed to Jack. "Um, Jack..." she started to say but was interrupted. "Thank you Major." With that he just walked away.

Sam felt her heart being ripped out of her chest. It was clear he didn't want anything to do with her. She loved sg-1, but she had to do it, for the sake of the team... she had to leave. It was her only choice; she and Jack obviously couldn't even hold a minute conversation. How were they supposed to function as a team, it would be too dangerous.

Sam looked down at her hand, there was a reminder around her finger. A thin visible tan line. She headed to the briefing room where they were to meet and took her seat, she avoided everyone's eyes. After General Hammond had his say about the objective of their mission they were dismissed. Sam stayed behind and walked with Hammond to his office. "Was there something you needed?"

"Um, Sir, I think that it would be best if I left sg-1."

He expected this, the way they wouldn't even look at each other in the briefing room. "Well, I guess we can arrange that, but I'm afraid it may take a while. So, you go on the mission today, and we'll probably have you in a different team."

"Thank you Sir."

Hammond didn't want to ask what happened, it was clear that she and O'Neill didn't work out, and he would wait until she came to him. He hated that this happened to her, to see her so sad and depressed at her age, when she should be full of love and happiness. He had been there with Jonas, how he was a drunk and didn't know how to treat a woman properly. After that, she picked up her life and started to live again, fell in love with Tom. He was there when things went south after the accident, how she struggled to find herself again, to wake up in the morning and try to not cry.

Somehow she did it, she did it again, and she got on with her life and allowed herself to fall in love again. And life was just not being fair to her, to have another taken away from her. From what he could see, she went to see Tom and had told him about Jack. Only Jack didn't see it as easy and called off the engagement. He didn't miss the missing engagement ring on her hand during the briefing.

He sighed and started the proper procedure for a transfer to another team. He didn't want to break up the best team, but it has to be done.

The mission was a bore, but Sam enjoyed the surroundings. It was a beautiful planet covered with green grass, blooming flowers and clear skies. All they had to do was walk around for a day and collect samples to compare with earth. To see this world was as good as it looked, and if it would be a good candidate for a colony. If it ever came down to it. This mission would have originally gone to another team, but they were all off world and Hammond thought that Sg-1 had enough excitement for a while anyway.

Colonel O'Neill was sitting under a tree with his feet propped up on the equipment. Teal'c was walking around with Daniel talking about various things, and Sam was collecting samples. After a while of being crouched down, neck bent, Sam decided that it was time for her to take a break. She got up, a groan escaping her lips, and stretched out the kinks in her muscles. She walked around a little and got a drink of water, sat down and looked at the scenery. Awhile later, Daniel and Teal'c joined her. "They're beautiful don't you think." She said to no one in particular.

"The flowers?" Daniel questioned.

Sam nodded, not taking her eyes off of them. Sam's mom loved flowers and had her own green house in their backyard; she guessed that's where her love for plants came from. When she was little, around three her mom took her out to the yard and sang to her. And she witnessed for the first time, a blooming rose, it grew right in front of her eyes. She was amazed and her mother had told her that if you sing and talk to them, they would grow faster. 'Say something', Sam's mother said to her and little Sam said 'Hello' and 'How are you doing' to the flower, as if talking to a person. Ever since, as a memory of her mother, Sam would often talk to her plants. Although she knew it was ridicules, and the scientist part of her knew that it wasn't true.

"Why don't you go over there and talk to it then, Major." Came a sneering reply from Colonel O'Neill.

Sam tried her best to not cry, and she didn't. She just looked at Jack, stared at his face and studied it, to see if he was hurting as she was underneath the mask he was hiding in.

"What the hell are you looking at? Don't you have some samples to collect or something?"

"Yes Sir." Sam walked as far as she can, not so far that she'd get yelled for wondering off at and started to take some more samples. Obviously he was angry with her, and this wasn't a time to talk, to sort things out.

"Jack, what the hell is going on? Are you guys in a fight or something?" Daniel wasn't the only one surprised with Jack, Teal'c also was completely lost.

O'Neill wasn't done blowing off his steam and moved on to Daniel. "Why don't you ever mind your business? Go get some friends outside of the SGC and leave me alone."

Daniel wasn't hurt as he should have been, knowing that these were the little quarks of Jack O'Neill. "OK Jack, I get it, you want to be alone. You don't have to bite my head off." He and Teal'c went back to walking around aimlessly and talked.

About an hour later, the planet started to get dark, and most of the team was starting to get hungry. It was time for the campfire and food, Jack had ordered Carter to collect some fire wood and Daniel to put up the tents. Teal'c prepared to warm up the food and Jack walked around in the dark, keeping to himself.

When Sam came back with the wood Teal'c helped her build fire to it, and started to cook the food. Without saying anything Sam went into the tents and looked through her pack for the first aid kit. The wood had given her a few splinters that were getting sore making the surrounding skin welt. "Carter!" she heard.

She got out of the tent and took her seat with the rest of the team. "What were you doing in there?" Colonel O'Neill questioned. "Just getting some splinters out sir."

"Are you okay?" Daniel asked. "Of course she's okay Daniel, it's just a splinter!" O'Neill answered for her.

"I'm fine Daniel." She assured him. They went back to eating in silence, when Daniel spoke up trying to ease the tension, "Teal'c, this food sucks." It drew a few laughers, minus O'Neill.

"Well, I'm pooped, Carter you got first watch, then wake me." He climbed in the tent and kicked off his boots.

Sam sat by the fire thinking of the situation she was in, She could have had the life she loved, with Tom, but then she gave it up for Jack, not that her decision was wrong but because she was in love with him. No matter how much he was mad at her, she would still always love him, and it hurt her so much to see him close her off like this. Soon, her time was up and she went inside to wake O'Neill. "Sir? Sir, it's your watch." He groaned and got up, not saying a word to Sam.

Jack sat on a stump and looked at the trees, there were something moving on the branches, he got up and got a closer look. One of the creatures looking very much like a monkey came up close boldly and grabbed Jack's cap from his head. "Hey! You stupid monkey!" he jumped up onto the tree, grabbed on to one of the branches and tried to get his cap back. He swung at the monkey and lost his balance and fell on his arm. He groaned, blinked the black blotches from his eyes and swore that the monkey was laughing at him.

"Sir, are you OK?" she asked with concern.

It was Carter. "D'Oh! My arm hurts like hell." She took a look at his arm and didn't think it was broken, but dislocated.

She went back to the tent and came out with some pills and water, "Here sir, take this. I think we should just go back home."

"Why, you can't set it?"

"'I can, but wouldn't you rather have Janet do it, we were set to go back home the first thing in the morning anyway."

"Ugh, I guess. Wake Danny up and tell him to start dialing."

Sam went over to the tent and woke Daniel up; Teal'c was already awake from hearing O'Neill fall. "What's going on?"

"The Colonel fell, were headed home now."

"Fell from what?"

"I believe he was chasing a primate from a tree." Teal'c supplied.

Daniel groaned, got himself up, and saw for himself. "God Jack, what did you do to your self?"

"That dammed monkey had my hat!"

"Well, did you at least get it back?"

"NO! Let's move out!"

Sg-1 gated back to Earth and explained to Hammond the reason for their early arrival, and headed towards the infirmary. Everyone was in their own bed getting needles poked into their butts when they heard it. "AAHHHHHHH!!! Doc! Are you pissed at me?"

"Hold on colonel, almost there..." She pulled on his arm once more.

"AAHHHHHHHH!!!"

She felt the bone fall into place. "OK, were done, let me give you something for the pain."

"Couldn't you have thought about that before you pulled on my arm?" he hissed.

After injecting O'Neill with some pain meds she dismissed the nurses and came by to the rest of the team.

"So, scuttlebutt says that he fell off of a tree chasing a monkey." She said while taking their temperatures.

"You don't know Jack." Daniel mumbled with the thermometer in his mouth.

Janet collected the thermometers. "Well, Daniel and Teal'c you're free to go."

"Uh, what about me?" Sam asked.

"Sam, you got a slight temperature. How are you feeling?"

"Umm, good I guess, I got somewhat of an itch on my hands though." She pulled out her hands for Janet to see.

Her hands were blistered red and purple. "Wow, how did you get those?" She got some alcohol swabs and rubbed it on the swollen hands.

"Um, I don't know, I think it's from the splinters. I pulled them out and a while later they just started to itch. It's not bad is it?"

"I don't know, probably some germs were in the fragments and they got into your body. That's what's causing your fever too, just a little infection. Here, lay down."

"Okay."

"So, how's everything, from what I gather things didn't go so well with Colonel O'Neill. And what's going to on between you and Tom?"

"Umm, well, Jack didn't take it so well, he called off the engagement. And it's over with Tom, I told him about Jack and he gave me his best wishes. So I guess I'm single again."

"Honey, I'm so sorry."

"That's okay, I brought this on myself, and I should have told him before, I was basically living a lie. I guess I should be grateful that this didn't happen when I got married to Jack."

"No Sam, this isn't your fault. I don't really know what to say, but just don't give up. I know he loves you, he can't just look the other way."

"Thanks. I guess I would understand if he wanted to move on, Tom was when I told him I had a new life and I guess it wouldn't be fair if held Jack back."

"Still, don't loose hope." Janet grabbed an IV bag full of antibiotics and slid the needle gently into Sam's vain. "Just get some rest; I'll inform General Hammond that the debriefing will have to be delayed. Do you want something to help you sleep?"

"No, that's okay, I'm a bit tired anyway."

"Okay then. I'll send a nurse to check up on you after a few minutes." Janet pulled over the curtains to give Sam some privacy and took their medical files over to Hammond's office.

Sam didn't realize how tired and sleep she was until she was laying in a bed by herself. Her eyelids slowly drooped closed and she fell asleep.

Janet walked up the stairs toward Hammond's office, she knocked on the door and walked in after hearing his permission. "What do you have for me Doctor Fraiser?"

She took her seat and passed him over O'Neill and Carter's files. "Well, Colonel O'Neill dislocated his arm from falling off a tree, and Major Carter has a mild infection caused by splinters."

"That has been a famous story around here. I heard he was after a monkey."

"Yes, it seems that the perpetrator has stolen Colonel O'Neill's cap."

"Well, the debriefing was actually for Major Carter anyway, so I'll be down in the infirmary later to see how she is." He leaned back on his chair. "How is she anyway?"

"Well sir, the bacteria is from an alien world, and I'm not certain but after the antibiotics she will make a full recovery."

"That's good to know, but I was talking about emotionally."

"Oh, that. Well, she's doing well considering what had happened."

"Well, don't let me keep you. I'm sure you have a lot to do, I'll be down in an hour or so."

"Yes sir."

Janet walked back to the infirmary and checked up on O'Neill. From what she can tell he was counting the hairs on his hand. "Getting bored?"

He sat up, startled. "Doc, when am I getting out of here? No offense but you people with them needles are dangerous."

She didn't recognize the humor. "Now, you may go now."

He let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks." He gingerly got himself off the bed, trying not to jostle his injured arm.

After watching him go, she went back to Sam's bed to check on her vitals. She didn't expect her temperature to be so high. She called for her nurses for help and tried to get Sam to wake up. "Sam! Sam, can you hear me? You need to wake up now." She tapped her cheeks to get her out from her sleep. They were so warm.

There was a light moan. "Janet? What time is it?"

"Sam, you have a very high temperature, we need to cool you down now. Okay?" She turned to make sure if the nurses were filling the tub with water and ice.

She sighed and closed her eyes again. "Tired."

"I know, but you can't sleep yet. Okay? Just stay awake a bit more."

After hearing Janet's commanding voice, Jack walked back to the infirmary to see what was going on. He stood at the door seeing two nurses filling a tub with water and ice and another one with Janet carrying Sam over to the tub. 'What's wrong with her?' he thought and walked in to get a closer look and to see if anyone can tell him anything.

"Sam, were going to put you in the tub now." They brought her over to the tub and gently lowered her down to the near freezing water.

Sam gasped and thrashed at the sudden cold. She was freezing. "Sam, you have to stay still." Sam obeyed, too tired to pull away from the restraining hands. She lay there shivering, her lips slowly turning blue.

End Part 4

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kitty S