Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Fresh Starts Part 3

by Kirsty841
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Fresh Starts Part 3

Fresh Starts Part 3

by Kirsty

Summary: here it is. part 3. the first bit that ties into canon. there's still more to come yet though!
Category: Angst, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 001 Stargate - The Movie, 101 Children of the Gods
Season: Season 1
Pairing: Jack/Janet
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor character death, minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/24/03

Fresh Starts. Part 3.

Janet was asleep when she heard the phone ringing. She stretched out her hand from under the nice warm covers and tried to find the offending object. Except it wasn't there. Janet's brain hadn't quite registered where she was yet. She was sure the phone should be on her bedside table. Except that wasn't there either. Finally, deciding that her vision would probably be useful at the moment, she reluctantly opened her eyes and realised where she was. In the bedroom that she hadn't got used to waking up in yet. In the bedroom where the phone was over the other side of the room, which meant she'd have to get out of bed to answer it. Cursing softly she crawled out of bed and retrieved the still ringing phone, she hadn't got around to setting up the answering machine yet. Thankfully the phone was a cordless so she climbed back under the covers before answering it.

"Hello." She said, with a sleepy voice that she exaggerated slightly. She wanted whoever was on the other end to know exactly what they were putting her through by waking her up at whatever time it was at the moment.

"Hey, it's me." Oh God! Why is he always so cheerful on the phone?

"Hi," she said with as much enthusiasm as she could muster, which at the moment wasn't much.

"You Ok? Did I wake you up or something? You sound half asleep."

"No it's Ok. Had to get up to answer the phone anyway."

"You know, that line's been done to death," she winced at the word, "do you want me to call back later?"

"No, it really is Ok."

"So how come you were asleep? I didn't count the time difference the wrong way again did I?" despite the way she was feeling she had to smile at that. The first time Jack had called her in Washington he'd tried to catch her just before she left for work. Unfortunately he'd somehow worked the time out wrong and called her two hours before her alarm clock had gone off.

"No you didn't."

"So how come you're in bed at four in the afternoon?"

"Is it that early?" she complained as she sank lower under the covers, where her nice warm spot she been curled up on had started to cool.

"Janet? Is there something wrong?" now he was starting to sound worried. Was she sick or something? She'd tell him if she was sick. Wouldn't she?

"Not really," she was suddenly assaulted with the images of her night at work. The people she'd worked on for hours trying to save and had not been able to. "Actually, yeah, kinda."

"Wanna tell me?"

"Sure you wanna hear it?"

"If it helps, then yeah."

"I had to stay at work last night. I was supposed to finish at six, but there was a huge road accident and they asked me to stay behind and help out. I didn't get home until nine this morning. We lost nearly everyone in the crash. God Jack, it was horrible. There was just nothing we could do. Most of them didn't stand a chance of surviving..." she could hear the tremors in her voice and stopped talking to catch her breath before she broke down completely. He probably thought she was being ridiculous. It wasn't like she'd never lost a patient before. She was a Doctor in the Air Force, it was part of the job description, but the kids...There were three children involved in the crash, all siblings, two had died in the hospital, the other had survived. She'd heard the nurse say this morning how lucky the kid was to still be alive, but Janet wasn't so sure. Both the parents were dead too. That poor child, completely orphaned in a matter of hours, god knows what would happen to her now...

"Janet!" she heard Jack yell down the phone, he must've been calling her name for a while. Quietly she replied,

"Yeah, I'm still here."

"Jesus, I thought you'd passed out or something, you weren't answering me."

"Sorry."

"It's Ok. Are you Ok?"

"Not really, but I will be. I guess working in such a busy place after the last few months has taken it's toll on me. Don't worry, I'll get used to it again."

"Ok. Do you still want me to come over at the weekend?"

"Yes!" Ok that sounded a lot more desperate than she meant it to. She could feel the blush rising on her cheeks and could hear the soft laugh he gave on the end of the phone.

"Missin' me are ya?"

"I am actually. It'll be nice to see a familiar face. Miss me?"

"Yeah. I've been really bored for the last two weeks." They both paused for a moment, unsure what to say next.

"Um, Jack, no offence, but I've gotta go back to work in a few hours and I could really do with some more sleep before I go."

"Oh, yeah Ok, I'll see you Friday night then?"

"Yep, you definitely will."

"Ok. See ya."

"Ok. Jack?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

"Anytime."

"Bye."

"Bye." Jack slowly placed the phone back in it's holder. Janet had sounded awful on the phone. She'd also scared the life out of him when she'd gone silent. Didn't she know you weren't supposed to do that to people his age? He'd wanted nothing more than to be able to hug her and make her feel better. Still, he'd be able to do that at the weekend. It had been two weeks since Janet had left for Washington, and consequently two weeks since he'd seen her. They'd talked on the phone a lot, but decided not to see each other last weekend so that she could get settled into her new place and get used to her new job and everything. Logically, he knew it was a good idea, but he still wished he could see her sooner. Now he just had to occupy himself for the next two days until he flew out to Washington. He wasn't lying when he'd said he was bored. Most of the stuff he had planned to do on the house had been done. He really did miss Janet too. He missed just having someone to spend time with, someone to eat dinner with, someone to sit and watch TV with.

That night, Jack sat on his roof, watching the stars as usual. They'd always fascinated him and he'd always wondered what it would be like in space. Technically, he'd already been there, but you don't really get to see much when you're broken down into molecules and thrown from one planet to another at who knows what speed. He'd have loved to have gone to NASA, but his grades weren't nearly high enough. He was no dummy, but he was no Daniel Jackson either. He was using the telescope. He didn't usually when Janet was up here with him. Mainly because it's quite difficult for two people to look through a telescope at the same time. They'd accidentally tried to once, but ended up banging heads and nearly giving each other concussion. Which was one thing he wasn't planning on telling anyone, ever. A retired full bird USAF Colonel and an MD banging head by looking through the same telescope. People probably wouldn't believe it anyway. Yeah, like he said, he was no dummy. It was cold tonight. He couldn't believe that just a few weeks ago he'd been sat in his back yard with Janet in just his shorts and t-shirt.

He heard the car pull up on the driveway, but made no attempt to move or let whoever it was know where he was. If it was someone important they'd find him. He heard the knock on the front door, and then,

"Sir, there's a ladder over here," Sir? What the hell? He heard someone else climb up the ladder, but didn't turn around. If they were gonna be rude enough to just climb up his ladder without asking, he sure as hell wasn't going to be polite to them.

"Colonel Jack O'Neill?"

"Retired."

"I'm Major Samuels."

"Air Force?"

"Yes Sir," Now what? Can't a guy just retire anymore?

"I'm the General's Executive Officer." Oh, well good for you kid.

"Want a little piece of advice Major? Get reassed to NASA. That's where all the action's gonna be. Out there."

"I'm, uh, I'm under orders to bring you to see General Hammond sir."

"Never heard of him."

"He replaced General West," uh oh,

"He says it's important," not good,

"It's to do with the Stargate." Oh shit!

Hope you're enjoyin' these. Next part will be up as soon as I've written it!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kirsty