Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

My Small Gift

by Kira Rothery
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
My Small Gift

My Small Gift

by Kira Rothery

Summary: The Goa'uld learns of a Hok'tar baby on the earth base and attack to take it.
Category: Drama
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Janet/other
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 06/20/03

PREVIOUSLY ON STARGATE SG-1
(Flashback to `35 Days Lost' and `The Truth')

Scene: Control room for the Stargate, General Hammond, Jack O'Neill and Sam Carter are listening to Jonas through an open wormhole:

Quinn: "Sir, at 0800 this morning, Doctor Frasier was discovered to be missing from her tent. Teal'c, myself and two of the medics have been searching for her since with no clues or sign as to where she went."

Scene: Doctor Frasier stands in an unknown strange room, talking to an Asgard:

Gerd: "I am Gerd of the Asgard; I have brought you here to my laboratory because I am in need of your assistance." Frasier: "How can I help you?"
Gerd: "I am here caring for a child from a race known as the Ancients... she has picked up the illness the ones above have. So far, everything I have given her has been ineffective"

Scene: Doctor Frasier is listening to the conversations going on over her radio:

Frasier: "Do you know where Jonas is?"

Gerd Nods

Scene: Jonas and Janet lay cuddled together in a bed within Gerd's lab, Gerd enters:

Quinn: "Janet's sick... I don't know how to help Isoka and I don't know how to help Janet" Frasier: "Help me up, I can help her."

Scene: When Janet is well she and Jonas talk to Gerd about leaving:

Quinn: "We've done what you brought Janet down here to do, can we go home now?"

Scene: Janet enters her room with good news:

Frasier: "Get your things Jonas, we're out of here."

Scene: Janet opens her front door to see Jonas standing in the rain, he takes a step forward, cups her face in his hands, and before she can say anything, he kisses her.

Scene: Infirmary

Anise: "The Goa'uld have plans to attack a planet where an Asgard base is hidden." Hammond: "We need to get to that planet"

Scene: Janet is standing by the DHD trying to control a bout of pain and ends up collapsed on the floor trying to curl up while Sam, Jonas and Jack hold her down.

Scene: Asgard hidden base

Gerd: "I must settle the child within her before it is killed." Jonas: "Child within?"
Sam: "That's just not possible"
Isoka: "Yes it is. I gave her what her heart desired most."

Scene: SG-1 is attempting to convince Gerd to leave before the Goa'uld attack.

Gerd: "I will not leave this lab unless the Asgard demands it."

Scene: Isoka runs into the room and clings to Janet

Isoka: "The Goa'uld are here!"

Scene: Janet and Isoka are running for the gate when Janet is grabbed by Sam.

Sam: "Janet!"
Janet: "Thanks Sam, I needed a heart attack, you made me let go of Isoka."

Scene: Janet appears though the gate, she stops half way down and turned to see Isoka and Gerd appear. Hearing the guns she shouts

Janet: "DON'T SHOOT, THEY'RE WITH US!!!"

Scene: Infirmary, Warner is explaining the results of Janet's medical to General Hammond

Warner: "She's pregnant."
Hammond (reading): "Doctor Janet Frasier, MD, was forced to under go a hysterectomy after being beaten by her husband"

Scene: The SGC, Janet's private quarters, General Hammond enters

Hammond: "By order from both General Ryan and the President I am to give you the following choices on how you proceed. You give up the child and continue where you are. You keep the child and transfer to a different less dangerous base. Or you sign an acceptance form, keep your child and remain with us." Teal'c: "I believe you will find the cure that my people need, but I will honour your choice as much as the others."

A single Jaffa walks the corridor of the Goa'uld ship he has served on for the last 2 years. Something was different today. He usually walked the corridor from communications to his commander with nothing of interest to report, but today he had something that Anubis himself would want to hear. Turning the corner he stepped into the main deck of the ship and, standing in front of Anubis, he bowed before stating his reasons for coming before him.

"My Lord Anubis, I come to you with interesting news about the Humans of Earth."

"Continue." Anubis ordered.

"Our intelligence reports that the female doctor of the Earth base carries a child of great importance, a gift from the ancient people and the mix of her lover, my Lord." He pauses for effect but receives nothing he expected. "The child is said to be Hok'Tar"

Hearing this Anubis rose to his feet.

"I want that child."

Janet stepped of the second elevator and started along the corridor, she was exhausted before she reached the infirmary. She never imagined that being pregnant could be so wonderful and at the same time so painful and exhausting.

Taking a final deep breath she pushed the door open and stepped inside. She discarded her jacket and bag in the locker just inside her office and strolled into the main part of the infirmary. Stopping to look around she spotted Isoka standing in the door she had just entered through. She had the cleaning equipment Janet would only have to get in a few minutes.

"I want to help." Isoka told her. "Gerd has been back with the Asgard for four weeks now, I have nothing to do and I want to help."

After listening to Isoka, Janet heard the sound of foot steps in the medical corridors and turned to see her whole nursing staff step into the room followed by Doctor Warner, half of them she noted weren't even due to be on duty today.

"We're here to help too." Emma Sven said being in the front of the group.

Smiling, Janet accepted the help and started giving out orders. She had been told that an Ambassador would be visiting the base today and everything had to be perfect before he arrived. He would be here at 0900 and it was currently 0800 hours. With this much help Janet knew she would finish with plenty of time to spare. With this thought she set to work with the rest of her staff.

Isoka stuck her head around the corner for the thousandth time since she left the infirmary; she had seen General Hammond go down there with a few airmen and knew that he was going to meet the visiting Ambassador. She wanted to see him. She'd only seen the people assigned to the base since she got here and they wouldn't let her leave for fear the NID would take her.

Popping her head around again she saw the elevator doors open and she jumped back; she was a little scared of what this guy might say about her. General Hammond approached the corner she was behind explaining to the Ambassador more about the base than she had heard and tell him where they would be visiting and in what order according to the itinerary the General had worked out weeks ago when the Ambassador asked to visit.

Stepping around the corner and passing Isoka he stopped. Glancing behind him at Isoka he excused himself from his visitor and stepped over to her.

"Isoka, you should be in your room." He pointed out. Isoka stole a glance and their guest and looked up at the General, she said nothing. "Mr Ambassador, this is Isoka." He said taking the hint.

"Hello." The Ambassador greeted with an accent Isoka hadn't yet heard. She found it strange and wanted to hear more - she didn't have to wait long. "Keeping children on the base now, General?" He asked.

"Not usually. Isoka is a guest from another planet. The Goa'uld attacked and we had to take her and an Asgard from the planet and we're waiting for the Asgard to return for her." The General explained watching the Ambassador approach Isoka

"How old are you?" He asked smiling at her.

"10, so I'm told." She didn't really know how old she was in Earth years, she'd only been told that's `about' how old she was.

"And what brings a 10 year-old girl to this corridor at this time of day?" The Ambassador asked wondering if she was there to sneak a look at him or just because she had nothing to do.

"I wanted to see you." She said making him smile.

"Well then, now that you've seen me, what do you want to do?" Isoka shrugged, and jumped back to one of the airman as the Ambassador extended his hand. "Why don't you stay with me then?" Isoka looked at his hand; she'd never really stayed with anyone except Janet, Jonas and Jack. She accepted and took his hand, stealing a look at the General she wondered if he liked this or not, he didn't look like he minded.

"Shall we continue Mr. Ambassador?" General Hammond asked after watching him with Isoka

"Yes, where did you say we were going first?"

"The infirmary sir, I need to have Doctor Frasier take a blood sample just to check for..."

"Illnesses" Isoka chimed in; she'd had the same test.

"Right, onward then" The Ambassador said then turned to Isoka "I don't like needles."

Janet stood in the centre of her office. She had previously been pacing the floor, but walking was now uncomfortable just as sitting had become. Her back and legs where aching and she would give anything for the chance to lie down, but she knew the General's first stop with his guest was there.

Running her hands over her uniform, she attempted to straighten it out, but this proved harder to do with an 8 month old baby inside her, oh how she couldn't wait until tomorrow, 3 hour shift then nothing until 4 months after the baby was born.

Hearing the door to the Infirmary open Janet stepped out of her office and was greeted by Isoka and the visitor and followed quickly by General Hammond. Janet was shocked to see Isoka there, she had told her to go directly to her room.

"Doctor Frasier this is Ambassador William Davidson from England."

"Nice to meet you Doctor. I hear you have to take blood for tests." He asked hoping she would say it wasn't necessary.

"I'm afraid I do Mr Ambassador." Janet offered spotting the fact that he wasn't looking forward to it.

"He doesn't like needles." Isoka said then catching the glance she got from Janet she added, "I better get back to my room." She quickly turned and left. The Ambassador couldn't help but laugh.

"This way Sir and it will be over before you know it." Janet showed him to one of the beds and he jumped up getting comfortable.

"Hmm... much more comfortable than our hospital beds." He said as Janet started to sort out the equipment she needed.

Watching her ready the needle Ambassador Davidson lost his nerve and quickly looked away and tried desperately for something to talk about just to keep his mind off what was about to happen.

"So, erm, when's the baby due?" He asked hoping it would ease his nerves.

"Less than a month." Janet said turning to him.

"And you're still working?" e asked a little shocked

"Today and tomorrow, which will put me three weeks from my due date" She told him then added "You need to take off your jacket and roll up your sleeve." He complied.

"Is that rules and regulations or your own choice?" He asked rolling up his sleeve and still not daring to look at the needle she had prepared.

"My choice, I could have stopped three weeks ago, but I think I would have just gone mad at home alone for that long." She said tying the rope around his upper arm and collecting her needle. "Just relax." The Ambassador carried on with questions, this time on a new subject.

"How many staff do you get down here?" Janet stood straight

"On a good day we have at least one doctor and eight nurses and on the bad days we can have anything up to four doctors and thirty nurses."

"Wow that's a lot." He said watching her walk away. "Are you done already?" He asked

"Yes Sir, I told you it would be over before you knew it." She smiled.

"She's good; can I take her back to England with me?" The Ambassador joked to the General. The General laughed and looked over at the now smiling doctor before saying.

"If I let you take her I'll lose two of my best." The General pointed out.

"Two?"

"Yes, Doctor Frasier is the best Doctor available and her boyfriend is on my lead team."

"Ahh, I'll have to meet him, he's a lucky man." The Ambassador commented jumping off the bed and following the General out of the room.

No sooner had the General and his visitor stepped out of the infirmary than the lights on base lit up along with the sound of the alarms. Before the General could react there was a voice over the intercom.

"Medical Emergency in the Control Room, repeat, Medical Emergency in the Control Room."

Almost instantly after this announcement three medical officers appeared out of the infirmary running in the direction of the control room. Janet followed them out moments later, not running, but walking as quickly as her aching legs would allow, the General and Ambassador fell into step along side her.

Reaching the Control Room Janet stepped inside first and took in the sight; Jonas was flat on his back in the middle of the floor surrounded by the medical team that had set out first. He was unconscious and covered with burns. Janet was at his side instantly.

"What happened?" General Hammond demanded of the technician.

"I'm not sure Sir; Jonas was helping me run the diagnostics when the terminal exploded." He informed them of all he knew.

"What's going on?" Sam asked stepping into the Control Room, but no one got the chance to answer her questions. Behind the glass window of the control room the once static gate now started to spin. The technician took his usual offensive in this situation, sounded the alarms and ordered all military personnel to the gate room.

Janet had tears running down her face, she couldn't stop them, Jonas hadn't responded yet and she couldn't think of what to do. General Hammond realised what was going on in the room and took his usual control.

"Major, deal with the gate and answer any questions Ambassador Davidson has. Nurse, get Jonas to the infirmary and get Doctor Warner to deal with him. Jack..." he started spotting the Colonel walking up the steps to the control room to find out what was going on.

"General?" He asked raising an eyebrow and watching as the three medical officers shifted Jonas from the floor to the gurney and then spotted Janet still on her knees where Jonas had been. "Never mind." He said dropping to his knees in front of Janet and wrapping his arms around her and starting to help her up.

Throughout this, the Ambassador had been transfixed on the Stargate, watching it spin and lock the sequence; he had so many questions in his head he couldn't get them in order fast enough to ask one before more appeared.

"What has transpired General Hammond?" Teal'c voice brought the Ambassador out of his trance and he turned to see a large black man walking towards them, defensively he backed away.

"One of the consoles exploded and injured Jonas. We don't know what the deal is with the gate yet." The General informed him quickly. The Ambassador had gone back to staring at the gate, he had to blink a few times to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him because he could swear that the metal centre was like standing liquid.

"What is the shield for?" He asked. "Is it just me or is it turning translucent?"

"Units at ready." Sam yelled. The Ambassador had confirmed what she was trying to work out and immediately took the initiative to prepare for the worst, it turned out she was right to do so. The iris gave one more flex and out stepped a Jaffa guard, covered in the usual armour and armed with the standard staff weapon. He was ready quickly and shot his weapon at the control room.

Sam, seeing what was about to happen, leapt from her seat and tackled the Ambassador to the ground, covering his head quickly as the glass shattered over them and everyone else in the room. Sam reached up quickly and hit a button on the console that closed the blast doors over the room and as she stood up she could hear the shots being fire and the many feet appearing though the gate.

"Major, get the Ambassador out of here!" the General screamed at her and grabbing the speaker he made his announcement. "All military personnel to the gate room, we are under attack, I repeat we are under attack, this is not a drill. Base lockdown has commenced."

Janet had managed to compose herself in the infirmary just as the announcement was made and had turned on her professional military manner. Shouting orders in all directions she grabbed the now conscious Jonas and pulled him from the bed, he was hurt and in pain, but able to walk and that was the most important thing.

Dragging him out into the corridor and turning right she moved quickly to the end and swiped her access card to get past the locked door. On the other side Isoka stood alone, not a single person was in this section of the base and the child was horrified.

Letting go of Jonas, Janet approached Isoka and pushed her back into her room.

"Stay here sweetie, find somewhere to hide but stay here." Janet quickly pulled the door shut, turned the key and pulled it from the lock. Dropping it in her pocked she wrapped her arm around Jonas again and started to move.

Through two more doors, Janet was heading for the elevator that would get them to level eleven, but three doors before she reached there she stopped. Letting go of Jonas, Janet's hand flew to her stomach and her breath caught.

"Oh, no! Not now!" She pleaded with the baby feeling the first contraction pass by. Jonas had suddenly become aware of the reason for stopping and grabbed Janet quickly around the waist, as he did so the sound of heavy footfalls could be heard ahead.

One staff blast

Two staff blasts

A third staff blast and not only did they hear this one, but they saw it burn slightly into the metal door that blocked the path ahead.

Jonas frantically looked around for some form of escape; this section of the building had no other doors but the one ahead and the one behind. Taking Janet's hand Jonas turned them both back to the door behind them and dug his hand into her pocket for her access card, which had returned there between doors.

Swiping the card quickly he pulled her though, swiped it again and flattened her against the wall as the Goa'uld appeared though the first door.

"This way," Jonas hissed and led her along the corridor and into a room at the other end. He quickly shut the door and pushed a nearby chair against it to block any intruders and then proceeded to pull the cover from over the vent.

"Jonas, I can't crawl though that." Janet said worried she could easily damage herself and he baby if she did something wrong.

"I'll be right behind you Janet, don't worry." He said and extended his hand to her, she stepped forward and took it and he helped her into the shaft.

Anubis was the last to step though the gate. He looked around the gate room and up at the closed blast door. He ordered a group of Jaffa to open the door and take control and then sent the rest back though the gate for more search power.

Janet and Jonas had been crawling though the vents for just under an hour, they had to stop now and again as Janet's breath caught in her chest and she found it hard to breathe from the exhausting crawling. Turning another corner a gun suddenly became ready and they both froze.

"Sam!" Janet breathed in relief. Sam put her gun down and signalled around the corner to the Ambassador. She had been half way to the elevator from a slightly different direction than Janet and Jonas and had also been force to retreat as the Goa'uld blast though the metal doors.

"They've blocked all the elevators, and is it me or are their staff weapons more power..." Sam never got to finish her question she had stopped watching her friend "Janet?" she asked hoping she hadn't been hurt. Jonas swung around and planted one hand on his lovers shoulder and the other on her hand which rested on her contracting stomach.

"We need to get out of here; she can't give birth in the vents." Jonas said cluing Sam into the events.

"We'll be heard. We need to find a room. You two stay here, we'll be back." Sam said leading the Ambassador down the vent in a new direction.

Sam was mentally charting the rooms in her head. She named five rooms then stopped. Looking back she counted the vent turnings behind her then the ones in front of her.

"That's not right." She commented. There should only be eight rooms in this section but she was counting nine turnings. Taking the nearest one to her she found herself looking into a supply closet. Back tracking slightly she found another.

"Two supply closets and an armoury." She said quietly then went forward past the first closet and passing the armoury she poked her head out the vent to find herself in the armoury. "Huh?" She was completely lost now. Stepping back she looked at the Ambassador. "This should be an empty room, that one should be the armoury." She said pointing to the vent she missed.

The Ambassador slid back slightly and slipped down the turning she had pointed to.

"It's empty." He said poking his head back and then vanishing again. Sam heard the vent opening and heard the Ambassador's feet hit the floor of the room and she quickly darted into the crawlspace behind him.

"Not even a door out of here." He said her looking back up at her. Sam poked her head out more and looked around, the room was completely empty and he was right, not even a door out of the room was visible.

"This is perfect, wait here sir." Sam vanished quickly back into the vent and backtracked to Jonas and Janet, when in their sight she signalled for them to follow.

Jonas pushed Janet out ahead of him and they followed Sam back to the room they had found. Sam jumped into the room and the Ambassador, knowing who was coming, came over to give them a hand. Sam and Ambassador Davidson stood under the vent as Jonas helped Janet out from inside. Once she was out of the vent Jonas quickly hopped out and wrapped his arms around her and lowered her to the ground.

"Jonas," Sam said knowing too well that he hasn't met the Ambassador yet. "This is Ambassador Davidson from England. Ambassador this is Jonas Quinn."

"Ah the lucky man to whom the baby belongs." He said shaking Jonas's hand.

"How far along Janet?" Sam asked wounding how long she would have to get supplies.

"This could take a long time Sam, contractions 54 minutes apart and my water hasn't broken yet." Janet said leaning her head against Jonas's shoulder.

"Have you seen Isoka? I think the Goa'uld are after her." Sam asked thinking she should find the girl first.

"I locked her in her room and told her to hide." Sam nodded and headed to the vent. "I'll find her. Hey Jonas," she added before pulling herself into the vent, "The Colonel won't be able to make fun of the fact I know this base inside out after this." Sam said causing Jonas to laugh.

"The ancient princess cannot return to Asgard at this time. We must find a new location for her. We will send out a small scout group to seek this location."

The Asgard high council had been meeting for the last three hours and they had done this for the last month. Gerd still stood in the centre of the council chambers frantically trying to find a way to keep Isoka safe and somewhere she felt welcomed.

"Forgive me Council, why can the child not remain on Earth? She is comfortable with at least four of the humans. She has even gifted one of them. To keep moving her would cause her distress." Gerd pointed out as this idea had only occurred to her that morning.

"An Asgard must be present on the planet at all times; the Goa'uld would attack Earth if they discovered the Asgard had a constant base there." This was said by a different council member as a reason to which Gerd had not thought of, still not completely up to date with the information of the treaty and technology changes.

"You will return to Earth with Commander Thor to retrieve the child and take her to the new location. You will be informed of this new home as soon as one has been found."

The heads in the room bowed and the meeting was adjourned.

Janet was in the midst of another contraction when they small group heard the voices of the Jaffa outside the door, Janet was in enough pain to make her want to scream, but hearing their conversation just beyond the wall she knew screaming was a bad idea.

Ambassador Davidson had been sitting again the opposite wall to Janet and Jonas and had quickly moved to her other side when the voices had started. He wasted no time taking her hand and both men whispered into her ear to keep her calm. It had been six hours and Sam hadn't returned with Isoka or supplies, Janet's contractions were down to 20 minutes apart and she knew that she would soon have to teach Jonas what to do help her.

Janet's contraction receded and she was reduced to controlling her breathing when a noise in the vent caused her to jump.

"Jonas." Sam's voice came louder than Jonas hoped and he quickly jumped up and shushed her. Pulling the vent cover off Jonas found himself face to face with a ton of medical supplies and blankets being slowly pushed towards him. He reached in and grabbed them. Slinging them to the floor he reached in and grabbed hold of an exhausted Sam Carter and pulled her out. Stepping slowly backwards he lowered her feet to the ground and steadied her before picking up one of the blankets and returning to Janet.

"Blimey, did you bring the whole infirmary of just one of the supply closets?" the Ambassador asked at a whisper. Sam chuckled trying to catch her breath then heard the sound of the Jaffa outside the room.

"How long have they been out there?" she asked.

"About 15 minutes, long enough for us to fight another contraction." William informed them bending down the shift though the supplies she had brought.

"I think what you're looking for is in the white box." Sam said receiving a glance from him as he reached for the box and found the painkiller he had been seeking.

"No drugs." Janet breathed. William dropped the drug back into the box and slid up beside her.

"It will help, and with them out there you're gonna find it harder to stop from screaming out." He offered hoping she would change her mind.

"No," she shock her head, "no drugs"

"Ok. Not that I can blame you. I think it's a "doctor's" thing not to have drug for labour. My wife is a doctor and she refused too." He said making Janet smile, he returned to the supplies and found a cool cloth in another box, he handed one to Jonas and taking another he sat himself next to Sam and offered it to her.

Sam accepted it and pushed her face into the cloth and quickly withdrew as she heard a muffled scream from Janet. Janet had her face pushed into Jonas's chest as another contraction washed over her. She was numb with pain and it made her weak and frustrated. Jonas had a worried look on his face but continued to hold her and stroke her hair back from her face.

As the contraction vanished Janet was reduced to sobs and crumbled into Jonas's arms. For so many years Janet had wanted a child, when she had first discovered she was pregnant she was overjoyed and scared for her life at the same time, she knew exactly how her husband would react. Losing the child had her logged of duty for over four months and emotionally she couldn't cope. She had slowly grown used to the idea that having her own children would never be possible, but now here she was fighting the screams that wanted to escape with every contraction as her child readied for birth. Emotionally she was lost, pain stopped her from thinking straight and when she did manage it she was worried what Jonas would be like as a parent and if their relationship would change because of this child.

Realistically she knew the answer, Jonas had been more loving to her than anyone in the world, and that was before the baby. Since they found out about it, he had been her knight in shining armour, always there, always ready to help and always with the soft massaging hands when and where ever she ached. There was really no doubt that nothing would change for the worse, she knew for a fact it would only bring them closer, but still she couldn't help but be worried.

Janet was reduced to more sobs as another contraction ripped though her body. She was torn between fear and pain and that only served to make matters worse. She had a tight hold of Jonas and felt his hands in a firm grip on her shoulders.

Another pair of hand suddenly appeared on her back, rubbing gently as the contraction reached its panicle and receded back to a throb in her stomach. One of the hands on her back moved to her neck, pushing her hair away from her ears she heard Sam whisper to her.

"Janet, how far?" Sam was worried the answer would what she didn't want to hear.

"Fully dilated." Janet breathed against Jonas's chest; it was the answer Sam didn't want to hear.

"Oh God!" Sam said and quickly turned back to the supplies. She had no idea what she needed or how to give birth to a child but she knew Jonas knew less and chances of Janet letting him go were almost none existent. William stepped forward and bending down he grabbed two of the three remaining blankets and started to make a small sit up area on the wall near the couple, giving Sam a few orders they had between them made a small birthing area.

Sam stepped over to Janet who was fighting off the urge to push and pulled her away from Jonas. Jonas, taking the hint, quickly moved to sit in the make-shift bed, his legs apart and helped Sam and William place Janet in front of him.

Once there, Janet relaxed completely, her head resting back on Jonas's shoulder and her hands on his legs. She had no energy to move.

Sam and William continued to set up moving hurriedly. They knew that one of the Jaffa outside the room was waiting for his next orders so what ever they did to get this over with they had to do it quietly. Sam undid the lower buttons on the maternity uniform and covered Janet with the remaining blanket, William grabbed a few of the towels Sam had brought and handed them to her before grabbing a few pairs of gloves.

They were set and ready to go, they just had one problem, Janet would scream as she pushed with the next contraction and they all knew it.

Looking around quickly Sam gave up finding something for Janet to bit down on and reached into her pocket for her pen, a pen Janet had given her. She handed it to Jonas and told him she needed to bit down on it instead of screaming out. Jonas quickly undid it and pulled the ink cartridge out, discarding it; he put the cap back on and held the pen ready.

Janet could feel the next contraction building from the inside her abdomen and she lifted her head slightly. She vaguely heard Sam tell her to push with the next contraction before she was forced to do just that.

Thor's Asgard ship pulled out of hyper drive around Pluto, they had stopped short of Earth as their alarms had picked up two Goa'uld ships approaching Earth. Thor immediately sent out a SOS for backup and slowly eased forward towards their destination.

"Come on Janet, one more push and it will all be over." William was in place with the catcher's mitt and had hold of the baby's head and a slight ease on one of the shoulders. Janet was out of it, no energy left she could barely move let alone push. William was thinking fast. "What are you gonna call this little one?" he needed to keep her with her and now and that was the best he could think of

"Narumi if it's a girl," Janet said stopping for breath "Tobin if it's a boy."

"What are you hoping for" He had expected that Janet didn't know the sex; she seemed to kind to want the surprise.

"A boy." Jonas said.

"A girl." Janet countered elbowing Jonas in the stomach.

"Well if you don't push we'll never find out if its Narumi or Tobin" The Ambassador pointed out feeling the contraction as it pushed on the child he held.

Janet so far had refrained from screaming, but this time she let go, pushing hard she let out the scream that seemed to start in the pit of her stomach and rise quickly. She stopped to catch her breath but that caught in her throat as she heard the small cry of a newborn baby.

Sam quickly wrapped the baby in the towel and they handed the child to mum, held low on her stomach Janet looked down and the now quieting child. Her own blood coated the newborn child and she couldn't help but let tears stream down her face as she looked at the agile face. Jonas was in much the same state he couldn't believe he was a father and couldn't believe how small the child was. He had never seen a newly born baby and he had always thought the blood would put him off, but he looked passed that.

"Janet, Jonas, meet Narumi." Sam said releasing the tears she'd been holding.

The base of the SGC seemed quiet, considering there were around 300 Jaffa in it. There was little movement, Anubis still stood in the gate room and awaiting the Jaffa who would bring him the woman who carried a child of great importance. It has been over six hours and they had failed to find her, the base was locked out and they knew that only four people had made it to the surface. They knew Janet wasn't one of them they had seen her and Jonas retreating behind a metal door, but before they had made it though the couple were gone.

Another Jaffa opened the door to gate room and entered.

"Where is she?" Anubis demanded.

"My Lord Anubis, we have searched the whole facility and have seen no sign of her. There are currently three base personnel and two guests missing." He informed his God.

"Find them." Anubis demanded again causing the Jaffa to jump and retreat quickly.

Sam was back in the vents. She was looking out down the corridor outside the room she had just left Jonas, Janet, William and the new born Narumi in. There was no one around and the Jaffa who had been in the corridor was gone. She wondered how long he had been gone for. Had he heard Janet scream and gone for help to find her? Or had he been gone long enough to miss that?

Sam didn't wait to find out she ducked back into the vent and made her way back the armoury. She gathered all she could and returned to the hidden room.

Pulling all the equipment out of the tunnels Sam made a pile in the corner and then headed back the vents.

"You're going back for more?" Jonas asked from his place still behind Janet.

"No, I'm going looking for others. There have to be more than us left down here." Sam told him

"Can I help?" William spoke up now having nothing to do but watching the lovers studying their new family member.

"Can you get more of these?" Sam asked him, "The room right next door that way has them. Get as much as you can." She told him and then vanished into the vents.

William stripped of his jacket, climbed in behind her and headed in the opposite direction leaving Janet and Jonas alone with little Narumi.

Janet sat in the same place studying the face of the small girl she held in her hands. She hadn't realised right away that something was different but she saw it now. Narumi's face was only slightly different from the face of humans - her mouth was small and in the right place, her nose was fine, her now closed eyes had seemed slightly different but without waking her Janet couldn't say how. But on her small forehead Janet spotted a few small dots of what seemed like bone poking out, they small and almost unnoticeable, but definitely there.

Janet moved one hand and ran her fingers gently across the tiny forehead and over the small dots for confirmation, she didn't realised Jonas had been watching until he followed her movements.

"She's different." Janet said. "That inconsistency in her blood. It didn't mean anything at the time, but she's different somehow."

"She's exceedingly gorgeous." William added bending down in front of the couple for a quick break.

"No, look." Janet took his hand and ran it across her forehead just as she and Jonas had done.

"What are those?" He asked looking back at Janet.

"Isoka's gift." Jonas said. He had a fair idea what was different about his daughter.

"Isoka?" William asked.

"Janet shouldn't have child. She didn't have the ability to carry until we met Isoka: she gave Janet her womb. Isoka is an "Ancient", one of the last survivors of an alien race we hardly know anything about." Jonas thought for a second. "If Narumi had been someone else's child she would probably have been normal, so to speak"

"What?" Janet asked

"You said yourself, my DNA far supposes that of the normal human, she had advanced DNA from me and Isoka must have left something of the ancients in you. That would make her..." Jonas stopped, sudden realisation struck.

"Make her what?" William asked

"Hok'tar!" Janet finished. "The Goa'uld aren't after Isoka, they want Narumi"

Three Asgard ships appeared near Earth intercepting the Goa'uld ships that were still reaching their destination. Thor's ship and one other approached from behind leaving the trapped ships only one way out.

Sam turned the corner in the vent and stopped to catch her breath, she was about to set out again when she heard something, freezing again she looked around.

Sniff it was short and almost silent, but Sam could just hear it, she moved down the corridor a little way and paused. Sniff she was in the right direction, it was getting louder, She moved more and stopped again. Sniff not quite there yet, onward a little more. Sniff Sam turned round; the sound was not behind her. She waited, moments passed. Sniff Sam slid forward slightly. Sniff a little more. Sniff it was right there.

Confused, Sam started to feel the sides of the vent trying to find if there was any possible hiding place, then she spotted it, a small piece of blue material poking out from behind a panel. Sam grabbed it and gave a small pull the panel slipped of and Isoka scurried further into the corner of the vent, seeing Sam she slid quickly forward and wrapped her arms around her.

Sam slipped out of the vent and turned quickly to help Isoka out.

"Hey, look who I found." Sam said as she lowered Isoka to the ground.

"Issy." Janet said drawing Isoka's attention to her. Spotting the small bundle in Janet's arm Isoka took a few careful steps forward and bent over to glance at the package; Janet automatically moved the towel that covered the side of Narumi's face to give Isoka a better view and watched as the smile broke out her face.

Isoka took another step forward and crouched down next to Janet, she slowly raised her hand ran it just over Narumi's forehead, she didn't actually touch her, she was searching for something. Leaving her hand hovering over the baby she closed her eyes, Janet was watching the hand over Narumi, Jonas and William were watching everything with interest and Sam had her eyes fixed on the eye lids of Isoka. Everything seemed to have frozen, but just as quickly as it happened it was undone, Isoka stood up and smiled at Janet.

"She's special," was all she said, but it seemed like she knew it would happen, this caught Sam's attention.

"I am Thor. Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet. Your presence here is a violation of the Protected Planets Treaty and you must withdraw immediately."

The Asgard fleet met face to face with the Goa'uld ships that approached earth, Thor was in the best position of power to make the demand and as the Supreme Commander, was the only one in the fleet to have the right effect over the Goa'uld.

Thor sat in his usual chair watching the ship, they made no more towards or away from the planet, nor did they reply to his warning. Thor knew time was passing and that soon he would have to make his move. He had waited long enough. He opened communications to the other ships and ordered all to fire at will, then began to fire at the ships along with them.

The first ship was destroyed quickly, it was an old style Goa'uld ship and posed no threat to the Asgard, the second took a lot longer too exploded, and even took extra fire power from all the ships before it eventually exploded leaving only remnants of a battle in its wake.

This done, Thor and the other ships in his fleet approached Earth, they had a fair idea that the ship heading there were not the first Goa'uld or Jaffa to be in the area.

Sam was back in the air vents crawling along to the shaft searching for the other members of the SGC, this time however she had the company of Jonas Quinn and Ambassador Davidson.

They had almost covered all of this level and so far found no sign of the other SGC personnel. Sam stopped, there were only three other rooms left to try and her knees where hurting, she had been crawling these vents for well over an hour and a half and was in good need of a break.

Sitting with her back against one wall Sam pulled her legs up to her chest as William slid past her, he had stopped several times on the way around but had caught them up in good time to help carry on the search. She watched him disappear down another turning and almost jumped out of her skin when his head came back.

"They're down here" He told her after startling her with the word "Hey"

Sam moved to follow him and they slid down the tunnel and arrived at the opening where Sam had a good view of the back of General Hammond's head.

"Sir." Sam breathed trying to get his attention without getting the attention of the Jaffa who stood near the only door out of the room. "General!" Sam hissed a little louder, but instead of getting the General's attention she caught the ear of a nurse who was in a corner on the opposite wall.

Sam spotted her movements and signalled for her to get to the General and tell him she was there and then watched as she slowly pulled up from her spot and slowly made her way over to General Hammond.

"Sir," she whispered, "Major Carter is in the vent behind you." She then sat on the ground next to him. General Hammond had simply nodded at the information and after a few moments he slowly turned on his seat.

General Hammond stopped in motion only 90 degrees turned towards Sam; he could now see her out the corner of his eye which was all he needed. Glancing at the eight Jaffa stationed around the room he looked up at her and then towards Colonel O'Neill who had been watching him since the nurse approached him.

Jack took a look up in her direction and saw what the General was watching. Sam was signalling that she would return and then she was gone.

Janet sat uncomfortably against the wall with the vent cover on it listening to the sounds going on around her. Isoka was close by listening with her. The Jaffa had heard Narumi wake earlier for feeding but they couldn't pinpoint the location of the sound and had been trying every door and crack along this corridor for the last half an hour and they were getting closer.

A sudden bang close by made them jump and woke Narumi, Janet struggled to keep her from crying but failed and the small baby screamed out as another bang sounded on the other side. Silence. They were listening to the child and trying to locate it. Janet was praying they wouldn't.

Isoka stood and wandered over to the wall that should contain a door and pressed her ear against it, listening for any sound of the Goa'uld. She jumped back as a loud thud hit the wall near her ear, they knew where they were and they were determined to get in.

Janet climbed to her feet, the pain in her stomach still present from the birth and she reached out a hand to grab Isoka. Pulling her around she gave her Narumi and swung around to open the vent. Janet had barely touched the vent cover when she vanished from the room along with Isoka and Narumi.

Sam turned the corner back to the room where Janet and Isoka should have been but instead of seeing the secure hiding place with only three people in it. She saw an open wall straight ahead and around ten Jaffa piled into the room examining the items left lying around.

She slid backwards in the tunnel and signalled for Jonas to retreat, Jonas was halfway into returning down the vents when he realised why Sam would give this order and he tried to get past her to see what they were doing.

Sam grabbed him, covered his mouth and pinned him to the bottom of the vent so he couldn't make any noise but she only had to do this for a short time before the three of them vanished.

"My Lord, we found a hidden room. There is a pile of weapons in a corner and what looks like a sitting place for some people. There is also blood in the room; it matches the woman we seek."

A Jaffa soldier was given the unpleasant job of once again disappointing his God; they had once again failed to catch the female who carried the Hok'tar child.

"And what of the woman and her child?" Anubis questioned wanting this Jaffa to admit failure to him.

"No sign of either of them my lord." He said bowing his head hoping not to get killed for his lack of ability to please the lord he served.

Anubis took a single step forward and made a hardly noticeable signal to a nearby Jaffa guard who immediately raised his staff weapon and fired it killing the messenger who stood before Anubis.

"I want them NOW!" He yelled to every Jaffa in earshot.

Sam had Jonas pinned down and her hand still over his mouth as she looked around her new environment. She knew this place somehow, but it was different, trying to putting two and two together Sam didn't realise Jonas was struggling under her weight and suddenly jumped as a small hand grabbed her shoulder.

Flying around Sam released Jonas and found herself face to face with Thor.

"Thor!" Sam said a little shocked.

"Good afternoon Major Carter." Thor greeted in his usual manner and took a glance at the Ambassador he had seen once before in the conference room of the Pentagon when he had been informed of the Stargate Project.

"It's ok William, Thor's a friend." She told the Ambassador quickly realising he was slowly backing away.

"We've met; briefly, I just haven't quite got the hang of aliens just yet." He said stopping in mid step.

"Hey Thor!" Jonas said stretching out his back and receiving the nod from Thor at the same time. "What's going on?"

"The Goa'uld ships that were heading for Earth have been destroyed; I am currently locating all Jaffa and Goa'uld who are in Stargate Command." Thor informed them.

"Wait, did you say ships?" Sam asked receiving a nod for the small grey alien. "How many?" she asked but never got her answer as Jonas had a much better question to ask.

"Thor, you didn't happen to get Doctor Frasier and Isoka did you?" he asked.

"I did, they are in the room across the hall if you wish to see them, a medical Asgard is checking Doctor Frasier's and her baby's health." Jonas quickly thanked him and left.

Across the hall Jonas stepped into the room to find Gerd, Isoka, Janet and three Asgard. Not seeing Narumi, Jonas took a few quick steps forward and as he approached the group he realised where his baby girl was.

Narumi was wide awake in the arms of one of the Asgard. She was looking cautiously at the strange faces that looked back at her. Three curious Asgard faces looked down in wonder at the small child. They hadn't seen a newly born child since Isoka and only then had they been able to see her for a few moments.

Jonas bridged that gap between him and Janet and wrapped his arms around her leaving her sitting on the bed.

"Are you ok?" He whispered studying her face. Janet nodded and barely smiled at him before she yawned, she was now completely relaxed, she knew the Asgard would not harm her or Narumi and Isoka was extremely comfortable with them too.

Jonas, having seen the yawn, instinctively wrapped his arms tighter around the doctor before him and pulled her closer. She rested her head on his shoulder and watched the Asgard with her daughter for a few minutes before she fell asleep.

Jack glanced at his watch. Sam had been gone for almost an hour and she should have been back by now and he was beginning to wonder if something had happened. General Hammond had made plans to overthrow the Jaffa in the room and get as many people out as possible. Glancing at his watch and then at Jack he gave the signal to begin the attack.

Three SG units quickly began to close the gap between them and nearest Jaffa guards but didn't quite reach them before they vanished without a trace. Who vanished??

Anubis stood horrified at the sight of his guards vanishing before his eyes, he shouted a simple order and a Jaffa stepped onto the ramp activated a device on his arm and the Stargate opened.

Backing up the ramp Anubis shouted the order to retreat several times before stepping backward though the gate and out of sight.

Janet woke slightly dazed at the events of the day and was trying hard to focus on where she was when the sound of General Hammonds voice washed over her.

"She beautiful, whose choice was the name Narumi," was what she heard.

"Janet's, she named her after her great grandmother. I was gonna pick a middle name for her, but she decided to make an early appearance, so I guess she doesn't want one." Jonas told him.

"That's the way things always go, you have to be ready for the unexpected with children. You do realise what you've gotten yourself into, don't you?" the General said before turning and leaving.

"Jonas." Janet called after hearing the General leave.

"Hey gorgeous, did you have a good sleep?" Jonas asked stepping up to Janet's bed and taking her hand.

"We're back home?" Janet asked to confirm her thoughts as she didn't remember much after giving Narumi the Asgard who asked for the pleasure of holding her.

"Yeah, Thor got you out of that room before the Jaffa came in, and he had his medical team check you and Narumi out for possible problems. When he was convinced you were both fine he returned as all here. We've been back for hours. Thor had a request to make after finding Anubis here. Isoka is staying and so is Gerd and three other Asgard, we'll have a more secure base soon with the additions they are giving us in return for some space on the base." Jonas told her smiling as he usually did. "And the Asgard think that we'll need there help teaching Narumi to control a few gifts she got."

"Gifts?" Janet asked wondering if she was awake or dreaming this. "What gifts?"

"I'll explain when you've had more rest, you're still falling asleep." Jonas smiled and reached over and kissed her. "Sleep, everything's fine now, Narumi is safe."

Sam knocked on the door to Isoka's room and waited for her to answer. Isoka opened to door and seeing Sam she stepped aside to let her in. Sam stepped inside and cut to the chase.

"You knew Narumi would be a Hok'tar didn't you?" She said sitting on Isoka's bed.

"I did."

"How?" Sam's curiosity had been killing her since she had seen Isoka with Narumi for the first time.

"I gave Janet more than one gift, she'll discover the last one as Narumi grows." Isoka said smiling. "But I knew what I was doing would cause a reaction in her growth. I knew Jonas would go to Janet when they got home and I knew they would stay together. I also knew that Jonas was almost Hok'tar himself." Isoka finished opening the door to her room and stepping outside. "You want to come eat?" She offered to the stunned Sam who was still sitting on her bed.

Sam got up and stepped outside.

"Do you know what kind of `abilities' Narumi will get?" She asked walking down the corridor with Isoka. Isoka nodded and turned the corner. Sam knew Ioska wasn't going tell her, so she just swiped her card to open the elevator and they stepped inside.

~fin~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kira Rothery