Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

What Now?

by Kimberly
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
What Now?

What Now?

by Kimberly

Summary: Last time Sam was told Pete wasn't the guy for her. How will she respond?
Category: Angst
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/other
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/14/04

What now?

They had finished their post-mission check-ups and were waiting in the briefing room for the General. Nobody was really making eye contact and they weren't speaking.

The General entered. Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter both began to stand.

"At ease." The General waved to both officers, indicating that they should sit. "Report."

"There was an indication of naquada on the planet sir, but the natives were not interested in a treaty with Earth." Jack didn't think this would be enough to satisfy the General but he hoped to get out of this meeting without going into too many details. Those could wait until it was just he and the General.

"Why didn't they want a treaty?"

"They didn't think we were trustworthy, sir." The look on the General's face became concerned as Major Carter spoke.

"Why not?" All of SG-1, except Teal'c, shifted slightly in their chairs. They all seemed to be looking at the table or their hands.

"It was my fault, sir. One of their elders was somehow capable of reading our minds. He didn't like what he saw in me, sir."

"I'm afraid I'm going to need you to expand on that statement later Major."

"Yes, sir."

"Colonel, do you think the natives would be opposed to our sending a diplomatic team."

"I don't think they would be treated as hostiles, sir, but I doubt they could change their minds."

"I will consider that and make a decision after I read your complete reports. Is there anything else?" The General looked around the table. No one seemed to have anything to add. "Please have your complete reports on my desk by noon on Tuesday. You are all dismissed. Enjoy your weekend." They all thanked him and wished him the same.

The weekend! Somehow, Sam had forgotten it was Friday afternoon. Pete was supposed to be arriving this evening to spend the weekend. Their relationship had progressed to the point that he was coming down once or twice a month and staying the weekend at her place. It didn't seem worth it for him to pay for a motel room since he slept at her place anyway. Ok, so maybe sleep was exactly what happened but whatever.

What was she supposed to do now?

She stumbled out of the briefing room and went to her lab. Daniel, Teal'c, and Colonel O'Neill let her leave without saying a word. That surprised her. She figured Daniel would have plenty to say to her.

Once she got into her lab, she turned on her computer and began writing her report. She still had a few hours until Pete would arrive. She could put off thinking about what the old man said if she kept herself busy.

A knock on her lab door tore her attention from the document she was typing. Daniel stuck his head around the door. She knew he would be the first to show up.

"Hey, Sam. Hungry?"

"Maybe a little but I have plans for dinner so I shouldn't eat."

"Plans?"

"Yeah. Pete's coming to town tonight."

"Oh, right, Pete." Daniel shifted his weight from foot to foot and stared at the blinking cursor on her computer. "Are you going to tell him what happened on this mission?"

"You know I can't discuss missions with Pete."

"You know what I mean, Sam."

"What do you think I should do? Should I tell him some old alien thinks I'm using him for his body? How about I mention that the old guy thinks I'm in love with someone else?"

"I might not put it that way, if I was you."

"Have you considered that the old guy saw it all wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"My relationship with Pete is still very new. We don't know each other well yet. I have had a relationship with you, Teal'c, and Colonel O'Neill for over eight years. I have slept with you three more then Pete." Daniel eyes opened wide at that comment. "I mean really sleep not *sleep*."

"Oh, right. Sorry."

"The four of us have seen each other through more then most married couples ever face. We have a bond no one can ever hope to destroy. Can't that old guy have seen that bond and misread it? There's no way Pete and I could have a relationship to rival that in such a short period of time."

"I guess it does make sense."

"Damn right it does."

"So I guess that means you're not going to say anything to Pete."

"I doubt it. All it would do is cause trouble."

"Are you going to add your explanation to your report?"

"General Hammond has already asked to meet with me Monday morning. I'll discuss my interpretation with him and see what he wants."

"Makes sense." Daniel couldn't stop nodding his head. "I hope you have a nice dinner. Enjoy your weekend. I'll see you Monday."

"Thanks for coming by to check on me Daniel. Will you tell Teal'c and Colonel O'Neill I'm alright?"

"Of course. Night Sam."

"Well, Daniel, how's she doing."

"Denial." Jack was eating red Jello, Daniel was drinking coffee and looking at his apple pie, while Teal'c was on his third bowl of fruit salad.

"What do you mean, DanielJackson?"

"She thinks her relationship with Pete just hasn't gotten serious enough yet. She thinks the old guy misread her."

"Should we do something to help her see reality?"

"I don't think we need to do anything Teal'c. Knowing Carter she won't be able to keep the old guy off her mind this weekend."

"Yeah, Teal'c. No matter what she says I think she and Pete are in for a rough weekend."

"The best thing we can do is be here Monday morning ready to help pick up the pieces."

"I understand O'Neill. I will be prepared."

"In the mean time are you guys interested in coming over tomorrow night. I'll order the pizza."

"Sure Jack, why not. Want a ride Teal'c?"

"Yes, thank-you DanielJackson."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly