Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Carter Curse, The

by Kimberly
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Carter Curse

The Carter Curse

by Kimberly

Summary: Pete dies a horrible death and Sam is seriously injured. Sam has to testify to complete Pete's last assignment.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor character death, minor language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/29/04

The Carter Curse

"Hey Carter! Daniel, Teal'c, and I though we would grab some burgers and shakes and then go bowling. Do you want to come along?"

"Sorry, sir. I can't."

"You may not stay here and work while we are relaxing. I'll make it an order."

"We have discussed this before, sir. You can't order me to have dinner with you and go bowling."

"I can order you to get off the base and stop working."

"I am leaving the base and I don't plan on doing any work tonight. Thanks for the invitation anyway, sir."

"Your welcome. Have fun." Jack watched her as she went around the corner towards the locker room. Carter was busy? He should have gotten use to this while she was dating Pete but it still made him a little crazy. Carter was building a life without him. That was at least a three beer realization!

While Teal'c bowled his fourth strike in a row Jack looked up from his beer, "Do either of you know why Carter was busy tonight?"

"Pete is coming over." Daniel didn't look at Jack as he answered. He was getting ready to get his ball since he was next to bowl.

"I thought things were over between her and Pete." Jack tried to sound casual but he failed miserably.

"They remain friends although their sexual relationship has ended. He has returned to get things he left at her home." Teal'c and Daniel both knew about tonight and she hadn't said anything to him. Wait! Did Teal'c say sexual relationship? No! I can't go there!

After they finished bowling Daniel and Teal'c went back to Jack's and watched a movie before crashing in his spare room. They could both tell Jack wasn't interested in being alone.

"Wake up Danny boy!"

"Jack, hasn't anybody ever explained the concept of sleeping in on the weekend?"

"If we don't hurry Carter might eat breakfast without us."

"What are you talking about Jack?"

"Since Carter couldn't go out with us last night I figure we can take her out for breakfast this morning."

"Shouldn't you call her first?"

"I did, several times, but the line is busy. Hurry up!"

It only took Daniel ten minutes to get out the door to join Jack and Teal'c since he had slept in his clothes. Jack was in an exceptionally good mood this morning, especially since he had seemed so down the night before.

They parked in front of Major Carters house. Her car and bike were still in the open Garage so Jack figured she was home. He just hoped they had gotten here before she had eaten breakfast.

"O'Neill!" Teal'c was looking at something on the front stoop. Jack went over and blanched at what he saw. Blood. There were several spots on the steps and smudge on the doorknob. He tried to not think the worst.

He tried the doorknob but it was locked. He knocked once. There was no sound in reply. He reached under the rim of her flowerpot and found the spare key she kept taped there. He opened the door slowly.

"Daniel, you stay out here until we say it is all clear. If you hear trouble, go for backup."

Daniel nodded his head. Teal'c followed the Colonel inside. Jack looked down the hall and he could see more blood. Lots more blood. Too much blood. Teal'c looked in the kitchen and nodded that it was clear. When Jack got to the living room his heart stopped. She was tied to a chair, probably a kitchen chair he thought. He face was one big bruise. Both of her arms were lying at angles that could only occur if her they were broken. There were large wounds to both of her legs, probably gun shot wounds. She was so pale. He didn't know if she was alive.

He checked her bedroom, quickly. Teal'c checked the rest of the house. Once they nodded to each other he ran back to Carter while Teal'c gave Daniel the all clear.

Jack checked her pulse. It was so slow and weak but it was there. She was barely breathing. Daniel paled at the site. He grabbed his cell phone and called 911. Teal'c was with the other person, who was also tied to a chair. Somehow Jack had managed to barely even notice there was another person, or should he say body, in the room. Whoever it was they couldn't have survived the gun shot to the head. This had been an execution. The questions in Jack's mind were who was the target, who did it, and why.

The paramedics and police couldn't hide their shock at the site. They stabilized Carter and rushed her out. The police had many questions. Jack told them they could ask them at the hospital just as well as here. Daniel and Teal'c were already headed to his truck. They couldn't keep up with the ambulance but they weren't far behind.

"Daniel, call the General. Tell him to get Jacob and his magic healing powers here as soon as possible."

"Right." Daniel got the General at home but he knew that the General would be back at the SGC calling the Tokra as soon as possible. He figured the General would show up at the hospital soon afterward.

They weren't allowed to see her for over two hours. The general arrived about an hour after everybody else. The police informed them that the other person in Sam's house had been Detective Pete Shannon, a police detective from Denver. They did not have any leads about who had done this nor why it had happened. They estimated the attack had taken place between ten and midnight the night before. Sam's neighbors reported hearing a fight around that time but none of them had called the police. Damn them!

The doctor who came into the waiting area looked somber. It was a look O'Neill had seen before, and one he had hoped to never see again.

"She has multiple facial fractures and a skull fracture. There are five broken ribs. Both of her arms are broken and she was shot once in each leg. There is some minor internal bleeding which we will be monitoring. I am hoping that she will not require surgery. She is not stable enough for surgery right now, due to the skull fracture and the loss of blood. The pressure inside her head is rising due to the skull fracture. We have drilled a hole in her head to release some of the pressure. If necessary we may have to temporarily remove a portion of her skull but we won't know about that for several hours."

Nobody wanted to ask it but the General knew it had to be done. "What are her chances?"

"I'm shocked she survived at least eight hours lying in her home after being attacked this viciously. If she can survive that then I am hopeful that she will make it. After the first twenty-four hours we will know more about her chances, not only for survival but also for recovery."

"When can we see her?" Jack didn't look at the doctor as he spoke. He didn't want to see the look on his face.

"Two people can go in at a time for five minutes every half hour during visiting hours. Has her family been contacted?"

"Her father lives very far away but we are attempting to get word to him. I am sure he will be here as soon as he can." Nobody made eye contact as the General made this true although incomplete statement.

"You may each come in to see her for a few minutes now. Please be prepared for all of the tubes and wires. Because of the swelling caused by the facial fractures and the possibility of lung damage due to the broken ribs we have put her on a ventilator. She doesn't look like the person you are use to seeing. Talk to her. Let her know you are here. It will help."

Jack and the General went first. Jack was shocked at the site of her. He knew it had to be worse for the General who hadn't seen her at all since it happened. They each held onto a few fingers protruding from the casts on both of her arms. They told her they were here for her and that her Dad would be here soon.

Daniel and Teal'c went in next. They also found the fingers protruding from her casts and whispered get-well wishes.

The General left after seeing Sam. He wanted to be at the SGC when Jacob arrived. He also wanted to stay on top of the Tok'ra until Jacob arrived. Sam's best chance of recovery laid in the hope that Jacob would pop in, soon.

"Jack, what happened to her?" Sometimes Jack forgot that Daniel hadn't had enough of these experiences to be able to recognize torture.

"If I had to guess I would say she was pistol whipped and beaten. They probably shot her in the legs and broke her arms because she resisted. Pete looked like he had been roughed up before they shot him. Whoever did this wanted information."

"These are not Goa'uld tactics O'Neill."

"No Teal'c they aren't. I'm afraid this is Tau'ri torture."

It took the Tok'ra almost eight hours to reach Jacob. As soon as he heard Sam needed him immediately, he gated to Earth. The look on George's face told him it was bad.

"Where is she?"

"Colorado General."

"Why isn't she here?"

"She was attacked in her home."

"Who? When?"

"We don't know who. It happened last night. We need to get you and your healing device to her as soon as possible."

As soon as they got to the hospital they chased out the nurses and pulled the curtain. Teal'c and Daniel stood guard while the General and Jack watched Jacob. When Carter began to protest they removed her breathing tube.

"Stop ........Dad, stop." She was so quiet they weren't sure they had heard her correctly.

Jacob stopped and looked at Sam. "Sam, you were very badly beaten. I have just begun to repair you skull fracture. There is a lot more damage to repair before I can stop."

"No. You must stop now. I can't be healed yet."

The three men just looked at each other as if Sam must be insane, or possibly infected by some alien.

"Carter, you need to let your Dad finish."

"No. I know who did this and his trial continues on Monday. I have to be there, like this, to tell what he did to me and to.....Pete."

"This is ridiculous. You can testify after being healed." It was clear that Jack was determined to get her well, immediately.

"They wouldn't believe me. I have to be like this."

"Listen Sam. I can partially heal some of the fractures, so you are in less pain, but leave all of the visible injuries."

They could tell Sam was trying to think about what her father offered. It was obvious that even thinking hurt. That was bad news for Sam, who was always thinking about something.

"Agreed." Jacob got to work as soon as she said it. Jack let out the breath he didn't even realize he was holding.

It took Jacob almost thirty minutes to finish. He was very weak when it was over. Teal'c and Daniel were facing down some very angry nurses who were insisting that they had the check Sam's vital signs. They had already called security.

"I can't stay here. If they find out I'm alive I won't stay that way."

By the time security had arrived Jack had already packed Sam's stuff, what little there was, and grabbed some hospital supplies lying near by. The General had found a wheelchair while Jacob had removed the tubes and wires attached to Sam.

The nurses and security guards had a fit as they wheeled her out of ICU. There was no way any hospital personnel were going to stop them. They got Sam into Jack's truck and headed straight for the infirmary at the SGC. They all knew if somebody from Earth was after Sam they wouldn't be able to get her in the SGC.

Once at the SGC the medical staff got her hooked back up to all sort of machines with too many tubes and wires. They were equally shocked at the severity of her injuries and the way she looked.

Sam told them that four thugs rang her doorbell while she and Pete were having a good-bye dinner. She had assumed it was the rest of SG-1, not taking her no seriously, when she went to the door. As soon as she opened the door, they grabbed her and used her to get Pete to drop his gun.

They tied them both to chairs. Pete was the first one beaten. They demanded that he lie on the stand on Monday. He refused to change his testimony. He had all the evidence he needed to bring down the largest drug cartel in the Pacific Northwest and they weren't going to get him to back down. That was when they turned to Sam.

They thought going after the girl would change his mind. She set them straight pretty quickly. There was no way she would let him back down, no matter how much he might want to do it just to protect her. They shot her in the legs when she kicked one of them, where she knew it would hurt the most. The arm breaking and broken ribs were to get Pete to change his mind. The pistol whipping was due to her mouth, why did she pick up these traits from O'Neill. She heard them shoot Pete after they finally conceded that they weren't going to get him to agree to lie. She could only assume they thought she was already dead or they would have shot her.

After hearing everything, SG-1 and Jacob decided they would all be taking Sam to the trial on Monday in Denver. Daniel called the prosecutor to set everything up. Sam rested in the SGC, as best as she could since she was still hurting all over, until Sunday afternoon.

On Sunday her four escorts loaded her into a rented SUV and took her to a luxurious hotel in Denver. If only she had felt good, this would have been a wonderful trip, her Dad, her three best friends, and a great view.

Teal'c, Daniel, and Jack took turns standing guard Sunday night while Jacob took care of Sam. With both of her arms in casts and unable to walk she couldn't do anything for herself. Jacob and Sam were both more comfortable with him taking care of her personal needs so he got all the fun jobs. Jack did help her eat and he read to her some while Jacob rested. By Monday morning, they all looked tired.

The prosecutor had instructed them to park in the secured lot under the courthouse. There were guards all over the building. The news of her survival had leaked out but no one except the prosecutor knew she was coming to the trial.

The court had already been informed that the prosecutor's lead witness, Detective Pete Shannon, had been murdered over the weekend. The district attorney then told the court there was a witness to the murder and she was here to testify about what was said while Detective Shannon was being murdered. He said the statements made during the murder would apply directly to this trial. The defense attorney said he had not had a chance to question the witness and he was opposed to allowing her testimony.

After a short recess the judge decided to allow Major Carter to testify. He said that the defense could use lunch to prepare their questions after hearing the Major testify.

Her father wheeled Major Carter into the courtroom with Colonel O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel following right behind them.

"I am sorry for breaking military protocol Your Honor but my Class A's wouldn't fit over the casts."

The Judge smiled at Major Carter. He knew being here took a lot of strength. "I understand Major. Are you sure you feel capable of testifying today?"

"Yes, Your Honor. I need to do this."

The Judge nodded. Major Carter was sworn in while she sat in her wheel chair in front of the stand. She identified two of attackers, the defendants sitting at the far table. She told how they had tried to pressure Pete into changing his testimony and that they had shot him in the back of the head after beating them both senseless.

During lunch the prosecutor told Sam that they had arrested the other two men who had participated in the murder and all four were being booked as they spoke. After lunch the defense asked about her relationship with Pete. She tried to not look at Jack as she told about their dates and how he had come over that night for a last good-bye. She couldn't stop the silent tears. She didn't realize it but those tears had sealed the fate of the two murders as far as the jurors were concerned. The defense tried to get her to say she wasn't sure of her attackers identity but she made it clear that she was positive. He assured the defense that the forensic evidence would support her claims.

As soon as she finished testifying the guys took her back to the SGC. Her father finished healing her. He wanted to stay a few more days but the Tok'ra insisted he return immediately. She let him go with a big hug and a thank-you. Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c promised to look after her.

Sam was in no hurry to go home. She went straight back to work in her lab. She spent three days and nights in the mountain. Jack and Daniel knew she was avoiding her house, and perhaps life in general. Finally, Daniel couldn't take it any longer and he convinced her to let him take her home, at least long enough to get more clothes and pick up her car. She got out of his car as soon as he pulled into the driveway.

"Thanks Daniel, but I need to do this alone." She didn't even let him turn off the car.

"I'll see you at Jack's tonight for pizza and movies, right?"

"Of course."

She moved towards her house, slowly. Daniel sat waiting. She turned and waved to him. He took the hint and drove off to pick up a movie and some sodas for tonight.

Daniel went back to the SGC to pick up Teal'c around 1800. Sam wasn't there yet. Jack had already ordered the pizzas. By 1900 he was beginning to worry about Sam. There was no answer when he called.

"Hey, Danny, how did Sam do when you took her home today?"

"She seemed alright."

"How long did you hang around?"

"She wanted to go in by herself."

"You just left her!"

"It was what she wanted!" Jack was out the door before Daniel even finished. Daniel and Teal'c didn't make it to the door before O'Neill had already sped off.

"Sam?" The lights were off in her house and the door was locked. Jack knocked twice before looking for the spare key that wasn't there any more. He started walking around the house, looking in all of the windows, as Daniel and Teal'c pulled up.

They found her sitting on the back porch. She was laying on a reclining deck chair looking up at the stars. The tear streaks were evident in the moonlight shining on her face. The half empty bottle of vodka and shot glass were obvious also.

"Carter? What are you doing out here?" Jack held his hand up indicating that Daniel and Teal'c should stay back.

"Just relaxing."

"I was expecting you for pizza and movie night."

"I was busy."

"Getting drunk?"

"Looks that way." She gave a sick low giggle.

"Was that a new bottle when you got started?"

"Yep."

"It's cold out tonight and you have had enough to drink. Let's go in together and get you some water and a warm bed."

"I'm not going in. I'm never going back in there."

"Ok. You can come to my place."

"Thanks, but no. Just go away."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Too hell your not!"

"Calm down Carter. I know this has been tough but we're here for you. Let's us help you."

"It's too dangerous."

"What is too dangerous?"

"Being with me."

"I don't understand. Come back to my place and explain it to me."

Her voice was barely above a whisper but he heard her. "Just go away before the curse gets you too."

"Curse?" Jack looked back at Daniel and Teal'c. Daniel face tensed. Jack motioned for Teal'c to come and sit with Carter while he took Daniel back around to the front of the house.

"Daniel, what happened?"

"It was two of the lab techs in Sam's lab, just before I brought her home. I heard them talking about the Carter curse, the one where every guy she likes dies."

"Damn it!"

"I didn't think she heard it. I didn't even she her around. I called the two techs on it and told them if they were that stupid they didn't need to be working at the SGC. I promise I tore them to pieces."

"Alright." Jack ran his hand through his hair and looked at his feet. "I don't know what to do Daniel."

"I have no idea Jack. How can we prove the idea of a curse is ridiculous, especially since she isn't thinking clearly at the moment?"

"Take Teal'c back to the SGC. I'll call you both tomorrow, after I call the General and get us all a week off. We will help her work through this." Jack turned back and walked to the backyard.

Daniel and Teal'c left, although Teal'c made it clear he wished to stay until O'Neill gave him a look that said 'Go! Now!'.

Jack sat beside Sam. "I understand feeling cursed. Look at my life. My sorrows and regrets are piled high. Anyway, I have died more times then I care to remember. No Carter curse is strong enough to get to me. I am the safest person you could ever be around."

Teal'c had already taken the vodka and shot glass so there wasn't anything Sam could do with her hands but put them in her lap. The tears started all over again. She was so tired of the tears! Jack grabbed her and held her tight as she cried. "I can help if you let me." She nodded yes.

Jack took Sam to his house and put her in his bed. She didn't let go of his hand so he sat down beside her.

"Stay."

"I shouldn't."

"I need to know you are here and alive."

"You keep me alive. I couldn't do this everyday if it wasn't for you."

She smiled, a small tight grin, and looked into his eyes. Her vulnerability cut him to the core. She needed him as much as he needed her and now he knew it, he saw it. He took off his shoes and crawled in bed behind her. He put his arms around her and pulled her back against him.

"We can get through this, together."

"Thank-you, Jack."

It was a long time before they fell asleep. They were both enjoying how right they felt together.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly