Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Adios

by Kimberly
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Adios

Adios

by Kimberly

Summary: Carter has to reexamine her reasons for being with Pete.
Category: Angst
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/11/04

Adios

Jack couldn't help bouncing a little. He was bored. The walk through the city was nice, even if he did have to stay on guard since it was a city on an alien world where only Daniel understood the language. Now he was stuck in some pompous looking building listening to gobbledy gook he didn't understand while Daniel did the usual 'Hi, we came through the stargate to meet you, we are friendly, are there any Goa'uld here' routine.

"Jack, Naythan says he would be interested in discussing being friends with Earth." Daniel was tilting his head toward a middle-aged man who appeared to be the leader of this city or possibly the planet for all Jack knew.

"Sir, the tests I ran earlier indicate the possibility for a significant presence of naquada. It would be nice to establish a level of relations that would allow us to return and conduct more tests and possibly negotiate for some mining in the future."

"You don't have to tell me to play nice Carter. I always play nice." Daniel couldn't help but snort.

"Yes, sir."

"Indeed, O'Neill."

"Is it pick on Jack day?" His teammates just smiled. Naythan sensed the lull and began speaking with Daniel again.

"He says that he can not enter into a friendship with us until he gets the approval of the wizened."

"Then I guess we should meet the wizard." Daniel shook his head and went back to babbling with Naythan while Jack kept looking around the room. He really needed a change in scenery. Naythan stepped down and motioned for SG-1 to follow him. Jack was thrilled at the chance to go anywhere else other than this room, which had lost its entertainment value long ago.

SG-1 was led to plush bedroom. An old man sat in a chair by the window reading a book. Naythan went over to him and squatted down to speak quietly with the old man. Naythan stood and helped the old man out of the chair. Jack saw that the view out of the window was exquisite. There was a huge garden full of colorful flowers and an extensive hedge maze. Naythan spoke to Daniel, who translated for the rest of SG-1.

"Naythan wishes for us the let this man examine each of us. If he approves of us then we can be friends."

"What does he mean by examine?" Jack hadn't been through many examinations, medical or educational, that were any fun.

"I'm not sure but I'm willing to go first. How much harm can he do to me?"

"Daniel, haven't you been working with us for the last eight years? Don't say things like that."

"Don't be silly Jack."

The old man walked up to Daniel and put his hand on Daniel's arm. Daniel thought he might need some extra support so he extended his arm out a bit and stiffened his muscles. The old man bent his head down and closed his eyes. No one in the room moved. Not a breath could be heard. After a couple of quiet, still moments the old man looked at Daniel and began to speak to him.

Daniels eyes widened and he looked momentarily grief stricken. As the man spoke, Daniel slowly nodded while he maintained eye contact. When the old man was silent, Daniel spoke back and then began to explain what had happened.

"He said that I hold my self well considering the burden of grief I carry. My light shines bright and he sees joy returning to my life."

"He's a fortune teller?"

"I don't think so Jack. Somehow I know he has seen the real me from the inside out. It doesn't hurt. I actually feel like a weight I didn't know I carried has been lifted from me."

"Ok....."

"Just trust me Jack. All he wants to do is touch your hand."

"I have to hold his hand?"

"Jack." Daniel's exasperation was apparent and Jack didn't feel like continuing to tease him. "If we are going to make nice with the natives you have to let the old man know you are ok." Daniel smiled his best be nice to aliens smile as he spoke to Jack.

"Fine." Jack held his hand out towards the old man. The aged hand reached out. He placed his thumb on the back of Jack's left hand and curled his fingers around the outside of his hand. Again, the old man stood still, bowed his head, and closed his eyes. After he let go of Jack's hand he began to speak softly to Daniel.

"He said you have done much of which you are not proud and you have survived a great darkness but your heart is bright. He suggests you begin to listen more to your heart so you can again reclaim the joy which you have earned." Jack smiled warmly at the elderly man and nodded his head in thanks.

Teal'c was the next person the man reached out towards. The Jaffa extended his hand as if to provide support. The old man resumed the same bowed position and again began to quietly concentrate. When he was done, he turned towards Daniel and spoke again.

"He said you have conquered the evil that controlled you and that your deeds to help others gain their freedom have freed your soul. He said as long as you remain true to yourself you will continue down a righteous path." The edges of Teal'c's mouth curled and he bowed his head towards the old man. Teal'c helped the old man step to Carter. Carter had heard the kind words spoken to her friends and she was looking forward to hearing her fortune.

The old man took a hold of Carter's hand as if he had just asked her to dance. She smiled at him as he bowed his head and closed his eyes. He held her hand for much longer then he had with any of the other members of SG-1. Carter was just beginning to wonder if maybe this old guy could be a bit of a pervert when he finally let go. He looked up into Carter's eyes. Neither of them moved for several minutes. He turned and shuffled out of the door without speaking.

"What did you think to him Carter?"

"I didn't think or do anything to him, sir. I wonder what he saw in me that made him leave without saying anything."

"I guess you just left him speechless, like so many of your young lab assistants."

"Sir!"

Naythan reappeared and motioned for SG-1 to follow him. He walked them to the front entrance of the 'palace' and spoke to Daniel.

"He thanked us for coming but said his people can not be friends with us."

"Why not?" Daniel turned and spoke to Naythan. Jack hated waiting on the sidelines for the captions. He decided he would speak to Carter about making one of those Star Trek translation devices that would kick in the minute you pass through the gate.

"He says our people do not respect love and cause pain through the most evil of deception."

"Where the hell did he get that?" All three members of SG-1 turned to look at Sam.

"I have no idea what he is talking about, sir."

"Daniel, ask him what the old man felt when he touched Carter." Daniel went back to speaking with Naythan.

"He doesn't know but he will allow us to ask him."

"Carter, I'll leave it up to you whether you want to come along or stay here."

"I wouldn't let you go without me." All four members of SG-1 followed Naythan back to the old man's room. Naythan spoke to the old man and then to Daniel.

"He says he will tell Carter if she is sure she wants to know but he wants her to be warned that she will not like what she hears."

"I can handle it." Sam lifted her shoulders and straightened her back as she spoke. The old man motioned her to sit on the stool in front of him.

Slowly she stepped over to him and sat down. For a moment, they just looked at each other and then he began to speak. They didn't break eye contact, even as Daniel began to translate.

"You have ignored love for duty. You are not alone among your people in doing this. There are times when duty can be the most honorable choice and this I would not have held against you. What I, and my people, cannot forgive is your choice to deceive yourself and another pretending to love. You are knowingly destroying your own heart and the heart and soul of an innocent for your own physical pleasure. People who can treat each other so carelessly cannot be trusted as friends."

Carter went pale and a tear streaked down her face. She began to shake. No one in the room made eye contact with her. As her shaking stopped, she slowly stood. She looked down at the old man, turned, and walked out of the door towards the exit.

SG-1 made their way back to the gate in silence. There was no way to keep this out of their reports. What was worse was that she knew the old man was right. She wasn't being fair to herself or Pete. Most especially, she wasn't being fair to Jack.

She could only hope that he could understand why she had done this and not hold it against her as the aliens had done.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly